PDA

View Full Version : Dublin port tunnel opens 20th December

Mark
12th December 2006, 09:28
Anyone who's been to the centre of Dublin will know the amount of HGV's that go through the middle of the city to get to/from the port. With the opening of the tunnel the centre of Dublin should be transformed as lorries can get straight from the M50 motorway, all the way into the port.

jim mcglinchey
12th December 2006, 14:51
I havent been in Dublin for a few years because its dear as buggery but I ll have to get down at Chrimbles for dinner in my favourite restaurant in the land.. Yamamori.s Used to be a nightmare journey but now theres dual carriageway or motorway nearly all the way from Belfast to Dublin.

Mark
13th December 2006, 07:59
Used to be a nightmare journey but now theres dual carriageway or motorway nearly all the way from Belfast to Dublin.

Yup, they were constructing the D2 from Belfast to just outside Newry when I was there, unfortunately the Newry bypass is still S2.

In the republic the M1 motorway extends up to a few miles before the border, after that it's still the same S2 it always was.

In the next couple of years the link road across the border should be complete so we should have a competely dualled (if not grade seperated) road between the two capitals.

CarlMetro
13th December 2006, 16:17
Didn't I read somewhere that the bore height of the tunnel is actually too small to fit the vast majority of trucks inside it?

Mark
18th December 2006, 08:21
Yes, for reasons of economy it wasn't built high enough for the highest trucks, but apparently it's something like 5% of them that won't fit.

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2006, 18:22
Leave it to the Irish to build a tunnel that isnt' big enough for all the trucks!!!

You have to believe someone screwed up. You dig a tunnel, to add 2 feet of height is more money but not drastically more compared to the total cost.

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2006, 18:24
To those Irish out there, don't take my criticism personally, you have a wonderful nation and my ancestors are Irish, but I chuckled when I read about this tunnel.

bowler
22nd December 2006, 23:24
sure they'll fit if they drive fast enough.

jim mcglinchey
23rd December 2006, 14:39
....or if you deflate all the tyres first....

Mark in Oshawa
29th December 2006, 15:15
Of course, low bridges and tunnels are no problem if you just realize that every trucking company needs a sardine can roof on a few trailers!!!!