PDA

View Full Version : 2018 French GP

N4D13
23rd June 2018, 15:12
So we're into Q2 already and there's not even a thread for this yet?

McLaren are looking absolutely dreadful this weekend. 16th and 18th. Jesus.

This is also looking like a cakewalk for Merc.

The Black Knight
23rd June 2018, 16:21
This forum is dead.

Grosjean is an embarrassment. I can’t understand how he still has a drive in F1. I’ve lost track of how many red flags and safety cars he has caused this year.

Tazio
23rd June 2018, 16:26
This is also looking like a cakewalk for Merc.
Unless it rains! :bulb::bulb:

Starter
23rd June 2018, 17:08
This forum is dead.

Grosjean is an embarrassment. I can’t understand how he still has a drive in F1. I’ve lost track of how many red flags and safety cars he has caused this year.
Agree, the Haas is far from a great car, but it's better than it's driver.

Owain
23rd June 2018, 21:49
Well, I'm excited!

I watched almost every F1 race for more than 30 years, before finally drifting away from F1 towards the end of last season. Suddenly I'm back, because - while my girlfriend was channel-hopping this evening - I saw "French Grand Prix" flick across the screen. I must have done a double-take.

There hasn't been a French Grand Prix since 2008. There hasn't been a Grand Prix at Paul Ricard since 1990. I was immediately online, and sure enough F1 is back at one of the sport's most historic circuits.

Now I can't wait for the race tomorrow. I'm not expecting much from it, but at least it's got me watching again. :)

N4D13
24th June 2018, 14:23
Well, I'm excited!

I watched almost every F1 race for more than 30 years, before finally drifting away from F1 towards the end of last season. Suddenly I'm back, because - while my girlfriend was channel-hopping this evening - I saw "French Grand Prix" flick across the screen. I must have done a double-take.

There hasn't been a French Grand Prix since 2008. There hasn't been a Grand Prix at Paul Ricard since 1990. I was immediately online, and sure enough F1 is back at one of the sport's most historic circuits.

Now I can't wait for the race tomorrow. I'm not expecting much from it, but at least it's got me watching again. :)
Keep in mind that today's Paul Ricard is different from the old layout:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paul_Ricard_1986.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Circut_Paul_Ricard_2018_layout_map.png

It's a bit like the Nürburgring or the Hockenheimring, which technically are historical circuits, but nothing like what they used to be. And while the layout of Paul Ricard is largely similar, there's also the new runoffs, which obviously weren't a feature of the circuit back in the day.

Tazio
24th June 2018, 14:53
damn dawg freakin'Vettle!

N4D13
24th June 2018, 14:57
I'd need to rewatch that start, but shouldn't Bottas have left a bit more room there instead of just going for the apex without minding Vettel?

N4D13
24th June 2018, 14:57
By the way, it's funny that two of the three French drivers took each other out and neither of them is Grosjean.

Tazio
24th June 2018, 15:10
Vettel 5 sec penalty for causing an accident!

truefan72
24th June 2018, 15:28
Only 5 seconds for ruining a competitors race. Smh
Bottas better have a real issue otherwhise it is embarrassing that vettel has sliced through the field and he is struggling to get past the midfield

Tazio
24th June 2018, 15:32
Floor damage confirmed!

The Black Knight
24th June 2018, 16:38
Only 5 seconds for ruining a competitors race. Smh
Bottas better have a real issue otherwhise it is embarrassing that vettel has sliced through the field and he is struggling to get past the midfield

It’s a crazy leniant penalty. Ruins Bottas race and ends up ahead of him after the pit, then a piss poor penalty. It should have been a forced ten second stop go penalty so he lost over 30 seconds but, as usual, Ferrari gets the leniant call.

Bagwan
25th June 2018, 13:19
I think Sebastian got the penalty he deserved , but only just .
He had his race ruined as well , in what I would call more of a "racing incident" than what you guys are seeing .

Bottas was on the outside , coming across the nose of the red car into the corner . His line was simply too tight for Vettel to handle .
Had he not been tagged from behind by the charging Seb , it would have been a sweet move , sliding into and out of the arms of danger , a move showing why we watch this sport .

But , alas , a hair too tight left him at the back with a hard battle against a broken floor .
He knew where Vettel was .
He also knew how much air these cars move and how much that effect has on those in close proximity , even at those slow speeds .

I'm not saying it was all Bottas's fault by any means , because he wasn't the one who locked up and slid into a competitor .
But , I do see him as playing his role in it .

So , 5 seconds was enough .

schmenke
25th June 2018, 15:00
Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with the fact that Verstappen finishes on the podium, mostly due to having gained an advantage by cutting across the run off area during the first lap chaos? I know that he was taking avoiding action, but he still benefitted.

Seems to me that this entire GP was a track-limit free for all :\\

Starter
25th June 2018, 16:53
I think Sebastian got the penalty he deserved , but only just .
He had his race ruined as well , in what I would call more of a "racing incident" than what you guys are seeing .

Bottas was on the outside , coming across the nose of the red car into the corner . His line was simply too tight for Vettel to handle .
Had he not been tagged from behind by the charging Seb , it would have been a sweet move , sliding into and out of the arms of danger , a move showing why we watch this sport .

But , alas , a hair too tight left him at the back with a hard battle against a broken floor .
He knew where Vettel was .
He also knew how much air these cars move and how much that effect has on those in close proximity , even at those slow speeds .

I'm not saying it was all Bottas's fault by any means , because he wasn't the one who locked up and slid into a competitor .
But , I do see him as playing his role in it .

So , 5 seconds was enough .
You make a good argument, but I disagree. Bottas left room, not much, but still room and Seb made the error and hit him. It shouldn't have been a huge penalty given it was the first lap, but still more than was given.

gm99
25th June 2018, 18:51
It’s a crazy leniant penalty. Ruins Bottas race and ends up ahead of him after the pit, then a piss poor penalty. It should have been a forced ten second stop go penalty so he lost over 30 seconds but, as usual, Ferrari gets the leniant call.

As did Verstappen in China when he hit Vettel - he got a time penalty but still ended up ahead of Vettel. As usual, Red Bull got the lenient call ;)

Bagwan
25th June 2018, 19:22
You make a good argument, but I disagree. Bottas left room, not much, but still room and Seb made the error and hit him. It shouldn't have been a huge penalty given it was the first lap, but still more than was given.

I totally agree that he left room , but just not quite enough , and thus , was hit .
A little more room and Seb may not have locked up .

He would have had him soundly beaten into the next corner even if Vettel had managed to get through without hitting him , being he was on the inside for the next turn .

Everybody was a bit rabid about making up as many positions as they could in the first lap , as predictions were that it would be very processional around this track .
It wasn't one of Seb's best moves , but it was far from the worst .
He braked a hair too late , but wasn't the only one dancing that tango .

airshifter
29th June 2018, 12:21
Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with the fact that Verstappen finishes on the podium, mostly due to having gained an advantage by cutting across the run off area during the first lap chaos? I know that he was taking avoiding action, but he still benefitted.

Seems to me that this entire GP was a track-limit free for all :\\

At first view I thought maybe he got an advantage, but in post race they showed how much he lifted and the time delta change. I'm sure they looked at all the telemetry as well.

Really when you have a mess like that at race start, it's hard to even account for all that happens. Several others got pushed away from the racing line on the inside and probably lost more time, but those on the outside really had little choice but to either bail off the track or risk damage.

I totally agree that he left room , but just not quite enough , and thus , was hit .
A little more room and Seb may not have locked up .

He would have had him soundly beaten into the next corner even if Vettel had managed to get through without hitting him , being he was on the inside for the next turn .

Everybody was a bit rabid about making up as many positions as they could in the first lap , as predictions were that it would be very processional around this track .
It wasn't one of Seb's best moves , but it was far from the worst .
He braked a hair too late , but wasn't the only one dancing that tango .

Agreed. The stewards can confirm telemetry, which for the most part sorts out whether it was just a racing incident or a complete banzai move without regard to others. I'm not sure he would have made the turn even if Bottas backed out, but it was far from reckless. As for the penalty, just IMO. If the same incident happened without floor damage to the Merc, people would be saying that the penalty was too harsh.

Not a bad race for returning to France. I think the track has some potential for future years.