PDA

View Full Version : 2018 spain gp

truefan72
13th May 2018, 13:54
Grosjean is a madman. That deserves a race ban. Absolute madness. Unbelievable

gm99
13th May 2018, 13:56
Grosjean is back to his Lotus ways, it seems...

longisland
13th May 2018, 14:03
Grosjean reacted to Magnussen’s twitch. It’s not as bad as Baku

gm99
13th May 2018, 14:14
But his attempt of "recovery" by just flooring it into oncoming traffic was not the best of ideas.

A FONDO
13th May 2018, 14:14
Pretty boring after the restart, hope some rain arrives indeed.

truefan72
13th May 2018, 14:24
Poor pit stop from mercedes. Cost him p2. Useless.

gm99
13th May 2018, 14:50
Another great race by Leclerc!
Overall, a usual boring Catalunya GP.

truefan72
13th May 2018, 15:12
Not sure why vettel pitted. Cist him p2

truefan72
13th May 2018, 15:14
Another great race by Leclerc!
Overall, a usual boring Catalunya GP.

Yeah. Leclerc is pretty Damn good. Pulling that sauber into lofty heights. Impressive

gm99
13th May 2018, 15:20
Not sure why vettel pitted. Cist him p2

I have no idea. Maybe Ferrari thought the Mercedes' tires would go off towards the end.

The Black Knight
13th May 2018, 16:05
Devastating dominance from Mercedes this race. It’s going to be interesting to see if it’s track specific or they can be equally as dominant in Monaco next week.

I spent the first half of the race on board with Hamilton and it was as the best balanced car a driver could hope for. Nice smooth movements on the wheel into the corner, no corrections. I think when it hits the window and peak performance the Mercedes is unstoppable but getting it into that window every race is the challenge for Mercedes this year.

longisland
13th May 2018, 16:13
Race: 6/10 a typical Barcelona race. Even the mid race retirements of Ocon & Vandoorne can’t spice up the race.
Driver of the day & rave goes to Hamilton. Broke the qualifying & Race Lap Record & a flawless race.
Donkey goes to Williams for having a dismal weekend. The car was all over the place.

The Black Knight
13th May 2018, 18:07
Also want to say that the first lap incident was 100% Grosjean’s fault. I’ve been saying it for years, that guy is simply not good enough to be in F1. He is a liability not only to himself but to all other drivers on the track. He gets a three place grid penalty for Monaco but that is not enough. He has had multiple chances and he is not at the required level. He has caused three safety cars in 5 races and now is still a first lap nutcase.

He stated to the Stewards that he felt his momentum was taking towards the middle of the track which is why he applied the throttle to take him to the right hand side of the circuit to avoid the on coming cars even though his momentum at the time was actually taking him to the left of turn 3.

Only one solution for a moron like him, to revoke his license for his safety and, most importantly, the safety of all other drivers on the circuit.

zako85
13th May 2018, 19:09
Below-average race. Ferrari MIA. Grosjean was major nuts.

truefan72
13th May 2018, 22:48
Also want to say that the first lap incident was 100% Grosjean’s fault. I’ve been saying it for years, that guy is simply not good enough to be in F1. He is a liability not only to himself but to all other drivers on the track. He gets a three place grid penalty for Monaco but that is not enough. He has had multiple chances and he is not at the required level. He has caused three safety cars in 5 races and now is still a first lap nutcase.

He stated to the Stewards that he felt his momentum was taking towards the middle of the track which is why he applied the throttle to take him to the right hand side of the circuit to avoid the on coming cars even though his momentum at the time was actually taking him to the left of turn 3.

Only one solution for a moron like him, to revoke his license for his safety and, most importantly, the safety of all other drivers on the circuit.

...and he only receives a 3 place grid penalty for Monaco. Sirotkin got the same for a mostly racing incident that did not result in 2 other driver's races being ended, as well as potentially destroying other cars and not to mention a serious risk of potentially tragic injuries resulting in his moronic driving. At the minimum a 10 place grid drop or made to start at the back of the grid would have been the appropriate punishment. I on the other hand think this merited a race ban. This was just has bad as his Spa incident that got him one.

airshifter
14th May 2018, 00:04
Almost as boring as most GPs we watch in Spain.

I still can't figure out what Grosjean was thinking.... oh wait, he wasn't thinking at all!

The Mercs had some mighty pace today. Overall even with Bottas on old tires, Seb had nothing at all for him after an extra stop. I still think tires/cars/setup are playing a larger hand than in most seasons. We saw the top teams make their last qually run on a harder set of tires. How many times has that happened in a single qually session?

With all the retirements that took place, one of the lowest finishing numbers we have had in a while as well. Even after Rogro punted people out at the start, they kept dropping. By seasons end we will probably see some grid penalties as teams go over their allotted components.

I somehow missed (or the coverage didn't show or mention) Ricciardos spin after the restart. No wonder he was out there in no man's land. His pace towards the end was fairly solid, but too little too late.

N. Jones
14th May 2018, 00:40
How did Max get in front of Seb?
Grojean, yeah, it was probably better to spin it off track and fight from the back but it looks to me like he thought he could hold it.

Duncan
14th May 2018, 01:15
A bit processional at times, but I didn't think it was that bad of a race overall.

Obviously, OMG WTF @ Rogro. Got off very lightly with just a 3 grid spot penalty for that. Gasly and Hulk must have been spitting.

The track obviously worked well for the Mercedes this weekend. Be interesting to see if that continues, or if it was just the specific situation that allowed them to get the tires switched on properly this time. Raikkonen may be in trouble later in the season with engine penalties; hopefully the engine they switched out earlier in the weekend is salvageable.

Good race from Max, too. He could have many more podiums/wins (and could have had a few already) if he can just stay focused and not throw positions away.

Duncan
14th May 2018, 05:39
By the way, essential info on power unit usage:

https://www.fia.com/file/68088/download?token=i5hdBSOO

Bagwan
14th May 2018, 12:21
Did Max cut down Lance's tire when he hit him from behind ?

N. Jones
14th May 2018, 13:37
That's a good question but I don't have a good answer. :D

schmenke
14th May 2018, 14:16
Borecelona

Nitrodaze
14th May 2018, 16:54
Grosjean is a madman. That deserves a race ban. Absolute madness. Unbelievable

Grosjean did not do a stupid thing really He was trying to avoid running into the car ahead of him and lost the back of the Haas. The puzzling thing was why he did not run straight on into the gravel. But that is easy to say, l was not seating in the car at that moment. He was just unlucky, l think.

The Black Knight
14th May 2018, 18:16
Grosjean did not do a stupid thing really He was trying to avoid running into the car ahead of him and lost the back of the Haas. The puzzling thing was why he did not run straight on into the gravel. But that is easy to say, l was not seating in the car at that moment. He was just unlucky, l think.

No he was just an idiot that applied the throttle mid spin

Zico
14th May 2018, 22:48
No he was just an idiot that applied the throttle mid spin

I thought he'd put the dodgy driving patch he went through behind him ling ago ... absolute zero chance of that Ferrari drive he was hoping for now.
At this rate he needs to see the shrink that helped him last time and have no more mistakes if he wants to rescue his career methinks.

N4D13
15th May 2018, 11:11
Another driver who didn't exactly cover himself in glory this time around was Verstappen. He was super lucky not to end up needing another pitstop or racking up yet another DNF through his own fault.

Bagwan
15th May 2018, 11:37
Another driver who didn't exactly cover himself in glory this time around was Verstappen. He was super lucky not to end up needing another pitstop or racking up yet another DNF through his own fault.

Despite hitting another driver from behind , and dropping wing bits on the racing line later in the lap , Max found himself on the podium .
I"m guessing that it was because he didn't cut Lance's tire ?
But then , didn't I see that wing bit sparking away under somebody else's car ?

It seemed all a bit dodgy to me , as the only talk about it was it's effect on the downforce , not the crappy driving involved .

truefan72
16th May 2018, 02:57
Despite hitting another driver from behind , and dropping wing bits on the racing line later in the lap , Max found himself on the podium .
I"m guessing that it was because he didn't cut Lance's tire ?
But then , didn't I see that wing bit sparking away under somebody else's car ?

It seemed all a bit dodgy to me , as the only talk about it was it's effect on the downforce , not the crappy driving involved .

agreed!

Koz
17th May 2018, 23:46
Look at this video guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oqTWWnQXuc

Crashstrappen hits him BEFORE the light turns green.

N4D13
18th May 2018, 07:48

Which light would that be? I can only see one light trackside and the video isn't all that good, so I can't really know whether that is yellow or green.

Bagwan
18th May 2018, 14:05

If that's true , then Max should really have been investigated for this move , but I can't see it clearly either .

What I did see from this video was that , counter to what I've read about about the incident elsewhere , Lance didn't appear to have slowed excessively in front of him .
He moved very predictably , and , as a backmarker should , waited for Max to pass him as the yellow flags were lifted .

I wish I could speak the language in the video . Does either commentator actually say that Max took off before the light ?

Clearly , Lance's tire couldn't have been cut , as surely they would have protested , but , there certainly was contact , so why no investigation at all from the stewards ?
They seemed only concerned with whether to meatball him potentially for the flailing piece , until it fell off onto the racing line , not with the incident that dislodged it .
Perhaps the reasoning for Max not receiving any sanction was that Lance's tire wasn't cut , thus not affecting his race , but one might ask Lance whether there was any effect on his confidence in the clipped tire to run at full race speed at least for a lap or two after it happened .

This kind of move at Monaco has two cars into the wall .

EightGear
18th May 2018, 20:27

Crashstrappen hits him BEFORE the light turns green.But his lights on the steering wheel are green.