PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Sales

Valve Bounce
13th December 2006, 12:14
Since drowning my Motorola L6, I have been looking for a new mobile phone and I've found some great deals on ebay. However, these sellers are based in the US.
I hope to be in San Francisco in January, and I'd like to know where there are stores which sell cell phones around the same price as found on ebay.
There's one place in Encino; where is that in relation to San Fran?
Can anyone help me here with some info here.

Mark
13th December 2006, 12:21
Be careful. Many of them may be locked to US networks, or otherwise be unable to use Australian networks.

Storm
13th December 2006, 12:59
I am not sure why you would want to buy a cell phone from another country especially as you might have to pay some fee to get them unlocked.

Valve Bounce
13th December 2006, 13:03
I have checked this out quite seriously, and I intend to buy one unlocked. I'll have my Aussi sim card with me to check it out. I'll phone home. I have also checked with my contact here who advises that he has no problems unlocking Motorola Mobile phones.
http://search.express.ebay.com/Cell-Phones-Wireless-Products_Cell-Phones__W0QQBrand3d75b67ZMotorolafad209afQQTopMoto rolaModelsdc9d3d30ZSLVRL7ad373296QQLHQ5fPriceZQ2eQ 2e200Q2e00

Can anyone tell me where Encino is in relation to San Francisco?

Mark
13th December 2006, 13:05
I have checked this out quite seriously, and I intend to buy one unlocked. I'll have my Aussi sim card with me to check it out. I'll phone home. I have also checked with my contact here who advises that he has no problems unlocking Motorola Mobile phones.

Can anyone tell me where Encino is in relation to San Francisco?

Phoning home doesn't guarantee that the phone works on the same frequencies as Australian networks.

As for the location, use a mapping site like google!

Storm
13th December 2006, 13:31
Is there really such a big difference in prices in Oz and the US w.r.t Motorola phones? I would be surprised if indeed it is.

Also a simple Wiki search told me Encino is near LA which is pretty far away from San Fran ;)

Dave B
13th December 2006, 14:41
I wouldn't bother. Aside from the compatibilty issues already mentioned, you may well have the devil's own job getting anything done under warranty on a second-hand phone bought on a different continent.

555-04Q2
13th December 2006, 15:13
Be careful. Many of them may be locked to US networks, or otherwise be unable to use Australian networks.

That happened to me. Bought a phone in Milwaukee and it never worked when I got home :(

Dave B
13th December 2006, 15:24
Don't forget that some US networks use 900/1900MHz, whereas most other countries use 900/1800MHz. Worth checking that the phone supports your network's frequency.

Daniel
13th December 2006, 15:45
Yes. I would make sure it's a tri-band phone first......

Wouldn't worry about it being locked because you can always unlock it :)

Valve Bounce
13th December 2006, 23:16
Yes. I would make sure it's a tri-band phone first......

Wouldn't worry about it being locked because you can always unlock it :)

Looking at an L7 which is quad band.
Yes there is a difference in prices in mobile phones between Oz and the States. Phones here are at least double in price, and could be more. The Motorola K1 costs $AUD830 here. Then you have to pay $70 (officially) to get it unlocked.

Storm
14th December 2006, 07:16
Err sorry for being thick but you have to get phones unlocked in Australia ?

Daniel
14th December 2006, 13:08
It's OK Storm :p

Valve Bounce
15th December 2006, 05:36
Err sorry for being thick but you have to get phones unlocked in Australia ?

Here:http://www.cellhut.com/product-1592.html