PDA

View Full Version : WRC2 Pro & WRC2 2019

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

AnttiL
5th December 2018, 13:27
I think it's time to open a new thread for this. So far we don't even know the regulations of WRC2 Pro nor any drivers or even teams apart from Skoda's Jan Kopecky and Kalle Rovanperä. Also, it's reported (https://www.diariomotor.com/competicion/noticia/m-sport-negociar-con-sebastien-loeb/) that Gus Greensmith should be M-Sport's WRC2 Pro driver.

deephouse
5th December 2018, 18:50
And speculation of new manufacturer entry. Possibly Proton or VW. Then let's say that there is Skoda, Hyundai, Citroen and M-Sport in the fight, all teams will need minimum of two drivers. Three seats are already taken and many will seeking oportunities like Kajetanowicz, Gauraav, Tidemand, Camilli, Huttunen, Ingram, Veiby, Lefebvre,... (maybe even Paddon, Breen or Ostberg since their careers is uncertain at the moment).

Essaj
5th December 2018, 19:00
Huttunen is with Hyundai and I can't see Veiby anywhere else then Citroen

Mirek
5th December 2018, 22:53
VW officially rulled out championship entry. They spoke only about selected events for promotion of the new car (several WRC events, Barum, Ypres etc.).

RS
6th December 2018, 00:42
Rules announced today for WRC2 Pro are a bit meh.

It's basically the same as WRC2 with two aditional scores counted with one being outside europe.

KiwiWRCfan
6th December 2018, 01:29

It's basically the same as WRC2 with two aditional scores counted with one being outside europe.

what were you hoping for ?

the sniper
6th December 2018, 03:41

Glad someone else thinks that. To me it's an important opportunity wasted by the Promoter, FIA and sport in general, they really should have focused on this chance to strengthen the depth of the WRC, particularly given the lack of entries in the main class next year. While I appreciate the cost ramifications, a "Pro" Championship should have followed all 14 rounds. The Promoter really should have worked hard to incentivise every current R5 manufacture to run at least two cars, particularly by offering far more comprehensive media coverage of the class. If you look at how many rallies the main 'works' (fully, semi or privately funded) WRC2 drivers did last year, many of them did around nine or ten rallies (not all WRC). With a mixture of some more manufacturer funding and private driver funding, with value being added to the Championship, is it really inconceivable that a full season couldn't be achieved?

As it is, WRC2 Pro suffers from the same problems as WRC2, but will have fewer entries making its weaknesses all the more apparent. I don't know how you can cohesively cover this 'professional' Championship coverage wise when crews and now whole manufacturer teams are missing various random rounds and competitors for the Championship regularly don't actually compete against each other... It's a mess. If they were going to do this half arsed, they should have not bothered at all.

AnttiL
6th December 2018, 06:19
Glad someone else thinks that. To me it's an important opportunity wasted by the Promoter, FIA and sport in general, they really should have focused on this chance to strengthen the depth of the WRC, particularly given the lack of entries in the main class next year. While I appreciate the cost ramifications, a "Pro" Championship should have followed all 14 rounds. The Promoter really should have worked hard to incentivise every current R5 manufacture to run at least two cars, particularly by offering far more comprehensive media coverage of the class. If you look at how many rallies the main 'works' (fully, semi or privately funded) WRC2 drivers did last year, many of them did around nine or ten rallies (not all WRC). With a mixture of some more manufacturer funding and private driver funding, with value being added to the Championship, is it really inconceivable that a full season couldn't be achieved?

As it is, WRC2 Pro suffers from the same problems as WRC2, but will have fewer entries making its weaknesses all the more apparent. I don't know how you can cohesively cover this 'professional' Championship coverage wise when crews and now whole manufacturer teams are missing various random rounds and competitors for the Championship regularly don't actually compete against each other... It's a mess. If they were going to do this half arsed, they should have not bothered at all.

This is just unrealistic. The promoter should have financed half season for every team?

Rovanperä did one local rally in Germany and one in Finland in addition to 7 WRC events. Kopecky did the Czech championship, which is probably easy to obtain sponsors for, considering he's a Czech driver driving a Czech car and the reigning champion. Additionally, a WRC round is probably as expensive as 3 small one day rallies, or even more.

Mirek
6th December 2018, 08:43
Rovanperä did one local rally in Germany and one in Finland in addition to 7 WRC events. Kopecky did the Czech championship, which is probably easy to obtain sponsors for, considering he's a Czech driver driving a Czech car and the reigning champion. Additionally, a WRC round is probably as expensive as 3 small one day rallies, or even more.

Actually Škoda's Czech championship is paid from completely different sources. It's not done using Motorsport department budget but it's fully paid by marketing department of Škoda Czech Republic local office. The car is also serviced by Kopecký's own team instead of the works team. Therefore events run in CZ are largely irrelevant to whatever they do in WRC except when there is a clash of calendars.

AnttiL
6th December 2018, 09:14
Actually Škoda's Czech championship is paid from completely different sources. It's not done using Motorsport department budget but it's fully paid by marketing department of Škoda Czech Republic local office. The car is also serviced by Kopecký's own team instead of the works team. Therefore events run in CZ are largely irrelevant to whatever they do in WRC except when there is a clash of calendars.

Yeah, that’s what I meant to say. Rovanperä also run a private car in Monte.

Rovanperä had a pretty extensive program in 2017 but it was an investment from his backers (Jouhki et al). Other than that it’s rare that a driver does 14 rallies a year in an R5, let alone 14 WRC events!

Simmi
6th December 2018, 10:39
Unless the promoter expand the coverage for WRC2 next year across their platforms all they're effectively going to do is half the (already minimal) exposure for any privateers. It's crying out for a dedicated YouTube WRC2 review. This really should have been in place years ago. JWRC had it. I assume Dmack probably used to pay for that though. Maybe the manufacturers would have to pool together to pay for the edit to be made. Just seems daft if the coverage remains at 3x 1min highlight packages across the weekend.

deephouse
6th December 2018, 13:15
VW officially rulled out championship entry. They spoke only about selected events for promotion of the new car (several WRC events, Barum, Ypres etc.).

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june/vw-extends/page/1468--12-12-.html Nothing is sure from their mouths. At the end of 2016 they suddenly pull the plug.

Mirek
6th December 2018, 13:38
That's incomparable situation.

Rally Power
6th December 2018, 15:14
This is just unrealistic.

Btw, is there a limit for manus max rally entries or a manus max results number over a season? If there isn't, why limit Pro drivers entries or results and avoid a more direct confrontation between them during the season?

I understand sniper view; if the purpose is to have a manus series, the 14 events should be mandatory and 2 cars as well. Still, I’d prefer to keep a sole WRC2 series with only 8 mandatory events, 6 of them also counting for a privateer cup (a bit like U28 inside overall ERC). Anyway, let's hope WRC2 Pro works and gets a decent exposure this time; the same for WRC2.

Rally Power
6th December 2018, 15:30

Can’t a top private team make a deal with VW and run WRC2 Pro as a semi-works team? VW would only need to register the team entry in the series and give some tech support. That’s what Loeb’s team has been doing in the WTCR (in that case manus entries aren’t formally allowed).

pantealex
6th December 2018, 16:12
VW privateer is aiming to WRC2 PRO.

I understand that they can drive as many events they want but 8 best scores counted for PRO and for normal WRC2 6 best scores from 7 first starts.

"Competitors in the newly-created FIA WRC 2 Pro Championship are permitted to enter two R5 cars per team and must participate in a minimum of seven rounds with one car – including one event outside Europe. For the Drivers’ and Co-drivers’ Championships, the eight best scores will count towards the titles, while the highest placed car(s) in each team will score points in the FIA WRC 2 Pro Championship for Manufacturers. Competitors will have P2P status, be permitted one day of testing per event per driver, and will start in Championship order after the P1 drivers on the first day of competition. On days two and three, crews will start after the P1 group, in classification order.

The FIA WRC 2 Championship, now solely for drivers and co-drivers, will have no minimum number of events, although the first six scores from seven entered rounds will count towards the titles. Competitors will be permitted one day of pre-event testing and will start in Championship order after the P2P group, and on days two and three after the P2P group in classification order. No WRC 2 registration fee will be requested from competitors who hold a licence from the ASN of the organising country for the first event in which they participate."

Mirek
6th December 2018, 16:19
Can’t a top private team make a deal with VW and run WRC2 Pro as a semi-works team? VW would only need to register the team entry in the series and give some tech support. That’s what Loeb’s team has been doing in the WTCR (in that case manus entries aren’t formally allowed).

Sure it's possible to do it that way.

Mirek
6th December 2018, 16:20
I understand that they can drive as many events they want but 8 best scores counted for PRO and for normal WRC2 6 best scores from 7 first starts.

If so it's quite ridiculously wrong.

RS
6th December 2018, 16:23
Yeah, that’s what I meant to say. Rovanperä also run a private car in Monte.

Rovanperä had a pretty extensive program in 2017 but it was an investment from his backers (Jouhki et al). Other than that it’s rare that a driver does 14 rallies a year in an R5, let alone 14 WRC events!

It's true each Skoda driver only did around 7 events, but Skoda Motorsport sent at least two cars to every WRC2 Rally bar Australia if memory serves correct. Now they have only two works drivers instead of five..

I would have liked WRC2 Pro to be like "WRC for R5 cars".. ie. no dropped scores bullshit (maybe not follow full WRC calendar though), include powerstage..

We can't talk about coverage yet as we don't know what they have planned. Let's hope it's more than 40s daily coverage WRC2 gets, aside from some appearances on live stages when they run out of world rally cars.

AnttiL
6th December 2018, 16:25

This is pretty much how the main championship was 1979-1993

Mirek
6th December 2018, 16:34
This is pretty much how the main championship was 1979-1993

That doesn't make it right. Let's look at it realistically. Who can realistically send cars to every WRC event out of possible WRC2 Pro entrants? I would say only Škoda.

AnttiL
6th December 2018, 16:43
It's true each Skoda driver only did around 7 events, but Skoda Motorsport sent at least two cars to every WRC2 Rally bar Australia if memory serves correct. Now they have only two works drivers instead of five..

Rovanperä 6
Kopecky 6
Tidemand 6
Veiby 4 WRC + 2 CZ
Nordgren 1 WRC + 2 CZ + 1 ITA

In total 23 WRC starts.

deephouse
6th December 2018, 17:53
That doesn't make it right. Let's look at it realistically. Who can realistically send cars to every WRC event out of possible WRC2 Pro entrants? I would say only Škoda.

Not necessary. Hyundai could do it too. They have currently 4+1 drivers (if we count Huttunen too). Only Neuville is settlet for a full WRC season. Sordo, Paddon, Mikkelsen could rotate over seats and mybe they could put them in R5 whenever they will not be driving WRC car. Huttunen in second R5 or maybe one WRC start.

Rally Power
6th December 2018, 18:03
[QUOTE=pantealex;1201585]I understand that they can drive as many events they want but 8 best scores counted for PRO and for normal WRC2 6 best scores from 7 first starts./QUOTE]

Ok, that’s drivers series, but what about the manus championship? It’s 1 car result per event; can 14 results count or is there also a limit?

pantealex
6th December 2018, 18:17

"eight best scores will count towards the title"

SKODA CUP 2019

pantealex
6th December 2018, 18:21
[QUOTE/QUOTE]

Ok, that’s drivers series, but what about the manus championship? It’s 1 car result per event; can 14 results count or is there also a limit?

"highest placed car(s) in each team will score points in the FIA WRC 2 Pro Championship for Manufacturers. "

It´s 2 cars result per event, doesn´t say how many events manufacturers can count.

AnttiL
6th December 2018, 18:22
"highest placed car(s) in each team will score points in the FIA WRC 2 Pro Championship for Manufacturers. "

It´s 2 cars result per event, doesn´t say how many events manufacturers can count.

I don't get that. If they can enter 2 cars at max, why say the highest placed cars score manu points? It must mean that only one car scores manu points.

pantealex
6th December 2018, 18:25
"Competitors in the newly-created FIA WRC 2 Pro Championship are permitted to enter two R5 cars per team and must participate in a minimum of seven rounds with one car – including one event outside Europe. For the Drivers’ and Co-drivers’ Championships, the eight best scores will count towards the titles, while the highest placed car(s) in each team will score points in the FIA WRC 2 Pro Championship for Manufacturers. Competitors will have P2P status, be permitted one day of testing per event per driver, and will start in Championship order after the P1 drivers on the first day of competition. On days two and three, crews will start after the P1 group, in classification order.

The FIA WRC 2 Championship, now solely for drivers and co-drivers, will have no minimum number of events, although the first six scores from seven entered rounds will count towards the titles. Competitors will be permitted one day of pre-event testing and will start in Championship order after the P2P group, and on days two and three after the P2P group in classification order. No WRC 2 registration fee will be requested from competitors who hold a licence from the ASN of the organising country for the first event in which they participate."

Read those rules and speculate after reading how you understand those.

pantealex
6th December 2018, 18:28
I don't get that. If they can enter 2 cars at max, why say the highest placed cars score manu points? It must mean that only one car scores manu points.

It would say just highest placed car in each team will score points if it means 1 car now it´s car(s) so must mean 2 if Team has 2, 1 if Team has only 1

AnttiL
6th December 2018, 18:35
It would say just highest placed car in each team will score points if it means 1 car now it´s car(s) so must mean 2 if Team has 2, 1 if Team has only 1

yeah but...two highest out of two car team is the whole team...I think the plural stands for multiple teams and only one car scores manu points.

pantealex
6th December 2018, 18:42
yeah but...two highest out of two car team is the whole team...I think the plural stands for multiple teams and only one car scores manu points.

"highest placed car(s) in each team will score"

Hard to say, maybe you are right, maybe I understand it correctly.

lluisva555
6th December 2018, 21:06
Our review on WRC2 technical regulations, past and future WRC2 Championships:
https://wrcwings.wordpress.com/2018/12/06/wrc2-technical-regulations-history-and-new-championships-for-2019/

the sniper
6th December 2018, 21:44
This is just unrealistic. The promoter should have financed half season for every team?

While I'd like to see money returned to the teams by the promoter, I doubt they're in a position to do so. What they can do is add VALUE to a second division, with coverage and such like, so that the manufactures involved can justify a relatively modest (in motorsport terms) investment in running a two car team in that second division. I don't think the promoter sees the value in anything other than the main class. I understand that somewhat, but they're putting all their eggs in one basket.

While my idea is optimistic, it's similar to the situation in 2009 and 2010 with the 'Manufacturer/WRC Teams' of Stobart M-Sport and Citroën Junior Team. I'm not saying the manufacturers needs to provide fully funded drives. A 'Hyundai MDP' team could include Huttunen and Pierre-Louis Loubet, with Loubet funding most of his drive.

What does WRC2 Pro actually provide as a platform? We'll see what the exposure is like next year, but as a development series it is far from ideal. Does a partial season, sometimes against little competition on some rounds they take part in, really prepare the like of Huttunen or Rovanpera for a full WRC drive in 2020? If you're going to bring up new talent to the WRC, at some point a manufacturer will have to be paying for them to learn all the rallies. Why pay for them to do this in an expensive WRC car rather than an R5?

I understand sniper view; if the purpose is to have a manus series, the 14 events should be mandatory and 2 cars as well. Still, I’d prefer to keep a sole WRC2 series with only 8 mandatory events, 6 of them also counting for a privateer cup (a bit like U28 inside overall ERC). Anyway, let's hope WRC2 Pro works and gets a decent exposure this time; the same for WRC2.

I'm totally with you on that. Personally I'd have structured it as:
WRC2 - 14 rounds and 2 cars mandatory, same manufacturer Championship rules as the main class (3 cars permitted, top 2 score ect). WRC2 has essentially always been a manufacturer dominated class and remains as such, retaining its clear identity.
PWRC (Privateer World Rally Cup) - Has the same rules as 2019 WRC2. A 'Cup' is a far better title for something where two competitors for a Championship can literally have never competed against each other by the time a winner is declared.
JWRC - As is.

Haven't VW themselves also said that their works team is available to someone who is able to fund its operation? To me this is where the promoter has a role to play again. If you look at Bernie Ecclestone as the ultimate promoter, he was all about putting deals together like pieces of a jigsaw to help his overall picture rather than just focusing on deals only directly affecting the promoter itself. As the promoter you'd want to be entertaining the likes of Lukoil, Liqui Moly, BWT and Monster Energy, having the foundations laid to allow relationships that could see a 'BWT Volkswagen Junior Team' or 'Monster Energy M-Sport'. They might not be paying the promoter directly, but they'd be benefiting from having a stronger product.

RS
6th December 2018, 21:53
Some years ago I think FIA dictated the calendars for the support championships. Might not be a bad idea to do it again?

Something like..

WRC2 Pro: Monte, Sweden, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Finland, Germany, Turkey, Oz (all events count)

WRC2: Corse, Portugal, Sardinia, Finland, Germany, Wales, Spain (6 of 7 count)

This would:

- Force championship contenders to actually fight each other
- Keep costs down for WRC2 privateers
- Ensure better entry lists on flyaway events (providing pro series was popular)
- Few clashes between each series ensure that pro doesn’t overshadow privateers championship

Some teams could always pimp out their second cars to privateer locals on flyaway events to collect manufacturers points and make the pro series affordable for them.

AnttiL
7th December 2018, 17:15
My suggestion would be to have either WRC2 Pro or JWRC as the main support series on each rally. This would make the entry lists equal on every rally and give better attention to JWRC. Privateer WRC2 would be available everywhere to make it fair for privateers around the world. But then again, this arrangement would not be fair for some rallies whose entry lists would be smaller this way, having had previously both JWRC and big number of WRC2 entries.

deephouse
7th December 2018, 17:34
How about that structure:

WRC - main class (WRC car)
WRC2 - support class (R5 car)
ERC, APRC, ARC, CODASUR, MERC, NACAM - regional (R4 car - if it will be any)
JUNIOR CUP - youngsters (R2 car)

Winner gets a seat in higher class car for next season.

Mirek
7th December 2018, 17:44
ERC, APRC, ARC, CODASUR, MERC, NACAM - regional (R4 car - if it will be any)

Just why when in Europe everyone and his granny has R5?

For Your information there is at this moment only ONE actually competing R4 car in Europe but many hundreds of R5 car.

RS
7th December 2018, 18:35
Privateer WRC2 would be available everywhere to make it fair for privateers around the world.

Don’t privateers from outside of Europe generally use European based teams anyhow?

AnttiL
7th December 2018, 20:02
Winner gets a seat in higher class car for next season.

Paid by whom?

AnttiL
7th December 2018, 20:04
Don’t privateers from outside of Europe generally use European based teams anyhow?

I don't know but for example Gustavo Saba doesn't seem to do any European starts. Pedro Helller seems to have used a different car in his two European starts this year.

pantealex
9th December 2018, 18:42
Situation:

Kalle Rovanperä is driving Monte-Carlo with Fabia R5 from TGS (Toni Gardemaister Sport)

is he ?

WRC2 PRO ?
WRC2 ?
not allowed to score any other than Overall Top10 poins ?

How do you read rules ?

deephouse
9th December 2018, 19:49
He said he is not into the title, just experience so he will be ready for WRC seat for 2020. If not he doesn't mind if he will be in WRC2 a few more years. He isn't in rush.

AnttiL
9th December 2018, 20:30
Situation:

Kalle Rovanperä is driving Monte-Carlo with Fabia R5 from TGS (Toni Gardemaister Sport)

is he ?

WRC2 PRO ?
WRC2 ?

How do you read rules ?

Not WRC2 Pro for sure. He can choose whether to enter for WRC2 points or not. My interptetation...

tommeke_B
9th December 2018, 20:32
Entering for WRC2 would make sense, even if it's only for a better starting number/position and priority in shakedown.

AnttiL
9th December 2018, 21:08
Entering for WRC2 would make sense, even if it's only for a better starting number/position and priority in shakedown.

Yeah, and he won’t have to play tactics on how many rallies he can collect points from, like this year probably...

RS
10th December 2018, 08:29
Situation:

is he ?

WRC2 PRO ?
WRC2 ?

How do you read rules ?

Haha, good question!

Maybe he can win both titles?

So no Skoda Motorsport on Monte or just Kopecky?

PLuto
10th December 2018, 10:20
Yes, that is also my idea - you can enter 7 rounds in WRC2 and 7 in WRC2 Pro and win both titles...

PLuto
13th December 2018, 10:51
8.2.1 In order to score points in the WRC 2 Pro Championship for Manufacturers, Drivers and Co-Drivers, a Manufacturer must register with the FIA before the closing date of entries of the first rally entered. Registration in the WRC 2 Pro Championships is set at €150,000. Any manufacturer registered as per Art. 7.2 does not need to pay the individual WRC 2 Pro Championships fee for Manufacturers.

AnttiL
13th December 2018, 10:54
8.2.1 In order to score points in the WRC 2 Pro Championship for Manufacturers, Drivers and Co-Drivers, a Manufacturer must register with the FIA before the closing date of entries of the first rally entered. Registration in the WRC 2 Pro Championships is set at €150,000. Any manufacturer registered as per Art. 7.2 does not need to pay the individual WRC 2 Pro Championships fee for Manufacturers.

Basically this means that Skoda is paying, but Citroen, M-Sport and Hyundai wouldn't have to pay it since they're participating in the main WRC manufacturers championship? Proton or VW would have to pay as well.

PLuto
13th December 2018, 10:56
Basically this means that Skoda is paying, but Citroen, M-Sport and Hyundai wouldn't have to pay it since they're participating in the main WRC manufacturers championship? Proton or VW would have to pay as well.

For me this sentence means that there is no real interest in WRC 2 Pro so they are encouraging some teams (mainly M-Sport, Citroen and Hyundai) to be part of it...

PLuto
13th December 2018, 10:57
And what will happen if there will be WRC 2 Pro registration of Toyota Gazoo WRT with Katsuta and Fiesta R5? :D

Essaj
13th December 2018, 11:43
What if Toyota uses Skoda as their wrc2 team and Katsuta would be driving the 3rd Skoda? :rolleyes:

Tarmop
13th December 2018, 12:02
A big manufacturer using services of one of their biggest EU competitors in the market....not going to happen. Even using another make privately without its badge sounds fishy.

pantealex
13th December 2018, 14:02
What if Toyota uses Skoda as their wrc2 team and Katsuta would be driving the 3rd Skoda? :rolleyes:

not possible to PRO, max 2 cars allowed for PRO

but for standard WRC2 why not ;)

RS
13th December 2018, 14:26
not possible to PRO, max 2 cars allowed for PRO

but for standard WRC2 why not ;)

Has it been confirmed that works teams cannot run in 'normal' WRC2?

Mirek
13th December 2018, 15:02
Has it been confirmed that works teams cannot run in 'normal' WRC2?

That's quite essential, isn't it? Without that the whole thing doesn't make any sense.

PLuto
13th December 2018, 19:01
But there is question, what exactly it is "works team". For example last years starts of Rovanpera, Veiby and Nordgren with cars from Wevers...

Rally Power
13th December 2018, 19:06
...and Citroen WRC2 program was run by PHSport, Huttunen i20 was serviced by Sarrazin Motorsport, etc. That's not a big deal to have private teams runing under manus entries. It's been done for ages.

Mirek
13th December 2018, 19:12
But there is question, what exactly it is "works team". For example last years starts of Rovanpera, Veiby and Nordgren with cars from Wevers...

...and Citroen WRC2 program was run by PHSport, Huttunen i20 was serviced by Sarrazin Motorsport, etc. That's not a big deal to have private teams runing under manus entries. It's been done for ages.

That's very easy. It's all about the column "competitor" on the entry form.

If some teams wants to play games with it it's their choice but I don't see any reason doing that.

deephouse
13th December 2018, 20:35

True. WTCR this season for compare did just exactly this. And Hyundai won Drivers and ''manufacturer'' championship. So it could be here too. But then it's not the point of even having WRC2 pro just regular support championsip and that's it.

Mirek
13th December 2018, 21:11
There is no manufacturer title for WRC2. Why shall any works team pretend to be a privateer to take a trophy which doesn't exist?

PLuto
13th December 2018, 23:34
On the other side, did anyone knew that there was manufacturer title for WRC2 in past years? Nobody takes care about it, only Skoda used it in some promo materials...

tommeke_B
14th December 2018, 04:17
On the other side, did anyone knew that there was manufacturer title for WRC2 in past years? Nobody takes care about it, only Skoda used it in some promo materials...

Are there other manufacturers than Skoda who won the WRC2 title in the last few years?

RS
14th December 2018, 09:17

So i guess this is all they will get for their 150,000 euros next year?

wwbroe
14th December 2018, 10:01
So i guess this is all they will get for their 150,000 euros next year?

Where did you see that Skoda Motorsport will be involved in WRC2 Pro?

RS
14th December 2018, 14:13
Where did you see that Skoda Motorsport will be involved in WRC2 Pro?

Well actually I didn't, because Skoda Motorsport press releases didn't mention anything about next season's programme or drivers yet, but when I suggested that not much was announced at the press conference I got told off so I presume it must be the case.

pantealex
14th December 2018, 14:53
PSRX (VW SWEDEN) is out from WRX.

Kristoffesson has PoloR5 (another is coming very soon)

Solberg has PoloR5

Do the math...

AnttiL
19th December 2018, 08:35
Katsuta will do Monte (non-WRC2), Sweden, Corsica, Argentina, Chile, Portugal, Sardegna, Finland, Deutschland, Turkey, Wales and Spain

AnttiL
19th December 2018, 09:51
https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/news/ostberg-world-rx-rallying-2019-/4314842/

according to this, Østberg is, in addition to his WRX plans, "also closing on a deal to drive in WRC2 next year"

Andre Oliveira
19th December 2018, 12:10
Interesting: https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/news/2018/december-2018/ra;lly-deals/page/5962--51-51-.html

dimviii
19th December 2018, 14:32
Interesting: https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/news/2018/december-2018/ra;lly-deals/page/5962--51-51-.html

far away/costly rounds trying to earn entries.

dimviii
19th December 2018, 14:56
Veiby with polo r5 by BRR for Monte - Sweden
Jonas Andersson co driver
His old co driver with Kristoffersson
https://ocveiby.com/monte-carlo-and-sweden-in-a-vw-polo-r5-and-new-co-driver/

Rallyper
19th December 2018, 16:20
Sp maybe Emil Axelsson back as co-driver for Pontus? Should be doing good to him.

dimviii
19th December 2018, 17:21
Kristoffersson testing polo at snow
https://www.facebook.com/tommy.kristoffersson.9/videos/515001075663300/

Rallyper
19th December 2018, 17:35
"New challenges..." says Tommy, Johans´father.

Mirek
20th December 2018, 20:42
Škoda Motorsport asked some of the national champions what will they do in 2019. Nikolay Gryazin, Sylvain Michel and Erik Pietarinen answered to do WRC2. Burak Cukurova said 2 WRC2 events are possible.

https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/we-ask-the-champions-what-are-your-plans-for-the-2019-season/

dodge33cymru
21st December 2018, 13:52
Weird, no works Skoda entered for Monte Carlo WRC2 Pro

wwbroe
21st December 2018, 13:57
Weird, no works Skoda entered for Monte Carlo WRC2 Pro

They never said they would enter WRC2 Pro as far as i know

Essaj
21st December 2018, 14:02
Kalle is driving TGS Skoda R5 in Monte so I guess the team skips it.

Mirek
21st December 2018, 14:12
They never said they would enter WRC2 Pro as far as i know

I'm fairly sure they will but they likely skip Monte Carlo.

Sub_Skoda
21st December 2018, 14:34
I'm fairly sure they will but they likely skip Monte Carlo.

Sad, because Kopecky at MC = some good points!

Mirek
21st December 2018, 14:44
I think that they consider Monte Carlo as too risky event. They lost it way too many times when things seemed to be on the way to victory. Also if they skip it they can take some time off before the season start.

tommeke_B
21st December 2018, 15:02
Maybe they'll do more events in the 2nd half of the season, with the new car.

Andre Oliveira
21st December 2018, 18:49
WRC2 Pro at MC

Greensmith / Edmondson
Bonato / Boulloud

AnttiL
21st December 2018, 19:25
WRC2 Pro at MC

Greensmith / Edmondson
Bonato / Boulloud

I have to apologize and ask who the second drivers of both teams are

Essaj
21st December 2018, 19:40
I have to apologize and ask who the second drivers of both teams are

co-drivers :)

AnttiL
21st December 2018, 19:48
co-drivers :)

That explains :)

Bartolbia84
27th December 2018, 19:17
BREAKING NEWS!!

Manuel Villa - Daniele Michi at the start of wrc2. the program will start from Monte Carlo with Škoda Fabia R5

PLuto
27th December 2018, 19:26
BREAKING NEWS!!

Manuel Villa - Daniele Michi at the start of wrc2. the program will start from Monte Carlo with Škoda Fabia R5

I think he will do only Monte ;)

AnttiL
28th December 2018, 17:46
Gryazin starting a nine round WRC2 program from Sweden. Great news!

Fast Eddie WRC
28th December 2018, 20:34

Fast driver, glad to see him progress.

Andre Oliveira
28th December 2018, 21:35
His lack of WRC rallies experience could be important.

PLuto
28th December 2018, 21:47

Logical step up...

PLuto
28th December 2018, 21:47
His lack of WRC rallies experience could be important.

I dont think so.

dodge33cymru
29th December 2018, 18:17
Am I mistaken for understanding the WRC2 Pro rules? Again. I thought two cars needed to be entered for each team/manufacturer? Guessing I'm wrong, seeing as it looks like Greensmith and Bonato are only announced. Or are we just waiting on confirmation of Camilli and Lefebvre to join them?

AnttiL
29th December 2018, 18:33
Am I mistaken for understanding the WRC2 Pro rules? Again. I thought two cars needed to be entered for each team/manufacturer? Guessing I'm wrong, seeing as it looks like Greensmith and Bonato are only announced. Or are we just waiting on confirmation of Camilli and Lefebvre to join them?

No, only one per rally is enough, but throughout the season 8(?) rallies for two cars in total.

dodge33cymru
29th December 2018, 19:11
No, only one per rally is enough, but throughout the season 8(?) rallies for two cars in total.Rightio.

Now I'm even more confused.

Thanks

Jarek Z
30th December 2018, 00:11
I dont think so.

Yeah, it's not so difficult to be at the top of WRC2. Kubica was world champion in his first season and this year Kajetanowicz was faster than most WRC2 private regulars despite having zero experience in WRC rallies.

So good luck to Gryazin, he has the required skills!
(although we can't forget that he is a car crasher)

electroliquid
30th December 2018, 09:27
(although we can't forget that he is a car crasher)

Well, he is doing better now, only one crash this year (https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/71063-nikolay-gryazin/) is ok, I think, considering how many rallies he had.

br21
30th December 2018, 09:58
Well, he is doing better now, only one crash this year (https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/71063-nikolay-gryazin/) is ok, I think, considering how many rallies he had.

Yes, you need to consider "crash per stage km" ratio. Gryazin did this year over 9k stage kms (rallies and tests combined) so his start/finish ratio looks really good. You can't compare number of his crashes with someone who drove some national champs with limited tests, so some 1/10 of kms he did.

Jarek Z
30th December 2018, 12:07
Yes, you are right. Gryazin has improved a lot this year. Good luck to him in his further career!

Rallyper
30th December 2018, 13:13
Johan Kristoffersson in Polo R5 won todays Romhjulsrally in Norway. 1 min 11 sec ahead of F T Larsen Fiesta R5.

Kristoffersson won all stages.

PLuto
30th December 2018, 14:17
Johan Kristoffersson in Polo R5 won todays Romhjulsrally in Norway. 1 min 11 sec ahead of F T Larsen Fiesta R5.

Kristoffersson won all stages.

This information is suitable more for national championship thread ;)

KiwiWRCfan
30th December 2018, 20:38
This information is suitable more for national championship thread ;)

My personal opinion.
How a multiple FIA world champion does in a preparation event is very relevant to this thread given Johan is expected to do a full WRC2 season in 2019.

deephouse
30th December 2018, 21:41
My personal opinion.
How a multiple FIA world champion does in a preparation event is very relevant to this thread given Johan is expected to do a full WRC2 season in 2019.

He will be pretty much busy driving TCR golf in WTCR for a whole season. I think he will not have a time for a rallying though.

Rally Power
30th December 2018, 21:42
Yep. It'd be great if he manage to do both!

Mirek
30th December 2018, 22:05
My personal opinion.

I agree with Pluto. Otherwise we can spam this thread with dozens of posts about how WRC2 drivers perform on national level. You know many of them do compete in more championships in the same time...

Rallyper
31st December 2018, 09:44
I agree with Pluto. Otherwise we can spam this thread with dozens of posts about how WRC2 drivers perform on national level. You know many of them do compete in more championships in the same time...

I don´t know why you´re so anti Swede, guys? Kristoffersson will do WRC2 in Sweden and he now started his testing and driving before that event. Why not inform about his progress here?

And Mirek, you yourself mentioning guys I´never heard of in this thread...

But Kristoffersson as Kiwi WRC fan says is multiple World Champion. He belongs in this thread as long as he will do WRC2 events.

Mirek
31st December 2018, 09:55
Come on, nobody is anti-Sweed. This is completely ridiculous from You.

It's absolutely normal to put names of WRC2 drivers here (including Kristoffersson) but it's stupid to post results from their national outings here. You can read them in national threads where they belong and not spam WRC threads with them. Do I post every national result of Kopecký in WRC threads? Of course not. Why should I do that? So why to do that with Kristoffersson especially when Romjulsrally had so weak entry list that the result is completely meaningless in regards to Swedish rally?

Rallyper
31st December 2018, 10:46
Come on, nobody is anti-Sweed. This is completely ridiculous from You.

It's absolutely normal to put names of WRC2 drivers here (including Kristoffersson) but it's stupid to post results from their national outings here. You can read them in national threads where they belong and not spam WRC threads with them. Do I post every national result of Kopecký in WRC threads? Of course not. Why should I do that? So why to do that with Kristoffersson especially when Romjulsrally had so weak entry list that the result is completely meaningless in regards to Swedish rally?

Well, it´s your opinion.

Not mine.

Kristoffersson is of interest for other people than you. I´m NOT spamming this thread as long as he´s contender of WRC2. So I´ll go on posting things interesting for WRC2 here. If I´ll find something that is.

PS I saw you liked Dimviii´s post of Kristoffersson testing his Polo some pages back...DS

Mirek
31st December 2018, 11:14
You don't seem to comprehend the meaning of a written text. Enough from my side.

dodge33cymru
31st December 2018, 11:49
Come on guys, enough of that - Kristofferson (or any driver competing in WRC2 and elsewhere) is a grey area but no-one here is anti-Swede! Let's hope he confirms a WRC2 campaign after Sweden and has a proper go at it.

Rallyper
31st December 2018, 11:58
You don't seem to comprehend the meaning of a written text. Enough from my side.

I sure understand what you´ve written. Even between the lines.

But I´ll repeat: Kristoffersson preparing for WRC2 event is not spam in this thread. No matter what assements over results, or methods of preparing has been done from other forumers.

Enough from my side as well.

PLuto
31st December 2018, 12:14
But I´ll repeat: Kristoffersson preparing for WRC2 event is not spam in this thread.

It is a spam for this thread ;) And not only Kristoffersson, but also other similar posts, if there will be any (results of Kopecky from czech championship, results of Gryazin from any of his many starts everywhere etc).

Hartusvuori
31st December 2018, 12:40
The volume of comments on this forum never fullfils the description of spam. I think this debate about allowing talking about possible WRC2 competitors in this thread or should be on some other thread works perfectly as a spam filter for the next weeks as people find better things to do.

Rally Power
31st December 2018, 16:33
Some more spam ;) : besides the WRX, this year Kristoffersson also run (and won) the Scandinavian touring cars series, on a Golf TCR. Maybe a full WTCR season won’t be enough for him! It’d be really great for the WRC2 to have him in some events after Sweden.

Btw, happy new year for all!

Fast Eddie WRC
1st January 2019, 16:53
A double WRX Champion driving the newest model of R5 car, and who plans to enter a WRC2 event in the car next month, has to be of interest.

JK is not just some unknown gentleman driver.

People arguing against this result info are doing far more spamming. And I bet if he'd crashed on that rally they wouldnt mind it being mentioned...

Rallyper
1st January 2019, 17:43
A double WRX Champion driving the newest model of R5 car, and who plans to enter a WRC2 event in the car next month, has to be of interest.

JK is not just some unknown gentleman driver.

People arguing against this result info are doing far more spamming. And I bet if he'd crashed on that rally they wouldnt mind it being mentioned...

+10

Essaj
2nd January 2019, 00:58
But the important question here is was he using Pirellis? I'm afraid that Pirelli vs Michelin game will be a deciding factor also this year in Sweden :/

dupanton
2nd January 2019, 08:59
Several yound Belgian drivers are looking to join WRC2:
Sebastien Bedoret (Skoda Belgium driver) is looking to start in Corsica, Germany and Catalunya in addition to his Belgian program.
Grégoire Munster will start in Monte Carlo and possibly in Sweden and Corsica with a Fabia R5
Guillaume De Mevius (Belgian national RACB driver) will start in Monte Carlo and has plans for a bigger WRC2 campaign.

Bartolbia84
3rd January 2019, 09:00
Probabily Yates in european round

pantealex
4th January 2019, 17:42
Well well, once again: Rules!

Points.

WRC2 PRO Teams all 14 rallies will be counted. Teams can have 1 or 2 cars, so max points for 1 rally 25+18=43points

WRC2 PRO Drivers best 8 scores will be counted. Drivers can drive all 14 rallies if they want, so max points 8x25=200points

WRC2 only for drivers, first 7 events entered will be counted for championship and best 6 results out of those 7 for points.

so each 3 "R5 based" series has different points scoring rules, very difficult to understand...

Rally Power
5th January 2019, 15:29
Points. WRC2 PRO Teams all 14 rallies will be counted. Teams can have 1 or 2 cars, so max points for 1 rally 25+18=43points..

You’re probably right, but I got the idea that in manus case even if they can enter/name 2 cars per event they can only score their best car result (a bit like the 3/2 WRC scoring rule).

Btw, a spanish site is saying that Ostberg is trying to make a deal with Citroen for the WRC 2 Pro. If so, maybe some WRC rounds could be included?

skarderud
5th January 2019, 16:40
Østberg says to parcferme.no that he have offers to drive both polo R5 and citröen C3 R5 in WRC2 pro, he also have a offer to drive C3 WRC with some "financial support".
He will also do the first round in the Norwegian championship in a Subaru Gr.N:)

He will present his plans in the next week or so.

deephouse
5th January 2019, 16:53
Well hard choice. If he will go on with Citroen then he needs to work hard to get any win or even a podium in R5, with Polo I think it could be a lot easier to do that. But on the other site if he will be right where he is then he could also drive WRC car and focus more on that. But the question is what he prefers. A few WRC rounds and WRC2 Pro programme with maybe in the top 5 overall or maybe a chance for the title in lower category.

AnttiL
5th January 2019, 17:29
Eerik Pietarinen to do 4-6 WRC2 rallies with a TGS Skoda

Allez Andruet
5th January 2019, 18:04
Eerik Pietarinen to do 4-6 WRC2 rallies with a TGS Skods

...and the program will start from Sweden.

dodge33cymru
6th January 2019, 00:51
Fingers crossed for Mads in a C3 R5, it would be good to see how it could do with such a known quantity behind the wheel (Lefebvre being potentially very good but hasn't driven other cars for so long it's hard to compare his pace across them).

Jarek Z
6th January 2019, 11:47

(...)

so each 3 "R5 based" series has different points scoring rules, very difficult to understand...

Exactly! What a mess!

dimviii
8th January 2019, 18:19
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsWWPrIoooR/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=66yfd76r6z86

dupanton
9th January 2019, 07:27
Probabily Yates in european round

He has entered rally Sweden in WRC2, so looks like a WRC2 program for him yes.

dimviii
9th January 2019, 11:16
Gary KiwiWRCfan Boyd

Bolivian driver @MarquitoBulacia has announced on facebook he will drive a Skoda Fabia R5 for #WRC2 2019 rounds in Mexico , Argentina , Chile , Italy , Turkey , Wales and Australia
Bulacia is currently in Spain testing

Fast Eddie WRC
9th January 2019, 16:48
Confirmed - Gus Greensmith will spearhead M-Sport's WRC2 Pro challenge:

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/140939/wrc2-driver-greensmith-gets-fiesta-wrc-shot

dupanton
10th January 2019, 11:07
WRC2 program for Guillaume De Mevius as RACB national driver confirmed:
Monte Carlo, Corsica, Germany and Catalunya. Then 2 other rounds that could be Portugal, Turkey or Wales,

AnttiL
10th January 2019, 15:04
Greensmith and Pieniazek confirmed for M-Sport’s WRC2Pro entry

https://www.m-sport.co.uk/single-post/2019/01/10/M-SPORT-FORD-CONFIRM-GREENSMITH-AND-PIENIAZEK-FOR-WRC-2-PRO

Jarek Z
10th January 2019, 16:02
Pieniazek confirmed for M-Sport’s WRC2Pro entry

https://www.m-sport.co.uk/single-post/2019/01/10/M-SPORT-FORD-CONFIRM-GREENSMITH-AND-PIENIAZEK-FOR-WRC-2-PRO

plus

Several yound Belgian drivers are looking to join WRC2:
Sebastien Bedoret (Skoda Belgium driver) is looking to start in Corsica, Germany and Catalunya in addition to his Belgian program.
Grégoire Munster will start in Monte Carlo and possibly in Sweden and Corsica with a Fabia R5
Guillaume De Mevius (Belgian national RACB driver) will start in Monte Carlo and has plans for a bigger WRC2 campaign.

only show that the times when promotion to WRC required skills and results are long gone :(

pantealex
10th January 2019, 16:43
Patrik Flodin FabiaR5 WRC2 RallySweden
and as expected
Lars Stugemo PoloR5 WRC2 RallySweden

Mirek
10th January 2019, 16:49
only show that the times when promotion to WRC required skills and results are long gone :(

You have very short memory Jarek.

Jarek Z
10th January 2019, 16:52
Patrik Flodin FabiaR5 WRC2 RallySweden

Wow, nice to see Patrik Flodin with a good rally program again. I remember him as a Subaru Poland driver 10 years ago. Good luck to him!
https://www.ewrc-results.com/image/317524/?entry=65174

Entertainer
10th January 2019, 20:07
Wow, nice to see Patrik Flodin with a good rally program again. I remember him as a Subaru Poland driver 10 years ago. Good luck to him!
https://www.ewrc-results.com/image/317524/?entry=65174

Great to see! Quick, challenged Paddon and Tanak "back in the days"
With his natural speed and talent, given the right preparations, there could be a RC2-top5 or maybe a podium in Sweden.

Fast Eddie WRC
10th January 2019, 21:15
Greensmith and Pieniazek confirmed for M-Sport’s WRC2Pro entry

Pieniazek is a surprise. I dont remember him impressing in WRC2. Seems his sponsors money and maybe M-Sport Poland were the key to him getting this chance.

RS
11th January 2019, 05:16
Pieniazek is a surprise. I dont remember him impressing in WRC2. Seems his sponsors money and maybe M-Sport Poland were the key to him getting this chance.

I think both are pay-drivers, both not bad but not what I would call ‘Pro’

Don’t think they’ll give Rovanpera and Kopecky much trouble.

rp
11th January 2019, 06:02
I think both are pay-drivers, both not bad but not what I would call ‘Pro’

Don’t think they’ll give Rovanpera and Kopecky much trouble.

Exactly!

dupanton
11th January 2019, 07:04

Maybe you should do some research?
Bedoret: vice Junior Champion in Belgium behind De Mevius, very impressive debut year with an R5, setting multiple scratches in the 2nd half of the year. Backed by Skoda Belgium and coached by Freddy Loix
De Mevius: Belgian Junior Champion, RACB National driver. Very fast at times, but inconsistent. Maybe the less talented of the 3.
Munster: Belgian Junior CHampion, vice champion in the Adam Cup, won his 2nd rally in an R5 beating some local and more experienced drivers in very tricky conditions.

So, 3 young guys who clearly have talent, who are not afraid to try to make it abroad. I think WRC is where the biggest talents of different countries come together. And they are some of the biggest talents in Belgium.

AnttiL
11th January 2019, 07:32
Last year in Deutschland Bedoret was on his best stage result 15th fastest in RC2 class. Did he have some technical problems throughout the rally?

Munster seems to have about 200 km of competitive kilometres on an R5 car.

I don't think experience and results are a requirement for WRC2, but it's an expensive series to learn driving.

Jarek Z
11th January 2019, 09:06

I did.

Bedoret: he was competing in ERC 2 years ago and failed to finish any event. 0 points. Last year full Belgian championship in the best car. Not a single win. Where is this impressive debut year?

De Mevius: He's been competing in R5 car for 2 years and hasn't won anything. Where is this talent?

Munster: I saw him in Barum Rally last year. After a series of bad stage times he finished 8th in ERC3 class. Is it impressive?

I wish them good luck. I just find it strange that someone wastes so much money.

Mirek
11th January 2019, 09:20
Come on, this is laughable discussion. Look at Pieniazek. He was very slow when he started in WRC2 and now he is works driver for M-Sport. Everybody has to start somehow and gain experience.

Hartusvuori
11th January 2019, 09:40
I just find it strange that someone wastes so much money.

I just love, simply just love it. It's rallying.

dupanton
11th January 2019, 09:44
I did.

Bedoret: he was competing in ERC 2 years ago and failed to finish any event. 0 points. Last year full Belgian championship in the best car. Not a single win. Where is this impressive debut year?

De Mevius: He's been competing in R5 car for 2 years and hasn't won anything. Where is this talent?

Munster: I saw him in Barum Rally last year. After a series of bad stage times he finished 8th in ERC3 class. Is it impressive?

I wish them good luck. I just find it strange that someone wastes so much money.

Don't underestimate the level in het belgian championship. For Example, Verschueren and Princen finished 40 and 49 seconds behind Neuville after 277km stage in Ypres.
De Mevius, I have to agree I'm convinced he is a super talent, but he isn't slow or anything.
Munster, it was only his 2nd full year. He struggled in Barum yes. But overall he made great progress over the year and is very well coached.

I'm not saying they will finish on the podium in WRC2. Not this year. But they sure have (big) potential. Like Mirek says, you have to start somewhere.

denkimi
11th January 2019, 10:56
Bedoret: vice Junior Champion in Belgium behind De Mevius, very impressive debut year with an R5, setting multiple scratches in the 2nd half of the year. Backed by Skoda Belgium and coached by Freddy Loix
De Mevius: Belgian Junior Champion, RACB National driver. Very fast at times, but inconsistent. Maybe the less talented of the 3.
Munster: Belgian Junior CHampion, vice champion in the Adam Cup, won his 2nd rally in an R5 beating some local and more experienced drivers in very tricky conditions.

So, 3 young guys who clearly have talent, who are not afraid to try to make it abroad. I think WRC is where the biggest talents of different countries come together. And they are some of the biggest talents in Belgium.
de mevius and munster are both good examples of how enough money can make someone look fast in the lower classes.
as soon as they get up to a level where they no longer fight amateurs, but others with the same support and budget we'll see how good they really are.

bedoret is more difficult. he obviously only got in that r5 car because he had the biggest bag of money, but i think he might have some speed. probably not enough to be playing with the international big boys, but perhaps enough to become belgian champion someday.

there is only one belgian driver who impressed me this year, and its fernémont.

Entertainer
11th January 2019, 11:37
Perhaps this is a discussion for a separate thread? "Talents 2019" f.ex. with leads and links to drivers we hope will make an impact.

I personally would love to discuss talents on the verge of WRC/WRC2/JWRC/ERC worth checking out and following in their local rallies. Especially outside the nordics, since I am swedish and limited knowledge/updated information on talents in other parts of Europe and the world.

PLuto
11th January 2019, 11:42

But all three of them are still not ready for WRC...

Duvel
11th January 2019, 11:45
Perhaps this is a discussion for a separate thread? "Talents 2019" f.ex. with leads and links to drivers we hope will make an impact.

I personally would love to discuss talents on the verge of WRC/WRC2/JWRC/ERC worth checking out and following in their local rallies. Especially outside the nordics, since I am swedish and limited knowledge/updated information on talents in other parts of Europe and the world.

Good idea!

Whar the Belgians are doing, going for expierince in Wrc. I would cal that "investing" money, not "wasting".
All those milions going to some footbal players, thats wasting. Talents, or drivers paying money to do wrc is way better!

Rally Power
11th January 2019, 12:28

Actually, I was impressed with Pieniazek last year in Portugal; he looked fast on the stages, making decent times in most of them. Besides, he was around WRC2 top 5 all season long (finishing on P5), which can be impressive considering he was only on his second 4wd season ever. If Ingram runs the WRC2 this season, I bet he probably won’t beat the Polish.

Btw, this talk about driver A or B running the WRC just because they’re loaded seems a bit stupid; do drivers run the national series or the ERC without costs? Without money (personal or sponsors) no one can succeed in motorsport.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th January 2019, 14:01
Actually, I was impressed with Pieniazek last year in Portugal; he looked fast on the stages, making decent times in most of them. Besides, he was around WRC2 top 5 all season long (finishing on P5), which can be impressive considering he was only on his second 4wd season ever. If Ingram runs the WRC2 this season, I bet he probably won’t beat the Polish.

Btw, this talk about driver A or B running the WRC just because they’re loaded seems a bit stupid; do drivers run the national series or the ERC without costs? Without money (personal or sponsors) no one can succeed in motorsport.

Speaking of Ingram... even when he wins money he cant get it !! :(

@autosport
Chris Ingram is understood to still be waiting for the €100,000 prize money he earned for winning the 2017 European Rally Championship's Under 27 title.
https://www.autosport.com/erc/news/140977/ingram-still-waiting-for-2017-u27-prize-money

This is awful for a young guy with no personal sponsor (ie no rich daddy), and who has made his way by sourcing his own funding from sponsorship, getting results by his talent and attracting manu drives (Peugeot UK, Vauxhall UK, Opel) and by winning prize money.

The FIA (ERC) should be ashamed.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th January 2019, 15:57
Rhys Yates @RhysYatesRally

Excited to reveal my 2019 WRC-2 plans here at the @Autosport_Show on the @autosport stage today.
After several years of progress and learning, I'm delighted to be heading into my biggest season yet.
It's going to be mega !

Find out what's in the pipeline: https://twitter.com/RhysYatesRally/status/1084116581356048385

dodge33cymru
12th January 2019, 16:58
Bit disappointed if those are the only 2 M-Sport drivers for the year. No complaints at either, the more the merrier, but I would have thought the new R5 car would be more important to the company than the WRC one this year, so was really hoping they'd have Tidemand, Camilli or another pro to advertise that car and put it in a good light.

Re: the Ingram story, I hope that reaches a swift conclusion in his favour; if he has to go into some sort of legal action that could be the end of his career.

PLuto
12th January 2019, 17:04
Bit disappointed if those are the only 2 M-Sport drivers for the year. No complaints at either, the more the merrier, but I would have thought the new R5 car would be more important to the company than the WRC one this year, so was really hoping they'd have Tidemand, Camilli or another pro to advertise that car and put it in a good light.

New Fiesta will not be soon, I dont expect to have it in the first half of the season...

dodge33cymru
12th January 2019, 17:06
New Fiesta will not be soon, I dont expect to have it in the first half of the season...

I thought I read they were aiming for Finland, but I may well be mixed up with the Fabia (or taking speculation as news)

Jarek Z
12th January 2019, 17:17

Money talk, you know... I'm disappointed too. With such decisions the name "WRC2 Pro" doesn't make any sense.

By the way - I have a trivia question for you all: does anybody know what the word Pieniążek means?

AnttiL
12th January 2019, 17:50

Well, WRC2 has professional-level competition and the rallies are long and expensive. I heard in the Absolute Rally podcast that a WRC2 rally costs roughly double the amount of an ERC rally. And doing national rallies in some country (Italy, Finland) would probably be even cheaper. And competition-wise, it's good to learn to win, to build mental strength on keeping a lead and finishing a rally under pressure. It's easier to win a national rally or an ERC round than in WRC2.

Of course, you have to go to WRC2 at some point if you want to be a professional, but if your career is at the point where you want to learn different types of roads outside your country, it just doesn't feel like a cost-effective idea. If you have the budget/backing and modest results won't take that backing away, then no problem.

sindroms
12th January 2019, 18:26
I heard in the Absolute Rally podcast that a WRC2 rally costs roughly double the amount of an ERC rally. And doing national rallies in some country (Italy, Finland) would probably be even cheaper. And competition-wise, it's good to learn to win, to build mental strength on keeping a lead and finishing a rally under pressure. It's easier to win a national rally or an ERC round than in WRC2

Somewhere in russian sites Lukyanuk said that for ERC campaign budget was 400 000 EUR while for WRC2 2019 he needs around 1 million.

Essaj
12th January 2019, 18:31
R5 kilometer cost the same no matte if you drive in a national rally, erc or wrc. Of course 300kms+ costs more than 200 in erc or 100 in national rallies. #quickmaths

Mirek
12th January 2019, 19:09
R5 kilometer cost the same no matte if you drive in a national rally, erc or wrc. Of course 300kms+ costs more than 200 in erc or 100 in national rallies. #quickmaths

Logistics, accomodation, entry fee...

PLuto
12th January 2019, 19:38
And also you need dont to forgot that in WRC there are longer distances between services, so you are forced to preventive change of parts more often.

AnttiL
12th January 2019, 20:20
And it's also a bigger risk investment if you retire early in a longer rally. You have still done a long recce and payed the entry fees.

Essaj
12th January 2019, 20:37
Logistics, accomodation, entry fee...

Thought we were talking about doing national rallies in different countries than your own. There is always logistics in play.
If you're able to run R5 accommodation shouldn't be a problem. Also you need accommodation even for national rallies, it's just couple/few added days.
WRC2 entry fee is what few thousands and you can reduce that atleast in most events by just running the national field if that is really necessary.

And also you need dont to forgot that in WRC there are longer distances between services, so you are forced to preventive change of parts more often.

Many rallies have long liaisons and when the cars are run on road mode the parts really don't wore off that much.

And it's also a bigger risk investment if you retire early in a longer rally. You have still done a long recce and payed the entry fees.
Even just doing the recce is not that bad since the same stages are probably run next years also. This is why many drivers travel to events just for the recce.

PLuto
12th January 2019, 20:46
Many rallies have long liaisons and when the cars are run on road mode the parts really don't wore off that much.

You didnt get my point. It is different if you are doing 130 kms of stages per leg without service (only at the beginning of the day and at the end) and if you have one or two regular services during the day...

AnttiL
12th January 2019, 20:57
Another way to look at it: if you have a budget for 4 WRC2 rallies, 8 ERC rallies or 12 national rallies for a year, it's probably better to keep your skills up by rallying once every month rather than having long gaps.

Essaj
12th January 2019, 21:01
You didnt get my point. It is different if you are doing 130 kms of stages per leg without service (only at the beginning of the day and at the end) and if you have one or two regular services during the day...

yeah I missed it but still its not really true. there is always the km mark when you're suppose to change the parts and if some of it has to be changed every 100kms it's added to the rent price already. So still the €/km stays the same, your own team or the ream you rent from has taken that into count. You may be able to play it safe and swap parts more frequently but you could also do that in national rallies.

if you drive 10 national rallies ≈ 1000kms in a year is roughly same cost as 3 WRC rounds + entry fees.
So if you're doing national rallies away from home with a 100% rented car + service it could be even cheaper to run the km's in WRC rounds because of less traveling/working days.

To run whole 6-7 event season in WRC2 is of course more expensive than ERC or National championship + added rounds to get the same KMs but it's depending on what you value.

BUT I agree you guys on there that it's better to spend your yearly budget on a national rallies/ERC if you have to choose between that or 1 or 2 WRC2 outings.

Mirek
12th January 2019, 21:56
Pluto spent years doing logistics for several teams so I guess he has an idea.

Essaj
12th January 2019, 22:09

Lets say Kalle rents a Fabia from TGS for a rally in Germany. How does the logistics change between national/WRC2 rounds? Well it doesn't.

the sniper
12th January 2019, 22:26

I thought I read they were aiming for Finland, but I may well be mixed up with the Fabia (or taking speculation as news)

I asked Malcolm personally as he was leaving ASI today! :D He said July.

(Not relevant but I also asked him whether there'd be an M-Sport version of the new Mk7 Fiesta road car, like there was with the last generation Fiesta in the UK. Unfortunately he said there were currently no plans for that...)

Mirek
12th January 2019, 23:01
Lets say Kalle rents a Fabia from TGS for a rally in Germany. How does the logistics change between national/WRC2 rounds? Well it doesn't.

Completely different fuel, i.e. different ECU maps (that's more of a problem for someone who is doing the first WRC event with his own team), likely different tyres, much more spare parts needed (that also means you have much more money in the spare parts), more tyres, more fuel needed for WRC event. Everything has to be prepared several days earlier. Much more paperwork. More difficult to plan part rebuilds/changes as what you could do without a change in national event you often can't do in a WRC event, moreover you have much less time for that. Parts which should survive another national event before change/rebuild may need to be changed/rebuilt already before the event. It's many small differences which make the WRC event logistics way more difficult.

It's even more difficult because every event is a new territory and you absolutely must test and test a lot. That's not the case of national events where you drive in the same territory which you know and for which you have setups. Also different fuel and tyres need extra testing to develop a setup for them. the new territory also means that to arrange anything will likely take more time and energy than at home where you know how things go.

Jarek Z
12th January 2019, 23:44
Add much more difficult conditions for R5 cars in gravel rallies. WRC2 drivers start after 10-20 WRC cars, which destroy the surface in a big way. In rallies like Turkey/Acropolis/Cyprus the road is destroyed, full of stones, rocks and ruts made by WRC cars, so it is more likely to damage suspension or tyres, which will increase costs. It doesn't look this way in national level rallies.

https://damcdn.autosport.com/editorial/classic583/1d3ec9d2ef85a5b09d52fd5147834e38.jpg

Essaj
12th January 2019, 23:55
Add much more difficult conditions for R5 cars in gravel rallies. WRC2 drivers start after 10-20 WRC cars, which destroy the surface in a big way. In rallies like Turkey/Acropolis/Cyprus the road is destroyed, full of stones, rocks and ruts made by WRC cars, so it is more likely to damage suspension or tyres, which will increase costs. It doesn't look this way in national level rallies.

https://damcdn.autosport.com/editorial/classic583/1d3ec9d2ef85a5b09d52fd5147834e38.jpg

Well it does. Have you followed national rallies in those countries? I have seen national rallies in Finland where the stage are already so ruined that 4WD is almost a must to get across and there is still 50 or so cars to come.

Essaj
12th January 2019, 23:56
Completely different fuel, i.e. different ECU maps (that's more of a problem for someone who is doing the first WRC event with his own team), likely different tyres, much more spare parts needed (that also means you have much more money in the spare parts), more tyres, more fuel needed for WRC event. Everything has to be prepared several days earlier. Much more paperwork. More difficult to plan part rebuilds/changes as what you could do without a change in national event you often can't do in a WRC event, moreover you have much less time for that. Parts which should survive another national event before change/rebuild may need to be changed/rebuilt already before the event. It's many small differences which make the WRC event logistics way more difficult.

It's even more difficult because every event is a new territory and you absolutely must test and test a lot. That's not the case of national events where you drive in the same territory which you know and for which you have setups. Also different fuel and tyres need extra testing to develop a setup for them. the new territory also means that to arrange anything will likely take more time and energy than at home where you know how things go.

This conversation has really side tracked from WRC2/pro.

I don't know how deep you dig when talking about logistics but, i'm talking about the car/parts/service and needed crew to be at the scene at the needed time.
You should have needed spares for the WRC event in your national rally service, If you happen to wreck the car already in friday at WRC it might be harder to join back on saturday but if it was a national rally your game would already be over. Can you tell me which respectable team only run the necessary parts in the service truck?
More paperwork should become as a routine for the teams.

Fuel in most cases is bought straight from Panta and is there for all the paid crews. = easier for WRC rounds.
Same goes for tires. You can still choose from Michelin and Pirelli and get the tires straight from them = just bring the wheels.

Again, ain't we talking about the single national events vs the WRC round. Yes you need to test but you also test for the national event. If you drive whole championship which includes just same kind of roads of course its cheaper to test for those since actually you really don't need to.

I have no clue about the R5 rent prices but if 100km's is around 20k then WRC round should be 60k + entry fees.

Jarek Z
13th January 2019, 00:06
Well it does. Have you followed national rallies in those countries? I have seen national rallies in Finland where the stage are already so ruined that 4WD is almost a must to get across and there is still 50 or so cars to come.

No, it doesn't. In most national championships there are no WRC cars at all and the number of R5 cars is between 5-10 (not 20-30), so the road is not so much destroyed. I saw the ruts during WRC Rally Poland in 2009 and they were so huge that I didn't know how those small R2 cars at the end of the start list could get through.

deephouse
13th January 2019, 08:17
But I'm sure every driver who isn't driving in wrc is dreaming of being in the field some day so that's why some drivers are rather driving few wrc2 or jwrc events than erc or nationals. WRC teams don't look for guys over there but mostly wrc2 and jwrc and that is also hard because the field is already pretty occupied with fast and proven drivers. If some of these guys right now will not perform this year or if someone will retire (high unlikely) they will first talk to Paddon, Breen, Ostberg (Tidemand could be also in game). Greensmith didn't think will show much with just one rally. The real chance of stepping up have only Kalle.

Rallyper
13th January 2019, 09:48
Could we talk about WRC2 2019 now? Go back to topic. Costs I think is more off topic than talking about JK preparing for WRC2 2019. ;)

I propose new thread: costs in WRC rallying ...

pantealex
13th January 2019, 09:59

True but PLuto works for ERC.

dodge33cymru
13th January 2019, 10:18
If Huttunen is driving with Printsport in Sweden, I guess we can put a fork in Hyundai's works R5 programme? They've been conspicuously quiet about it since the end of last year.

deephouse
13th January 2019, 10:23
They just need to put Paddon in first car and maybe Breen in second, since Ostberg is linked to Citroen and Skoda. (VW).

PLuto
13th January 2019, 11:20
WRC teams don't look for guys over there but mostly wrc2 and jwrc and that is also hard because the field is already pretty occupied with fast and proven drivers.

This is completely not true. Managers of the teams are not stupid and they are closely following lot of championships including national ones. And they are not following only results, but also performance, behaviour, brain... To impress managers, it is not so important to do WRC2 or JWRC, especially if you are not ready enough for it. There is plenty of drivers which were in focus on the managers in their performance and their big step to WRC events, when they were not ready enough for it, made their situation in the eyes of managers much worse.

PLuto
13th January 2019, 11:27
True but PLuto works for ERC.

Come on. I was in JWRC in its golden era around 2005 / 2006, once I was as team manager also for Latvala in that time, I was in some WRC events with Bouffier and of course I am in contact with lot of drivers, so at least I have some "inside" informations...

deephouse
13th January 2019, 12:31
This is completely not true. Managers of the teams are not stupid and they are closely following lot of championships including national ones. And they are not following only results, but also performance, behaviour, brain... To impress managers, it is not so important to do WRC2 or JWRC, especially if you are not ready enough for it. There is plenty of drivers which were in focus on the managers in their performance and their big step to WRC events, when they were not ready enough for it, made their situation in the eyes of managers much worse.

Now tell me, when was last time that some WRC team pull some guy from national over WRC support series?? It will be even harder when old guys are coming back and some of the established needs to stay at home.

steve.mandzij
13th January 2019, 12:51
Come on. I was in JWRC in its golden era around 2005 / 2006, once I was as team manager also for Latvala in that time, I was in some WRC events with Bouffier and of course I am in contact with lot of drivers, so at least I have some "inside" informations...Curious, how did your career get to that point? How did you become team manager? :D

Mirek
13th January 2019, 14:19
Now tell me, when was last time that some WRC team pull some guy from national over WRC support series?? It will be even harder when old guys are coming back and some of the established needs to stay at home.

Large part of the current WRC drivers came from IRC which at that time wasn't even an FIA championship.

deephouse
13th January 2019, 14:30
Large part of the current WRC drivers came from IRC which at that time wasn't even an FIA championship.

WRC2 and WRC3 was established after IRC last year running (2012). Of course they came from there. It was like next big series after WRC.

Mirek
13th January 2019, 14:37
PWRC was the equivalent of the WRC2 and an official support championship to the WRC while the IRC was a private venture of Eurosport. Same machinery was used in both (a mix of S2000, gr.N and R4 cars).

It sitll works to some extend but moved to a lower level - the works teams take quite a lot of drivers from ERC, especially junior drivers and put them into their R5 cars to see their potential in WRC2 - rather than taking guys from JWRC. In fact it's all about the competitive level - European U27 and U28 have had higher competitive level than JWRC just like in its time IRC had higher competitive level than PWRC.

If one day some guy comes into ERC and beats Lukyanuk on all eight events you can be sure he will go into some WRC team at least for a test.

br21
13th January 2019, 14:55
don't argue with Pluto about the things he knows!
even if you try, then prepare yourself for the discussion... i.e. Total not Panta this year for WRC, tires most often you use different, etc, etc.

Rally Power
13th January 2019, 15:13
Well, WRC2 has professional-level competition and the rallies are long and expensive. I heard in the Absolute Rally podcast that a WRC2 rally costs roughly double the amount of an ERC rally. And doing national rallies in some country (Italy, Finland) would probably be even cheaper. And competition-wise, it's good to learn to win, to build mental strength on keeping a lead and finishing a rally under pressure. It's easier to win a national rally or an ERC round than in WRC2. Of course, you have to go to WRC2 at some point if you want to be a professional, but if your career is at the point where you want to learn different types of roads outside your country, it just doesn't feel like a cost-effective idea. If you have the budget/backing and modest results won't take that backing away, then no problem.

Actually I wasn’t trying to compare different series costs but only to say how pointeless it’s to judge drivers about the way they get money to run; as long they pay the bills they’re all entitled to do it, no matter if its 'mammy or daddy' (btw, why not the wife or the gf?), their ASN or a bunch of sponsors supporting them.

But once we got here I’d like to ask about MSport runing deals. Can someone say how much more a JWRC competitor will spend on a series program with MSport than on a ERC U27 with, f.i., Sainteloc on a 208? The same for a WRC2 program on an MSport Fiesta rather than ERC U28 on a Motorsport Italia Fabia or any other car from a small scale team.

It's always amazing to see the number of JWRC and WRC2 cars that MSport rent and service at WRC events; maybe their larger scale, besides being the actual car builders, allows them to offer better deals than the competition, which may became tempting for drivers at the hour of choosing what series to run.

pantealex
13th January 2019, 15:15
Come on. I was in JWRC in its golden era around 2005 / 2006, once I was as team manager also for Latvala in that time, I was in some WRC events with Bouffier and of course I am in contact with lot of drivers, so at least I have some "inside" informations...

My first word was "True"
Which means that I agree with Mirek.
But it´s not secret that you "hate" current WRC2 and JWRC

pantealex
13th January 2019, 15:17

Kalle Rovanperä got factory deal before any WRC level starts.

AnttiL
13th January 2019, 15:20

Wales and Australia 2017?

deephouse
13th January 2019, 15:51
Wales and Australia 2017?

And if he wouldn't get the offer he would definetly be hired at M-Sport immediately.

Essaj
13th January 2019, 16:39

https://prnt.sc/m6nbkg

RS
13th January 2019, 17:45
If Huttunen is driving with Printsport in Sweden, I guess we can put a fork in Hyundai's works R5 programme? They've been conspicuously quiet about it since the end of last year.

Oh. He’s in a Fabia.. so did Hyundai give up on him and/or the R5 programme altogether?

pantealex
13th January 2019, 20:19

https://prnt.sc/m6nbkg

Same man said last summer that Nordgren is more talented than Kalle.

denkimi
13th January 2019, 20:46
due to the contacts of his rich and famous daddy. otherwise he would just be a youngster driving in the local finnish rally's at this time, like everybody else of his age.

Essaj
13th January 2019, 21:40
due to the contacts of his rich and famous daddy. otherwise he would just be a youngster driving in the local finnish rally's at this time, like everybody else of his age.

Which driver has gotten a factory contract without spending any money? The starlet which Kalle started is not really that expensive even if you compare that to other hobbies that kids do nowadays.
Co-Karts, motocross, horse riding and Even hockey and the list goes on are all ridiculously expensive hobbies and kids still do that and have their parents pay their bills.

AnttiL
14th January 2019, 09:55
Latest Monte entry list has Kalle entered for WRC2 Pro, meaning that Skoda is also in...

Jarek Z
14th January 2019, 10:03
Latest Monte entry list has Kalle entered for WRC2 Pro, meaning that Skoda is also in...

Bold move from Kalle. That means that he decided to throw down the gauntlet to Lukasz Pieniazek himself...

AnttiL
14th January 2019, 10:07
Bold move from Kalle. That means that he decided to throw down the gauntlet to Lukasz Pieniazek himself...

You mean whole season? Because Pieniazek is not entered for Monte

Allez Andruet
14th January 2019, 10:13
Latest Monte entry list has Kalle entered for WRC2 Pro
With TGS Fabia? :confused: Pro was supposed to be for factory teams. Or am I completely lost with the Pro rules?

AnttiL
14th January 2019, 10:15
With TGS Fabia? :confused: Pro was supposed to be for factory teams. Or am I completely lost with the Pro rules?

Entered by Skoda Motorsport.

Jarek Z
14th January 2019, 10:17
You mean whole season? Because Pieniazek is not entered for Monte

Sorry then. I thought he will drive Monte, but apparently he is going to start the new season in Sweden.

Allez Andruet
14th January 2019, 10:21
Entered by Skoda Motorsport.

Well in that case...

AnttiL
14th January 2019, 11:28
Apparently Kalle does indeed drive a TGS Fabia in monte, but it's officially entered by Skoda Motorsport for WRC2Pro

pantealex
14th January 2019, 14:30
Apparently Kalle does indeed drive a TGS Fabia in monte, but it's officially entered by Skoda Motorsport for WRC2Pro

Bonato is using CHL-Sport car, so it doesn´t matter which unit you use.

Just entry with "Manufacturer name"

Fast Eddie WRC
14th January 2019, 15:14
This simple change to include WRC2 Pro couldnt have been made any more confusing by the teams and their entries for Monte, not to mention the lack of clarity about the entries for the year ahead.

It could have been a great new addition and still might be, but such a poor start.

Got Mail
14th January 2019, 16:37
Mads just confirmed WRC2 Pro for a full season with DG Sport C3R5.

Starts in Sweden.

Mirek
14th January 2019, 16:42

Since every event potentially counts into WRC2 Pro Kalle can do half of the events with works car (alongside Kopecký maybe) and the other half with TGS car but under Škoda banner. Like that everyone is happy.

EDIT: By everybody I mean also the WRC2 privateers because it means that Kalle will not drive both championships.

EstWRC
14th January 2019, 16:58
Mads just confirmed WRC2 Pro for a full season with DG Sport C3R5.

Starts in Sweden.

this is great news. very interesting to watch what speed he will show against the young talents.

SubaruNorway
14th January 2019, 17:15
First event for Østberg with the C3R5 will be Rally Hadeland in Norway, he will also have a testing role with the WRC
https://parcferme.no/rally/mads-forblir-fabrikkforer-i-citroen-far-stort-ansvar-for-ny-utvikling/?fbclid=IwAR0axXasExjTufMVFeJ_MCYFmAgX8ngF-jENWkNecJ1UVwFJtLOLfkHKzDo

Two day test this week for Gryazin and two events in Norway, starting with Sigdalsrally this weekend followed by Rally Finnskogen.

Allez Andruet
14th January 2019, 17:36
Mads vs. Kalle. That's a proper showdown right there. Great news.

Barreis
14th January 2019, 17:40
Škoda has much better car but it will be interesting fight

Allez Andruet
14th January 2019, 17:42
Škoda has much better car but it will be interesting fight

We'll see. It hasn't been exactly an all-star line-up driving the C3R5 so far.

Myrvold
14th January 2019, 18:03
While the C3 R5 lineup hasn't been stellar, drivers who have used the car have had better results in other cars before and after.
It's a bit like the DS3 R5, that wasn't a great car either. Not to mention Rally Sweden will probably be more of an snow test than anything for the C3.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th January 2019, 18:21
Mads did a good job last season and deserves a proper season-long drive after missing a WRC seat.

Plus Citroen needed to get a decent driver in the C3 R5 to promote its credibility and boost sales against the tough Fabia and Polo competition.

dodge33cymru
14th January 2019, 18:44
Great to see Mads in an R5 for season, good step for WRC2. Now let's get Paddon in an i20 and Breen in a new Fiesta and take it to the Skodas properly!

Duvel
14th January 2019, 19:02
Great to see Mads in an R5 for season, good step for WRC2. Now let's get Paddon in an i20 and Breen in a new Fiesta and take it to the Skodas properly!

That would indeed be very nice, onecan only hope for it!

dimviii
14th January 2019, 19:06
@HuttunenRacing

Season 2019 starts in Rally Sweden with Skoda Fabia R5. Last time with Skoda 1,5 years ago was unforgettable. ”It´s nice to go Sweden and I´m really looking forward the rally. Our plans for the season are still open, but in Rally Sweden we are driving with Skoda.”

steve.mandzij
14th January 2019, 19:10
Mads did a good job last season and deserves a proper season-long drive after missing a WRC seat.

Plus Citroen needed to get a decent driver in the C3 R5 to promote its credibility and boost sales against the tough Fabia and Polo competition.I wonder why he didn't replace Evans at M-Sport, to be honest.

Jarek Z
14th January 2019, 21:36
@HuttunenRacing

Season 2019 starts in Rally Sweden with Skoda Fabia R5. Last time with Skoda 1,5 years ago was unforgettable. ”It´s nice to go Sweden and I´m really looking forward the rally. Our plans for the season are still open, but in Rally Sweden we are driving with Skoda.”

Huttunen sounds like he isn't an official Hyundai driver anymore...

4Regioni
14th January 2019, 22:16
In WRC2 Benito Guerra e Paulo Nobre, Skoda Fabia R5 (Motorsport Italia)

https://www.rally.it/2019/01/nobre-torna-a-tempo-pieno

GravelBen
14th January 2019, 23:41
I wonder why he didn't replace Evans at M-Sport, to be honest.

Probably money.

the sniper
15th January 2019, 00:18
Probably money.

Mads has access to far more money than Evans.

steve.mandzij
15th January 2019, 01:16
Probably money.I was guessing it was Malcom Wilson thing of keeping the drivers he'd bet so much on, like Tanak back in the day, with him, but even Malcom has gone from M-Sport now. I wonder how much of a say he had in the teams' drivers this year.

AnttiL
15th January 2019, 05:50
but even Malcom has gone from M-Sport now. I wonder how much of a say he had in the teams' drivers this year.

:D He hasn't gone anywhere, just focusing on different things in M-Sport than rallying. I bet he still was up there deciding the drivers as much as before.

https://rallysportmag.com/feature-richard-millener-is-the-new-team-principal-at-m-sport/

As for why Elfyn and not Mads, maybe they think Elfyn has been loyal to the team helping Ogier and having years of experience of the team whereas Mads has been elsewhere for the past two years. Both Mads and Elfyn had two podiums last year.

racerx1979
15th January 2019, 07:17
Elfyn also better on Tarmac

RS
15th January 2019, 09:37
Since every event potentially counts into WRC2 Pro Kalle can do half of the events with works car (alongside Kopecký maybe) and the other half with TGS car but under Škoda banner. Like that everyone is happy.

Except Kopecky..

Anyway, Mads is a great addition to WRC2 Pro. With his experience he should be reliable and fast enough to beat at least the Ford guys. But I can’t see anyone but Kalle taking the title if he is doing a full season.

Mirek
15th January 2019, 09:39
Except Kopecky..

Such is life. It's clear that Kalle is the future and they will naturally not push Jan against him.

AnttiL
15th January 2019, 12:11
Eerik Pietarinen is entered under Skoda Motorsport's WRC2Pro entry in Sweden alongside Rovanperä.

m-ast
15th January 2019, 12:29
everyday getting more stupid this WRC2Pro division, It will be a big mess for the normal audicience to understand and it seems that the brands will nominate some "local" driver in each rally running by a private team

PLuto
15th January 2019, 12:38
everyday getting more stupid this WRC2Pro division, It will be a big mess for the normal audicience to understand and it seems that the brands will nominate some "local" driver in each rally running by a private team

I agree. I know that also teams were concerned when FIA has reveal plans for WRC2 Pro...

AnttiL
15th January 2019, 12:41
It will get more messy once the season progresses. Pietarinen and maybe Kalle as well will have drives in both WRC2 and WRC2Pro...it should be that a driver can only participate in one series or then only manufacturers collect these "Pro" points.

PLuto
15th January 2019, 12:41
Eerik Pietarinen is entered under Skoda Motorsport's WRC2Pro entry in Sweden alongside Rovanperä.

Eerik is entered two times - once under WRC2 Pro and once under WRC2. Maybe he wants to win both? :D

Essaj
15th January 2019, 13:41
It will get more messy once the season progresses. Pietarinen and maybe Kalle as well will have drives in both WRC2 and WRC2Pro...it should be that a driver can only participate in one series or then only manufacturers collect these "Pro" points.

If it were only the manufacruters it would just be Kalle and Jan vs Gus and Lukasz.

This will probably be the first and final season of WRC2pro. I don't see how separating R5 field like this make any sense, maybe if Toyota already had their R5 built and ready and all the manus would send 2 drivers to every round with their "development drivers" it could make this pro championship interesting but when it's like this it will be a one big mess.

PLuto
15th January 2019, 13:47
If it were only the manufacruters it would just be Kalle and Jan vs Gus and Lukasz.

This will probably be the first and final season of WRC2pro. I don't see how separating R5 field like this make any sense, maybe if Toyota already had their R5 built and ready and all the manus would send 2 drivers to every round with their "development drivers" it could make this pro championship interesting but when it's like this it will be a one big mess.

I remember few years ago when we were thinking in IRC/ERC to make different classes for manufacturers and nonmanufacturers. And our result was that it is almost impossible to define who is manufacturer or privateer. Ok, in the past it was Abarth, Proton and Skoda Motorsport, this was clear. But what about Peugeot? They always talks it was not official team, cars were run by Kronos, but in fact it was like manufacturer. Another example last year is Nordgren - he was signed manufacturer driver, but ERC races he was doing only on his name as competitor and with car from Wevers (who was running cars for Veiby and Rovanpera in some WRC events). Is he privateer or manufacturer? What about Kajto in ERC, when he was competing under M-Sport Poland. Manufacturer or privateer?

PLuto
15th January 2019, 13:48
Eerik is entered two times - once under WRC2 Pro and once under WRC2. Maybe he wants to win both? :D

Pietarinen WRC2 entry was removed, so he definitely will do "only" WRC2 Pro :)

dimviii
15th January 2019, 13:59
Veiby
https://twitter.com/OCVeiby/status/1085175664842604544

RS
15th January 2019, 20:33
So is Pietarinen actually driving a Skoda Motorsport serviced car in Sweden or not?

Micke_VOC
15th January 2019, 20:33
Emil Bergkvist will do full WRC2-season with a Fiesta R5 and run by J-sport.
Emil and Patrik Barth will start in the following rallies Sweden, Portugal, Sardinia, Finland, Germany, Spain and Wales.

They will start the season in the car he won last year, and when M-Sport to the summer presents their new Fiesta R5, they will switch to it.
Read more here:

https://www.facebook.com/emilbergkvistrally/photos/a.635795853121951/2291386940896159/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

pantealex
15th January 2019, 21:02
So is Pietarinen actually driving a Skoda Motorsport serviced car in Sweden or not?

Same system that Rovanperä is using, TGS car.

Essaj
15th January 2019, 21:08
Same system that Rovanperä is using, TGS car.

Using in Monte*
In sweden Kalle is driving a factory car and Pietarinen TGS one but both under Skoda Motorsport entry

RS
16th January 2019, 05:10
Using in Monte*
In sweden Kalle is driving a factory car and Pietarinen TGS one but both under Skoda Motorsport entry

Lol.. so I guess Skoda are helping with his entry costs so they can claim his points for the manufacturers title.

AnttiL
16th January 2019, 05:12
Lol.. so I guess Skoda are helping with his entry costs so they can claim his points for the manufacturers title.

https://twitter.com/AnttiL_WRC/status/1085160492929335296

I tweeted the same and Jonne Halttunen liked the tweet, so I take that as a confirmation for my theory :D

RS
16th January 2019, 05:17
So the difference between WRC2 and WRC2 Pro is who you name as the entrant on the form.

AnttiL
16th January 2019, 05:22
So the difference between WRC2 and WRC2 Pro is who you name as the entrant on the form.

I think only factory team can nominate WRC2 Pro drivers, but they don't have to be actual factory drivers.