PDA

View Full Version : Phenomenon of Casey Stoner - Ducati

leopard
8th May 2007, 05:03
In this opening season, new phenomenon of Casey Stoner and Desmosedici is in the fame of motorsports world, especially for two wheels category motoGP.

He is convincingly proofing himself as rider isn't easily getting nervous, and invulnerable against Rossi's maneuver. Most of persons being asked about who is your favorite winner in this round, the answer must be one of Rossi and Casey. In term of popularity, Stoner might be only the second to Rossi, but prolonged Rossi's domination has prompted expectation Stoner is to win in every round.

Ducati might have the power and opportunity on winning in the last two-three years ago. He is Stoner, rider that has ability to maximize the advantage of Ducati.

There aren't too much riders proclaiming nickname for themselves that is oftentimes seen in the back of the leather or on the bike. I can remember only a few such as:

Valentino Rossi = The Doctor
Nicky Hayden = Kentucky Kid
Loris Capirosi = Capirex
John Hopkins = Hopper
Sete Gibernau = Give way give way now (totally kidding for the last :D )
etc

I wonder what is the appropriate nickname for Stoner? Rossi has ever stated the he is afraid of the speed of The Devil Stoner, It sounds challenging but I doubt it would be acceptable for everyone.

ChrisS
8th May 2007, 06:52
last season people called him Crashey Stoner and Rolling Stoner because he crashed a lot, I think Stoner is fine he doesnt need a nickname

Also its too early to start calling him phenomenon and saying he is only 2nd to Rossi in popularity

Ranger
8th May 2007, 06:57
He is a guy that I didn't think would be in contention for this year's title... but he may as well win it at this rate.

And as for the nickname, how about...

Rocky

Reason being:

stoner = stone = rock = rocky

And it has a nice ring to it too. He, like Rocky in the film, may also be a champion by year's end too.

leopard
8th May 2007, 07:43
last season people called him Crashey Stoner and Rolling Stoner because he crashed a lot, I think Stoner is fine he doesnt need a nickname

Also its too early to start calling him phenomenon and saying he is only 2nd to Rossi in popularity
Music stuff alias like Rollingstoner actually sounds cool though, as is the Hammer Hamilton and Hammerfall.

Stoner is fine with kangaroo for the hole of 'O'

I said phenomenon in this opening season, wins 3 out of 4. :)

leopard
8th May 2007, 07:50
He is a guy that I didn't think would be in contention for this year's title

What about now? :)

Rocky, good logical reasoning

Ranger
8th May 2007, 08:22
What about now? :)

Oh yeah.. you'd better believe it!

I wouldn't say he's the best rider in MotoGP (that's reserved for Rossi atm), but it is IMO extremely likely that Casey could become champion with more wins than the doctor himself... which, I imagine, would be a bit of a slap in the face for Rossi, who has been the undoubted #1 rider since 2001, despite Hayden taking last year's title.

With Lorenzo more than likely arriving on the scene as team-mate to Rossi next year, I think that the new generation of MotoGP riders are gradually progressing further towards the front of the grid to challenge Rossi consistantly.

It would be very nice if Rossi stayed around another 5 years just so I can see him vs. the new boys. It would be a great comparitive benchmark.

leopard
8th May 2007, 09:09
I think he's passed examination on his first learning year with LCR that most of which he spent crashing a lot.

It doesn’t seem he really cares to what Rossi’s maneuver ‘killing’ his rival in the chicane using such as either ‘late in first out’ or ‘first in last out’, that means he is mentally strong. That maneuver took Rossi himself to his own mistake riding wide.

Stoner could be serious stumbling stone, if he can maintain the pace up to this opening season, for the best rider ever.

Mach24
8th May 2007, 10:52
STONED!

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here. Casey has had a great start but I think Rossi has done a fine job in damage control.

Let the games begin!

ShiftingGears
8th May 2007, 12:45
I'm in a sense of disbelief as last year I never thought that he'd win 3 out of the first 4 races this year. How he's matured in between seasons (ie staying on the bike and keeping the pace) is quite extraordinary. Stoner for '07 Champion!

The Phantom
8th May 2007, 13:44
GP writer Michael Scott wrote of Stoner when he moved to MotoGP: "... it's better to be fast and crash a lot than to be slow and safe, because you can always learn not to crash. Casey Stoner is a prime example... he came close to winning the 250 title last year by reducing his crash rate significantly, but not completely. Now he has a V5 satellite-team Honda. It is only fair to expect that the Australian hot-shoe, still only 20, might take a little time to be able to keep a 990 on the road at the speeds he wants to go." (AMCN, Vol55 No14 25 Jan - 07 Feb 2006)

And fair enough too. Even if you've spent virtually your whole life racing motorcycles as Casey has, the premier class bikes are still fearsomely fast beasts that take a bit of learning.

Looks to me like he's pretty much there. And Rossi will fight to the death, meaning we're in for a brilliant season. Fingers crossed that neither suffers a crash injury.

T-D
8th May 2007, 14:07
his best quality is his composure. he has said that he was not riding at maximum in china. i don't know if it's true or not, but i like that he said it. :)

jonny hurlock
8th May 2007, 15:21
how about a nick name for casey stoner is:

baby face assasin

i think his is still the youngish person on the grid and his assasining the grid at this moment of time.

Allyc85
8th May 2007, 17:42
funny how everyones got closer to Rossi now theres more electronics and this year less power.....

Hotbikerchic33
9th May 2007, 08:23
Yeah Casey is doing well so far but we're only 4 races in! the Doctor has plenty of time and races to catch up!! :D

So its not Casey as champion yet!! :(
but at least he is giving The Doc a run for his money!! :p

Mach24
9th May 2007, 08:33
funny how everyones got closer to Rossi now theres more electronics and this year less power.....

Maybe it is that Rossi is a little older, a little wiser, a little slower?

Maybe he has found a girlfriend???? Perhaps not!

Corny
9th May 2007, 09:32
yeah he's got a girlfriend :D ! but he already's got that for longer, so I don't know if that makes him slower

tha_jackal
9th May 2007, 12:07
Maybe he has found a girlfriend???? Perhaps not!

Boyfriend? hes allready got one.. :D

Mach24
9th May 2007, 12:23
You know I have never mentioned this in public. Seems I am not the only one thinking what I am thinking. (Not that there is anything wrong with it)

tha_jackal
9th May 2007, 14:13
This debate has been raging for a long time.. I think its funny that no one knows, it makes him more interesting :P even though there have been several snaps of him released kissing topless girls and on his 'special' helmets he has illustrations of ladies in swimsuits.. its hard to tell.. And like u say, who cares!? ;) :)

Schultz
9th May 2007, 15:17
Let's not forget how many races it took Casey before he started crashing last year :p I mean up until Mugello he was consistently getting top 5 finishes with a second place thrown in. I think the real proof in the pudding will come through some of the European rounds where Casey showed some cracks last year, and where the tracks might not benefit the Ducati's power as much. Casey hasn't yet had a decent battle with Dani Pedrosa either, so it will be interesting to see if he can maintain his concentration, unlike on a couple of occasions last year.

Having said all that, Casey is cleaning the floor with Capirossi, and Checa's performance in the LCR Honda has not even been close to what Casey was able to produce. More important than all of that is how well Casey has stood up to pressure from a 7 time world champion. Let's hope he can keep it up.

And T-D I am sure Stoner was giving it all he could up until Rossi's mistake. Seeing the bike slide around like it did, and seeing Casey have a couple of moments is a testament to that.

Hotbikerchic33
9th May 2007, 15:57
Rossi isn't Gay :D :)

jim mcglinchey
9th May 2007, 21:59
Har, har, it gives new meaning to the thread "Rossi- Elias touching again".

tha_jackal
10th May 2007, 02:24
Har, har, it gives new meaning to the thread "Rossi- Elias touching again".

:D :D :D Gold! Argh, how did a thread about Stoner turn into discussion about Rossi's orientation :confused: my bad... :p

leopard
10th May 2007, 04:30
Rossi will never fall in love with a man other than Edwards :D

NinjaMaster
10th May 2007, 11:13
Let's not forget how many races it took Casey before he started crashing last year :p I mean up until Mugello he was consistently getting top 5 finishes with a second place thrown in. I think the real proof in the pudding will come through some of the European rounds where Casey showed some cracks last year, and where the tracks might not benefit the Ducati's power as much. Casey hasn't yet had a decent battle with Dani Pedrosa either, so it will be interesting to see if he can maintain his concentration, unlike on a couple of occasions last year.

Having said all that, Casey is cleaning the floor with Capirossi, and Checa's performance in the LCR Honda has not even been close to what Casey was able to produce. More important than all of that is how well Casey has stood up to pressure from a 7 time world champion. Let's hope he can keep it up.

And T-D I am sure Stoner was giving it all he could up until Rossi's mistake. Seeing the bike slide around like it did, and seeing Casey have a couple of moments is a testament to that.

I reckon you've got it spot on there, Schultz. His start has been sensational but it's a long year. I've got no doubt that Rossi is still the red hot favourite to take the title this year but Stoner will make him work for it. The Duc's big advantage in power will be reduced in Europe but still handy and it's not slow around the corners.

About Rossi (though it's completely off topic), I'm pretty sure the WLF on his leathers would strongly suggest he isn't gay. For those who don't understand what it means, click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentino_Rossi) and read the last paragraph under the Nicknames section.

neninja
10th May 2007, 17:00
I went to an open night where Casey and Colin Edwards were both guests last year.

Apparently the older guys like Edwards had been trying to get Casey to settle down and stop crashing. Colin said that when Casey calmed down and didn't over ride the bike he'd be world champion. I bet even he wasn't expecting that it might be this year.

leopard
11th May 2007, 05:03
I admitted he is a fearless rider since he was riding 250 cc and challenging Dani Pedrosa for the title, and at the same time I was one of his doubters of his continued crashing to be able to perform any better riding the Duke.

It was because the more senior riders like Bayliss, Checa, Sete, and even Loris conceded that the GP7 is not an easy drivable bike. I think what has Collin said about overriding is true for some extent. Trying to calm down a bit and take the passion in the right command, you will easier rein the bike optimally.

This might be too early that there are many motogp fans said, Rossi is now having really a mean competitor than his former opponents like Biaggi and Sete, they were not more than overrated riders in position to challenge Rossi more than their real capability.

Stoner is still young, still has 6-7 years to go to be Rossi as he is now.

I wonder Is it the real name his parents gave him, Stoner reminds me to workmanship, stoner, carpenter, etc :laugh: