PDA

View Full Version : Gilles Villeneuve Museum activities

jarrambide
30th April 2007, 22:55
I received this today, thought about sharing it with the forum.

Press Release
For publication

On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of Gilles Villeneuve’s tragic death, the Gilles-Villeneuve museum is preparing several activities in Berthierville and in Montreal

These commemorative activities will start on Sunday May 6th in Berthierville, city where Gilles grew-up and will end with the Canadian Grand-Prix in Old-Montreal.

At the museum

In Berthierville, racing fans of all ages will be able to visit the museum free of charge on Sunday May 6th. In the afernoon, a special ceremony will be held outdoors were a distinctive signature “Salut Gilles” will be painted on the street in front of the museum. This signature is a reminder of the inscription at the start/finish line of the Gra Canadian grand prix since 1982.

Let’s also noted that all visitors on the 6th, 7th and 8th of May will receive FREE a superb souvenir’s magazine of 52 pages about Gilles. And a new exposition inside the museum “Fans Corner” will present privately own pieces of history about our champion.

In Montreal

Gilles Villeneuve has marked Berthierville but he, of course, left it also in Montreal and across the Province. That’s why the museum has prepared a major exhibition that will give the chance to remember to those who knew him and to discover Gilles’s legacy to those who don’t.

This exhibition will retain all racing fans attention from June 6th to the 9th and will be held in one of the most frequented area in Montreal, Le Marché Bonsecours in Old-Montreal. Visitors will walk around this souvenir circuit and live again Gilles Villeneuve’s career.

Among the collection pieces presented, we will show severals racing cars of the pilot, and on top of this ; lots of pictures, documents, newspaper headlines videos and more…

Visitors will also have the opportunity to purchase souvenirs, T-Shirts, caps, Post Cards, DVDs, Photos, and much more at the boutique.

Finally, to those who would like to help the museum will be able to do so by becoming a member a then receive their own copy of a very special DVD. Images of Gilles’s career on a song by Jean-Pierre Ferland in the background. Something to revive lots of emotions !

“Salut Gilles … already 25 years !” Major activities organized by the Gilles-Villeneuve Museum in Berthierville … for Gilles.

For more informations:

Alain Bellehumeur
General Manager
Gilles-Villeneuve Museum
[email:2dennmf6]museegillesvilleneuve@bellnet.ca[/email:2dennmf6]
http://www.gilles.villeneuve.com

ArrowsFA1
1st May 2007, 08:15
Thanks Jose :up: It's hard to believe it was 25 years ago. Time goes by so quickly, and yet the memories of Gilles don't fade. How I wish he was around today, probably still racing something somewhere, and giving us his refreshing and honest thoughts on racing.

ArrowsFA1
3rd May 2007, 14:08
Autosport (http://www.autosport.com) has a special journal issue this week reflecting on Gilles Villeneuve and his career. It includes articles by Nigel Roebuck, Peter Windsor and Mark Hughes, contemporary race reports, and a picture gallery, as well as audio clips of an interview given to NR back in 1978.

Much of what I remember about Gilles comes from these articles, because they were appearing at a time when F1 was only just being televised regularly in the UK. Roebuck is sometimes criticised for repeating his pieces about Gilles, but they are worth re-reading, particularly now. Re-reading NR's obituary 25yrs on makes you realise who and what we lost all those years ago.

jarrambide
3rd May 2007, 18:17
I will have to read them all.

ArrowsFA1
3rd May 2007, 19:23
Make sure you listen to Roebuck's interview with Gilles.

Bolton Midnight
4th May 2007, 14:41
Motorsport News are carrying special articles on Gilles, the current edition and for the rest of May (weekly)

Ideal for those who are too young to know what all the fuss is about.

AAReagles
11th May 2007, 18:57
Images of Gilles’s career on a song by Jean-Pierre Ferland in the background. Something to revive lots of emotions !

http://www.gilles.villeneuve.com

As with other members here who have been fortunate enough to watch this fellow race, whether live, or as in my case on the tele, I found it rather impossible to forget about Gilles whenever the subject of motoring racing surfaces into conversation. Hence the fact that when this approaches annuallly, it always reminds me of this true racer.

I'm sorry to paraphrase from an old Automobile Year (1975?) that was placed under a caption of Peterson getting sideways in an aging Lotus 72', but it seems to fit my memory of Gilles, as it refered to Peterson then;

"Whether it's regarded as skill or luck, his driving is (was) extraordinary"

As far as a musical reflection of Villeneuve's career, I prefer an ambience style performed as a Michael Woods mix called "Peace" by Saints & Sinners on the Chilled Out Euphoria series.

Thanks for remembering him.

... then again, how could one forget ?