PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Solberg

Pages : [1] 2

Sulland
13th August 2019, 23:45
I guess Oliver will be interesting for WRC2 Pro teams (If it continues) in 2020.

Who will snap him first in your opinion?

janvanvurpa
14th August 2019, 03:08
I guess Oliver will be interesting for WRC2 Pro teams (If it continues) in 2020.

Probably Papa Petter pays a princely pile of Pounds which will prompt a "upp-snapping"

pantealex
14th August 2019, 05:27
He doesn´t go same place where Kalle goes ...

EstWRC
14th August 2019, 05:47
well, there isnt room for everybody in Toyota.

deephouse
14th August 2019, 07:58
well, there isnt room for everybody in Toyota.

What teams? How many are there? (I mean factory ones). M-Sport are money making. Citroen doesn't want any extra costs just free marketing. Hyundai lost interest doing it. Toyota can't have it since they have not made a car yet. Only Skoda remains and also they are not sure if they will stay in WRC2 Pro.

rallyfiend
14th August 2019, 09:46
What teams? How many are there? (I mean factory ones). M-Sport are money making. Citroen doesn't want any extra costs just free marketing. Hyundai lost interest doing it. Toyota can't have it since they have not made a car yet. Only Skoda remains and also they are not sure if they will stay in WRC2 Pro.

M-Sport also make money investing in drivers and then taking a portion of their income for many years afterwards (Neuville, Tanak....).

Oliver would be a good target for this.

Entertainer
14th August 2019, 11:13
Probably Papa Petter pays a princely pile of Pounds which will prompt a "upp-snapping"

Don't think Solbergs has tons of cash to send in, but Oliver's talent alone should be more than enough to put him in Skoda WRC2 Pro for a season, like Tidemand/Rovanperä. But ok, if Petter decides to call it a day on motorsports alltogether..

denkimi
15th August 2019, 12:36

Most likely there will be no more wrc pro farce next year, so it's no issue which car he will ride. The only issue is who will pay for it.

Sulland
15th August 2019, 19:26
Most likely there will be no more wrc pro farce next year, so it's no issue which car he will ride. The only issue is who will pay for it.

Hopefully no more Pro series.

Solberg Clan is currently mostly using VAG products. Subaru as they use in the US, have no model apart from BRZ (GT86) that can be used for Rally, even that one has some limitations.

If VAG has plans for Rally, once it turns Hybrid/Electric, they should sign Oliver now.
If not, I would say that Ford should sign him, thinking future WRC drive.

The Hyundai R5 also need to be evolved to be a winner, they could also be in the market for a two step program for Oliver.

My bet as of today would be VAG as number 1, and Ford as number 2 in low odds!

mknight
15th August 2019, 19:37
I can totally see him doing 5-8 WRC rounds in Polo paid mostly with sponsor+own money. Too early for anyone to sign him imo, at least before Wales.

In terms of "factory" WRC2/R5 drives the only one that makes sense is Skoda. C3 is still a bit of a mess, Fiesta unproven and seemingly lacking and I20 outpaced+fragile. Or said in other words, anything but a Fabia Evo is a clear downgrade from his private Polo

cali
15th August 2019, 20:17
Hopefully no more Pro series.

Solberg Clan is currently mostly using VAG products. Subaru as they use in the US, have no model apart from BRZ (GT86) that can be used for Rally, even that one has some limitations.

If VAG has plans for Rally, once it turns Hybrid/Electric, they should sign Oliver now.
If not, I would say that Ford should sign him, thinking future WRC drive.

The Hyundai R5 also need to be evolved to be a winner, they could also be in the market for a two step program for Oliver.

My bet as of today would be VAG as number 1, and Ford as number 2 in low odds!Using i20 R5 would damage Oliver's chances to be a top driver significantly and while so it cannot make the flawed car any better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Sulland
31st August 2019, 17:29
I think he is very happy with the Polo, and Petter still has a good relationship with VW, so might be a possibility for a R5 WRC2 campaign.

But as things have started for the new Fiesta, MSport might want to sign Oliver already now!

RS
31st August 2019, 19:36
If Skoda continue they will need someone to replace Kalle. I don’t know who else they would go for, Gryazin maybe.

Jarek Z
15th September 2019, 10:28
Oliver Solberg won Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally, a round of American Rally Association National Championship. Solberg, who is a Subaru USA driver, was 55 seconds faster than the famous Brithish driver David Higgins. Third was Barry McKenna from Ireland and fourth Piotr Fetela from Poland. The first American driver was down in the 5th position :)

Final results of 43. WASTE MANAGEMENT SUSQUEHANNOCK TRAIL PERFORMANCE RALLY:
1. Oliver Solberg/Aaron Johnston (N/GB) Subaru WRX STI 2:10.38,9
2. David Higgins/Craig Drew (GB) Subaru WRX STI +55,4
3. Barry McKenna/Andy Hayes (IRL) Ford Fiesta S2000 Turbo +13.00,8
4. Piotr Fetela/Dominik Jóźwiak (PL) Ford Fiesta Proto +17.25,9
5. Cameron Steely/Preston Osborn (USA) Subaru Impreza WRX STI +21.31,2
6. Seamus Burke/Martin Brady (IRL) Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX +23.57,6
7. Martin Donnelly/Andrew Browne (IRL) Ford Fiesta R5 +26.32,3
8. Nathan Usher/Marianna Usher (USA) Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon +33.35,0
9. Michael Hooper/Claudia Barbera (USA/I) Lexus IS 350 +35.28,4
10. Jonathan Kramer/Jason Smith (USA) Subaru Impreza +35.53,9

American Rally Association National Championship standings:
1. Higgins 114 ,
2. Fetela 84 ,
McKenna 84,
4. Solberg 75,
5. Steely 71,
6. Pastrana 31,
7. Seehorn 26,
8. Burke 23,
9. Miller 20,
Wallingford 20.

A bunch of photos and video can be found at https://twitter.com/oliversolberg01

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEcsqMmXoAAwgqH.jpg:small

KKS
15th September 2019, 20:00
Solberg won ... a round of American Rally Association National Championship. ... famous Brithish driver David Higgins. ... from Ireland and fourth Piotr Fetela from Poland.
Really American championship :D Looks like you did everything in Europe - go to America and became a champion a few times again.

Gregor-y
16th September 2019, 14:59
There's one factory team and to compete against that you need a lot of money and personal interest. Luckily there are several British, Irish and Polish millionaires slumming in the US that also love to drive or sponsor rally.

74 entries isn't too bad, either. I only hope I can spare time for the last rally at the end of October. Lake Superior starts to get snow around then.

Sulland
16th September 2019, 15:44
Lokks like roads and rallies are very good, but rally is not a typical US sport where you can see everything sitting in one place. But with the right names, right cars (R2, R4 and R5 + open class) in addition the right PR it sure has potential.

Rallyper
16th September 2019, 18:52
It´s not only PR. That´s a minor part.

If you didn´t get it; this is an important part of Olivers education. I woudn´t be surpriced if he smashes all WRC2 Pros and WRC2 guys in Wales. I think even not Kalle had this massive experience before taking part in WRC circus...

Jarek Z
22nd September 2019, 20:31
"Born2Drive" - a documentary movie about Oliver Solberg is going to have its European premiere at the Warsaw Film Festival in Poland.
Details at:
https://wff.pl/en/film/born2drive-35

pantealex
23rd September 2019, 12:51
Oliver 18y today.

Let´s if he will do all remaining WRC2019 events.

AnttiL
25th September 2019, 19:22
Passed the driver's exam today

Sulland
1st November 2019, 08:25
Any news on Oliver in the silly season for 2020?

skarderud
1st November 2019, 08:38
Not news, but rumours that he got a 3-year deal with skoda.
Some news next week i presume.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

mknight
1st November 2019, 08:43
I thought Skoda was puling out completely?

Sub_Skoda
1st November 2019, 08:47
Any news on Oliver in the silly season for 2020?

He wants to do WRC-2/WRC-3 next year, it seems that he is more interested by a private team (PSR/KMS with a Polo maybe).

Mirek
1st November 2019, 09:39
I thought Skoda was puling out completely?

Nobody seems to know atm...

sinepikohv
2nd November 2019, 07:05
He wants to do WRC-2/WRC-3 next year, it seems that he is more interested by a private team (PSR/KMS with a Polo maybe).

Well, he owns a Polo. Seems like a private team is the way to go for him.

Besides, Petter said that he won't invest anymore in Oliver's career. The 200 000 euro Polo was his last investment. So why should he turn to Škoda, even if they continue as a manufacturer?

deephouse
2nd November 2019, 08:39
Starting fine, logistics, repairing & regular costs (fuel, tyres), accomodations. Do you think that this investment about 200 000 Polo cover all that for a season in WRC2 or WRC3. No it doesn't. It's just the car itself.

sinepikohv
2nd November 2019, 08:45
Starting fine, logistics, repairing & regular costs (fuel, tyres), accomodations. Do you think that this investment about 200 000 Polo cover all that for a season in WRC2 or WRC3. No it doesn't. It's just the car itself.

Of course I know that. I didn't think that 200 000 covers his season. I'm not stupid. If a JWRC season costs 150 000 + testing/travelling etc then a R5 season is considerably more expensive.

But wouldn't moving to Škoda make his Polo redundant? That's why I also think being a privateer makes more sense.

dimviii
2nd November 2019, 08:52
But wouldn't moving to Škoda make his Polo redundant?

no you can rent/sell it.

sinepikohv
2nd November 2019, 11:03
Fair point.

pantealex
2nd November 2019, 15:58
Do they have 1 or 2 Polo R5 ?

Oliver did drive Wales with their "old" Polo (chassis #1) and Petter was driving brand new one.
Who owns that car ? (ewrc doesn´t have that chassis)

Got Mail
4th November 2019, 08:44
He'll definitely be driving for the SKODA Motorsport team next year.

Whether the car is being run by the official Mlada Boleslav team or a satellite team, I don't know.

But his contract is with SKODA and the funding is coming from SKODA.

rallyfiend
4th November 2019, 09:41

Oliver did drive Wales with their "old" Polo (chassis #1) and Petter was driving brand new one.

PSWRT ran Oliver's car

VW Motorsport ran Petter

the sniper
6th September 2020, 20:04
Is it too soon to be talking about a move to Rally1/WRC for 2021...? The main reason to stay in Rally2/WRC2 would be to get experience on the rallies he's missed this year. But given his ability, would it make sense to look at purchasing an M-Sport drive in 2021 with sponsorship money? To me it would seem like an opportunity to step up to the top category with the minimal possible expectation. Nobody expects the car to be a winner, he could probably beat Greensmith almost straight off the bat, and given how variable the performances of Lappi and Suninen can be, he may compare favourably to them.

Alternatively, what is Solberg's path? Another year in just a Rally2 wouldn't be a waste, but it's going to remain a competitive category and it'll become increasingly important over time to stay ahead of the competition. Unless Toyota replace Ogier with him in 2022, I'm not sure that Solberg can avoid buying a drive eventually with M-Sport either way.

While this is for another thread and I've said it before, if I were Malcolm, I'd be trying anything I could to tap into the Monster Energy oil field...

PLuto
6th September 2020, 20:12
Is it too soon to be talking about a move to Rally1/WRC for 2021...? The main reason to stay in Rally2/WRC2 would be to get experience on the rallies he's missed this year. But given his ability, would it make sense to look at purchasing an M-Sport drive in 2021 with sponsorship money? To me it would seem like an opportunity to step up to the top category with the minimal possible expectation. Nobody expects the car to be a winner, he could probably beat Greensmith almost straight off the bat, and given how variable the performances of Lappi and Suninen can be, he may compare favourably to them.

Alternatively, what is Solberg's path? Another year in just a Rally2 wouldn't be a waste, but it's going to remain a competitive category and it'll become increasingly important over time to stay ahead of the competition. Unless Toyota replace Ogier with him in 2022, I'm not sure that Solberg can avoid buying a drive eventually with M-Sport either way.

While this is for another thread and I've said it before, if I were Malcolm, I'd be trying anything I could to tap into the Monster Energy oil field...

For sure it is too early.

Rally Power
6th September 2020, 20:27
Yep, another WRC2/ERC season will only help but Sniper question about what team will give Oliver the first WRC1 program (even if partial) is quite interesting and probably it won’t take too long to be answered.

AnttiL
6th September 2020, 20:54
Q: Here we've seen this very quick upward trajectory from you in terms of performance. You’re achieving so much success immediately. Sometimes it takes drivers a few years to get that success that you’ve already had in your career so early on. Oliver, I have to ask you, where are you seeing yourself next year already?
OS: It’s hard to say. I have only won one rally so far. I still have to work a lot. Every rally is so different and I need to get experience from every rally. In Mexico, I retired already in the first stage with a broken sump. That’s what I love, I’m always learning something new every day. It’s all about the experience. Next year, I’m not really sure what will happen, I’ll drive probably R5 again and just learn as much as possible again every race. Now I have the pace-notes from Mexico. Always coming to new places all the time and then I will have experience for the next year. Then you have a new set of pace-notes and you know a little bit more what you’re doing. It’s all about the experience and gaining speed all the time.

https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-o-tanak-we-had-quite-many-surprises-we-didnt-expect

Rallyper
7th September 2020, 08:43
To me I think it would be surprising if Oliver is NOT in a RC1 car next year. He can gain experience in such a car as well. As long as teambosses think it´s worth to get him a seat.

As a teamboss I already should have done the call today, if not for months ago...

er88
7th September 2020, 10:01
At this rate, OS and Kalle are going to have some epic fights for WRC titles further down the line.

This kids rise could make things even harder for the likes of Mikkelsen/ Paddon/ Latvala etc to get back in the WRC (unless they pay for a seat). Ostberg is already getting soundly beaten by him, and must be resigned to the fact his days of getting a WRC drive are done for.

Team bosses have to be looking to sign him up now or getting a long term agreement in place - even if he continues with the R5 for next season (which is absolutely the best plan). But some tests / one or two starts in a WRC car shouldn't be ruled out for 2021. It would be terrible management if Malcolm/Tommi and Adamo aren't already on the phone.

Sulland
7th September 2020, 14:30

Looks like they have 2
https://www.ewrc-results.com/owner/1347-petter-solberg-rally-team/

Petter have usually bought cars that have special memories connected for him, to put in his museum.

mknight
7th September 2020, 15:19
To me I think it would be surprising if Oliver is NOT in a RC1 car next year. He can gain experience in such a car as well. As long as teambosses think it´s worth to get him a seat.

Very little point for him to learn the current WRC when the new one from 2022 is significantly different both with drivetrain but also with no active center diff.
What would make sense is to drive R5 and take part in development tests of the new car.

SubaruNorway
7th September 2020, 15:20
The plan was to do R5 for 3 years earlier this year anyway

Petter's Polo from Wales is going in the museum i saw

pantealex
7th September 2020, 16:44
Oliver took his 1st WRC level Rally2/RC2/WRC3 win and people are ready to give him WRC drive... :)

Same people say Kalle was not ready for WRC and Kalle had multiple RC2 wins.

Sulland
7th September 2020, 17:47
Oliver is a good driver. He has experience with 600 hp supercars in rallycross, I dont think Kalle had that, but he had at least one full season in WRC2.

Oliver might fix Rally1 power, and be competitive next week, but imo he need more Rally2 experience. He should drive and learn as many rounds as he can, to get own notes, and learn the courses.
But if he is not ready and does not match the best, he might ruin a bright future.

One option is to connect the Solberg Klan to Ford, as a test driver, and compete in Rally2.
But again, they do not currently have competitive cars in either of the top two classes, so could be a double-edged sword.
He is also under Skoda contract until new info on that comes.

My guess is that he will continue as planned with the two VAG cars.

Rallyper
8th September 2020, 10:25
There always two sides of the coin.

However, if not teambosses already contacted him, I would be very surprised. That is the key. To negotiate at this point even if it means RC1 drive first time in 2022.

sindroms
8th September 2020, 11:15
Same people say Kalle was not ready for WRC and Kalle had multiple RC2 wins.

So we can start to build prognosis which one will be better on WRC level when both of them will be in more or less equal situation (in terms of mileage, experience and cars) :D

Ok, ok.. it's quiet too early for it, but it's quite favorite topic in my rally company - among peoples who have seen Oliver and Kalle grow up on Latvian roads. Opinions differ :) :)

doubled1978
8th September 2020, 14:20
Rovanpera has proved he was ready, no problem for him. Personally I think Oliver could step up to the top class and do well even next year, but another year (a full one) in a second tier car certainly won’t do him any harm, as much to learn the rallies as anything else.

the sniper
8th September 2020, 20:11
I think the Covid situation has made the strategy for Oliver much clearer. Having missed so many of the rallies this year, next year will hopefully allow him to do the rallies he's missed, another learning year. If we'd had a full season this year and he'd had such consistently strong results across even more rallies, I'd be arguing more strongly that he should step up to RC1. But at the end of the day, he's never even done the likes of Rally Portugal or Finland, on the latter he was just a spectator last year stood next to me on the Urria stage! :D

With the reduced calendar in 2021, even before any possible cancellations, I'd be really surprised though if he isn't aiming to do some serious test millage in a WRCar or 2022 Rally1. You've got to imagine there'll be plenty of opportunities as the team will be wanting to put millage on the new cars. It's not long before these conversations will start, surely.

Another way the Covid situation may have worked in Oliver's favour is that it has somewhat limited the lead in experience Rovanpera is getting over him. I think this is the rivalry a lot of us are looking forward to. When I watched Urria 1 next to the Solberg's, I said to Olive after Kalle went past, 'Your main rival in the future?', he replied, 'Maybe!'. I wanted to reply, 'Definitely, and I can't wait!', but I think the bizarreness of me having this conversation with him dawned on me at this moment so I just smiled and played it cool(ish)... :D

GigiGalliNo1
9th September 2020, 01:31
Problem is who will go if a "Team" give him a seat?

Rallyper
9th September 2020, 09:31
Problem is who will go if a "Team" give him a seat?

Evans back to Ford...? Or Lappi/Suninen

AnttiL
9th September 2020, 10:06
It's already rumored Loeb and Sordo will quit Hyundai after this year. And Ogier should quit after next year. Suninen and Lappi will run out of money at some point? It's another game of musical chairs. And a different question of which teams are still in when we go to 2022.

skarderud
9th September 2020, 10:35
It's already rumored Loeb and Sordo will quit Hyundai after this year. And Ogier should quit after next year. Suninen and Lappi will run out of money at some point? It's another game of musical chairs. And a different question of which teams are still in when we go to 2022.And, which new teams will join?
Hard times these days for manufacturers, Petter Solberg has something ready, atleast had before covid.
M-sport will be around, but if Ford don't want to support them anymore, it's probably the "cheapest" way to get a good car for a new team?

Indreq
9th September 2020, 10:47
Current situation is that only really bright ones like Rovanpera or Solberg will get their WRC rides, for "regular" people like Ostberg or Tidemand there are no chances. Rally2 is best they can hope for. I cant see any way back for Latvala, Paddon or Meeke either. I would love them to join Rall2 though, this would make this class much more competitive, perhaps earn some airtime in WRC+ too and generate enough money from sponsors that guys driving there can even get small salary...

Jarek Z
9th September 2020, 12:35
Current situation is that only really bright ones like Rovanpera or Solberg will get their WRC rides

Bright and rich. Just bright is not enough. Let's not forget that they would probably not go anywhere (at this age at least) without their fathers' money.

Rallyper
9th September 2020, 12:43
Bright and rich. Just bright is not enough. Let's not forget that they would probably not go anywhere (at this age at least) without their fathers' money.

At this point of their career, they don´t need to be rich. They´ll get wheels anyway...

AnttiL
9th September 2020, 12:47

I would say Timo Jouhki has invested more in Kalle's career than Harri. But he has been a factory driver since 2018 anyway.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th September 2020, 13:27

Both have outstanding ability and would've been spotted even at a low level of the sport with their speed.

Indreq
9th September 2020, 15:13
Both have outstanding ability and would've been spotted even at a low level of the sport with their speed.

I agree. Sure money helps. But these guys seem quick enough that they would have made it anyway. Maybe not at 18 but at 22-23 but they would have succeeded. What came first - Tänak showing talent or supporters coming behind him? Tänaks family had no money for anything more than VW Golf 2. But he was fast enough with that to convince some people with deep pockets to invest in him. I am sure other guys with similar talent can do that.

Katvala
9th September 2020, 17:09
Money absolutely is a deciding factor for anyone getting into rallying. It's a very expensive sport, even at a lower level. It is not like football where all you need is a ball. You need a car that can be used for rallying, parts, license, entry fees, maintenance for car and so on. You won't be able to do this without significant economical help from parents or others. Had Kalle's parents been less fortunate, and he himself had been a poor student or whatever, there is no chance that he would get to his point, and if so, then definitely not this early. Then there is of course also the fact that Harri is a well known rally driver, who has a lot of contacts. When word gets out that the son of a famous driver is starting driving, then of course there will be light put on him too. There is a reason why there are so many rally families.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

the sniper
9th September 2020, 23:41
Then there is of course also the fact that Harri is a well known rally driver, who has a lot of contacts. When word gets out that the son of a famous driver is starting driving, then of course there will be light put on him too. There is a reason why there are so many rally families.

In the case of Kalle and Oliver, how much were they actually funded by their own families, beyond the very early years? I'd have thought they'd have both been able to attract enough sponsorship once they got up to the R2 level on the basis of their names, family connections, career stories and talent. They certainly both had a lot of decent sponsors on their cars coming up. The waters may be a little muddied in the case of Petter as he may be investing money in his own operation in order to prepare to become a manufacturer team in future...

GigiGalliNo1
10th September 2020, 03:37
And the case of Neuville? He was not rich nor wealthy when he started.

Sulland
28th November 2020, 18:00
Where do you see Oliver driving in 2021?

ERC1 driving for the top title
WRC2 for a Manufacturer
WRC2 in privat team

Or will he do a Kalle going in the fastlane into WRC1?

If he will be picked up by a manufacturer, which one will pick him up?

RS
28th November 2020, 19:12

WRC2 for a Manufacturer
WRC2 in privat team

Isn’t Oliver under some long term contract with Skoda? I’d expect to see him in WRC2 or 3 in a ‘Skoda Motorsport Customer Racing’ Fabia next year, maybe with some ERC events too.

And Kalle did spend two years in a Fabia R5 before being picked up Toyota so not that fast-tracked..

Mirek
28th November 2020, 19:17
There's a question if Škoda will do anything substantial next year before they come with the new Fabia.

er88
28th November 2020, 20:31
R5 next season then we could potentially see him in the 3rd Toyota seat for 2022. Or being given some sort of partial campaign in a top line car

olemann
28th November 2020, 20:57
Why Skoda. He drove Petter's old Wolksvagen in this race, didn't he?

Mirek
28th November 2020, 22:24
Why Skoda. He drove Petter's old Wolksvagen in this race, didn't he?

Because he was a contractor driver for Škoda this year (but that applied only for WRC3).

AnttiL
29th November 2020, 06:33

WRC2 for a Manufacturer
WRC2 in privat team

Oliver made his WRC event entry in last year's Wales, and Kalle did the same two years earlier, so we could say Oliver is coming two years behind Kalle. So if Oliver gets to a WRC car next year, he's fastlaned. I think we've already discussed that it wouldn't make sense for him to learn the WRC 2017 cars for one year and then learn the new 2022 cars again.

I believe Oliver will do a big WRC2/3 season next year, but the team is a good question...is he already committing to a team he will drive with in 2022?

mknight
29th November 2020, 08:14
Question is what Skoda will do. The car might start to lag a bit if Hyundai introduces a new one an Skoda scales down support to only parts and repair. Even worse if he would have to pay everything himself.

But on almost all gravel rallies in WRC2/3 small car differences don't matter much as long as the car is not hard to drive or unreliable.

pantealex
29th November 2020, 09:42
My bet is all -1 WRC events with VAG RC2 car.

AnttiL
29th November 2020, 10:30
My bet is all -1 WRC events with VAG RC2 car.

Yeah, basically same as this season. Good guess. But I would say no more ERC.

RS
29th November 2020, 11:43
There's a question if Škoda will do anything substantial next year before they come with the new Fabia.

Bit OT but when can we expect that car? Have new mild hybrid Rally2 rules put a bit of a spanner in the works as they don’t kick in until 2023 but new Fabia comes out 2021..

If Solberg continues in a Fabia next year I would imagine it would be a similar set up to this year, because as you hint at they aren’t going to be wanting/needing to promote the old car anymore in 2021.

wyler
29th November 2020, 12:21
Yeah, basically same as this season. Good guess. But I would say no more ERC.

Dosn't he won a couple of erc rounds for being junior champ?

Mirek
29th November 2020, 14:40
Question is what Skoda will do. The car might start to lag a bit if Hyundai introduces a new one an Skoda scales down support to only parts and repair. Even worse if he would have to pay everything himself.

Bit OT but when can we expect that car? Have new mild hybrid Rally2 rules put a bit of a spanner in the works as they don’t kick in until 2023 but new Fabia comes out 2021..

I believe we will see the new R5 already next year but time will tell.

Got Mail
29th November 2020, 15:23
Agreed.

Jarek Z
29th November 2020, 19:14
Dosn't he won a couple of erc rounds for being junior champ?

According to this article Solberg won €100,000 for two European championship rallies in 2021:
https://www.fiaerc.com/munster-fights-hard-but-erc1-junior-honours-go-to-solberg/

SubaruNorway
29th November 2020, 19:35
What does that even mean?

M5
7th December 2020, 18:05
What is the best way for Oliver, planning for 2022, and learing all rally on the world champ calender?
# Do R5 in euro and world series?
# Try to get into a WRC car, to get used to the speed, since R5 speed he masters by now?

Tarmop
7th December 2020, 18:52
Mastering a car is one thing, mastering the events another story.

Rallyper
8th December 2020, 15:40
Mastering a car is one thing, mastering the events another story.

However I´d say it´s a combination. Mastering cars in all events is the real combination. Oliver masters 600hp 4WD cars in mud, gravel and tarmac in RX. I´d say he should try WRC car in as many events he could next year.

pantealex
8th December 2020, 19:38
I´d say he should try WRC car in as many events he could next year.

I think full season with Rally2 is better solution than half season with WRC.

OK if can do some WRC drives + all others with Rally2

Rallyper
9th December 2020, 10:49
OK if can do some WRC drives + all others with Rally2

That sums up most of what I meant. :)

Sulland
17th December 2020, 09:44
This site confirms that a deal is done btw Hyundai and Oliver for 2021, starting in MC?
https://worldrally.se/oliver-solberg-i-wrc2-satsning-med-hyundai/

Any others that have other confirmations?
Not sure where they got this from, but it is a swedish site, so maybe they just called him?

wyler
17th December 2020, 14:59
This site confirms that a deal is done btw Hyundai and Oliver for 2021, starting in MC?
https://worldrally.se/oliver-solberg-i-wrc2-satsning-med-hyundai/

Any others that have other confirmations?
Not sure where they got this from, but it is a swedish site, so maybe they just called him?

same on Italian media a couple of days ago

EstWRC
18th December 2020, 07:22
official now https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/solberg-joins-hyundai-on-two-year-deal/

Sulland
18th December 2020, 08:07
Impressive job by Oliver and Aron, getting this deal!
Anyone that knows is they have the new Rally2 i20 ready for Monte, or if they will be starting the year with the old one?

AnttiL
18th December 2020, 08:08
New car comes in July

EstWRC
18th December 2020, 08:12
Impressive job by Oliver and Aron, getting this deal!
Anyone that knows is they have the new Rally2 i20 ready for Monte, or if they will be starting the year with the old one?

it seems you didnt bother to read the article ;)

dimviii
18th December 2020, 08:18
nice and well deserved for Oliver.

Sulland
18th December 2020, 08:21
it seems you didnt bother to read the article ;)

A bit triggerhappy there.. :D

pantealex
18th December 2020, 08:22
official now https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/solberg-joins-hyundai-on-two-year-deal/

Since when has Dirtfish being Official ?

You should have linked WRC.com or "Hyundai Team" news...

EstWRC
18th December 2020, 08:25
does it really make a difference?

were they wrong then?

jesus youre being so captious here lately with everyone

Rallyper
18th December 2020, 08:29
Happy for Oliver. Well deserved.
Huttunen will have his share at Huyndai as well. No matter Olivers contract.

(To me I expect Oliver to step up in WRC class 2022, replacing Tanak going back to Toyota after Ogier leave)

cali
18th December 2020, 08:32
does it really make a difference?

were they wrong then?

jesus youre being so captious here lately with everyoneNot trying to be picky here but technically he is right. And this now brings us back to WRC's biggest problem. Official WRC channels are usually very quiet, really bringing the news very late or not at all. Dirtfish now is being considered official, even I did not see a problem here until Pantealex pointed at it. Dirtfish on the other hand is not an "official" source but keeps us more up to date. And now there is our forum and some national forums where we get the most information out of it. Nothing personal but for me Pante's post was all about that.

Anyway Oliver himself has confirmed it so all good....

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

EstWRC
18th December 2020, 08:36
Wondered why he'd started liking a lot of HMSG posts on Insta...

whats this?

official links only please!!

AnttiL
18th December 2020, 08:43
Since when has Dirtfish being Official ?

You should have linked WRC.com or "Hyundai Team" news...

Basically WRC.com is not any bit more official than Dirtfish or even rallit.fi. The WRC promoter or FIA does not need to approve the driver contracts of a team. Hyundai sends a press release to outlets that would be interested in publishing this information, and WRC.com is one of them.

Here is the news article on Hyundai's website https://motorsport.hyundai.com/exciting-talents-for-wrc-2/

Lancia Stratos
18th December 2020, 09:24
Not trying to be picky here but technically he is right. And this now brings us back to WRC's biggest problem. Official WRC channels are usually very quiet, really bringing the news very late or not at all. Dirtfish now is being considered official, even I did not see a problem here until Pantealex pointed at it. Dirtfish on the other hand is not an "official" source but keeps us more up to date. And now there is our forum and some national forums where we get the most information out of it. Nothing personal but for me Pante's post was all about that.

Anyway Oliver himself has confirmed it so all good....

Think you will find that all three platforms carried the story within 5 minutes of each other.

Sulland
18th December 2020, 10:34
Piece from NRK:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&u=https://www.nrk.no/sport/oliver-solberg-har-signert-for-verdens-beste-lag-1.15294874?fbclid%3DIwAR0qa5J33wV-cmi2Z4zU1PvBLgOvbGhKvCakOdwDFp_awnTZhTzfLj3Pm7Q

Oliver had offer from 3 teams!

mknight
18th December 2020, 10:40
Well I already wrote few days ago how it's logical for Hyundai.

Anyway he might struggle a bit with current I20 in first half of 2021, but doesn't look like there will be many rallies run during that period anyway.

er88
18th December 2020, 10:43
No brainer for a team to get Solberg locked into a good contract, based on what we've seen so far from him.

Sulland
18th December 2020, 11:07
So now he needs to get a car to get to know, understand and get it under his skin.

cali
18th December 2020, 11:40
Well this current i20 R5 has proven to be a little bit behind in speed and reliability against Polo and Fabia. Hopefully the newer version will be more competitive. I'm expecting a difficult start for Oliver at first and some improvement later in the season.

Rallyper
18th December 2020, 14:52
I guess one car is ready or alredy transported to Värmland for massive testing...

mknight
18th December 2020, 15:42
I guess one car is ready or alredy transported to Värmland for massive testing...

I am not so sure. Don't think they ever got a Fabia for example. From what I have heard Polo and Fabia steering feeling/response are quite different.

Also imagine if he drives it first time and finds out that everything is worse than both Polo and Fabia.

But he has not signed for them cause current I20 R5 is an epic car, but due to their future potential both in Rally2 but more importantly in WRC.

So did Huttunen 3 years ago though...

Tarmop
18th December 2020, 15:54
Well this current i20 R5 has proven to be a little bit behind in speed and reliability against Polo and Fabia. Hopefully the newer version will be more competitive. I'm expecting a difficult start for Oliver at first and some improvement later in the season.

You are talking about the original one, the upgraded one has proven the opposite. Not a Polo-beater ofc, but can manage them. Also the big sales in GB...the WRC3 title etc.

cali
18th December 2020, 17:47
You are talking about the original one, the upgraded one has proven the opposite. Not a Polo-beater ofc, but can manage them. Also the big sales in GB...the WRC3 title etc.Remember Gryazin and Veiby this year? Gryazin lost all his speed suddenly. Even the upgrded car is still behind Polo and Fabia. Ofc I'm really interested how Oliver does get along with his new toy but I predict bit more trouble than with the Fabia and Polo.

br21
18th December 2020, 19:17
Hyundai is not worse than Fabia or Polo. And Gryazins speed is another reason.

abcrally
18th December 2020, 19:35
Hyundai is not worse than Fabia or Polo. And Gryazins speed is another reason.

Difficult to say if is it worse or not. But only one driver has been competitive with it on snow and gravel!

AnttiL
18th December 2020, 19:43
Remember Gryazin and Veiby this year?

Veiby made some outrageous stage wins this year. But at the same time he was sometimes just off the pace, picked up punctures, went off, or the car broke (it never broke under Huttunen). Veiby has been like this all his WRC2 career.

mknight
18th December 2020, 19:45
(it never broke under Huttunen)

You mean this year. It used to break every 1-2 stages in 2018.

cali
18th December 2020, 19:54
Hyundai is not worse than Fabia or Polo. And Gryazins speed is another reason.Hey br21, can you share a light about Gryazin's speed this year?
For me it seems like in a Fabia and Polo drivers seem more comfortable and confident. The i20 needs to be handled with a care, but hey what do I know, it's just my perception.

Anyway I'm glad to see Oliver in the fight next year with a Hyundai and he seems to have huge amount of potential. My favourite young gun for sure!

AnttiL
18th December 2020, 19:58
You mean this year. It used to break every 1-2 stages in 2018.

Yeah, I was talking about this year. Before this year we really didn't see anyone making good results with the i20 R5. I remember Huttunen started a technical gravel rally and said to Finnish media something like the radiator will break if he tries to push at all.

br21
18th December 2020, 20:05
Hyundai is really good car, some recent upgrades made it really competitive and engine is still best from the category.
Gryazin before 2020 was testing/driving more than any other driver (incl. WRC ones), etc... but that's Oliver Solberg topic.

Sulland
23rd December 2020, 15:18
First Hyundai in the garage, chassis 26A.
https://www.ewrc-results.com/carinfo/60-hyundai-i20-r5/?car=4388

Unboxing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR0b38ztucXjRO6kGw_i8-aDUrAwYGPH_H5FOmXD6CjrpY5hEzYV2eKQeW0&v=8buvFJRp1w4&feature=youtu.be

dimviii
23rd December 2020, 17:01
How can he cope with coming to a team where not everybody is speaking his same language – how does he cope with going to the empty hotel room and being on his own every night? It’s a different movie for him now.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/why-oliver-solberg-picked-hyundai-and-what-comes-next/

Rallyper
23rd December 2020, 17:15
First Hyundai in the garage, chassis 26A.
https://www.ewrc-results.com/carinfo/60-hyundai-i20-r5/?car=4388

Unboxing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR0b38ztucXjRO6kGw_i8-aDUrAwYGPH_H5FOmXD6CjrpY5hEzYV2eKQeW0&v=8buvFJRp1w4&feature=youtu.be

That´s some crazy thing. Just imagine yourself being in that position. I´d love it!!!

Congrats Oliver!

Rallyper
23rd December 2020, 17:25
How can he cope with coming to a team where not everybody is speaking his same language – how does he cope with going to the empty hotel room and being on his own every night? It’s a different movie for him now.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/why-oliver-solberg-picked-hyundai-and-what-comes-next/

Well, one thing is for sure. He will not be left alone on hotels as one Beth Harmon, if they suggest that. I guess he will be surrounded by some family stuff for quite a bit of time.

mknight
23rd December 2020, 18:04
The interesting information is that Adamo talks about Huttunen being involved maybe even as much as Solberg and Veiby in WRC2.

Other than that I don't trust Adamo on anything about future.
While he certainly has introduced more entertainment in WRC he has shown he makes snaps decisions on a whim, treats drivers differently depending on whom he "trusts" (his own words), and changes his mind about approach just about every 2 rallies from one extreme to the other. One rally he tells drivers to have faith and believe and criticizes them for complaining about car, next rally he praises drivers that did so well with "not so good" car and a few rallies later runs 5 hour meetings for listening to their comments (after Mexico this year, again his own words). Latest is how he in Sardinia boasted about micro-managing Sordos pace, then in Monza says that drivers know what to do and he is not their mother.

Note how in the interview he already talks about putting them under some pressure, before Solberg ran a single km. Not exactly something Tommi would do openly. Hope Solbergs contract is pretty waterproof on the number of starts in the two years.

Sulland
23rd December 2020, 20:30

What nationalities are in the Hyundai team, they are not all germans I guess. And the working language is english, and as we know, ALL Solbergs are almost native speakers when it comes to english ;-)

Oliver is quite good in english, he also speak french, and is dual in Norwegian/Swedish.
He will charm the whole team, is my guess!

Sulland
8th January 2021, 10:57
First i20 test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2W0aeQ49Y&t=195s

Koppomsbo
9th January 2021, 16:06
Not in the video that he put the car into a ditch

Sulland
11th January 2021, 21:39
Not in the video that he put the car into a ditch

It is important to find the limits for the i20 on different surfaces and tyres.
He was sliding a lot today in the alps as well in the MRF car. Here he was also working with the works team engineers for the first time as well, and they starting to collect his data, to compare with other drivers.

Will be interesting to see his speed in MC, and also in Finland in the private car, compared to Veiby.

Sulland
7th February 2021, 18:03
The most important thing for Adamo I guess is to look for potential in Oliver.
He Throws him curveballs and see how he handles them.

They have good juniors in the team in 21, both Loubet and Veiby are very good drivers.

If Oliver has the talent many thinks he has, he will show the Hyundai team that he is a quick learner, and that he will have a learning curve that shows them he is taking the next level. This time that is mastering a WRCar on snow.
If he gives them the data they are looking for, more curveballs will come, on different surfaces.

Rallyper
7th February 2021, 18:37
Good to change to this topic.

TypeR
7th February 2021, 18:59
Like smb wrote before, Oliver said that the power is nothing new as he is used to rx cars, but the aero is a new surprising thing.
Really nice guy and appreciates the opportunities given to him, just like Breen.

AnttiL
8th February 2021, 11:53
What rumours about Olivers DNF on MC...can somebody tell us?

I heard a rumor that they were testing some non-homologated components on the car, that's why he had to retire not to get into final scrutineering.

When Hänninen tested the Yaris in Sardegna 2019, they were also running new components on the car and retired before the last stage. This is confirmed by the team/driver.

Sulland
8th February 2021, 13:37
Like smb wrote before, Oliver said that the power is nothing new as he is used to rx cars, but the aero is a new surprising thing.
Really nice guy and appreciates the opportunities given to him, just like Breen.

The Aero is the one big thing that separates a WRCar and a Rally2, along with more advanced diffs.
To be able to utilize that aero factor as new to this kind of car, how do you need to adjust your driving style used in Rally2, to be as effective as possible in a WRCar?

meh
8th February 2021, 13:47
The Aero is the one big thing that separates a WRCar and a Rally2, along with more advanced diffs.
To be able to utilize that aero factor as new to this kind of car, how do you need to adjust your driving style used in Rally2, to be as effective as possible in a WRCar?

Offtopic - wait till Ostberg is in WRC-Live again and send question via Tweet. ;)

AnttiL
8th February 2021, 14:08

Greensmith has also spoken about this in Absolute Rally Podcast, about how different it is to drive WRC and Rally2. According to him, it's even harder to drive Rally2 because you need think more about how to get it turned in. And many drivers moving from WRC2011 to WRC2017 said that it takes confidence to trust the aero on the fast corners - and there's plenty of those in Arctic Rally.

dimviii
8th February 2021, 16:00
“But I have been in the sport a long time and I tell you, this team is a good one. They’re so motivated, but at the same time really nice and relaxed – we’ve had a fantastic time here with them. And, I tell you, Oliver is talking a lot with his engineers. Maybe he takes this from his Mum…”

The only downside to Oliver’s day was not having his co-driver Aaron Johnston with him. A canceled flight grounded a very frustrated Northern Irishman – the Wolfpack WhatApp group came as some comfort.

Ott Tänak’s co-driver Martin Järveoja stepped in and helped Oliver out, doing a superb job for his first day with English notes.

But when he left for the airport, the Hyundai’s right-hand seat was taken by Mr A. Adamo. Now the pressure; the headmaster sitting alongside you.

“Not at all,” says Oliver. “He was very cool. It was fantastic to have him there. He was a little bit quiet though.”
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/inside-oliver-solbergs-first-world-rally-car-test/

mknight
9th February 2021, 08:13
I heard a rumor that they were testing some non-homologated components on the car, that's why he had to retire not to get into final scrutineering.

When Hänninen tested the Yaris in Sardegna 2019, they were also running new components on the car and retired before the last stage. This is confirmed by the team/driver.

Running non-homologated components might have made sense since he was not scoring anyway. (you could argue it's a bit of cheating, but you only cheat for stagetimes)

But in that case it would made sense to retire after the stage, either due to some "issue" or just not entering the final TC in service as is common when cars rejoining in superrally got retired to not use "spare part numbers" (Hyundai with Loeb in Portugal 2019, Citroen multiple times etc.)

Definitely not to retire by driving even slightly off the road on PS even before posting a single split time. While at the same time talking about pushing and with the other drives in top of Rally2 pushing as well.

So if there is any truth in this it's a mix of two things, yes they might have planned to retire, but definitely not in that way.

T16
9th February 2021, 20:45
Just watched the interview with Adamo during the Solberg test.
Super clever move by him, he’s clearly aware of the interest generated with the young chap.... a bit of a wake up to Hyundai that the WRC can be on the tongues of many a household again.
And by the way, what a lovely young man Oliver seems to be. Shame on me for thinking / assuming his position in the sport may get to his head. So far - clearly not.
When someone like this is there, it’s so easy to want them to do well.
Go on son, show them how it’s done.

Sulland
10th February 2021, 14:55
Up here the flag issue of Oliver is a big thing.
Norwegians would like him to register with norwegian license, and run in norwegian colors.
The swedes are happy as is, and fights for him to continue to represent their country. He has recently become a member of the swedish national team.

Best would of course be best if we could share him.
Maybe a start would be to use his new Bell Helmet to combine the two flags i a way!

Rallyper
10th February 2021, 15:55
Up here the flag issue of Oliver is a big thing.
Norwegians would like him to register with norwegian license, and run in norwegian colors.
The swedes are happy as is, and fights for him to continue to represent their country. He has recently become a member of the swedish national team.

Best would of course be best if we could share him.
Maybe a start would be to use his new Bell Helmet to combine the two flags i a way!

You have had enough stars for a while now. So please let us enjoy Oliver as a Swede. Besides, he lives in Sweden... ;) ;)

Per Anders
10th February 2021, 16:08
You have had enough stars for a while now. So please let us enjoy Oliver as a Swede. Besides, he lives in Sweden... ;) ;)

And was born i Norway 😂

Oliver is a Swede....but I like to think that he is half Swede and half Norwegian.

Regardles, I am a big fan😊

Steve Boyd
11th February 2021, 01:05
This is just like the days when Ari Vatanen & Pentti Airikkala were British!

cali
11th February 2021, 03:10
Really could care less if he's swede or norwegian as long as he's doing fine

Franky
11th February 2021, 08:21
Really could care less if he's swede or norwegian as long as he's doing fine

But if he'd be Estonian the response would be a bit different? :D

It's a global world where borders are more blurred than ever in human perspective.

cali
11th February 2021, 13:58
But if he'd be Estonian the response would be a bit different? :D

It's a global world where borders are more blurred than ever in human perspective.No it would'nt. Really don't care about nationalities, it's more to do with rallying in general. I have followed rallying long before estonians appeared on the scene and if it's still spectacular I will follow it when Tänak retires.

It's nice that we have estonian champ ofc but it doesn't create or take extra interest because of it.

I like Oliver because of his talent (same as Thierry Neuville) not because of his nationality. I'm probably the only estonian who smiles when or if Thierry wins a championship.

doubled1978
11th February 2021, 17:09
No it would'nt. Really don't care about nationalities, it's more to do with rallying in general. I have followed rallying long before estonians appeared on the scene and if it's still spectacular I will follow it when Tänak retires.

It's nice that we have estonian champ ofc but it doesn't create or take extra interest because of it.

I like Oliver because of his talent (same as Thierry Neuville) not because of his nationality. I'm probably the only estonian who smiles when or if Thierry wins a championship.

I’m with you, couldn’t care less where they come.

Sulland
12th February 2021, 17:00
Well I am proud of my country, like most people.

We always fight with our good neighbours the Swedes. In all sports we fight, and in most cases it could be more important to beat the blue and yellow than to win.
the other issue, and especially in rally the swedes have always been the big brother. More and better drivers, two carbrands, and a lot of great brands.

The Solberg history is of course much the Petter story. First WRC drivers champ, and the solberg effect after that, that brought many talents. Henning also has his part of the success og Norwegian rallysport the last 20 years.

I have no problem sharing Oliver, and the most important thing is that he reaches his goal and targets, and have fun along the way.

The Swedes beat us in Biathlon today, and we will fight back tomorrow, and take gold!

jcevc
13th February 2021, 05:32
Well I am proud of my country, like most people.

We always fight with our good neighbours the Swedes. In all sports we fight, and in most cases it could be more important to beat the blue and yellow than to win.
the other issue, and especially in rally the swedes have always been the big brother. More and better drivers, two carbrands, and a lot of great brands.

The Solberg history is of course much the Petter story. First WRC drivers champ, and the solberg effect after that, that brought many talents. Henning also has his part of the success og Norwegian rallysport the last 20 years.

I have no problem sharing Oliver, and the most important thing is that he reaches his goal and targets, and have fun along the way.

The Swedes beat us in Biathlon today, and we will fight back tomorrow, and take gold!

I apologise for offtopic but be careful about biathlon, they are competing on our home soil - watch out on Jakov Fak :p

Sso
13th February 2021, 08:34
Looks like his entry for Arctic is as Norwegian? Maybe hard for Adamo as well to understand Olivers nationality

Skickat från min SM-G781B via Tapatalk

pantealex
13th February 2021, 12:39
Looks like his entry for Arctic is as Norwegian? Maybe hard for Adamo as well to understand Olivers nationality

Simple:

WRC Norwegian

Rally2/R5 Swedish

He just can´t be fast enough for top level with Swedish license ;)

Steve Boyd
14th February 2021, 00:40
FIA rules say nationality is the same as passport for world championship events but same as ASN issuing rally licence for other international events. I assume he has a Swedish rally licence and a Norwegian passport.

SubaruNorway
14th February 2021, 09:09
It was just a mistake by the FIA/WRC

Per Anders
14th February 2021, 15:46
It was just a mistake by the FIA/WRC

Yes, and not the first time they did. Oliver is a Swede😊

pantealex
14th February 2021, 16:59
FIA rules say nationality is the same as passport for world championship events but same as ASN issuing rally licence for other international events. I assume he has a Swedish rally licence and a Norwegian passport.

He has both Norwegian and Swedish citizenships so he really can choose. (maybe once in year ?)
So far for every WRC rally he has chosen Sweden.

mknight
14th February 2021, 18:13
Yes, and not the first time they did. Oliver is a Swede��

I find it actually funny how concerned many Swedes are about saying he is "theirs".

He has both citizenships, I don't think he physically has the Norwegian passport (he mentioned it in some interview just recently) but that's just paperwork.

On a practical note the first thing people from outside of Scandinavia recall when hearing his name is that he is Solberg... son of the Norwegian WRC Petter Solberg not that he is the son of the Swede Pernilla Walfridsson. I agree it might be slightly unfair, but that's how it is. In light of that I am totally fine with him running under the Swedish flag.

Per Anders
14th February 2021, 20:31
He has both citizenships, I don't think he physically has the Norwegian passport (he mentioned it in some interview just recently) but that's just paperwork.

Sure? Before 1.1.2020 it was not legal to have two citizenships in Norway. Therefor he must have gotten it in 2020. Do you know that he got it in 2020?

Sulland
25th February 2021, 17:50
Is the spec on the 2C cars of Oliver and Loubet the same as factory team?

If differences, what are they?

mknight
25th February 2021, 19:02
Is the spec on the 2C cars of Oliver and Loubet the same as factory team?

If differences, what are they?

EDIT:

I wrote all the differences based on Monte setup that Loubet ran...only to see the pic of Solbergs car which is externally exactly the same as factory cars appart from the very small front update (with serrated edge dive planes) introduced in Monte.

Clients not equal?
Adamo generous or desperate? (my bet is on the last)

TypeR
25th February 2021, 19:29
I bet it doesn't make any difference if they have the latest updates or not..
Some fins/aero-bars here and there won't change anything..

If you have the pace you will show the time anyways.. Losing some diffusor on the stage doesn't mean +30sec at the end of the stage..

#overratedaero

AnttiL
25th February 2021, 19:38
I bet it doesn't make any difference if they have the latest updates or not..
Some fins/aero-bars here and there won't change anything..

If you have the pace you will show the time anyways.. Losing some diffusor on the stage doesn't mean +30sec at the end of the stage..

#overratedaero

In this rally it could make a huge difference, especially if you are committed to use the aero. There are high-speed sections and high-speed corners.

TypeR
25th February 2021, 19:42
Add 15+kg of packed snow at the back(as M-Sport test showed) and none of this detailed aero matters or makes sense..

mknight
25th February 2021, 19:45
Seems like all the factory teams are stupid using so much money on it then.

AnttiL
25th February 2021, 20:33
Add 15+kg of packed snow at the back(as M-Sport test showed) and none of this detailed aero matters or makes sense..

Yeah right and the aero stops working also when you add a second spare in the boot, or have Danos in the co-driver seat.

All those small aero devices matter on the level of competition we’re having on the top level. Every fraction of a second counts.

Besides, any snow on the diffusers will be equal for everyone.

denkimi
26th February 2021, 09:24
Yeah right and the aero stops working also when you add a second spare in the boot, or have Danos in the co-driver seat.

All those small aero devices matter on the level of competition we’re having on the top level. Every fraction of a second counts.

Besides, any snow on the diffusers will be equal for everyone.
https://www.wrc.com/images/redaktion/Season-2021-NEWS/WRC/February/220221_WRC-TeemuSuninen-Arctictest-_001_8e167_f_750x420.jpg

When there's 5cm's of snow sticking to Every surface that will seriously affect aero. But i assume they will clean it before every stage.

AnttiL
26th February 2021, 09:34
https://www.wrc.com/images/redaktion/Season-2021-NEWS/WRC/February/220221_WRC-TeemuSuninen-Arctictest-_001_8e167_f_750x420.jpg

When there's 5cm's of snow sticking to Every surface that will seriously affect aero. But i assume they will clean it before every stage.

more like 5mm :p . But I think the bigger effect than weight is that it blocks the air vents at the back. Also, that picture is from M-Sport test when the temperature was below -20 C

We need Lluis555 to educate us :)

scn
27th February 2021, 08:08
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he is the only one that has been on a stage podium in his first rally in WRC (SS3 today).

Doon
27th February 2021, 08:40
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he is the only one that has been on a stage podium in his first rally in WRC (SS3 today).

Ogier won the first stage he did in a WRC car. WRGB 2008 Sweet Lamb.

er88
27th February 2021, 08:41
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he is the only one that has been on a stage podium in his first rally in WRC (SS3 today).Didn't Ogier win his first ever stage in a WRC car? Although that was in extreme conditions due to ice in Wales.

SubaruNorway
27th February 2021, 08:46
Sunninen won one in Poland 2017

Sulland
27th February 2021, 16:36
Pernilla Solberg: Can you please get Oliver 10 glasses, so he has a few in the car, or lenses if he can use them. They are harder to loose! :D

denkimi
27th February 2021, 16:53
Pernilla Solberg: Can you please get Oliver 10 glasses, so he has a few in the car, or lenses if he can use them. They are harder to loose! :D
It would seem stupid not to have a backup pair in the car.

dimviii
27th February 2021, 16:55
It would seem stupid not to have a backup pair in the car.

hadnt he got an other one incident with lost glasses at last rallies?

dimviii
27th February 2021, 17:01
hadnt he got an other one incident with lost glasses at last rallies?

Oliver Solberg
@OliverSolberg01
·

Some of you may remember when I lost my glasses at Rallye di Roma last year... well it happened again!
Man facepalming
I think I was faster this time because I didn't see much in the dark!
Smiling face with open mouth and cold sweat

Sulland
28th February 2021, 11:25
Love the way he gives it his all for the PS.
Missing out this time, but shows the team managers what is to come!

Timmy
28th February 2021, 11:52
Really impressed with Oliver's performance, top 5 in 6 out of the 10 stages. Nice push on the power stage, despite the off. Not afraid to take risks and a really enjoyable personality to watch. Hope we can see more of him in WRC1 this season.

mknight
28th February 2021, 11:53
Despite what I thought it was definitely a good idea to start here for multiple reasons.

Adamo got PR and "pressure" towards Hyundai leadership ("look we have this new star in our team")

Solberg did a bit better than expected by most people, though not drastically better (like Ogier or Suninen on their first rallies).Though I don't think it was possible to get stage win in a "consistent" rally with similar stages like this one. Maybe most surprising was his "stability" in getting similar stage times in top 5.
To make him a complete driver he imo needs three things:
1. the ability to win/get results when under pressure and expected to perform (here there was no pressure)
2. stable performances in rallies (so far he usually is like Petter, great stage times in one stage and then a mistake or a big time loss on next, that doesn't win championships against "machines" like Ogier or Loeb)
3. learn rallies that he has not started on before (here he actually had an advantage compared to most drivers)

Hard to say what is the way forward, imo he can learn all 3 things in (competitive) Rally2 car or in a WRC car. WRC car is certainly more expensive and might also add too much additional "noise", on the other hand it's also more visible and will also help him learn aero.

Which brings me to maybe the main reason why I think it was good for him to start here in WRC car. Looking at the performance of Rally2 cars and comparing the times with Arctic Rally 4 weeks ago I would say that in the current I20 R5 he'd at best be fighting for 3rd here. That doesn't not help much for points 1. or 2..... and point 3. was moot here since he already started Arctic 4 weeks ago.

So some middle strategy might be to learn rallies in Rally2, do the ralllies where he has some experience in WRC (Estonia for example) and also definitely wait for the new Hyundai Rally2.

scn
28th February 2021, 18:20
One of the best and most experienced co-drivers in my country with lots of knowledge about WRC said in a private conversation two years ago that Oliver is on the same level as Kalle and maybe even higher. And he added that both of them have the full potential to be future world champions and that we are going to see big fights between them in the future.
He was right. Period.

P.S. Any criticism for a 19-year old kid driving a WRC car in a WRC rally is just funny.

Rallyper
28th February 2021, 18:38
Despite what I thought it was definitely a good idea to start here for multiple reasons.

Adamo got PR and "pressure" towards Hyundai leadership ("look we have this new star in our team")

Solberg did a bit better than expected by most people, though not drastically better (like Ogier or Suninen on their first rallies).Though I don't think it was possible to get stage win in a "consistent" rally with similar stages like this one. Maybe most surprising was his "stability" in getting similar stage times in top 5.
To make him a complete driver he imo needs three things:
1. the ability to win/get results when under pressure and expected to perform (here there was no pressure)
2. stable performances in rallies (so far he usually is like Petter, great stage times in one stage and then a mistake or a big time loss on next, that doesn't win championships against "machines" like Ogier or Loeb)
3. learn rallies that he has not started on before (here he actually had an advantage compared to most drivers)

Hard to say what is the way forward, imo he can learn all 3 things in (competitive) Rally2 car or in a WRC car. WRC car is certainly more expensive and might also add too much additional "noise", on the other hand it's also more visible and will also help him learn aero.

Which brings me to maybe the main reason why I think it was good for him to start here in WRC car. Looking at the performance of Rally2 cars and comparing the times with Arctic Rally 4 weeks ago I would say that in the current I20 R5 he'd at best be fighting for 3rd here. That doesn't not help much for points 1. or 2..... and point 3. was moot here since he already started Arctic 4 weeks ago.

So some middle strategy might be to learn rallies in Rally2, do the ralllies where he has some experience in WRC (Estonia for example) and also definitely wait for the new Hyundai Rally2.

Come on! So hypotetically said. His performance in R5...? And talking about pressure, I´d say he had pressure after day one. And made it clear he managed it.

@scn We were many fans saying same as your co-driver friend Loris.

So let´s enjoy what he did. And wait and see what comes next. Anyway he did some greta things in Arctic Rally.

EstWRC
28th February 2021, 18:50
i dont want him to go back to R5, that was such a impressive debut and interesting to follow.

him and Kalle will be having huge battles for the title in some years.

doubled1978
28th February 2021, 18:56
i dont want him to go back to R5, that was such a impressive debut and interesting to follow.

him and Kalle will be having huge battles for the title in some years.

I’m with you, will be disappointing to see him back in the R5 now... I hope we can see him again in the WRC car this year. As MKnight said, the good PR for Hyundai might ensure that happens.

dimviii
28th February 2021, 18:57
One of the best and most experienced co-drivers in my country with lots of knowledge about WRC (dimviii, I am talking about Loris) said in a private conversation two years ago that Oliver is on the same level as Kalle and maybe even higher. And he added that both of them have the full potential to be future world champions and that we are going to see big fights between them in the future.
He was right. Period.

P.S. Any criticism for a 19-year old kid driving a WRC car in a WRC rally is just funny.

i agree too,and as i have already written here, imho Oliver is more impressive in my eyes.

mknight
28th February 2021, 19:01
Come on! So hypotetically said. His performance in R5...? And talking about pressure like he should even show that in Arctic? Or did I misunderstand?

Sorry but it's hard to get what you mean. I can extra-explain a bit:

1. Driving under pressure
What I mean that he needs to learn to come to a rally as a favorite/expected to get a result and do it. So far basically on all rallies rallies he entered any decent result is positive.

For a Rovanpera reference see start of 2019 where he "only" had to collect WRC2(Pro) title as a clearly biggest favorite.... and crashed in first 3 rallies of the season, in Monte even on first stage. There certainly were some lessons learned.

Maybe Solberg in a similar situation manages perfectly, but it's hard to say cause he has not been in one like that yet.

------

R5 performance in Arctic - based on a lot of indicators (Solbergs times in Arctic 4 weeks ago, Veibys times there and on the WRC rally, and performance of Finnish-drivers that did both rallies as well as Huttunens splits before retirement) I think Solberg would have had big problems with at least the top 2 Rally2 cars in this event, maybe even Gryazin.
Simply because the current Hyundai R5 is not fast enough on this kind of stages.

Since he also did the event 4 weeks ago it was much better to run in WRC (upgraded to almost? latest spec, better than Loubet anyway).

Rallyper
28th February 2021, 19:05
Sorry but it's hard to get what you mean. I can extra-explain a bit:

1. Driving under pressure
What I mean that he needs to learn to come to a rally as a favorite/expected to get a result and do it. So far basically on all rallies rallies he entered any decent result is positive.

For a Rovanpera reference see start of 2019 where he "only" had to collect WRC2(Pro) title as a clearly biggest favorite.... and crashed in first 3 rallies of the season, in Monte even on first stage. There certainly were some lessons learned.

Maybe Solberg in a similar situation manages perfectly, but it's hard to say cause he has not been in one like that yet.

------

R5 performance in Arctic - based on a lot of indicators (Solbergs times in Arctic 4 weeks ago, Veibys times there and on the WRC rally, and performance of Finnish-drivers that did both rallies as well as Huttunens splits before retirement) I think Solberg would have had big problems with at least the top 2 Rally2 cars in this event, maybe even Gryazin.
Simply because the current Hyundai R5 is not fast enough on this kind of stages.

Since he also did the event 4 weeks ago it was much better to run in WRC (upgraded to almost? latest spec, better than Loubet anyway).

I think you are very nonchalant in your speculations. Hypothetics in its worst form. Just stop. Admit he did a great job. Let´s see what comes next and let us not get more of your very nonsense here.

You can return the day your speculations are prooved.

TypeR
28th February 2021, 19:18
Solberg doesn't need wrc2 title or rally wins..
He was put to WRC car to (yeayea - have fun).. see if he has the pace. The answer is - YES.
Neither Gus, Takamoto, Pontus, Camilli or etc has shown such a speed on their WRC events..
They can cruise thru, but a young driver better shows speed and crashes, rather than safely/slowly goes thru the stages..

Mirek
28th February 2021, 19:22
Solberg doesn't need wrc2 title or rally wins..
He was put to WRC car to (yeayea - have fun).. see if he has the pace. The answer is - YES.
Neither Gus, Takamoto, Pontus, Camilli or etc has shown such a speed on their WRC events..

You have quite short memory. This is Pontus's first WRC start: https://www.ewrc-results.com/entryinfo/6532-rally-sweden-2013/244702/

mknight
28th February 2021, 19:23
I think you are very nonchalant in your speculations. Hypothetics in its worst form. Just stop. Admit he did a great job. Let´s see what comes next and let us not get more of your very nonsense here.

You can return the day your speculations are prooved.

Clearly you are unable to discuss anything related to Oliver Solberg without getting into crazy fanboy level of protectiveness.

I wrote he did very well immediately in the first post and discussing what might be the best way forward. You manage to turn everything into his criticism without even reading it properly, even things that mention what what was good for him.

The last two sentences of yours are truly epic "shut up talking about him". "Discussion" forum in the best form.

TypeR
28th February 2021, 19:43
You have quite short memory. This is Pontus's first WRC start: https://www.ewrc-results.com/entryinfo/6532-rally-sweden-2013/244702/

Yesyes. You found one rally in 2013 that was one off.. and 8y ago was really just like yesterday..
Otherwise he hasn't been/shown any real speed in top class.
More than sure that Solberg won't keep driving with R5 for next 2-3 years. There's no point to do that.

Mirek
28th February 2021, 19:47
Yesyes. You found one rally in 2013 that was one off.. and 8y ago was really just like yesterday..
Otherwise he hasn't been/shown any real speed in top class.
More than sure that Solberg won't keep driving with R5 for next 2-3 years. There's no point to do that.

I though you compare them when they started because the first WRC event went actually nearly same for both (bar the engine failure of Tidemand's car).

KiwiWRCfan
28th February 2021, 21:35
Who else noticed logo just above visor on Seb Marshall's helmet ?

Rallyper
1st March 2021, 07:58
Clearly you are unable to discuss anything related to Oliver Solberg without getting into crazy fanboy level of protectiveness.

I wrote he did very well immediately in the first post and discussing what might be the best way forward. You manage to turn everything into his criticism without even reading it properly, even things that mention what what was good for him.

The last two sentences of yours are truly epic "shut up talking about him". "Discussion" forum in the best form.

I´m sorry for being a bit harsh.

However I still don´t like your hypothetical theories about what he´d done IF he drove WRC2 class instead. That´s ridicoulus. It is like you don´t really can fully admit his performance.

And yes, it´s very nice having Oliver in the WRC circus as a Swede. But more is what he contributes for the whole rallying world. No matter from where he is.

denkimi
1st March 2021, 09:26
One thing we should not forget is that this was a new rally for almost all drivers except kalle and oliver. With kalle driving it basically one month ago.

Still an impressive debut, but i'm not sure he would have lost only 1:39 when all drivers would have had the same road knowledge.

Let's see what the future brings.

Sulland
1st March 2021, 10:28
Who else noticed logo just above visor on Seb Marshall's helmet ?

What logo?

wwbroe
1st March 2021, 10:58
One thing we should not forget is that this was a new rally for almost all drivers except kalle and oliver. With kalle driving it basically one month ago.

Still an impressive debut, but i'm not sure he would have lost only 1:39 when all drivers would have had the same road knowledge.

Let's see what the future brings.

I think it was Oliver driving in Rovaniemi one month ago, instead of Kalle.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2021, 12:59
His first rally in a full WRC car should negate any 'advantage' of driving in Lapland recently.

His driving was spectacular and reminded me of how the high-power WRX cars are driven (which he has also).

It's going to be great viewing if he gets some more top level drives with no pressure to be fastest and point-scoring.

SubaruNorway
1st March 2021, 15:16
Oliver said to parcferme.no that the road had changed so much since the national event that he didn't recognize himself and made brand new pace notes, also the WRC suits his driving style much more than the R5.
Ogier had told Petter Oliver putting pressure on him is one of the reasons he went off, also told Oliver that he used to have the "edge" on Petter but not on him :)

Oliver had 150km of test before Artic, I'm sure Kalle had quite a bit more before MC 2020.
I saw Oliver using the i20 WRC on RBR to get used to the speed, it feels really nice to drive so getting used to the speed and braking especially might have helped, who knows.

Rally Hokkaido
2nd March 2021, 13:44
Like father like son! Petter actually copied this from Oliver on to his own FB page. https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/likefatherlikeson

Rallyper
5th March 2021, 14:57
My thouhgts after ARF; will Oliver keep Seb as co-driver in his future career? Or is Seb under contract with other driver?

If I were team behind Oliver, this is what will contribute very much, no matter how good his Irish mate was. Is it harsh?

Andre Oliveira
5th March 2021, 15:23
Why Oliver should change codriver? Aaron only didn't start cause FIA stupid protocol.

skarderud
5th March 2021, 19:01
Oliver said that aron is his codriver this year, but they had seb in backup due to covid.

Rallyper
6th March 2021, 10:46
Why Oliver should change codriver? Aaron only didn't start cause FIA stupid protocol.

I know that of course. Read my quote again. I just made a question.

dimviii
7th March 2021, 11:11
What should Hyundai do next with Solberg?

After an amazing World Rally Car debut, everyone wants to know what Oliver Solberg does next. DirtFish debates

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-should-hyundai-do-next-with-solberg/

mknight
7th March 2021, 12:16
As I wrote just after Arctic for the future he needs 3 things:
1. Learn rallies
2. Learn to keep stable performance trough a rally
3. Learn to get a result when expected to ("under pressure")

1-2. he can learn in both WRC and Rally2. 3. is obviously not so easy with WRC, but it's also the last thing needed. So if someone provides the money surely he can drive WRC all the time. My impression is that the cost difference is huge though.

Don't like the "simple" comments made by multiple commentators saying "he has shown he is ready". Ready for what? Fight for championship, totally no. Fight for wins, no. Drive around in 4-6 place.... sure he has shown that, but what does that give by itself? Note that Rovanpera with like 2 years more R5/Rally2 experience basically had 2 rallies where he was in podium fight last year (Sweden and Estonia), on the others he was always clearly behind the other 5 drivers.

What I find funny in that article is D. Evans saying that putting him to WRC right now is "playing the long game" while driving Rally2 is better for short term. My impression is entirely the opposite and a lot of arguments in that article say the same. Clearly putting him in the car for Arctic was extremely short-term motivated by Adamo, as claimed by himself.

If 2022 cars were the same as this year it would be much clearer pick but they are not, especially the lack of active center dif imo also makes a big difference (lately Lappi said that in Arctic).
For Rally2 there is the important step of driving the old or the new car. The old one does seem to lack a bit behind competition on some surfaces (rough gravel and maybe a bit also on very fast gravel).

Anyway, there is a calendar of WRC rallies set up. No point to discuss abstract starts when we can discuss specific events. I'd pick this:
Croatia - Rally2, doesn't have much tarmac experience, I20 R5 seems decent on tarmac lately
Portugal and Sardinia - both in same car, WRC if new Rally2 car is not homologated yet, else new Rally2
Safari - doesn't matter imo
Estonia and Finland - again both same, WRC
Ypres, Chile, Catalunya and Japan - all Rally2 (unless the new one isn't ready)

That's 4x WRC and 5x Rally 2.

This also disregards any WRC2 title ambitions, hard to say how important that is for Hyundai. In either case the first big decision point is after Croatia with factors deciding:
- result in Croatia (anything worse than 3rd (or even 2nd), will made it really hard to have any WRC2 title chance while still doing some WRC starts imo. So ironically worse result should mean more WRC starts
- status of new Rally2 car homologation

SubaruNorway
7th March 2021, 14:32
What should Hyundai do next with Solberg?

After an amazing World Rally Car debut, everyone wants to know what Oliver Solberg does next. DirtFish debates

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-should-hyundai-do-next-with-solberg/

What should dirtfish make a story on next with Oliver...

Sulland
25th April 2022, 19:11
Oliver need to start seeing the chess-flag!

If you as a junior from the team is told to play libero, and wait till the others fail, and learn - then you need to do that.

pantealex
25th April 2022, 20:47
starting with Rally2 in Portugal is great idea for future, much better than staying home.

wyler
25th April 2022, 22:56
starting with Rally2 in Portugal is great idea for future, much better than staying home.

he ll do it, confirmed by himself.

pantealex
26th April 2022, 08:09
he ll do it, confirmed by himself.

That's why I wrote it ;)

wyler
26th April 2022, 08:18
That's why I wrote it ;)

my fault, took it as a suggestion! : )

lmmjvss
13th May 2022, 01:30
off-topicISH
Oliver will compete in one or two rounds of the European Rallycross championship too with a i20 built by Hedstroms Motorsport. (Not the WORLD rallycross with electric cars.)

Sulland
6th October 2022, 12:44
After his dismissal from Hyundai, what is the best and most likely way for Oliver for 2023?

- Privat Rally2
- Factory Rally2
- Factory Rally2 + a Few Rally 1
- Another combo

TypeR
6th October 2022, 13:06
After his dismissal from Hyundai, what is the best and most likely way for Oliver for 2023?

- Privat Rally2
- Factory Rally2
- Another combo

I don't know how their ties are with Skoda, but IF Mikkelsen to Hyundai, then Solberg to his seat?
New Fabia also coming.. + could be a heck of a livery with Skoda and Monster both green ;)

denkimi
6th October 2022, 14:48

- Privat Rally2
- Factory Rally2
- Another combo
He should go to rally2 and prove he can win there first.

mknight
6th October 2022, 15:27
WRC2 with Skoda (both with or without Mikkelsen) or Puma at MSport, but that wouldn't lower pressure much.

J4MIE
6th October 2022, 17:12
He reminds me of Latvala. Good driver and fantastic on his day, but not really a ‘great’ and makes far too many mistakes under pressure. No Loeb or Ogier, or dare I say it, Rovanperä?

The standards needed are exceedingly high these days.

With so few top seats available, you have to take your chance when it presents itself, and he’s not done it sadly.

I don’t think a move to M-Sport is the answer, unless its a full WRC2 season. Maybe some extra testing of a Puma would be an advantage for both him and M-Sport so could form part of a deal. Or some National events in a Puma?

dimviii
6th October 2022, 17:54
i am not sure if he can handle mentally this situation .
wrc2 season is the only way for him.Forget wrc1.Malcolm hasnt got more patience from Hyundai at crashed cars.

AnttiL
6th October 2022, 18:29
He reminds me of Latvala. Good driver and fantastic on his day

Examples of these days in the case of Oliver, please? There's maybe decent single stages but not fantastic full days

Danny0405
6th October 2022, 19:18
Well, would be M-Sport, I would clearly try to hire him. He seems on a bit positive trend, he has some potential and clearly, they don’t have much better option right now (Breen is really nowhere currently, Fourmaux also and Loubet, you can have some doubts on his real potential considering his international experience).

It’s a bet but in M-Sport situation, they can’t do nothing more and at least, they have avoided the learning phase so in the best case scenario, it could finish like a 2013 Neuville season.

Sulland
6th October 2022, 19:53
Solberg has talent, but was pushed up to WRC1 one year too early.
He should have done at least 1 season in a rally2 car. This to learn all the rallies, and not both learn the rallies and the brutal Rally1 car at the same time.

He now starts to get the car, and has stepped a few % back, to get km in the bank.

The speed he now has, will make it easier to hit the limit with something in reserve, since he masters a quicker car. Same as a few others in WRC2.

Now it depends on who still see a potential in Solberg, and give him a job, and might get a driver that can challenge Rovanpera in the years to come.

Malcolm normally has a nose to spot talent and opportunities in the future, lets see what happens.
Oliver also speaks french from his time in FFSA academy.....

Jarek Z
6th October 2022, 21:16
I don’t think a move to M-Sport is the answer, unless its a full WRC2 season.

A WRC2 season at M-Sport may be difficult. It didn't work very well for Huttunen or Kristensson...

Sulland
6th October 2022, 21:37
Agreed, but they got closer after the jokers, and they need one more to get on the podium.
And the Solberg team in sweden are very capable to pinpoint and correct trouble areas on gravel/snow.

So could be a good solution if all of the past is forgiven.

ELPE
7th October 2022, 09:57
"makes far to many mistakes " when you think about for exempel Colin McrRae or Solberg senior i think there is no problem with Oliver.

Franky
7th October 2022, 10:29
"makes far to many mistakes " when you think about for exempel Colin McrRae or Solberg senior i think there is no problem with Oliver.

Times have changed

AnttiL
7th October 2022, 11:59

Those guys also had fast stage times and won rallies

denkimi
7th October 2022, 12:07
Loeb changed that, win or bin it doesn't work anymore.

AndyRAC
7th October 2022, 13:52
He should have followed the example of Blomqvist & Sainz, and gone racing.....more opportunities.....

WRCStan
7th October 2022, 14:42
Loeb changed that, win or bin it doesn't work anymore.

That's too easy.

Maybe win or bin never worked, just at one time when the money and regs flowed free there were more manufacturers than viable driver choices at a time when rallies were won by minutes over longer routes of unknown stages, not tenths of seconds as today over sprints learnt by heart from a video whilst only one manufacturer is taking it equally serious. Mosley, a 'promoter', macro-economics and geopolitics can take more blame than Loeb, if he deserves it anyway.

cali
7th October 2022, 16:29
I think it's mostly down to the fact that in the 2000's cars got more stronger and less mechanical/technical issues occurred. Now also steady drivers got a chance although Loeb was fast and reliable - a freak of nature really.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

NOT
7th October 2022, 16:50
the main problem with oliver is that he is not fast and had all these accidents while struggling to be in top 6

he is very young of course but that does not mean anything... Wilsons son also started very young and never managed to become anything more than a laughing stock... one of the advantages of oliver is that the sport is literally dead so he could have future chances.

Rallyper
8th October 2022, 08:06
Without his massive failure in Finland he would still been at Huyndai. That´s my personal thought.

denkimi
8th October 2022, 15:31
Without his massive failure in Finland he would still been at Huyndai. That´s my personal thought.
without his father he would have never been in hyundai. He doesn't belong in a team that is trying to win a championship, and the fact that hyundai put him in a 3th car shows they don't even care about the title.

AnttiL
8th October 2022, 15:39
without his father he would have never been in hyundai. He doesn't belong in a team that is trying to win a championship, and the fact that hyundai put him in a 3th car shows they don't even care about the title.

But now they maybe do care?

denkimi
8th October 2022, 15:51
But now they maybe do care?
Is sure hope so. If they don't start taking this serious they might as well quit. No point in spending all those millions to make a car faster only to hire a driver who can't even get a podium.
Put him in a 4th car if you want to develop him, but you can't claim to be a serious contender for a title and put someone like him in the 3th car.

Hüttünen
9th October 2022, 05:34

I definitely agree. Finland was just tip of the iceberg for Solberg. People also tend to forgot how unbeliveable slow he is in those rallies where he doesn’t crash right away.

Rallyper
9th October 2022, 07:48
Slow? I wouldn´t say that. Give me examples.
I can see some of you guys happy over Oliver being lifted out. It´s because you´ve been after him since the very beginning. Jealousy, enviousness, I don´t know.

But spare your expressions of how bad driver he is. Because he is one of the best of the youngsters, no matter.
He´s not Kalle. Such drivers comes one in a century at most.

denkimi
9th October 2022, 10:37
Because he is one of the best of the youngsters, no matter.
and on what data do you base that claim? His single win in liepaja 2 years ago?

look beyond his name, look at the results. There is nothing there that would indicates he should have been promoted to a factory team trying to win the title.
Someone like mikkelsen is clearly a step above solberg and drivers like ostberg, suninen, huttunen, bulcacia, rossel, lefebvre or even gryazin are just as good.

This has nothing to do with jealousy, this is called being objective. If you want to contend a championship you need to hire the best drivers available. And solberg is not the best driver available, so he only is there because of his daddy.

Rallyper
9th October 2022, 11:09
and on what data do you base that claim? His single win in liepaja 2 years ago?

look beyond his name, look at the results. There is nothing there that would indicates he should have been promoted to a factory team trying to win the title.
Someone like mikkelsen is clearly a step above solberg and drivers like ostberg, suninen, huttunen, bulcacia, rossel, lefebvre or even gryazin are just as good.

This has nothing to do with jealousy, this is called being objective. If you want to contend a championship you need to hire the best drivers available. And solberg is not the best driver available, so he only is there because of his daddy.

Being objective need some more rational thinking than yours. And don´t compare to old established WRC drivers. I talked about youngsters. Don´t you think they need chances?

denkimi
9th October 2022, 12:16
Being objective need some more rational thinking than yours. And don´t compare to old established WRC drivers. I talked about youngsters. Don´t you think they need chances?
someone rational does not put a new unproven driver in a team where he needs to beat ogier and lappi for them to win the title.
For the perspective of the hyundai team trying to beat toyota that was an incredible stupid thing to do. Put him in a 4th car like katsuta.

AnttiL
9th October 2022, 14:54
Slow? I wouldn´t say that. Give me examples.

- Most of NZ Friday (on Saturday he had technical issues)
- Most of Ypres. He was fourth overall but best stage time was fifth and even that only once.
- Most of Estonia with a few decent stage times towards the end of the rally
- The beginning of Safari before his technical issues
- Most of the Friday stages in Croatia, with two good times at the end of the day.

It seems he's at his best on snow, with Arctic 2021 and Sweden 2022 being his two best performances overall.

bandit12
9th October 2022, 14:59
- Most of Ypres. He was fourth overall but best stage time was fifth and even that only once.
- Most of the Friday stages in Croatia, with two good times at the end of the day.

It seems he's at his best on snow, with Arctic 2021 and Sweden 2022 being his two best performances overall.

Both winter rallyes, where he could adjust car by leaning its rear end to snow bank. He tried it again in last year rally Finland and crashed quite heavily.

Rallyper
9th October 2022, 16:39
someone rational does not put a new unproven driver in a team where he needs to beat ogier and lappi for them to win the title.
For the perspective of the hyundai team trying to beat toyota that was an incredible stupid thing to do. Put him in a 4th car like katsuta.

That has never been their perspective. And you know it. It´s unfair claiming that.

Rallyper
9th October 2022, 16:40
Both winter rallyes, where he could adjust car by leaning its rear end to snow bank. He tried it again in last year rally Finland and crashed quite heavily.

This quote also shows very big lack of knowledge.

steve.mandzij
9th October 2022, 21:09

It seems he's at his best on snow, with Arctic 2021 and Sweden 2022 being his two best performances overall.let alone that he admitted (in the heat of the moment, after his crash in Finland) that he's either trying to be fast and crashing, or hopelessly slow, last, and churning through his tyres.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

wyler
10th October 2022, 08:20

it's not that i don't agree, but to put it in the context of "young drivers" we should compare this with the rookies.

seb_sh
10th October 2022, 11:11
I initially posted this in the Hyundai thread but now that i think of it it's more relevant here, so copy paste job. Basically I think Solberg is missing a year of focusing on WRC2 when when you compare his career steps with Rovanpera it's very obvious where they diverge:

(this part below is copied from my post in the Hyundai thread)
They both drove in Latvia as youngsters because they didn't have a licence. And as they began to beat people in Latvia started to add other championships. Rovanpera drove Latvia, Finland and Italy in 2017, Solberg did Latvia and America in 2019. They both did well at this stage, winning rallies and showing great speed and talent. Next step was WRC2 in 2018 for Rovanpera where he was fast but had some crashes, but he won a couple rallies, while Solberg was at a similar stage in 2020 racing in ERC and WRC2. Now this is perhaps the first point where Solberg lost a bit of momentum and experience because 2020 for him was to get used to being at the front in Rally2/R5 cars and it didn't help that it was a short year. The next stage for Rovanpera was full focus on WRC2 in 2019 where he won almost everything as we know, so far they had similar career steps and for Solberg this should have been 2021. But instead Adamo put him in the car on Arctic rally instead of the WRC2 as was the plan. After that he kept bouncing between the WRC2 and the WRC. Hyundai's Rally2 car was not great at the time so that plus constant switching probably confused him. Now at this point Rovanpera is a WRC2 winner having dominated the championship so Toyota decides to secure the future and put him in the car full time, the short 2020 wasn't good for him either but he had the WRC2 win behind him and he was steadily improving. Solberg got a partial season in a disorganised Hyundai team after a very confusing 2021.

I think Solberg is very talented but there was a big mistake made in his development especially when you put him side by side with Rovanpera's plan. I don't know who made the decisions of what to do, was it Adamo, the Koreans, his dad, Neuville, the Pope... In 2020 Oliver showed speed and 2021 should have been a year to focus on the WRC2 championship with some pressure and with fighting at the top but not so much to be in the main team, giving interviews etc. Most of the greats had that kind of season behind them when they went into the WRC and started to perform. That's Solberg's missing year.
(end of copy)

AnttiL
10th October 2022, 11:41
it's not that i don't agree, but to put it in the context of "young drivers" we should compare this with the rookies.

How many rallies in a top class machinery did it took for a driver to get their first stage win?
Fourmaux: 3 (with a shortcut? Otherwise it's 14)
Katsuta: 7
Loubet: 17
Greensmith: 22 (also very close in Portugal 2021)

Solberg got 13 rallies with top class cars and no stage win yet, one 2nd a handful of 3rd places in Sweden this year.

Out of these five drivers Katsuta is the only one who has won a power stage or gotten a podium. Katsuta and Loubet are the only ones who have led a rally.

240RS
11th October 2022, 13:44
Oliver Solberg for M-Sport Ford will be a very interesting story.

His father, Petter, left the same team 22 years ago under a cloud, and headed for Subaru, leaving a very unhappy Malcolm Wilson ruing giving him his big break. For many who followed the sport then, the headline 'Solberg at M-Sport' wasn't one they thought they would ever see again.

The moral here must be "never burn your bridges".

seb_sh
11th October 2022, 14:56
Oliver Solberg for M-Sport Ford will be a very interesting story.

His father, Petter, left the same team 22 years ago under a cloud, and headed for Subaru, leaving a very unhappy Malcolm Wilson ruing giving him his big break. For many who followed the sport then, the headline 'Solberg at M-Sport' wasn't one they thought they would ever see again.

The moral here must be "never burn your bridges".

Solberg drove for Ford/MSport as factory driver in 2012.

Gregor-y
11th October 2022, 19:52
Hard to remember that "hell freezing over" moment was ten years ago.

denkimi
12th October 2022, 03:33
That has never been their perspective. And you know it. It´s unfair claiming that.
Wait, i feel like i don't understand what you are trying to say. Do you claim hyundai is not trying to win the title?

Rallyper
12th October 2022, 16:11
Wait, i feel like i don't understand what you are trying to say. Do you claim hyundai is not trying to win the title?

I claim that Oliver wasn´t THE solution for winning the title.

Paul Hudson
13th October 2022, 16:28
Oliver Solberg to compete on the Cambrian Rally, The last round of the British Rally Championship at the end of the month, in a Polo R5.

Andre Oliveira
14th October 2022, 09:17
M-Sport is a good option to Solberg, but it is Solberg a good option to M-Sport?

denkimi
14th October 2022, 11:13
M-Sport is a good option to Solberg, but it is Solberg a good option to M-Sport?

if he pays them for it, then yes.

AnttiL
14th October 2022, 11:31
Is it good for Oliver's career to do another partial Rally1 season with lots of pressure (need to show skills on these few expensive drives) and to drive the Fiesta Rally2 which is not competitive in WRC2?

dimviii
14th October 2022, 14:20
Oliver Solberg: “Hyundai does not want to stay long in the WRC”

https://www.autohebdo.fr/actualites/rallye/wrc/oliver-solberg-hyundai-na-pas-envie-de-rester-longtemps-en-wrc.html