PDA

View Full Version : Night stages

Roy
9th May 2007, 08:35
Wales GB has maybe some night stages. The idea is still subject to approval by the FIA.

Some drivers do'nt like these stages, but a lot of fans do.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~4~id~147671.htm

AndyRAC
9th May 2007, 09:24
A step in the right direction, although the route is pretty much the same as before, boring. What about remote servicing and/or Hafren, etc??? Promises, promises,...

turves
9th May 2007, 13:14
I think one of the night stages will be Walters Arena. Thinking back to Hafren/Sweetlamb where the atmosphere was fantastic.

GigiGalliNo1
9th May 2007, 14:14
yes to night stages... i was soo annoyed at what i saw in monte with the night stages and the glare of lights and burning disc brakes!!! :(

cosmicpanda
10th May 2007, 13:22
yes to night stages... i was soo annoyed at what i saw in monte with the night stages and the glare of lights and burning disc brakes!!! :(

Is that a statement in support of night stages or against them? You have me confused. :p :

J4MIE
10th May 2007, 21:44
Personally I don't like night stages - I prefer to see the cars.

Tomi
10th May 2007, 21:52
Personally I don't like night stages - I prefer to see the cars.

Same here, never really understood what is so exciting with nightstages, you hear the sound and see the light that's it.

cut the b.s.
10th May 2007, 22:14
Same here, never really understood what is so exciting with nightstages, you hear the sound and see the light that's it.

If you ever had the privilege of watching the RAC rally through the sweet lamb bowl at night, incredible atmosphere, more than any daylight stage could ever give. But for many stages I'd agree, darkness can just mean getting dazzled by headlights for a bit before stumbling back to you car

pino
10th May 2007, 22:24

If you (and J4MIE) ever had the privilege of been on Turini and hear Munari's legendary Lancia Fulvia HF singing on those hairpins...you would change your mind ! ;) :s mokin:

Tomi
10th May 2007, 22:30
If you (and J4MIE) ever had the privilege of been on Turini and hear Munari's legendary Lancia Fulvia HF singing on those hairpins...you would change your mind ! ;) :s mokin:

i think i have seen a few nightstages in the real rally too ;) , still think the same.

koko0703
10th May 2007, 22:42
I like a rally car with all the light pods, and being on the side of road watching car going at full speed in pitch dark must be awsome exeprience. However it is quite boring on TV screen....

DonJippo
10th May 2007, 23:03

Are you saying you can't hear that singing in daylight :confused: Maybe it's an Italian thing.... :p

A.F.F.
10th May 2007, 23:22
I was young when I last witnessed night stages in Jyväskylä. It was fun, sort of a small extra in spectating. But one stage was enough ;)

GigiGalliNo1
11th May 2007, 04:03
Is that a statement in support of night stages or against them? You have me confused. :p :

Sorry lol i'm with Night time stages! saying how much i loved seeing the burning brakes and glares :D bring them back! (well they kinda have...)

pino
11th May 2007, 08:28
Are you saying you can't hear that singing in daylight :confused: Maybe it's an Italian thing.... :p

Sure you can hear the engine sound in daylight but isn't the same really. In the night you only hear the engine and you hear it from a longer distance, and louder and louder as the car is getting closer and closer...capisc ? :D

Why I am wasting my time with you Finns, what you guys know about rallying :p : ;)

sal
11th May 2007, 13:03
Ecclestone wants an F1 night race, and where F1 leads WRC seems to follow...

Tomi
11th May 2007, 13:46
Why I am wasting my time with you Finns, what you guys know about rallying :p : ;)
Right paisa, every Finn knows rally is about, water spalshes, handbrake turns, night stages, standing on cars, dancing, not to forget dougnuts. :) almost forgot the most important, interesting drivers who can not drive a rallycar.

TMorel
11th May 2007, 16:21
Ahhhh happy memories of the night time stages on The Lombard.
*sniff*
am getting all nostalgic now

Thumbs up from me :)
hey - maybe they could just switch the lights off in the stadium! that'd have the same effect ;)

grugsticles
11th May 2007, 17:34
Ill put my vote for night stages in too - go go go!!!

I think half the reason that the Superspecial stage at Langly park was so popular when it was first introduced was because it was held at night.
The lights on the cars, the glow of the brakes and the exploding fuel out the exhaust gets the attention of fans.

From the footage of De Col De Turini (spelling?) stage, the night shots of the the cars going over the top of the Col are just spectacular!

WRCfan
12th May 2007, 03:03
I have heard of people talking about being out in the woods at night to see Mikkola and Vatanen come through, the sound, the atmosphere, and smell and showering of gravel made for a wonderful experience, i have seen some night stages as well before they elminated them fully, was a great experience!!!

Real rally drivers should be able to drive in the dark as well as the daylight. Adds another dimension to what can be a win and a loss...

Caroline
12th May 2007, 03:15
Thinking back to Hafren/Sweetlamb where the atmosphere was fantastic.

Have to agree. Hafren was fantastic. A night stage can be really exciting, the atmosphere can seem electric.

ShiftingGears
12th May 2007, 03:39
Yes! More night stages!

malscar
12th May 2007, 04:58
Same as Pino, though it is the sound of a BDA working through a stage with the sound echoing off the trees. Bring it on.

L5->R5/CR
12th May 2007, 17:16
http://www.onalimbracing.com/gallery/2004_susquehannock_trail_rally/images/IMG_3590.jpg

If that doesn't get your heart pumping go to the F1 forum....

I love night stages as a spectator and a photographer. As for them not being good on TV, thats only because the TV guys cop out and don't take the time and money to make it work. I can't remember when or where but I saw from heli footage of a rally car on stage at night. It got me so jacked and excited and just in awe..... Night stages can be incredible. The challenge, the lights, the sounds, the smells. The darkness highlights an entire different set of sensory experiences that you can't enjoy durring the day in the same manner. I'm not for all night time rallies (not against them either, but I don't think it would be good for the WRC), but I certainly do support some night stages on most if not all events!

cut the b.s.
12th May 2007, 17:28
http://www.onalimbracing.com/gallery/2004_susquehannock_trail_rally/images/IMG_3590.jpg

If that doesn't get your heart pumping go to the F1 forum....

I love night stages as a spectator and a photographer. As for them not being good on TV, thats only because the TV guys cop out and don't take the time and money to make it work. I can't remember when or where but I saw from heli footage of a rally car on stage at night. It got me so jacked and excited and just in awe..... Night stages can be incredible. The challenge, the lights, the sounds, the smells. The darkness highlights an entire different set of sensory experiences that you can't enjoy durring the day in the same manner. I'm not for all night time rallies (not against them either, but I don't think it would be good for the WRC), but I certainly do support some night stages on most if not all events!

great post, great photo(what car was that;-) ) tbh I think the only people against some night stages in WRC events just havent had the fortune to have experienced them, totally different experience to daylight stages, bring them back please

Mise
12th May 2007, 20:18
I have heard of people talking about being out in the woods at night to see Mikkola and Vatanen come through, the sound, the atmosphere, and smell and showering of gravel made for a wonderful experience, i have seen some night stages as well before they elminated them fully, was a great experience!!!

Real rally drivers should be able to drive in the dark as well as the daylight. Adds another dimension to what can be a win and a loss...

I saw(heard) Mikkolas Audi (his lights) In Thousand Lakes Rally back in 1983.
Me & my father walked 5 kilometers to the woods, watched the cars go by, then walked back to our car and noticed that the place we left was the best place to see something. Can't remember anything about the sounds exept that it was very loud.

L5->R5/CR
12th May 2007, 21:13
great post, great photo(what car was that;-) ) tbh I think the only people against some night stages in WRC events just havent had the fortune to have experienced them, totally different experience to daylight stages, bring them back please

The shot isn't mine. It was by a colleague of mine though.

It was of a US spec Hyundai Tiburon 4wd. Esentially a Hyundai Tiburon shell with Evolution mechanicals.

There are a couple other gems of night shots on one of our local US forums.

MJW
12th May 2007, 21:57
I think that night stages certainly bring something special to a rally - I have many a happy memory of night stages - it doesn't look good on tv but for a real experience it is great. I do definately detect a sense that the true rally fans have had more than enough of the clover leaf, single service par, daytime sprints. It must be time to revert to real rallying.

DonJippo
12th May 2007, 23:50
- I have many a happy memory of night stages -

Me too :D

raybak
13th May 2007, 00:11
Night stages are great, sorts out who the real drivers are and who has the best notes.

Bring on some WRC night stages and long ones too over 30km

We do half our rallying at night here in Australia at State and club level.

Ray

J4MIE
13th May 2007, 02:59

I have been to more night stages than I care to remember....

pino
13th May 2007, 07:29
I have been to more night stages than I care to remember....

Now I understand why you don't like them :p :

meverkko
15th May 2007, 09:46
What´s the big deal about this? If there will be night stages too, you don´t have to go watch them if you don´t want to. There will still be daylight stages too.

So why not?

I can still remember standing in Vaheri stage (yes, Neste Rally Stage) near the boat harbor in the middle of a field. Temperature -25 degrees and full moon with no clouds. Anyone who has been there, remember that the field is about 1km so you can see the car and lights a long time. The rally was not Neste Rally (of course, it usually is a little warmer in august), it was a Historic Rally in 2004. Oh I can remember how different the roar of a Porsche sounds like in dark... Yes, it does sound different. I guess it makes me half Italian...

J4MIE
15th May 2007, 22:19
What´s the big deal about this? If there will be night stages too, you don´t have to go watch them if you don´t want to. There will still be daylight stages too.

I would prefer to be about 10,000 miles away...... :D

jso1985
16th May 2007, 01:16
Even if the only 2 night stages I saw were on a local rally were the fastest car was a SEAT Ibiza kit car, they're surely something different, dayligh stages must stay of course but 1 or 2 night would be great

jparker
16th May 2007, 01:38
I have to agree that night stages provide very little in terms of rally action, but IMO rallying is not all about cars and racing. Night stages are something unique, they combine the passion for rallying with the pleasure of being in the wild during the night. I guess it all comes to personal preference.
Here in Canada night stages are even more special. I don't know how populated northern Finland is, but in Canada 200 km north and you end up in complete wilderness. We use to have an event called "Rally of Voyagers" that I miss so much. It had few night stages and many times I had the chance to meet hunters and we had great time during the night. Well, it's all gone now :(