PDA

View Full Version : WTCC - Zandvoort

SEATFreak
7th May 2007, 13:43
Their was another big touring car meeting on Sunday - The second round of the WTCC at Zandvoort.

And what a difference the new aerodynamic package on the Chevy's made! The top story being Alain Menu and Nicola Larini bagging first and second in Race 1 with Luca Rangoni in 3rd.The best factory BMW in Race 1 was Augusto's 5th. One place behind SEAT's Tiago Monteiro. Priaulx was 5th with Muller, Porteiro and Zanardi in 10th, 11th and 12th.

In race 2 Gabriele Tarquini got SEAT's first win. Coming in ahead of Farfus who beat Jorg Muller. Fourth and Fifth was Larini and Priaulx.

The results mean, unless I have not taken other points into consideration, Farfus is 1st in the table with 28pts, Jorg Muller is second with 22pts and tied in third with 21pts is Priaulx and Tarquini.

Les
7th May 2007, 16:25
excellent for Chevy and long may they win races. Bummer about Huffy's steering breaking though

Ed
7th May 2007, 17:01
o dear n what about Thompson! i think he's guna have the season from hell this year, the alfa cant keep up with the rest of the cars especially on the twisty stuff

parabolic
7th May 2007, 17:33
Perhaps they need to talk to A Tech - they seem to be getting to grips with the 156!

Ed
7th May 2007, 21:07
I wouldnt say that!!! A Tech run the cars on different tyres and plus N Technology built the cars and have run them since 2003, so im guessing they are doing all they can to drag more performance out of the car

tyreman2
7th May 2007, 21:48
Perhaps they need to talk to A Tech - they seem to be getting to grips with the 156!
Yeah and perhaps they could get Marsh as a driver coach :confused:

BDunnell
7th May 2007, 22:17
Let's face it, the 156 seems past it now.

Hayden Fan
7th May 2007, 23:40
I haven't seen Zanardi race since that day in 2001, so does he still have that speed that won him 15 CART races and 2 championships?

SEATFreak
8th May 2007, 08:57
Getting back on topic (the form of Thommo)....yet one gets the feeling that though they are the only works team yet to score points, Thommo does seem to be running the stronger. His results, except for the one in race 2 at Zandvoort, thus far have all been better than Oliver's.

Though looking at the times on first glance by someone like me who has little or no idea of the gap between each time, the time difference between Thommo and Oliver doesn't look much. Thommo coming in with a time of 25:24.644 and Oliver coming in with a time 25:26.357.

But I think it also worth giving a mention to other drivers and not just Thommo. A word of congratulations to Roberto Colgiago who achieved a 6th and 7th. Five points now. For Valencia, Oschersleben and Brands Hatch I hope Masimiliano Padala proves an able teammate in the Toledo Cupra. :up:

CarlMetro
8th May 2007, 09:24
I only caught the back end of race one but what the hell was Priaulx on in the second? I don't think I've ever seen him drive so bad, especially from pole :s

ATF
8th May 2007, 14:20
Didn't watch any of the races - thought they were really boring and processional last time out, although they may have been better?

I'm not sure why Thommo wants to stay in WTCC so badly, unless he sees a better future with Alfa? He could be fighting for another BTCC title rather than running around in the middle of the WTCC pack.

SEATFreak
8th May 2007, 15:04
I'm not sure why Thommo wants to stay in WTCC so badly, unless he sees a better future with Alfa? He could be fighting for another BTCC title rather than running around in the middle of the WTCC pack.

Nothing in any of the articles on touringcartimes.com about him and N.Technology is out of the norm.

On 11 Jan in the article announcing is arrival he said:

I've always worked well with N.Technology and the Alfa Romeo is a beautiful car. Last year the team was extremely competitive, finishing third in the Drivers' Championship with Farfus Jr. From my knowledge of N.Technology, I know they won't be satisfied with anything less than title glory; they've never quit a championship without winning at least once. That is definitely the right attitude and I'm looking forward to delivering the goods.

And in an article on 2 April he said of their chances of winning:

I'm not yet comfortable in the Alfa but I'm getting there. It will take time. I really think that as the weight penalties come into play we can win some races later in the season.
I want to be involved with the team for the long haul, not just for this season. I think they have the potential to get back to winning titles. There wouldn't be any point to me racing if I didn't think I could take the team forward. They need drivers that will put the hard graft in, and I believe I am the driver to do that

All of which in my opinion flatter Alfa.