PDA

View Full Version : Could somebody explain me some stuff ? ._.

Nestii
10th March 2018, 20:30
Hello ! I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. On what condition can a WRC driver restart the rally, after a crash ? Like Lappi in Rally Mexico this year.

N.O.T
10th March 2018, 21:34
If the car is ready for the next day he can restart it... it does not matter if he retires of a mechanical or crash.

He cannot change car though so if the mechanics can fix it and the FIA approves that the car is safe to drive he can do super-rally the next day.

kirungi okwogera
10th March 2018, 22:46
It's worth noting also that super-rally has heavy time penalties - I think it's five minutes per missed stage. So a driver will often restart intending to get one or two points, or just to practice on the stages and get data for the team. Or (if the driver is fast) he might try and grab some points from the power stage, but that's it. You can't get a good result if you super-rally.

dnb
11th March 2018, 02:48
One of the most important things is that the rollcage inside the car has to be undamaged. But it doesn't break so easily.

A FONDO
11th March 2018, 07:11
It's worth noting also that super-rally has heavy time penalties - I think it's five minutes per missed stage. So a driver will often restart intending to get one or two points, or just to practice on the stages and get data for the team. Or (if the driver is fast) he might try and grab some points from the power stage, but that's it. You can't get a good result if you super-rally.

You don't even know they are 7 minutes now. Man just needs to peek a look at stage times list and notice it immediately.

The advantage of superrally (whatever starting order rules are) is that your team can repair the car all night long, while normal competitors have only a few minutes for checks and adjustments.

Nestii
11th March 2018, 15:50
Okay, thanks for Answers guys ! ^^

Tho...could also somebody explain me what’s going on with the road order on Sunday in Rally Mexico ? Why is Neuville first on the road, even tho he’s not the one with the worst time ? Does super-rally put you after the whole pack ?

ESTR
11th March 2018, 17:33
Road rules are written for Ogier... and closest rival is obviously who

OHL
11th March 2018, 19:16
The advantage of superrally (whatever starting order rules are) is that your team can repair the car all night long, while normal competitors have only a few minutes for checks and adjustments.

Actually, the teams have a fixed service time of 3 hours to repair the car and the car must be placed into parc ferme 4 hours before the start of the next day's leg. So, in some case it may not be possible to get the full 3 hours.

46.2 has the time penalties for missing a stage
47.1 & 47.2 have the service time allowed and technical requirements to restart.

Regarding road order for Sunday, the order is P1 drivers in reverse classification order from the day before. The crews that run Rally 2 will start after the others. Hence why Neuville was first on the road again. Unlike what ESTR has written, the rule has been like this for many years.
45.2 covers this area.

All regulations for these kind of things can be found here if you're interested: FIA Sporting Regulations (https://www.fia.com/file/65287/download/9275?token=9vDTtjTT)

Nestii
12th March 2018, 12:31
Actually, the teams have a fixed service time of 3 hours to repair the car and the car must be placed into parc ferme 4 hours before the start of the next day's leg. So, in some case it may not be possible to get the full 3 hours.

46.2 has the time penalties for missing a stage
47.1 & 47.2 have the service time allowed and technical requirements to restart.

Regarding road order for Sunday, the order is P1 drivers in reverse classification order from the day before. The crews that run Rally 2 will start after the others. Hence why Neuville was first on the road again. Unlike what ESTR has written, the rule has been like this for many years.
45.2 covers this area.

All regulations for these kind of things can be found here if you're interested: FIA Sporting Regulations (https://www.fia.com/file/65287/download/9275?token=9vDTtjTT)

Thanks a lot for explaining ! Sure will look through the rules. I’m trying to understand WRC for a while already, but i realised it’s not so easy xD

AnttiL
12th March 2018, 12:43

Another important factor is that you can score manufacturer points through Rally2. Like in Mexico, All of Latvala, Lappi and Suninen scored manufacturer points through Rally2. The non-manufacturer cars in between are just counted out. You can score manufacturer points even if you're 2 hours behind the winner, as long as you're at least the second best finisher in your team.

N.O.T
12th March 2018, 12:53
To answer the #6 post

Neuville went after the pack because he choose to... and thats why he got a 4 min penalty on top of his time in the final classification, he did that because he wanted the road to be as clear as possible from the loose gravel but also to follow Ogiers lines and breaking points.

Isn't just the greatest feeling in world when you try and be helpful to others especially when you educate them on trivial things ?? I feel a level of accomplishment that can compare with very few things in life...

I feel like the spider luring innocent victims into my den using a false perception of kindness so i can feast on them later when they dare argue with me... ain't i the best thing this forum has apart from the ignoring function ?

AnttiL
12th March 2018, 13:11
Tho...could also somebody explain me what’s going on with the road order on Sunday in Rally Mexico ? Why is Neuville first on the road, even tho he’s not the one with the worst time ? Does super-rally put you after the whole pack ?

Yes. But not for the power stage.

MrJan
12th March 2018, 13:25
You can't get a good result if you super-rally.

Didn't Loeb finish second in Monte once? Early on when it had only just been introduced, think it was when he was in the blue 'privateer' Xsara with the Gauloises/GoFast livery.

Edit: Yep, 2006 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9bastien_Loeb#2006
Don't think it was the WRCs strongest era, would definitely be difficult to achieve that now.

Nestii
12th March 2018, 13:41
Also Why did Tidemand go First in The Power stage ?

Mirek
12th March 2018, 14:15
Because it's the promotor who has the right to decide the starting order for the PS.

AL14
12th March 2018, 14:50
Nestii, in a ranking from 1 to 10 how difficult is it to understand all the rules behind WRC? And in your opinion, how much do you think they can demotivate a curious potential fan like you and many others to follow the sport?

OHL
12th March 2018, 16:15
I feel a level of accomplishment that can compare with very few things in life...
... ain't i the best thing this forum has apart from the ignoring function ?

https://i.imgur.com/v4ms6qY.gif

Nestii
12th March 2018, 16:25
Because it's the promotor who has the right to decide the starting order for the PS.

Ah okay ^^ that explains a lot of my questions, thank you.

Nestii, in a ranking from 1 to 10 how difficult is it to understand all the rules behind WRC? And in your opinion, how much do you think they can demotivate a curious potential fan like you and many others to follow the sport?

It's actually just a bit confusing :p I started fallowing WRC during Rally Poland in the 2017, and managed to pick up quite a lot of Rules, just by watching and listening to Comentators. It didn't really demotivate me, it was just a bit annoying sometimes....I got a hang of it by now, just had a problem with Road Order and such. So i'll give it a 3/10 on my account.

My mother on the other hand, who's 50+, and started watching with me during Rally Australia 2017 got quite demotivated. it wasn't until Rally Sweden 2018 that I explained the most basic rules to her. She got so demotivated, that she skipped Monte Carlo enitrely :p But I managed to keep her intrested. Just asked her and she said it is like a 8/10. Now It's cool, as she happily watches Rallies with me ^^

I guess It's just important to have somebody explain some rules for you. Hard to get them on your own, but it's possible.

AL14
12th March 2018, 17:22
Ah okay ^^ that explains a lot of my questions, thank you.

It's actually just a bit confusing :p I started fallowing WRC during Rally Poland in the 2017, and managed to pick up quite a lot of Rules, just by watching and listening to Comentators. It didn't really demotivate me, it was just a bit annoying sometimes....I got a hang of it by now, just had a problem with Road Order and such. So i'll give it a 3/10 on my account.

My mother on the other hand, who's 50+, and started watching with me during Rally Australia 2017 got quite demotivated. it wasn't until Rally Sweden 2018 that I explained the most basic rules to her. She got so demotivated, that she skipped Monte Carlo enitrely :p But I managed to keep her intrested. Just asked her and she said it is like a 8/10. Now It's cool, as she happily watches Rallies with me ^^

I guess It's just important to have somebody explain some rules for you. Hard to get them on your own, but it's possible.

Huge respect for your mother that actually bother initially. Love that.
You are like me when I start to follow WRC, struggled a lil bit at the beginning but then the challenge and the spirit of the sport was so great that I managed to understand most of it and follow every event.

People like your mother though... It's a pity because I know a lot of people that could be interested to the sport, like all my friends that I have convinced, over the years, to follow me to watch WRC rally in Sardinia (watching live in the stages) and that really loved watching the cars but after a while they really give up with the sport because it's a big barrier for the casual fan following all the action, also due to some complicated rules.
Anyway thanks for your answers :)