PDA

View Full Version : Racing Today

LessThanSte
29th April 2007, 18:47
I have to say that, as far as im concerned, that was by far the best SCSA/Pickup day of the last 2 or 3 years. Every race was a cracker.

SCSA Race 1

Think there was a bit of sandbagging going on at the start, with times in the 40's, and dropped into the 41's as Pete started to catch the lead group again. But then the pace started to pick up again towards the end, Brereton looked quick but sadly that wasnt to be. Pace went sky high towards the end, lot of 37's i think before Colin got away at the end to win.

Pickup's Race 1

Typical Pickup race really. Didnt look like Seager could do much about the incident, according to his radio Dobbs turned down on Gavin. Some spotters i heard said they wondered if Steve's spotter even called it?

End looked a bit controversial though. Looked from our vantage point that Poulter lifted on the run to turn 4. He certainly slowed anyway. Next thing we knew Steve Dance was around, looked for the world like he ran into the back of Poulter who he had a big run on when he lifted and Gav ran into the back of Steve, turning him around. Did well to keep it off the wall though!

SCSA Race 2

More of the same at the start i think, as the pace was quite slow. Not sure whether that was just warming the tires up, but looked impressive. Dont think ive seen NASCAR races that tight for so long on a 'normal' track.

Great finish though. Looked a little engineered, i think Colin had it more comfortable than that but still, Abbott was fast but still, a great battle to the finish.

Pickups Race 2

Another great race once again, really tense finish. Big wreck for Willis, car was mashed apparently. Still, not been that tense at the end of a race, wondering what was going to happen, for a long time. Bit like a Daytona or Talladega race or something. Finish was a little anticlimactic, and im not a paul poulter fan but great drive at the end to pass Steve, who incidently said on entry to turn 4 coming to the white flag 'i dont like where i am' or words to that effect. Was never going to pass Poulter though on the last lap in turn 4.

Again, great days racing. VSR's were alright, the lead Alfa sounded nice andi didnt see the Fiat's. Watching those MR2's as quite impressive though, nice to see a world record made. Was waiting to see a fender-bender and there were a few close calls, including one guy who had to stand on the brakes at the start finish line.

Shame that Miguel and the others couldnt race. Had a chat to him though and he looks all set for the next meeting. ANnoying really when he'd come all that way especially for it. But if the racing is like today all season like, its going to be epic!

Al_Green
29th April 2007, 19:29
Here, here to all that,

I think the stock car boys did the right thing, give it a few laps to get everyone up to speed and the car in good health, then get on with the racin'. And two close finishes, but like CW said, the wing tips make his car that bit wider.

Shame to have so many pick up wrecks, but with the close racing from the off there, it wasn't surprising (and that's why we love 'em).

Roll on Croft 19/20 May, and the 23/24 June for the return to the Rock.

Al.

darknessrock
29th April 2007, 19:44
I agree with all the above, although I did start to wonder if race 1 was going to be a display parade, until they picked up the pace, but I do understand and think the drivers were right to get settled for the first few laps.
Nice to see the V8s out in the (almost) open, instead of shut in the garages at lunchtime, and all the drivers, (PUT & SCSA), as talkative as ever!
After all the talk about the weather, it was good to have it dry all day, but wasn't it bloomin cold this morning!!

GeeBee2
29th April 2007, 20:16
From my favourite spot by the fence at turn 1 it definately seemed like the first 10 laps of the first SCSA race were a demo run. I didn't get the usual blast of air. From then on, especially after the caution they were right back on it! The engine notes give it away, if you can hear the cars roar through turn 3 from turn 1 they are on it!

Great racing from everyone this weekend, well organised meeting too.

Well done Colin!

Reynard
29th April 2007, 23:28
Well, it all looked great from wherever I was standing - inside, outside, T1, T4... Best meeting racing-wise in quite some time, especially with the SCSA cars. It was great to see the guys have both the discipline and the trust to run so close together for so long, regardless of lap times.

The Brereton incident - I don't think Shane and Hunter touched, but they were running side by side. I think it was the old "take my air" thing and round Shane went. he caught the spin brilliantly, then kloinked the wall where I was shooting while giving it the boot to get going again. Doh!

Not quite sure what happened between Gav and Dobbsy - from my pics, Gav has definitely nerfed the back of the #73 truck, but as it was T4 entry, it is a bit difficult to tell who was at fault. Either way, it triggered the traditional concertina effect of going off in sympathy...

Gav was involved in a bit of an incident in race 2 on the pit straight where he, Dobbs and Pistol Pete were running three wide with Pete the meat in the sandwich. Steve and Gav gave Pete the squeeze and the #9 got spat out backwards. :eek:

But super well done to Colin - I didn't have my banner this time round, but seems the lucky socks worked! If memory serves, he's the first SCSA driver to do the double three times. And weren't those doughnuts brilliant! :cheese:

Now all that's left for me to do is sort through my photos! ;-)

JDPower
30th April 2007, 03:19
Now all that's left for me to do is sort through my photos! ;-)
I've just done that and mine are all messed up for the second day on the trot. Dunno whats going on with my camera but I'm pretty peed off (about 220 out of 240 unusable :( )

JDPower
30th April 2007, 03:48
Only negatives today: Shelton road entrance being locked when I turned up, no sign of where the season pass holder car park was (and marshalls just waving me past when pointing to the parking pass). And being very cold and there being NO HOT CHOCOLATE ON ANY STALLS :(

Attendance wasn't great (especially with the forecast weather) but IMO that was to be expected with the new non-descript event name (BRSCC Racing at the Rock) that probably means absolutely nothing to your average Joe public, most of whom may not even notice this is the 'Thunder Sunday' event.

Was a little suspicious of how close the SCSA cars were running at first but was good to see them running so close, and safe, for whatever reason and bodes well for some good racing for the rest of the season.

Good start to the season though and there were no real negatives related to the on track action so well done to all involved with SCSA and PuT :up:

And what about that fantastic huge sticker rub in the pickup race :cheese:

Tiesse
30th April 2007, 07:15
Only negatives today: Shelton road entrance being locked when I turned up, no sign of where the season pass holder car park was (and marshalls just waving me past when pointing to the parking pass).

Attendance wasn't great (especially with the forecast weather) but IMO that was to be expected with the new non-descript event name (BRSCC Racing at the Rock) that probably means absolutely nothing to your average Joe public, most of whom may not even notice this is the 'Thunder Sunday' event.

Firstly, it was a little confusing as to the location of the pass holder's car park, but all you had to do was wind down your window & ask (as I did). I was pleased with the car park's location, definately makes things a little easier.

Secondly, you are right with the non descript name comment. I go on Canon's motorsport photography forum & had posted some of my pics from last weekend's BTCC (there in itself is an acronym that most people into motorsport have heard of as it hasn't changed over the years!). One of the replies was from a guy who is involved with the Ford RS Owners club. He commented that they are due to come to Rockingham later this year at a BRSCC meeting. As somebody who comes to every meeting, even I had to double check that this was an SCSA meeting (I have just got used to calling it SCSA rather than Ascar!).

One small thing that I noticed was that all 3 podium places had a trophy! Also, congrats to Duncan Grey for what I believe was his first podium!

racing59
30th April 2007, 07:57
Driver's view here.

At the start of both races, I was advised to take it easy, being a rookie greener than grass, so I took my time and ran with the pace. I'd not done any amount of side-by-side running ever, so I gave it a go. There seemed to be a lot of crud on the track which made it like driving on ice through 2 & 4, which accounts for a fair bit of the slower running. My car was very tight through 4, and 2 wasn't great, which means that you can't get on it through 3 quite fully "on it"

In race 1, I saw Pete pick up his pace, and thought "if he can do it, so can I", and I made a pass on Keith and set off after Pete. I tried a different, probably "too" early line into 2, but it worked, and I was able to get going.
Turn 4 for me was slippery about mid way through, so not sure if any of the road course racers were dumping anything as they came out.

After the caution, I tried to keep with Lee, but didn't have the pace due to the "push" in the car. For those of you who were looking, I had one "Here comes the walllllllllll" moment with something like three or four to go, which is what let Keith close up, and then get me into four the next lap. The #59 Team Air Ambulance car just didn't want to go through 4, it was pretty good through 1 - still pushing, but I could cope with that, and nice through 2 & 3.
I was more than happy with 8th in my first ever V8 Trophy race, and I'd like to thank my crew, most of whom, I only met for the first time on Saturday!! And most of all, the crowd for being there - especially all of those who supported the Air Ambulance Charities buying our promotional tickets.

I'm looking forward to June, where hopefully, we'll be able to pick up the pace a little more, and there will be some more cars on the grid.

No, there was no script. We were told to keep them out of the wall, and be careful of the dirty green track. I think common sense played a big part here.

I look forward to seeing you all in June.

Rob.

bravheart
30th April 2007, 13:18
One small thing that I noticed was that all 3 podium places had a trophy! Also, congrats to Duncan Grey for what I believe was his first podium![/QUOTE]

Thanks, yes your right! its was my 1st podium, and to think i took the postion on the very Last Lap! and at Turn 1!!!! which many of you may recall
I HIT Very Hard in June 2005.

You could say "That ghost has now been laid to rest" at last!!!

deadsquirrel
30th April 2007, 13:30
Thanks, yes your right! its was my 1st podium, and to think i took the postion on the very Last Lap! and at Turn 1!!!! which many of you may recall
I HIT Very Hard in June 2005.

You could say "That ghost has now been laid to rest" at last!!!

I remember that hit very well - glad to see it hasn't had a lasting effect!

bravheart
30th April 2007, 13:52
I remember that hit very well - glad to see it hasn't had a lasting effect!

Thanks!

I have to say, its taken a little longer than i would have liked to gain my confidence totally through Turn 1 again, But with a little help from my team Mate Mr Lee O'Keefe! That 1 was for YOU!

shuz7
30th April 2007, 14:54
I would just like to say that I have been to a few races in my time and I really enjoyed Sunday's race. Well done Rookie Rob, a great job.

Congratulations to Shane for getting his car back out on the track and to Colin for first place..

FBanfi
1st May 2007, 13:22
What to say... I absolutely loved it (except the cold in the morning!). Another trip from Switzerland that was absolutely worth it!

I think that the "non-aggression pact" for the first 15 laps of the V8 races is a brilliant idea. New drivers get to practice racing side by side, passing on the inside and outside, and that cannot be bad, given the little amount of practice the drivers get.

The cars look closer than last year. I think I heard Colin White say that they all have the same shocks, which certainly helps. Another good decision.

Pickups were mental as usual (how many donuts did Gavin get? he almost deserves to be called "Homer" for that :) ...)

AND... The V8Thunder stickers on the 59 car were the icing on the cake! Thanks for that!!! :D

Roll on June... :D

inamo
1st May 2007, 14:57
There was an opportunity to have extra practice on Friday, but none of the teams took part.......

EarWig
1st May 2007, 16:52
There was an opportunity to have extra practice on Friday, but none of the teams took part.......

inamo

Perhaps you would like to pick up the bill for all the teams for the next practice!!

earnhardt8
1st May 2007, 17:20
Where exactly was the pass holders car park please?

Pepsi-Cola-Kid
1st May 2007, 17:25
Firstly, it was a little confusing as to the location of the pass holder's car park, but all you had to do was wind down your window & ask (as I did). I was pleased with the car park's location, definately makes things a little easier.

Where exactly did you find the season pass holders car park?
We were directed to the normal car park where we asked the car park attendant and he simply said something like 'in with everyone else!' We then asked another car park attendant (the one at the top of the main entrance road in) and he said go through the main gate and in there. So we went to the person on the gate and he said he hadn't got a clue, but the sticker was on the board on the gate and so he let us through.

We rode down the back of the main grandstand, hadn't got a clue where to park, so we went back out again!

It would've been nice if someone knew where it actually was. I know we can't have been the only ones confused, as the stewards didn't even seem to know where exactly it was!

Ok rant over! So if someone knows where it is could you inform us all please? If not I hope they know where they are sending us at the next meeting!

Dave17
1st May 2007, 19:55
These attendants really don't know there elbow from another part of there anatomy! A BRSCC official who required a lift into the inner paddock asked one of the chosen where the marshals minibus left from only to be told "dunno, but a minibus has just left with some workmen wearing orange overalls in it"

darknessrock
1st May 2007, 20:35
I pointed to the sticker, and got waved down towards the gates. Had no idea where to go from there, so I stuck it in "VIP" parking, as I saw a few other cars in there with passes, (although a lot of them were orange, not blue! :) ). Would be good to have a sign though.

darknessrock
1st May 2007, 20:38
So we went to the person on the gate and he said he hadn't got a clue, but the sticker was on the board on the gate and so he let us through.

We rode down the back of the main grandstand, hadn't got a clue where to park, so we went back out again!

Nice,,, So you can fill your car up with non-pass holders, drive them through the gate using your carpark pass, and you all get in for free!!??? Think I'll take a few more people in June if that's the case! :) :) :)

Pepsi-Cola-Kid
1st May 2007, 20:49
Nice,,, So you can fill your car up with non-pass holders, drive them through the gate using your carpark pass, and you all get in for free!!??? Think I'll take a few more people in June if that's the case! :) :) :)

Yes we thought the exact same thing!

They never even asked to see any passes, although we did have the sticker in the window but it was the other side to where the steward was.

car20
1st May 2007, 22:18
i parked right behind main stand next to stairwell 3, no one asked for season pass and nobody new where to go so just kept going, thought about going into pits but thought that might be pushing it !!!!

earnhardt8
1st May 2007, 22:40

Funnily enough we said the same when he asked if he could see the kids tickets (which are free) but didnt ask if we both had season passes.

We asked the man on the gate where to park and his words were " i have no idea they just told me to let people through the gate, so go where you like"

JovialJooles
1st May 2007, 22:57
These attendants really don't know there elbow from another part of there anatomy! A BRSCC official who required a lift into the inner paddock asked one of the chosen where the marshals minibus left from only to be told "dunno, but a minibus has just left with some workmen wearing orange overalls in it"

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

LessThanSte
1st May 2007, 23:10
I wasnt sure how far towards the stand we could get but figured that we'd have to head through the gate. Asked the guy and he waved us through, Neil, ho was driving and didnt have a ticket asked about buying one yet the guy said 'yeh just go through there'. Ended up parked on the other side of the fence with Neil getting in free.

Suspect if someone from rockingham sees the forum though that wont happen next time!

Oh btw, nearly forgot. Nice to see the lovely Amy back in the paddock :)

Tiesse
2nd May 2007, 06:48

We asked where the car park was, was directed to it & the guy on the gate checked the car park pass, my season pass & the two kids tickets for my son & nephew.

Abo
2nd May 2007, 10:35
Earnhardt8:

Can you change your ****ing signature??? I haven't watched the Talladega race; I might as well not bother now.

Thanks a lot

JovialJooles
2nd May 2007, 15:10
Earnhardt8:

Can you change your ****ing signature??? I haven't watched the Talladega race; I might as well not bother now.

Thanks a lot

Come on Abo; I think that's uncalled for...

Given this is a motor racing forum and people who like SCSA also like NASCAR; I think you're being completely unrealistic to expect no mention of Sunday's race by Wednesday.

If you don't want to know the result, lock yourself away until you get time to watch the recording.

Abo
2nd May 2007, 15:35
Given this is a motor racing forum and people who like SCSA also like NASCAR; I think you're being completely unrealistic to expect no mention of Sunday's race by Wednesday.

Nope, I've deliberately avoided the NASCAR forum, NASCAR websites, and any threads on any forum which look like they'll reveal the result, in order not to find out what happened until I get to watch the race (tonight).

I thought a thread about the Sunday SCSA race would be safe, until the result popped up in Earnhardt8's signature...

SteveA
2nd May 2007, 15:55
There's an option in your settings to not show people's sigs (too late now, but useful for later!)

earnhardt8
2nd May 2007, 17:14
Earnhardt8:

Thanks a lot

No i wont , had you asked nicely i might have done,

I didnt change it until last night , how was i supposed to know you didnt know the result!!!!!!!!!

Reynard
2nd May 2007, 17:35
Excuse me folks, but can you kindly keep this thread on topic please?

Abo
2nd May 2007, 17:47
No i wont , had you asked nicely i might have done,

Not bothered now, the damage is done.

I didnt change it until last night , how was i supposed to know you didnt know the result!!!!!!!!!

You weren't and that's the point. It's good netiquette to make it clear when you're about to post a spoiler e.g. with the word 'SPOILER' in the heading. You can't do this in a signature so it's bad form to put a spoiler there

earnhardt8
2nd May 2007, 17:57
Not bothered now, the damage is done.

You weren't and that's the point. It's good netiquette to make it clear when you're about to post a spoiler e.g. with the word 'SPOILER' in the heading. You can't do this in a signature so it's bad form to put a spoiler there

Had i changed it Sunday night i could understand your arguement, but seeing as it wasnt changed until late Tuesday night i would have thought everyone who wanted to know the result who have done so, next time i'll get my crystal ball out!

Chigley
2nd May 2007, 18:22
Tetch, tetch boys, duelling went out years ago. Remember it was only a race and no one has died ... yet! :)

deadsquirrel
2nd May 2007, 18:58
Tetch, tetch boys, duelling went out years ago. Remember it was only a race and no one has died ... yet! :)

I'm sure Earnardt8 will love YOUR comment too! (not) ;)

earnhardt8
2nd May 2007, 19:22

Actually i'm female!! (better half is really Earnhardt8 i just use his login to post)

Jackie x

darknessrock
2nd May 2007, 19:48
next time i'll get my crystal ball out!

While it's out, can you let me know if the 3M performance 400 at MIS will be a good race, as I just got my tickets booked!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

SteveA
2nd May 2007, 19:54
While it's out, can you let me know if the 3M performance 400 at MIS will be a good race, as I just got my tickets booked!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Just keep quiet about the result!

earnhardt8
2nd May 2007, 20:08

Now if i was that good i'd be better at picking the lottery numbers!!

Lucky you going to the race, i'm not jealous (much!)

We've got the condo booked for next yr's Daytona 500 ,just need to get the race tickets sorted.

Reynard
2nd May 2007, 21:38
Ecxuse me - can you PLEASE keep this on topic? Toby is getting rather irate about this thread's meanderings.

Chigley
2nd May 2007, 23:10
can you PLEASE keep this on topic?

Oh, I thought we could gentle meander like a stream across the meadow of life.

Ducks, puts on crash hat and hides. :p :

LessThanSte
4th May 2007, 16:09
Im all for getting it back on topic!

Photos of Amy, please ;) :P

Abo
4th May 2007, 22:09
Oh, I thought we could gentle meander like a stream across the meadow of life.

Or crash through it, like BRiSCA's finest! ;)

Tiesse
5th May 2007, 23:23
Where exactly did you find the season pass holders car park?
We were directed to the normal car park where we asked the car park attendant and he simply said something like 'in with everyone else!' We then asked another car park attendant (the one at the top of the main entrance road in) and he said go through the main gate and in there. So we went to the person on the gate and he said he hadn't got a clue, but the sticker was on the board on the gate and so he let us through.

It would've been nice if someone knew where it actually was. I know we can't have been the only ones confused, as the stewards didn't even seem to know where exactly it was!

Ok rant over! So if someone knows where it is could you inform us all please? If not I hope they know where they are sending us at the next meeting!

The car park where the bouncy castle was.