PDA

View Full Version : The halo enters F1 for '18

Bagwan
19th July 2017, 20:39
Calling it the "halo" makes it sound saintly , but it looks ugly as hell .

I was hoping that this idea would crumble , but it looks like it's here .
F1 cars will look like "flip flops" from now on .
Hey , now there's a marketing idea - sandals in all the team colours .

N. Jones
20th July 2017, 00:56
I can't complain as it doesn't look to bad.

Tazio
20th July 2017, 02:11
Maybe it will grow on me but right now it looks like shit. They need something like like this for Moto GP .....not!

Nem14
20th July 2017, 03:46
Supposedly F1 is the absolute technical pinnacle of motorsports, and they come up with a kludge (derogatory term - inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, ugly, or looks patched together) like that.

Zeakiwi
20th July 2017, 07:38
A starting point for the halo. I hope function is better than form. Looks like something a trainee sumo wrestler would wear.

Bagwan
20th July 2017, 11:36
A starting point for the halo. I hope function is better than form. Looks like something a trainee sumo wrestler would wear.

Oh , thanks for that .
Here I was , envisioning a shoe , and you have to go and put a sumo image in my head .

truefan72
20th July 2017, 15:01
https://www.rei.com/media/product/8129020007

The FIA Halo design process was at least a simple one

Starter
20th July 2017, 15:56
The death of open wheel, open cockpit racing. Every year I am finding more reasons to not follow open wheel racing. This is just one more small nail in the coffin. If they truly want safe racing they will have all the drivers in a room and driving by remote control - its not that far away folks.

Bagwan
20th July 2017, 17:24
So , why don't we have ABS ?
And , why don't we have traction control ?
And , airbags ?

And why aren't all the spectators wrapped in bubble wrap ?
And , why are those stands not all covered up so the destructive rays of the evil sun can't ravage those fans ?

This sport is obviously far too dangerous .
I'm moving to Switzerland .

Rollo
22nd July 2017, 01:50
So , why don't we have ABS ?

To prevent cheating.

And , why don't we have traction control ?

To prevent cheating.

And , airbags ?

Good question. There's probably a technical answer behind that. The HANS system is supposed to ameliorate that.

And why aren't all the spectators wrapped in bubble wrap ?

Crash fencing and gravel traps. Maybe you want to return to a situation that allowed this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEk85gKJN6k

And , why are those stands not all covered up so the destructive rays of the evil sun can't ravage those fans ?

Good question. How come nobody has ever thought of putting a roof on the stands?

This sport is obviously far too dangerous .
I'm moving to Switzerland .

Drivers are paid to drive motor cars. Maybe you enjoy watching drivers die at the rate of one a fortnight.

Big Ben
22nd July 2017, 10:31
It looks like crap. As for those who seem to make the case this will save lots of lives, I doubt it. I've been following f1 since 1996 and I don't recall a single case when this piece of crap would have saved anybody.

Bagwan
22nd July 2017, 11:37
To prevent cheating.

To prevent cheating.

Good question. There's probably a technical answer behind that. The HANS system is supposed to ameliorate that.

Crash fencing and gravel traps. Maybe you want to return to a situation that allowed this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEk85gKJN6k

Good question. How come nobody has ever thought of putting a roof on the stands?

Drivers are paid to drive motor cars. Maybe you enjoy watching drivers die at the rate of one a fortnight.

All those things I mentioned would make it safer .
And , all of them would mean it was less enjoyable to watch .

And , just to be clear , I don't want to see anyone die .

Zico
22nd July 2017, 13:27
Having the Halo won't bother me from tradition perspective... as long as the drivers don't find it too much of a PITA and vision affecting.
From the few comments I've heard from the drivers I get the impression the majority would rather not have it?

Bagwan
22nd July 2017, 17:09
Having the Halo won't bother me from tradition perspective... as long as the drivers don't find it too much of a PITA and vision affecting.
From the few comments I've heard from the drivers I get the impression the majority would rather not have it?

I think the effect on vision is the primary issue .
I'd rather have them with a short windscreen than any bars that would affect how much they can see .

They already have very little peripheral vision .
I think a bar along side the cockpit , instead of the solid surround would also be appropriate , so they can see better .

Indycar is doing research into the windshield idea , and seem to far better understand the parallax problem .

But , again , the rain and/or oil spray would introduce an extra surface , along with the existing visor , to keep clean .

With no disrespect intended to any we have lost , this is a solution to a rare problem , that has potential to make the sport potentially more dangerous for those participating in it .
Taking away any amount of vision from someone driving a car at extreme speeds is just not safe .

It is stupid .

And , to , rather ironically , be pushed into this reaction by , seemingly , the liability of not having been seen to do something to improve safety from frontal impact , after an incident where a driver went under a piece of track equipment that neither the halo or any windscreen could have helped him survive , is somewhere beyond that .

Oh , and Zico , what's a PITA when it's not pocket bread ?

Starter
23rd July 2017, 01:29
Oh , and Zico , what's a PITA when it's not pocket bread ?
It's where the pocket bread exits it's course.

Bagwan
23rd July 2017, 15:26
It's where the pocket bread exits it's course.

That flew right over my head .

What a pain in the a$$ .
Come on , tell me what it means .

Zico
23rd July 2017, 21:55
That flew right over my head .

What a pain in the a$$ .
Come on , tell me what it means .

The correct medical terminology for a broad range of PITA ailments may range from gluteal to rectal or anal trauma.
The term 'Ring sting' could potentially also fall into that category... although BDunnell on here would be better placed to explain it better. I think he was a doctor?

It's also a more commonly used term for 'major inconvenience'.

Regarding your reply to my earlier question... yeah, fair points well put. Would be hard to disagree even if I wanted to.

AndyL
24th July 2017, 10:04
I'm not convinced this thing has been adequately tested. Only a few drivers have tried it out, and usually for just one run in one practice session. As Zico mentioned, the reports from the drivers have been mixed. It doesn't appear that it's been tested to the extent where they can be sure it won't cause a visibility problem for some driver in some situation. (We don't know how much simulator work has been done with it, I suppose.)

It's going to be a structural part of the car, so there won't be any going back if they get a couple of races into next season and find it's a problem. The real halos won't be easily removable in the way that the mock-ups are.

Rollo
24th July 2017, 11:03
All those things I mentioned would make it safer .
And , all of them would mean it was less enjoyable to watch.

I don't think it would make any difference at all to Joe Supermarket out there in TV land.

And , just to be clear , I don't want to see anyone die .

I know. :D

Hyperbole is always the art of the incredulous in search of where the boundary lies.

Bagwan
24th July 2017, 14:28
This thing will stop 17% of flying objects hitting the driver , apparently .
Thus , we can extrapolate that these objects will still hit the driver 83% of the time .

Is that good enough , or is just good enough to say that they did something ?

Does it leave them with more than 83% of their vision ?

It doesn't seem 17% safer at all .

Bagwan
24th July 2017, 14:33
I don't think it would make any difference at all to Joe Supermarket out there in TV land.

I know. :D

Hyperbole is always the art of the incredulous in search of where the boundary lies.

I know Joe Supermarket , and when he smells blood , he's on the edge of his couch .

And , just to be clear , I knew you knew .
Hyperbole is so overrated .

Starter
24th July 2017, 19:04
This thing will stop 17% of flying objects hitting the driver , apparently .
Thus , we can extrapolate that these objects will still hit the driver 83% of the time .

Is that good enough , or is just good enough to say that they did something ?

Does it leave them with more than 83% of their vision ?

It doesn't seem 17% safer at all .
I keep telling you all. The only safe thing is no driver. Second place, put a roof on the cars and doors to get in and out. OH, wait....we already have that. It's just called something else.

The Black Knight
25th July 2017, 12:26
I disagree 100% with Halo. Drivers take their lives into their own hands and accept the potential consequences of taking part in open seater competition. This is why it is referred to as open seater. Halo is unnecessary and ugly. The cars are safe enough nowadays. We can never eliminate risk entirely.

Rollo
26th July 2017, 11:47
I know Joe Supermarket , and when he smells blood , he's on the edge of his couch .

Sounds painful.

I think that there's a topical cream for that.

Bagwan
27th July 2017, 15:33
Concerns over how long it takes to exit the car with the halo in place are apparently being addressed by extending the allowed time from 5 seconds to 8-10 seconds .

That sounds safe .

mr_swiss
27th July 2017, 19:16
Concerns over how long it takes to exit the car with the halo in place are apparently being addressed by extending the allowed time from 5 seconds to 8-10 seconds .

That sounds safe .

Great solution.

"Did you hear, the water is now safe to drink again"
"Oh really ? it's about time, so they finally fixed the problem?"
"Hell no, they decreased the safe limit"

Bagwan
27th July 2017, 20:32
So , it's supposed to stop 17% of large flying objects .

Tethers have made loosed tires a thing of the past , so , aren't most large items going to be carbon fiber ?
And so , isn't this device going to shred the piece , deflecting the portion below it into the driver ?

It's said to be able to withstand 15 times the weight of an F1 car .
Is it going to be removable for driver extraction in case of an incident ?

Will it become an aerodynamic device ?

airshifter
31st July 2017, 01:38
Not impressed. It's a measure made claiming to be for safety, and seems to be of little use.

I'm sure if the rules allow it will be turned in to an aerodynamic device, and possibly impede the drivers getting out of the car as quickly as the new relaxed rule allows.

There had to be a better solution.

I'm never opposed to safety, regardless of what the drivers get paid or their level of comfort (or lack of) in safety aspects. I just think if the sporting body wants to make changes, they should be well thought out changes that don't cause another problem.

Saruman
3rd August 2017, 15:49
I'm sure they're main consern isnt the looks of it, but the safety. So i dont complain.

N4D13
4th August 2017, 08:11
Autosport published a very good article on the halo's safety features. Here it is: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/131095/six-key-myths-about-f1-halo-device-busted

Key points:

- When looking at possible accidents (flying debris, car-to-car accidents, etc.), the outcome is overwhelmingly positive.
- Visibility does no longer seem to be a concern with drivers (other than with start lights, anyway).
- Car extraction isn't more complicated for marshals.
- If a car ends up upside down, the halo gives more space to the driver.
- If it deforms, it can be easily cut to release the driver.
- They expect designs to become more pleasant and better fitting with car liveries.

AndyL
4th August 2017, 10:15
I wonder what fancy carbon fibre step-ladder designs the factories will come up with to help the drivers get into the cars. Somehow it wouldn't be right for F1 if they stood on a milk crate.

Big Ben
4th August 2017, 10:48
I wonder what fancy carbon fibre step-ladder designs the factories will come up with to help the drivers get into the cars. Somehow it wouldn't be right for F1 if they stood on a milk crate.

The kind that generates good downforce.

Bagwan
4th August 2017, 21:52
Apparently , they will be installing rearward facing cameras to the halos , making it possible to actually see the moment the red mist clouds the driver's eyes as he's brake tested or squeezed off track .
4K high def customers will be able to count nose hairs and see the track reflected in the beads of sweat on the driver's face , further enhancing the overwhelmingly positive experience for all concerned .

Starter
5th August 2017, 01:01
Apparently , they will be installing rearward facing cameras to the halos , making it possible to actually see the moment the red mist clouds the driver's eyes as he's brake tested or squeezed off track .
4K high def customers will be able to count nose hairs and see the track reflected in the beads of sweat on the driver's face , further enhancing the overwhelmingly positive experience for all concerned .
And those are just the highlights of the experience.

Bagwan
5th August 2017, 12:23
And those are just the highlights of the experience.

Only just a few of the many resulting from the saintly halo , the device that solves all problems .

Those beads of sweat will be a great source of new revenue for the series , as each one will be counted and registered as a showing of all the ads around the track , including logos on the cars .
The FIA is hoping that a simple spritzer mechanism will suffice for drivers that don't sweat enough , but has issued a statement that it may have to resort to mandating a heater mounted rear facing on the safety device as well .

When a driver is isolated in the race , with no others around him , he can be lonely and distracted , so the FIA has deemed this the perfect teaching moment , and has arranged for a panoramic screen on the inside of the saintly halo to show movies on why the device is a good idea despite looking like a shoe .

There is to be a little slit in the saintly halo for tissues , so those who retire can wipe tears (note - only for tears , as sweat is potential income) .

Bagwan
5th August 2017, 14:28
While they work on the glue for the post-it notes to make it able to withstand the 200 mph wind speeds , the saintly halo device will be mandated to have a cork surface inside , suitable for pinning notes to remind them of procedures on the way to the grid .

The FIA is also known to be working on the "Bond-style" ejection seat idea again , which was shelved until the bubble-wrap race suit was ready .

Bagwan
5th August 2017, 14:32
Note - Tear tissues and reminder notes , whether of the "post-it" or "pinned" variety , may only be ejected within the pit lane .
Pins used in the cockpit must be fastened with twin tethers .

Bagwan
5th August 2017, 16:42
The FIA are now said to be looking at what everybody has been thinking , a retractable sun shade being incorporated into the saintly , can this thing get any better , halo device .
This obvious innovation to the already super great design will be to counter the added exposure from the new see-through helmets they will introduce next year so that we can still see a little of the top of their heads to tell what driver is in the car from his hair colour .

Note - Drivers will be restricted to just two changes of hair colour during any one year period , starting with the first television viewing .

Bagwan
5th August 2017, 16:53
Note - The FIA have issued the maximum size for fuzzy dice .
"...not to exceed 600mm x 600mm x 600mm ..." .

Also note -
"...containing FIA approved fire retardant foam ..."
"...covered in FIA approved fire retardant fur in one only colour ..." .

Note - FIA is considering change to regulations regarding fur colour , due to protests from teams that they need dots to be of a contrasting colour .

Bagwan
5th August 2017, 18:48
Because of the extra strain of keeping up with the extra workload of the proposed 34 races , and the necessity of keeping up the feel that it is glamorous to race in F1 with a good facial tan , the FIA has mandated mandatory "Manning-tm"(tanning) lights to be mounted , rear facing , into the cockpit .
Drivers will all be fitted with UV safe sunglasses , with an FIA logo that is to remain visible at all times during the grand prix weekend .

CNR
26th February 2018, 02:52
now they need small rear view camera across the top of the halo
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/11263312/sky-sports-f1-exclusive-williams-fw41-and-robert-kubica-on-track

Bagwan
17th March 2018, 12:54
Calling it the "halo" makes it sound saintly , but it looks ugly as hell .

I was hoping that this idea would crumble , but it looks like it's here .
F1 cars will look like "flip flops" from now on .
Hey , now there's a marketing idea - sandals in all the team colours .

McLaren have pulled off the ultimate sponsorship coup by bringing on board a company called Gandys , from Oz , that make flip-flop sandals .
Their logo will appear on the front of the halo , and the company has produced a Mac-orange and blue haloed edition for the F1 crowd .

This is a nice way to make a comment on this , whilst at the same time , make some good money for both Mac and Gandys .
Maybe they read my post .

When I was a kid , flip flops were also called "thongs" .
I guess , with the more modern , cheeky , swimsuit application of the word , it makes for a less savoury image for the device .
It does make me wonder where the marketting could go , though .

A FONDO
17th March 2018, 18:58
http://yoursmiles.org/ssmile/fun/s0205.gif

http://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/top-1521209188.jpg

N4D13
29th August 2018, 10:21
It looks like crap. As for those who seem to make the case this will save lots of lives, I doubt it. I've been following f1 since 1996 and I don't recall a single case when this piece of crap would have saved anybody.
Hi.

Bagwan
30th August 2018, 17:21
So , here's what Max thinks about it :
“The car never really virtually drops on top of someone else, it would always skid over the top. But because Halo was sticking out so much, of course it gets hit.
“The more you build in front of a driver, the more chance it can get hit. I think even if the Halo hadn’t been there he wouldn’t have been hit anyway so I think they made it too dramatic.”

What Max says is true , as it is out there where it can get hit .

Big Ben
31st August 2018, 08:14
Hi.

What? Is it about the life saved by the halo? :laugh:. I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been the same without it.

Bagwan
31st August 2018, 16:10
A question comes to mind after seeing the flips that Marcus did is just how much dirt this halo device is capable of digging up into the driver's face if it slides to a stop upside down .
It could make a good shovel , which would not be good for the driver in the slightest .
It could be really deadly , and a horrible mistake , if it was to happen in the gravel .

It makes me shudder to think about it .

N4D13
6th December 2018, 14:49
What? Is it about the life saved by the halo? :laugh:. I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been the same without it.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140545/halo-saved-leclerc-from-visor-strike-in-spa-crash

Hi. :)

Big Ben
7th December 2018, 14:24
I'm sure it did

Nitrodaze
9th December 2018, 09:49
So , here's what Max thinks about it :
“The car never really virtually drops on top of someone else, it would always skid over the top. But because Halo was sticking out so much, of course it gets hit.
“The more you build in front of a driver, the more chance it can get hit. I think even if the Halo hadn’t been there he wouldn’t have been hit anyway so I think they made it too dramatic.”

What Max says is true , as it is out there where it can get hit .

I think the jury is still out on the Halo. It is on the car now, so the only real question now is, is the halo potentially dangerous in certain circumstances? The Erickson accident suggest that there is room for some doubt of the claim of complete safety offered by the halo to the driver's head in the cockpit.

The Leclerc accident has happened multiple times in the past before the halo was introduced with little damage to drivers, hence it is not a compelling argument for the Halo. The only real danger that the FIA found that was a potential threat to Leclerc's safety was an endplate from Alonso's car on a trajectory to Leclerc's helmet. It was not clear how fast the endplate was travelling. Since the endplate would have dislodged at close proximity to Leclerc's cockpit area, there is also the question of how much energy was in the flying endplate. This obviously leads to the question of whether the helmet would have been able to withstand the force of the flying endplate and deflect it away. I have some doubt that the endplate would have been able to cause damage to Leclerc but l also prefer to lean in the direction of caution; better safe than sorry.

The Hulkenburg accident made it very clear that in that kind of accident, the driver would not be able to escape from the car on his own if the car were to burst into flames that engulf the cockpit area of the car.

The problem with these observations are that the same would apply for any other car mounted safety solution intended to protect the driver's head in case of an accident. So the real question therefore becomes; should the driver's head be protected or not?