PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] Vodafone Rally de Portugal 2019

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Andre Oliveira
19th December 2018, 11:44
First infos about route with changes, friday will be back to centre zone.

Shakedown at Baltar
Ceremonial start at Coimbra

Lousã, Arganil and Góis x2
SSS Lousada

Vieira do Minho, Cabeceiras de Basto and Amarante x2
Street Stage Gaia

Montim, Fafe, Luílhas, Montim and Fafe

Rally Power
19th December 2018, 13:14
It’s great to have Arganil back in the rally; it was the most iconic stage/region of Portugal Rally in the 70’s and 80’s. It’s also great to have the rally starting on another Portuguese Unesco’s world heritage town, this time Coimbra.

I just can’t get the option of having Lousada SSS on friday, when they’re coming from the south and Gaia on saturday, when they’re coming from the north; it’d make more sense the other way around (friday Gaia; saturday Lousada).

Anyway, fingers crossed for another exciting Rally de Portugal; it'll be hard to wait untill the end of May!

AnttiL
19th December 2018, 13:36
It’s great to have Arganil back in the rally; it was the most iconic stage/region of Portugal Rally in the 70’s and 80’s. It’s also great to have the rally starting on another Portuguese Unesco’s world heritage town, this time Coimbra.

Excellent!

Sardalense
19th December 2018, 14:17
I just can’t get the option of having Lousada SSS on friday, when they’re coming from the south and Gaia on saturday, when they’re coming from the north; it’d make more sense the other way around (friday Gaia; saturday Lousada).

The drivers are only able to do the recce before the mid day service and friday it's impossible to do it.

Rally Power
19th December 2018, 14:43
The drivers are only able to do the recce before the mid day service and friday it's impossible to do it.

This actually isn’t a big deal, but if Gaia was on Friday couldn’t they do the recee on Thursday afternoon, after the shakedown? The street stage structure is usually finished a long time before being run.

Andre Oliveira
19th December 2018, 14:45
The most caotic traffic day is friday. Smart choice too.

Rally Power
19th December 2018, 15:11
The most caotic traffic day is friday. Smart choice too.

We had Porto and Braga being run on a Friday and no one complained; besides, Gaia streets will be closed some days before the event to build the 'circuit', which most certainly will be ready more than 24h before stage time. Anyway, to avoid some extra kms on an already long leg could only be positive.

Sardalense
19th December 2018, 15:33
This actually isn’t a big deal, but if Gaia was on Friday couldn’t they do the recee on Thursday afternoon, after the shakedown? The street stage structure is usually finished a long time before being run.

I suppose that the drivers are not allowed to recce the stages after shakedown and with the usual recce cars, and If they do it with the rally cars the rally must start at Porto or Gaia and all the km from Porto or Gaia to Coimbra will count to the total distance of the rally, and that is probably what they want to avoid.

df93
19th December 2018, 18:04
Does anyone know where the service is expected to be? Same as last year?

Andre Oliveira
19th December 2018, 18:07
Yes, Exponor

Andre Oliveira
28th January 2019, 12:53
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyAE5a-WkAIPmPa?format=jpg&name=large

Andre Oliveira
28th January 2019, 13:24
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyAL7oYWoAAgmZp?format=jpg&name=large

AnttiL
28th January 2019, 13:33
More detailed info here http://www.rallydeportugal.pt/content.aspx?menuid=43&eid=5833

Friday will be relocated South-West with ceremonial start there, no midday service, only remote tyre change, and then Lousada in the evening. Rest of the rally is more or less the same, except a new street stage is now driven on Saturday.

pantealex
28th January 2019, 19:06
Loeb or Sordo ?

is it confirmed ?

Rally Power
28th January 2019, 19:24
It was said he will run Portugal, but he was also expected to do MC...

AnttiL
28th January 2019, 19:42
https://www.rally-maps.com/Rally-de-Portugal-2019

Andre Oliveira
28th January 2019, 22:18
Error of Hyundai if not Sordo. He did very good here and it is the second home event ;)

pantealex
29th January 2019, 08:14
Error of Hyundai if not Sordo. He did very good here and it is the second home event ;)

Is there an rally where Loeb is slower than Sordo ?

Andre Oliveira
29th January 2019, 09:36
Loeb never did Portugal in north.

pantealex
29th January 2019, 13:49

Catalonia is his home event...

...and 2018 winner was...

LOEB ;)

just kidding, Sordo will do 8 and Loeb 6.

Simmi
30th January 2019, 13:11
A few things still to fall into place but it looks like I can hopefully make the trip back to Portugal this year. Second time in the north!

Mexico - Portugal - Finland - GB has the makings of a nice year spectating.

rasmusvark
4th March 2019, 07:08
Hi!

Wanted to ask about tickets. Looked it up that rally passes go for 300 euros this year. Everywhere else rally passes are usually under 100 euros. Why is it so expensive in Portugal or is there a possibility that cheaper tickets will come for sale?

tc10a
4th March 2019, 12:06
Hi!

Wanted to ask about tickets. Looked it up that rally passes go for 300 euros this year. Everywhere else rally passes are usually under 100 euros. Why is it so expensive in Portugal or is there a possibility that cheaper tickets will come for sale?

In Rally Portugal "Rallypass" is something different to other WRC rounds. There is no ticket needed on the normal special stages of Rally Portugal expect some special places like shakedown finish or superspecial Lousada. (approx. 15 euros)

These "rallypass" is more like a VIP-pass with hospitality tent, grandstands, special parking etc. There is a special zone on a stage per day. This zone is just for these rallypass guests.

Friday: SS Arganil or SS Lousada
Saturday: SS Amarante
Sunday: SS Fafe or SS Montim

rasmusvark
4th March 2019, 12:33
In Rally Portugal "Rallypass" is something different to other WRC rounds. There is no ticket needed on the normal special stages of Rally Portugal expect some special places like shakedown finish or superspecial Lousada. (approx. 15 euros)

These "rallypass" is more like a VIP-pass with hospitality tent, grandstands, special parking etc. There is a special zone on a stage per day. This zone is just for these rallypass guests.

Friday: SS Arganil or SS Lousada
Saturday: SS Amarante
Sunday: SS Fafe or SS Montim

Okay. Thanks

Sash78
14th March 2019, 04:21
Anyone interested for car sharing - hotel / apartment rent?

Unfortunately due to some cancellation, I have to re-plan my trip to Portugal and if anyone interested joining me is welcome.
I just need the info ASAP.

Thanks, Sash

AnttiL
23rd March 2019, 11:37
Spectator recce video of the new stage Lousã (SS1/4). Quite small road compared to what the rally usually offers

https://www.facebook.com/miguelcarvalhinho/videos/195072261462213/UzpfSTU5MjM4NjQxNDIyOTQ5NjoxNDgxNzYwNDQ1MjkyMDg0/

Sardalense
26th March 2019, 07:10
Spectator recce video of the new stage Lousã (SS1/4). Quite small road compared to what the rally usually offers

https://www.facebook.com/miguelcarvalhinho/videos/195072261462213/UzpfSTU5MjM4NjQxNDIyOTQ5NjoxNDgxNzYwNDQ1MjkyMDg0/

I did the stage twice and I didn't find it narrow. Arganil is much narrower than Lousã.

AnttiL
26th March 2019, 09:09
I did the stage twice and I didn't find it narrow. Arganil is much narrower than Lousã.

Arganil I haven't yet seen. The road width varies constantly but around 4:00 on that video it looks like one car width. Obviously the camera lense may fool a bit, but I've seen another video of the ending and it looked similarly narrow. The beginning seems to be wider, but conversely rougher.

Also, I would claim that the Saturday and Sunday stages are for the most part wider than this, but of course I haven't driven them myself.

Sardalense
26th March 2019, 10:42
Arganil I haven't yet seen. The road width varies constantly but around 4:00 on that video it looks like one car width. Obviously the camera lense may fool a bit, but I've seen another video of the ending and it looked similarly narrow. The beginning seems to be wider, but conversely rougher.

Also, I would claim that the Saturday and Sunday stages are for the most part wider than this, but of course I haven't driven them myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY8EKAbPzDA&t=60s

From 1:35 to 7:36 the stage is the same, with one small difference, there are no trees now!

AnttiL
26th March 2019, 10:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY8EKAbPzDA&t=60s

From 1:35 to 7:36 the stage is the same, with one small difference, there are no trees now!

Thanks, I'll take a look at that later on!

EDIT: Looks narrow and rough for sure. At 8:25 it joins this year's route again, where it becomes wider and faster.

Rally Power
26th March 2019, 23:20
Yep, Lousã isn’t so narrow like it looks on the video; besides, most of the vegetation closer to the road will certainly be removed, like it was already done on the final part.

Btw, more info about Góis stage on this promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5BgU_9O2aQ

Micke_VOC
27th March 2019, 20:04
Btw, more info about Góis stage on this promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5BgU_9O2aQ

Looks really nice

mknight
27th March 2019, 20:47
Yep, Lousã isn’t so narrow like it looks on the video; besides, most of the vegetation closer to the road will certainly be removed, like it was already done on the final part.

The area around 1:20 is where Hyundai tested last year:
https://youtu.be/xdTf_62DH9k
https://youtu.be/qdfdWOafjvk

AnttiL
17th April 2019, 08:56
https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/1118424324233412608

Hyundai has entered Neuville, Mikkelsen and Sordo for Portugal.

Thus my guess was wrong about Sordo stepping out from Portugal for having rallied on the Fafe area stages in a local rally after RG1 release date.

AnttiL
23rd April 2019, 19:46

No recce videos so far? I think there's three different ones for Lousa, but none for Gois...

Sardalense
23rd April 2019, 21:35
No recce videos so far? I think there's three different ones for Lousa, but none for Gois...

Not yet! By the way, Lousã stage is closed to cars, only bicycles and motorbikes to avoid damaging the stage. And Arganil stage has now a double guardrail for 1.5 km to avoid acidents like Latvala in 2009 in Algarve and Kenneth Eriksson in 1992 at that place where the guardrails are now.

go mads
30th April 2019, 17:17
I'll be driving up from the algarve with my 14 year old son on Thursday for ceremonial start in coimbra and then one of the stages run twice on Friday before returning to algarve. If anyone has similar plans then get in touch and share fuel/toll costs? Does anyone know what the toll would cost up to coimbra?

Francis44
30th April 2019, 17:24
I'll be driving up from the algarve with my 14 year old son on Thursday for ceremonial start in coimbra and then one of the stages run twice on Friday before returning to algarve. If anyone has similar plans then get in touch and share fuel/toll costs? Does anyone know what the toll would cost up to coimbra?

If you decide to go on the motorway all the way up to Coimbra you're looking at about 40€ for tolls. You can save a bit doing some kms on the national roads but they are always crowded and progress is slow.

go mads
30th April 2019, 18:07
Thanks, expensive isn't it...? Already a 4 hour journey so wont be taking any smaller roads..

jbmarcus21
2nd May 2019, 09:39
Google Earth Map 2019 Rally WRC Portugal is now online ► http://bit.ly/2RR1Oiw

DocMS
7th May 2019, 12:29
can anyone give info on spectating for weekend. Looking at rally passes and for weekend are €300 and only allow access to certain locations? Is this normal or what am I missing?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Francis44
7th May 2019, 13:13
can anyone give info on spectating for weekend. Looking at rally passes and for weekend are €300 and only allow access to certain locations? Is this normal or what am I missing?

You dont need a rally pass. Access for the majority of spectator zones is free. With the rally pass you get access to two exclusive spectator areas and better parking, thats it. You can even wonder around the service park for free.

DocMS
7th May 2019, 13:17
You dont need a rally pass. Access for the majority of spectator zones is free. With the rally pass you get access to two exclusive spectator areas and better parking, thats it. You can even wonder around the service park for free.I was thinking was bit on the expensive side. So without the passes to these spectator areas is it easy enough to get to the stages etc. First time to Portugal so bit on the unknown. Some stuff I have read up on says that it's very tightly control for getting to and from the stages.

Rally Power
7th May 2019, 15:09
I was thinking was bit on the expensive side. So without the passes to these spectator areas is it easy enough to get to the stages etc. First time to Portugal so bit on the unknown. Some stuff I have read up on says that it's very tightly control for getting to and from the stages.

You’ll be only restricted if you try to go outside the spectators zones (ZE’s), which are usually in good spots and easy to reach. In a few days the info about this year ZE’s will be available in the rally site, but you can check last year Saturday and Sunday ZE’s once they’ll probably be the same (from ZE 21 forwards): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuWiT5dEgAxSK7DGalSbEb4t3vJ90OkCY

Sardalense
9th May 2019, 20:17
Gaia Street Stage will not take place due to lack of funding from the municipality.

AnttiL
9th May 2019, 20:29
Gaia Street Stage will not take place due to lack of funding from the municipality.

Oh damn, it looked like a really good street stage...

Francis44
9th May 2019, 21:00
The rally is done, no more Rally de Portugal in WRC, I guess oficial announcement after the end of this year's rally

Rally Power
9th May 2019, 23:13
The rally is done, no more Rally de Portugal in WRC, I guess oficial announcement after the end of this year's rally

That’s a pretty stupid thing to say. You can’t take Gaia street stage cancellation and make wild assumptions about the whole Rally. This was an isolated incident of a SSS promoter that won’t affect the overall organization or stop this year Rally de Portugal to be a success, as usual.

With the addition of the iconic Arganil stages to the North legs the rally is more challenging for crews and teams and more exciting for fans than ever before. At the end of the event no one will remember the absence of a SSS and everybody will be eager to return next year to celebrate this fantastic sport in some of the most popular and iconic rally stages of the world!

Francis44
10th May 2019, 08:36
That’s a pretty stupid thing to say. You can’t take Gaia street stage cancellation and make wild assumptions about the whole Rally. This was an isolated incident of a SSS promoter that won’t affect the overall organization or stop this year Rally de Portugal to be a success, as usual.

With the addition of the iconic Arganil stages to the North legs the rally is more challenging for crews and teams and more exciting for fans than ever before. At the end of the event no one will remember the absence of a SSS and everybody will be eager to return next year to celebrate this fantastic sport in some of the most popular and iconic rally stages of the world!

Thats not at all a "stupid" thing to say. This is not about the petty Gaia street stage. Many things are happening behind the scenes and the decision is already made, ACP is just waiting for the end of the race for the official announcement. Why do you figure all of the sudden multiple local entities have decided to stop supporting the rally?! It is simply because they would not have an easy time explaining such big investments to have promotion for just one more year.

Rally Power
10th May 2019, 10:19
Thats not at all a "stupid" thing to say. This is not about the petty Gaia street stage. Many things are happening behind the scenes and the decision is already made, ACP is just waiting for the end of the race for the official announcement. Why do you figure all of the sudden multiple local entities have decided to stop supporting the rally?! It is simply because they would not have an easy time explaining such big investments to have promotion for just one more year.

Stop the BS for gods sake. You’re just speculating and damaging Rally de Portugal image; that’s more than stupid, that’s preposterous.

Only Gaia pulled out; all the others partners kept their commitments towards ACP, the organizer. It’s never easy to get the proper budget for such a huge event, in Portugal or in any other WRC country, and the ACP has always managed to sort it out, no matter what. If you’re Portuguese you should know it and show some support, instead of talking rubbish.

Francis44
10th May 2019, 12:15
Stop the BS for gods sake. You’re just speculating and damaging Rally de Portugal image; that’s more than stupid, that’s preposterous.

Only Gaia pulled out; all the others partners kept their commitments towards ACP, the organizer. It’s never easy to get the proper budget for such a huge event, in Portugal or in any other WRC country, and the ACP has always managed to sort it out, no matter what. If you’re Portuguese you should know it and show some support, instead of talking rubbish.

Check back in June then. Multipe individuals working on the organization have already left ship.

Rally Power
10th May 2019, 13:27
Check back in June then. Multipe individuals working on the organization have already left ship.

More BS. Having people entering or leaving a company is a normal thing; what’s not normal is to see an alleged fan sorting info in a speculative and harmful way, like you’re doing. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Francis44
10th May 2019, 14:33
More BS. Having people entering or leaving a company is a normal thing; what’s not normal is to see an alleged fan sorting info in a speculative and harmful way, like you’re doing. You should be ashamed of yourself.

http://sportmotores.com/portal/!site.go?s=7443381470&p=.20055&id=54385

Easy with the accusations. I know some of what has been happening behind the scenes, and it is not pretty. Truth and transparency are always more important than skme BS nationalism. How would you feel if you were organizing a trip for a event that will not happen?!

Rally Power
10th May 2019, 16:30
http://sportmotores.com/portal/!site.go?s=7443381470&p=.20055&id=54385

Easy with the accusations. I know some of what has been happening behind the scenes, and it is not pretty. Truth and transparency are always more important than skme BS nationalism. How would you feel if you were organizing a trip for a event that will not happen?!

You know nothing, for gods sake. First you’ve speculated next year rally was doomed, now you’re suggesting this year rally won’t happen. Get real and stop the BS.

Btw, the rally HQ is already starting to be built on Exponor.

Francis44
10th May 2019, 19:55
You know nothing, for gods sake. First you’ve speculated next year rally was doomed, now you’re suggesting this year rally won’t happen. Get real and stop the BS.

Btw, the rally HQ is already starting to be built on Exponor.

WHAT?! Where have I said this years edition will be cancelled?! Christ almighty do you know how to read?! Ofcourse this years edition will be on the road, if there is a shortage of funds ACP will cover it. Next year there will not be a Rally de Portugal in the WRC, obviously you are having problems dealing with that.

AnttiL
10th May 2019, 20:02
WHAT?! Where have I said this years edition will be cancelled?!

This sort of hinted in that direction

How would you feel if you were organizing a trip for a event that will not happen?!

Because I doubt anyone is organizing a trip a rally which is run 12 months from now...

Francis44
10th May 2019, 20:54
This sort of hinted in that direction

Because I doubt anyone is organizing a trip a rally which is run 12 months from now...

The article posted is just another indication of what a troublesome last few months ACP had.

I never said or suggested this years rally was in danger.

Rally Power
11th May 2019, 12:02
http://portocanal.sapo.pt/comentario/392

An interview with the President of Porto and North Tourism, one of Rally de Portugal major partners, saying what I’ve said previously: the event won’t be affected by Gaia pull out as this was an isolated incident and all the other partners kept their commitments towards the organizer.

He also mentioned that RdP is a vital event for the local and national economy, deserving to be supported by the region and the country authorities. No direct question was made about the rally future once no one, apart some hysterical fans, believes it’s at risk.

Hope this will end, once for all, with the useless speculation.

bauwie01
13th May 2019, 07:50
When will the entry list be published?

mknight
13th May 2019, 09:22
Greensmith is driving Fiesta WRC. Anyone remembers if he has more rallies planned with it?

Morte66
13th May 2019, 10:53
Greensmith is driving Fiesta WRC. Anyone remembers if he has more rallies planned with it?

It has always been spoken of as one drive, no mention of any more.

Got Mail
13th May 2019, 11:20

I imagine that decision will rest with his Father alone.

AnttiL
14th May 2019, 14:53
https://itgetsfasternow.com/2019/05/14/route-preview-rally-portugal-2019/

Route Preview on It Gets Faster Now!

Like mentioned before, the Coimbra area stages Gois, Lousa and Arganil on Friday with no midday service, then Lousada in the evening. Saturday and Sunday mostly like last year.

Rallyper
14th May 2019, 15:52
So no entrylist yet?

Need it for Pickems...

AnttiL
14th May 2019, 16:42
So no entrylist yet?

Need it for Pickems...

EDIT I calculated weeks wrong

Tarmop
14th May 2019, 18:24
More like two weeks, for spectators a bit more.

pedro16
14th May 2019, 18:32
Normally we get the next rally entry list when the current one is about to start. Now it's four weeks between Chile and Portugal so we should expect it later this week?
The spectator zones are scheduled to be released 2 weeks before the rally, so they might be released tomorrow or Thursday. I'm expecting the entry list to come out around the same time

tc10a
15th May 2019, 07:54
The videos of the Specatator zones are already online since yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuWiT5dEgAxRj1-gkbSGqgz2p759U_QS_

df93
15th May 2019, 09:49
Looking for some help, I am staying in Porto on the Friday night and looking to go to the early Saturday morning service. What is the best way to travel from the center of Porto and then back and does anyone have a time for the morning service on the Saturday? Thanks

CWJ
15th May 2019, 11:50
Best is by car but u can use train 601 from Cordoaria to Exponor in about 28 mins.
First service Saturday is 6.30 am. Njoy

Rally Power
16th May 2019, 12:11

Like mentioned before, the Coimbra area stages Gois, Lousa and Arganil on Friday with no midday service, then Lousada in the evening. Saturday and Sunday mostly like last year.

Congrats Antti; really cool preview, as usual.

Best is by car but u can use train 601 from Cordoaria to Exponor in about 28 mins.

Not a big user of public transportation but I believe 601 is a bus, not a train. Anyway, it seems a smart option for visiting Friday and Saturday late afternoon services; thanks for the tip.

Mirek
16th May 2019, 12:22
Not a big user of public transportation but I believe 601 is a bus, not a train

601 is neither train nor bus but the East German miracle on wheels called Trabant :D

Sorry, I could not resist.

NickRally
17th May 2019, 17:35
Looking for some help, I am staying in Porto on the Friday night and looking to go to the early Saturday morning service. What is the best way to travel from the center of Porto and then back and does anyone have a time for the morning service on the Saturday? Thanks

I would strongly recommend renting a car or having another back up mode of transport - I remember couple of years ago when I visited the rally I relied on public transport for the first day of my visit getting to and from the airport to Exponor and for various reasons many of the scheduled bus services did not materialise and had to get a taxi back to the airport. Looking back, it would have been faster to walk :). For the second day I had a car as I planned on visiting the shakedown and then back to the service park, which worked great. Anyway, the weather and the general atmosphere were great, people there are very passionate about the rally.

Rally Power
17th May 2019, 18:21
RdP spectator’s guide is already available on the rally site:

http://www.rallydeportugal.pt/contentlist.aspx?menuid=52

go mads
18th May 2019, 20:52
Am I missing something? In 2 weeks this event will be almost over and still no entry list?🤔

Tarmop
18th May 2019, 22:02
Perhaps, hopefully, something interesting going on behind the scenes...

Allez Andruet
19th May 2019, 04:45
Perhaps, hopefully, something interesting going on behind the scenes...

Like...?

Would have loved to see Loeb again, but both Sordo and Mikkelsen already completed their PET sessions this week.

Andre Oliveira
20th May 2019, 21:03
Entry list still to aprroval by FIA.

One manufacter changed drivers according last infos.

er88
20th May 2019, 23:20
Entry list still to aprroval by FIA.

One manufacter changed drivers according last infos.Oooh....?! So who's been changed then do we think?

Surely has to be Hyundai, so Mikkelsen or Sordo has been dumped if rumours are true?

mknight
21st May 2019, 06:57
We'll see what actually happens, but all the people I see mentioned are strange in their own ways:

Hyundai - (note that they were they highest scoring team in South America, so why change now?)
Mikkelsen (for Loeb) - While dropping him for Corsica was logical for multiple reasons, this wouldn't be. Dropping after 1 bad rally (in last 9 months) where he still outscored both Toyotas and just after getting 2nd place ahead of Ogier. Portugal is also much more similar to Arg or Mexico than Chile and he always did good there.

Sordo (for Loeb) - He was slowest Hyundai in Argentina and not the fastest in Mexico, but can hardly blame him for the technical issues in Mexico and also on one SS in Argentina (that cost him 5th at minimum). He is typically the most stable 2/3 driver at Hyundai (Loeb included), has driven in Portugal the last few years and it's almost his home event.

While Loeb had level playing field in Chile, in Portugal he would be at quite some disadvantage since majority of stages are same as last years (and some of the new are known from tests). Also if he doesn't want to (or is not paid to) do more than 6 rallies this year it would be strange to "waste" him in Portugal where both other drivers are likely to do ok, while in multiple other rallies (GB, Spain, Germany, Finland) one or both are risky.

Citroen
Lappi (for Østberg or even Breen) - Yes he has had 4 bad rallies in a row. But he also did 2nd place in Sweden and Citroen is clearly not aiming for manu titles so don't see how it matters. Furthermore he signed for 2 years, dropping him for a rally this early would not really set good atmosphere for remaining 1,5 year.

Toyota
Latvala (for who?????) - He hasn't had a good rally in the 6 rounds so far, only Argentina was kind of mediocre (5th place), and only 1 clear technical issue (Mexico). But there is nobody around that can really be expected to do better in a Toyota on such a short notice.

Meeke(for who?????) - Also no really good results in the 6 rounds so far, 4th place from Argentina is decent though. But same as for Latvala there is nobody around to replace him.

MSport
Suninen (for who?) - As I understand he brings the money to drive the car, so I see this as impossible.

Gevin
21st May 2019, 07:25
Looks like Gaia Street Stage SS14&SS15 canceled on saturday night.
edit: Oopsie, there is some info on page 5 for it.

TRW
21st May 2019, 07:30
It probably can only be Hyundai because only they have "free agents" to use who havent sit out for a long time.
I think abandoning Sordo for Rally Portugal is quite harsh, since as said - allmost home event.

Gevin
21st May 2019, 07:38
Well I think there is more change for Sordo than Mikkelsen driving.

Allez Andruet
21st May 2019, 08:00
MSport
Suninen (for who?) - As I understand he brings the money to drive the car, so I see this as impossible.

No he does not. But anyway, sure it won't be Suninen who'd be ditched in favor of someone else.

AnttiL
21st May 2019, 08:19
Maybe Sordo dropped for participating in the Fafe local rally?

Gevin
21st May 2019, 08:35
So Greensmith is driving WRC on portugal?

Allez Andruet
21st May 2019, 08:39
So Greensmith is driving WRC on portugal?

That's already been announced earlier.

er88
21st May 2019, 08:49
Mikkelsen (for Loeb) - While dropping him for Corsica was logical for multiple reasons, this wouldn't be. Dropping after 1 bad rally (in last 9 months) where he still outscored both Toyotas and just after getting 2nd place ahead of Ogier. Portugal is also much more similar to Arg or Mexico than Chile and he always did good there.

1 bad rally in 9months? He's crashed/retired in Monte Carlo and Mexico, and was embarrassingly slow in Chile. That's 3 bad rallies right away. He's had one good rally this year and one decent/pretty good event at his home rally.

Then he crashed in Australia (bad), GB (underwhelming), was 3rd fastest in Turkey and moved temporarily into the lead before the car broke (good pace, bad result), was terrible in Spain, and if we extend this random 9 months into 10, he was bad in Finland and bad in Germany. It's a really, really poor sequence of results & performances, nobody can deny that. If that was any other driver you'd be slating them considering how closely you like to analyse most drivers and their performances. I just don't think you can see things objectively in terms of Mikkelsen.

Think all the other drivers are out of the equation.
Citroen surely can't drop Lappi this early on his career there. It would be poor management, but we've seen how poor their management has been for years now....

Evans and Suninen are locked in, and Evans is 5th in the championship (2nd of the group behind the top 3).

Toyota won't bench Meeke for driving issues. Had good pace in Monte/Mexico/Corsica/Argentina and could've had much more pts if it wasn't for rim issues and punctures/ car faults and the recce mistake/ a few driver errors. Yet despite all that he is 4th in the championship.
Jari had good pace in Chile after a very poor start to the season - why drop him now after his first real showing of being back on the pace and regaining his confidence. He'd be a broken man if he gets dropped now (you'd be as well dropping him for the rest of year if so).

So it's Sordo or Mikkelsen surely. Fwiw I still wouldn't drop Mikkelsen for Portugal, he'll have a good road position and can have good pace there. However he also can have no complaints if it is him. Agree with your points about Loeb - there's probably better use for him in other gravel rallies where Sordo and Mikkelsen struggle more than they do in portugal. Loeb also hasn't tested I don't think.

But if the GOAT wants to do Portugal, it'll be hard for Adamo to turn him down (especially if the pressure to win a title this year is as big as it's rumoured to be for Hyundai).

mknight
21st May 2019, 09:19
You know when writing about Mikkelsen you list all performances where he doesn't finish well = bad. Then you write about Meeke and Latvala who don't have a single good result in 6 rallies and bad results are not so big deal because of a long list of reasons.
So balance and objectivity goes both ways. Either we talk about performance or results but picking one of each is a problem both mine and your posts have.
Also the comment about not dropping Latvala cause he recently had good pace contrasts quite strongly with Mikkelsen recently having both good pace and result.

Anyway all the drivers listed are those that have a bad season (by results) so far, each in their own way and for different reasons. Loeb also fits on that list (4.,7.,8. and 3. is surely a bad season for him), but he is not announced for Portugal atm so that's why he is not listed. Btw. the list originally came from Paddon fans arguing he should come back cause "all these" don't do well.

For the reasons already listed I see it as very strange if anyone gets dropped, especially barely a week before the rally. Can't really remember last time something like that happened.

EstWRC
21st May 2019, 10:13
Ohhh yesss, great!

Another topic ruined with this mikkelsen conversation.

Stop it guys. Enough.

Francis44
21st May 2019, 11:01
Confirmed, Loeb will be on the start.

Entrylist available.

EstWRC
21st May 2019, 11:13
Awesome news!

That mikkelsen contract isn’t that waterproof as told in the beginning of the season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7FbYaPXkAADjz9.png

Allez Andruet
21st May 2019, 11:17
All news that mean more Loeb in WRC is great news.

Oliverk
21st May 2019, 11:26
Too bad that Mikkelsen still in Sardegna. Would have been good to see Loeb drive again with my own eyes.

mknight
21st May 2019, 11:30
Wonder how much this was Adamo's decision and how much it was decided from above. My feeling is the second option.
Somebody at Hyundai leadership saw Loeb on 3rd and wondered why he is not starting next rally. From listening to Adamo my impression was that he was more focused on improving the car and less on changing the drivers.

Getting kicked after finishing 2nd just one rally before is certainly something new, who wouldn't want to drive for a team like that.

Allez Andruet
21st May 2019, 11:35
Too bad that Mikkelsen still in Sardegna. Would have been good to see Loeb drive again with my own eyes.

Maybe Sordo will kindly step aside for Sardegna if needed...

denkimi
21st May 2019, 12:06
I don't get why they dont just use 4 cars. Sure, it won't help them in the fight for the manufacturers title, but it gives them another extra chance to take points away from ogier or tanak for the drivers title.

Simmi
21st May 2019, 12:08
I don't get why they dont just use 4 cars. Sure, it won't help them in the fight for the manufacturers title, but it gives them another extra chance to take points away from ogier or tanak for the drivers title.

Maybe they spent the extra money on paying Loeb and then lawyer bills...

Katvala
21st May 2019, 12:09
That would be a quite considerable increase in cost

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

krissucool
21st May 2019, 12:15
That is professional sports for you, you are as good as your last result. (assuming that you have not built yourself a cushion with incredible performances before). Mikkelsen was the slowest WRC in Chile. He was slower than Loeb on ALL but 1 stage. (seem incredible, I know)

Completely understandable decision.

mknight
21st May 2019, 12:20
That is professional sports for you, you are as good as your last result. (assuming that you have not built yourself a cushion with incredible performances before). Mikkelsen was the slowest WRC in Chile. He was slower than Loeb on ALL but 1 stage. (seem incredible, I know)

Completely understandable decision.

If it was so simple JML would have stopped driving 3 years ago.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st May 2019, 12:28
Ruthless ? It was a no-brainer after Chile and the only decision any sensible manager would take. Mikkelsen has no-one to blame but himself.

mknight
21st May 2019, 12:35
Ruthless ? It was a no-brainer after Chile and the only decision any sensible manager would take. Mikkelsen has no-one to blame but himself.

Never heard of a WRC manager that kicked a driver one rally after he finished 2nd. By your definition that means that no other WRC manager is sensible.

Rallyper
21st May 2019, 12:41
If it was so simple JML would have stopped driving 3 years ago.

Just stop your argumentation, pls.

mknight
21st May 2019, 12:49
"Portugal will be Loeb's fifth start for Hyundai this season, where he will drive alongside Thierry Neuville and Dani Sordo.
He is contracted for six outings, with the final outing expected to be October's Rally Spain - unless the team can persuade him to do more.
When asked by Autosport if he could be tempted to do more rounds, Loeb replied: "Do more rounds? No, I don't do more."

If what Loeb is saying is true it is extremely weird. (the whole situation)

GravelBen
21st May 2019, 12:51
Getting kicked after finishing 2nd just one rally before is certainly something new

New apart from when they did the same thing to Paddon?

mknight
21st May 2019, 12:54
New apart from when they did the same thing to Paddon?

If you mean end of 2018, he was out of contract, don't see which other situation applies.

dimviii
21st May 2019, 13:04
Never heard of a WRC manager that kicked a driver one rally after he finished 2nd. By your definition that means that no other WRC manager is sensible.

Meeke had won rally and kicked.
as you see it counts the overall picture,and not ''he just finished 2nd in previous rally''

wia5958
21st May 2019, 13:10
Ur only as good as ur last result. il try to describe this in terms outside of motorsport so u can see the reality. If you have an average goal keeper and over 2 games first game he pulls of a few saves nothing spectacular (like mikklesons sweden result) and the team earns a draw against the best team in the world and he lets in say 4 howlers in the next game. (Chile resilt) But you have a proven multiple world cup winning goal keeper on your bench who in training is equalling or bettering the current guy. Who are you going to put in for the next game. I know my choice its all about whats best for the team not what he did 2 games ago thats gone and forgotten

mknight
21st May 2019, 13:11
Meeke had won rally and kicked.
as you see it counts the overall picture,and not ''he just finished 2nd in previous rally''

Meeke won a rally then didn't finish 4 following ones (1 technical, 4 crashes in 3 others ). Slightly different situation as well as the overall picture.

mknight
21st May 2019, 13:28
Ur only as good as ur last result. il try to describe this in terms outside of motorsport so u can see the reality. If you have an average goal keeper and over 2 games first game he pulls of a few saves nothing spectacular (like mikklesons sweden result) and the team earns a draw against the best team in the world and he lets in say 4 howlers in the next game. (Chile resilt) But you have a proven multiple world cup winning goal keeper on your bench who in training is equalling or bettering the current guy. Who are you going to put in for the next game. I know my choice its all about whats best for the team not what he did 2 games ago thats gone and forgotten

This would fit perfectly if Loeb didn't drive like he did in Sweden and Corsica, which were terrible especially by his Corsica standards.

Yes both are different surface, but his main comment in Sweden was that other drivers drive same stages all the time (and with help of onboards perfect the lines trough corners). Portugal will be the same in this regard while Chile wasn't. So Loeb is by no means a secure card for Portugal. Mikkelsen wouldn't have been either.

Francis44
21st May 2019, 13:40
It is a risky decision by Hyundai but in order to collect the rewards you must be risky sometimes.

It will not be an easy rally for Loeb, he never raced in the north before and both Saturday and Sunday stages are familiar to most of the top guys.

He seem to also forget Mikkelsen has started doing WRC rounds since 2007, that was 12 years ago, he should be much more competent and consistent by now.

Raven
23rd May 2019, 18:04
I was absent in this forum for years (mainly active in ERC section) but I hope no one will kill me for this one simple question I can't find answer for. Are there any single stage tickets for the rally I can buy directly on the entrance to the stage? I want to stay on the ss for two passes so I don't have to and I don't want to buy day pass. Thanks for any help.

Rally Power
23rd May 2019, 19:11
I was absent in this forum for years (mainly active in ERC section) but I hope no one will kill me for this one simple question I can't find answer for. Are there any single stage tickets for the rally I can buy directly on the entrance to the stage? I want to stay on the ss for two passes so I don't have to and I don't want to buy day pass. Thanks for any help.

Relax Raven, the forum killing rate is still zero; some posts can look harsh but eventually we’re all good fellows…or NOT.

As it was already told, you can see all RdP stages for free, with the exception of Lousada SSS. Rally Pass here is a sort of VIP hospitaly pass for a few exclusive spectators zones (ZE’s), but the vast majority of ZE’s are freely open to everybody and they’re usually great to spectate and easy to reach. You can check them here: https://www.rallydeportugal.pt/contentlist.aspx?menuid=52

Btw, have a great rally!

lankey555
25th May 2019, 20:39
I take it the passes that are available on the Rally Portugal web site are for special spectator areas??

EstWRC
27th May 2019, 07:19

So all new stages for everyone on Friday and with no service. Will be crucial and important day then, we saw how the young lads suffered in Chile with the new stages and pacenotes.

Ogier is the favourite for me, the dude just loves this rally and he is the record holder here together with Alen.

It will be interesting to see if Loeb can now be right up to speed from the first moment, if he can, then i wouldnt be surprised if he is in the lead after friday considering his starting position.

Another one to watch is Neuville, will the big crash have an affect on him or not?

I think Ott is happy that the friday stages are new, he didnt get to drive any of the stages last year after that big rock took him out.

All in all another cracking event coming up!

Rally Power
27th May 2019, 14:06
So all new stages for everyone on Friday and with no service. Will be crucial and important day then, we saw how the young lads suffered in Chile with the new stages and pacenotes.

Ogier is the favourite for me, the dude just loves this rally and he is the record holder here together with Alen.

It will be interesting to see if Loeb can now be right up to speed from the first moment, if he can, then i wouldnt be surprised if he is in the lead after friday considering his starting position. (...)

All in all another cracking event coming up!

Honestly, as long Citroen and Hyundai can’t make their cars as fast as the Yaris, Tanak seems to still be the favourite.

Btw, for Loeb the whole event is new (apart a sprint version of Fafe stage) once he only run during Algarve’s years and having a proper setup since the start will be a challenge not only for him but for all the others; if they fail to get it they’ll be struggling the whole first leg.

On having another cracking event I totally agree with you; that’s what we’re all hoping for and is making us eager to spend 3 days eating dust!

mknight
27th May 2019, 16:52
Loeb should be able to lead after Friday or be around top 3. The big question is how he will do on Saturday and Sunday on stages that others know very well.

Btw. other drivers also know parts of friday as they were often used for testing during last years.

This likely being the first rally with real road cleaning since Mexico I doubt Ogier can win. All Toyotas are one big question mark with their reliability on rough rallies. Especially since some of the friday section seem very rough.

Rally Power
27th May 2019, 21:54
WRC2 Monday test; video by Rally Mania: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1__VGBjIDtI

er88
27th May 2019, 23:52
Thierry could be strong here. Hyundai go well in Portugal and he's 3rd on the road so not too bad. There's actually not much actual cleaning on Friday anyway, unless maybe the 2nd pass will still be bad?

As Mknight says, Toyota can't be counted on for not having reliability issues so it's hard to predict - especially if the first day could be a bit rough. Would be nice to see Jari or Lappi get up at the sharp end and take advantage of their road position, and get over the poor starts to their seasons. Don't hold out too much hope though.

Expect Hyundai to have a strong rally with Neuville and Loeb challenging at the top and Sordo likes this rally too. Ogier will be there or thereabouts.

mknight
28th May 2019, 06:21
While Sordo is normally guaranteed for 4-5 place on the rallies he likes last year Portugal was actually his worst rally of the season in terms of pace. After the friday carnage he was expected to easily secure 2nd, especially based on his Mexico and Argentina performance that year. But he got beaten by both Evans and Suninen and stayed only barely ahead of Lappi. That was without any pressure since he was not manu nominated, Tänak was out and Ogier out of points.
Though he got also hit by "penalty wars" for moving a barrel on the friday SS that got announced first on Sunday morning (or Saturday evening) . At that time it looked really petty since as mentioned he wasn't nominated and wasn't doing full season anyway, but it probably was MSports payback for Ogiers penalty in Mexico.

EstWRC
28th May 2019, 07:32
Honestly, as long Citroen and Hyundai can’t make their cars as fast as the Yaris, Tanak seems to still be the favourite.

Although Portugal is Tänaks one of favourite events, and he made his debut there, so far there hasnt been much love between him and Rally Portugal.

The speed has been there but there have always been some mistakes and unlucky moments. His best result so far is "only" 4th in 2017.

2014 - huge crash at the same place where Latvala had his in 2009. But until that pretty impressive ride, considering it was only his second rally in a WRC machine after a year out, was second after day one and before the crash was third.
2015 - nice steady run and 5th in the end.
2016 - that unfortunate crash and dramatic fire because of that nasty bump which lifted the car and where he and Paddon went off.
2017 - when battling with Ogier made a little but very costly mistake when he went a bit wide in the right hand corner and hit the bank which damaged the suspension. 4th in the end
2018 - well, we all remember that humongous rock which ended his rally already after some kilometres.

maybe 2019 is finally his year? we will see.

Ogier is definitely the favourite for me, he is just so strong on this event, won it in 2017 while being first on the road.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th May 2019, 12:12
The best thing about this and every 2019 rally is that there is no clear favourite.

All of the 'Big 3' can win any event, plus two or three others can have a chance. Best keep the guesswork for pickems.

doubled1978
29th May 2019, 13:57
I’m interested to see how Greensmith gets on this weekend....I hope he has enough budget to be able to really push and give it a go and afford any damage that comes. Crawling round like Tidemand did won’t do him any good and he should have a good road position.

Rallyper
29th May 2019, 14:57
I’m interested to see how Greensmith gets on this weekend....I hope he has enough budget to be able to really push and give it a go and afford any damage that comes. Crawling round like Tidemand did won’t do him any good and he should have a good road position.

For sure he´ll be top three guy at once. And you´re right it´s a budget thing... :(

doubled1978
29th May 2019, 15:19
For sure he´ll be top three guy at once. And you´re right it´s a budget thing... :(

I hope he shows well, as Sunninen did in Poland, and then Finland in 2017...you could see that he was driving a little bit over his limit, but he held on didn’t bin it, and it’s paid off for him.
Maybe Tidemand will look back in hindsight and wish he chose different events..Portugal and Sardinia back to back would perhaps have been easier to show something.

pantealex
29th May 2019, 15:20

Well, he must be much faster than R5 and even that isn´t easy task.

doubled1978
29th May 2019, 15:24

I hope he shows well, as Sunninen did in Poland, and then Finland in 2017...you could see that he was driving a little bit over his limit, but he held on didn’t bin it, and it’s paid off for him.
Maybe Tidemand will look back in hindsight and wish he chose different events..Portugal and Sardinia back to back would perhaps have been easier to show something.

Tarmop
29th May 2019, 15:44
Sweden, his home-event, with good smooth surface and some protective snowbanks was quite logical and perfect...
Are there any news about Tidemand? There were talks about maybe 6 outings this year, in the beginning of the year.

Rallyper
29th May 2019, 17:15
Sweden, his home-event, with good smooth surface and some protective snowbanks was quite logical and perfect...
Are there any news about Tidemand? There were talks about maybe 6 outings this year, in the beginning of the year.

Haven´t heard anything, but I´m sure it´s about money.
And with funding for one or two rallies, you will never end up in the top.

mknight
29th May 2019, 17:30
Greensmith has to show speed, a stage or even a split section would work.
Road position should help but it will be very hard. Then again in his case with own funding it's maybe not so critical.

As for Tidemand I warned already when the two starts were announced in January that I really hope he has a real program what to do after those two events... other than expect that some money will suddenly show up. So far it doesn't look like it.

racerx1979
29th May 2019, 19:35
Greensmith will be lucky if he can be in the top 5-6 at any moment in the rally. He will be nowhere close in the long gravel stages. Will be minutes behind. It's part of the game. WRC is a completely different level. Most newcomers will struggle. Suninen is just a really talented driver. Lappi had some good testing with the Yaris before he drove his first event. GG is nowhere near these guys. Just my opinion, but hope I am wrong.

EstWRC
29th May 2019, 19:40
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7wUDBSXoAABFtY.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7wUDDLWsAAuyyV.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7wUDCQWsAE7oqh.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7wYrCkWsAEibr3.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7wTdR7WwAAh6uM.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7sW5dmWwAI6nNG.jpg

Allez Andruet
29th May 2019, 20:11
For me the most interesting thing this weekend will be Lappi's performance. His road position should be quite perfect and there aren't that many additional excuses available. It's his third time in Portugal in a World Rally Car, and after a dreadful start of the season (excl. the somewhat-lucky-second in Sweden) it's more than about time to actually deliver something for the team.

mknight
29th May 2019, 20:24
While obviously not a good season for Lappi he did actually manage 2nd place in his 2nd start in the car, no matter how lucky (with the friday semi-roll), he is still relatively new and changed teams.

If you want to focus on Finnish drivers why not talk about the elephant in the room?

EstWRC
29th May 2019, 20:45
Tänak saying to estonian media that Friday will be very hard for the frontrunners because it has been so warm and dry. Expects Saturday to be the roughest for the cars.

Allez Andruet
29th May 2019, 20:48
While obviously not a good season for Lappi he did actually manage 2nd place in his 2nd start in the car, no matter how lucky (with the friday semi-roll), he is still relatively new and changed teams.

If you want to focus on Finnish drivers why not talk about the elephant in the room?

So far Lappi's had six outings in his new team. To manage to get one 2nd place out of those is not exactly a championship caliber resume, if you ask me.

No need to focus on Finnish drivers. I'd much rather talk about Elephant Stone if that's the theme.

doubled1978
29th May 2019, 21:35
Haven´t heard anything, but I´m sure it´s about money.
And with funding for one or two rallies, you will never end up in the top.

His lack of speed on the two rallies won’t have made finding further funding any easier...it seems if you go down the rental route, you have to be prepared to play high stakes or you just won’t impress anyone. If he set a few fast times but had a few incidents, he might have done enough for someone to give him a test at least..

doubled1978
29th May 2019, 21:41

I know that Sweden was of course as a one off an easy choice, and probably he found some sponsors because of that, but I’m just saying that now if he could have had his chance over again, would he think that doing two rallies such as Portugal and Sardinia back to back, similar set-up, testing relevant to both events etc, would he have had a better chance to prove himself....

doubled1978
29th May 2019, 21:46
For me the most interesting thing this weekend will be Lappi's performance. His road position should be quite perfect and there aren't that many additional excuses available. It's his third time in Portugal in a World Rally Car, and after a dreadful start of the season (excl. the somewhat-lucky-second in Sweden) it's more than about time to actually deliver something for the team.

Personally I think it just shows how tricky the C3 is to set-up and drive fast on all surfaces. Ogier in my opinion has been immense this year to keep dragging the results from it, but even he is having plenty of moments along the way...

doubled1978
29th May 2019, 21:56
Greensmith will be lucky if he can be in the top 5-6 at any moment in the rally. He will be nowhere close in the long gravel stages. Will be minutes behind. It's part of the game. WRC is a completely different level. Most newcomers will struggle. Suninen is just a really talented driver. Lappi had some good testing with the Yaris before he drove his first event. GG is nowhere near these guys. Just my opinion, but hope I am wrong.

You may be right, but I hope not...it’s always good to see someone new come in and do something impressive. I like Greensmith, I doubt if he is the next big thing, but let’s see how he goes...and not write him off after 1 outing if it doesn’t work out. We have a few young guys to look forward to seeing in a WRC car over the next few years, Huttunen, Rovanpera, Solberg and maybe others...let’s hope 1 or 2 of them really take the fight to the establishment.

AnttiL
30th May 2019, 06:26
About Greensmith, I think he will be off the pace and he knows it, and won’t even try too much. Will be similar to Tidemand.

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 07:33
live https://www.facebook.com/messages/t/thread:429199223911573

i dont get whats the beef with wrc.com and Tänak, this is like third rally in the row where they dont show him on shakedown live and all the others are shown

E: Loeb also not shown, what a mess

wrc2017
30th May 2019, 07:43
live https://www.facebook.com/messages/t/thread:429199223911573

i dont get whats the beef with wrc.com and Tänak, this is like third rally in the row where they dont show him on shakedown live and all the others are shown

E: Loeb also not shown, what a mess
I think its only a systems check for WRC, its should be more, but its not even streamed live on wrc.com

wrc2017
30th May 2019, 07:44
Toyotas looking strong out of the blocks

mknight
30th May 2019, 07:46
After being watered the SD is smooth, not breaking up or cleaning much (yet) and wide+fast. Quite different than the rally.

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 07:54
first run, good start from Greensmith

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7zFD8PXkAEyvZg.png

wrc2017
30th May 2019, 08:03
After being watered the SD is smooth, not breaking up or cleaning much (yet) and wide+fast. Quite different than the rally.

Would have suited Mikkelsen

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 08:20
pause on shakedown because of some safety reasons

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 08:31
back on now and Ogier and Tänak have made their second runs https://www.ewrc-results.com/shake/54466-vodafone-rally-de-portugal-2019/

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 09:16
Finally neuville and suninen beat Ott’s time from the first pass. About time

Rallyper
30th May 2019, 09:16
Don´t forget to do your Pickems as well!! Closing time 23.00 CET tonight.

RS
30th May 2019, 09:55
Only shakedown but a good showing by Greensmith so far.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th May 2019, 10:09
Meeke:
First thoughts after the recce and shakedown are that it’s going to be a hot, tough, dusty & difficult @rallydeportugal 💪☀️ 🇵🇹 #KM5

Fast Eddie WRC
30th May 2019, 10:10
Ogier:
The shakedown is not really representative because conditions are actually quite ok, but tomorrow should be a hard day for us. We'll have to fight very hard to try and pick up a better start position for Saturday. https://t.co/eKTPGhIR6P

er88
30th May 2019, 10:13
Just the two passes by the Toyota trio?

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 10:21
Just the two passes by the Toyota trio?

Evans also with only two so far. Three is mandatory

racerx1979
30th May 2019, 10:24
Loeb 4th in shakedown should be scary for others. He's usually way off pace and then builds up. If he's 4th or 5th shakedown he might just win this rally haha... joking ofcourse, but still, others should be worried :laugh::laugh:

Fast Eddie WRC
30th May 2019, 10:57
Clip
What’s it like to step up to WRC? @GreensmithGus is in the top class for the first time at @rallydeportugal #WRCLive https://t.co/gdkEaiIMjb

mknight
30th May 2019, 11:14
Loeb 4th in shakedown should be scary for others. He's usually way off pace and then builds up. If he's 4th or 5th shakedown he might just win this rally haha... joking ofcourse, but still, others should be worried :laugh::laugh:

He was slowest WRC in first 3 passes... so it is normal SD for him this year. How he does on rally is a wild guess based on that.

dimviii
30th May 2019, 12:31
https://youtu.be/sSKb_XprLKA

dimviii
30th May 2019, 12:33
2091/5000
"It's all right, we're back 100% in shape, I had to get well and I'm looking after my feet during the two weeks of break, it did not leave a trace in my head: we were able to the test session and we found good settings.The pitch should not be too bad for us, "said Neuville at the microphone of our colleague Olivier Gaspard, special correspondent of the RTBF in Portugal.

The Belgian is now third in the league with 110 points, behind the six-time French world champion Sébastien Ogier (122 pts) and Estonian Ott Tanak (112 pts). "I have no more pressure, we know that the upcoming rallies are good for us, we won both last season (Portugal and Sardinia). slower than the cars behind us At the level of the championship, I think I have a small advantage over Ogier and Tanak.The two rallies that come, we will have to score big points for the championships.We know however that it will be difficult to settle in front and to dig gaps because there is some sweeping on the next races From Finland, it will be necessary to try to take a little difference My top 3 at the end of the rally Ogier Tanak and we ourselves will be on the podium, but Meeke has always been fast here and we could also see a Sordo or a Loeb ", added our compatriot.

Finally, the Hyundai rider came back on some details of the Portuguese course: "Friday, it will be a mix of narrow, winding specials, the longest in the loop is only 18 km, with some fast, but quite technical parts. to say if the second pass will still be brittle, the organizers have worked on the stages, there is a huge layer of sand on the road, it was hard during the first reconnaissance pass, but a lot more flexible then. A lot of surprises, we often have the feeling of riding on the beach, and on Saturdays it's hard to know if it's better to go first or last.

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/moteurs/rallye/wrc/detail_neuville-marquer-de-gros-points-durant-les-deux-prochains-rallyes?id=10234366&fbclid=IwAR2htQ8EaDfR3EgnP5YoDxkaja43_qstvfBnb50tQ nsCnUJnNhkshm--nVM

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 12:36
https://youtu.be/tX-9tT_tEpY
https://youtu.be/Fahl_3ymd3Q

dimviii
30th May 2019, 12:37
https://youtu.be/tX-9tT_tEpY

https://youtu.be/Fahl_3ymd3Q

dimviii
30th May 2019, 12:41
Interview with Sébastien Ogier.

In an exclusive interview in Portugal, the six-time world champion recalls his retirement late next season without trying to equal the record of 9 titles of Seb Loeb, the greatest importance of the driver in rally compared to F1 or even his unfriendly relationship with his great rival Thierry Neuville he considers to be an "excellent driver".

"But I like Belgium where there are a lot of rally fans, even though I guess I have few fans at the moment.

video at link
https://www.dhnet.be/sports/moteurs/wrc/sebastien-ogier-j-arreterai-le-wrc-quoi-qu-il-arrive-fin-2020-5cef96387b50a62b5b986c0c

racerx1979
30th May 2019, 14:01
He was slowest WRC in first 3 passes... so it is normal SD for him this year. How he does on rally is a wild guess based on that.

It was a joke. Guess my sarcasm didn't come through

Rallyper
30th May 2019, 15:22
Six hours until Pickems Rally Portugal closes at 2300 hrs CET. Make your PICKEMS!!

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 15:28
Q:
How was your pre-event test? What is the strategy for this weekend? Have you had specific instructions from the team?
GG:
It would be a waste to put in into the trees. For me, this chance to drive is important and I need to get the experience. I have the knowledge of the stages on Saturday and Sunday and I will try and progress my speed as the weekend goes on. The car is easier to drive and it’s easier to find the limits, but a test is very different to a rally. The pace-notes need to be working.

the rest https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-rally-portugal-press-conference

shakedown re-live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IvjKFDpdqw
Neuville onboard from shakedown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3lnyQDi-dc

shakedown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlgvLPXcmQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKFQfhn1ugI

https://scontent.fhen1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61615637_10156444079420678_8968071308105482240_o.j pg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fhen1-1.fna&oh=5030515ae619396f5b855b10788664dd&oe=5D58CC54

flykas
30th May 2019, 16:14
"the six-time world champion recalls his retirement late next season without trying to equal the record of 9 titles of Seb Loeb"

what?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it.

mknight
30th May 2019, 17:15
Why is Ogier talking about staving tires on tarmac on SD when they have a separate allocation just for SD?

AnttiL
30th May 2019, 17:18
Why is Ogier talking about staving tires on tarmac on SD when they have a separate allocation just for SD?

Saving for later runs?

dimviii
30th May 2019, 19:15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D70sa7CVsAAZVyu.jpg

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 19:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWHpRdzL_g

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D71gKVAWkAECxOL.jpg

dimviii
30th May 2019, 19:50
@EstWRC did you saw the roof? speechless!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D71f8RdXsAIMDqw.jpg

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 19:57
yeah, definitely amazing building but it is so weird to see them there.

dimviii
30th May 2019, 20:16
https://www.ewrc.cz/images/2019/photos/vodafone_rally_de_portugal_2019/hfr_dsc_4697.jpg
https://www.ewrc.cz/images/2019/photos/vodafone_rally_de_portugal_2019/hfr_dsc_4683.jpg
https://www.ewrc.cz/images/2019/photos/vodafone_rally_de_portugal_2019/hfr_dsc_4676.jpg
https://www.ewrc.cz/images/2019/photos/vodafone_rally_de_portugal_2019/hfr_dsc_4438.jpg

https://www.ewrc.cz/foto/54466-vodafone-rally-de-portugal-2019/515/

dimviii
30th May 2019, 20:28
Reiger for champs c3

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D71nkQtX4AACrud.jpg

er88
30th May 2019, 21:00
Latvala with his brilliant road position to be a threat for the win here? Drivers all suggesting tomorrow will be very tough on the first cars

Katvala
30th May 2019, 21:33
As much as I'd love to see that, I have my doubts

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

EstWRC
30th May 2019, 21:37
Drivers want bigger gaps https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/143759/wrc-crews-want-larger-order-gaps-due-to-dust

steve.mandzij
30th May 2019, 22:50
Latvala with his brilliant road position to be a threat for the win here? Drivers all suggesting tomorrow will be very tough on the first carsI voted him in my pickems :D his shakedown pace isn't promising, whether the stage is representative or not, but he's always done badly on rallies where he wins shakedown and he's been strong here historically. His pace in the last two rallies was quite good as well.

As usual, anything goes with him, but he's in a good position indeed.

RallyNZ
31st May 2019, 06:00

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure, shakedown gives you the allocation but they can then be used at anytime, shakedown or event. If you don't scuff them up too bad you then have more tyres for the event.

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 08:58
Moooorning guys, 15 minutes until action starts

Michelin Motorsport

Verified account

@Michelin_Sport
Following Following @Michelin_Sport
More
#tyre choice - Day 1 Morning

All the Michelin @OfficialWRC drivers with 5 MICHELIN LTX Force M6 (medium)

racerx1979
31st May 2019, 09:11
4 minute gaps awarded

Rallyper
31st May 2019, 09:18
Good morning friends of rallying. Here we go. Another day full of surprises, maybe, ahead... :) :)

AnttiL
31st May 2019, 09:19
Tänak was much neater than Ogier in the first junction onto gravel

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 09:19
and still there is some dust for Tänak

thankg god they listened to drivers

Rallyper
31st May 2019, 09:20
and still there is some dust for Tänak

thankg god they listened to drivers

and not only for him I guess... ;)

AnttiL
31st May 2019, 09:22
Tänak almost second per kilometre faster at first split

er88
31st May 2019, 09:23
Tanak 4s up at first split.

AnttiL
31st May 2019, 09:23
This stage could be among the slowest of the rally, narrow and twisty. Next one is faster, Arganil is then a mix of slow and fast.

racerx1979
31st May 2019, 09:24
Ogier will struggle badly today

er88
31st May 2019, 09:25
He's not happy...

Allez Andruet
31st May 2019, 09:25
Neuville slower than Ogier

wrc2017
31st May 2019, 09:26
Neuvile puncutre?

wrc2017
Tanak 9s up..

Rallyper
Neuville is quite slow...

AnttiL
Neuville slower than Ogier

Problems? Gilsoul asking Neuville "is it OK?"

er88
31st May 2019, 09:27
Tanak superb here. Neuville wasn't ok, steering looked off so maybe puncture?

Allez Andruet
31st May 2019, 09:28
What a run by Tänak (once again).

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 09:29
weird question for Tänak from Colin

Oliverk
31st May 2019, 09:30
weird question for Tänak from Colin

What did he ask? I have no sound in office.

Gevin
31st May 2019, 09:30
SPL2 Neuville +9,3s so all ok.

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 09:31
What did he ask? I have no sound in office.

"Are you okay?"

Tänak also looked him like what the hell? Answered that everything is good.

i think Neuville is just cautious on first stages

Rallyper
31st May 2019, 09:37
What´s wrong with Kris?

er88
Lol Meeeke

racerx1979
Best comment from Meeke :)

Gevin
Still mad at penalty he got in Chile :D "Is my windscreen okay?" Only thing he said :D

er88
31st May 2019, 09:38
What´s wrong with Kris?Having a dig at Clark over his comments about the windscreen in Chile

Allez Andruet
Meeke trying to be funny? Based on that one, I hope he's not quitting the WRC anytime soon for a second career in stand-up comedy.

AnttiL
Loeb quite slow at first split

EstWRC
Evans only +0.6 in second split

KKS
31st May 2019, 09:40
another not suited rally for Hyundai?

Allez Andruet
Nice one by Evans.

Gevin
He started same way at Chile :)

er88
We'll probably not get to see the back guys before they switch to the next stage

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 09:41
how come the late starters arent faster? i dont get this, you can see how sandy and dusty it is

Rallyper
31st May 2019, 09:42
Loeb quite slow at first split

Under the circumstanses I think he´s doing well. So early to judge from a couple of K´s...

Allez Andruet
31st May 2019, 09:42
Lappi! Nice first split!

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 09:43
now, let see what Jari can do

Fast Eddie WRC
31st May 2019, 09:44
how come the late starters arent faster? i dont get this, you can see how sandy and dusty it is

Visibility maybe.

Tauri_J
they are, its just Ott is from another world

racerx1979
now, let see what Jari can do

You just cursed him haha. Remember I heard rumors TGR has told JML to be calm at stage end or something along those lines. Will we see a calm and collected JML??

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 09:45
You just cursed him haha. Remember I heard rumors TGR has told JML to be calm at stage end or something along those lines. Will we see a calm and collected JML??

just +0.8 in first split

Gevin
31st May 2019, 09:47
Lets see what Latvala and Suninen doing now :)

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 09:49
Lappi sain its not cleaning that much as expected

racerx1979
Lappi saying road not cleaning. Which makes sense

er88
Lappi sain its not cleaning that much as expectedSeeing a few shots from on-board it looks the case, no regular clean line - only in some places

Back markers will still be able to take advantage of where it is cleaning though. Might just take more cars

Allez Andruet
31st May 2019, 09:50
Teemu! WOW!

EstWRC
Finally someone faster than Tänak!

AnttiL
Suninen flying

Allez Andruet
31st May 2019, 09:51
Come on Teemu, show 'em!

racerx1979
31st May 2019, 09:52
Go Teemu!

Will GG beat Ogier it Loeb with his road position??

Fast Eddie WRC
31st May 2019, 09:52
They arent showing the early part with the dust.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st May 2019, 09:53
Latvala says the road IS cleaning...

Allez Andruet
31st May 2019, 09:54
Sordo fastest in first split :o

er88
Big cleaning now

AnttiL
Sordo even quicker

Tauri_J
Its obvious its cleaning, but not as much as Lappi expected.

Rallyper
Finally someone faster than Tänak!

He hasn´t reached stagefinish yet... Let´s wait... ;)

EstWRC
31st May 2019, 09:55
of course its cleaning but not that much as drivers and everyone expected

racerx1979
31st May 2019, 09:56
Cleaning is big now. Maybe after Lappi the big cleaning starts...

Fast Eddie WRC
Dust still bad though.

AnttiL
Well done Teemu!

Rallyper
Fords seems to work well in Portugal.

Tauri_J
31st May 2019, 09:57
Cleaning is big now. Maybe after Lappi the big cleaning starts...

lol

er88
Good time Suninen and Sordo coming fast as well

EstWRC
Gus faster than EVans in first split

AnttiL
Greensmith first split quite competitive!

Allez Andruet
31st May 2019, 09:58
Sordo flying! How about that...