PDA

View Full Version : Can Redbull win more than three races this year?

Nitrodaze
22nd March 2018, 10:22
By the close of the 2017 season, Redbull was giving as good as it got winning three races last year. With aerodynamic maestro Adrian Newey back to the drawing board for the 2018 car, would you venture to say Redbull may win more than three races this season. Hamilton is surely looking at them with wary eyes. I am sure Ferrari are very nervous of Redbull but quietly confident they have a better engine than the Renault block.

I think Redbull would win some races on pure merit rather than snapping up wins due to Merc or Ferrari dropping the ball. And these two teams are sure to have one or two bad weekends this season. Hence, Redbull could shape the championship outcome this season. But that would depend on whether they can win more than three races. What do you think?

Zico
23rd March 2018, 20:38
I think it will be tougher for them this year. Power remains their likely weak area but in the wet they should be very competitive... it's a great levelled. If it is wet this weekend I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Max ended up the top podium step.

N4D13
23rd March 2018, 22:40
I'm with Zico on this one. I would be very surprised if they managed to improve on their 2018 win tally. I don't expect Merc and Ferrari to be dropping the ball that many times, although it remains to be seen how competitive this Ferrari is. I would imagine the red cars should be better than the RBR, but who knows...

Nitrodaze
25th March 2018, 18:09
I'm with Zico on this one. I would be very surprised if they managed to improve on their 2018 win tally. I don't expect Merc and Ferrari to be dropping the ball that many times, although it remains to be seen how competitive this Ferrari is. I would imagine the red cars should be better than the RBR, but who knows...

As it goes, it turned out to be very close between Ferrari and Redbull. The race pace of the Merc is within reach of both Ferrari and Redbull it appears. At least the Ferrari and l am sure the Redbull can stay with the Merc. Close enough to spring a surprise win it appears. If Melbourne is anything to go by.

zako85
26th March 2018, 12:53
Yes, if they figure out how to overtake Haas-Ferrari.

N. Jones
26th March 2018, 19:12
They look nothing like a race winner. I would be surprised if they are constantly on the podium.

Nitrodaze
26th March 2018, 19:39
They look nothing like a race winner. I would be surprised if they are constantly on the podium.

The strength of the Redbull will become apparent when we get to one of the tracks with lots of twists and turns. Melbourne was difficult for everyone. Even Bottas found it difficult to pass the Renault of Hulkenburg.

Nitrodaze
15th April 2018, 10:29
Well the bull stood tall today and chalked up their first win of 2018. Seeing how strong their race pace was in China, l think they can win more than three races this season.

N. Jones
15th April 2018, 20:26
I don't know, they don't look like a consistent challenger. If Max is going to continue to get into accidents, regardless of fault, it is going to take more of these overtaking moves that actually come off for them to win more races. Sure, they may have better luck at the tracks that suit them but you can say that for Mercedes and Ferrari too. The trick is to find that winning form where it doesn't suit them.

The Black Knight
19th June 2018, 04:59
The worst kept secret in F1 is out. Red Bull are switching to Honda next year..

Zico
20th June 2018, 10:07
The worst kept secret in F1 is out. Red Bull are switching to Honda next year..

Yeah, maybe even threadworthy in itself?
I might sound risky at first but when you think it through it really does make sense.

Huge pot of Honda money, full works collaboration with no clash of interests in the relationship, unlike staying with Renault who they are never going to be able to really compete at the very front with regardless whether the Honda partnership is a success or not. It really is the obvious choice IMO... and for BOTH parties.

The 2 year agreement coincides nicely with the new 2021 regs. They either stay with Honda if they prove to be a worthwhile improvement... or possibly walk away from F1 completely blaming Honda and start afresh in another discipline or sport that can provide at least the same exposure value to their 'Koolade' brand.

Big Ben
21st June 2018, 09:45
I hope they get an engine like those Honda made for McLaren. There's no team right not in F1 that deserves them more.

Zico
21st June 2018, 12:38
I hope they get an engine like those Honda made for McLaren. There's no team right not in F1 that deserves them more.

Perhaps... but I suspect RB have a far better chance (than Mac ever did) of forming a working technical relationship by actually being on the same page.
Mac were completely incompetent ...IF.... they actually believed.. that they had one of the best chassis on the grid.

Maybe Mac knew the truth all along.. and it was to keep Fernando there and out of their faces. :D

MrJan
21st June 2018, 12:50
that can provide at least the same exposure value to their 'Koolade' brand.

I'm amazed they even feel the need to keep advertising, given how well known the brand is. I also find it astonishing just how many sports they're involved with, and to the extent that they are. Take World RX for example, they sponsor two teams in a big way, and at least 5 drivers wear their kit as a result. Then you peg in all the motorbikers they seem to sponsor and the big events (Flugtag, Soapbox, Crashed Ice, X-Fighters, Supernatural, Rampage, Hardline etc. etc.) and then they give away free products too. How are they selling so much sugary drink at £1 a can to make the kind of money to allow that investment? And that's without considering the two F1 teams ;)

The Black Knight
21st June 2018, 14:34
I'm amazed they even feel the need to keep advertising, given how well known the brand is. I also find it astonishing just how many sports they're involved with, and to the extent that they are. Take World RX for example, they sponsor two teams in a big way, and at least 5 drivers wear their kit as a result. Then you peg in all the motorbikers they seem to sponsor and the big events (Flugtag, Soapbox, Crashed Ice, X-Fighters, Supernatural, Rampage, Hardline etc. etc.) and then they give away free products too. How are they selling so much sugary drink at £1 a can to make the kind of money to allow that investment? And that's without considering the two F1 teams ;)

Amazing what you can do with a bit of advertising and a drink that tastes like cough syrup. Absolutely horrible drink. I bought one drink once, long before RBR arrived in F1. Took two tastes and threw the rest in the bin. Never again.

Zico
21st June 2018, 17:25

Totally agree... It would be interesting to know how their books balance for their two F1 teams. Make money or run at a loss bar the advertising exposure they bring?

Starter
22nd June 2018, 12:53
Tells you what the mark up is on that stuff. $$$$$

Starter
22nd June 2018, 12:55
Perhaps... but I suspect RB have a far better chance (than Mac ever did) of forming a working technical relationship by actually being on the same page.
Mac were completely incompetent ...IF.... they actually believed.. that they had one of the best chassis on the grid.

Maybe Mac knew the truth all along.. and it was to keep Fernando there and out of their faces. :D
I suspect that the (relatively) new management at Mac is more to blame. Certainly not the team it used to be.

Nitrodaze
7th July 2018, 17:29
Now Redbull have won three races with so many opportunities to win ahead. Surely they would win at least one more before the season is out.

Nitrodaze
13th November 2018, 17:50
As it goes YES THEY CAN. They have won four races and were denied what looked like a definite fifth win at Interlagos by a crash between Verstapenn and Ocon. Now would you bet against them going for the 2019 title next season?

Firstgear
13th November 2018, 20:56
I think the inexperience of their driver lineup and the unreliability of the Honda will move them down a step on the ladder.

gm99
13th November 2018, 21:12
. Now would you bet against them going for the 2019 title next season?

Yes, I would. Honda have shown nothing since their re-entry into F1 (or indeed since 1991) that would imply they are capable of creating a championship-winning engine. I doubt Button would have won in 2009 had he been powered by Honda rather than Mercedes.

Zico
14th November 2018, 00:26
Yes, I would. Honda have shown nothing since their re-entry into F1 (or indeed since 1991) that would imply they are capable of creating a championship-winning engine. I doubt Button would have won in 2009 had he been powered by Honda rather than Mercedes.

Hmmm... McLarens chassis/aero inadequacies has also made the Honda unit look even worse though.

Armed with all the Torro Rosso/Honda unit data they have gone ahead with the switch... which they would not have done if they didnt know/believe it can improve them.

Probably too many ifs and unknowns to make an educated guess but with Newey on board, I wouldnt write them off just yet. Their overall competitiveness has surprised me this season so much that it genuinely wouldnt surprise me if they came became real contenders next year.

Lets hope so..