PDA

View Full Version : Reports: Lawrence Stroll to buy Force India

Duncan
24th July 2018, 16:08
Not completely clear yet. Various reporting says a stake, a majority stake or the whole team. Here's one sample:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lawrence-stroll-set-to-buy-force-india-report/

don't really know what to make of this. Good to have more money coming in to the sport, and Lawrence is a lifelong motorsports fan, which can't be a bad thing.

I wonder who Force Canada's number one driver will be next season?

Duncan
24th July 2018, 18:00
Joe Saward has a different take:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00275

gm99
24th July 2018, 19:23
Hasn't everybody and his grand-mum been rumoured to buy Force India (BWT, Rich Energy, even Mercedes)?

For Williams, it would be a huge blow to lose both Stroll's money and Martini sponsorship for next year in addition to a significant portion of the FIA premiums (as they look increasingly likely to finish last in the constructor's this season).

Duncan
24th July 2018, 19:51
Hasn't everybody and his grand-mum been rumoured to buy Force India (BWT, Rich Energy, even Mercedes)?

Pretty much.

For Williams, it would be a huge blow to lose both Stroll's money and Martini sponsorship for next year in addition to a significant portion of the FIA premiums (as they look increasingly likely to finish last in the constructor's this season).

Yes, going to be rough times for Williams next season. The reason that I give this story more credence than the others is that I think that Stroll will be headed to FI in any case; with Ocon apparently going to Renault, and FI needing money, it doesn't seem like it would be hard for Lawrence to get a deal done. Given Lawrence's ready availability of serious money, I could well see him at least demanding a stake in the team (as well as a seat for his boy) in exchange for keeping them liquid.

As for Williams, I guess they're going to be looking for a new driver with deep pockets. Marcus Ericsson has no contract for next season AFAIK, and Ferrari may be looking for a seat for one of their junior drivers at Sauber. Maybe that will be the next shuffle?

Tazio
25th July 2018, 00:17
Larry needs to stop living vicariously through his son!:idea:

Bagwan
27th July 2018, 15:30
Larry needs to stop living vicariously through his son!:idea:

His son has no chance with the car he has . It's impossible .
We have yet to see if he can drive a car with any potential .

Saward is saying that the FI team will be in court on Wednesday this week , so maybe we'll see a very well run pink team get a new stream of cash , and get a real look at how well the lad can do in a car that can reach Q3 .

Duncan
27th July 2018, 19:47
Reports suggest some cash coming from somewhere:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force-india-investment-imminent-financial-difficulties-1064768/

Tazio
27th July 2018, 20:50
His son has no chance with the car he has . It's impossible .

We have yet to see if he can drive a car with any potential .

Saward is saying that the FI team will be in court on Wednesday this week , so maybe we'll see a very well run pink team get a new stream of cash , and get a real look at how well the lad can do in a car that can reach Q3 .Just joking dawg
;)

Like why does Jacques think The Boss is christ almighty? :angel:

Bagwan
1st August 2018, 11:54
It sounds as though Larry is paying the salaries to keep things afloat , and son Lance may be in pink come Spa .
That could have Ocon in yellow , and Sainz in orange .

If it happens , it may open a rainbow full of moves .

gm99
1st August 2018, 17:01
I don't quite understand why Renault seem ti want to get rid of Sainz after having been very keen last year to acquire him from Toro Rosso, especially as I think he has done a good job this season. I'm not sure Ocon would be doing much better.

If Stroll does leave Williams, it would most likely lead to a Kubica comeback, though with that car, he might not be doing his aspirations a lot of good.

Bagwan
1st August 2018, 19:33
I don't quite understand why Renault seem ti want to get rid of Sainz after having been very keen last year to acquire him from Toro Rosso, especially as I think he has done a good job this season. I'm not sure Ocon would be doing much better.

If Stroll does leave Williams, it would most likely lead to a Kubica comeback, though with that car, he might not be doing his aspirations a lot of good.

Word from Saward is that instead of Kubica , it may be Merc boy George Russell that gets the nod at team Willy , to get him some cheap seat time .

Bagwan
1st August 2018, 22:39
And , speaking of George Russell , he just turned the unofficial lap record at the Hungaroring .
I didn't mention he is currently leading the F2 championship , and would be a "feel-good" story for team Willy , perhaps even more than the Kubica saga , being he's British . Tally-ho , and all that .

Being that Williams are now talking about some more Merc know-how in parts supply , it may fit well to be team "B" for a bit .

N4D13
7th August 2018, 20:36
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19420

So well, it's not exactly Stroll buying the team. Rather, he's found enough people so that all of them will put in the required money. But well, I'm glad that the Force India mess is finally sorted out.

Bagwan
23rd August 2018, 19:34
It's , for the time being , called "Racing Point Force India".

It sounds like they won't actually keep the original entry , and miss out on any money as a result , but will essentially start anew , with Otmarr at the helm as CEO .

Now , if they can get Ocon to Williams , Lance might have a chance .

Nitrodaze
23rd August 2018, 20:38
It's , for the time being , called "Racing Point Force India".

It sounds like they won't actually keep the original entry , and miss out on any money as a result , but will essentially start anew , with Otmarr at the helm as CEO .

Now , if they can get Ocon to Williams , Lance might have a chance .

I don't understand the rule that strips them of their hard earned points because they change their name. I think it is unfair. If they were going to lose money anyway for changing the name, l would have thought they would go all the way with the name change. Racing point force india kind of sounds wack to me.

Bagwan
24th August 2018, 12:27
I don't understand the rule that strips them of their hard earned points because they change their name. I think it is unfair. If they were going to lose money anyway for changing the name, l would have thought they would go all the way with the name change. Racing point force india kind of sounds wack to me.

I wouldn't expect that name to last .
Keeping the present name will give them some continuity until the end of the year , and since they punched way above their weight as Sahara Force India , they'll feel some pride in that , even if they don't keep the points .
For some time now , they've been saying they've got parts drawn that they can't afford to manufacture , so I would expect them to be making some speed in the next few races , to show everyone that the turmoil that has so dominated the life of their former owner still hasn't affected the way they race .

What would be your choice for the name ?

Starter
24th August 2018, 14:35
Pink Panther Racing? (sponsored by Owens-Corning of course.)

Bagwan
24th August 2018, 15:26
Force Canada .

Bagwan
24th August 2018, 15:58
Force Up Canadian Kid .

Nitrodaze
24th August 2018, 21:27
I wouldn't expect that name to last .
Keeping the present name will give them some continuity until the end of the year , and since they punched way above their weight as Sahara Force India , they'll feel some pride in that , even if they don't keep the points .
For some time now , they've been saying they've got parts drawn that they can't afford to manufacture , so I would expect them to be making some speed in the next few races , to show everyone that the turmoil that has so dominated the life of their former owner still hasn't affected the way they race .

I am sure there are internal political reasons for the change, but it sounds daft to me if they are going to be losing points and money to make a pointless change that does not significantly alter the identity of the team. I think removing the sahara part of the name from livery and merchandising would have been enough. I just worry that they now have some hot heads in the Force India boardroom that may upset the balance of the team.

I think Force India did very well these last few years because the boardroom were hands off the operations of the teams. I just worry that the team has been saved but may not produce the successes that it was capable of due to meddling shareholders. A good indication of this is that Bob Fernley has resigned or was fired ; whatever. It may be the first signs that this team is heading to the back of the grid.

Bagwan
24th August 2018, 22:49
According to Otmarr , it's business as usual for him running things , but with real promise of money in the pipe .
That doesn't sound like things are being meddled with .

I think the consortium that has bought in recognizes the team is capable of doing a lot with a little .
Stroll's buying in at Team Willy had him complaining , but he was suggesting answers like getting more parts from Merc when the promised performance wasn't there .

So , if you can't make the car faster , buy a faster car .
Then there's nothing to complain about .

Nitrodaze
25th August 2018, 08:50
According to Otmarr , it's business as usual for him running things , but with real promise of money in the pipe .
That doesn't sound like things are being meddled with .

I think the consortium that has bought in recognizes the team is capable of doing a lot with a little .
Stroll's buying in at Team Willy had him complaining , but he was suggesting answers like getting more parts from Merc when the promised performance wasn't there .

So , if you can't make the car faster , buy a faster car .
Then there's nothing to complain about .

Of course Otmarr would say that to the media, the reality behind the scenes might be different. The signs do not look good at the mo. But it would come out in the next few weeks and months, l am sure.

Bagwan
30th August 2018, 21:15
So , it sounds like Perez might find a ride at McLaren , leaving Estaban and Lance , who are said to be good friends , at Force whatever .
That would be convenient .

truefan72
1st September 2018, 02:35
I am sure there are internal political reasons for the change, but it sounds daft to me if they are going to be losing points and money to make a pointless change that does not significantly alter the identity of the team. I think removing the sahara part of the name from livery and merchandising would have been enough. I just worry that they now have some hot heads in the Force India boardroom that may upset the balance of the team.

I think Force India did very well these last few years because the boardroom were hands off the operations of the teams. I just worry that the team has been saved but may not produce the successes that it was capable of due to meddling shareholders. A good indication of this is that Bob Fernley has resigned or was fired ; whatever. It may be the first signs that this team is heading to the back of the grid.

agreed.
On the one hand i'm happy the team got saved. on the other hand, a bit annoyed it is the stroll consortium whose sole existence it seems is to give lance stroll an F1 seat and cause upheaval. I'm sure williams as awful as they are probably are glad to see them leave. But sadly for froce india, it seems their days as a firm and well run outfit (financial woe's from the former owner aside) are over. Changing the name for 2018 was the first dumb idea. having stroll come in for a seat fitting was another. The team may have been saved, but seem to be heading in a very wrong direction.

Bagwan
1st September 2018, 12:05
agreed.
On the one hand i'm happy the team got saved. on the other hand, a bit annoyed it is the stroll consortium whose sole existence it seems is to give lance stroll an F1 seat and cause upheaval. I'm sure williams as awful as they are probably are glad to see them leave. But sadly for froce india, it seems their days as a firm and well run outfit (financial woe's from the former owner aside) are over. Changing the name for 2018 was the first dumb idea. having stroll come in for a seat fitting was another. The team may have been saved, but seem to be heading in a very wrong direction.

You seem pretty angry about this .

Claire says they'll miss Lawrence not being there , and has always defended Lance's driving , saying she hasn't given him the car to show his talent .

All and sundry have said the car is crap and that not even Lewis could drive it , so what is your issue with Stroll , other than he has a wildly rich dad ?

And changing the name disassociates the team with all the Indian banks that are chasing Vijay , so what's the problem with that ?

And , but for Fernley , who was Vijay's man , every job was saved and left to run exactly as it has , so the "firm and well run outfit" should carry on just fine .

Williams may benefit , too , as there will need to be some compensation doled out .

Get a grip . It will all work out .

Bagwan
1st September 2018, 14:45
Hey , Truefan , how did the rich kid do today ?

Nitrodaze
1st September 2018, 15:35
You seem pretty angry about this .

Claire says they'll miss Lawrence not being there , and has always defended Lance's driving , saying she hasn't given him the car to show his talent .

All and sundry have said the car is crap and that not even Lewis could drive it , so what is your issue with Stroll , other than he has a wildly rich dad ?

And changing the name disassociates the team with all the Indian banks that are chasing Vijay , so what's the problem with that ?

And , but for Fernley , who was Vijay's man , every job was saved and left to run exactly as it has , so the "firm and well run outfit" should carry on just fine .

Williams may benefit , too , as there will need to be some compensation doled out .

Get a grip . It will all work out .

I just remembered you are Canadian. But this is not a Lance Stroll bashing comments. Just worries that Force India may replace Williams at the back of the grid if the team is distabilized by the new owners. Ownership styles are different, and this new one may not necessarily be compatible with the culture of the team which has allowed it to perform well above its weight in budget terms.

As for Lance, l am a fan of the kid. I think we are yet to see his true talent and Williams has failed to deliver a package that would allow him to showcase his skills. The Strolls departing Williams would definitely sting Williams, as they now have to go find a new sponsor of Stroll's financial calibre. With how their 2018 season has gone, it may be hard to find that kind of investment but not impossible.

Force India having key members of the management team depart after a takeover suggest that all is not quite well. Especially since it appears other investors in the team may also be departing in 2019. But they have performed impressively on track since the takeover.

Bagwan
1st September 2018, 16:23
While you're right that I am a Canadian , I am yet to become a real Lance fan .
He's a pretty negative little guy when things aren't going right , and that certainly comes off looking a little spoiled , with his background , but so far I am trying to overlook it , being he's been driving such a dog of a car .

Of course he'll be getting loads of flack for triggering the roundabout , but it's still turning for now and I have a feeling Ocon , who everybody sees as out , will be right beside him in the end .

I do hope the kid does well , but Lance will always be the rich kid who did well even if he manages to win it all .