PDA

View Full Version : Peter Kox

Ed
30th April 2007, 13:16
what does everyone else think of Peter Kox? he did have sum gd quali momments in 98 but always seemed to find trouble in the races just like he did in 99 although he did grab that very lucky win.

But if you compare his 98 + 99 performances in the Honda to his appearnces with BMW at the end of 1996 he seems a different driver and was match if not at time faster then RR and Winklehok. I was jusdt wondering considering his CV maybe his poor shows in 98 + 99 were down to driving front wheel driver

what does everyone else think?

MBailey06
30th April 2007, 15:59
Do you think he would be good in the BTCC today?

BTCC2
30th April 2007, 16:39
Peter Kox was undoubtably a great driver. In todays BTCC he would be a championship contender given the right car. I feel that in 1998, 1999 and the 2 races he did for Honda in 2000 he was overshadowed by James Thompson and for 4 races that they were teammates Gabriele Tarquini. Tarquini and Thompson always squeezed a lot out of a car which I never really felt was that good. Consodering all the money Honda put in to there 6 years in the BTCC (95-00) they didn't get very far. David Leslie, Gabriele Tarquini and James Thompson made the car look better than it was, but the likes of Peter Kox, James Kaye and Tom Kristensen who were not as good touring car drivers showed the real pace of the car.

Ed
30th April 2007, 17:42
I think Kristensen got quite alot of the honda as the season progressed but Honda always seemed to miss there opportunity.

I would love tee see Kox in a WTCC spec bemmer now

BDunnell
30th April 2007, 17:51
Kristensen was probably one of the best touring car drivers in the world at the time, not just one of the best drivers to be in touring cars.

As for Kox, he was mediocre in 1998 except for his performances at Knockhill. 1999 was a fairer measure, and he deserved to get that first BTCC win. He is undoubtedly a very good driver, but it was easy to see why he wasn't at the top of most works team shopping lists for 2000. At that time, he was being touted as one of the drivers for Arena's planned Honda entry in 2000, alongside Will Hoy.

VkmSpouge
30th April 2007, 17:55
I think Peter Kox is very good, he does a good job in sportscars.

Brown, Jon Brow
30th April 2007, 19:58
s, but the likes of Peter Kox, James Kaye and Tom Kristensen who were not as good touring car drivers showed the real pace of the car.

Thats the same Tom Kristensen that got the last ever BTCC Super Touring win and finished on equal points with Tarquini that year?

Peter Kox was a good driver but wasn't aggressive enough and had a fare share of bad luck. I remember Charlie Cox calling him the BTCC punchbag. :laugh:

BTCC2
30th April 2007, 22:12
OK, I apologise I thought he was a little behind Tarquini in 2000.

And yes thinking back he did have a fantastic last meeting at Silverstone. Does anybody remember his first win at Oulton Park when his car was leaking oil for the last 5 laps? That was a dramatic end to the race.