PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it civilised in here

martinbalmer
13th December 2006, 12:36
I'm no moderator but having just read the BBC Sports Personality thread I felt like adding these comments.

I may not post in this area much but I do read it.

To be honest, it is very civilised in here but I find it tiresome that some threads seem to be littered with some members jumping on another's back and adding the odd insulting remark.

I don't want to appear as if I'm trying to be above everyone else and likewise, I think the moderators do a great job. I don't envy them at all as I wouldn't want to do it :p :

I'd just like to be able to read through a thread and not have it interrupted by comments such as "You're pretty clueless" followed by an obligatory come-back response.

If someone isn't seeing your opinion then that is life. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you've given yours then allow others to do the same. Likewise if someone seems a bit ill-informed, or hasn't got their facts straight, then I don't see how insulting them is going to help. Provide the real facts, by all means, but please be polite about it!

After all, what hope is there for world peace if some people can't even discuss touring cars without insulting one another :p :

If you feel that someone is attacking you personally then simply click the button to report the post. You don't need to respond back or defend yourself on the forum. Personal attacks are against the rules and will be dealt with accordinly when reported.

In fact, I say "don't need" when I really mean "shouldn't". There is nothing you can post in relation to "you're clueless", and suchlike, which will make the situation better. Just report it then leave it! :)

It shows good character if you can turn the other cheek and "ignore" insulting remarks by resisting the fight-back.

Of course, if someone posts to correct you and they are actually in the wrong then I don't doubt you'll want to point that out. By all means, but be polite! No insults!

Lastly, the subject of self-pity. Maybe I'm the only one who finds this annoying when it appears within threads. I don't want to read about how everyone hates you! It's a forum. People have different opinions. Accept it. As I'm sure they (or most) don't hate you. Move on to the next post, thread, whatever..

Brown, Jon Brow
13th December 2006, 13:56
I think that some people need to develop a sense of humour. :laugh:

martinbalmer
13th December 2006, 14:11
Well, I posted it with one particular member strongly in mind because it's getting a little repeative and boring now... :)

SEATFreak
13th December 2006, 14:42
It's OK Nitromaster. I know intimately the one you refer to, but it works both ways when talking about debates getting out of hand.

The person I know well counted 6 members against one point. Not one arguing against the intended meaning. But rather what the individual wanted it it mean.

What is best to avoid trouble? Insult and hope the one intended shows restraint or not make the insult in the first place?

Mark
13th December 2006, 14:48
And it's still boring now.

martinbalmer
13th December 2006, 15:10
It's OK Nitromaster. I know intimately the one you refer to, but it works both ways when talking about debates getting out of hand.

What is best to avoid trouble? Insult and hope the one intended shows restraint or not make the insult in the first place?

Let me summarise my post and make it as simple as possible.

It said, to everyone:

1) Don't insult people for any reason.

2) If you are insulted by someone, don't insult in return. Report the post and leave it.

Ps: I said "strongly in mind". I didn't say my post was only aimed at one person. :)

Anyway. I don't want to seem all patronising about it. And I'm not trying to stamp out disagreements and heated arguments, or have the whole forum talking like the railway children.

thompp
13th December 2006, 16:07
.....or have the whole forum talking like the railway children.

Father will be so cross with you

SEATFreak
13th December 2006, 16:16
Father will be so cross with you

Could be worse. Could have Bernard Cribbins as the local stationmaster being a complete prat or I could decide to wave my Y-Fronts at a passing train because there's a leaf on the line! :laugh:

tisme
13th December 2006, 19:58
If you feel that someone is attacking you personally then simply click the button to report the post. You don't need to respond back or defend yourself on the forum. Personal attacks are against the rules and will be dealt with accordinly when reported.

How do you do this?

I try not to post here anymore than i need to. I upset someone with something i was suppossed to have said. And i got a PM asking why i hated him and if I say the wrong things to certain people on the forum i would get chucked off!

So i dont post much now!

MattL
13th December 2006, 20:30
I go away for a few days and it's chaos when I get back! :p :

A few people need to just 'chill out' a bit. We all enjoy posting here most of the time. We all get along most of the time.

Please, take a moment to think before you post. If what you're going to say is not going to add anything worthwhile to the discussion, then don't post it.

Ian McC
13th December 2006, 21:31
It is pretty calm in here, certainly compared to the F1 forum :eek:

Rusty
14th December 2006, 14:25
And it's still boring now.

LMFAO.....

Captain VXR
14th December 2006, 18:14
I want some fool to sign up and get himself banned :crazy: . That would be funny