PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day, give me a break!

NCSRFSH
7th May 2007, 23:47
What happened to Opening Day? 7 cars on the track! This is about the fans, not the drivers or the teams. If TG wants us to get excited about the whole month of May he needs to start it out right. For what the fans received yesterday, $5 was a ripoff.

Jonesi
8th May 2007, 02:03
Not really opening day, just 2nd ROP day. Even in the CART or USAC eras that was never a big deal.

Better question is why AL UNSER JR, BUDDY LAZIER, JIMMY KITE, P J JONES & STEPHAN GREGOIRE weren't out there.

FerrrariF1
8th May 2007, 02:19
Not really opening day, just 2nd ROP day. Even in the CART or USAC eras that was never a big deal.

Better question is why AL UNSER JR, BUDDY LAZIER, JIMMY KITE, P J JONES & STEPHAN GREGOIRE weren't out there.

Maybe the team funds don't kick into the 2nd week....I beleive that if you sign up for the lowest package of engine costs you don't get the engines to run the cars until the monday after first week quals.

Hoss Ghoul
8th May 2007, 03:37
I think 2 weeks is enough time for practice.

Indy isn't the crazy innovative test-bed it once was, tradition or not they don't need a month on track to get up to snuff, IMO.

Jonesi
8th May 2007, 04:09
Maybe the team funds don't kick into the 2nd week....I beleive that if you sign up for the lowest package of engine costs you don't get the engines to run the cars until the monday after first week quals.

Yes, it may mean that 10 of the 37 entries (not counting extra Penske's no one expects to see on the track) are all 2nd week deals. I would have thought the two 2-Dallara entries (Unser & B Lazier) would be well funded enough for full month, with the one car or Panoz teams going 2nd week route.

Toe_Knee_Jorge
8th May 2007, 13:05
like others said it wasn't really opening day the rookie program used to take place in April then on Mother's Day weekend the track would (and will) open for real.

instructions for the real opening day:
Go to the track
get a tenderloin
get a fosters
watch the cars and the girls
repeat as needed

Captain_Rohn
8th May 2007, 14:06
I like your thinking Toe Knee......

NCSRFSH
8th May 2007, 15:48
Sunday, May 6
A.J. Foyt Opening Day presented by the Indianapolis Star/Rookie Orientation - $5 admission; 12 and under free
Public Gates Open
"Flapjacks at the Track" free breakfast, F1 Garages No. 31, 32
Champions Autograph Session, Pagoda Plaza
Rookie Orientation Program
A.J. Foyt and Family Q&A, Coca-Cola Stage
A.J. Foyt and Family Autograph Session, Pagoda Plaza

What is this? Looks like "Opening Day" to me. The problem is most fans don't know about or care about engine contracts or any other back room thing that may be keeping cars off the track. That's the problem. TG thinks the average fan will put up with this crap. He should have figured it out by now. I don't think he ever will.

9 a.m.-6 p.m.
9-11 a.m
10:30-11:30 a.m.
Noon-5 p.m.
1-1:30 p.m.
1:45-2:45 p.m.

Alexamateo
8th May 2007, 16:24
I think $5 is a bargain to be at the speedway and be able to see sights like this. Wish I was there.

Alexamateo
8th May 2007, 16:29
$5 seems like a bargain to me. Cars on track and all of Foyt's winners taking ceremonial laps. I wish I was there.

NCSRFSH
9th May 2007, 12:22
I would have loved to hear those great race cars on the track.
Do you notice what is lacking in the photo?

Alexamateo
9th May 2007, 16:11
I am sure you'll say people in the grandstands, but look at the schedule you posted, all activities are in the infield. Planned activities are actually rather new. Heck, opening day in the past was often mid-week (starting May 1) and for what?, a chance to see Dick Simon try to be first on track (Wow :rolleyes: ) Read some of the old daily trackside reports at Indy500.com. Most of the time, opening day would come and half the teams and all of the top teams wouldn't even be there yet.