PDA

View Full Version : Pass the torch already

Methanol 1
8th May 2007, 01:38
Al Unser Jr. and Michael Andretti.

Great CART champions and great racers in their day. They had their moments and it was great seeing them do so well.

It's time to pass the torch to the new generation please. I'd rather remember them as the great champs they were.

There has been too much negative criticism with Al Unser's antics and then Michael Andretti's departure from CART really left a bad taste in the mouth to many fans.

Just some thoughts.

Meth

indycool
8th May 2007, 17:26
Michael Andretti finished third at Indy in his only start in the ranks of open-wheel last year, behind his son and Sam Hornish......don't guess he's over the hill yet. If his departure from CART is something anyone cares about now, they're living in the past.

Al Unser Jr. still has a following at the Indianapolis 500, the only race he still runs, is being elected to the Speedway's Hall of Fame this year, and is driving for Foyt, who's in his 50th year at Indy as a driver and/or car owner.

If you don't like 'em out of some allegiance to CART, whatever floats your boat.

Bob Riebe
8th May 2007, 17:54
If the young boys want to run, then they earn the chance; nothing is supposed to be given out of sympathy for the wannabes.

uncre8tv
8th May 2007, 23:28
Anyone who can jump in the car after a year off and post a 221 is worthy of running in my book. Kinda glad all his other drivers (even Marco) posted better times than him today though.

Al Jr. didn't really have any charm in the first place, then his tabloid stuff just made him that much less attractive. Then he comes out and admits he was a brat to AJ when he was 6 years old, and you know he's never been a nice guy. (just kidding, but the puddle splash story does just kinda fit his personality, don't it?)

LTalbot
8th May 2007, 23:35
Michael still has the talent and that strong desire to drink that milk. Al Jr. would also love to taste the milk again. Despite his and other members of his family's public battles with their demons, he is a really nice guy and it would make a great story to see him run and win. I'll be rooting for him.