PDA

View Full Version : Skype

race aficionado
13th December 2006, 01:58
I notice a couple of forumers are Skype users.
My sisters got me into it. We all live in different parts of the world and it's way cool when we can all be suddenly speaking through the computer.
We save on long distance telephone bills - granted that you can now get some very good long distance deals - but nothing beats "free".

But there lies in the question. The service is free but I have learned to know that nothing is free in this world.
I wonder if it is a mayor spy wear and by signing in they know all about my keyboard adventures . . . .

hmmmmmmm.

:s mokin:

Daniel
13th December 2006, 02:08
I used to use Skype lots before I moved over here to the UK and did spyware checks all the time and never found anything suspicious. There is some stuff on the net going on about a Skype-Kazaa bundle that had spyware but as far as I know Skype itself does not contain spyware.

http://www.skype.com/download/adwarefree/

Skype promotes itself as being Adware, Spyware and Malware free so feel free to sue them if they do give you something ;)

Skype also makes money from doing VoIP services to real phones and sending text messages and such. That's where their revenue comes from mainly :)

Personally I'd give it my stamp of approval :up:

Daniel :wave:

race aficionado
13th December 2006, 02:11
You know what Daniel?
That was very useful information.
Thanks!

:)

Daniel
13th December 2006, 02:13
No problems :D Happy skyping! I should also say that I find Sype's video conversation better than MSN. I used to get a couple of FPS between me and Caroline at best. With Skype it was quite smooth. Not 30fps or anything like that but smooth enough :)

Roamy
13th December 2006, 02:22
I used skype quite abit and with headsets it was way better than any communication. It will gain market share and the phone companies are sh!tting a ring around themselves over this one..

real_illusions
13th December 2006, 02:23
yeah, i like skype

all the chats and voice calls and stuff are encrypted to a very high standard.

there was a rumour that it was cracked, but i no nothing further than that

Daniel
13th December 2006, 02:29
Me and Fousto agree on something computer related!!!!! ;) Surely this is a forum milestone.

I forgot to mention that if you're going to spend a lot of time on Skype it's best to invest in a decent headset.

I've got a Logitech 350 USB headset which is nothing short of brilliant. When I first got it it was somewhat uncomfortable but after a few days of use it became very comfortable. As with most things Logitech it works well and it works on Mac's which I'm sure is important for you RA :) Sure it's probably twice the price of other headsets but it's very good in my opinion

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=10013

They even have a cheaper non USB one if that's more your thing :)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=10011

race aficionado
13th December 2006, 02:29
Hey fousto!
Nice to hear from you again!

Viv
13th December 2006, 13:32
I use skype in my univ too and I haven't had any problems with it, in voice clarity or the security though there were concerns about the latter.

donKey jote
13th December 2006, 22:54
I skype too. In fact I'm just back from a quick chat with McMuff in Australia. :wave: :dozey:

Dave B
13th December 2006, 23:06
It will gain market share and the phone companies are sh!tting a ring around themselves over this one..
Not the ones who actually own a network and can charge for the data travelling over it.

Daniel
14th December 2006, 00:17
Or the ones that can block the ports commonly used by VoIP services :D

J4MIE
14th December 2006, 00:41
I think Skype is cool :D :up:

But as usually nobody wants to talk to me ;(

jonv
14th December 2006, 00:45
Not tried skype yet....but would it work with a Bluetooth headset....on a Mac ?

Daniel
14th December 2006, 01:04
Should do. Especially if the bluetooth headset is Skype certified.

J4MIE
14th December 2006, 01:06
Yeah I just discovered yesterday that it will work with my new mobile :D :up:

Erki
14th December 2006, 10:08
I haven't used it so far but if someone wants, I might skype with her/him.

Donney
14th December 2006, 12:05
I used to but then my computer died and I haven't installed it on the new one, I guess I should.