PDA

View Full Version : Comments about Red Bull Racing

jens
3rd May 2007, 16:54
Interesting that no-one is discussing about them. They were pretty quick at Bahrain, but some questionmarks remain. There was only one-week-long pause between Sepang and Sakhir races and there wasn't any testing between those races. So the question is: was Sakhir track just suitable to RB, which enabled them to be in points competition or have they really improved? They seem to have been getting better since their car launch (as someone at Red Bull said: "In early February we lost 1,5 secons to Williams, now we are at the same level"), but how much will that progress continue and will they be able to start rising in the WCC? One interesting fact: if we include Red Bull's predecessor Jaguar, then they have finished in 7th position in the WCC for five seasons (!!) in a row. Will this trend continue this season?

Red Bull has also tested new front wing during the last days at Barcelona:
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/73155.jpg

Your comments?

luvracin
3rd May 2007, 17:43
I have nothing to say about them because they have me completely underwhelmed.

andreag
3rd May 2007, 18:02
Coulthard has just beated the circuit record in Barcelona. Of course it was on a single lap, low fuel, qualy-simulation, but it's a big step forward for the team (his mate was also quick last Monday).

I think they're closing the gap, settled in 4th position after McLaren, Ferrari and BMW.

icsunonove
3rd May 2007, 18:09
Well, they have Adrian Newey doing what he does best, a competitive engine, two very capable drivers and plenty of money, so you have to figure that this is probably their best chance to make a breakthrough. I notice that DC finished top of the test times at Barcelona today, it's probably not _that_ significant but they do seem to be making progress.

Fingers crossed.

jens
3rd May 2007, 18:18
Btw, Coulthard also clocked fastest time in mid-February at Barcelona, so it's a bit early to say that this testing time is a true indicator of their form.

And about being 4th. First they should try to score some points and try to pass Williams, before challenging for 4th in the WCC. :)

Sleeper
3rd May 2007, 19:38
Mark Webber has made it through to the top 10 in qualy every time this year, so far, so it shows that the cars are fast over a single lap.I think in Bahrain we saw them beginning to get a hold on the car and get that one lap pace throug to the race. What they really need to concentrate on is cutting out all these small problems, Webber as had the fuel flap jam open and obscure the air flow to the rear wing in two of the three races so far, and reliability needs to be much better as well.

On pace alone, though, they do seem to be the 4th fastest out there.

Dazz9908
3rd May 2007, 23:59
Mark Webber has made it through to the top 10 in qualy every time this year, so far, so it shows that the cars are fast over a single lap.I think in Bahrain we saw them beginning to get a hold on the car and get that one lap pace throug to the race. What they really need to concentrate on is cutting out all these small problems, Webber as had the fuel flap jam open and obscure the air flow to the rear wing in two of the three races so far, and reliability needs to be much better as well.

On pace alone, though, they do seem to be the 4th fastest out there.
:up: spot on!

Valve Bounce
4th May 2007, 03:24
I think this team has two capable drivers, good at R&D and capable of podiums if the car is reasonably fast. 4th place in the championship is not impossible - e have to see how this team races in Europe.

jens
4th May 2007, 14:23
Yeah, fourth position in the WCC is not impossible for Red Bull (visibly more possible than, for example, for Honda), but I suppose that at the moment in current situation the main contenders for fourth are continually Renault and Toyota, who have consistently scored points and also have reliable cars.

Sleeper
4th May 2007, 20:02
I think RBR have a lot of their systems being upgraded for the next race, some of the current ones I have heard being described as "agricultural", so it should be worth seeing if this sorts out those niggeling problems.

andreag
5th May 2007, 10:24
Btw, Coulthard also clocked fastest time in mid-February at Barcelona, so it's a bit early to say that this testing time is a true indicator of their form.
Maybe, but if we look at their best times in mid February and now, we can see they've improve .789 s. per lap.

Only 5 teams had better times now than then:

Toro Rosso: 3.525 s. better.
Super Aguri: 2.111 s. better.
Reb Bull: .789 s. better.
McLaren: .634 s. better.
Spyker: .314 s. better.
Toyota: .244 s. better.

Toro Rosso and Super Aguri cases are different, as their cars then wasn't the ones they were using since Australia, but the other 4 teams have shown a better pace.

Probably Williams could have achieved it too, but after the crash they couldn't try.

And about the rest, Raikkönen closed the gap with Massa in Ferrari, as Kubica did with Heidfeld in BMW, and Fisichella with Kovalainen in Renault. Honda was over a second slower than in February.

RJL25
6th May 2007, 00:46
it was more then just a new front wing they where testing at barcelona, they tested an entirely new aero package including significant changes to the sidepods. The results of back to back testing between the old and new aero package are "very encouraging" according to a RBR crew member who was quoted in an aussie mag.

They have also been working flat knackers on updating alot of the cars electrical systems, which have been the route cause of all the reliability related issues they have had so far this year

im expecting them to continue to improve for the rest of the season, they have actually made more progress then anyone since the start of the season! Its just that the car was very slow at the start!! I think they will be challenging BMW for the "third best team" tag by the midway point of the season, and may even win that battle by the end of the season.

I expect a good race for webber and coulthard at monaco, both of those guys seem to be incredibly quick at monaco no matter what kind of car they are driving! Mark even made that horrible blue and white thing he was driving last year seem like a bit of a quick car at monaco! untill the inevitable happened ofcourse...

Big Ben
7th May 2007, 17:29
It's a shame Newey left Mclaren for RBR... I don't like this team at all. I don't care much for all that show they organize at every event... they don't mean much in F1 and I believe they re not there to stay

Some kind of F1's Chelski.... I don't want to say how much I dislike that team too...

raphael123
8th May 2007, 12:37
I think Roman Abromovich isn't planning on going anywhere, just like Red Bull.

I think we could find out how good Newey is. Is he potentially the only one man, who any team can employ, who can all but guarantee you success?

That's worth more than any team principal, or any driver, or anyone else if he manages to win Red Bull Racing races!

jens
11th May 2007, 21:46
Such news:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19149.html