PDA

View Full Version : Daily common talk

A FONDO
14th February 2018, 08:50
Wonder if it would be better to have a thread like this, instead of opening many threads for small things or not bothering with the forum at all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV-VPYNW4AE3Ksj.jpg:large

Zico
15th February 2018, 21:40
Sounds like one way to at least get a spark going in this section of the forum again, ok... my contribution..

Hey, how you doing A. Fondo?

:)

Starter
16th February 2018, 00:06
There used to be a lot of action in Chit Chat (sometimes too much :D).

Franky
16th February 2018, 08:18
What do you guys think of the 4 part Amazon documentary Grand Prix Driver?

I personally found it quite awful. It felt like they tried to save the project as much as possible but access that's just limited to pre-season doesn't really give you much, when you can't even show everything.

A FONDO
16th February 2018, 14:47
Sounds like one way to at least get a spark going in this section of the forum again, ok... my contribution..

Hey, how you doing A. Fondo?

:)

It's not a name actually, it is a term in Spanish for FULL THROTTLE or FLATOUT ;) :beer:

Zico
18th February 2018, 23:48
It's not a name actually, it is a term in Spanish for FULL THROTTLE or FLATOUT ;) :beer:

Perhaps, but you also called yourself that, you should keep it bro..

A FONDO
26th February 2018, 11:45
Pre-season testing is on, and again MCLaren is the first to interrupt the session.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW8yT2SX4AInpcK.jpg:large

A FONDO
6th March 2018, 10:07
Start of pre-season test 2 today. Mclaren broke down less than an hour after the start

10:59

Oh no, the McLaren has broken down
The McLaren has broken down at the start of the pit straight...

The red flag is out while the marshals scurry to assist Vandoorne.

But a poor start to Test Two for McLaren with just four laps and two breakdowns on the clock this morning.

https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.net/85r62GcnTUW4fF33hTnW_2018-03-06-PHOTO-00000018.jpg

N. Jones
6th March 2018, 21:27
...and I choose them for my FGP team! :bigcry:

I think sledding down Eau Rouge would probably be the only way I would want to ride it!

A FONDO
6th March 2018, 21:59
Verstappen also broke down again. But he did 130 laps.

Nitrodaze
6th March 2018, 22:21
Pre-season testing is on, and again MCLaren is the first to interrupt the session.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW8yT2SX4AInpcK.jpg:large

Can't blame Honda for this one. ;-)

Nitrodaze
6th March 2018, 22:24
Start of pre-season test 2 today. Mclaren broke down less than an hour after the start

https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.net/85r62GcnTUW4fF33hTnW_2018-03-06-PHOTO-00000018.jpg

Electric failure. They would come good. But not very encouraging. The chaps at Torro Rosso would be having belly ache from laughter tho.

Nitrodaze
6th March 2018, 22:33
Verstappen also broke down again. But he did 130 laps.

Yea, despite starting their 2018 programme a few weeks earlier than they previously do, they still seem to be lagging behind on their readiness to go racing. I heard aero bits were falling off during test One. When this new car is completely ready, l have a feeling it is going to be very competitive.

Big Ben
9th March 2018, 10:50
The cars don't look that bad with that halo device from certain angles. From other angles it looks like the drivers have a toilet seat above their heads.

N4D13
9th March 2018, 12:32
Funnily enough, I think Alonso hasn't had a single test day that wasn't disrupted. Vandoorne did put in a lot of laps yesterday, but luck is not on Fernando's side.

Maybe karma caught up to him for claiming that he "doesn't need" the final day of testing (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134715/alonso-i-dont-need-final-day-of-f1-test)?

N4D13
10th March 2018, 16:19
That said, Alonso is the guy who has completed the least laps of all the regular drivers - but still, he's done 263 laps. That's 65.75 laps per day, a race distance being 66 laps. So even if McLaren have had quite a few reliability issues, it hasn't been THAT bad. It's just that most other teams have been bulletproof and so Macca are looking terrible in comparison.

Nitrodaze
10th March 2018, 20:58
That said, Alonso is the guy who has completed the least laps of all the regular drivers - but still, he's done 263 laps. That's 65.75 laps per day, a race distance being 66 laps. So even if McLaren have had quite a few reliability issues, it hasn't been THAT bad. It's just that most other teams have been bulletproof and so Macca are looking terrible in comparison.

Compared to last year, it is commendable. But these recurring issues suggest it may continue through part of the season. I think the main headline here, is that Mclaren are not bulletproof. The other point is, they have not had as good a winter preparation compared to Torro Rosso that has taken the Honda engine of them.

In truth, most Mclaren fans are quietly worried for them. That said, the car seems to be rapid. And Alonso would have plenty opportunity to take the car into the fight at the front.

Zico
11th March 2018, 00:59
If Haas have Ferraris latest engine, I have a sneaky suspicion that power is probably where their surprising pace came from in the most recent test.
In which case I think Ferrari may well dominate in Oz.

What do you guys think?

N4D13
11th March 2018, 11:30
I would be extremely surprised if Ferrari dominated in Oz. Drawing conclusions from testing is always difficult, but the Mercedes has looked mighty on cornering and they have a history of sandbagging in tests. Furthermore, there have been few technical changes from 2017, so a significant change in the pecking order seems unlikely at best.

Zico
11th March 2018, 14:59
I would be extremely surprised if Ferrari dominated in Oz. Drawing conclusions from testing is always difficult, but the Mercedes has looked mighty on cornering and they have a history of sandbagging in tests. Furthermore, there have been few technical changes from 2017, so a significant change in the pecking order seems unlikely at best.

Pirelli reckon the time differences between the tyre grades in testing were...

Mediums to softs: 0.8s
Softs to supersofts: 0.4s
Supersofts to ultrasofts: 0.6s
Ultrasofts to Hypersofts: 0.7/0.8s

Ferraris 1:17.182 came on the hypersoft compound while HAAS's 1:18.360 on the Supersoft.... when you work out the compound time differences it suggests that HAAS have either made a HUGE leap forward... or that Ferrari engine is a beast.

Yes, I know, I know... it is indeed almost impossible to glean anything from testing times due to sandbagging. The apparent pace of the HAAS who might have less reasons to sandbag?.. was just a bit of an eye opener for me.

One thing is for sure, the 2018 cars are substantially quicker than last year. A 3 way title fight is all thats needed now.. :)

Nitrodaze
11th March 2018, 15:49
Pirelli reckon the time differences between the tyre grades in testing were...

Mediums to softs: 0.8s
Softs to supersofts: 0.4s
Supersofts to ultrasofts: 0.6s
Ultrasofts to Hypersofts: 0.7/0.8s

Ferraris 1:17.182 came on the hypersoft compound while HAAS's 1:18.360 on the Supersoft.... when you work out the compound time differences it suggests that HAAS have either made a HUGE leap forward... or that Ferrari engine is a beast.

Yes, I know, I know... it is indeed almost impossible to glean anything from testing times due to sandbagging. The apparent pace of the HAAS who might have less reasons to sandbag?.. was just a bit of an eye opener for me.

One thing is for sure, the 2018 cars are substantially quicker than last year. A 3 way title fight is all thats needed now.. :)

Actually, l would not be too surprised if Ferrari leads the way at Oz. But testing finished with the Ferrari engine emitting some mysterious fumes on startup. Mercedes thinks Ferrari might be hurt by the new oil burning regulations, hence the fumes. If that is the case, Ferrari might actually be behind the Redbull; until they resolve this issue. That said, it has not stopped Vettel from banging out fastest lap times during testing.

Realistically, l cannot see any team giving the Mercedes any trouble at Oz. They seem most prepared this season than they were last season. Also bear in mind that the new Mercedes engine now torques out a massive 1000 BHP. All the signs suggest that Mercedes is going to be mighty this year.