PDA

View Full Version : general wrc rally questions

Duvel
25th October 2017, 19:33
Hello, i know most of you know about everything there is to know about how a wrc event works.
Still, some here dont know all things (like me). So mayby some of the questions can be answerd here.

First, how many recce's do the crews do, see the stages only once, or twice?
And what i also always wonder about when i am at the stage's, at what time does the first car start after the zero car has left the starting line?

Mirek
25th October 2017, 19:57

Twice in WRC and ERC, usually three times in national events but it depends on local rules.

And what i also always wonder about when i am at the stage's, at what time does the first car start after the zero car has left the starting line?

That depends on the stage length. It can be five minutes in case of a short stage or it can be way more if the stage has 50 km. The first competitor shall never ever catch the zero car (even though it happens from time to time) but the gap shall not be bigger than necessary because the more time pass the higher probability that something isn't alright anymore (people walking in stage etc.).

GravelBen
25th October 2017, 21:17

Twice in WRC and ERC, usually three times in national events but it depends on local rules.

Do European national events have 3 pass recce? I never knew that, its just 1 pass in NZ.

SubaruNorway
25th October 2017, 21:28
Do European national events have 3 pass recce? I never knew that, its just 1 pass in NZ.

Never heard of 3 either and lots of smaller events in Sweden don't have recce at all and they don't publish the route until the same morning. All events have 2 pass in Norway.

Mirek
25th October 2017, 21:32
I can't speak for all Europe but very often they have three (here in CZ we used to have two passes till our ASN stopped following FIA rules two years a go and since that time we have three).

Maybe other members can say how it is in their national events. It interests me as well especially when I see that You have only one pass in New Zealand.

GravelBen
25th October 2017, 22:34
...lots of smaller events in Sweden don't have recce at all...

Local club rallies in NZ are often blind rallies with no recce or pace notes, just a route book with cautions on particular hazards or intersections. But all the NZRC events use notes and 1 pass recce.

Mirek
25th October 2017, 22:36
I guess that there are no asphalt rallies without recce anywhere in the world. It would be crazy dangerous IMO.

Jewy46
26th October 2017, 00:17
3 passes allowed here in Ireland. I actually find 3 too many most of the time, dont bother with a third pass

Munkvy
26th October 2017, 01:28
Local club rallies in NZ are often blind rallies with no recce or pace notes, just a route book with cautions on particular hazards or intersections. But all the NZRC events use notes and 1 pass recce.
Except for Whangarei, which as an FIA (APRC) event is a 2 pass recce for all competitors.

I guess that there are no asphalt rallies without recce anywhere in the world. It would be crazy dangerous IMO.

We have a tarmac rally series called Targa which is blind, no organiser notes, no map reading/GPS or recce. It's normally more of an endurance event though (one of the events is normally a 4-5 day rally), with a speed limit of 200km/hr. So quite unusual compared to most other rallies.

denkimi
26th October 2017, 06:05
In belgium the general rule is 2 passes on the national level, and 3 on lower levels.

Although a lot of organisers don't bother to check it, so its whatever you like then.
Often you don't have enough time to recce the stages more than 2 or 3 times.

Zeakiwi
26th October 2017, 08:43
For NZ note rallies - Neil Allport prepares stage notes that can be purchased well before the one pass recce - for competitors who do have time/ funds to attend the one pass recce or less experienced competitors doing the one pass recce who don't write their own notes.
The less experienced competitors can then adjust the notes on their one pass recce and crews will have a dash cam etc video camera recording during the one pass recce so there can be an additional check of the notes/ video back in the accommodation room etc before the event starts.
https://www.allports.nz/category/313-notes

Jemba note system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jemba_Inertia_Notes_System

electroliquid
26th October 2017, 09:01
Lithuania 2 times recce, Latvia also. There was, I think some years ago, in Latvia that drivers under 18 years has 3 passes recce, while others only 2.

Duvel
26th October 2017, 11:40
Ok, so recce difers from country to country. But in wrc event its 2 recce passes a stage, thanks.

Regarding zero car, lets say it is not a standard procedure.

Anyone know if the wrc ones a helicopter whicj goes to evry round?

dupanton
26th October 2017, 12:23
Belgium 2 passes for most of the rallies. Regional rally vary from 2 or 3 to unlimited (only restricted in time) number of passes.
In France it's 3 times in national asphalt rallies, but only once on Gravel.