PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Austrian Grands Prix

Tazio
7th July 2017, 22:39
Boss cops 5 place grid drop for changing gearbox. It could be damage limitation for him. A decent chance for rain in quali, and a remote one for the race. I was thinking Lewis should do his best time in q2 on SS, however if rain washes rubber off track the US will have a distinct advantage. If it stays dry I do like the SS, US, strategy. It could be an interesting race with Fred getting his first podium in years :eek: It could happen ;)

Tazio
8th July 2017, 12:48
Quali, Anyone watching? :wave:

Tazio
8th July 2017, 13:10
Wlliies gets punked in q1, Both Haas and McLaren go through, with Fred having to revert to the spec 2 PU.

Tazio
8th July 2017, 13:14
Wow Boss goes 104.8 on SS:eek:

Tazio
8th July 2017, 13:36
Rogro may finally be on top of his brake problems p7 after q2,. Too bad about Magnussen , suspension failure kept him from competing in q2!

Bagwan
8th July 2017, 13:59
Best moment of qually was the handshake snub afterwards .

That was an absolutely epic fail from that announcer goomer .

It's gonna be an interesting race .

truefan72
8th July 2017, 15:43

Lol. It was Valsecci. He has been pretty decent in commenting on F2 etc. but he should have known better than to try and initiate some kind of fabricated moment.
Have we seen a request ofr handshakes at any other time in the post quali interviews of recent?
yup. A fail.

Tazio
8th July 2017, 17:34

It actually made me cringe. That was a typical paparazzi moment and I glad they ignored him.

Duncan
8th July 2017, 19:12
Should be interesting tomorrow with Lewis opting for SS and everybody else up front on US. Didn't exactly seem to hurt Lewis' lap times either.

Tazio
8th July 2017, 21:37
Should be interesting tomorrow with Lewis opting for SS and everybody else up front on US. Didn't exactly seem to hurt Lewis' lap times either.Yes but pushing those tires to pass will destroy them. If he can jump a few cars at the start maybe he can conserve them to make the strategy work I hope he can, and anything can happen, but I think he will at best finish two places behind fettel, that would be major damage limitation. Boss' luck seems to be at a low ebb. I hope I'm wrong, and fortune smiles on him.

Bagwan
8th July 2017, 23:55
Yes but pushing those tires to pass will destroy them. If he can jump a few cars at the start maybe he can conserve them to make the strategy work I hope he can, and anything can happen, but I think he will at best finish two places behind fettel, that would be major damage limitation. Boss' luck seems to be at a low ebb. I hope I'm wrong, and fortune smiles on him.

Worry not ,Tazzy , my man , for there will be yellows and safety cars aplenty tomorrow , so Lulu will have lots of chances to get up front .

Duncan
9th July 2017, 01:54
Yes but pushing those tires to pass will destroy them. If he can jump a few cars at the start maybe he can conserve them to make the strategy work I hope he can, and anything can happen, but I think he will at best finish two places behind fettel, that would be major damage limitation. Boss' luck seems to be at a low ebb. I hope I'm wrong, and fortune smiles on him.

Sure, but that's not a problem unique to Lewis, and he should have much better durability than those around him. Presumably the strategy will be to stay out of trouble at turn 1, hold position as best as he can and then go much longer than everybody else on the first stint. Either way, I'm thinking it should be a really interesting race...

Tazio
9th July 2017, 12:12
Sure, but that's not a problem unique to Lewis, and he should have much better durability than those around him. Presumably the strategy will be to stay out of trouble at turn 1, hold position as best as he can and then go much longer than everybody else on the first stint. Either way, I'm thinking it should be a really interesting race...Well yeah. I was the one who suggested he do this strategy before quali in the first post of this thread. I am just looking for flaws in it :dork:
I see a high probability of it going wrong. If he can maintain his composure, and get a little luck it will work as long as the front doesn't get to far away from him, and he still has life in his SS

Tazio
9th July 2017, 12:23
Worry not ,Tazzy , my man , for there will be yellows and safety cars aplenty tomorrow , so Lulu will have lots of chances to get up front .Ocon again?

Tazio
9th July 2017, 12:34
Come on rain at about lap 35!:dork:

Bagwan
9th July 2017, 12:44
Come on rain at about lap 35!:dork:

So , you want Max to win then , do you ?
That'd be nice for the 12,000 orange fans .

steveaki13
9th July 2017, 12:46
Afternoon girlies and guys

steveaki13
9th July 2017, 12:47
Should be an interesting one this. Hammy got a massive (Austrian) hill to climb

Koz
Hey guys!

Tazio
So , you want Max to win then , do you ?
That'd be nice for the 12,000 orange fans .
Unless something unusual happens, all US runners should have pitted before than! :dozey:

Koz
9th July 2017, 12:48
I have a good Kimi feeling today!

Koz
9th July 2017, 12:50
Who crashed out?

veeten
9th July 2017, 12:54
Max, Alonso, Danil... the usual suspects. ;)

Tazio
9th July 2017, 12:56
Freakin' totally Kvyats fault!

veeten
9th July 2017, 12:57
I have a good Kimi feeling today!

... then, Rro Gro came along, and... ;) :p

truefan72
9th July 2017, 13:00
that was not a false start by Bottas.
It was the perfect start
come on folks SMH

why are they even reviewing it???

Koz
9th July 2017, 13:09
https://my.mixtape.moe/wvnoca.mp4

truefan72
9th July 2017, 13:19
i recall reading all the articles post qualy if Bottas would hold Vettel up to aide Hamilton and both he and hamilton said that wasn't even a consideration. Nobody talked about kimi holding up Hamilton, and this is clearly what Ferrari are doing. Since coming up to the back of kimi he has lost 3 seconds to bottas in 4 laps.

and now they are using him to hold up bottas.
Which is compromising kimi's race
SMH

Koz
9th July 2017, 13:24
https://media.giphy.com/media/mrFmmvlvtfv1e/giphy.gif

Bottas jumped it!

steveaki13
9th July 2017, 13:27
dull race after barmy Baku

AndyL
9th July 2017, 13:52
dull race after barmy Baku

Nice scenery though.

AndyL
9th July 2017, 14:13
Got a bit more spicy at the end there didn't it. Close between Bottas/Vettel, and Ricciardo/Hamilton. I think Stroll vs Palmer was very close for the last point too.

AndyL
9th July 2017, 14:46
https://media.giphy.com/media/mrFmmvlvtfv1e/giphy.gif

Bottas jumped it!

Has that been doctored? According to what they just showed on Sky, in the first frame where there is any movement, the lights are out.

yodasarmpit
9th July 2017, 15:12
Got a bit more spicy at the end there didn't it. Close between Bottas/Vettel, and Ricciardo/Hamilton. I think Stroll vs Palmer was very close for the last point too.

Whilst they managed to get a little close, there just didnt seem to be any chance of a overtake. I thought this was one of the dullest races for some time.

Too many tracks designed for a time when the cars were much smaller and relied on mechanical grip.

Koz
9th July 2017, 15:17
Has that been doctored? According to what they just showed on Sky, in the first frame where there is any movement, the lights are out.

This is straight off the video I posted earlier, within 0.5 seconds, of the start. The replay which they had on Sky a few minutes ago, starts paused when the light on his steering wheel is green.

If you have a video editor, download the clip and go through it frame by frame. Many subtle movement are clearly visible on it, too many to be faked.

Big Ben
9th July 2017, 16:47
That doesn't look real to me. I've seen a few replays and in all it seemed he didn't jump start. And they said Bottas reaction time was 0.201s. I didn't know though that jump starting can happen even when the driver starts after the lights go off if it happens a little too soon. It sounds like a ridiculous rule to me. They are trying to punish a driver for what they think happened in his head. If he is a little too fast than it means he was anticipating the moment the lights would go off. That's propesterous. If somehow there comes a driver that has unbelievable reaction times he will get punished for being out of the average specs. Keep it simple, Stupids.

On another note, who's the first to bitch about it? Who doesn't believe it wasn't a jump start, even after the race? My favorite spoilt brat.

BigWorm
9th July 2017, 17:15
Dull race, contrast to Austria 2016.

Where was Hulk this race? Very anonymous.

AndyL
9th July 2017, 18:43
Where was Hulk this race? Very anonymous.

I don't know if there was a problem, or if Renault just dropped the ball on strategy, but for whatever reason, he pitted early, came out right in front of the leaders, and immediately started getting blue flags. From there he couldn't make any progress.

N. Jones
9th July 2017, 20:14
Renault and STR were poor this time. I thought for sure Williams would be buink but they both drove a great race to finish in the points.

Does anyone think Perelli should have gone with Soft/Medium/Hard for this race? I haven't seen tires look that bad in a long time. They all looked like they were going to split in half!

BigWorm
9th July 2017, 20:21
Does anyone think Perelli should have gone with Soft/Medium/Hard for this race? I haven't seen tires look that bad in a long time. They all looked like they were going to split in half!

Yes, very remarkable. Drivers coped well with it though, no off-track excursions from any driver I can recall(except the havoc Kvyat caused).

Duncan
9th July 2017, 20:36
Renault and STR were poor this time. I thought for sure Williams would be buink but they both drove a great race to finish in the points.

According to the NBC Sports commentary crew early on in the race, the teams were caught out by overnight rain that de-rubbered the track and made it much higher abrasion than it had been for the rest of the weekend. It certainly did look like everybody was really struggling with wear in a really big way that we didn't see in practice.

truefan72
10th July 2017, 01:29
On another note, who's the first to bitch about it? Who doesn't believe it wasn't a jump start, even after the race? My favorite spoilt brat.

we'll wait for another one of his hollow apologies by next friday. lol

Rollo
10th July 2017, 02:06
I've seen a few replays and in all it seemed he didn't jump start. And they said Bottas reaction time was 0.201s.

Fine.

If the lights are out, then you should be able to go.

In drag racing, the timing lights are set to 0.5 of a second down the tree; it is a question of fact. Either the lights were on and he jump started or not.

Game over FIA.

Koz
10th July 2017, 06:11
That doesn't look real to me. I've seen a few replays and in all it seemed he didn't jump start. And they said Bottas reaction time was 0.201s. I didn't know though that jump starting can happen even when the driver starts after the lights go off if it happens a little too soon. It sounds like a ridiculous rule to me. They are trying to punish a driver for what they think happened in his head. If he is a little too fast than it means he was anticipating the moment the lights would go off. That's propesterous. If somehow there comes a driver that has unbelievable reaction times he will get punished for being out of the average specs. Keep it simple, Stupids. .

Apparently, no.

Quoting the driver steward Mika Salo, courtesy of google translate:

http://www.is.fi/formula1/art-2000005285099.html

It is a camera from Valtteri's car that shows that the wheels moved shortly before the lights went out, Salo said.

So the camera says one thing, the sensors another. For the sensors it was within tolerances.

Still have a sour taste in my mouth, the footage shows what it shows.

Big Ben
10th July 2017, 07:13
And here's the explanation:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130639/fia-explains-why-bottas-start-was-legal

AndyL
10th July 2017, 10:13
Whilst they managed to get a little close, there just didnt seem to be any chance of a overtake. I thought this was one of the dullest races for some time.

I would point out that Hamilton actually did pass Ricciardo in the closing laps. Not enough to make it stick, but he got his nose ahead. And we had seen some passes around the outside at the same corner earlier in the race, so I don't think it's fair to say there was no chance.

AndyL
10th July 2017, 10:16

For all the nasty appearance, the performance of the tyres seemed to hold up though. People were managing about 40 laps on the ultrasoft, and after Hamilton complained about how bad his tyres were he carried on to set fastest laps on the same set.

Mia 01
10th July 2017, 23:37
No jump, Lewis is fourth.

Tazio
11th July 2017, 01:50
Yes but pushing those tires to pass will destroy them. If he can jump a few cars at the start maybe he can conserve them to make the strategy work I hope he can, and anything can happen, but I think he will at best finish two places behind fettel, that would be major damage limitation. Yup played out about how I thought it might. Hell Boss pitted before a lot of others that started on US
Worry not ,Tazzy , my man , for there will be yellows and safety cars aplenty tomorrow , so Lulu will have lots of chances to get up front . Nope It happened about the way I envisioned it, boring and processional. good thing he got those cats off the line, or he may have finished more than two places behind Seb!

Bagwan
11th July 2017, 11:54
Yup played out about how I thought it might. Hell Boss pitted before a lot of others that started on US Nope It happened about the way I envisioned it, boring and processional. good thing he got those cats off the line, or he may have finished more than two places behind Seb!

Yeah , ok , your crystal balls were hangin' higher than mine this time .
I guess I just wanted to see those two get side by side again , maybe with a little rain added in just for a wee bit more excitement .

Tazio
11th July 2017, 13:38
Yeah , ok , your crystal balls were hangin' higher than mine this time .
I guess I just wanted to see those two get side by side again , maybe with a little rain added in just for a wee bit more excitement .I think that is what most of us wanted to see! ;)

Bagwan
11th July 2017, 17:22
I think that is what most of us wanted to see! ;)

I'll see it when I believe it , Taz .

By the way , the bass fest winner this year was 19" long , with a girth of 13" in a murky river filled with weeks of on-off rain .
Most guys caught more pike and muskie than bass .

Tazio
12th July 2017, 01:38
I'll see it when I believe it , Taz .

By the way , the bass fest winner this year was 19" long , with a girth of 13" in a murky river filled with weeks of on-off rain .
Most guys caught more pike and muskie than bass .
How's the Walleye bite? Now that is some eating fish, although nothing wrong with some bass fillet tempura! Hell it's hard to mess up fresh game fish caught from clean cool water :vampire:

Bagwan
12th July 2017, 15:07
How's the Walleye bite? Now that is some eating fish, although nothing wrong with some bass fillet tempura! Hell it's hard to mess up fresh game fish caught from clean cool water :vampire:

They are in there , but most of the fishy people are going for the rainbows , the bass , or they are hunting muskies .
I'm not on the fishing hotline to know , but I don't hear that much about walleyes , to be honest .

And , just so we stay on topic , just a little bit , that was a crappy race we had in Austria , wasn't it ?

Nitrodaze
12th July 2017, 22:31
And , just so we stay on topic , just a little bit , that was a crappy race we had in Austria , wasn't it ?

Not great but with the quickest start in F1 history, it is hard to call it crappy. Redbull have two unhappy drivers on their hands; if we don't count Kyvat. Kimi not happy with his Ferrari and also having the boss pooing on him for it. Hamilton being let down by Mercedes again sort of deprived us of a Vettel-Hamilton show down after the Baku incident.

Bottas was just magnificent this sunday. Ricciado well deserved podium. I still think the FIA are shite.

Mercedes just keep making alot of mistake on the Hamilton car, they would lose him the driver's championship at this rate, l think.

Firstgear
13th July 2017, 14:21
Nitro, I think Baggie was having a little play on words there when he said it was a Crappy race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappie

Bagwan
13th July 2017, 15:26
Nitro, I think Baggie was having a little play on words there when he said it was a Crappy race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappie

Well I was being a little playful , but I didn't see it as great .
That's for sure .

I wasn't impressed with explanations about the start .

Max went out early .

Lewis was never close to Seb .

It didn't rain .

So , no , it wasn't hard to call it crappy or crappie , for me , at least .

Nitrodaze
14th July 2017, 06:04
Max went out early .

I think Redbull is on the verge of losing both Max and Sainz. With the most open and interesting period of the drivers market about to launch in 2018 and 2019, there is going to be the most dramatic shuffle of pilots to come. I can see Mercedes and Ferrari probably having an eye on one if not both of the Redbull young guns. With the current state of the car, Redbull is fast becoming an unattractive proposition for winning the drivers World title. I can see why, there might be appeal elsewhere for the young drivers like Max and Sainz. It cut both ways, if redbull are vicious in dropping under performing drivers, they should not be surprised if their drivers head elsewhere if they [Redbull] are under performing.

The Black Knight
14th July 2017, 08:21
I quite liked the Austrian race. It was great to see such a lightning getaway from Bottas, see him takes point of the little runt that is Sebastien Vettel and Lewis minimise the points loss to him to only 6 points.

Bottas did not jump the start. Lewis Hamilton also had a 0.2 seconds reaction time in Abu Dhabi 2014, which essentially won him that years title. Drivers manage this feat every now and then.

Interesting to see how Vettel is convinced that Bottas jumped the start despite telemetry clearly showing it otherwise. It just shows how obtuse of a person he is, that even in the face of defying facts, he still stick to his story. That verifies to me that he learned nothing from the incidents in Baku and verified the FIA made a bad choice. This is all a result of him being shown extra leniency that other drivers would have never received throughout the years. On the bright side, it also means that he'll probably mess up again like he did before and the next time I don't think the FIA or the stewards will go so lenient on him.

On the other side, it's great to see the races so close still and Bottas did a great job. Hamilton had great pace throughout the race.

That aside, another test for Kubica and another step closer to a comeback we would all love to see. Ideally, I'd want him to partner Lewis in Mercedes in 2019. That would be mega awesome. I still think Lewis has another step to make as a driver before he can be regarded as one of the sports true greats and if a driver like Kubica can't make him take that step, nothing will.

British GP this weekend - can't wait.

Tazio
15th July 2017, 05:56
Ocon getting a lot of flack from mean spirited Checo fans:

SILVERSTONE (UNITED KINGDOM) (AFP) - Force India driver Esteban Ocon has blocked fans of his team-mate Sergio Perez from his Twitter account because of hostile abuse.

The two men have clashed on track in recent races, notably at the Canadian and Azerbaijan Grands Prix, but they have settled their differences amicably.
Their fans have found that more difficult, however, and Mexican Perez?s supporters have insulted Ocon and his family with such intensity that that he felt had no other option.
"I blocked them because they insulted my parents, and that is not healthy," Ocon told reporters at the British Grand Prix on Friday.
"It's just a sport. We fight hard, but we're not murderers. So people need to calm down."
The Frenchman added that he had no concerns about travelling to Mexico later this year for the Mexican Grand Prix.
"I never said anything bad about Mexico. I like the country, I had a great time there in the past and I have a good relationship with Sergio."Ocon has made some mistakes of aggression, but as a rookie he is a great talent. Good luck to them both!

The Black Knight
15th July 2017, 07:31
Ocon getting a lot of flack from mean spirited Checo fans:
Ocon has made some mistakes of aggression, but as a rookie he is a great talent. Good luck to them both!

Interesting that. I regard Canada as Perez fault. He should have moved when the team asked. Baku was just a racing incident. Main issue is that Perez is worried. I regard Perez as overrated anyway and definitely don't buy the he wasn't ready for McLaren excuse. He simply wasn't good enough.