PDA

View Full Version : TOYOTA GAZOO Racing WRT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sulland
31st July 2017, 12:46
Since the planning is over and the team is doing well, they deserve a new team thread.

Personally I must say that the team and car is a very positive surprize in the 2017 seaon so far.
Very few thought that they would be able to produce a competitive car year 1.
Latvala's testing just before homologation gave them a lot of useful input that probably gave them a better starting point.

But few had thought thay would take a second place im MC, and a win in Sweden.

In Finland the car looked like the easiest to drive, and was very stable over the jumps, and had very good traction.
When a driver with little WRCar experience like Lappi, can win with it, they must have done much right in the Mäkinen barn :-)

steve.mandzij
31st July 2017, 12:52
It proved many people wrong, including me and N.O.T

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AnttiL
31st July 2017, 12:53
Mäkinen said in interviews during Rally Finland that the car is still not completely ready and at the start of the season it was so unfinished they didn't want to put Lappi too early in it.

mknight
31st July 2017, 13:02
Well they did a good job so far yes, I also didn't expect them to be this good.

However I do not think they have overall the best car atm (Tommi claimed that after finish in Finland).

Yes they had the best car in Finland, with unlimited testing right in front of their door. Sweden is very much the same case with very similar roads and conditions.

On other rallies they were at best similar to Ford/Hyundai, sometimes worse. Let's see what the coming rallies will show.

Andre Oliveira
31st July 2017, 13:14
Ok, the work was good but... the 2 wins were in specific rallies. I want see more.

AMSS
31st July 2017, 13:17

However I do not think they have overall the best car atm (Tommi claimed that after finish in Finland).

Yes they had the best car in Finland, with unlimited testing right in front of their door. Sweden is very much the same case with very similar roads and conditions.

On other rallies they were at best similar to Ford/Hyundai, sometimes worse. Let's see what the coming rallies will show.

I also agree, in Finland we never really got to see Fords real performance due to both Tänaks and Ogiers mistakes early (except Tänaks PS time) I think it would have been a big fight between them to the end otherwise.
Regardless the Toyotas were clearly really good in this rally

electroliquid
31st July 2017, 13:50
Ok, the work was good but... the 2 wins were in specific rallies. I want see more.

Sorry for OT, but which rally isn't specific in WRC or ERC? I always thought that Rally Finland is classic rally - exactly as rally should be.

dimviii
31st July 2017, 13:52
Sorry for OT, but which rally isn't specific in WRC or ERC? I always thought that Rally Finland is classic rally - exactly as rally should be.

you will understand at next rally why Finland is specific.

Kaps
31st July 2017, 14:43
What does GAZOO stand for?

AnttiL
31st July 2017, 14:50
I also agree, in Finland we never really got to see Fords real performance due to both Tänaks and Ogiers mistakes early (except Tänaks PS time) I think it would have been a big fight between them to the end otherwise.
Well, Evans finished second and Suninen made some fastest stage times, and those were the guys who didn't even get to test properly.

Revman
31st July 2017, 14:57

Picture....I believe. As in the picture of how racing should be in the minds of the company.

J_n_z
31st July 2017, 15:18

This claim shows that Makinen know how to lead and motivate the team... They also have little data about other rallyes compare to Hyundai and specially Msport, so their speed can be compromised by less detailed set up at beginning of every rally.

Sulland
31st July 2017, 16:58
One meaning of Gazoo:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/motorsport/toyota-gazoo-racing-what-heck-gazoo-anyway

Rally Power
31st July 2017, 18:17

The Yaris seems to be at the Fiesta or i20 level on the gravel (Latvala was also fighting for the win in Poland and did some fast times in Italy, just like Lappi). Probably, it’s still a bit behind on tarmac. Anyway, huge congrats to Makinen and his team for what they’ve achieved so far!

Gazoo it’s a Toyota e-commerce company that also functions as a social platform for their customers, providing a wide range of products and services. I believe there’s nothing like it in Europe. Btw, Gazoo was developed by Mr. Toyoda before becoming TMC president and its involvement in motorsport only started a few years later.
site: gazoo.com
bloomberg info: https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2000-04-30/toyota-unbound-intl-edition

mufcAleksi
1st August 2017, 13:34
Got a nice little souvenir from Rally Finland. One has the autographs of Hänninen and Lappi, the other one has Mäkinen and Lindström :D 1372

swanny
1st August 2017, 13:38

My take on what he said (I listened to it a couple of times when I heard it) was that is was their fastest car this year. That is, it's been getting faster.

I hoped they'd be competitive but I think what they have done so far is pretty impressive. Finland may be specific but you can't win if the car isn't fast.

Congratulations to EL, commiserations to JML, he appeared comfortable AND was showing some real speed until his ECU crapped out.

Kaps
1st August 2017, 18:09
Thanks Revman, Sulland and Rally Power for your answers!

Now I (kind of) get the picture!

dimviii
4th August 2017, 10:42
Toyota Motorsport‏*@tmgofficial
Toyota Motorsport Retweeted TOYOTA WEC Team
Welcome to Hisatake Murata and our sincere best wishes for the future to Toshio Sato.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGXv0l_WAAAaBBn.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGXv3EHXsAArGq_.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGXvxaOXoAAr6aa.jpg

GigiGalliNo1
4th August 2017, 16:18
Japanese man with facial hair?! Since when...

wrc2017
4th August 2017, 16:25
Japanese man with facial hair?! Since when...
1984.. Karate Kid.. Mr Miyagi.

Mariusz
4th August 2017, 19:25
1984.. Karate Kid.. Mr Miyagi.

So every 30 years.

Rally Power
5th August 2017, 14:01
Toyota Motorsport‏*@tmgofficial
Toyota Motorsport Retweeted TOYOTA WEC Team
Welcome to Hisatake Murata and our sincere best wishes for the future to Toshio Sato.

Apart the Yaris engine, this has little to do with WRC. Murata was LM/WEC engine chief and has now become TMG president, replacing Sato that will return to Japan. Anyway, after Porsche pull out it’ll be interesting to see what TMG will do next: stay in LM/WEC as sole manu or move into other racing series?

electroliquid
7th August 2017, 15:06
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/august-2017/lehtinen-leaves/page/4763--12-12-.html

Jarmo Lehtinen leaves Toyota

KKS
7th August 2017, 15:12
Sad news, Jarmo and Toyota have a good relationship. Why so fast leave in middle of season?

rallyfiend
7th August 2017, 15:16
Seems like it's not such a happy camp there in Finland, despite the success.

They've had a heap of staff leave in recent months. Including most top people.

AMSS
7th August 2017, 15:28
Sad news, Jarmo and Toyota have a good relationship. Why so fast leave in middle of season?

They can officially say what they want but everything isn`t all smiles at Toyota (why else leave suddenly mid season..?), also Simon Carrier who was in charge of designing the car has left according to what I heard...

nafpaktos
7th August 2017, 23:53
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/august-2017/lehtinen-leaves/page/4763--12-12-.html

Jarmo Lehtinen leaves Toyota

Timo Kankkunen
Any relation to Juha?son?

Essaj
8th August 2017, 00:23
Timo Kankkunen
Any relation to Juha?son?

im pretty sure he is Juha's brother but dont quote me on that

steve.mandzij
8th August 2017, 00:25
on that

AnttiL
16th August 2017, 08:03
http://www.is.fi/ralli/art-2000005327675.html

This Finnish article says that TGR is setting up a remote base in Estonia for faster logistics to central Europe and cheaper costs, but their main base will remain near Jyväskylä.

Rally Power
16th August 2017, 11:41
Keep an eye out for a documentary called "TEAM" which follows Toyota's return to WRC. It is 1 hour long and looks at how relationship between Tommi & Toyota was formed then how the team gradually grew over 2015 & 2016. Finishes up just after Monte Carlo 2017 event. It is a must watch if you get the chance to see it.
The TGR documentary is on motorsport tv now. It’s still amazing to see how bold Mr. Toyoda was, trusting Makinen to carry on the project in a remote Finn village, and how focused and competent the new team staff was, managing to build a winning car on such a short time. The doc also shows Lehtinen major role in the team building process; he’ll for sure be missed, if his departure really happens.

dimviii
16th August 2017, 11:43
Just before Finland, design chief Tom Fowler was out. Only to be in again the next day. And now sporting director Jarmo Mahonen is waving farewell. The grapevine’s had this former co-driver in and out on more than on occasion in the last 12 months, but his exit looks certain post-Deutschland.

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/columns/whats-wrong-with-some-wrc-rumours/

rallyfiend
16th August 2017, 12:01
Just before Finland, design chief Tom Fowler was out. Only to be in again the next day. And now sporting director Jarmo Mahonen is waving farewell. The grapevine’s had this former co-driver in and out on more than on occasion in the last 12 months, but his exit looks certain post-Deutschland.

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/columns/whats-wrong-with-some-wrc-rumours/

'Lehtinen', not 'Mahonen'.

Allez Andruet
17th August 2017, 08:39
https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9780825

Jarmo Lehtinen explaining the reasons behind his departure from TGR. He claims it's "mostly" due to personal reasons as it's hard for the family when he's travelling 300 days a year. However, he also says that there were "some different opinions" within the team regarding the team's future and his own position as well. Hard to say which played the bigger role in his exit, but one could assume that Lehtinen, with all his experience, knew what kind of job it would be with all the travelling and stuff when he was assigned for the position he's now stepping down from.

sonnybobiche
18th August 2017, 00:45
The TGR documentary is on motorsport tv now. It’s still amazing to see how bold Mr. Toyoda was, trusting Makinen to carry on the project in a remote Finn village, and how focused and competent the new team staff was, managing to build a winning car on such a short time. The doc also shows Lehtinen major role in the team building process; he’ll for sure be missed, if his departure really happens.

Where do you see it? I'm looking all over motorsport tv (yes the paid version) and I don't see anything. Maybe it's limited to your region?

Rally Power
18th August 2017, 01:50
Where do you see it? I'm looking all over motorsport tv (yes the paid version) and I don't see anything. Maybe it's limited to your region?

We have the international package. They repeated it a couple of times since last Friday and they’re playing it again during next weekend. Btw, the doc is only called ‘TEAM’ https://www.motorstv.com/tv-guide/day/2017-08-19

DonJippo
21st August 2017, 14:03
By any chance, do you mean this? http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2949640 Team - Story of Toyota Gazoo Racing WRT

Don't know if it works outside of Finland.

EstWRC
22nd August 2017, 09:02
is this it? now on youtube for everyone to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6aNsSWpCQ

racerx1979
22nd August 2017, 09:17
Great, thanks for this. I rarely check watch the Toyota Gazoo youtube feed.

You're boy Tanak will be part of this team in 2018 :D

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd August 2017, 10:22
Colin Clark podcast had an interesting take on Toyota and Hanninen. His recent improvement seems to mirror his IRC days where he was initially crash-prone but sorted himself out and becamw super-reliable and fast for two seasons.

He also beat Neuville, Mikkelsen and Meeke to the IRC titles...

Hartusvuori
23rd August 2017, 10:39
Colin Clark podcast had an interesting take on Toyota and Hanninen. His recent improvement seems to mirror his IRC days where he was initially crash-prone but sorted himself out and becamw super-reliable and fast for two seasons.

He also beat Neuville, Mikkelsen and Meeke to the IRC titles...

I'd say he only beat Meeke. Neuville in 2010 was in the beginning of his international career and all over the place. Same year Mikkelsen drove with Hankooks. But sure, had Neuville and Mikkelsen been Juho's team mates in 2010, Juho would've been the fastest. In 2011 Juho lost the title to Mikkelsen - partially because of a crash in Cyprus.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd August 2017, 10:46
I'd say he only beat Meeke. Neuville in 2010 was in the beginning of his international career and all over the place. Same year Mikkelsen drove with Hankooks. But sure, had Neuville and Mikkelsen been Juho's team mates in 2010, Juho would've been the fastest. In 2011 Juho lost the title to Mikkelsen - partially because of a crash in Cyprus.

Thanks... my memory has faded a bit about the IRC days.

But I do remember sometimes thinking that Hanninen was a future World Champion ... he seemed to have it all.

mknight
23rd August 2017, 11:24
What Hartusvuori wrote.

Hanninen didn't really "beat them", the more correct wording would perhaps be that they (Hanninen, Neuville, Mikkelsen) were at very similar level at that time.

Hanninen won in 2010 against Meeke while Neuville drove only some events and Mikkelsen also only some and on Hankook.
In 2011 it went down to the last race where Hanninen and Neuville crashed and Mikkelsen won. The years after Hanninen never drove full season, but when he drove he had same speed as Mikkelsen.

Anyway Colin Clark picked out the main point, before Finland and Germany it was a no brainer to drop Hanninen next year. Now it's not 100% clear call.
+ good recent results so seems to be improving which might be due to long break
- he is still not a "reliably fast" driver that would get at worst 5th in all events, something that Toyota needs to complement Latvala as title challenger + Lappi as future/developing driver to maximaze their chances for manu title

AnttiL
25th August 2017, 06:14
Apparently Suninen is the hardest working driver at the moment. He has been doing drives with several different coaches and did so before Finland as well. Was told he is very driven to succeed and willing to learn and Toyota really likes that about him.

You can also see this about his post-stage interviews, even when he does a fastest time, he doesn't smile and just thinks about how it could have been better.

And to add to this I was told Tommi is really fond of Juho. I guess Juho was there from the start and Tommi has a solid relationship with him and believes he can do a lot better and needs more time doing WRC events. Everyone on the team is hoping he does well for the sake of his future. I guess he is the "nice guy" everyone likes and has a great personality even though he does not come off that way in his interviews.

He would be the Sordo of Toyota if he can keep the same pace as the last two events.
I think Hänninen driving for Toyota this year is just because Hänninen was there from the beginning developing and testing the car, and doing this season is a part of the development program, having the same guy drive the car on the actual events. And 12 months ago, they didn't really have much better options for experienced drivers when VW was still around.

I think Hänninen is a favourite of all Finnish rally hobbyists, because he's so down to earth, like he's "one of us", whereas J-M is more of a distant superstar and a more emotional character. Meanwhile, Hänninen's character doesn't open up much in his English interviews because he talks just a little bit of Rally English, but in Finnish he's very witty with a funny dialect.

JTGANG
25th August 2017, 08:50
You can also see this about his post-stage interviews, even when he does a fastest time, he doesn't smile and just thinks about how it could have been better.

I think Hänninen driving for Toyota this year is just because Hänninen was there from the beginning developing and testing the car, and doing this season is a part of the development program, having the same guy drive the car on the actual events. And 12 months ago, they didn't really have much better options for experienced drivers when VW was still around.

I think Hänninen is a favourite of all Finnish rally hobbyists, because he's so down to earth, like he's "one of us", whereas J-M is more of a distant superstar and a more emotional character. Meanwhile, Hänninen's character doesn't open up much in his English interviews because he talks just a little bit of Rally English, but in Finnish he's very witty with a funny dialect.

Back in the Acropolis days while we have approached many drivers for a few words Hanninen was by far the most polite and friendly from all drivers

racerx1979
25th August 2017, 09:35
So what do you do if you're Tommi? Do you let go of Hanninen or keep him for another year. Especially if he does a few more top 5 events later this year?

Also if Toyota drops Hanninen where does he go? I don't think he is on anyone's radar. Unfortunately I feel his only hope is Toyota.

I know Japanese mentality and thinking fairly well. My wife is Japanese :). I would say the Toyota boss would keep Hanninen for at least one more year. Time will tell...

AnttiL
25th August 2017, 09:41
So what do you do if you're Tommi? Do you let go of Hanninen or keep him for another year. Especially if he does a few more top 5 events later this year?

The contracts for 2018 are most likely sealed before Spain.

Also if Toyota drops Hanninen where does he go? I don't think he is on anyone's radar. Unfortunately I feel his only hope is Toyota.
Hänninen will probably retire. https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9357001 this interview (from late 2016) in Finnish hints that he's soon going to continue farming on his family farm and wants to spend more time with his kids. Although, he concludes the interview by saying that he can continue with Toyota in 2018 if he drives well.

racerx1979
25th August 2017, 09:51
Farming with the family would not a be a bad idea. Especially in Finland.

Hartusvuori
25th August 2017, 10:47

I wouldn't describe Latvala as a distant superstar. He's 110% rallying guy, every now and then goes to spectate events and every now and then drives local events too. He's always polite. As for Hänninen, I couldn't agree more he is the funniest and most down to earth. In Germany at recce we were joking around and while he was leaving, I said "at least try to be faster than him" and pointed at Kopecky's way. Juho grinned and thank for setting such a modest goal for the event. If Juho would retire, his character would be missed.

seb_sh
25th August 2017, 10:59
Another point to consider is how many cars they will field next year, maybe they are the ones that want 4 car teams. Also as racerx1979 says, Japanese manufacturers are very loyal to those that are loyal to them. An example would be Pedrosa in MotoGP, Honda stuck by him during injuries and periods of mediocre results. Hanninen fits that bill so if there is somehow an open position that isn't filled by a clearly better driver he will get it. It may also be an option that he continues as test driver for the team.

racerx1979
25th August 2017, 11:03
I agree, something tells me Juho will still be on the team as a test driver if he does not get seat.

AnttiL
25th August 2017, 11:13
I would also see Hänninen as a test and gravel crew driver if it wasn't for his comments in the interview about becoming a farmer and wanting to spend time with the kids and how 2016 was a busier year for him than 2017 would be because of all the testing work.

Rally Power
25th August 2017, 13:31
Japanese may have a different business ethic but they’re not dumb and there’s a huge marketing value that’ll be wasted if TGR continues with an all finish line up (or even 2 Finns plus Tanak). Getting a Brit (Evans, like it was speculated, or Meeke if he leaves Citroen) would certainly boost Toyota image in a major market like GB. Still, the main marketing target remains the WRC manu title and Ogier is always the best option to get it...

Tarmop
25th August 2017, 14:06
They commented that "all-Finnish" thing i believe and said that bigger markets like Asia etc consider all Europe as one so there`s no big difference who drives and where the event is held, as long as the result is good.

mknight
25th August 2017, 14:08
With regards to Ogier my impression from end of 2016 is that Tommi didn't actual want him and was ordered by Toyota to let him test.....

Which led to a test with unfinished car on wet tarmac where the car has not really been tested much before and didn't exactly excel ...subsequently Ogier turned them down.

It seems quite unlikely to me that they couldn't get a car available on some other surface/location (easiest in Finland next to the HQ) during the period of about a month before Australia and Ogier signing for M-Sport.

----------------------------

I think Tanak should decide carefully if he wants to go to Toyota at this point. Atm he has winning pace in Fiesta and just got only his 2nd win, in a car that he developed from the very beginning, with input from Ogier this year.
There is no guarantee he will have same winning pace in Toyota. Might even end up being 3rd fastest driver on many rallies.

Dropping in performance before he builds his "brand" as a stable and fast driver is the worst thing that can happen for future career. See Martin and his change to Peugeot in 2005 for an example of a perceived performance drop. Note that Martin first left Ford after two seasons with rally wins.

pantealex
25th August 2017, 14:44
It´s nearly impossible to drive at gravel in central Finland between mid october and april. Roads are too wet/soft or icy/snowy.
I agree that TGR did´t 100% want Ogier for 2017

To me main question is: How fast is FiestaWRC18 ?
If FORD is not coming along, is development slower than other teams do?
If Fiesta18 is fast enough against other WRC´s, I see no point of team change for any current Fiesta17 driver.
But I´m still pretty sure that driver(s) are switching and I don´t believe that money/salory is the reason.

rallye-vid
25th August 2017, 15:49
I think if Ogier goes to Toyota, Latvala will go to M-Sport

AnttiL
25th August 2017, 15:57
I think if Ogier goes to Toyota, Latvala will go to M-Sport

Latvala's deal for 2018 is already quite secured. And so is Lappi's.

rallye-vid
25th August 2017, 15:58
Yes, i know. But he will go crazy with Ogier in same team again

mknight
25th August 2017, 16:22
To me main question is: How fast is FiestaWRC18 ?
If FORD is not coming along, is development slower than other teams do?
If Fiesta18 is fast enough against other WRC´s, I see no point of team change for any current Fiesta17 driver.
But I´m still pretty sure that driver(s) are switching and I don´t believe that money/salory is the reason.

Since rules are not getting changed and there is only some 1.5 months before Australia and Monte I very much doubt there will be any major changes in any car. Sure some development will go on, just like it did trough this year, but until at least middle 2018 Fiesta will be one of the fastest cars no matter if Ford comes or not.

Rally Power
25th August 2017, 16:29
With regards to Ogier my impression from end of 2016 is that Tommi didn't actual want him and was ordered by Toyota to let him test.....

Ok, probably having Ogier would add more pressure on their first year…but then, why let him do a test on a wrongly tuned car and take the bad publicity? Japan asked Makinen to make the test and Makinen ‘sabotaged’ it? It’s all a bit hard to believe...especially knowning that the car was improved before homologation and the wet tarmac conditions were new to the team.

Honestly, I hope Ogier will go to Citroen just because it’d be a guarantee of having all manus fighting for the win, but it’s hard to understand that the world biggest car manu won’t fight to have the world best rally driver, no matter who runs their team.

electroliquid
25th August 2017, 17:22
Honestly, I hope Ogier will go to Citroen just because it’d be a guarantee of having all manus fighting for the win, but it’s hard to understand that the world biggest car manu won’t fight to have the world best rally driver, no matter who runs their team.

I believe it's not Japanese way to do things like that, to buy best driver and then take credits. Maybe they want to build best car and to prove it by letting car be driven by those, who are fast but not already proved themselves?

mknight
25th August 2017, 17:26
Ok, probably having Ogier would add more pressure on their first year…but then, why let him do a test on a wrongly tuned car and take the bad publicity? Japan asked Makinen to make the test and Makinen ‘sabotaged’ it? It’s all a bit hard to believe...especially knowning that the car was improved before homologation and the wet tarmac conditions were new to the team.

Well Tommi himself said 1 month later that it was right for Ogier to turn them down cause the car wasn't good then.... which really begs the question why they let him test on wet tarmac which was new for the car in the first place. Malcolm put Ogier in Fiesta on dry gravel on their own test track.

pantealex
25th August 2017, 17:28
They want Ogier now but case was different year ago: Think if worlds best driver can´t be competitive with your car, who to blame? Yes, car.

EstWRC
25th August 2017, 17:42
i was just thinking with the rumours that Malcolm cant hold all of his drivers....Ogier, Latvala and Tänak in Toyota would be quite a lineup...Lappi in 4th car.

well, one can dream

Rally Power
25th August 2017, 18:17
i was just thinking with the rumours that Malcolm cant hold all of his drivers....Ogier, Latvala and Tänak in Toyota would be quite a lineup...Lappi in 4th car.
well, one can dream

I was about to mention the possible fears of a VW steam roll remake if Toyota gets Ogier alongside Latvala and Lappi and you’re adding Tanak to the lineup…for some that would be a nightmare, not a dream!

Seriously, current situation is different from 2012 and the general balance probably won’t get affected by next year drivers moves. Btw, I agree with mknight on Tanak: he would probably have more chances to become champ at MSport (without Ogier) than in Toyota, alongside Latvala and Lappi. Time will tell.

doubled1978
25th August 2017, 20:07
Well Tommi himself said 1 month later that it was right for Ogier to turn them down cause the car wasn't good then.... which really begs the question why they let him test on wet tarmac which was new for the car in the first place. Malcolm put Ogier in Fiesta on dry gravel on their own test track.

I thought Ogier tested in Rheola (Walters Arena) and not Greystoke?

Simmi
25th August 2017, 20:14
I thought Ogier tested in Rheola (Walters Arena) and not Greystoke?

Correct. Still though I guess it's somewhere M-Sport know well and not some unfamiliar stretch of wet tarmac.

racerx1979
25th August 2017, 21:29
Toyota wants nothing to do with Ogier.

Lappi and Latvala are confirmed for 2018. They're looking at Tanak and Suninen if Hanninen isn't let go. If Hanninen does well he might even stay on the team...0

GravelBen
26th August 2017, 01:18
Well Tommi himself said 1 month later that it was right for Ogier to turn them down cause the car wasn't good then.... which really begs the question why they let him test on wet tarmac which was new for the car in the first place.

IIRC they said it was largely down to scheduling issues - that was more or less the only time Ogier could/would travel to test it, and they already had that test planned well in advance.

jparker
5th October 2017, 10:02
Are we going to see Yaris 2018 model next year? Any news from TGR?

pantealex
5th October 2017, 11:07
Are we going to see Yaris 2018 model next year? Any news from TGR?

It will be basically same car than this year, same chassis numbers. = no WRC17 on sale for privateers.

racerx1979
5th October 2017, 12:25
I’m sure they’ll use different bumpers etc, but same chassis.

Daviesalaam
10th October 2017, 20:40
only cosmetic changes

Daviesalaam
10th October 2017, 20:45
Latvala,Tanak,Lappi....this is awesome

Eli
11th October 2017, 08:18
I’m sure they’ll use different bumpers etc, but same chassis.

And a better-looking livery perhaps?

er88
11th October 2017, 08:23
And a better-looking livery perhaps?That'll only be changed slightly, if at all. The colours are the colours of TGR across all their motorsport ventures.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Eli
11th October 2017, 08:26
That'll only be changed slightly, if at all. The colours are the colours of TGR across all their motorsport ventures.

Sometimes even the smallest of change can make a good difference.

Andre Oliveira
14th October 2017, 11:46
It seems Kaj Lindström will replace Jarmo Lehtinen in TGR. Rumours about no Hänninen in Australia.

Allez Andruet
14th October 2017, 15:40
It seems Kaj Lindström will replace Jarmo Lehtinen in TGR. Rumours about no Hänninen in Australia.

And source for those rumours is...?

AnttiL
14th October 2017, 16:07
I think the original plan was that Lappi would not drive in Australia so maybe the budget was for two cars all along.

racerx1979
14th October 2017, 16:13
If Hanninen is sadly on his way out it makes no sense for him to drive Australia.

I also heard Toyota was going to be the official sponsor which would be a shame if they only had two cars.

I’m assuming if Hanninen loses his position he is most likely going to take a back seat from WRC?

Allez Andruet
14th October 2017, 17:54
If Hanninen is sadly on his way out it makes no sense for him to drive Australia.

Wouldn't the same apply for Wales as well (or for Germany, if everything had been lined out prior to that)?

If (and unfortunately seemingly when) Hänninen loses his seat at TGR, he'll call it a day. That's almost certain, I'd say.

But yes, it's really unfortunate if we're to lose Hänninen after this season. I personally have been following his career quite closely since 2004, so it'll be somewhat different next season (or so it seems).

Simmi
14th October 2017, 21:33
Wouldn't the same apply for Wales as well (or for Germany, if everything had been lined out prior to that)?

I guess Australia being a long-haul event makes it a different proposition.

steve.mandzij
14th October 2017, 21:37

If (and unfortunately seemingly when) Hänninen loses his seat at TGR, he'll call it a day. That's almost certain, I'd say.

But yes, it's really unfortunate if we're to lose Hänninen after this season. I personally have been following his career quite closely since 2004, so it'll be somewhat different next season (or so it seems).Especially considering his rise in form for the second half of the year it'll be super unfortunate to see him go. Without him Toyota won't have a Sordo, Evans or Breen to pull back and score points (Lappi, maybe?)

Alex009
14th October 2017, 21:41
It's because they are way over budget and have to save money. Sad for Hanninen.

nafpaktos
14th October 2017, 23:26
this is the best PROOF i suppose that the rumors for MEGA budget are just rumors.

er88
15th October 2017, 01:18
this is the best PROOF i suppose that the rumors for MEGA budget are just rumors.They could offer a driver 10-15m a year and it wouldn't be a problem for them at all. Their bosses in Japan will, and have, backed this wrc program. They just won't spend money where it's not needed to be spent

racerx1979
15th October 2017, 04:35
Yes no need to spend a million dollars just because you have it.

Zeakiwi
15th October 2017, 10:29
I’m assuming if Hanninen loses his position he is most likely going to take a back seat from WRC?

Hanninen could be retained to develop the Toyota R5 (If that is still going ahead?) or shift to drive the WRC2/ APRC Proton Iriz (Proton has 49.9% ownership by Geely china - (also own volvo cars now)

Andre Oliveira
15th October 2017, 12:40
Source was Fernando Albes.

racerx1979
15th October 2017, 16:33
Well you should have said that in the beginning. Fernando is always right :)

AL14
16th October 2017, 15:00
So it's official now that Toyota will be there with just 2 cars. Contrary to most of the people here I don't like this decision. Or Toyota has really not the budget we think they have, or they are being a bit unfair to Juho. I know very well he is not going to compete next year but I think a team should grow also a sentiment of "team" that can go over the concepts of money and budget sometimes.
I think that Hanninen, who has developed the car from the very beginning, and who has worked very hard to get valuable points after a difficulty start of the championship, deserved a place in Australia.

steve.mandzij
16th October 2017, 15:02
So it's official now that Toyota will be there with just 2 cars. Contrary to most of the people here I don't like this decision. Or Toyota has really not the budget we think they have, or they are being a bit unfair to Juho. I know very well he is not going to compete next year but I think a team should grow also a sentiment of "team" that can go over the concepts of money and budget sometimes.
I think that Hanninen, who has developed the car from the very beginning, and who has worked very hard to get valuable points after a difficulty start of the championship, deserved a place in Australia.What if Juho didn't want to drive in Australia?

Andre Oliveira
16th October 2017, 15:11
https://www.mtv.fi/sport/ralli/uutinen/artikkeli/tommi-makinen-vahvistaa-hanninen-sivuun-toyotalta-ennen-paatoskisaa/6619992?mtv_ref=twb_urheilu_uusimmat_ei-F1-kiekko

Allez Andruet
16th October 2017, 15:34
https://www.mtv.fi/sport/ralli/uutinen/artikkeli/tommi-makinen-vahvistaa-hanninen-sivuun-toyotalta-ennen-paatoskisaa/6619992?mtv_ref=twb_urheilu_uusimmat_ei-F1-kiekko

Tommi confirms there will be only two cars, so no-one's replacing Hänninen in Australia. And Juho's plans (the story doesn't say if there's any) for 2018 will be announced later.

Simmi
16th October 2017, 15:37
What if Juho didn't want to drive in Australia?

???

The same way it took Toyota ages to get Lappi into the third car this year, they clearly aren't throwing money around on this project for the sake of it. Taking Hanninen to Australia at the expense of Lappi makes no sense looking forward - even Juho would acknowledge this I'm sure. With the way the freight works I don't think you can make these snap decisions when it comes to entering long-haul events.

You could argue (and many people have) that Juho was lucky to even be in the drive this year. I'm really glad he did get the chance, but in the end he showed us exactly what we already knew. He can be fast everywhere but is nowhere near consistent enough across a season. I hope he can stick around and do some test/R5 work - maybe a car for Finland who knows.

pantealex
16th October 2017, 17:48
Tommi said in MTV3 "tulosruutu" video that Juho is driving development tests in Spain same time as Rally Australia.

Decision to go with 2 cars was made months ago.

Juho didn´t recce Australia last year.

Allez Andruet
16th October 2017, 18:17
You could argue (and many people have) that Juho was lucky to even be in the drive this year. I'm really glad he did get the chance, but in the end he showed us exactly what we already knew. He can be fast everywhere but is nowhere near consistent enough across a season. I hope he can stick around and do some test/R5 work - maybe a car for Finland who knows.
Sorry, but that's quite poor and insufficient analysis in my opinion. Ofcourse you could argue for and against whether Juho was lucky to get the TGR seat in 2016 - as easily as you can argue for and against whether he was really unlucky not to get that kind of a seat somewhere around 2012.

And sure, at the end of the day, there's no-one else to blame, Juho could and should have done better during the first half of the season. The trend, however, is positive and I think (personal opinion) that Juho would be really valuable asset for TGR in 2018 but what can you do? It'd be quite absurd to criticize someone for hiring Tänak as well. Though, I think the line-up of Tänak, JML and Lappi is far from ideal, but that's whole another topic altogether...

Simmi
16th October 2017, 18:24
Sorry, but that's quite poor and insufficient analysis in my opinion.

Okay dude. Your opinion. My opinion. Tell me how I'm wrong though don't just say it's poor.

Allez Andruet
16th October 2017, 18:30
Okay dude. Your opinion. My opinion. Tell me how I'm wrong though?

Didn't say you were wrong.

Allez Andruet
16th October 2017, 18:48
https://www.mtv.fi/sport/ralli/uutinen/artikkeli/tommi-makinen-vahvistaa-hanninen-sivuun-toyotalta-ennen-paatoskisaa/6619992#gs.zHfIDkU

In this 9-minute interview Tommi says that there's "going to be changes in the team" for 2018 and everything (including the new sporting director) will be announced "soon". When asked directly about Tänak, he laughs and says that he's been "following the discussion in media" but that there are "many options in the driver market". Tommi also confirms that three cars is the format for TGR in 2018.

And when asked to give grades for his current driver line-up, he praises JML and Lappi, but says that "few mistakes" lower the grade for Hänninen.

So, in a nutshell, no surprises expected when the official announcement comes: Tänak, JML and Lappi will form the trio of drivers and Kaj Lindström will fill vacancy left by Jarmo Lehtinen.

RS
16th October 2017, 20:14

Bit harsh given that this was his first full season.

If Malcolm loses Ogier and Tanak he should think about giving Juho a go.

AnttiL
16th October 2017, 20:25
https://www.mtv.fi/sport/ralli/uutinen/artikkeli/tommi-makinen-vahvistaa-hanninen-sivuun-toyotalta-ennen-paatoskisaa/6619992#gs.zHfIDkU

In this 9-minute interview Tommi says that there's "going to be changes in the team" for 2018 and everything (including the new sporting director) will be announced "soon". When asked directly about Tänak, he laughs and says that he's been "following the discussion in media" but that there are "many options in the driver market". Tommi also confirms that three cars is the format for TGR in 2018.

And when asked to give grades for his current driver line-up, he praises JML and Lappi, but says that "few mistakes" lower the grade for Hänninen.

So, in a nutshell, no surprises expected when the official announcement comes: Tänak, JML and Lappi will form the trio of drivers and Kaj Lindström will fill vacancy left by Jarmo Lehtinen.

Tommi also says twice about how great Teemu Suninen is.

Tarmop
16th October 2017, 20:31

If this is the case, then he will go back to getting paid for renting cars.

ESTR
16th October 2017, 21:16
M-Sport is like step to bigger success with factory teams. Look guys who develop their skills there. Except this year with Ogier and Tanak, they clearly go for it and if they both gone it will probably be back the leaderboard again for some years. I think if Ford will not back his programme he will still be well shown and sell a lot of their prepared cars to customers worldwide so he could compete in WRC.

mknight
16th October 2017, 22:40

I like Hanninen as a person.

But results-wise his problem always was that he crashes under pressure, this season didn't prove much otherwise. Yes this was his first full season in WRC but in IRC it was quite often the same problem.

racerx1979
17th October 2017, 00:09
Yes, Toyota would take Suninen if Tanak stays at Ford. The last I heard they were looking at both Sunien and Tanak.

Tommi is certainly a bit harsh especially considering Juho has had a great 2nd half of the season. Hope he goes all out in GB.

wrc2017
17th October 2017, 00:11
do you remember ogier in his first full season?
do you remember tanak for a few seasons
do you remeber neville crashing..
of course you member meeke crashing
you remember lavata crashing all the time
you know what the common denominator is.. they can all win rallys.

otberg, sordo etc very rarely crash... but they are unlikley to win rallys.

you would have a team full of nearly men.

I like Hanninen as a person.

But results-wise his problem always was that he crashes under pressure, this season didn't prove much otherwise. Yes this was his first full season in WRC but in IRC it was quite often the same problem.

Munkvy
17th October 2017, 00:48
do you remember ogier in his first full season?
do you remember tanak for a few seasons
do you remeber neville crashing..
of course you member meeke crashing
you remember lavata crashing all the time
you know what the common denominator is.. they can all win rallys.

otberg, sordo etc very rarely crash... but they are unlikley to win rallys.

you would have a team full of nearly men.

None of those guys won while crashing in their first season in the WRC... So when you look at their early WRC careers, you can't say "ohh they can all win rallys" we shall keep them round because they are winners, they simply weren't at the time...

- JML didn't win anything in his first full year 2007 with Stobart, and had a part year with them the year before too.
- Neuville didn't win anything with his first year in Citroen, or his second in Ford, it wasn't till his third year while at Hyundai that he finally won.
- Meeke, didn't win anything with Mini, or in his first year at Citroen, it wasn't till the second year
- Even Ogier didn't win anything in his first full season with Citroen
- Tanak - it took till his 4th full year in a WRC car before he won anything

So you are making things up I am afraid. It's normal to crash and have ups and downs in your first full year. The sad reality is due to his age and the fact that Hanninen has popped in and out of the WRC several times, people expect him to be either winning in his first full year, or they say he doesn't deserve a seat.

Given he has never had a full season before and that in 2016 he didn't even compete in the WRC at all, he had a much harder, perhaps impossible situation to overcome. Unfortunately for him, even though he was IRC, ERC and SWRC champion, he left it too late to get into the WRC and get to know the roads and cars etc and I think he will always be at a significant disadvantage and it's a bit late for him. Which is a waste really as if he left IRC and got even a part time drive in WRC who knows what could have been?

RS
17th October 2017, 05:34
Juho was already old when he was in IRC, and at that time there were far fewer WRC seats around.

Of course he is not the future but I would still rather see more of him than guys like Ostberg, Sordo, Lefebvre. .

wrc2017
17th October 2017, 06:25
im not making things up. hanninen has true speed. has won irc title. he just needs time at this level. another season he could win a rally. im not say he could be wrc champion. but he has more prospect that some others.. id have him before...lebfreve, otsberg, sordo, breen

N.O.T
17th October 2017, 06:28
id have him before...lebfreve, otsberg, sordo, breen

That is why its you, and nothing important in the sport...

AL14
17th October 2017, 13:16
???

The same way it took Toyota ages to get Lappi into the third car this year, they clearly aren't throwing money around on this project for the sake of it. Taking Hanninen to Australia at the expense of Lappi makes no sense looking forward - even Juho would acknowledge this I'm sure. With the way the freight works I don't think you can make these snap decisions when it comes to entering long-haul events.

I disagree with that. You can see that money as a waste to bring a thrid car and a driver you will not confirm next year. I see that as an investment to build a stronger team spirit. Knowing that nobody will be sacrified even if he is going to say goodbye can be a huge motivation for everyone in the team. Team spirit is very important in rally. VW dominated also because of that.

P.S. Of course you should not left Lappi at home either otherwise it doesn't make sense.

jiipee64
18th October 2017, 06:52
Tanak confirmed.

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 06:52
Also
Kaj Lindström, currently co-driver for Juho Hänninen, is taking on a new role as sporting director for the team, starting from Rally Australia this year. With this revised line-up, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing WRT will continue its challenge into the 2018 season

HarriK
18th October 2017, 06:55
http://toyotagazooracing.com/release/2017/wrc/1018-01.html

GigiGalliNo1
18th October 2017, 07:05
There you go! Well done and a positive future

mmm
18th October 2017, 07:29
Hmm, can't find any info on the contract length - surely can't be only for one year?

EstWRC
18th October 2017, 07:44
Congrats to Toyota and Tänak!

Theres still some work to do with the car but overall they have done a lot lot lot better than many thought. Cant wait to see what Ott can do with this car.

pantealex
18th October 2017, 07:54
Deal was made in July, signed later about month ago.

All speculation after that was just PR talk.

Now for M-Sport sake I hope Ogier stays!

ESTR
18th October 2017, 07:57

I would rather see that too... So Breen could have full programme. He really deserves it.

Andre Oliveira
18th October 2017, 08:10
Sad as Ford and Latvala fan.

Happy as Tänak fan and Toyota sympathy ;)

As Juho big fan.... better wait to know more :/

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 08:16
I think Juho's career is ending. Toyota thanks him for everything he's done, his co-driver goes to work as Toyota's Sporting Director and he said a year ago in an interview that soon it's time to go back to farming full-time, and to spend time with his kids.

ESTR
18th October 2017, 08:24
I think Juho's career is ending. Toyota thanks him for everything he's done, his co-driver goes to work as Toyota's Sporting Director and he said a year ago in an interview that soon it's time to go back to farming full-time, and to spend time with his kids.

Maybe in few years he will get a call from new manufacturer to develop a car.

rp
18th October 2017, 08:37
It´s good for Ott, because he will get a lot of money, but the Fiesta was made for him. Not be surprised if he is not able to find the same kind of speed with the Yaris straight away. He was talking to stay in the best team also next year. Without the doubt M-Sport is still the best team, so this was just bullshit :) Toyota is almost there, but not yet. There is still a lot of work to do to achieve M-Sport´s level...

Was thinking that Tommi will trust Jari-Matti and Esapekka, but after that it´s clear that their position is not so high anymore. Esapekka is now clearly the 3rd driver. Of course Tommi´s main target is to get Manufacturer´s title for Toyota and it´s possible with this kind of driver line-up.

Sad for Juho, but happy that he got at least one full season behind the wheel of the World Rally Car. Hopefully he will still drive a couple of events. Surely his testing work with the Toyota will continue.

Shame on Ford that they are totally lost! There was a possibility to keep Malcolm´s dream team together, but sadly Ford is American company and the board can not understand that now was the right time to make a decision to come back to the WRC full time. Maybe something is still going on, but it´s too late already :(

Sub_Skoda
18th October 2017, 08:43
I don't understand Tanak's choise. We wants to fight for the title next year and he leaves M-Sport for Toyota???! No, i don't understand.

rp
18th October 2017, 08:48
I don't understand Tanak's choise. We wants to fight for the title next year and he leaves M-Sport for Toyota???! No, i don't understand.

Money will help the situation :)

electroliquid
18th October 2017, 08:56

Maybe he know Ogier stays? With Ogier in same team nobody has real chances to fight for title, not due to skills, bud because name. Loeb did that (maybe not on purpose) on Ogier, now Ogier on everybody else. And Tanak don't want to stay in Ogier's shadow. Money also helps.

ESTR
18th October 2017, 08:59
And he will be closer to home... He have a little child to take care of. And to raise a future star of motorsport.

dupanton
18th October 2017, 09:05
Don't underestimate Toyota! They did a lot better then everybody expected. With that 1 year experience, they will be very close!

er88
18th October 2017, 09:17
I don't understand Tanak's choise. We wants to fight for the title next year and he leaves M-Sport for Toyota???! No, i don't understand.What's hard to understand? He saw the millions €€€€

EstWRC
18th October 2017, 09:26
of course money is a big part because he has a family he has to take care of. So far he drove for nothing, this year Wilson paid him but that money was nothing what Wilson is paying to Ogier...

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 09:33
There's also the development factor. Tänak must know that M-Sport has no budget for same development as Toyota. In 2017 Fiesta might be the best car, but where are they in 2019?

If it's true that the contract was made in July, Tänak made his decision before seeing the string of technical failures on Latvala's car, and Toyota sacked Hänninen before he made three best results of his season (and his whole career).

What will be the team dynamics at TGR? To me it looks like they have three guys who are all aiming for the world title. Who can they tell to ease off and secure manufacturer points?

mknight
18th October 2017, 09:36
Lappi aiming for world title in 2018 is a bit of stretch.

AMSS
18th October 2017, 09:37
According to this interview, Ogier also wanted to go to Toyota..
https://www.mtv.fi/sport/ralli/uutinen/artikkeli/tommi-makinen-paljastaa-ogier-halusi-toyotalle/6622330#gs.Bu33Y88

EstWRC
18th October 2017, 09:37
Well thats the thing, we can speculate and argue here but the reality is that the teams and drivers know better how the things work and whats best for them....im sure Tänak and Märtin talked every detail of this move through before joining.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
18th October 2017, 09:40
It's Toyotanak, guys..!!

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk

EstWRC
18th October 2017, 09:47
no, its ToyOTTa ;)

er88
18th October 2017, 09:47
How long is the contract anyway? Surely not just a year...?

Allez Andruet
18th October 2017, 09:50
What will be the team dynamics at TGR? To me it looks like they have three guys who are all aiming for the world title. Who can they tell to ease off and secure manufacturer points?

That's a really good point. Now TGR basically has three #1's, which in many cases has proven to be not-so-optimal line-up. You don't need (and you don't even want) to have three "winners" in the team.

What kind of form we'll see from JML next year if and when he's not the clear #1? And what about Lappi? He should be a champion rather sooner than later, so what's the point of having him as #3 (which he undoubtly will be)? And for Tänak, is he able to keep is brilliant momentum on, now that the team and the car are both new to him?

What I think is the most interesting question, is that what exactly did Tommi think he'll get by hiring Tänak, that he wouldn't already have?

racerx1979
18th October 2017, 09:53
Deal was made in July, signed later about month ago.

All speculation after that was just PR talk.

I mentioned this around August on this forum
that he would go to Toyota. It’s good to know my source was correct. He is the same source who said that Ogiers manager had called Toyota to secure a deal around July of this year. Maybe both Ogier and Tanak knew about M-Sports future hurdles considering how early this was.

As far as Ogier, Tommi does not like the guy, but I’m sure it’s TGR’s big bosses who make the final decision.

Bummed for Hanninen, but great news for Tanak. Toyota will be a threat next year. They’ve had a great first year.

dimviii
18th October 2017, 09:58
https://www.mtv.fi/sport/ralli/uutinen/artikkeli/tommi-makinen-paljastaa-ogier-halusi-toyotalle/6622330#gs.Bu33Y88

Makinen preferred Tanak instead of Ogier for better team spirit?
seems like a payback to Ogiers comments after his first test before a year.

Tarmop
18th October 2017, 10:00
That's a really good point. Now TGR basically has three #1's, which in many cases has proven to be not-so-optimal line-up. You don't need (and you don't even want) to have three "winners" in the team.

What kind of form we'll see from JML next year if and when he's not the clear #1? And what about Lappi? He should be a champion rather sooner than later, so what's the point of having him as #3 (which he undoubtly will be)? And for Tänak, is he able to keep is brilliant momentum on, now that the team and the car are both new to him?

What I think is the most interesting question, is that what exactly did Tommi think he'll get by hiring Tänak, that he wouldn't already have?

For that Lappi should firstly participate and gain experience from all 13 rounds and improve a lot on tarmac. So still a season or two to get there... All the leading teams have or have had drivers competing for WDC individually. Some bad examples, some really strong, but both have in common that they also win the manu. title (M-Sport this season, Citroen, VW etc.)

dimviii
18th October 2017, 10:03
Now TGR basically has three #1's, ?

Lappi No1?

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 10:03

Also, Tänak was considered already a year ago, but he chose to go for another year at M-Sport.

Allez Andruet
18th October 2017, 10:07
Lappi No1?

From pure speed point of view he won't be #3...

dimviii
18th October 2017, 10:16
From pure speed point of view he won't be #3...

I can understand that you are in a hurry to take what it belongs to Finland,but be patient.
Lappi still tries to finish an asphalt rally.

AMSS
18th October 2017, 10:18

So it seems, if this is the case that it`s a payback than it`s not perhaps an example of great leadership but time will tell who`s done the right decision.

Allez Andruet
18th October 2017, 10:23
I can understand that you are in a hurry to take what it belongs to Finland,but be patient.

:D

I really don't think Lappi could challenge either JML or Tänak next season in the overall standings, but my point was that Lappi is not your typical #3 driver - one TGR would definitely need in 2018 if they're serious about challenging for the manu title. Lappi probably wins one rally, then crashes out on the next three, which doesn't help either JML, Tänak or TGR as a team. The profile TGR needs for that position (now that they've chosen to go with JML and Tänak) in my opinion is something like Hänninen, Breen or Sordo.

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 10:26
Yeh, what I mean is that Lappi is not a Sordo, an experienced guy to secure manufacturer points, but he's not either a total newbie, having already won a rally and being on the pace in all rallies this year. It's true that 2018 is more of an experience gaining year for Lappi, but he's also capable of winning. Maybe Latvala will become the experienced guy who secures manufacturer points when the wild fast guys fail? Wouldn't have expected to say that a year ago.

Tarmop
18th October 2017, 10:27
Well, Evans for instance has scored points for M-Sport on three occasions, but they would still be comfortabely in lead without those points. It shouldn`t be only M-Sport who gives seats and opportunities to young and developing drivers.

AMSS
18th October 2017, 10:39

Om the other hand I don`t think Tommi has the final decision who he gets to sign, this decision comes from the ones who actually pay..

steve.mandzij
18th October 2017, 10:41
Sad as Ford and Latvala fan.

Happy as Tänak fan and Toyota sympathy ;)

As Juho big fan.... better wait to know more :/Why sad as a Latvala fan? As far as I know Latvala and Tanak get along quite well. Add Lappi to the mix and I believe Toyota will have the best team climate in the championship.

rp
18th October 2017, 10:41
It´s true that now TGR has three #1's, which may be a big problem.

All the drivers are able to drive very fast, but also happens to crash many times during the season. Maybe sporting director Kaj Lindström can make event by event strategy and someone will secure points every time :)

Will be interesting season!

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 10:48
All the drivers are able to drive very fast, but also happens to crash many times during the season.

Latvala has crashed only once this season, in Portugal, and it was probably because he was ill with fever.

In the previous years, Latvala used to crash often by going too wide sideways, often knocking a rear wheel. He hasn't done that with the Yaris. Maybe the car suits his style better? Or it's just that he drives better with active center diff?

Andre Oliveira
18th October 2017, 11:11
Latvala did the best season in my opinion, but now is different, he is week and Tänak will put big pressure.

Sub_Skoda
18th October 2017, 11:23
Money will help the situation :)

How much?

I wish the best to Tänak but i'm disappointed about this decision.

Allez Andruet
18th October 2017, 11:25
http://www.rallit.fi/makinen-kertoi-tanakin-sopimuksen-yksityiskohdista/

Mäkinen: 2-year deal (plus undisclosed options) for Tänak.

STI69
18th October 2017, 11:47
New Toyota Gazoo WRC team logistics and R5 development base construction in Tallinn is well underway: https://www.facebook.com/NOBEehitus/posts/470191733360257

EstWRC
18th October 2017, 12:05
My friend is building it :)

Coach 2
18th October 2017, 12:57
How much?

I wish the best to Tänak but i'm disappointed about this decision.

So you think it is his decision alone, and that those who have put money into his carieer has nothing to say?

Sub_Skoda
18th October 2017, 13:05
New Toyota Gazoo WRC team logistics and R5 development base construction in Tallinn is well underway: https://www.facebook.com/NOBEehitus/posts/470191733360257

With Juhi to develop the R5?

STI69
18th October 2017, 13:07
Most likely the two years contract with Toyota was more appealing than the one year deal offered by M-Sport. I heard that the money was not the main criteria of this decision.

Rally Power
18th October 2017, 13:57
Congrats to Tanak and Toyota. We can expect great achievements from both in 2018.

dimviii
18th October 2017, 14:11
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMZ_3XWX4AAEdCw.jpg

racerx1979
18th October 2017, 14:16

Exactly. Ogier also wanted a ton of money and told Tommi he can develop the car. I guess it came off as arrogant to the team.

Revman
18th October 2017, 14:18
I love this decision by Toyota. Love it. If Ogier came, I worried about team chemistry. This is absolutely fabulous, and I am very excited. Hoping for a Manufacturers Championship, and only time will tell if any of the three can take Ogier to task. Cannot wait for 2018!

dimviii
18th October 2017, 14:20
Om the other hand I don`t think Tommi has the final decision who he gets to sign, this decision comes from the ones who actually pay..

yeap,but I don't either think that these who pay will push for somebody, that Makkinens don't like.

racerx1979
18th October 2017, 14:20
With Juhi to develop the R5?

Yes Juho will most likely help develop the car. That was the initial plan when I told they signed Tanak in August. He was also supposed to help develop the WRC cars.

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 14:36
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLnDnLWXcAA15xX.jpg:large

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 14:45
David Evans comments on his now falsy article on twitter

Wasn't all that clear when he said: "I have what I need [at M-Sport]." That stood the story up. News, by definition, is dynamic.

https://twitter.com/davidevansrally/status/920645843593711616

JAM
18th October 2017, 15:15
There's nothing false in terms of article.

There's a deduction at that time based on Tanak's own words

ESTR
18th October 2017, 15:26
Well Ogier got middle finger.. Someone smart at least. Sorry guys I don't like him because of his arrogance and thinking he is the king.. And Suninen also, he don't apreciate anything at all...

jparker
18th October 2017, 15:45
Judging about car based on scored points vs. real tech analyses and stats is childish. For sure Tanak will have better chances for title with Toyota.

mknight
18th October 2017, 15:50
Well Ogier got middle finger.. Someone smart at least. Sorry guys I don't like him because of his arrogance and thinking he is the king.. And Suninen also, he don't apreciate anything at all...

As it looks now Ogier made M-Sport win both titles this year. So yes based on results from VW and M-Sport he actually is the king.

Sure for the future it depends on each team drivers and budgets, but saying it's "smart" not to hire him because you don't like him is..... interesting.

GigiGalliNo1
18th October 2017, 15:51
Perhaps Ogier can do it a third time in a third car... a first?

AnttiL
18th October 2017, 15:53
And Suninen also, he don't apreciate anything at all...

What?

pantealex
18th October 2017, 15:53
Latvala has crashed only once this season, in Portugal, and it was probably because he was ill with fever.

In the previous years, Latvala used to crash often by going too wide sideways, often knocking a rear wheel. He hasn't done that with the Yaris. Maybe the car suits his style better? Or it's just that he drives better with active center diff?

Catalonia? "Car got hit from under" to me that means Latvala´s fault.

AMSS
18th October 2017, 16:11
Judging about car based on scored points vs. real tech analyses and stats is childish. For sure Tanak will have better chances for title with Toyota.

I was waiting for your expert analyses😆 this year the Fiesta has been better than the Yaris fair and square get over it, next year it might be different but it remains to be seen

Rally Power
18th October 2017, 16:25

Are you only interested in WRC for what drivers say or look? Don’t you care about their achievements in the stages? Honestly, no one should give a shit if Ogier sounds arrogant or Suninen never smiles; they’re fast as hell and that’s what counts in this sport.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th October 2017, 16:32
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLnDnLWXcAA15xX.jpg:large

Doesn't look too impressed ! ;)

ESTR
18th October 2017, 16:33
Are you only interested in WRC for what drivers say or look? Don’t you care about their achievements in the stages? Honestly, no one should give a shit if Ogier sounds arrogant or Suninen never smiles; they’re fast as hell and that’s what counts in this sport.

Still Makinen doesn't want him because of his speed. I didn't like him even before he achieve all that. Everyone have their favorites and no one will ever change my mind. As I said once to someone he is not legend to me and will never be so does Loeb.. Real legend is Michele Mouton. I will not disscus why.

OHL
18th October 2017, 16:49
Still Makinen doesn't want him because of his speed. I didn't like him even before he achieve all that. Everyone have their favorites and no one will ever change my mind. As I said once to someone he is not legend to me and will never be so does Loeb.. Real legend is Michele Mouton. I will not disscus why.

It's true that everyone has their favorites, and for their own reasons but not sure where you are going with this one.
Loeb was outstanding and a real sportsman by all accounts. He didn't inspire the balls out passion of someone like McRae but what Loeb achieved in his rally career is nothing short of legendary.

Alex009
18th October 2017, 17:48
Tanak so stupid. Never going to win anything with toyota. Shame. He would have been champion in 2018 with m-sport, no matter what seb will decide. Its same like martin move to peugeot.

OHL
18th October 2017, 17:54
Tanak so stupid. Never going to win anything with toyota. Shame. He would have been champion in 2018 with m-sport, no matter what seb will decide. Its same like martin move to peugeot.

You have 4 posts here, I don't have many more, but all 4 of your posts are negative towards Toyota. How have you arrived at this conclusion? Lappi stepped out of an R5 Skoda and won almost straight away in the Yaris. What indication is there that you see that Tanak cannot do do the same thing?

ESTR
18th October 2017, 18:35

Stupid for getting bunch of millions for doing what he love - racing. So then go tell your boss that you could work for free and live from air........

steve.mandzij
18th October 2017, 19:18
Catalonia? "Car got hit from under" to me that means Latvala´s fault.Nobody really knows about that one. Zero coverage.

OHL
18th October 2017, 19:30
Nobody really knows about that one. Zero coverage.

If you watch the onboards on WRC+ it's hard to see that he did anything wrong on SS5.
There was one moment where there was a big impact with the road at the 2:24 mark. Maybe this is what Latvala was referring to?
Rally Radio were saying that oil was leaking from the car at the end of the stage and it's possible that impact caused an issue that led to the oil leak.
Depending on where the oil was leaking from the options to repair it in the middle of a road section are pretty limited.

jacko
18th October 2017, 19:35
Wise decision by Ott. Toyota has showing they've a great winning car and with some updates and with a year experience they will be even stronger next year. I think he will become quickly the number one driver at least in 2018. Lappi will be even strong normalwise in 2019. Latvala, well, maybe with less presure he will drive steady and that's most of the time very quick, so that's a perfect driver in the team for the general points and even possibel wins. Yes money for sure also played a big role, at M-Sport there's simply not the budget for 2 drivers who can fight for the championship, they knew they had to let go at least one. I don't think Ogier will go to Citroën. They (Citroën) will drive with Meeke&Breen full season and Loeb and a driver like Tidemann/Hanninen/Ostberg as the third driver on different rally's.
Toyota maybe with Hanninen as a fourth driver/car but on the otherside why would they because the future isn't with him as a driver, just a test/back-up driver.
I hope Juho will end on a high in Wales!

N.O.T
18th October 2017, 20:20
If there was an award for throwing away your talent and career tanak would be the undisputed champ....

Myrvold
18th October 2017, 20:38
Perhaps Ogier can do it a third time in a third car... a first?

Nope, that would be a second.
Kankkunen won in a Peugeot, Lancia and Toyota.

If he wins this year, he'll join Kankkunen and Röhrl on the list of drivers that have won the title with more than one manufacturer.
Sidenote: I find it interesting how Röhrl won with Fiat and Opel, but not Audi.

Simmi
18th October 2017, 20:41
If nothing else it will be nice to see Ott drive something different. You've got to go back to 2010 to find the last time he did a WRC event not in a Ford.

Many people have been made to eat their words down the years when it comes to driver moves. Perceived 'great' moves turned into disasters. And questionable ones turned into world championship titles.

It's human nature - but fundamentally to call it a good or a bad move now is pointless. That will be judged in time.

jacko
18th October 2017, 20:48
- but fundamentally to call it a good or a bad move now is pointless. That will be judged in time.
Yep, we all know that except one childish person who loves negative attentions. It was this person also that marked Totoya comeback in the WRC in the hands of Makinen as a disaster but with 2 wins and a lot of other good results this year he was completly wrong as many times before.

jparker
18th October 2017, 22:21
Doesn't look too impressed ! ;)
He must read the history of this car in WRC, and then compare it with Ford.

OHL
18th October 2017, 23:51
He must read the history of this car in WRC, and then compare it with Ford.

Do you mean how both Toyota and Ford have won the manufacturer's championship 3 times?

racerx1979
18th October 2017, 23:57
Toyota will have a special turbo restrictor in 2018 :D

N.O.T
19th October 2017, 00:43
And questionable ones turned into world championship titles.

can you name one ?

pantealex
19th October 2017, 09:40
can you name one ?

Kankkunen from Lancia to T O Y O T A ;)

N.O.T
19th October 2017, 10:05
Kankkunen from Lancia to T O Y O T A ;)

when ? you mean when Lancia left the WRC ? why was controversial ?

Allez Andruet
19th October 2017, 10:20
when ? you mean when Lancia left the WRC ? why was controversial ?

It's obvious you have some "challenges" understanding the statistics and history of the sport, but Lancia was the best car in 1992 - by far. Yes, Sainz took the title, but if you look at TTE's season, Sainz was the only one doing well in that car. Kankkunen, Auriol and Aghini combined won 8 out of 14 rallies that season. So yes, Kankkunen's move to back to TTE at the end of the season was and can still be viewed as controversial.

AL14
19th October 2017, 10:25

What the hell is going on among team principals? Are they mad or what? Are they here to win the championship or to have a party together where everybody is friend and we are all kind?

I don't like Ogier either, he is indeed arrogant and a bad winner but I would do everythiing to get in my team because he wins. Citroen doesn't want to spend two pennies to become dominant again, Nandan prefer to give faith to a man who gave himself 70% and 80% to win the championship and then crashed twice in a row and he could finish third, Toyota don't hire him because he is not a lovely guy.
I really don't understand, I would have prepared a red carpet already.

N.O.T
19th October 2017, 10:29
It's obvious you have some "challenges" understanding the statistics and history of the sport, but Lancia was the best car in 1992 - by far. Yes, Sainz took the title, but if you look at TTE's season, Sainz was the only one doing well in that car. Kankkunen, Auriol and Aghini combined won 8 out of 14 rallies that season. So yes, Kankkunen's move to back to TTE at the end of the season was and can still be viewed as controversial.

what was his options ? stay at home or go to toyota ?

Allez Andruet
19th October 2017, 10:43
what was his options ? stay at home or go to toyota ?

Yes, as a three-time world champ (at that time) those exactly were his options.

steve.mandzij
19th October 2017, 10:44
What the hell is going on among team principals? Are they mad or what? Are they here to win the championship or to have a party together where everybody is friend and we are all kind?

I don't like Ogier either, he is indeed arrogant and a bad winner but I would do everythiing to get in my team because he wins. Citroen doesn't want to spend two pennies to become dominant again, Nandan prefer to give faith to a man who gave himself 70% and 80% to win the championship and then crashed twice in a row and he could finish third, Toyota don't hire him because he is not a lovely guy.
I really don't understand, I would have prepared a red carpet already.Ogier going to Toyota would be a mess. Tommi knows that he has the two drivers who are capable of beating Ogier in the championship, and if he were to sign him one of them at least would completely collapse. It would be unfair to his team and it would disrupt their perceived harmony.

EstWRC
19th October 2017, 11:25
Estonian newspapers today https://twitter.com/marguskiiver/status/920933033221509121

AnttiL
19th October 2017, 20:49
http://www.ksml.fi/urheilu/mm-ralli/Latvala-ja-H%C3%A4nninen-mukana-Peurunkarallissa/1057737?pwbi=d5a87d093ed479073d5a2e04e294cb3f

Hänninen said he found out between Deutschland and Catalunya that he's going to be out of the team for 2018. Until that he had hoped for continuation.

mknight
19th October 2017, 21:04
Ogier going to Toyota would be a mess. Tommi knows that he has the two drivers who are capable of beating Ogier in the championship, and if he were to sign him one of them at least would completely collapse. It would be unfair to his team and it would disrupt their perceived harmony.

I wonder how Latvala has shown he is capable of beating Ogier tbh. He didn't manage it in 4 years in same car.. and didn't manage it this year either. Though yes he was more consistent and often retired due to car. Then again with Polo he was also most often out due to car issues while the other 2 drivers weren't, so might have something to do with how he handles the cars.

steve.mandzij
19th October 2017, 21:18
I wonder how Latvala has shown he is capable of beating Ogier tbh. He didn't manage it in 4 years in same car.. and didn't manage it this year either. Though yes he was more consistent and often retired due to car. Then again with Polo he was also most often out due to car issues while the other 2 drivers weren't, so might have something to do with how he handles the cars.He matured immensely this year. During Catalunya I calculated Latvala's points total he'd have by now since Poland if he'd finished every rally , factoring in modest and realistic results (3, 1, 6, 6 and 2 PS points), and he'd be just 6 points behind Ogier. Of course, since his car let him down, we don't know if he'd finished the rallies, but he probably would've considering his previous results. It's a shame the Yaris let him down. All his life he's been making silly mistakes that cost him championships and the one year he's flawless the car can't handle it. Next year I'm certain he'll be the number one title challenger as long as he drives like he did this year.

tolx
19th October 2017, 22:01
Nope, that would be a second.
Kankkunen won in a Peugeot, Lancia and Toyota.

If he wins this year, he'll join Kankkunen and Röhrl on the list of drivers that have won the title with more than one manufacturer.
Sidenote: I find it interesting how Röhrl won with Fiat and Opel, but not Audi.

He was close to win in 83 with Lancia too, but was too tired of all that so raced only on 6 rounds.

Allez Andruet
19th October 2017, 22:17
http://www.rallit.fi/juho-hanniselta-suoraa-puhetta-valehtelisin-jos-vaittaisin-ettei-olisi-ttanut/

Quite straight talk from Hänninen. "I would lie if I said I wasn't pissed off" when learned about not having a seat at TGR for 2018.

Juho also says that while it "probably would be possible to rent a car from M-Sport" (in 2018) he won't do that as that road has already been seen.

Regarding the future he says that there are "no specific plans", but that he hasn't retired and is willing to drive again "as long as the offer makes sense" (presumably meaning that from sporting point of view). "Let's drive in Wales and then see where we are".

AnttiL
20th October 2017, 06:26
I think Juho can be happy that he got a seat this year. If it wasn't for them, he wouldn't have been driving elsewhere.

It's also funny that some of the same people who wanted Toyota to sack Hänninen quickly after the bad start of the season are now mad to Toyota for doing so based on only the beginning of the season.

Jeppe
20th October 2017, 08:16
It's also funny that some of the same people who wanted Toyota to sack Hänninen quickly after the bad start of the season are now mad to Toyota for doing so based on only the beginning of the season.

Could you give us a hint who are those people?

AnttiL
20th October 2017, 08:19
Could you give us a hint who are those people?

People talking on forums and twitter.

N.O.T
20th October 2017, 08:28
Yes, as a three-time world champ (at that time) those exactly were his options.

So why the move was controversial kid ?

AnttiL
20th October 2017, 09:13
The occasions when the world champion has left the team:
1979 Waldegård with Ford (and Mercedes) --> 1980 to Mercedes, Fiat and Toyota
1981 Vatanen with Ford -- 1982 to private Ford (because Ford works team didn't run in 1982)
1982 Röhrl with Opel --> 1983 to Lancia
1986 Kankkunen with Peugeot --> 1987 to Lancia (because Peugeot didn't continue in Group A)
1987 Kankkunen with Lancia --> 1988 to Toyota
1992 Sainz with Toyota --> 1993 to Lancia
2001 Burns with Subaru --> 2002 to Peugeot
2016 Ogier with VW --> 2017 to M-Sport (because VW quit)

Rally Power
20th October 2017, 13:24
http://www.rallit.fi/juho-hanniselta-suoraa-puhetta-valehtelisin-jos-vaittaisin-ettei-olisi-ttanut/

Quite straight talk from Hänninen. "I would lie if I said I wasn't pissed off" when learned about not having a seat at TGR for 2018.

Juho also says that while it "probably would be possible to rent a car from M-Sport" (in 2018) he won't do that as that road has already been seen.

Regarding the future he says that there are "no specific plans", but that he hasn't retired and is willing to drive again "as long as the offer makes sense" (presumably meaning that from sporting point of view). "Let's drive in Wales and then see where we are".

Yep, no one likes to be fired…

He sounds like he won’t be Toy’s test driver. Will Wilson pay for him?

ESTR
20th October 2017, 13:40
they want to develop r5 car. I'm sure he will be there.

er88
20th October 2017, 13:53
Will Wilson pay for him?

Ofcourse not

racerx1979
20th October 2017, 14:34
Hanninen will be doing some development work in the future, but he obviously rather drive than be in the back end of things.

focus206
20th October 2017, 14:41
1981 Vatanen with Ford -- 1982 to private Ford (because Ford works team didn't run in 1982)

Vatanen was already driving a "private" Ford in 1980 and 1981, prepared by David Sutton's team, Ford works team left at the end of 1979. Although David Sutton might have had some support from Ford, of that I'm not sure.

racerx1979
20th October 2017, 15:16
Rumor has it Ford was helping Sutton, but did not want to go all in. They did however continue to post any victories on their Twitter account :D

EstWRC
20th October 2017, 19:36
couple of days past the Tänak announcement now and since Ott cant talk about it before the season end then estonian media has interviewed his father and his longtime sponsor Gross a lot.

They say the decision was very very hard to make for Ott and didnt come easily because he has been with the team for a long time and knows everybody but it is time to move on. Also there is some talk that this year when some new parts came then those parts went to Ogier and Tänak got them later. This was also confirmed by Tänak some weeks on Q&A chat.

im not sure but i think one article (there was a lot of articles)mentioned that Tänaks technical feedback is also rated highly, especially after seeing how good the Fiesta has turned for this year.

mknight
20th October 2017, 19:48
He matured immensely this year. During Catalunya I calculated Latvala's points total he'd have by now since Poland if he'd finished every rally , factoring in modest and realistic results (3, 1, 6, 6 and 2 PS points), and he'd be just 6 points behind Ogier. Of course, since his car let him down, we don't know if he'd finished the rallies, but he probably would've considering his previous results. It's a shame the Yaris let him down. All his life he's been making silly mistakes that cost him championships and the one year he's flawless the car can't handle it. Next year I'm certain he'll be the number one title challenger as long as he drives like he did this year.

While he did very good this year, especially considering the 2016 disaster and have been applauding him for that since Portugal it does not convince me enough to claim he is capable of beating Ogier. What ifs are what ifs, if he had many points he'd be under more pressure as well. In 2014-2015 there were many rallies where he had a puncture or a problem with the car while the two others never had it. Call it bad karma, bad luck, bad personal engineer or being too harsh on the car. But it's certainly strange that this bad luck seems to continue at Toyota.

itix
20th October 2017, 23:23
...relevant stuff...

Completely off topic but are you gonna change your profile pic for a toyota now? ;)

Zeakiwi
21st October 2017, 04:42
Is Hanninen likely to get a call from VW to do the fine tuning testing on the VW R5 Polo?

EstWRC
21st October 2017, 06:02
Completely off topic but are you gonna change your profile pic for a toyota now? ;)

Neeh, don’t know yet. We will see. I hope they change the livery a bit.

And seeing the cars live in Finland and Spain I must say the Citroen and Toyota look much better than on photos and videos. Especially Citroen

Mirek
21st October 2017, 17:15
Is Hanninen likely to get a call from VW to do the fine tuning testing on the VW R5 Polo?

No

Allez Andruet
21st October 2017, 17:41
https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9893887

Another new interview with Hänninen:

Juho says that while he's disappointed with Toyota's decision, it was nice for him personally to see in Catalunya that he can match the speed of the top guys. He also says that it's highly likely that he won't find a drive for 2018 - M-Sport being the only option. And Juho once again says that he's not willing to pay for a drive. Maybe the most interesting part in the interview is, that Juho says "there's been some talk" about a test driver role in TGR, as "Yaris WRC will be renewed for 2019". He says that if the team really wants him for that role, he'll "give it a thought", but also says that it's "different situation" now vs. when he was the major player in carrying out the demanding test program in 2016, as he knew he would be a race-driver in 2017.

Allez Andruet
24th October 2017, 04:27
http://www.rallit.fi/latvala-uudesta-tallikaveristaan-ott-reilu-jatka/

JML:

Ott is fair and nice guy. It will be a close competition between the three of us. You have to be at your very best. Ofcourse I'm disappointed with what happened to Juho. It would've been nice to see him compete next year as well. Maybe he'll continue as a test driver?

The most important thing (in 2018) is that we can all work together in order to get the best result. You need have competition in the team as well, it just can't get too serious - which I don't think will happen with this line-up.

The most important thing (regarding Wales) is to get back to the form I had in Finland. I feel that the recent technical issues have also contributed negatively in my performance level.

tomhlord
24th October 2017, 08:46
https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9893887
"Yaris WRC will be renewed for 2019".

Aha, so the current road-going Yaris was given a third facelift this year, which coincided with the WRC entry. The model is now 6 years old, with an all-new varient due in 2019/20, so TGR will have to create a new car then.

Tarmop
24th October 2017, 08:58
I believe that Avensis is even older...could be another FL again (or are there other talks about a completely new chassie in the article).

Allez Andruet
24th October 2017, 10:33
are there other talks about a completely new chassie in the article
Nope. It only says that Yaris WRC will be renewed for 2019 - whatever that means.

mArvAlcao17
24th October 2017, 12:17
Homologation special Yaris for WRC?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/yaris/101461/hot-toyota-yaris-gr-to-help-wrc-bid

ToughMac
25th October 2017, 01:13
So what will that mean for the proposed Yaris R5, will they hold off for the new model or enter the category with the current shape?

Tarmop
25th October 2017, 10:01
Firstly they have to start building one. VW announced its plans in late 2016 i think and the car will debut in ADAC 2018+ they already have a testmule based on the same platform (Fabia r5), so it`s not 1-2-3. Maybe they have started it already in some way but if i remember correctly, Mäkinen said it will be made in Tallinn and their new division there will be ready in a few months time. 2019 is here quite soon...

Rally Power
26th October 2017, 18:04
Homologation special Yaris for WRC?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/yaris/101461/hot-toyota-yaris-gr-to-help-wrc-bid

That’s quite interesting and unexpected. A WRC car is a sort of a proto based on a standard bodyshell/platform. If they want to build a new WRC based on future Yaris, the 25.000 units won’t need 4wd or a top engine like the old Gr.A special homologations. Right?

Mrpengski
26th October 2017, 20:42
That’s quite interesting and unexpected. A WRC car is a sort of a proto based on a standard bodyshell/platform. If they want to build a new WRC based on future Yaris, the 25.000 units won’t need 4wd or a top engine like the old Gr.A special homologations. Right?

Interesting news indeed. VW also did it with their Polo R WRC (the road car), which was different from the standard version by more than just a bigger engine. The drivetrain or engine is not really an issue, because by regulation they can be changed. The bodyshell is more of a problem, because it comes from the production car and the scope of modification is very limited. So if they can optimise the base chassis already, it could prove to be very good return on investment of re-tooling/re-organising the production line "only" to make 25000 cars. It's quite smart really.

KKS
26th October 2017, 22:34
I'm miss a little bit... so if Lindstrom will be in Australia in new role with a team - so Juho without co-driver or last rally for Juho and Toyota will be GB?

EstWRC
26th October 2017, 22:40
you have missed a lot then, GB will be Juhos final rally.

EstWRC
28th October 2017, 10:59
interview with Mäkinen about next year https://rallysportmag.com/interview-tommi-makinen-outlines-changes-toyota-gazoo-racing/

nafpaktos
30th October 2017, 22:06
Tommi says

“‘Sporting Director’ means he is looking after working closely with drivers, organisers, FIA and these areas, and make sure that all information is where it is needed, but it is only World Rally Car work.”

???????????????????????????????????????Explanation please!!!

Munkvy
30th October 2017, 22:45
Tommi says

“‘Sporting Director’ means he is looking after working closely with drivers, organisers, FIA and these areas, and make sure that all information is where it is needed, but it is only World Rally Car work.”

???????????????????????????????????????Explanation please!!!

I believe the words include the explanation...? "he is looking after working closely with drivers, organisers, FIA and these areas, and make sure that all information is where it is needed". For the WRC?

I imagine they will have an entirely separate person in charge of R5 stuff, just like Hyundai do?

Andre Oliveira
6th November 2017, 15:25
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN9EEIOX4AA6zoY?format=jpg&name=large

mknight
6th November 2017, 20:29
I was about to write that it was surprisingly small changes given the announcements, sure the front "wings' are upgraded (to similar design that Citroen and the Catalunya-updated Hyundai has). Then there is the announced air opening for more cooling which is not really that radical either..... and then I noticed the stuff on the wheelarches.

I mean the opening is normal but the extra wing on top of that..... looks like it's trying to act as a "blown" wing adding the extra air from the wheelarch to increase the speed of the air.

At this rate in 2-3 years every wrc car will have more mini-wings than F1 cars.... or the rules get changed to banish them like they did in F1.

racerx1979
6th November 2017, 20:32
These are big changes if you ask me.

Also, the rear will be updated along with a different wing.

I'm certain Toyota will be the most evolved car in 2018 in terms of updates/changes.

Mirek
6th November 2017, 21:40
I'm certain Toyota will be the most evolved car in 2018 in terms of updates/changes.

Depends on the points You compare. If start of 2017 with start of 2018 I would guess that Citroën will be the most modified car but mostly inside.

dimviii
6th November 2017, 22:50
small video with Lappi today
https://twitter.com/RallyingUK/status/927651041214193664

edit and a longer one
https://youtu.be/8n09erKskdM

EstWRC
7th November 2017, 07:01
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN-tZQ0WkAMWgsx?format=jpg&name=large

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
7th November 2017, 09:24
That bigass diveplanes..