PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull TV, where's Mike Chen?

sonnybobiche
28th July 2017, 21:57
Mike Chen seemed at the start of the year to be kind of a gem unearthed by Red Bull. Very good in front of the camera. Knows rallying very well, despite his background being in single seaters. Also, actual racer, not just a journo major in university. Raced against HAM, ROS, and the rest of them. Red Bull clearly believed in him enough to invest in him doing Rally GB last year, which they made into a really great 5 part documentary about going rallying.

Now out of nowhere he's been missing in action for the last two rallies. Ed Leigh or whatever his name is isn't doing a bad job per se, but he's clearly not super interested (yet) in rallying. Heck, I just heard him imply that Mads Ostberg is Swedish, so he must be new to all this! Again, not trying to rip the new guy, but where's the old guy? He was doing a very good job!

PS just in case Red Bull actually read this, and since this is the premier rally forum in the world, I'm pretty sure somebody who matters keeps tabs on it, no, I am not Mike Chen, nor do I know Mike Chen, nor do I even live in the same hemisphere as Mike Chen.

steve.mandzij
28th July 2017, 22:06
Mike Chen seemed at the start of the year to be kind of a gem unearthed by Red Bull. Very good in front of the camera. Knows rallying very well, despite his background being in single seaters. Also, actual racer, not just a journo major in university. Raced against HAM, ROS, and the rest of them. Red Bull clearly believed in him enough to invest in him doing Rally GB last year, which they made into a really great 5 part documentary about going rallying.

Now out of nowhere he's been missing in action for the last two rallies. Ed Leigh or whatever his name is isn't doing a bad job per se, but he's clearly not super interested (yet) in rallying. Heck, I just heard him imply that Mads Ostberg is Swedish, so he must be new to all this! Again, not trying to rip the new guy, but where's the old guy? He was doing a very good job!

PS just in case Red Bull actually read this, and since this is the premier rally forum in the world, I'm pretty sure somebody who matters keeps tabs on it, no, I am not Mike Chen, nor do I know Mike Chen, nor do I even live in the same hemisphere as Mike Chen.I can't say when he'll be back nor when this happened but as far as I know he broke his knee or something. I was really disappointed when I opened up the live stage stream in Poland and the new guy popped up :(

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Simmi
28th July 2017, 22:44
They said on Rally Radio he hurt himself during Poland and has had to skip Finland to recuperate. He was having physiotherapy today.

He seems to be a very popular guy among the drivers. I like him. Did he need his own thread? I'm not sure haha...

sonnybobiche
28th July 2017, 22:55
Silly boy. Well, good to hear that it wasn't some inexplicable decision by Red Bull to drop him.

efelceel
29th July 2017, 15:34
Ed Leigh, the new guy, said that Mike Chen will be back for Rallye Deutschland. Fun fact: the new guy used to be known as "Satan Whopper C*ck" and won UK Air Guitar Championship three times.