PDA

View Full Version : MV Agusta and Fogarty join forces

ChrisS
2nd May 2007, 01:18
The Italian manufacturer is set to enter the championship in the 2008 season with Fogarty’s British-based team as their factory-supported outfit.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10756

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/SophieJB/foggy_01a.jpg

The Phantom
2nd May 2007, 02:01
OK, so who will ride it? Here's my guesses:

- Sebastian Charpentier (Pitt to retain his WSS seat, and there's no point moving Seb to SBK while Ten Kate has such a dominant rider/bike combo there)

- Colin Edwards, who will be pretty over MotoGP by the end of 2007 (and Yamaha likewise will be ready to put someone faster on the second M1 in preparation for losing Rossi at the end of 2008)

- Loris Capirossi, to be dumped by Ducati at the end of 2007 for failing to finish the championship in the top 3, and will be looking for revenge - MV will be happy to have an Italian rider

- Josh Brookes, who will fulfil his promise and give MV its first world title in 32 years.

One of the above is possibly a red herring.

: )

NinjaMaster
2nd May 2007, 09:35

- Sebastian Charpentier (Pitt to retain his WSS seat, and there's no point moving Seb to SBK while Ten Kate has such a dominant rider/bike combo there)

- Colin Edwards, who will be pretty over MotoGP by the end of 2007 (and Yamaha likewise will be ready to put someone faster on the second M1 in preparation for losing Rossi at the end of 2008)

- Loris Capirossi, to be dumped by Ducati at the end of 2007 for failing to finish the championship in the top 3, and will be looking for revenge - MV will be happy to have an Italian rider

- Josh Brookes, who will fulfil his promise and give MV its first world title in 32 years.

Seb is another Muggeridge in my opinion. Great on a 600 but can't cut it at the top level in Superbike. He would be a chance at Ten Kate though, moving up with Sofuoglu as JT goes to MotoGP.

Edwards will remain with Yamaha as he is the only teammate Rossi will allow and Yamaha don't have enough foresight to see beyond the Rossi years (or they would have signed up Stoner when they had the chance).

The Capirex thought is kinda nice except I don't want to see WSB become a retirement home for ex-MotoGP men.

I don't want Brookes to race for MV because I want him at Kawasaki! :)

Luca Scassa who rides for MV in the states is probably a good chance.

I would imagine that MV would be keen to land a biggish name, maybe Andrew Pitt could be a chance or Neil Hodgson. Perhaps Lanzi could be their young rider?

ChrisS
2nd May 2007, 15:27
Carl Fogarty will ride the one bike himself and Giacomo Agostini will ride the other bike :p

I'm a bit surprised MV Agusta announced their plans so early on, they were saying they were going to wait and see how the AMA and CIV teams did before considering World superbike

As for Foggy, I hope they just hired him for a front man and will have other people to actually run the team and develop the bike

T-D
2nd May 2007, 15:30
who would want to ride for foggy? you know the team is going to be poorly run. you know he's going to run off his mouth about how great he is compared to you. only a desparate fool would sibmit to such punishment.

ChrisS
2nd May 2007, 16:03

Charpentier has been racing supersport for 10 years now, if he wanted to move to sbk he should have done it in 2006 after winning the wss title.

Edwards is most likely on his way out from Yamaha. the Yamaha boss admitted having talks with Lorenzo though I don't see how Rossi and Lorenzo could share a garage. IMHO Rossi-Lorenzo incompatibility could save Edwards, Edwards stays as Rossi's team mate, Yamaha puts Lorenzo to Tech3 for a season and gives Tech3 some proper satellite team support. if he returns to SBK I hope its with a top team, Edwards vs Bayliss once again would be awesome

Capirossi, if he wants to keep racing, I'm sure he will be able to find a ride in MotoGP, because of his size I see him a bit incompatible with superbike machines

whats this promise of Brookes winning the title for MV?

Tesco
2nd May 2007, 17:23
Possibly Hodgson? He did patch things up with Foggarty and was due to ride this year, providing the team had the machinery. I know Hodgson is now the test rider for Ducati, but only by default. The other guy will recover from his broken hip soon. I do go with the Edwards possibility though. The USA is a huge market place for any manufacturer.

The Phantom
3rd May 2007, 03:31
Edwards vs Bayliss once again would be awesome

Sure would. In the meantime, here's something to enjoy (Monza 2002):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK_ndSAZz0s

That comment about Brookes was the red herring I referred to (in fact the whole thing was written tongue in cheek, but you never know).

maxu05
3rd May 2007, 09:37
I would love to see this team do well, as it is an old name in bike racing. I would hate to see it stuffed up by big mouth Fogerty. I would love to see it being a proper run 2 bike team, with an old hand (Bayliss,Haga etc) and a young gun to balance things up. I hope MV really get serious, and not produce some half assed effort and fall out after a season or 2.

ArmchairBikeFan
3rd May 2007, 13:21
I'm sure they've announced it very early so they can try to rustle up some sponsorship and hopefully get the bike on track for a bit of development.
I'm glad Foggy is going to be back because he's absolutely hilarious. It's good to have somebody shooting his mouth off all the time. Hopefully he can have a few ridiculous feuds with people too.
I reckon Hodgson is a possible for the MV Superbike. He'll be looking for a proven quick machine though, so I'm sure riding a brand new bike would be plan B for him.
I think Edwards is well enough established in MotoGP to stay there, especially after decent performances lately. If he got the boot from Yamaha he'd probably show up at d'Antin or Kwaka.

Mach24
1st June 2007, 06:23
Steve Martin currently without a ride at 38 years of age.
Foggy MV in the development phase.
Match made in heaven!

Marto does all the mule work for a season or two by which time the young gun in the team starts winning.