PDA

View Full Version : The thread of talents

Entertainer
11th January 2019, 11:42
Know of any youngsters on the verge of breaking through?
Local drivers with potential that you want others to know about?
Which talents do we believe have what it takes to advance on the international scale?

Post your leads on your local drivers - the ones that deserve more acknowledge, the exceptional ones, the late bloomers etc. Include the driver's plan for 2019 if available.

UPDATED: DRIVER LIST
Some of the young drivers to keep an eye on 2019:
(list sorted by proximity to WRC - WRC2 - ERC - JWRC - JERC - National Championship Classes)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kalle Rovanperä,born 2000 (FIN) - 2019: WRC2Pro + ? rounds WRC
Gus Greensmith, 1996 (ENG) - 2019: WRC2 + min 1 round WRC
Nikolay Gryazin, 1997 (RUS) - reigning ERCU28-champ - 2019: WRC2 + ERC1J
Eerik Pietarinen, 1993 (FIN) - reigning Finnish R5-champion - 2019: WRC2
Emil Bergkvist, 1994 (SWE) - reigning JWRC-champion - 2019: WRC2
Ken Torn, 1993 (EST) - 2019: JWRC
Martin Sesks, 1999 (LAT) - reigning ERCU27-champion - 2019: JWRC + ERC1J
Tom Kristensson, 1991 (SWE) - reigning ERCU27-runner up - 2019: JWRC
Dennis Rådström, 1995 (SWE) - reigning JWRC-runner up - 2019: JWRC
Jan Solans, 1997 (SPA) - 2019: JWRC
Oliver Solberg, 2001 (NOR) - 2019: R5 selected rounds in Latvia + maybe WRC2
Emil Lindholm, 1996 (FIN) - 2019: R5 in Finnish Championship + Rally Sweden&Finland WRC2
Henrik Pietarinen, ???? (FIN) - 2019: First R5 season in Finnish Championship
Julian Wagner, 1995 (AUT) - 2019: AuT R5 championship
Petr Semerád, 2001 (CZE)
Erik Cais, 2001 (CZE)
Mats van den Brand, 1991 (HOL)
Chris Ingram, 1994 (ENG)
Steve Rökland, 1992 (NOR)
Adrian Fourmeaux, 1995 (FRA) - 2018 French Junior Champion - 2019: WRC2
Jean-Baptiste Francesci, 1996 (FRA)
Ralfs Sirmacis, 1994 (LAT)

N.O.T
11th January 2019, 11:50
you first sunshine...

Entertainer
11th January 2019, 11:51
I'll start off with

Tom Kristensson, runner-up in the JERC after Martins Sesks, and gathering sponsorship for full J-WRC-season this year. Strong challenger for the JWRC-goldmedal if he gets funding for full season. Ran 2nd in RC4-cat Rally Deutschland 2018, close to strong JWRC contender Jean-Baptiste Francesci before retirement halfway in to the rally.
Definetely one to check out in 2019!

N.O.T
11th January 2019, 11:55
ok now its time for the sad finnish folks to list 100 names of finish nobodies that they will dominate the sport for the next 100 years...

rp
11th January 2019, 11:58
ok now its time for the sad finnish folks to list 100 names of finish nobodies that they will dominate the sport for the next 100 years...

Might be more than 100 names! :)

Entertainer
11th January 2019, 11:58
How about some french talents? Who will take up the legacy of Ogier and Loeb when they quit? Francesci can't be the only talent?

Entertainer
11th January 2019, 11:59
Might be more than 100 names! :)

Haha ;)
I expect at least ten.

rp
11th January 2019, 12:04
Eerik Pietarinen
Henrik Pietarinen
Emil Lindholm
Kristian Kiviniemi
Henri Hokkala
Lauri Joona
Aleksi Röyhkiö
Roni Kauppi
Juho Koski-Lammi
Sami Pajari

Now there is already ten :)

Mirek
11th January 2019, 14:01
The biggest talents in Czech Republic, who have a real chance to get in the international scene, are currently these two:

Petr Semerád (17 years old) - younger brother of Martin Semerád (You might remember his as the youngest winner of PWRC event and a Pirelli Star driver); winner of Czech Rallysprint Series 2018 (not allowed to drive in the main championship yet), nearly two seasons in rallying but on limited scale due to his age, will likely appear on international scene with R2 car (ERC 3 junior perhaps).

Erik Cais (18 years old) - nearly won ERC Barum rally in 2WD and that result somewhat reflected the whole season, he was fast but rarely finished without some mistake or issue, at the end of season he drove Lausitz rally in Germany on gravel and won 2WD by 4 minutes or so, one season in rallying.

Both of them have some reasonable backing behind them. Some other guys may be interesting to follow such as Dominik Stříteský (19 years old) or Tomáš Uher (21 years old) but it will be difficult to get on the international level.

deephouse
11th January 2019, 14:02
I can think of one. Kalle...

Rallyper
11th January 2019, 14:27
Oliver...?

Entertainer
11th January 2019, 15:43
Oliver...?

To me, both Oliver and Kalle are ”wellknown” talents, already known sort of wonderkids, especially Kalle.

The purpose of this thread was to highlight the lesser known guys, (doesn’t have to be superyoung) who still has potential to go big.

The finn, Pietariinen, who won Finland WRC2 is a great example. Totally unknown to me before his great performance in Finland👍

denkimi
11th January 2019, 15:47
the dutch van den brand.
https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/24757-mats-van-den-brand/

he's already too old and i don't know i he has any ambition of getting any higher, but seeing him driving reminds me of the very best like the young neuville.

Got Mail
11th January 2019, 18:32
Other than Kalle, Nikolay Gryazin has to be the 'youngster' with the best potential on the World stage as far as I can see.

Well funded with sensational speed and gaining great experience on all surfaces.

Whinlatter
11th January 2019, 18:34
I don’t think there’s anyone in the UK who has as much talent as Chris Ingram. There’s some good drivers coming out of the Juniors, but I’d be surprised if any of them made an impact beyond these shores.

In Ireland the most promising driver is probably Rob Duggan, who doesn’t have the funding to progress.

Got Mail
11th January 2019, 18:56
I don’t think there’s anyone in the UK who has as much talent as Chris Ingram. There’s some good drivers coming out of the Juniors, but I’d be surprised if any of them made an impact beyond these shores.

In Ireland the most promising driver is probably Rob Duggan, who doesn’t have the funding to progress.

Pretty accurate I should think.

Neil Shanks
11th January 2019, 19:36
Don’t think Osian Pryce would be too far away if he can get an R5 programme

AnttiL
11th January 2019, 19:44
Eerik Pietarinen
Henrik Pietarinen
Emil Lindholm
Kristian Kiviniemi
Henri Hokkala
Lauri Joona
Aleksi Röyhkiö
Roni Kauppi
Juho Koski-Lammi
Sami Pajari

Now there is already ten :)

That's all? :P

Seriously, Eerik is the one I would name here. He was outright unbeatable in Finland once he stepped in an R5. But his pace on other surfaces than fast gravel or snow are yet to be seen (save for an outing at an Italian event). He has a lot to learn.

Henrik is Eerik's brother and is now stepping up to R5 for this season. I don't know much about him but if Eerik talks little in interviews, Henrik talks even less.

Emil Lindholm is Sebastian Lindholm's son. He seems to be promising, but hasn't been able to match Kalle or Eerik in the races they have done together. Emil is also quite prone to crashes. He also once explained his driving style as "going fast to corners, braking late and throwing the car sideways". Sorry, but that's not the style that wins championships, although it gains you popularity within spectators.

deephouse
11th January 2019, 20:00
What about some female talents. Are there any at all? I can only think of Louise Cook, Molly Tylor, Emma Falcon, Tamara Molinaro...

Mirek
11th January 2019, 20:22
I don't like seeing Molly Taylor written next to Louise Cook. The two are lightyears away from each other in terms of speed.

SubaruNorway
11th January 2019, 20:36
Emil is also quite prone to crashes. He also once explained his driving style as "going fast to corners, braking late and throwing the car sideways". Sorry, but that's not the style that wins championships, although it gains you popularity within spectators.

Sounds like a correct description and it definitely doesn't work when there's a small jump in the middle of the corner!
https://youtu.be/H8XC-eaWp0g?t=35

Allez Andruet
11th January 2019, 21:24
Seriously, Eerik is the one I would name here. He was outright unbeatable in Finland once he stepped in an R5. But his pace on other surfaces than fast gravel or snow are yet to be seen (save for an outing at an Italian event). He has a lot to learn.

Henrik is Eerik's brother and is now stepping up to R5 for this season. I don't know much about him but if Eerik talks little in interviews, Henrik talks even less.

Emil Lindholm is Sebastian Lindholm's son. He seems to be promising, but hasn't been able to match Kalle or Eerik in the races they have done together. Emil is also quite prone to crashes. He also once explained his driving style as "going fast to corners, braking late and throwing the car sideways". Sorry, but that's not the style that wins championships, although it gains you popularity within spectators.

Word, word and word.

skarderud
11th January 2019, 21:56
Steve Røkland, Norway, fastest 2wd driver, won BRC, dreams about JWRC but don't have the fundings. Really don't understand why some of the sponsors and managment in Norway don't help him.

Sindre Furuseth also has some potential, really bad season in ERC last year with an unreable Adam R2, try to rent a fiesta in JWRC in 19.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Got Mail
11th January 2019, 22:54
That's all? :P

Eerik and Lindholm were both beaten by Gryazin in September last year on the Finnish SM Teijo Talot-ralli. So not quite ' outright unbeatable'.

PLuto
11th January 2019, 22:57
And dont forget that one thing is to be fast "at home" and quite different is to be fast also abroad.

AnttiL
12th January 2019, 06:17
Eerik and Lindholm were both beaten by Gryazin in September last year on the Finnish SM Teijo Talot-ralli. So not quite ' outright unbeatable'.

My point was that in the very first rally he did with that car, he won all the stages, beating the previous champions right away. In that last event you mention, Eerik was already confirmed champion so he probably took it easier. But yeah, I would name Gryazin also for this thread, a fast, talented young guy.

But his pace on other surfaces than fast gravel or snow are yet to be seen (save for an outing at an Italian event). He has a lot to learn.

And dont forget that one thing is to be fast "at home" and quite different is to be fast also abroad.

I think I didn't :)

dupanton
12th January 2019, 10:22
From France: Adrian Fourmeaux. French Junior Champion. Very little experience but I saw him drive twice and he looked very impressive. Dominated the season in France. Debuted in an R5 car in Rallye du Var and was straight away on the pace for the podium. But he crashed in the end.
He will do WRC2 next year with experienced codriver Renaud Jamoul. Someone to look out for.

From UK: In Ypres I saw a few talented drivers, who could compete with the local drivers in R2: Callum Devine in 2017 and James Williams in 2018. Callum Devine did some JWRC rallies last year but didn't impress there.

PLuto
12th January 2019, 12:08
From UK: In Ypres I saw a few talented drivers, who could compete with the local drivers in R2: Callum Devine in 2017 and James Williams in 2018. Callum Devine did some JWRC rallies last year but didn't impress there.

Great example of young talented drivers, who were stepping up directly to JWRC and were not ready for it...

Jarek Z
12th January 2019, 17:09
I don’t think there’s anyone in the UK who has as much talent as Chris Ingram.

How about Gus Greensmith? Only 22 years old and already 4th in WRC2:
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/results/championship/drivers/page/537-256---.html

He seems to be fast and consistent, at least in an R5 car, and has much experience despite young age.
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/drivers/drivers/driver/gus-greensmith/page/895-273-895--.html?h=2018/drivers/6157

dodge33cymru
12th January 2019, 17:25
How about Gus Greensmith? Only 22 years old and already 4th in WRC2:
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/results/championship/drivers/page/537-256---.html

He seems to be fast and consistent, at least in an R5 car, and has much experience despite young age.
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/drivers/drivers/driver/gus-greensmith/page/895-273-895--.html?h=2018/drivers/6157

We'll find out this year, he's doing a nearly full WRC2 campaign with a WRC round in Portugal.

In addition, Brits like Jon Armstrong, Osian Pryce and Chris Ingram are all very quick (and Rob Duggan from Ireland), but there's very little backing around to support them stepping up. That said, it's fair to argue that none of them have shown the same promise that Evans did previously.

PLuto
12th January 2019, 19:35
We'll find out this year, he's doing a nearly full WRC2 campaign with a WRC round in Portugal.

In addition, Brits like Rob Duggan, Jon Armstrong, Osian Pryce and Chris Ingram are all very quick, but there's very little backing around to support them stepping up. That said, it's fair to argue that none of them have shown the same promise that Evans did previously.

But Evans never shown some special promises, all named drivers are bigge talents. I also dont believe so much in Gus, he has some talent and huge backing behind him, he is able to make some nice stage times, but he has problem to finish rallies without problems, he is not strong for fight for title (ok, if they will fight only with Pieniazek, he has a chance) :)

steve.mandzij
12th January 2019, 20:22
But Evans never shown some special promises, all named drivers are bigge talents. I also dont believe so much in Gus, he has some talent and huge backing behind him, he is able to make some nice stage times, but he has problem to finish rallies without problems, he is not strong for fight for title (ok, if they will fight only with Pieniazek, he has a chance) :)To be fair though, Greensmith might surprise like Suninen did. The Finn wasn't the most stellar R5 driver but he's shown good speed at times in WRC.

AnttiL
12th January 2019, 20:23
To be fair though, Greensmith might surprise like Suninen did. The Finn wasn't the most stellar R5 driver but he's shown good speed at times in WRC.

At least Suninen won a number of WRC2 rallies before stepping up to the main level.

Whinlatter
12th January 2019, 20:26
Greensmith is a hard one to judge - he started in an R1 Fiesta doing BRC and did not look quick at all, but he was neat and tidy and obviously learns quickly, because each time he steps up to a new championship or a faster car, he looks competitive.

I’m not for a minute suggesting he’s as good as Richard Burns, but the way he goes about progressing feels similar - unspectacular but quietly impressive. Will watch his progress with interest this year.

tommeke_B
12th January 2019, 20:27
To be fair though, Greensmith might surprise like Suninen did. The Finn wasn't the most stellar R5 driver but he's shown good speed at times in WRC.

Ehhh what??? Suninen has won in WRC2 4 times and was often quicker than Lappi...

steve.mandzij
12th January 2019, 20:29
Ehhh what??? Suninen has won in WRC2 4 times and was often quicker than Lappi...Of course, he was quick, but he didn't spark the same "future champion" idea in me as maybe Lappi did.

deephouse
13th January 2019, 08:19
Greensmith is a hard one to judge - he started in an R1 Fiesta doing BRC and did not look quick at all, but he was neat and tidy and obviously learns quickly, because each time he steps up to a new championship or a faster car, he looks competitive.

I’m not for a minute suggesting he’s as good as Richard Burns, but the way he goes about progressing feels similar - unspectacular but quietly impressive. Will watch his progress with interest this year.

He is also just 22. So he has a lot of years infront of him. WRC2 Pro with M-Sport could be his ticket to the top.

wia5958
13th January 2019, 08:31

In addition, Brits like Rob Duggan, Jon Armstrong, Osian Pryce and Chris Ingram are all very quick, but there's very little backing around to support them stepping up. That said, it's fair to argue that none of them have shown the same promise that Evans did previously.

since when was rob duggan a brit?

dodge33cymru
13th January 2019, 09:36
since when was rob duggan a brit?

Sorry, completely my bad - for some reason thought he was from Northern Ireland. Edited.

But Evans never shown some special promises, all named drivers are bigge talents.

I think that's harsh, Evans was very strong in an R2 and has always been the top Ford when in an R5. I sort of hoped he'd be in the new R5 later this year, but will be interesting to see how he copes with being expected team leader in WRC instead. Last chance saloon at the top level.

I agree with you on Greensmith, but he's really young. Another year or two in an R5 would probably be best for him and fingers crossed he can step up in WRC2 again this year. I doubt the WRC round will be the best investment though. Would love to see him try an ERC round or something outside the WRC calendar, but he seems very focused.

Jarek Z
13th January 2019, 17:33
He is also just 22. So he has a lot of years infront of him. WRC2 Pro with M-Sport could be his ticket to the top.

I don't know who Greensmith is, where he comes from, who supports him, etc. All I know about him is his stages times and his position in WRC2 standings. Judging by those two factors he has much bigger potential than all those drivers who spend years in WRC2 like Veiby, Loubet, Tempestini or Brynildsen. Good luck to him!

Jarek Z
13th January 2019, 21:08
Speaking of talents... How about Martins Sesks from Latvia, who became 2018 Junior European Rally Champion at the age of 19? Here is a new short movie "Champion at Nineteen" that shows his career:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_pDfS06J8M

sindroms
14th January 2019, 10:06
Speaking of talents... How about Martins Sesks from Latvia, who became 2018 Junior European Rally Champion at the age of 19? Here is a new short movie "Champion at Nineteen" that shows his career:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_pDfS06J8M

I was going write his name here right from the moment when the thread started :)
Yes he is a one definitely. He has excellent base of basic skills for rallying of which the main is driving exclusively by pacenotes. It helps to adapt to new tracks very quickly, look at his results in ERC 2018 - https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/74231-martins-sesks/ Azores, Islas Canaria, Roma, Barum - all were terra incognita for him. And most important - he managed set a good pace on tarmac surface right from the first start! For illustration about his pacenotes skills, take a look at "Rally Alūksne 2018" results in SS1/2. Those were night stages where he took 6th an 4th place overall - http://lrc.lv/?s=2018&r=160&m=4&l=2 Beside it he has head on his shoulder and use it in very well maner so far.

Entertainer
14th January 2019, 11:33
I was going write his name here right from the moment when the thread started :)
Yes he is a one definitely. He has excellent base of basic skills for rallying of which the main is driving exclusively by pacenotes. It helps to adapt to new tracks very quickly, look at his results in ERC 2018 - https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/74231-martins-sesks/ Azores, Islas Canaria, Roma, Barum - all were terra incognita for him. And most important - he managed set a good pace on tarmac surface right from the first start! For illustration about his pacenotes skills, take a look at "Rally Alūksne 2018" results in SS1/2. Those were night stages where he took 6th an 4th place overall - http://lrc.lv/?s=2018&r=160&m=4&l=2 Beside it he has head on his shoulder and use it in very well maner so far.

Very good description, I believe the two frontrunners from J-ERC, Sesks and Kristensson, could be really good contenders in the JWRC-championship 2019. A slight "lead" of course for Sesks who has been very impressive 2018

Entertainer
14th January 2019, 11:50
A first draft of "the list of talents 2019" is in updated first post in the thread :)
Keep posting!

How about talents outside of the EU? Takamoto Katsuta could perhaps have a break-out year, showed some promise in Sweden last year with the WRC2-win.

dodge33cymru
14th January 2019, 11:55
A first draft of "the list of talents 2019" is in updated first post in the thread :)
Keep posting!

How about talents outside of the EU? Takamoto Katsuta could perhaps have a break-out year, showed some promise in Sweden last year with the WRC2-win.

It was hard to judge on Sweden, due to the Pirellis clearly being a massive help, but he did hold his nerve with a lot of pressure on him. Would be great to see him progress, with all of TMR's resources behind him this year and Dan Barritt as co-driver.

AnttiL
14th January 2019, 11:57

A good addition would be to mention where they will drive this year. For example Eerik Pietarinen and Gryazin will do WRC2.

Entertainer
14th January 2019, 12:01
A good addition would be to mention where they will drive this year. For example Eerik Pietarinen and Gryazin will do WRC2.

Good idea - will update to my best knowledge

dodge33cymru
14th January 2019, 12:04
Two that I saw last year who impressed in the few passes of theirs I saw roadside:

Jan Solans (younger brother of Nils, who himself was hanging with the works R5 Skodas in Spain) - dominated Spanish RC4 last year.

Jean-Baptiste Franceschi looked superb in GB and Spain in RC4 too, but hasn't been particularly dominant. No idea on his plans for this year; JWRC or French Champs in an R5, but hope to see him out and about somewhere.

AnttiL
14th January 2019, 12:18
Good idea - will update to my best knowledge

Henrik Pietarinen 2019: First R5 season in Finnish Championship
Emil Lindholm 2019: R5 in Finnish Championship + Rally Sweden&Finland WRC2

Maybe it would be a good idea to sort the drivers by the proximity of main league (Greensmith with WRC drive first, then WRC2, ERC, JWRC, national championships)

Entertainer
14th January 2019, 14:53
Henrik Pietarinen 2019: First R5 season in Finnish Championship
Emil Lindholm 2019: R5 in Finnish Championship + Rally Sweden&Finland WRC2

Maybe it would be a good idea to sort the drivers by the proximity of main league (Greensmith with WRC drive first, then WRC2, ERC, JWRC, national championships)

Another good idea. Will do.

Mirek
14th January 2019, 16:36

In a few weeks Katsuta is 26 years old. For me when I speak about young talents I means someone much younger and less experienced.

kure91
14th January 2019, 19:01
When I´m reading this list of talents I would personaly add Julian Wagner (soon to be 23 YO). Last year in CZ frontrunner of 2WD and not so long ago he won Jaenner. This year he will do whole Austrian championship with Fabia R5 from BRR

Duvel
14th January 2019, 19:07
Two that I saw last year who impressed in the few passes of theirs I saw roadside:

Jan Solans (younger brother of Nils, who himself was hanging with the works R5 Skodas in Spain) - dominated Spanish RC4 last year.

Jean-Baptiste Franceschi looked superb in GB and Spain in RC4 too, but hasn't been particularly dominant. No idea on his plans for this year; JWRC or French Champs in an R5, but hope to see him out and about somewhere.

What wil the program of Nils Solans be? He looked very promosing aswel.

Jarek Z
14th January 2019, 21:43
Should we add Ralfs Sirmacis from Latvia to this list? He was very impressive in ERC a few years ago, including some overall wins...

sindroms
15th January 2019, 08:54
Should we add Ralfs Sirmacis from Latvia to this list? He was very impressive in ERC a few years ago, including some overall wins...

He could be on this list regarding his skills and previous results. Tough I don't see at the moment any indications about his returning on international arena unfortunately.

Entertainer
15th January 2019, 09:16
In a few weeks Katsuta is 26 years old. For me when I speak about young talents I means someone much younger and less experienced.

Sounds reasonable, guess we should draw the line somewhere when it comes to age. 23-25 could be considered a maximum of some sort, to earn a place on the list.

Entertainer
15th January 2019, 09:26
Talent list in threadpost #1 will continue to be updated through the season, as much as I am capable. Keep up with the additions and updates on "your" drivers.

m-ast
15th January 2019, 11:32

He is trying to do WRC2

dodge33cymru
15th January 2019, 11:37

He was strong in Spain, but less so on other rounds (although improved over the year). He's not exactly particularly young either though; 26 going on 27. Would probably have more impact in ERC in my opinion.

I wouldn't say so, he's not been active for the last couple of years so I suspect he's got no backing (and what there was may be with Gryazin or Sesks now).

PLuto
15th January 2019, 12:06
He was strong in Spain, but less so on other rounds (although improved over the year). He's not exactly particularly young either though; 26 going on 27. Would probably have more impact in ERC in my opinion.

I agree, he was going to WRC too quickly. And now they are making same mistake with younger brother. I think that one season in ERC before going to JWRC should help him a lot.

I wouldn't say so, he's not been active for the last couple of years so I suspect he's got no backing (and what there was may be with Gryazin or Sesks now).

Last year he was trying to secure budget for JWRC, but he was not successful. I hope he will be more successful for this season.

Entertainer
15th January 2019, 12:41
I agree, he was going to WRC too quickly. And now they are making same mistake with younger brother. I think that one season in ERC before going to JWRC should help him a lot.

Last year he was trying to secure budget for JWRC, but he was not successful. I hope he will be more successful for this season.

I will keep Ralfs in the list for now, on old merits. ;) Hopefully he gets some funding/opportunities

dodge33cymru
15th January 2019, 20:59
Emil Bergkvist may be too old for this thread (24>25), but always rated him since his Opel days in ERC. Won JWRC last year and is doing WRC2 this year.

Entertainer
15th January 2019, 22:13
Emil Bergkvist may be too old for this thread (24>25), but always rated him since his Opel days in ERC. Won JWRC last year and is doing WRC2 this year.

Been planning on adding him when his season plans emerged and... voila.

Entertainer
16th January 2019, 21:01
Driver list in post #1 updated
- sorted
- age added
- looks nicer :)

Essaj
16th January 2019, 21:05
I think its only fair to add both Kalle and Oliver into that list ;)

Entertainer
16th January 2019, 21:09
I think its only fair to add both Kalle and Oliver into that list ;)

Hehe why not. But it almost seems unfair to the others ;) :rolleyes:

Done

steve.mandzij
16th January 2019, 21:26
Keep posting!

How about talents outside of the EU? Takamoto Katsuta could perhaps have a break-out year, showed some promise in Sweden last year with the WRC2-win.Any ideas about talents in South America? Aside from Zaldívar who's doing JWRC this year the only other name I know is Marquito Bulacia who hasn't been impressive in WRC2 to say the least...

Jarek Z
16th January 2019, 21:32
Driver list in post #1 updated
- sorted
- age added
- looks nicer :)

Looks really good! Well done!
There is only one small mistake. Julian Wagner comes from Austria, not Czech Republic.

PLuto
16th January 2019, 21:55
I think there is much more tallents which we can be mentioned here. Efren Llarena, Pierre-Louis Loubet, Laurent Pellier, Miko Marczyk, Sindre Furuseth, Callum Devine, Jon Armstrong, Nicolas Ciamin, James Williams, Hugo Margaillan, Yohan Rossel...

Entertainer
16th January 2019, 22:15
Looks really good! Well done!
There is only one small mistake. Julian Wagner comes from Austria, not Czech Republic.

Ah, of course, thanks for correction

Entertainer
16th January 2019, 22:23
I think there is much more tallents which we can be mentioned here. Efren Llarena, Pierre-Louis Loubet, Laurent Pellier, Miko Marczyk, Sindre Furuseth, Callum Devine, Jon Armstrong, Nicolas Ciamin, James Williams, Hugo Margaillan, Yohan Rossel...

Indeed there is, let's look into adding some more young guns, and maybe clear out some based on added criteria, to keep the list readable.. :)
Since 27-29 is sort of universal age of "leaving youth behind" for rally drivers (27 is max for ERC juniors, 28 or 29 is JWRC max age if I'm correct?) lets put the maximum age around 28 for this list. That might seem old for some but there are drivers still developing at an older age, Tom Kristensson @ 27 is an example of one, Pietarinen @ 25 another.

Any more suggestions to criteria?

PLuto
16th January 2019, 22:36
And will we count every young driver or he must prove at least some talent (I mean talent in terms of driving skills, not talent in terms of finding budget)?

Jarek Z
16th January 2019, 23:09
And will we count every young driver or he must prove at least some talent (I mean talent in terms of driving skills, not talent in terms of finding budget)?

Of course he must prove talent and driving skills, therefore some drivers on your list do not qualify ;)

AnttiL
17th January 2019, 05:19
There should be some results proving the talent.

dupanton
17th January 2019, 07:35
Of course he must prove talent and driving skills, therefore some drivers on your list do not qualify ;)

Like who?

Jarek Z
17th January 2019, 08:42
Like who?

For example - Loubet. 4 years in WRC and not a single good result. How can you compare him with Rovanperä, Greensmith or Gryazin?

Rallyper
17th January 2019, 10:05
Aren´t they talents until they won a major event. So Kalle, no. He´s already proven done and dusted. Next step for him is WRC.

dupanton
17th January 2019, 10:27
For example - Loubet. 4 years in WRC and not a single good result. How can you compare him with Rovanperä, Greensmith or Gryazin?

You might have a point for him. The rest of them are unproven in WRC but have big potential.

Jarek Z
17th January 2019, 10:48
You might have a point for him. The rest of them are unproven in WRC but have big potential.

Yes, of course it's possible. I don't know much about some of them.
Good luck to all young talents! It's not easy to secure funding for a season in WRC or ERC in any class, even R2.

maailmameister
17th January 2019, 11:06
Martin Sesks nationality is Latvian, not Estonian. A small mistake on the front page :)

maailmameister
17th January 2019, 11:10
If you want to add more Estonians to the list, then Ken Torn definitely.

Entertainer
17th January 2019, 12:00
Martin Sesks nationality is Latvian, not Estonian. A small mistake on the front page :)

Ah shit of course he is, sorry all Latvians. Will correct tonight.

Entertainer
17th January 2019, 16:13
If you want to add more Estonians to the list, then Ken Torn definitely.

Yeah Ken should be in there, cracking performance last year in JWRC. Added

PLuto
17th January 2019, 20:58

Loubet is bigger talent than Greensmith :)

PLuto
17th January 2019, 20:59
Yeah Ken should be in there, cracking performance last year in JWRC. Added

He was able to make some nice stage times, but he was not ready to compete on WRC level...

Essaj
17th January 2019, 21:37
He was able to make some nice stage times, but he was not ready to compete on WRC level...

Who are these drivers that took enough time in the national/ERC championships and came straight into the needed WRC level?

Most of the time I see you commenting in WRC thread posts you're always commenting "He is too soon in/he was not ready" comments. Please tell us when a driver is ready to join the valued "WRC level"?
Kajto won 3 straight ERC titles but still his best WRC2 result was 4th, In Turkey he lost almost 3 minutes to a winner and in Catalunya he lost 2mins to one of the drivers that you have said "joined WRC level too early"

Where is the line? When are you suppose to join J/WRC/2/3?

Is Lukyanuk now finally ready to join WRC2 boys? Is Sesks ready to join JWRC? what about Kristensson who lost the U27 title to a 19 year old kid from Latvia? Maybe Kajto should do couple seasons in some national series to gain some speed?

Rallyper
18th January 2019, 09:48
No formula for that.

I think it´s the overall person and what he/she did.

Of course results and tactics and not least speed. Also mental abilities counts.

Once they take one step up, you get a partial result or key for that specific person. And maybe so a more relevant judgement of top level rallying.

Co-driven
18th January 2019, 13:48
Any ideas about talents in South America? Aside from Zaldívar who's doing JWRC this year the only other name I know is Marquito Bulacia who hasn't been impressive in WRC2 to say the least...

Unfortunately, not. Besides the two you mentioned, there is the older brother of Fabrizio, named Miguel Zaldivar (as his father). I don't know his exact age, but he must be between 20 and 22 years old. He did some events in R5 car, some good times but still behind Saba and Dominguez.

There is another one or two young Bolivian drivers, besides Bulacia, but still haven't shown any good results internationally.

And there is Diego Dominguez jr, son of Diego Dominguez, I think 19 years old. If I am not mistaken, he was 2wd Codasur Champion in 2018. Had a huge crash in the last event of Paraguayan Championship.

But still, all of them have a lot to prove yet.

Rally Power
18th January 2019, 14:01
Most of the time I see you commenting in WRC thread posts you're always commenting "He is too soon in/he was not ready" comments. Please tell us when a driver is ready to join the valued "WRC level"?

By now we all know that Pluto’s wish seems to be having lots of drivers joining the ERC without never leaving it… ;)

Btw, iniattly I thougth the topic was about young guys starting a career but once it’s also open to not that young drivers from any series, here’s my list of the U30 guys I’m curious to see this year:
WRC: Tidemand; WRC2 Pro: Rovanpera; WRC2: Gryazin; JWRC: Sesks; ERC U28: Wagner (hope at least one of them will be there); ERC U27: Llarena; Portuguese Championship (CPR): Miguel Correia (he’s 27 but has only done one rally season on a Clio R3 and was immediately fast; this year he’ll be driving a Fiesta R5). Fingers crossed for all of them!

Got Mail
19th January 2019, 16:34
Another rally, another victory for Gryazin today.

The boy is a machine.

Jarek Z
19th January 2019, 17:02
Another rally, another victory for Gryazin today.

The boy is a machine.

Yes, he's like a RockNRoll Machine! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whScu8qkwUY

This time Gryazin won Sigdalsrally in Norway, winning 7 out of 8 stages. One stage was won by Veiby, probably by coincidence ;)

Final results of Sigdalsrally 2019:
1. Nikołaj Griazin/Jarosław Fiedorow (RUS) Skoda Fabia R5 51.01,8
2. Henning Solberg/Ilka Minor (N/A) Skoda Fabia R5 +34,2
3. Ole Christian Veiby/Jonas Andersson (N/S) Volkswagen Polo GTI R5 +1.04,2
4. Anders Grøndal/Marius Fuglerud (N) Ford Fiesta R5 +2.17,8
5. Kenneth Johnsrød/Eirik Borge (N) Ford Fiesta R5 +3.31,9
6. Søren Snartemo/Arne-Ingar Stulen (N) Skoda Fabia R5 +3.41,4
7. Mattias Monelius/Nicklas Edvardsson (S) Skoda Fabia R5 +3.42,4
8. Anders Kjær/Gøril Undebakke (N) Volkswagen Golf II GTI +5.51,3
9. Oddbjørn Røed/Haakon Sande (N) Ford Fiesta R5 +6.15,9
10. Lars Martin Stensbøl/Mads Ola Stensbøl (N) Peugeot 208 R2 +6.51,8

http://www.autoklub.pl/news/foto/201901/news20190119_90525h.jpg

Essaj
30th January 2019, 20:54
Updates on some of the listed talents I have seen/heard these past weeks.

Kalle Rovanperä,born 2000 (FIN) - Monte-Carlo; crashed on the opening stage, after that speed wise OK weekend - some really nice stage times.
Gus Greensmith, 1996 (ENG) - Monte-Carlo; Great speed whole weekend, problem free and a rather dominating R5 performace. Deserved victory.
Nikolay Gryazin, 1997 (RUS) - Two dominate wins in Norwegian championship. Real test is the upcoming rally Sweden.
Eerik Pietarinen, 1993 (FIN) - Starts the season from Sweden
Oliver Solberg, 2001 (NOR) - Good performance on his R5 debut, won the latvian rally championship opener. Next rally in a weeks time in Latvia.
Emil Lindholm, 1996 (FIN) - Dominating victory in Finnish rally championship opener. One small off where he lost +20 secs, but the real test is WRC2 Sweden.
Henrik Pietarinen, ???? (FIN) - 2019: Did his first R5 event in Arctic rally last weekend, good but nothing special - lots of room to improve.
Chris Ingram, 1994 (ENG) - Hasn't announced any plans for 2019? hopefully there is something.
Adrian Fourmeaux, 1995 (FRA) - Didn't have any clue about this guy until Monte, but wow. Great performance and one to really follow this season.

SubaruNorway
30th January 2019, 21:32
Rally Finnskogen wasn't a championship round and no real competition for Gryazin after Larsen got turbo hose problems early on.
Shame he's not driving Rally Hadeland this weekend when everyone will be there, 15 R5's and only Kristoffersson missing really

Jarek Z
26th May 2019, 19:47
17-year-old Oliver Solberg won the 3rd round of 2019 European Rally Championship, Rally Liepaja in Latvia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJOOpLEKuYM

Final results:
https://rally-base.com/2019/rally-liepaja-2019/?ssId=5363&ssGroupId=1

Fast Eddie WRC
26th May 2019, 20:37
'Hollywood' has a new star...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7gjS3IXYAAEEtj.jpg:large

Rallyper
27th May 2019, 08:17
Also the world stage of rallying...

Fast Eddie WRC
8th June 2019, 13:36
Colin Clark joined by @davidevansrally and @nikolay_gryazin to discuss emerging talent in the world of rallying.
Youtube
https://t.co/UAYDSbLn0F
Facebook
https://t.co/nL3Vr1z4TR

BigWorm
8th June 2019, 15:49
Colin Clark joined by @davidevansrally and @nikolay_gryazin to discuss emerging talent in the world of rallying.
Youtube
https://t.co/UAYDSbLn0F
Facebook
https://t.co/nL3Vr1z4TR

I thought it was a nice new direction for the Kitchen Table. Gryazin seems like a likeable chap, very down to earth.

EstWRC
8th June 2019, 16:35
wowwww, what a surprise they picked Greensmith for the one seat.

definitely didnt expect that.

racerx1979
8th June 2019, 16:48
Gus did well, but it's still too early to tell. The only thing I learned from watching Gus is Kalle should be a lot better in WRC than him.

BigWorm
8th June 2019, 16:51
wowwww, what a surprise they picked Greensmith for the one seat.

definitely didnt expect that.

Yes, that was quite biased by them.

racerx1979
8th June 2019, 16:56
I think it was Sarcasm from EstWRC.. Colin and Evans are British biased. They also all of a sudden have a big hard-on for Ogier after his stint at M-Sport. I'm sure if Neuville drove for M-Sport he would be the god of Rally.... We need some Journos from other countries to be involved...

EstWRC
8th June 2019, 16:57
Gus did well, but it's still too early to tell. The only thing I learned from watching Gus is Kalle should be a lot better in WRC than him.

exactly, he did much better than i personally expected, but like you said, its too early to tell, he hasnt been convincing in WRC2 for me.

and yes, that was a sarcasm and again i agree with you racerx1979, we need journos from other countries.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th June 2019, 19:57
Greensmith did pretty well on debut after just having one day testing since his last drive of the WRC Fiesta at the end of 2018.

And it was interesting to hear how brave he was - that's never a bad thing.

Gryazin's history was also quite a surprise, how he didnt like rally and the car revs after a family car accident. He's certainly put that behind him now !

We could really do with seeing Rovanpera in a Yaris WRC before the end of the year and see how he does.

Rally Power
9th June 2019, 12:21
We could really do with seeing Rovanpera in a Yaris WRC before the end of the year and see how he does.

Most likely he would do fine, but why rush things? Btw, has MSport confirmed the suspension or steering break on Greensmith crash?

Fast Eddie WRC
9th June 2019, 13:27
Yes, that was quite biased by them.

Well they had Gryazin on the show, not a Brit.

Rallyper
9th June 2019, 13:29
Btw, has MSport confirmed the suspension or steering break on Greensmith crash?

Very OT. Change thread... ;)

Rally Power
10th June 2019, 21:27
Very OT.

Is it? Greensmith debut on a WRC car was vastly mentioned on this thread (as on Clark KT); asking for MSport explanation of his crash makes total sense, once many people still don’t know it wasn’t a driver mistake.

SubaruNorway
10th June 2019, 21:54
He did just talk it away by saying the landing gear didn't deploy on Absolute Rally so i guess he's been told to keep a tight lip and that it just broke by itself

Rallyper
11th June 2019, 09:17
Is it? Greensmith debut on a WRC car was vastly mentioned on this thread (as on Clark KT); asking for MSport explanation of his crash makes total sense, once many people still don’t know it wasn’t a driver mistake.

First quote in this thread:

"Know of any youngsters on the verge of breaking through?
Which talents do we believe have what it takes to advance on the international scale?"

And yes, GG still belongs to thread, but no, his car doesn´t. And happening at "your" rally doesn´t count either... :) :)

Got Mail
11th June 2019, 11:25
I thought it was a nice new direction for the Kitchen Table. Gryazin seems like a likeable chap, very down to earth.

Nikolay is a really great young guy. Very humble, incredibly modest and very 'western' in his attitude. Not at all like the 'cold' Russian stererotype some may imagine.

AnttiL
13th October 2020, 07:39
Time for an update? :)

Know of any youngsters on the verge of breaking through?
Which talents do we believe have what it takes to advance on the international scale?

Post your leads on your local drivers - the ones that deserve more acknowledge, the exceptional ones, the late bloomers etc. Include the driver's plan for 2019 if available.

UPDATED: DRIVER LIST
Some of the young drivers to keep an eye on 2019:
(list sorted by proximity to WRC - WRC2 - ERC - JWRC - JERC - National Championship Classes)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kalle Rovanperä,born 2000 (FIN) - 2019: WRC2Pro + ? rounds WRC
Gus Greensmith, 1996 (ENG) - 2019: WRC2 + min 1 round WRC
Nikolay Gryazin, 1997 (RUS) - reigning ERCU28-champ - 2019: WRC2 + ERC1J
Eerik Pietarinen, 1993 (FIN) - reigning Finnish R5-champion - 2019: WRC2
Emil Bergkvist, 1994 (SWE) - reigning JWRC-champion - 2019: WRC2
Ken Torn, 1993 (EST) - 2019: JWRC
Martin Sesks, 1999 (LAT) - reigning ERCU27-champion - 2019: JWRC + ERC1J
Tom Kristensson, 1991 (SWE) - reigning ERCU27-runner up - 2019: JWRC
Dennis Rådström, 1995 (SWE) - reigning JWRC-runner up - 2019: JWRC
Jan Solans, 1997 (SPA) - 2019: JWRC
Oliver Solberg, 2001 (NOR) - 2019: R5 selected rounds in Latvia + maybe WRC2
Emil Lindholm, 1996 (FIN) - 2019: R5 in Finnish Championship + Rally Sweden&Finland WRC2
Henrik Pietarinen, ???? (FIN) - 2019: First R5 season in Finnish Championship
Julian Wagner, 1995 (AUT) - 2019: AuT R5 championship
Petr Semerád, 2001 (CZE)
Erik Cais, 2001 (CZE)
Mats van den Brand, 1991 (HOL)
Chris Ingram, 1994 (ENG)
Steve Rökland, 1992 (NOR)
Adrian Fourmeaux, 1995 (FRA) - 2018 French Junior Champion - 2019: WRC2
Jean-Baptiste Francesci, 1996 (FRA)
Ralfs Sirmacis, 1994 (LAT)

Kalle Rovanperä,born 2000 (FIN) - 2019 WRC2Pro Champion - 2020 WRC Toyota
Gus Greensmith, 1996 (ENG) - 2020 WRC M-Sport (partial season)
Pierre-Louis Loubet, 1997 (FRA) - 2019 WRC2 Champion - 2020 WRC Hyundai customer team (partial season)

Nikolay Gryazin, 1997 (RUS) - 2020 WRC2 Hyundai
Adrian Fourmaux, 1995 (FRA) - 2018 French Junior Champion - 2020: WRC2 M-Sport

Oliver Solberg, 2001 (NOR) - 2020 WRC3, ERC
Jari Huttunen, 1994 (FIN) - 2020 WRC3, Polish championship
Jan Solans, 1997 (SPA) - 2019 JWRC champion - 2020 WRC3

Emil Lindholm, 1996 (FIN) - 2020 ERC, Finnish championship

Martin Sesks, 1999 (LAT) - 2018 ERCU27-champion - 2020 JWRC
Tom Kristensson, 1991 (SWE) - 2018 ERCU27-runner up - 2020 JWRC
Sami Pajari, 2001 (FIN) - 2020 JWRC

Ken Torn, 1993 (EST) - 2020 ERC with Rally4 car

Eerik Pietarinen, 1993 (FIN) - 2020 selected rounds in Rally2 car in Finland and neighboring countries
Emil Bergkvist, 1994 (SWE) - 2018 JWRC champion - 2020 only Rally Sweden Lockdown
Dennis Rådström, 1995 (SWE) - 2018 JWRC runner up - 2020 selected rounds in Rally4 car
Chris Ingram, 1994 (ENG) - 2019 ERC champion - 2020 no starts
Henrik Pietarinen, 1995 (FIN) - 2020 no starts

EstWRC
13th October 2020, 08:06
i think you can add Robert Virves there from Estonia as potential talent