PDA

View Full Version : Drivers you think should have WON the title

Ed
1st May 2007, 17:26
- One of the obvious choices has to be Ried. In 1998 he drove brillaintly but as he said the damage was done at the start of the season when he didnt bag as many points as he should have done. In 2000 the drop point score system really hurt he as did the nugde by rademacker at the last race

Ried alkways drove which passion and always got the fans standing on thier feet, the only consaltion was that he won the BTCC master

- Watts, always drove the doors of whatever he drove literally. Lived it when his teamates with Harvey, it was always a detruction derby!

- Radisch- drove so well in 94 but alfas to quick in 95. it was a shame as his season got worse as the years went on, was never really his fault was normally the car

any other drivers??

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 18:42
There's no doubt in my mind that Reid should have won a title, but as you say, certain circumstances got in the way. You could add 2004 to his list of near-misses, too (though it wasn't as close as the other two). Radisich is another driver who springs to mind.

However, Steve Soper is without doubt the best touring car driver never to have won the BTCC. Of course, he did win it in 1983, but then had the title taken away from him.

reidy_fan
1st May 2007, 20:28
agree totally Anthony should have won the title but that is life

KILOHMUNNS
1st May 2007, 21:09
Agree with Paul Radisich in 94, it was ashame that the car wasn't ready sooner as I think he would have won it otherwise.

mattie007
1st May 2007, 22:13
Reid was unlucky in 2004, but at least he got the Indy championship in the ZS.
If Turkington had of had a bit more luck last year, he could of been very close to the title.

tisme
1st May 2007, 22:30
Anthony Reid... What is the fascination with Anthony Reid???

Sorry, but he comes a long way done my list of drivers..

All the drivers that should have won the BTCC, have!

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 22:54
Anthony Reid... What is the fascination with Anthony Reid???

Sorry, but he comes a long way done my list of drivers..

All the drivers that should have won the BTCC, have!

He was probably the fastest driver in 1998, but wasn't quite as consistent as Rydell and had some bad luck. Reid was certainly one of the best BTCC drivers of recent times, and I'm sure he'd still be winning races if he was competing in it today.

By the way, I still think that the best example of a 'championship that got away' was what would have been Will Hoy's second successive title in 1992. Everyone remembers Cleland and Soper clashing in that amazing final race at Silverstone, but Hoy had the title in the bag until Tim Harvey pushed him off at Copse. Still, at least he has a championship to his name.

nik
1st May 2007, 23:22
Sorry, but I class Reid as a champion. He scored more points than Menu in 2000, so I call that a champion. I refuse to take into account dropped scores, as they're stupid and un-nessesary.
The whole point is to score as many points as possible, so why take them away.

So my vote goes to Paul Radisich. Loyalty to Ford screwed him.

racer69
2nd May 2007, 02:53
Steve Soper
Gerry Marshall

BeansBeansBeans
2nd May 2007, 08:48
Sorry, but I class Reid as a champion. He scored more points than Menu in 2000, so I call that a champion. I refuse to take into account dropped scores, as they're stupid and un-nessesary. The whole point is to score as many points as possible, so why take them away.

I'm not a fan of dropped scores either, but you have to accept that it was the system used in 2000. You can't move the goalposts after the event in an attempt to re-write histroy. Alain Menu was Champion in 2000. Simple as that.

Ed
2nd May 2007, 10:30
dropped point system was stupid. thats why alot of people see the BTCC as to artifical

Alfa Fan
2nd May 2007, 12:24
Steve Soper is the obvious answer. Should have been champion in 83 but for a technicality.

Alfa Fan
2nd May 2007, 12:24
dropped point system was stupid. thats why alot of people see the BTCC as to artifical

Apart from the fact that BTCC doesn't use dropped points anymore, and hasn't since 2000

Ed
2nd May 2007, 18:01
yea I know that, but still alot poeple see the series as artifical though. Ballast which I think is a good idea springs to mind. And also the saftey car period at Rockingham is a good example. Even harvey made a joke saying alan slowed the race down so plato copuldnt get away. I now he said there was debirs on the track and that had to be moved, but there were also numerous cars that were on the run off areas that hadnt been moved either