PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP China

Corny
4th May 2007, 10:41
I saw the second free practice this morning, and it seems that Casey has got the right package again, he made some good runs..
Valentino's runs weren't impressive, so far I think he has to be happy with a podium
Dani's runs were good, like Casey's.. A lot mid 2:01's, so I think it'll be a battle between Casey and Dani..

Let it be a good GP!

fatman
4th May 2007, 12:43
I think it could be a battle between Casey and Loris for first and a battle between Hoppers and Dani for 3rd, with John having the advantage under breaking. The Ducs are blisteringly fast at a full 13 kms faster than everyone else.

Ranger
4th May 2007, 12:57
I saw the second free practice this morning, and it seems that Casey has got the right package again, he made some good runs..
Valentino's runs weren't impressive, so far I think he has to be happy with a podium
Dani's runs were good, like Casey's.. A lot mid 2:01's, so I think it'll be a battle between Casey and Dani..

Let it be a good GP!

Considering the Free-to-air broadcast of the race is delayed until after Big Brother up late (at 12:30 at night... 9 hours after the race), I hope so too!

I reckon one of the Yamaha's or Pedrosa will take pole thanks to the pretty good front qualifying tyre from Michelin - otherwise it'll be a Ducati-fest with Elias probably up there too.

Too bad I didn't put my pickems in! :mad:

1. Stoner
2. Pedrosa
3. Elias
(Rossi, Hopkins, Capirossi not too far behind, hopefully)
Pole: Pedrosa (barring blocking)

tha_jackal
4th May 2007, 14:10
Hopkins has to be pick of the bunch so far methinks.. Fourth last year when the suzook was less than average, I think he'll be the one to beat, him/stoner and mini P.. Should be another really close race! Something like .2 seperating the top 8 in FP2! :eek:

MotoGP
1. Hopkins
2. Stoner
3. Pedrosa
Pole> Pedrosa

1. Simon (why not)
2. Bautista
3. Dovi
Pole>Jorge

1. Pasini (if his bike makes it)
2. Talma
3. Smith (cmon bradley!)
Pole> Corsi (pumped up after last weeks win, will crash in race)

ChrisS
4th May 2007, 15:00
so did the riders lap consistently in the low 2,01s or did they use qualy tyres right at the end?

tha_jackal
4th May 2007, 15:03
so did the riders lap consistently in the low 2,01s or did they use qualy tyres right at the end?

Thatll be the race pace i assume... Could even go lower... Although, rain forecast for tommoro..

Corny
4th May 2007, 15:41

I think no qualy, but it had to be soft tyres for some riders. Hopkins, Hayden and Melandri for example weren't fast during the session, but only came in the last 5 minutes or so..
Casey was impressive, he did some 10 laps or so in 2:01 half

ChrisS
4th May 2007, 23:23
Although, rain forecast for tommoro..

Shame OJ is out, he would have been interesting to watch in the wet, he almost won the race last time

tha_jackal
5th May 2007, 04:25
I think no qualy, but it had to be soft tyres for some riders. Hopkins, Hayden and Melandri for example weren't fast during the session, but only came in the last 5 minutes or so..
Casey was impressive, he did some 10 laps or so in 2:01 half

Hopkins is quoted as sayin 'i used one set of tyres for the entire session and set my fastest lap on the second last one' :eek: doubt he was using soft tyres is they lasted all of FP2..

Ranger
5th May 2007, 08:07
I'm not sure if rain affected qualifying as I didn't see it. But Rossi is 8 tenths up from 2nd place Hopkins at the end of it!

However unless it is raining on race day I don't think Rossi will take the win... I predicted that Michelin will be good in qualifying and the two Yamaha's on the front row would indicate that.

I'd expect Stoner to jump out of the second row tomorrow with Hopkins being a contender for the race win - which will be nice. :) I'm looking forward to it.

5th May 2007, 08:28
So, the Dr is on pole and has smashed the circuit record. Going to be interesting. And.... i get to watch the races live tomorrow at a reasonable time for a change. 4.00pm start. Yep we are just four hours ahead of Shanghai, :up:

jim mcglinchey
5th May 2007, 08:44
[quote="Malllen"]I'm not sure if rain affected qualifying as I didn't see it. But Rossi is 8 tenths up from 2nd place Hopkins at the end of it!

QP was in dry conditions which makes Vales 8/10ths advantage more surprising. Edwards is there too yet he always fades. Id love to know what qualifying trickery Yam have.

Hotbikerchic33
5th May 2007, 08:49

Let it be a good GP!

How can Valentino not be impressive?? :confused:
The man is on Pole Position tomorrow and he was pretty fast today!!

and i dont think the Race will be between Casey and Dani it will be between Valentino and Casey and may the best man win!!!! ;) :D

Hotbikerchic33
5th May 2007, 08:52
and for any chinese reading this forum!!

可能的話 Casey 將為明天贏得被遇到,種族將肯定在 Casey 和 Valentino 之間的手指!!

NinjaMaster
5th May 2007, 08:57
How can Valentino not be impressive?? :confused:
The man is on Pole Position tomorrow and he was pretty fast today!!

and i dont think the Race will be between Casey and Dani it will be between Valentino and Casey and may the best man win!!!! ;) :D
His post was made before final qualifying, hence his runs up til that point hadn't been too impressive. Don't mistake his pole lap (as incredible as it is) as anything more than a blistering lap on Michelins superior qualifying tires. His race pace hasn't been nearly as fast (though it is Vale) and Stoner is still my favourite to win. Hopper and Pedrosa will be there too.

Hotbikerchic33
5th May 2007, 11:02
Yeah i want Casey to win but but other half wants vale to win one of us is going to be unhappy tomorrow!!! :D ;) :)

Corny
5th May 2007, 11:15
I want a race like Assen 06.. With such a race, I don't care who's the winner :D

jens
5th May 2007, 14:08
At the moment I've no Eurosport, so I'm going to miss another race...

The Phantom
6th May 2007, 01:06
I come here first for my racing news, can I respectfully ask that if someone posts final qualifying results in a dedicated race topic, that they actually copy/paste the results in? Rossi is not the only guy in this race...

Elias and Capirossi have a lot of work to do, and Vermuelen really really needs to learn how to qualify - you'd think he'd have half an idea by now.

My predictions:

1. Stoner
2. Hopkins
3. Pedrosa

Final qualifying results:

Rossi 1m58.42
Hopkins 1m59.31
Edwards 1m59.40
Stoner 1m59.51
Pedrosa 1m59.60
Melandri 1m59.86
De Puniet 1m59.98
Barros 2m00.05
Hayden 2m00.08
Nakano 2m00.15
Hofmann 2m00.17
Elias 2m00.20
Checa 2m00.31
Capirossi 2m00.36
Vermeulen 2m00.68
Roberts 2m00.76
Guintoli 2m01.15
Tamada 2m01.17

ChrisS
6th May 2007, 01:57
Capirossi and Vermeulen crashed and did put a final qualifying time in,

with the rate Rossi is going at qualifying they may as well give him the 2nd BMW now

tha_jackal
6th May 2007, 02:24
Vermeulen was on a lap that theoretically could have placed him in second on the grid... Until he came together with Loris, who seemed to just stop midcorner and then close down on Chris.. Hard to tell who was at fault but a shame for both of them..

jim mcglinchey
6th May 2007, 09:51
....post race now: yeah, Loris and Chris both did great races from bad starts but Loris just pipped Chris, Id really love Chris to have grabbed that next spot from Loris since it was the Italians fault that they were both so far down the grid.It was great to see Casey hold it together ( unlike Gibbers ) under Vales pressure.

Im sure it came as a great relief to many to see Tony Elias out on the first lap.Har, har.

Delighted for Hopper. I though he looked the smoothest of the three front runners and he decided to take it home in third rather than try heroics. He was markedly better than Dani and Marco on this occasion too. No Hondas on the podium again!

tha_jackal
6th May 2007, 10:10
Yer great ride by Vermy, he just needs one race where he qualifies on the front two rows! Congrats to Casey and Hopper, great rides and Rossi rode fantastically well to hang in with Stoner as long as he did.. Elias sure to come under some scrutiny again.. Barros appeared to be a big loser in the race aswell, lapping as fast as Stoner at times.. Bring on Le Mans and some more Aussie national anthem playing! :p Dont wanna talk about the 250's .. all ill say is screw u Jules Cluzel :mad:

Corny
6th May 2007, 10:12
Race was OK. Too bad Valentino made that mistake, but OK he would've never made it anyway.
Stoner 3 wins out 4, who could have thought that? If you said that 2 months ago they'd laugh at you.
I expected more from Honda, they're struggling with the 800 it seems.

I look forward to go to Europe again, I expect Michelin to come on top there

Hotbikerchic33
6th May 2007, 11:18
很好的種族很愉快讓澳洲人可以遵守的希望它都向上變幹! :D :p :)

jens
6th May 2007, 13:11
I believe that Stoner has already exceeded all expectations this season so far. Winning percentage is 75 at the moment - amazing. Rossi has found a true rival. :)

Btw, what exactly happened to Elias?

About Hayden - how much more time does he need to heal from his shoulder injury to start competing for top spots?

The Phantom
6th May 2007, 14:32
I look forward to go to Europe again, I expect Michelin to come on top there

Probably not. The new tyre rules (choose all your race and qualifying tyres on the Thursday) are favouring Bridgestone, for historical reasons. Previously, if a tyre (or a few tyres) didn't work, Michelin would truck in a bunch of different ones overnight and the team/s would go through them to find a tyre that the rider was happy on. Bridgestone, based in Japan, never had that luxury, so the Bridgestone teams worked with what they had.

Now, the Michelin teams are in the same boat as the Bridgestone teams, and they are struggling. Bridgestone is perhaps more adept at guessing what will work, because that's how they've always done it.

Btw, what exactly happened to Elias?

Elias happened to Elias! He barrelled into Turn 1 way too fast, and hit Hayden - who thankfully stayed upright, but was forced onto the grass. Barros got caught up in it too, but only Elias retired.

About Hayden - how much more time does he need to heal from his shoulder injury to start competing for top spots?

Elias notwithstanding, qualifying in the back half of the top ten is no way to defend your title. But I think the bike is most of the story there. If the bike was good it would be Stoner/Pedrosa/Rossi at the front, with Hayden an occasional threat.

Hopkins rode a fantastic race, congratulations due for his first podium in 82 starts! First of many, I'm sure.

And Rossi... well, you can never discount the Doctor, huh? I thought his tyre trouble in Istanbul would be a recurring issue, but I forgot that JB is on the case.

tha_jackal
7th May 2007, 01:36
My race reports for the 125s and 250s were published on the mcnews.com.au website, check under the 'news' section and let me know what you guys think :) Im on my way to becoming a GP journo :p i wish, but anyway, its a good start.. Some constructive criticism would be appreciated..

Here Tis! (http://www.mcnews.com.au)

The Phantom
7th May 2007, 03:31
Great stuff Jackal. I missed the 125 race, your report gives a good account.

Constructive criticism as requested - you write of qualifying outcomes and grid positions in present/future tense, then the race itself in past tense.

"The grid lined up on a sunny yet cloudy and more importantly windy Shanghai day (which would take its toll on the light 125 machines) the threat of rain had been thrown around all week." - all over the shop, although your meaning is quite clear. See if you can simplify it a little.

You did a great job of bumping up the excitement as the laps counted down, just like happens when one watches a race.

Keep it up! Your style fits well with the usual mcnews.com.au pattern.

I loved Hopper's comment after Rossi took pole - "That other tyre company sure has got its qualifying tyre sorted at the moment!".

tha_jackal
7th May 2007, 04:56
Great stuff Jackal. I missed the 125 race, your report gives a good account.

Constructive criticism as requested - you write of qualifying outcomes and grid positions in present/future tense, then the race itself in past tense.

You did a great job of bumping up the excitement as the laps counted down, just like happens when one watches a race.

Keep it up! Your style fits well with the usual mcnews.com.au pattern.

Yer i wrote the intro and qp stuff the day before, then the race report while watching the race, live, so thats probably why i mixed the tense up just that little bit.. I did notice it, just didnt have time to edit it as I wanted to get it posted ASAP (gotta make a good impression) :) Anyway, cheers for the feedback, much obliged.. Im glad u liked the way i tried to build it up as more riders joined the group ..

Peace.

ChrisS
7th May 2007, 17:25
The 125 and 250cc races were good but the MotoGP race was nothing special, congrats to Hopper for the podium

The motogp race also showed the problem motogp is having with the number of riders, one rider DNS and 3 crashed and automatically all the rest got points, unlike other championships where to get the final point you have to beat 10-20 other riders

jim mcglinchey
7th May 2007, 20:16
With Dook now having won 5 out of the last 7 MotoGP races, I wonder if Vale regrets not having signed to the Italian team?!

ChrisS
8th May 2007, 02:34
With Dook now having won 5 out of the last 7 MotoGP races, I wonder if Vale regrets not having signed to the Italian team?!

Yamaha is a great bike, in fact it could be the best overall bike in GP right now, its just down on power from the Ducati. in the next few races I think it will show its true potential

leopard
8th May 2007, 05:26
Yamaha is a great bike, in fact it could be the best overall bike in GP right now, its just down on power from the Ducati. in the next few races I think it will show its true potential
I think people will memorize Ducati as the most powerful bike, but the best package bike in GP currently is still Yamaha and Rossi.

Corny
8th May 2007, 06:18
but the best package bike in GP currently is still Yamaha and Rossi.

Probably not, because they aren't leading the championship now :D

leopard
8th May 2007, 06:26
Probably not, because they aren't leading the championship now :D
You are probably true :D