PDA

View Full Version : How old is '01'?

Hazell B
1st May 2007, 20:28
Does anyone know when the 1 and 2 were added to UK area phone codes?

We've just been looking at a trailer that looks brand new, but the Ifor Williams (the maker) name plate on it has a phone number without the 1 after it's starting 0. I'm trying to get the price down by saying it's 18 or whatever years old and could do with knowing when the numbers changed :p :

Thanks!

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 20:30
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_telephone_numbering_plan

Of course, I can't vouch for its accuracy, but anyway, it does tell you that the answer is 1995.

Hazell B
1st May 2007, 20:54
Only 12 years? I was crossing my fingers for far longer, and a lower price :s

Thanks.

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 22:05
I should add that I actually found that Wikipedia page really rather interesting!

oily oaf
2nd May 2007, 07:36
I should add that I actually found that Wikipedia page really rather interesting!

NEXT WEEK:

BDunnell recites The Chinese Phone Book before an enraptured audience of 3 at The Guildhall.
Kindly insert joke about "Dont wing the wong number" here.............

Back on topic. I do beg your pardon Hazell but when I read the thread title I assumed you were making inquiries as to the origin of "Oi" music, the 1980s thrash metal, skinhead race hate ditties made popular by bands such as "Send 'Em 'Ome" and "They Take Our Jobs" famously fronted by rabid Klansman Beans Beans White Beans with backing vocals from Eki and BDunnell.

Ah halcyon, swivel-eyed days indeed. :)

(dips cat in barrel of whitewash and caresses oil painting of Jim Davidson)

Dave B
2nd May 2007, 14:44
What a balls-up that re-numbering was, especially for London:

01 -> 071/081 -> 0171/0181 -> 020 7xxx xxxx/8xxx xxxx all within the space of a few years.

The only ones to benefit were signwriters and office supplies printers :rolleyes:

BDunnell
2nd May 2007, 14:51

01 -> 071/081 -> 0171/0181 -> 020 7xxx xxxx/8xxx xxxx all within the space of a few years.

The only ones to benefit were signwriters and office supplies printers :rolleyes:

I enjoyed Jeremy Hardy's comment about it, when he wondered why the numbers have to keep changing: 'If you need a new number, you should wait for somebody to die.'

BDunnell
2nd May 2007, 14:52
NEXT WEEK:

BDunnell recites The Chinese Phone Book before an enraptured audience of 3 at The Guildhall.
Kindly insert joke about "Dont wing the wong number" here.............

Back on topic. I do beg your pardon Hazell but when I read the thread title I assumed you were making inquiries as to the origin of "Oi" music, the 1980s thrash metal, skinhead race hate ditties made popular by bands such as "Send 'Em 'Ome" and "They Take Our Jobs" famously fronted by rabid Klansman Beans Beans White Beans with backing vocals from Eki and BDunnell.

Ah halcyon, swivel-eyed days indeed. :)

(dips cat in barrel of whitewash and caresses oil painting of Jim Davidson)

:laugh:

Love it!

inimitablestoo
2nd May 2007, 19:44
It must be around 1994/5, I can remember a great local radio show I used to contribute to where they all used to "sing" the phone number out on air. The first week the new numbers came in, half of them sang it with 021, the other half 0121, and they had to have another go (or two) due to collapsing into a fit of giggles...

Hazell B
3rd May 2007, 08:33

And everyone else in the UK was reminded of that with the non-stop adverts telling us about poor old London being faced with 01 and 02 while we just had to worry about one number. Maureen Lipman made a fortune for those ads :mark: