PDA

View Full Version : 2019 British GP - Silverstone

Nitrodaze
11th July 2019, 22:48
https://assets.heart.co.uk/2010/17/silverstone-circuit-launch1-1272605682-view-0.jpghttps://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/asi-production/product/0001/08/thumb_7486_product_big.jpeg

https://www.sportvideos.tv/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Silverstone-make-a-big-change-for-the-2017-Formula-1-British-Grand-Prix.jpg

We go into Silverstone after the quick summer break. The run of back to back wins of the Petronas Mercedes team was finally brought to an end by a brilliant drive from Verstapenn to claim a controversial win at the Redbull ring in Austria. Redbull's first win of the season and Honda's first F1 win in more than a decade.

The Austrian GP reveals an inherent weakness in the bulletproof W10 Mercedes. Its tightly wrapped engine section is susceptible to high temperatures. When ambient temperatures get high, it is hard to keep the Mercedes engines cool. A characteristic that their competitors exploited to snatch a win in a season that has become a Mercedes stranglehold. This would suggest that the W10 would be vulnerable in other similar high temperature tracks of which there are a few in the second half of the season.

However, the temperatures at Silverstone is likely to be very much to Mercede's liking. While there are a number of straights that would favor the Ferrari, there are equally a number of slow corners that would favor the Mercedes. Silverstone is likely to be a showdown between the Ferrari and the Mercedes. It is likely to be very tight in qualifying and in the race. This is one not to miss.

Sebastien Vettel was the last winner of this race and Lewis Hamilton holds the race lap record at 1:30.621 since 2017. I have a feeling that this record shall be broken this weekend.

And the very fine British grid girls :-)
http://www.thepaddockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/jm1505jy219-1050x700.jpg

Tazio
12th July 2019, 02:07
British grid girls :-)
http://www.thepaddockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/jm1505jy219-1050x700.jpg
:sailor: :bounce::facelick: :angel:

N. Jones
12th July 2019, 14:14
Eh.

Lots of action in FP1, which I missed of course. Watching FP2 now and I still feel that Chandhok and DiResta are useless.

Nitrodaze
12th July 2019, 15:52
Well, the silly season has started in earnest. Apparently, Vettel may be heading back to Redbull and Hulkenburg may replace Vettel at Ferrari. Ocon shall replace Hulkenburg at Renault. I think pigs would fly on this one.

Everyone seem to be talking about who would replace Gasly. I think Redbull would be making a mistake to get rid of Gasly. After all, they moved him up too early, he barely completed a full season before he was called to the senior team. He has hadly completed his first season in the senior team and there is talk of replacing him. That is hardball man!

The Black Knight
12th July 2019, 20:45
Well, the silly season has started in earnest. Apparently, Vettel may be heading back to Redbull and Hulkenburg may replace Vettel at Ferrari. Ocon shall replace Hulkenburg. I think pigs would fly on this one.

Everyone seem to be talking about who would replace Gasly. I think Redbull would be making a mistake to get rid of Gasly. After all, they moved him up too early, he barely completed a full season before he was call to the senior team. He has hadly completed his first season in the senior team and there is talk of replacing him. That is hardball man!
Clearly you don’t remember Kvyat who performed a lot better than Gasly has done. I fully comprehend, based on current form, why RBR would replace Gasly now. Three years later and I still don’t understand why they replaced Kvyat.

Bagwan
12th July 2019, 21:32
Clearly you don’t remember Kvyat who performed a lot better than Gasly has done. I fully comprehend, based on current form, why RBR would replace Gasly now. Three years later and I still don’t understand why they replaced Kvyat.

The fact they replaced Kvyat a few years ago may be the biggest reason they have Gasly still there now .
But , it also looks like the new front wing , which Gasly didn't have last race , has stabilized the rear of the car and given him some needed confidence .

Nitrodaze
12th July 2019, 23:33

The Kyvat saga is a strange one. It was not because he was underperforming. He crashed alot into other cars but was keeping Ricciado honest most of the time. Rather than work with him to sort out why he was crashing so much, they demoted him, then fired him and then rehired him. If Gasly got replaced before the season is over, he would set a new record of the shortest F1 career on record of a driver that has driven for two different teams. I am sure there hasn't been another in the history of the sport.

Nitrodaze
12th July 2019, 23:37
The fact they replaced Kvyat a few years ago may be the biggest reason they have Gasly still there now .
But , it also looks like the new front wing , which Gasly didn't have last race , has stabilized the rear of the car and given him some needed confidence .

Gasly topped the FP1 timesheet but l suspect on low fuel and supersoft tyres. His real task this weekend is to qualify within 0.3 seconds of Verstapenn and improve his race form.

Tazio
13th July 2019, 10:00
Ferrari seems to be destroying their front tires. I was watching "The Boss" and Charles's on-boards during the long runs and Charles's front looked really bad compared to Lewis's. We don't know fuel loads of course but one would think they would at least be somewhat close! :idea:

Nitrodaze
13th July 2019, 10:33
Ferrari seems to be destroying their front tires. I was watching "The Boss" and Charles's on-boards during the long runs and Charles's front looked really bad compared to Lewis's. We don't know fuel loads of course but one would think they would at least be somewhat close! :idea:

Ferrari have bad wear and graining in their front left tyre. It is killing their speed through the corners.

Nitrodaze
13th July 2019, 10:35
I think Gasly is going to out qualify Verstapenn for the first time this weekend.

Nitrodaze
13th July 2019, 13:18
I hope we get a repeat of the Max Factor this sunday. The Redbull seems faster than ever and Verstapenn is relishing the challenge.

Quali starts in a minute, very had to tell who is going to put it on pole. Bottas is looking good and Leclerc is looking like the guy to beat. But never write off Hamilton, l think he may spring a surprise in Q3. What are the chances of Gasly sticking the Redbull in the second row? I think very possible.

journeyman racer
14th July 2019, 03:08
Bottas with pole by a faint margin. He has to win.

Surely most of you will be watching the Cricket World Cup Final?

I wonder if a driver will be asking about the game during the race, the same way NZ supercars driver Scott McLaughlin did at Symmons Plains when the 2015 final was occurring?

. What are the chances of Gasly sticking the Redbull in the second row? I think very possible.
Wow, you were pretty close.

Nitrodaze
14th July 2019, 14:02
What a race so far :-)

Good race for Gasly

Leclerc vs Verstapenn part 2 is on

Tazio
14th July 2019, 14:09
Alright The Boss! :dork:

truefan72
14th July 2019, 14:13
Wow Ferrari??
Once again absolutely screwing leclerc.
Smh

truefan72
14th July 2019, 14:15
Why did they not pit bottas for hards

truefan72
14th July 2019, 14:19
Ok max made an overtake off the track. Easy penalty if he doesn't give back the position quickly

Tazio
14th July 2019, 14:19
Cracking race boyz!

truefan72
14th July 2019, 14:38
Wow wow wow
Vettel into verstappen
Drama!

truefan72
14th July 2019, 14:46
Norris also lost out in the sc period
Vettel gets a 10s penalty

truefan72
14th July 2019, 14:47
Oh my Hulkenberg...sigh

truefan72
14th July 2019, 14:49
Wtf are mercedes doing?
Trying to pit hamilton?
Completely unnecessary

airshifter
14th July 2019, 14:49
Formula 1 is boring right?

Lewis might coming in, it looks like Bottas has the gap to stay ahead of Leclerc, and both have a shot at fast lap with new tires.

Nitrodaze
14th July 2019, 14:53
Mercedes trying to pit Hamiltion with 4 laps to go. Dodgy

Nitrodaze
14th July 2019, 14:55
Wtf are mercedes doing?
Trying to pit hamilton?
Completely unnecessary

Yeah, very dodgy suggestion.

Nitrodaze
14th July 2019, 15:00
Formula 1 is boring right?

Lewis might coming in, it looks like Bottas has the gap to stay ahead of Leclerc, and both have a shot at fast lap with new tires.

What a race?

Hard racing and fighting at all sections of the race. Really great race.

airshifter
14th July 2019, 15:00
I think the idea of pitting Hamilton was about a shot at fast lap.

Turns out he got it even without the stop.

truefan72
14th July 2019, 15:01
Yeah, very dodgy suggestion.
And he still got the fastest lap.
He was right to dismiss the ridiculous strategy calls to pit.

The Black Knight
14th July 2019, 15:23
And he still got the fastest lap.
He was right to dismiss the ridiculous strategy calls to pit.

That’s the difference between the great and nearly great drivers. Bottas was on fresh tires and couldn’t beat Hamilton’s effort on 30 lap old tires. That’s actually really pathetic that Bottas coud not nab fastest lap.

So much for Bottas v2.0.

journeyman racer
14th July 2019, 15:42
3 cheapo wins for Hamilton this season.

Jag_Warrior made a good point about it on the Lewis Hamilton thread.

Nitrodaze
14th July 2019, 15:43
That’s the difference between the great and nearly great drivers. Bottas was on fresh tires and couldn’t beat Hamilton’s effort on 30 lap old tires. That’s actually really pathetic that Bottas coud not nab fastest lap.

So much for Bottas v2.0.

These Pirelli tyres are so inconsistent. They never know what they are getting at the pitstop untill they hit the racing line. In some cases, as Bottas, Verstapenn and few other drivers discovered, the new tyres could easily be worst than the one that they changed from. That is why l thought it was a very smart decision by Hamilton to stay with what he knew was working for him.

airshifter
14th July 2019, 15:51

So much for Bottas v2.0.

It's amazing how much your fanboy attitude with Lewis skews your views.

Sure, it was a great accomplishment to get a fast lap on older tires. But Bottas was the better racer on track this weekend. He beat Hamilton in qually, and then in a wheel to wheel fight for a number of laps on track. It appears that only thing that kept Bottas v2.0 from a Silverstone win was the timing of the safety car, and the strategy call to have Lewis run deeper. He was losing time to Bottas on track, so they threw out the Hail Mary unless it would have cost Lewis 2nd place.

So much for fanboys!

As for the overall race, boring F1 at it's finest again!

Some great on track action all around. Bottas/Hamilton. Max/Charles, Charles/Gasly, Max/Vettel, and then a lot of movers farther back in the pack. As usual some big winners and losers in the safety car shake up, including both of the top two teams. I'm not yet sure of the entry positions of Bottas and Leclerc when the safety car came out, but it seemed a really strange call that they didn't bring Bottas in on the next lap either way.

Gasly finally gets into the fight, even though some luck played into his hand. Kimi makes it into the points again, along with both Renaults. Kvyat manages to bring the Toro Rosso up into the standings as well.

I'm glad I watched this boring race live to catch all the action. The people that said F1 has become too boring are really losing out IMO.

gm99
14th July 2019, 16:10

So much for Bottas v2.0.

Well, Bottas had set the fastest lap by quite some margin (on his first flying lap on the new tires, I think), so he backed off, especially as no-one else in the top ten was on fresh tires. I'm sure he could have gone quicker in the end on low fuel, but neither he nor the team saw any reason to do so, given his position and the fact that he actually had the bonus point in his pocket at this time. When Hamilton did his fastest lap on the last lap of the race, there was simply no time left for Bottas to retaliate.

truefan72
14th July 2019, 16:44

So much for Bottas v2.0.

Indeed

zako85
14th July 2019, 17:05
When this season started I reckoned that Verstappen will finish this season third in the WDC behind Mercedes drivers, and lo and behold it looks like this is already happening.

N4D13
14th July 2019, 17:15
That safety car absolutely destroyed the race. I'm particularly gutted for Norris, who was having a dream home race and then got sent nowhere. The opposite could be said of Sainz, who wasn't brilliant after a poor qualifying, yet somehow managed to find himself getting best of the rest honors in a day when he just didn't deserve it.

I'm also upset that the safety car robbed us of a Hamilton-Bottas fight to the end. It could have been a real thriller, but Bottas got mugged there.

N. Jones
14th July 2019, 17:38
Now that was a good race.

What on earth is wrong with Haas?

truefan72
14th July 2019, 18:46
After rewatching the race, it was an awesome spectacle.
Leclerc v Verstappen is going to produce some epic battles in the upcoming races, let alone in the upcoming years.
It was a joy to watch them go at it like that.
upon further review, i rescind my call for a penalty for max in the overstake on leclerc. A bit dodgy but they were both outside the lines

It was also good to see a solid fight between the mercs at the start of the race
Ricciardo Norris battle was also quite good.
Midfield seems to be tightening up quite nice.

The vettel verstappen incident was quite interesting. And yeah, it was similar to the RBR incident in baku.
Vettel was at falut and the penalty was just.

Gasly with a redemption drive.
Ferrari still shortchanging leclerc though with the strategy

Haas Horror show continues.

so many stories up and down the grid.

Good race.

truefan72
14th July 2019, 18:54
That safety car absolutely destroyed the race. I'm particularly gutted for Norris, who was having a dream home race and then got sent nowhere. The opposite could be said of Sainz, who wasn't brilliant after a poor qualifying, yet somehow managed to find himself getting best of the rest honors in a day when he just didn't deserve it.

I'm also upset that the safety car robbed us of a Hamilton-Bottas fight to the end. It could have been a real thriller, but Bottas got mugged there.

Yeah, while i think the safety car was a tad bit unnecessary, i did understand why it was deployed.
The real issue was with some of the team calls or lack there of in recognizing the situation.
I immediately thought that they would bring bottas and leclerc in, as it was essentially a free pitstop, same with norris.
It continues to baffle me how, i can recognize that , but a team of strategists and all the info at their disposal still leads to absolute strategy blunders.

Where I agree with TBK is that bottas post Sc showed no real fight.
He had the faster compound that also warms up faster than the hard and took no initiative to take the fight to Hamilton.
In an identical car he should have at least taken a look at making a pass, taking the lead and trying to make up for the ridiculous pit blunder from mercedes.
And with the super softs on at the end of the race he should have pushed for a few laps and made sure that himilton with 30 lap old hards could not take the fastest lap from him.
But too often he is on passive cruise mode. i can't imagine rosberg being that timid.

henners88
14th July 2019, 19:14
Awesome win by Hamilton, number 6 at Silverstone, great for the home fans too. A decent race over all I thought. Cool to see Vettel apologising to Verstappen after shunting him off quite spectacularly! Exciting stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitrodaze
14th July 2019, 19:35
But Bottas was the better racer on track this weekend. He beat Hamilton in qually, and then in a wheel to wheel fight for a number of laps on track. It appears that only thing that kept Bottas v2.0 from a Silverstone win was the timing of the safety car, and the strategy call to have Lewis run deeper. He was losing time to Bottas on track, so they threw out the Hail Mary unless it would have cost Lewis 2nd place.

Bottas was at his very best today and it could have been a great spectacle to see the fight for the win between Bottas and Hamilton. Some say the safety car cheated Bottas of the win, but l think Hamilton may have won it anyway. Mainly because Hamilton really managed his tyres better than Bottas in this race, he may have got Bottas in the end l think.

airshifter
14th July 2019, 20:14
Bottas was at his very best today and it could have been a great spectacle to see the fight for the win between Bottas and Hamilton. Some say the safety car cheated Bottas of the win, but l think Hamilton may have won it anyway. Mainly because Hamilton really managed his tyres better than Bottas in this race, he may have got Bottas in the end l think.

May have. Kimi may have won the race.

Where did Lewis manage his tires better? He managed to stay behind Bottas until the pit stop, and the undercut was working. Bottas had already made up time to stay ahead before the safety car. The hards were working well for pretty much everyone after the stop, so all they could do was leave Bottas on track and hope for another safety car, since he was already on a second set of the mediums. The safety car gave the strategy advantage and the lead to Hamilton.

Not to take anything away from Lewis, as he drove a great race as well. But until the 3rd stop by Bottas, the gap was 3 seconds or so. Bottas had 2+ seconds over Hamilton on the short first stint at times, so it's not as if the two Mercs weren't fairly close to each other. Bottas would have had to pass Lewis and put the 18+ seconds on him to buy that 3rd pit stop, and the dicing early in the race pretty much showed that the cars were too close together in pace to even think that might happen.

Nitrodaze
14th July 2019, 20:44
May have. Kimi may have won the race.

Where did Lewis manage his tires better? He managed to stay behind Bottas until the pit stop, and the undercut was working. Bottas had already made up time to stay ahead before the safety car. The hards were working well for pretty much everyone after the stop, so all they could do was leave Bottas on track and hope for another safety car, since he was already on a second set of the mediums. The safety car gave the strategy advantage and the lead to Hamilton.

Not to take anything away from Lewis, as he drove a great race as well. But until the 3rd stop by Bottas, the gap was 3 seconds or so. Bottas had 2+ seconds over Hamilton on the short first stint at times, so it's not as if the two Mercs weren't fairly close to each other. Bottas would have had to pass Lewis and put the 18+ seconds on him to buy that 3rd pit stop, and the dicing early in the race pretty much showed that the cars were too close together in pace to even think that might happen.

I think Bottas had to stop for tyres when he did because he had chewed up his tyres, unfortunately, he had to do so before the safety car was sent out. Hamilton was able to run a longer first stint because he managed his tyres better. In the first stint, Hamilton was all over Bottas but occasionally had to pull back to cool the car down and was able to catch up to Bottas soon after cooling, quite easily.

Without the safety car, chances are that Hamilton may have pitted and come out behind Bottas. But with three or four laps fresher tyres. I think Bottas would have been vulnerable towards the end of the second stint because he is harder on his tyres, hence he wears them down faster than Hamilton, who would be on four laps fresher tyres when Bottas begins to struggle with tyre wear. Judging by how determined Hamilton was for the win, l struggle to see how Bottas would have kept Hamilton behind when he started to suffer from tyre wear at the closing stages of the race.

Bottas' weak point this season is his poor tyre management. That said, he drove a very respectable race today but l could not see him winning this one.

Nitrodaze
14th July 2019, 21:02
The Leclerc vs Verstapenn fight today was great fun to watch. While l am glad the stewards did not get too involved in the minor infringement of the race, l think Verstapenn was lucky not to get a penalty for his off track excursion and his re-entry to the track where he then reclaim the position ahead of Leclerc. You could argue the he got an advantage pushing hard while off the track; not dissimilar to Ricciado vs Raikonnen that attracted a penalty for Ricciado . You can also argue that his re-entry unto the track was not dissimilar to that of Vettels Canada re-entry that was deemed unsafe.

It seems some semblance of sanity has finally entered into the approach of the stewards. At this Silverstone race, the stewards have redefined the line of culperbility in close quarter racing. But once again using the racing of Leclerc vs Verstapenn to express their new position. Leclerc really got his elbows out and stuck it to Verstapenn in Verstapenn style. It was exciting to watch and boy, are we in for a treat with these two in the future races of the season.

I predicted Gasly would finish in the top four and there he finished. It is good to see the Frenchman finally have a good race weekend.

Duncan
15th July 2019, 01:49
What a race! Lots going on today, with some great performances from many drivers.

Obviously congrats to Hamilton, who did well to manage tires and make the one stop strategy work. A big gift to him with the safety car, but I'm not sure whether that would have changed the outcome, with Bottas committed to a two-stop strategy by then in any case. The safety car certainly hurt Leclerc very badly, with an assist from his own team who still don't seem to make effective strategy calls post Arrivabene. It came back to him in the end thanks to Vettel, but I'm sure he's quietly fuming at the missed opportunity.

Great drive from Norris, who seemed understandably pretty upset at losing out in the safety car scramble, but he looked really impressive in the car today. Not to mention that McLaren is definitely back.

As for Vettel, OMG. I'm really starting to wonder whether we're going to see him next season. I don't want to minimize the challenges here, and understand that these are very difficult cars to drive and that he suddenly found himself missing downforce in Verstappen's wash, but c'mon. These are elite level drivers, and Vettel is the #1 driver at Scuderia Ferrari. He just can't be making these sorts of mistakes with the frequency he's making them.

Nitrodaze
15th July 2019, 06:24
What a race! Lots going on today, with some great performances from many drivers.

Obviously congrats to Hamilton, who did well to manage tires and make the one stop strategy work. A big gift to him with the safety car, but I'm not sure whether that would have changed the outcome, with Bottas committed to a two-stop strategy by then in any case. The safety car certainly hurt Leclerc very badly, with an assist from his own team who still don't seem to make effective strategy calls post Arrivabene. It came back to him in the end thanks to Vettel, but I'm sure he's quietly fuming at the missed opportunity.

Great drive from Norris, who seemed understandably pretty upset at losing out in the safety car scramble, but he looked really impressive in the car today. Not to mention that McLaren is definitely back.

As for Vettel, OMG. I'm really starting to wonder whether we're going to see him next season. I don't want to minimize the challenges here, and understand that these are very difficult cars to drive and that he suddenly found himself missing downforce in Verstappen's wash, but c'mon. These are elite level drivers, and Vettel is the #1 driver at Scuderia Ferrari. He just can't be making these sorts of mistakes with the frequency he's making them.

Vettel had a red mist moment, that was why he crashed into Verstapenn. He is not happy with the Ferrari at the moment. But Ferrari would be daft to let Vettel go. Their current pairing is the best they have had since the Alonso-Massa pairing.

journeyman racer
15th July 2019, 09:48
I don't think the FIA (and neutral fans) can accept the a random moment when the safety car was deployed have such an impact on the progression of the race and results anymore.

It's all very well to assume that Hamilton would've won anyway, but that's BS as well. There's a huge difference between assuming it'll happen and giving the benefit of the doubt and it actually happening. Hamilton couldn't pick off Bottas when it looked as though he did.

MotoGP is also a race about tyre management, and sometime the trailing bike can't get the better of the lead bike.

There's obviously a lot of people that couldn't care less because Hamilton won. But people nowadays scrutinise what happens a lot more now. They'll let this slide, and the let the next one, and the next one. There'll have to be change one day for the integrity of the racing.

The MB chief engineer said on Rosberg's race vlog that they did turn up the power a bit for Hamilton's attempt at FL. So it's a question whether they let Bottas knew about it and he got that opportunity.

henners88
15th July 2019, 12:27
Without the safety car, chances are that Hamilton may have pitted and come out behind Bottas. But with three or four laps fresher tyres. I think Bottas would have been vulnerable towards the end of the second stint because he is harder on his tyres, hence he wears them down faster than Hamilton, who would be on four laps fresher tyres when Bottas begins to struggle with tyre wear. Judging by how determined Hamilton was for the win, l struggle to see how Bottas would have kept Hamilton behind when he started to suffer from tyre wear at the closing stages of the race.

Bottas' weak point this season is his poor tyre management. That said, he drove a very respectable race today but l could not see him winning this one.
That’s the way I saw it too. I think Hamilton would have caught Bottas towards the end and the fact Lewis was setting a lap record on 30 lap old tyres to me suggests he had managed them very well. Credit to Bottas though as I thought he drove a good race. The re-pass through Copse was particularly good I thought. Not a bad race at all after a period of the sport looking quite dull. Just need Liberty Media to push for more races to be on TV now!

The Black Knight
15th July 2019, 16:00
Well, Bottas had set the fastest lap by quite some margin (on his first flying lap on the new tires, I think), so he backed off, especially as no-one else in the top ten was on fresh tires. I'm sure he could have gone quicker in the end on low fuel, but neither he nor the team saw any reason to do so, given his position and the fact that he actually had the bonus point in his pocket at this time. When Hamilton did his fastest lap on the last lap of the race, there was simply no time left for Bottas to retaliate.

Bottas’s lap time should have been well out of reach of a guy on 30 lap old slower compound tires. Whether he could have responded or not is irrelevant. They both had one hot lap, one guy on brand spanking new tires, the other on 30 lap old tires and the guy with the old tires came out on top.

Nitrodaze
15th July 2019, 16:52
Bottas’s lap time should have been well out of reach of a guy on 30 lap old slower compound tires. Whether he could have responded or not is irrelevant. They both had one hot lap, one guy on brand spanking new tires, on the other on 30 lap old tires and the guy with the old tires came out on top.

That Hamilton lap [1:27:369] was 3.3 seconds faster than the old race lap record from 2017 which was 1:30:612. Awesome

The Black Knight
15th July 2019, 16:58
That Hamilton lap [1:27:369] was 3.3 seconds faster than the old race lap record from 2017 which was 1:30:612. Awesome

It was an amazing lap, the onboard of it is on sky website, but it’s a shame they cut to the camera facing the drivers helmet half way through.

To be honest, I feel sorry for any fan that can’t appreciate what he did on that lap yesterday.

henners88
15th July 2019, 17:44
It was an amazing lap, the onboard of it is on sky website, but it’s a shame they cut to the camera facing the drivers helmet half way through.

To be honest, I feel sorry for any fan that can’t appreciate what he did on that lap yesterday.
It was a brilliant lap and it’s clear Lewis is more than comfortable around Silverstone. I do think Bottas has more going on than we realise though as he’s not that far off the pace on new tyres.

What shocked me was how F1 has evolved so much in 10 years. Hamilton is right when he says the cars now are much easier to drive than they used to be. Looking at a comparison of the current Merc compared to a Brawn GP Mercedes it’s clear the Brawn was much harder to drive. Lots of movement on the steering wheel with plenty of correction and a manual brake adjustment on the side of the cockpit. The cars now look like the drivers are playing on a PS3. It would be nice to get a bit more of driver involvement back and a less automated car IMO.

Duncan
15th July 2019, 18:12
I'm assuming that Lewis had some sort of "white powder party mode" for that last lap, but it was still totally nuts to be able to set fastest lap on 30-lap-old hard tires on a circuit like Silverstone, which although it might have some long straights, isn't exactly known primarily as a power circuit.

Nitrodaze
15th July 2019, 19:13
I'm assuming that Lewis had some sort of "white powder party mode" for that last lap, but it was still totally nuts to be able to set fastest lap on 30-lap-old hard tires on a circuit like Silverstone, which although it might have some long straights, isn't exactly known primarily as a power circuit.

True, that was because all the gains came from the corners, the Mercedes was like it was on rails flying through those corners. It was awesome to watch l tell ya!

Nitrodaze
16th July 2019, 00:39
Mercedes are starting their dodgy games again. I was very shocked when they asked Hamilton to pit with four laps to go. They did not enquire if tyres were ok or if he would like to pit for new tyres. They just said BOB BOX BOX, thankfully Hamilton did not heed the call to pit. If he had, it would have put him in close proximity to Bottas or possibly behind Bottas if anything had gone wrong during the pitstop.

They are back to their 2016 dodgy ways. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in the Mercedes meeting room during the after race briefing to hear the discussions about this.

henners88
16th July 2019, 09:23
Mercedes are starting their dodgy games again. I was very shocked when they asked Hamilton to pit with four laps to go. They did not enquire if tyres were ok or if he would like to pit for new tyres. They just said BOB BOX BOX, thankfully Hamilton did not heed the call to pit. If he had, it would have put him in close proximity to Bottas or possibly behind Bottas if anything had gone wrong during the pitstop.

They are back to their 2016 dodgy ways. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in the Mercedes meeting room during the after race briefing to hear the discussions about this.

Don’t forget that inside every team they have competitive sides of the garage trying to compete against the other. They also have management looking to best secure a result that puts either driver in good stead for the world championship. In regards to Mercedes we have decisions being made to get Hamilton in a good position to beat Bottas and vice versa hence why Bottas pulled off an impressive pole in Sunday. Teams can make calls on tyres due to telemetry feedback from the tyre sensors too so driver input on how they feel isn’t always needed if a pit stop is achievable to get a favourable result.

Nitrodaze
16th July 2019, 09:38
Don’t forget that inside every team they have competitive sides of the garage trying to compete against the other. They also have management looking to best secure a result that puts either driver in good stead for the world championship. In regards to Mercedes we have decisions being made to get Hamilton in a good position to beat Bottas and vice versa hence why Bottas pulled off an impressive pole in Sunday. Teams can make calls on tyres due to telemetry feedback from the tyre sensors too so driver input on how they feel isn’t always needed if a pit stop is achievable to get a favourable result.

For a tyre that ended up doing the fastest lap of the race and smashing the track race lap record, l don't see how any of what you say has any bearing on why they asked Hamilton to pit. They gave no reason and they did not ask the driver of the state of the tyres. He was simply called in out of the blue with only four laps to go. There is no way in hell anyone, including Bottas was going to catch Hamilton before the end of the race from over 20 seconds. I don't buy it.

That was either the daftest pit call in F1 history or attempt to manipulate the end of the race. We are talking Mercedes here, they don't make these kinds of daft mistakes.

The Black Knight
16th July 2019, 09:54
For a tyre that ended up doing the fastest lap of the race and smashing the track race lap record, l don't see how any of what you say has any bearing on why they asked Hamilton to pit. They gave no reason and they did not ask the driver of the state of the tyres. He was simply called in out of the blue with only four laps to go. There is no way in hell anyone, including Bottas was going to catch Hamilton before the end of the race from over 20 seconds. I don't buy it.

That was either the daftest pit call in F1 history or attempt to manipulate the end of the race. We are talking Mercedes here, they don't make these kinds of daft mistakes.

The reason they did it was to protect against another potential safety car situation where they are all bunched up and Hamilton would then be really exposed on 30 lap old tires. I get why they wanted to do it but in this scenario it was just adding unnecessary risk and it was the wrong call to make. It’s good to see Hamilton took the decision out of the teams hands. 3 years ago he would have pitted.

henners88
16th July 2019, 09:59

I guess if they had time to pit him that close to the end of the race it was based on not gambling on the potential for a tyre failure or a safety car maybe.

journeyman racer
16th July 2019, 12:17
The radio call is only a big deal because it was broadcasted. It was nothing otherwise.

Nitrodaze
16th July 2019, 21:27
The reason they did it was to protect against another potential safety car situation where they are all bunched up and Hamilton would then be really exposed on 30 lap old tires. I get why they wanted to do it but in this scenario it was just adding unnecessary risk and it was the wrong call to make. It’s good to see Hamilton took the decision out of the teams hands. 3 years ago he would have pitted.

With four laps to the end, the smarter call would have been to take the risk of making it to the end of the race with the hard tyres, if after asking Hamilton this is the mutual agreement. Pitting is more risky in this situation. If a safety car was called out at 4 laps to the end of the race, chances are that the race would have finished under the safety car. There is no excuse that would explain a sensible reason to call Hamilton into the pits.

truefan72
17th July 2019, 02:45
With four laps to the end, the smarter call would have been to take the risk of making it to the end of the race with the hard tyres, if after asking Hamilton this is the mutual agreement. Pitting is more risky in this situation. If a safety car was called out at 4 laps to the end of the race, chances are that the race would have finished under the safety car. There is no excuse that would explain a sensible reason to call Hamilton into the pits.

yup!

The Black Knight
17th July 2019, 06:58

Fair points - agreed!

Bagwan
17th July 2019, 19:47
Consider this .
Lewis was asked to pit at a time when it only made sense from a fastest lap point of view .
He refused , and went fastest right away .

Toto has said that it kind of makes the data look silly in this case .
He is fast , but is he that fast ?

I think there is possibly more to it than that .
I think they are faster than they want to show , as it has had an effect on the show , itself .
I think it's most likely they were telling Hamilton that he could go for fastest lap , if , and only if , he took new tires , so as not to show the sandbags .

I think Lewis was being a bit naughty , and a little greedy when he took that point from his team mate .

I think , with harsh feedback on the sport starting to come in because of this Merc domination , the overheating issue we've seen recently , is also a ruse , designed to give the others hope in hot places , and to keep the championship fight alive in the eyes of fans .

It's what it smells like to me .
What think you cats ?

Nitrodaze
18th July 2019, 00:29
Consider this .
Lewis was asked to pit at a time when it only made sense from a fastest lap point of view .
He refused , and went fastest right away .

Toto has said that it kind of makes the data look silly in this case .
He is fast , but is he that fast ?

I think there is possibly more to it than that .
I think they are faster than they want to show , as it has had an effect on the show , itself .
I think it's most likely they were telling Hamilton that he could go for fastest lap , if , and only if , he took new tires , so as not to show the sandbags .

I think Lewis was being a bit naughty , and a little greedy when he took that point from his team mate .

I think , with harsh feedback on the sport starting to come in because of this Merc domination , the overheating issue we've seen recently , is also a ruse , designed to give the others hope in hot places , and to keep the championship fight alive in the eyes of fans .

It's what it smells like to me .
What think you cats ?

I am not sure what is going on. One thing is clear, the Ferrari has drifted backwards into the clutches of the Redbull and a clear gap has opened up between Mercedes and Ferrari. But we knew this would happen at this point of the season where we expected Mercedes to understand the W10 properly and bring parts to open the gap to Ferrari.

Bottas' pace would suggest that Mercedes is not sandbagging. I think what we saw at Silverstone was all Hamilton at his best. The pitting saga was confusing and looked and sounded very suspect. I think Mercedes were trying to manufacture an interesting finale to the race by bringing Hamilton closer to Bottas to give Bottas a chance to fight Hamilton for the win. Hamilton was not having it, plain and simple. They are back to their old games , Mercedes.

N4D13
18th July 2019, 08:37
I honestly think you guys are getting too bored and chasing ghosts.

It made sense for Merc to have Hamilton pit 7-8 laps before the end of the race because no one knew how the hard tyres would last, and Silverstone is notable for tyre degradation with all its very high-speed corners. At that time of the race, Lewis had a gap to Bottas large enough to make a pitstop and still come out in front, so it was a sensible thing to do. He refused to, so they pitted Bottas first.

Keep in mind that before the race, Bottas didn't think a one-stop was possible, and apparently neither did McLaren either, as they wrecked Norris' race by failing to pit him under the SC as they didn't think that their cars could get to the checkered flag with one single stop. Hindsight is 20/20, but the teams didn't really know how well the hard tyres would last until the race was over.

Nitrodaze
18th July 2019, 09:07
I honestly think you guys are getting too bored and chasing ghosts.

It made sense for Merc to have Hamilton pit 7-8 laps before the end of the race because no one knew how the hard tyres would last, and Silverstone is notable for tyre degradation with all its very high-speed corners. At that time of the race, Lewis had a gap to Bottas large enough to make a pitstop and still come out in front, so it was a sensible thing to do. He refused to, so they pitted Bottas first.

Keep in mind that before the race, Bottas didn't think a one-stop was possible, and apparently neither did McLaren either, as they wrecked Norris' race by failing to pit him under the SC as they didn't think that their cars could get to the checkered flag with one single stop. Hindsight is 20/20, but the teams didn't really know how well the hard tyres would last until the race was over.

Sorry buddy, the five time world champion knew how his tyres were.

airshifter
18th July 2019, 12:22
Thought the commentators were talking about concerns of the tires "falling off a cliff" I personally thought the desire for the final pit by Lewis was simply the pursuit of the fast lap. The gap was there, but IMO still not worth the risk for a single point. Even if the tires did go off suddenly, it's not like they were going to lose 4-5 seconds a lap.

Hindsight is easy for us. The people making the calls had no idea that Lewis could pull off a fastest lap on those old tires when they made the call.

And Bagwan, though I can't say I agree that it's all sandbagging for the show, I do agree that most drivers are probably faster than the hand they show. But in my view, it's the tire choices that are limiting them more. With fuel stops out of the picture now, as well as tires that don't last, the multi stop races are almost gone. I think a lot of time they are running to the pace that the tires and strategy allow. It's a shame we don't have more durable tires, as I think the cars would set faster laps on a regular basis if the days of tire wars were still around.

Nitrodaze
18th July 2019, 13:04
Thought the commentators were talking about concerns of the tires "falling off a cliff" I personally thought the desire for the final pit by Lewis was simply the pursuit of the fast lap. The gap was there, but IMO still not worth the risk for a single point. Even if the tires did go off suddenly, it's not like they were going to lose 4-5 seconds a lap.

Hindsight is easy for us. The people making the calls had no idea that Lewis could pull off a fastest lap on those old tires when they made the call.

And Bagwan, though I can't say I agree that it's all sandbagging for the show, I do agree that most drivers are probably faster than the hand they show. But in my view, it's the tire choices that are limiting them more. With fuel stops out of the picture now, as well as tires that don't last, the multi stop races are almost gone. I think a lot of time they are running to the pace that the tires and strategy allow. It's a shame we don't have more durable tires, as I think the cars would set faster laps on a regular basis if the days of tire wars were still around.

Quite true. The tyre war between Bridgestone and Michelin really fired up some lap times. The Pirelli tyres are not good enough l think. And l find it crazy that they have to choose tyre allocations for a track, many months before the race. I find that quite pointless and only convenient for Pirelli. As you observed, the only limiting factors for the cars going faster at the moment, are the Pirelli tyres. Most teams such as Haas are unable to realize their true pace with these tyres.

Nitrodaze
18th July 2019, 18:39
Mclaren has really impressed me this year. The world champions are finally on the mend. I don't want to say much more so as not to jinx them. But bravo Mclaren!

Nitrodaze
19th July 2019, 07:52
The radio call is only a big deal because it was broadcasted. It was nothing otherwise.

It might appear to be trivial but l think there is more than meets the eye. If we go on face value, unfortunately the radio messages got broadcasted and it suggested that Mercedes did not have a handle on the end of the British GP. Secondly, they did not consult their drivers to find out the state of the tyres were and what they think about pitting, which l found unusual. Thirdly, they issued what was effectively an order to pit, which is very rare for Mercedes to do. Finally, The instruction to pit was ignored by the driver that won the race.

The problem for Mercedes is that, the episode had two perspective by the fans. Some think that they are trying to manipulate the end of the race. Others think the dumb strategist of old is back on the Mercedes pitwall. Whatever the case, it is not a good public opinion for Mercedes.

I think they would spend some time discussing these things to understand what to do next time round in similar situation.

journeyman racer
19th July 2019, 11:34
Personally, I don't think they give a ****.

MB haven't split their strategies this year, but did last weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if they even wanted Hamilton to pit late for no other reason than they can say they gave both their drivers the same amount of stops and let them decide it on the track.

Hamilton obviously is confident and has clout within the team, so he can go against team orders.

I'll link this article again.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/16/bottas-regrets-discounting-one-stop-strategy/

Wolff confirmed that the plan was to split the strategies of the two Mercedes, although the team had expected to also bring Hamilton back into the pits at some stage.

“Obviously both of them drove a brilliant race, both of them would have deserved to win the race, and in that instance, the Safety Car swung in the favour of one driver.”

So it was meant to be Bottas with med, med, hard. Hamilton with med, hard, med. The safety car contributed significantly. Hamilton did not have to pass Bottas on the track. The supposedly inferior strategy ended up being the best one.

Bagwan
19th July 2019, 11:37
It might appear to be trivial but l think there is more than meets the eye. If we go on face value, unfortunately the radio messages got broadcasted and it suggested that Mercedes did not have a handle on the end of the British GP. Secondly, they did not consult their drivers to find out the state of the tyres were and what they think about pitting, which l found unusual. Thirdly, they issued what was effectively an order to pit, which is very rare for Mercedes to do. Finally, The instruction to pit was ignored by the driver that won the race.

The problem for Mercedes is that, the episode had two perspective by the fans. Some think that they are trying to manipulate the end of the race. Others think the dumb strategist of old is back on the Mercedes pitwall. Whatever the case, it is not a good public opinion for Mercedes.

I think they would spend some time discussing these things to understand what to do next time round in similar situation.

Or , they did have more of a handle on the end of the race , and didn't want to show their hand .
They didn't consult them , perhaps , because they knew already that Lewis wanted the fastest lap , and thus , the order to pit .

It's just speculation on my part , but it seems to fit pretty well .
With all the whines from everyone about tires , he shouldn't have been able to do that time on a set that was 30 laps old .

Bagwan
19th July 2019, 11:45
Personally, I don't think they give a ****.

MB haven't split their strategies this year, but did last weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if they even wanted Hamilton to pit late for no other reason than they can say they gave both their drivers the same amount of stops and let them decide it on the track.

Hamilton obviously is confident and has clout within the team, so he can go against team orders.

I'll link this article again.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/16/bottas-regrets-discounting-one-stop-strategy/

So it was meant to be Bottas with med, med, hard. Hamilton with med, hard, med. The safety car contributed significantly. Hamilton did not have to pass Bottas on the track. The supposedly inferior strategy ended up being the best one.

The split strategy idea fits in well with them becoming more sensitive to the fact they're hearing that they are winning too much , making F1 boring .
They can afford to add some spice to the show when they lead as much as they do now .

journeyman racer
19th July 2019, 12:30
The split strategy idea fits in well with them becoming more sensitive to the fact they're hearing that they are winning too much , making F1 boring .
They can afford to add some spice to the show when they lead as much as they do now .

With Bottas a legitimate championship contender this season. Their priority should be, and I suspect is the case, to allow a fair opportunity to win the championship on the track. To this, they'd have to limit the influence the pit can have on their races and be as evenhanded as possible.

Bagwan
19th July 2019, 13:59
With Bottas a legitimate championship contender this season. Their priority should be, and I suspect is the case, to allow a fair opportunity to win the championship on the track. To this, they'd have to limit the influence the pit can have on their races and be as evenhanded as possible.

What you say makes sense , and could play along with the idea that Hamilton was being naughty , taking VB's point away from him at the last minute .
If it's true that they showed too much with that lap , the unintended consequence could be a very disgruntled Bottas , and some serious tension between them , and a more interesting fight to the end .

So , things could get really interesting in the next few races .
I really hope I'm right , but I also really hope I'm wrong about this .

Bagwan
19th July 2019, 16:46
Just read another quote from Merc engineers saying they "truthfully" have no idea how he did it .

That seals it . They are obviously lying .

The Black Knight
19th July 2019, 18:56
Just read another quote from Merc engineers saying they "truthfully" have no idea how he did it .

That seals it . They are obviously lying .

Oh ffs.

journeyman racer
19th July 2019, 23:31
Watch form 3:45. Rosberg talks MB engineer, Andrew Shovlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMrASv07Qqw

edit: This video was edited. You'll see there was a cut of from 4:26? There was a bit where Shovlin said they turned up the engine for him for that last lap. It's not included here.

Nitrodaze
20th July 2019, 10:02
Or , they did have more of a handle on the end of the race , and didn't want to show their hand .
They didn't consult them , perhaps , because they knew already that Lewis wanted the fastest lap , and thus , the order to pit .

It's just speculation on my part , but it seems to fit pretty well .
With all the whines from everyone about tires , he shouldn't have been able to do that time on a set that was 30 laps old .

I suppose, this is another perspective. Hamilton's fastest lap on 30 laps old tyres suggests that Mercedes had more speed in the car than they showed. But all teams drive well within the speed of the engine to protect the life of the engine. Hamilton was probably more willing to take some life out of the engine at this race than would be advised by his engineers. I don't think there is anything extraordinary on the speed front. But there is something uncanny about being able to do a fastest lap on a 30 laps old tyres. I bet all the teams suffering with the Pirelli tyres would be very interested in this.

Bagwan
20th July 2019, 11:19
Oh ffs.

Should I have included a "hee hee" in that particular post ?

Bagwan
20th July 2019, 16:00

edit: This video was edited. You'll see there was a cut of from 4:26? There was a bit where Shovlin said they turned up the engine for him for that last lap. It's not included here.

So , does that prove there is sand in the bags , or not ?

Nitrodaze
20th July 2019, 18:44

This is not evidence, we only have your word which is not proof. I watched Rosbergs podcast on youtube after the race and l don't remember him saying that. Besides, the team did not expect Hamilton to go for the Fastest lap on those tyres.

Jag_Warrior
20th July 2019, 18:55
IBut there is something uncanny about being able to do a fastest lap on a 30 laps old tyres. I bet all the teams suffering with the Pirelli tyres would be very interested in this.

It's taken me a few days to be able to watch this race. So I'm late to the game. But that major feat is what blew me away. How he do dat?!

If every third or fourth race was as exciting as this British GP, I think most (real) fans would suffer through the snoozers and would stop complaining about "the state of Formula One".

Wow, what a race! :bounce:

Nitrodaze
20th July 2019, 21:34

I just watched the post race interview of the drivers. One of the questions asked by the journalists was about tyre strategy. Hamilton was asked if Mercedes planned to split their tyre strategy before the race, and Hamilton and Bottas answered that the original plan was for a two stop strategy using Medium Medium Hard tyres. This was considered the fastest strategy from the many simulations. Hamilton hinted that he took it upon himself to go for a one stop strategy to counter Bottas who had the first choice on stops etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4wbftiWrY

I think the team did not have much to do with how the race turned out in the end. But it was solid strategic thinking from Hamilton that made all the difference in how the race was won by him.

journeyman racer
20th July 2019, 22:06
This is not evidence, we only have your word which is not proof.
I acknowledge this, and it's a little frustrating. Unfortunately, I can't call Rosberg to a witness box and question him.

Fwiw, paraphrasing the conversation.

Rosberg: And you turned the engine up?
Shovlin: Ah, yeah, we turned it up a little bit.

I watched Rosbergs podcast on youtube after the race and l don't remember him saying that. Besides, the team did not expect Hamilton to go for the Fastest lap on those tyres.
Unfortunately, the lack of benefit of doubt works both ways. Just because you said you watched Rosberg's YT podcast and don't remember him saying that, doesn't mean that you did or would acknowledge it if you had heard it.

The team did not expect Hamilton to go for the Fastest lap on those tyres? But Shovlin said in the video that Hamilton proved he could of set the fastest lap at Paul Ricard if they let him do it, so they let him go for it.

It's taken me a few days to be able to watch this race.
Damn right. Everyone, including those at Silverstone, should've been watching the cricket.

So I'm late to the game. But that major feat is what blew me away. How he do dat?!
:
With all due respect, Jag. Nigel Mansell set the FL of the 92 BGP on the second last lap. He did it having led all the way and leading by half a lap, And irrc he didn't pit. I'm not sure it's the big deal it's made out to be?

journeyman racer
20th July 2019, 22:15
I just watched the post race interview of the drivers. One of the questions asked by the journalists was about tyre strategy. Hamilton was asked if Mercedes planned to split their tyre strategy before the race, and Hamilton and Bottas answered that the original plan was for a two stop strategy using Medium Medium Hard tyres. This was considered the fastest strategy from the many simulations. Hamilton hinted that he took it upon himself to go for a one stop strategy to counter Bottas who had the first choice on stops etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4wbftiWrY

I think the team did not have much to do with how the race turned out in the end. But it was solid strategy thinking from Hamilton that made all the difference in how the race was won by him.
I totally acknowledge this and he should get the win because of it.

However if the intent of the team is to allow the drivers decide the title on the track, he's gone against the grain. It could be the case that defying calls to pit may backfire later on if Bottas and his engineer is onto it. There may be further stipulations of conduct during the following races.

It could be the case now that qualifying 2nd in the MB will become advantageous?

Jag_Warrior
21st July 2019, 07:07
Damn right. Everyone, including those at Silverstone, should've been watching the cricket.

I don't mind grasshoppers too much, but crickets sorta creep me out. :D

Actually, I was traveling on the day of the race. You'll seldom find me watching any stick & ball games.

With all due respect, Jag. Nigel Mansell set the FL of the 92 BGP on the second last lap. He did it having led all the way and leading by half a lap, And irrc he didn't pit. I'm not sure it's the big deal it's made out to be?

Well, if we have to go back 27 years for a comparison... ;)

Plus, the ongoing situation (mystery, if you will) with these Pirelli tires does make this something of a biggish deal.

airshifter
21st July 2019, 13:06

Plus, the ongoing situation (mystery, if you will) with these Pirelli tires does make this something of a biggish deal.

I think it was a blazing lap, but I also think it goes hand in hand with the below....

So , does that prove there is sand in the bags , or not ?

With the current tires, the drivers are often driving to the tire dictated delta times that fit the strategy. Since Lewis really didn't have to push the tires very hard once up front, the fast lap allowed him to just take out all the life that was left in them. A number of fast laps have been set this year towards race end on tires with laps on them, so it doesn't always take newer tires.

A great lap no matter how you look at it though!

Bagwan
21st July 2019, 13:28
Shifter , you can add in the fact that the track surface is as rubbered in as it could get by the end of the race , but there's no doubt it was an impressive lap on past their prime tires .

Just how much , though , do you have to turn it up to do that ?
Bottas was on softs .

airshifter
21st July 2019, 14:25
Shifter , you can add in the fact that the track surface is as rubbered in as it could get by the end of the race , but there's no doubt it was an impressive lap on past their prime tires .

Just how much , though , do you have to turn it up to do that ?
Bottas was on softs .

Hard to say how much they can turn up party mode for such things. I'd imagine they have engine mapping all the way from conservative save fuel and the engine modes, up to "this is the last laps of the last race this power unit has to do" modes, and everything in between.

Several drivers set their fastest laps on the hard tires towards race end. Since everyone lagged Mercedes fast laps it's hard to say how much the tires vs engine modes came into the picture. Bottas did a fast lap only 4 hundredths slower, but had 5 laps more fuel and a battery issue to offset his supposed better tires. But I'm fairly certain that most individual fastest laps were actually set on the medium and hard compounds, with only a couple cars going it on the softs.

Bagwan
21st July 2019, 18:37
Hard to say how much they can turn up party mode for such things. I'd imagine they have engine mapping all the way from conservative save fuel and the engine modes, up to "this is the last laps of the last race this power unit has to do" modes, and everything in between.

Several drivers set their fastest laps on the hard tires towards race end. Since everyone lagged Mercedes fast laps it's hard to say how much the tires vs engine modes came into the picture. Bottas did a fast lap only 4 hundredths slower, but had 5 laps more fuel and a battery issue to offset his supposed better tires. But I'm fairly certain that most individual fastest laps were actually set on the medium and hard compounds, with only a couple cars going it on the softs.

It's the "humiliate mode" that I think they showed here .

Duncan
22nd July 2019, 01:12
However if the intent of the team is to allow the drivers decide the title on the track, he's gone against the grain. It could be the case that defying calls to pit may backfire later on if Bottas and his engineer is onto it. There may be further stipulations of conduct during the following races.

It could be the case now that qualifying 2nd in the MB will become advantageous?

I can't see that it will ever be regarded as a negative mark for Hamilton and his race engineer to react to the circumstances and do whatever they judge to be optimum at the time. What was he supposed to do, slow down to make it more interesting? If they decided not pitting a few laps to the end was the right call, they're always going to do what they think will get the best result.

The Black Knight
22nd July 2019, 05:15
I can't see that it will ever be regarded as a negative mark for Hamilton and his race engineer to react to the circumstances and do whatever they judge to be optimum at the time. What was he supposed to do, slow down to make it more interesting? If they decided not pitting a few laps to the end was the right call, they're always going to do what they think will get the best result.

I saw an interview with Hamilton after the race where he said he was always going to do one stop and a second stop was never on the table for him. Basically, in the strategy meeting they had on the Sunday morning the information they had suggested Bottas strategy was the optimal one but, to spice up the show, they allowed Hamilton to try another strategy which could allow him to do a one stop which all the simulations said was much slower. Hamilton said it was at that point he knew he was going to be doing a one stop as he knew he could manage the tires to the end on one stop and stay ahead.

If you look at all the races to date, there is overwhelming evidence that Hamilton has vastly superior race pace and tire management to Bottas. Bottas, while lagging behind in head to head qualifying, has surprised me with his qualifying pace all the same but in the race he has had nowhere near the pace Hamilton has.

In Paul Ricard he ended up some 20 seconds down the road by the end of the race. In Silverstone, Hamilton went much quicker setting fastest lap immediately when Bottas pitted for fresh rubber. There are many other examples throughout the course of the season where he has been shown to have superior tire management. I’ve also heard that in Monaco he was actually relatively happy with his tires despite his infuriating radio messages. Apparently the real purpose behind the messages was to lure RBR into a false sense of security that an opportunity would come towards the end of the race, thus keeping Max from attacking him allowing him to nurse his tires even more throughout the race and extend their life. Lewis’s tire management appears to be, probably, the best in F1 right now.

But back to Silverstone, Hamilton’s decision to one stop was taken before the race in his head, and Mercedes rules of engagement that weekend allowed him to do that.

journeyman racer
22nd July 2019, 11:16
You heard no such thing. You've made it up. I have read this though.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11762784/lewis-hamilton-elated-after-making-british-gp-history-with-sixth-win

"He was on the inside but when we pulled out of the corner I couldn't really see where he was," said Hamilton.
"He was in my blind spot. He wasn't in my mirror but I couldn't see him next to me either, so I couldn't close the door just in case he was there.
"He drove sensationally well out of there so I was like 'ok, I'm going to back off, wait until he stops and then nail lap after lap'. I was going to do a few more laps I think but the Safety Car came out, and it was perfect timing."

journeyman racer
22nd July 2019, 11:30
No, not at all. Hamilton had the experience and nous to play the game best. Good luck to him.

The World Champion is going to be driving an MB. Everybody, including the MB team, know it's the best car. You can't counter all the unknown variables that occur during a race. Under the current circumstances though, MB seem to want to give both their drivers a fair opportunity to win the championship. Splitting strategies where one was particularly advantageous goes against what they'd adhered to so far this season.

Never mind what TBK says. They were two stopping Hamilton til the safety car came out. They've have stuck to a process this season with strategies this that let's the drivers decide it on the track. If more "deviations from the original plan" continues to occur in favour of Hamilton, the more likely it's to cause friction and even diminish Hamilton's achievements (If it gets leaked out to the press).

The Black Knight
22nd July 2019, 11:37
Not makng it up. It was also, iirc, mentioned on Sky’s FP1/2s during the Canadian GP that it was thought he was intentionally throwing the toys out of the pram to mislead the opposition. Feel free to have a listen to them. I had heard this before it was mentioned on Sky but I’m pretty sure you’ll find it there, don’t worry.

journeyman racer
22nd July 2019, 11:40
I don't mind grasshoppers too much, but crickets sorta creep me out. :D

Actually, I was traveling on the day of the race. You'll seldom find me watching any stick & ball games.
What???

Well, when you put it that way...:o

How about this for an example? 1979 Bathurst 1000. Peter Brock is driving the last lap to the race in the lead in his Holden Torana, and is leading by 6 laps. He set the fastest lap of the race in that last lap! 161 laps, not sure how long the stint was?

I recall a Frank Dernie interview on YT. Frank being a top engineering talent and great interviewer giving tremendous insight. fwiw, He has said that the two hardest factor to make work in racing cars is the aero and tyres.

Nitrodaze
25th July 2019, 07:28
Hamilton's ability to extract a fastest lap from a 30 lap old hard Pirelli tyres is sorcery and simply magical. When you take a closer look at the Haas cars which really should be a car that should be leading the midfield, it becomes clear that the key to the 2019 season is taming the 2019 thin treaded tyres which was designed to eliminate the cliff [sudden drop of grip] that was felt so dramatically last season. While the Haas chassis can deliver best of the rest type performances; especially at qualifying, its race pace suffers due to its inability to maintain a consistent temperature in its tyres during the race, hence falls out of the top ten most of the time.

One suggestion is that good downforce has something to do with taming the 2019 tyres. In that case Ferrari and Redbull should not be having tyres issues but they do. Another suggestion is that driving style has something to do with it. A driving style that loads the tyres gradually until the tyre reaches its optimum temperature would get more tyre life out of the thin treaded Pirelli tyres. Could that be the difference between Hamilton's driving to Bottas for instance? Or Leclerc to Vettel?

Obviously there are other factors such as track temperature, ambient temperatures, downforce levels and dynamic loading particularly through the corners etc. It is a very special art to bring the tyres to a wholesome temperature throughout the layers of the tyre carcass. And to also maintain the carcass temperature throughout the life of the tyre which is shorter for those that cannot achieve this feat. Hamilton demonstrated how to get the most out of the 2019 tyres superbly at Silverstone.

The Hamilton Fastest lap at Silverstone was simply one of the wonders of the 2019 season. It was simply a feat worthy of a master sorcerer; simply magical.

journeyman racer
25th July 2019, 13:34
It's the embellishment that gets me. Hard tyres are supposed to be good over a long distance.

If the tyres were good enough to set FL. Then that meant he could've gone quicker than he did prior to that lap, but didn't.

Big Ben
25th July 2019, 16:03
Everything about this hamilton dude is fierce and magical... how long till we find out those Mercedes are old Trabants and it was all his magical powers?

Nitrodaze
25th July 2019, 16:21
It's the embellishment that gets me. Hard tyres are supposed to be good over a long distance.

If the tyres were good enough to set FL. Then that meant he could've gone quicker than he did prior to that lap, but didn't.

Everything about this hamilton dude is fierce and magical... how long till we find out those Mercedes are old Trabants and it was all his magical powers?

It is shame you chaps cannot appreciate an excellent performance when you see one. Because l know you get it but struggle to accept it. Whatever the reason that is for your apprehension, it is really your problem. All true racing fans get it, shame you can't or would not let yourself appreciate it.

Bagwan
26th July 2019, 15:14
It is shame you chaps cannot appreciate an excellent performance when you see one. Because l know you get it but struggle to accept it. Whatever the reason that is for your apprehension, it is really your problem. All true racing fans get it, shame you can't or would not let yourself appreciate it.

I hope you can understand that using "magical" and "sorcery" in your description of his lap looks from the outside here , like your appreciation of it is a little over the top for some of us .
Ben pointed this out kinda clearly .

And , journeyman pointed out they had more speed than they were showing .

So , you needn't be so prickly about all this .
We're looking for reasons he was so fast , as there are fast drivers , but not magical ones .

Nitrodaze
26th July 2019, 15:59
I hope you can understand that using "magical" and "sorcery" in your description of his lap looks from the outside here , like your appreciation of it is a little over the top for some of us .
Ben pointed this out kinda clearly .

And , journeyman pointed out they had more speed than they were showing .

So , you needn't be so prickly about all this .
We're looking for reasons he was so fast , as there are fast drivers , but not magical ones .

Yep is was kinda over the top intentionally. Because the lap was fast but extraordinarily so with a 30 laps old tyre. But l get Ben's and your point, l shall bear that in mind in the future. But you must admit, it was a lap that shall talked about for years to come.

journeyman racer
28th July 2019, 11:29
No doubt it'll be talked about for years.

Thank **** for Bagwan.

Bagwan
28th July 2019, 16:11
No doubt it'll be talked about for years.

Thank **** for Bagwan.

****en thank you .

frogzop
5th August 2021, 12:43
I hope we get a repeat of the Max Factor this sunday. The Redbull seems faster than ever and Verstapenn is relishing the challenge. Roblox Guides (https://tomzpot.com/) get-mobdrovip.com (https://get-mobdrovip.com/)