PDA

View Full Version : Baku '17

Bagwan
24th June 2017, 14:35
As we go into Q3 , holey crap , Lance is still in it !

I thought I had better start this thread .

Tazio
24th June 2017, 14:49
Red flag at 3 minutes, and neither Williams has set a time.

Bagwan
24th June 2017, 15:06
Red flag at 3 minutes, and neither Williams has set a time.

And , our Lance out-quallies the Flipper !
Yeah , baby !

Bagwan
24th June 2017, 15:08
Anyone else notice that Vettel was in fourth and ninth on the screen graphics near the end ?

Tazio
24th June 2017, 15:10
Ferrari over a second behind The Boss. Ocon the best rookie since Max, period!

Tazio
24th June 2017, 15:11
Anyone else notice that Vettel was in fourth and ninth on the screen graphics near the end ?Yup!

Tazio
24th June 2017, 15:18
How will Ferrari contrive to get Seb ahead of Kimi tomorrow? :rolleyes:

Bagwan
24th June 2017, 15:33
How will Ferrari contrive to get Seb ahead of Kimi tomorrow? :rolleyes:

It's gonna be a hairy first lap , Taz , with those two pink cars not happy with each other , a red one knowing they would be looking for a swap , given the chance , and two silvers knowing that one following the other is crippling for the man behind .

It could be a Williams one-two , after they weave through the carbon fiber shards .

Tazio
24th June 2017, 16:04
It's gonna be a hairy first lap , Taz , with those two pink cars not happy with each other That was last race. Nice scenario but I doubt we will have carnage at the front, but a safety car could throw a spanner into the works, but I don't see Williams finishing on the podium in this universe ;)

Nitrodaze
24th June 2017, 16:53
Ferrari over a second behind The Boss. Ocon the best rookie since Max, period!

I probably would not go that far. Wehrlien is doing a fantastic job at Sauber considering how crap that car is. Given a competitive car he would be on par with the the best of them or even better.

I am happy to see Stroll get into good form. He was beginning to raise concerns before Canada. As for Vandoorne, there very little he could do with the dogged Mclaren. Some say he should be matching Alonso, or be there about. I think it does not matter while the car is so crap.

That said, Palmer with two years of F1 experience is being out shined by the fresh faced rookies. At least by Ocon, Wehrlien and Stroll who all have points on the board.

Nitrodaze
24th June 2017, 16:55
I bet €10 that Ferrari would swap Vettel and Raikonen the first chance they get. Assuming Vettel survive the Verstapenn attack on the first lap tomorrow.

Duncan
25th June 2017, 00:18
According to this:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/06/24/honda-reverts-older-spec-two-engine-alonsos-practice-failure/

McLaren are reverting to an older spec Honda engine for the race. Because of the, um, "gearbox problem" that Alonso had in practice.

Not wanting to minimize the scale of the engineering challenge in making a new-turbo-era engine work, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Koz
25th June 2017, 13:42
Hey guys!

steveaki13
25th June 2017, 13:43
Here we go guys.

Greatings to you all.:D

Hope this is better than last years race.

Tazio
25th June 2017, 13:49
Dudes! :wave:

veeten
25th June 2017, 14:05
Wow!... what a start.

Hmmm... Looks like there will be no holiday cards or invites to Christmas dinner between Bottas or Kimi, eh?... :p ;)

Tazio
25th June 2017, 14:12
Lots of carnage, Max is the latest!

Tazio
25th June 2017, 14:30
What a mess Kimi dropping parts all over the trackl :D

BigWorm
25th June 2017, 14:35
This race is mad. Massa on course for a nice result

steveaki13
25th June 2017, 14:36
Carnage is an under statement :p

Williams 3-4

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 14:38
Ocon's crazy move has cost Force India dearly. I think FI has a serious driver feud problem.

veeten
25th June 2017, 14:39
Canada foretold this... Perez & Ocon have now become the best of enemies, to the chagrin of the management of Force India. You didn't get on top of this, now it will drag the team towards the bottom.

Tazio
25th June 2017, 14:40
Fred calls for red flag and gets it!

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 14:41
Carnage is an under statement :p

Williams 3-4
Yeah great isn't it. I am sure Claire is beeming.

BigWorm
25th June 2017, 14:42
the scenes if Stroll is on the podium

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 14:43
The gloves are off between Vettel and Hamilton as Vettel angrily drives up along side Hamilton and turns into him.

veeten
25th June 2017, 14:44
Man, this track is making friends of drivers everywhere... :p

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 14:45
Canada foretold this... Perez & Ocon have now become the best of enemies, to the chagrin of the management of Force India. You didn't get on top of this, now it will drag the team towards the bottom.

Yeah the FI management have lost the plot on this one. They should be respecting their more experienced driver l think.

longisland
25th June 2017, 14:47
Wow! Vettel literally took a swipe against Hamilton

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 14:51

Yeah the FI management have lost the plot on this one. They should be respecting their more experienced driver l think.

steveaki13
25th June 2017, 14:53
Haha... great crazy stuff.

I called a red flag about 6 seconds before Fred. Saves lots of wasted laps.

In before Bottas or a Williams wins.

Force India incident was Ocon's fault. He passed Perez fairly and then squeezed him into the wall. Perez had no where to go.

As for Ham v Seb. Hamilton had the right to be slowing down to let the SC escape, but he was very slow. Then Seb was silly to risk his car as a barging tool. :D

Crackers race. (Love it)

Warriwa
25th June 2017, 14:53
I remember when Sebastian rear ended Webber behind the safety car and they both had to retire. 2007Japan. They were 2nd and 3rd. This race is crazy.

The Black Knight
25th June 2017, 14:55
Vettel used his car as a weapon against Lewis. It's about time that little cunt was taught a lesson now. Only one thing for it, black flag and a ban for the remainder of the season for Vettel. You cannot ever smash your car in to another opponent under any condition. Between this and all he did last year he deserves serious punishment.

longisland
25th June 2017, 14:59
Ocon is living up to Bernies mantra. Don't get mad, just get even. But it's a silly move.

Warriwa
25th June 2017, 15:02
Will that be a drive through for Vettel? Remember a similar incident when Maldonado gave Hamilton a nudge after the race? Did he recieve a fine or grid penalty?

truefan72
25th June 2017, 15:02
Vettel used his car as a weapon against Lewis. It's about time that little cunt was thought a lesson now. Only one thing for it, black flag and a ban for the remainder of the season for Vettel. You cannot ever smash your car in to another opponent under any condition. Between this and all he did last year he deserves serious punishment.

a season ban is a bit harsh but a black flag for the race would not be ridiculous. Hamilton had the right to do what he did behind the safety car and vettel simply ran into him. perez did into run into vettel and there were no other issues. Vettel was simply not paying attention or allowing enough space behind hamilton to avoid this. and lets not forget that vettel was the king of shenanigans behind the safety car when he was leafing the pack all these years. talso the safety car light was out and thus the leader has the right to determine the pack. Then to compound his error he deliberately slams into hamilton. that is a straight black flag for me along with a 10 place grid penalty for the next race. or even a black flag for the next race too. anything less would be cowardly from the stewards.

veeten
25th June 2017, 15:06
Great pass by Riccy!

veeten
25th June 2017, 15:09
Wow!! now the racin' is gettin' HOT! :hot:

truefan72
25th June 2017, 15:16
stewarts are too quiet on the vettel incident.

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 15:19
Mercedes messup and may have loss the race.

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 15:20
Would it not be awesome if Lance Stroll wins this race.

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 15:23
Mercedes has F**ked up

veeten
25th June 2017, 15:25
Possible podium for... Haas! :D:bounce:

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 15:28
My money is on Ocon to win the race

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 15:32
Bottas just cannot take the fight to Ocon.

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 15:34
Bottas gets the job done. It is looking like a Bottas win on the cards

steveaki13
25th June 2017, 15:38
cruel loss of a race for Hamilton via a head rest.

Come on Lance

truefan72
25th June 2017, 15:38
im disgusted at the stewards

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 15:40
Ricciado may have this one in the bag, Bottas running out of time.

veeten
25th June 2017, 15:48
Interesting weekend for 'Women in charge',... One will be sippin' champagne, while the other will be packing up her bags.

steveaki13
25th June 2017, 15:56
Feck.

Mercedes powered Mercedes are still slightly more awesome than a Williams Mercedes.

Crazy race. Well done to the top 3.

steveaki13
25th June 2017, 15:57
im disgusted at the stewards

I would enjoy a good race instead.

veeten
25th June 2017, 15:59
Last second (and do we mean 'second') pass by Bottas takes second from Strol. Live and learn son, live and learn.

steveaki13
25th June 2017, 16:00
Another example though of why lapped cars should drop to the back of the SC snake. Not unlap themselves. I know it wasnt his fault but he lost a lap.

Artificial means gave him a podium and cost Stroll. Bad luck but great drive.

truefan72
25th June 2017, 16:02
Mercedes messup and may have loss the race.

agreed. at the end of the day the pit crew cost him the race. what a ridiculous oversight
he would have won it and taken over the championship lead too. but Vettel should have they should have also stayed out a bit longer to see if the problem could be fixed or at the very least after the vettel penalty so that vettel does not get a chance to put 2/3 laps in clean air. another oversight. But Vettel should have been black flagged for his actions plain and simple.

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 16:04
What a bizzare race? Ferrari would be kicking themselves as they have lost out in constructors points to Mercedes. Hamilton would certainly not be very impressed as the team has effectively done a Monaco to him again.

Nitrodaze
25th June 2017, 16:06
agreed. at the end of the day the pit cre cost him the race. he would have won it and taken over the championship lead too. but Vettel should have been black flagged for his actions plain and simple.

I have to say, this is the second time that Vettel has behaved in a very unsportmanslike behaviour and got away with it. The stewards were crap this weekend.

Remember him insulting Charlie Whiting a while back.

longisland
25th June 2017, 16:07
Driver of the day - Bottas
Pass of the day - Ricciardo
Donkey of the day - Renault drivers
Highlight of the day - Seb taking a swipe at Lewis

Bagwan
25th June 2017, 16:08
Yeah , baby , first podium for a Canuck in a while !
Sensible race driving in a nonsensical race .

Silver , pink , and red cars all had issues , like I predicted , but it didn't all happen on the first lap as I thought it would .

Nice chase-down at the end , fitting for such a crazy outing .

truefan72
25th June 2017, 16:08
I also love how ocon saved all his fighting spirit for hamilton but let vettel breeze bye

truefan72
25th June 2017, 16:09
I have to say, this is the second time that Vettel has behaved in a very unsportmanslike behaviour and got away with it. The stewards were crap this weekend.

Remember him insulting Charlie Whiting a while back.

yup

Tazio
25th June 2017, 16:13
It's gonna be a hairy first lap , Taz , with those two pink cars not happy with each other , a red one knowing they would be looking for a swap , given the chance , and two silvers knowing that one following the other is crippling for the man behind .

It could be a Williams one-two , after they weave through the carbon fiber shards .
Not too far from wrong Baggy, except the better part of the race was pretty hairy. but you called it

I don't see Williams finishing on the podium in this universe
Congrats to your boy Lance he was very opportunistic, although this race seemed to be out of this universe;)

The Black Knight
25th June 2017, 16:15
a season ban is a bit harsh but a black flag for the race would not be ridiculous. Hamilton had the right to do what he did behind the safety car and vettel simply ran into him. perez did into run into vettel and there were no other issues. Vettel was simply not paying attention or allowing enough space behind hamilton to avoid this. and lets not forget that vettel was the king of shenanigans behind the safety car when he was leafing the pack all these years. talso the safety car light was out and thus the leader has the right to determine the pack. Then to compound his error he deliberately slams into hamilton. that is a straight black flag for me along with a 10 place grid penalty for the next race. or even a black flag for the next race too. anything less would be cowardly from the stewards.

I would hope that further action is taken against him, after the race. I disagree that a season ban is out of order. As a F1 driver your super license is given to you in faith that you are skilled mentally to take the heat. You cannot under any circumstance use your car as a weapon. He is a spoiled little kid that needs a good lesson. For years he has been given liberties that no other driver had and keeps getting away with things no other driver would time after time. This is the result along with the likes of Mexico last year. He needs to be banned for the season and until such time as he apologised to Hamilton and the fans for his behaviour. That will bring him down to size.

[Edited by a Moderator]

truefan72
25th June 2017, 16:15
the fairy tale turnaround for Stroll continues. a good result for him and williams. sad for Massa though and it could have been a 2/3 for them as well

truefan72
25th June 2017, 16:25
I'd stay away from such language.

that being said. there were 2 penalties to be honest.
1. driving into the back of lewis, because the SC was pulling in and Hamilton had the right to determine the pack for the restart. 2. he deliberately hits another car, the leading car at that.

and all he gets is 10 second stop and go?
Kvyatt got worse in the last race for nothing

I'm done with the guest stewards system. i want 1 group consistent for all races and better clarification as to the proper penalty for hitting another car deliberately. What if he broke his suspensions and had to retire? SMH.

The Black Knight
25th June 2017, 16:38
1. driving into the back of lewis, because the SC was pulling in and Hamilton had the right to determine the pack for the restart. 2. he deliberately hits another car, the leading car at that.

And that just shows the shambles of the F1 disciplinary system and how inconsistent it is. Unfortunately I don't believe the penalty can be appealed but I don't see any reason why he can't get further punishment for behaviour not befitting a F1 driver. He's a deluded little bollox as well, in his interview afterwards he says Hamilton brake tested him but he didn't. It's up to vettel to judge and read the situation correctly. Fair enough the first bit of contact - it was a mistake on Vettel'a behalf, the issue is the second one. Ban for the rest of the season is what should happen.

And who is to say that Hamilton's head rest wasn't broken because of what Vettel did but the problem didn't show until after the restart.

truefan72
25th June 2017, 16:52
And that just shows the shambles of the F1 disciplinary system and how inconsistent it is. Unfortunately I don't believe the penalty can be appealed but I don't see any reason why he can't get further punishment for behaviour not befitting a F1 driver. He's a deluded little bollox as well, in his interview afterwards he says Hamilton brake tested him but he didn't. It's up to vettel to judge and read the situation correctly. Fair enough the first bit of contact - it was a mistake on Vettel'a behalf, the issue is the second one. Ban for the rest of the season is what should happen.

And who is to say that Hamilton's head rest wasn't broken because of what Vettel did but the problem didn't show until after the restart.

yup. that could have been the case with the headrest. because it was a significant hit and not something light.
It was a bad day for mercedes and the stewards.
also to be honest ,bottas should have gotten a penalty for his first lap contact too

The Black Knight
25th June 2017, 17:11
yup. that could have been the case with the headrest. because it was a significant hit and not something light.
It was a bad day for mercedes and the stewards.
also to be honest ,bottas should have gotten a penalty for his first lap contact too

This is a bad day for F1 to be honest. Not alone do they show that drivers can get away with cheating once again but that dangerous driver behaviour is okay. Vettel also gets 3 penalty points which, unless he does something similar in Austria and gets another 3 points, means nothing as he now has 9 on his license. 12 = 1 race ban.

I disagree with the Bottas incident. I don't think he could have done anything else. Running over the kerb meant he was launched into Kimi. Racing first lap incident and I think the Stewards did the right thing there.

Bagwan
25th June 2017, 17:45
Not too far from wrong Baggy, except the better part of the race was pretty hairy. but you called it

Congrats to your boy Lance he was very opportunistic, although this race seemed to be out of this universe;)

Thanks , Taz .

I was on the edge of my seat for the whole thing , wondering if he could take the heat .
Whereas the rest of them struggle to find the feel , it looks like he's just finding out what a good set-up feels like .

I see good things coming for the lad , and it's nice to be considering buying a new hat some time soon .

Mia 01
25th June 2017, 18:20
bottas destroyed Kimis race once Moore, I´m gutted!

The Black Knight
25th June 2017, 19:31
I fail to see how Vettel's driving into Hamilton is any better than Jerez 97, it's worse if anything. Schumacher was disqualified from the championship back then and likewise Vettel should be disqualified from the championship this year.

Duncan
25th June 2017, 22:08
Well that certainly wasn't boring...

Plenty to talk about. As many have suggested, I think Vettel got of very lightly; the tap from behind was pretty inconsequential (but clearly on him) but that swerve banging wheels was outrageous. I really can't see how that's not a DSQ, or at this point a suspension from the next race. Vettel's post race reaction clearly indicates that the message has not been received.

Duncan
25th June 2017, 22:11
Oh, and Bottas should have been penalized for the first lap incident with Kimi. Regular stuff that happens in close racing, but clearly on Bottas, and pretty much wrecked Kimi's race.

Edit: ok, having gone and looked at the replay again I'm not so sure now. It looks like Kimi squeezed Valtteri pretty aggressively at the apex, forcing him to run over the kerbs on the inside. That contributed to him taking the exit wide and pushing Kimi into the wall.

Nem14
25th June 2017, 22:26
The officiating in F1 has been a joke since the 1980s and the reign of FISA president Jean-Marie Balestre.

Rollo
25th June 2017, 23:37
I fail to see how Vettel's driving into Hamilton is any better than Jerez 97, it's worse if anything. Schumacher was disqualified from the championship back then and likewise Vettel should be disqualified from the championship this year.

I wouldn't disqualify Vettel from the championship. I'd just revoke his licence for 2 calendar years. He can keep all his championship points all he likes; they wouldn't really matter.

Of course that would effectively ruin his 2017, 2018 and 2019 championship hopes... too bad.

truefan72
26th June 2017, 04:01
Sorry for typos

Nitrodaze
26th June 2017, 04:41

I'm done with the guest stewards system. i want 1 group consistent for all races and better clarification as to the proper penalty for hitting another car deliberately. What if he broke his suspensions and had to retire? SMH.

Exactly, the inconsistency of the penalty is staggering. When you look at it from the Kyvat penalty which was quite bizzare in its self, it begins to look prejudicial in the face of Vettel's penalty. There is still a real problem with inconsistency and favoritism in the deliberation of the stewards this season. I wonder who the stewards were for the Baku race, they should be avoided in the future, in my opinion, they were scrap and lack any sense of fair play.

Nitrodaze
26th June 2017, 04:52
This race was brilliant and incredibly bizzare. We got to see some of the worst conducts of F1 drivers and how they have penalized their teams with a loss of constructors points by their conduct.

1. Vettel should have won that race if he had kept his head, but didn't and cost Ferrari some quite achievable constructors point by his red mist moment.

2. Ocon effectively smoked a chunk of Force India's very strong potential points haul by a wreckless maneuver that ended Perez's race and drop himself a couple of places.

It was a race to forget for Kimi who seemed to be a magnet for other drivers misjudgement. Magnussen came good for Haas, while Grojeans moaned and cursed his brakes throughout the race, Kmag propelled the Haas to a potential podium at one point during the race. It was a very strong showing.

Lance Stroll has suddenly become the golden boy of the moment, as he picked up his first F1 podium. Like stealing a lollie from a child, Bottas pounced at the dying minute to steal 2nd from a brilliant Stroll

pino
26th June 2017, 06:05
I would hope that further action is taken against him, after the race. I disagree that a season ban is out of order. As a F1 driver your super license is given to you in faith that you are skilled mentally to take the heat. You cannot under any circumstance use your car as a weapon. He is a spoiled little kid that needs a good lesson. For years he has been given liberties that no other driver had and keeps getting away with things no other driver would time after time. This is the result along with the likes of Mexico last year. He needs to be banned for the season and until such time as he apologised to Hamilton and the fans for his behaviour. That will bring him down to size.

[Edited by a Moderator]

There's no need for such a language. And this, isn't the first time you do it. So please, try to be more nice, and think before posting...

Big Ben
26th June 2017, 07:30
I think Vettel's penalty was a joke. Purposely driving in another driver should be more severely punished. Black flag and a race ban wouldn't be too much, but a ban for the rest of the season maybe a bit harsh at this point. Another one like this and yes, I'd agree with it. And some mandatory psychological therapy should be in order. His hysterical behavior seems to be getting out of control. They guy seems to be having some big anger issues. And just to be clear, I very much dislike both Hamilton and Vettel, so I think I'm quite objective here :laugh:

greencroft
26th June 2017, 08:40
Can the sanction against Vettel be increased restrospectively by the FIA?

That was such a bad move on Hamilton - school playground stuff - bit of an insult to schoolchildren!

henners88
26th June 2017, 12:42
Pretty much cut and dry with Vettel and Hamilton. Seb was very lucky not to be black flagged for his behaviour. I would imagine Ferrari will be talking to him now it's been confirmed he wasn't brake checked and it seems he got a bit excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rollo
26th June 2017, 13:37
Vettel is mostly unrepentant. Hamilton is smug. Grosjean stonewalls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8SZeMxWTm4

truefan72
26th June 2017, 14:24
Pretty much cut and dry with Vettel and Hamilton. Seb was very lucky not to be black flagged for his behaviour. I would imagine Ferrari will be talking to him now it's been confirmed he wasn't brake checked and it seems he got a bit excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-1/fia-data-rules-out-hamilton-brake-test_sto6230877/story.shtml

yup. I wonder what Vettel has to say now.
But to me the bigger issue is that they determined this during the race before assessing a ridiculous 10 second penalty.
So why was there not a penalty assessed for running into the back of Hamilton as well, and why so lenient on the 2nd action.
Also folks are saying that the bump was slightly more jarring than reported and it probably contributed to the head support latch becoming loose as well.
That is a triple whammy for Hamilton all caused because petulant Vettel was not paying attention.
given this information, it would not be unreasonable to request and expect the FIA to further sanction him for the next race. Or even make him sit out the next race.

I was also not encouraged by Toto Wolff's comments to sky after the race where he tried to downplay the situation and effectively take the stance of "moving on"
This is absurd and cowardly IMO. fight for your drivers, raise a storm, make a stink and force the FIA to take action. That is what a good team director does. Not sit there and make pseudo excuses for your championship rival who effectively cost you victory and tried to take out your own bloody driver. wtf is that?
Mercedes win because of great drivers and a solid car, in spite of inept race management, and feckless team principals over the years.

And while we are at it, he might want to talk to his junior driver Ocon and ask him why he pretty much let Vettel breeze bye but decided to fight Hamilton tooth and nail in such a manner. I wouldn't raise a stink about it if he had shown the same zeal when Vettel approached him, but the fact is he offered no resistance to the ferrari but then went out of his way to try and keep hamilton behind him.

truefan72
26th June 2017, 14:28
Vettel is mostly unrepentant. Hamilton is smug. Grosjean stonewalls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8SZeMxWTm4

explain to me what is smug about taking the high road. In his post race interviews i found his responses to be way more diplomatic, respectful and graceful than anyone should have been after such an incident. Smug??? I would reserve that description for Vettel. Perhaps you need to understand what that means instead of finding some kind of way to rope hamilton into vettel's madness.

Definition of smug:
having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.
"he was feeling smug after his win"
synonyms: self-satisfied, self-congratulatory, complacent, superior, pleased with oneself, conceited

It is getting really tiresome on these forums to read folks descriptions of hamilton that are based on their own bias than anything in reality.
oh well

The Black Knight
26th June 2017, 14:41
explain to me what is smug about taking the high road. In his post race interviews i found his responses to be way more diplomatic, respectful and graceful than anyone should have been after such an incident. Smug??? I would reserve that description for Vettel. Perhaps you need to understand what that means instead if finding some kind of way to rope hamilton into vettel's madness.

Definition of smug:
having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.
synonyms: self-satisfied, self-congratulatory, complacent, superior, pleased with oneself, conceited

It is getting really tiresome on these forums to read folks descriptions of hamilton that are based on their own bias than anything in reality.
oh well

Given that Rollo is actually an intelligent poster I can only imagine that he was looking to rise someone like you into an argument. There was nothing smug about Hamilton's post race interviews. I found them remarkably restrained. Anyone that thinks Hamilton was smug clearly doesn't have all their screws tightened.

truefan72
26th June 2017, 14:53
Given that Rollo is actually an intelligent poster I can only imagine that he was looking to rise someone like you into an argument. There was nothing smug about Hamilton's post race interviews. I found them remarkably restrained. Anyone that thinks Hamilton was smug clearly doesn't have all their screws tightened.

lol, i fell for it then.
Thanks Black Knight. "Restrained" was the word i was looking for to describe Hamilton's post race comments, but early in the morning couldn't get my brain together.

Bagwan
26th June 2017, 15:58
Just to drop in a little of the other side , Vettel was angry , and suffered a "red mist" moment as a result of Hamilton slowing suddenly .
Which he did , from in the 80s , down to 54kph at the exit of the corner .
It certainly right to say Vettel was caught out by this , and that it was wholly his fault , but do recognize that at that moment he took it , rightly or wrongly , as a brake-check .

Seb was clearly too close when Lewis dropped almost 30kph in short order , but Lewis does have mirrors , and they would have been very red as the corner began .

What happened thereafter was a sight that had me remembering the words of Michael , who said it was "deliberate , but instinctual" .
That's what it looked like to me .

He was so angry at what he perceived to be Hamilton ruining his race with a cheap shot , he snapped , and knocked into the side of him .
It was not pretty , but it wasn't life threatening at low speed .

Now , let me say , at this point , that this was really only to add a little different perspective to this discussion .
I do think that Seb should have been forced to sit out for a race over this .
You should simply not do this kind of action at all .

And , I do think that Lewis was right with all he said , however , he should certainly recognize that he did play a role in the controversy .
It may not have been a brake check , however , with Vettel so close , he should also see the trouble as having been avoidable at the same time .

Mia 01
26th June 2017, 16:13
The fault between the two was clearly not onesided!

Storm
26th June 2017, 17:52
.... he wasn't brake checked and it seems he got a bit excited.

whatever the case finally F1 has some excitement after the Merc domination and the boring Hamilton-Rosberg "rivalry"

Zico
26th June 2017, 19:34

What did Hamilton do wrong exactly?

The stewards checked the telemetry and said he did not brake check.
I reckon Seb probably had his eyes on the wheel display or just wasn't paying full attention and got caught out by Lewis's slow exit from the corner.
Schoolboy error... and then petulance you would expect from a badly behaved nursery child.

I was very surprised by his very lenient punishment. I'd black flag ANY driver who did something like that intentionally if I was a race steward... even Fernando!

Duncan
26th June 2017, 20:34
One thing that occurred to me afterwards is that earlier in the race, after a previous SC restart, there was a radio conversation between Bonno and Lewis to the effect of "be careful - you were a little too close to the safety car on that restart" and Lewis shrugging it off.

It does seem to be an issue with the long front straight that the leader needs to leave a *huge* gap to the SC before getting to that final turn, where they're going to need to come out of that corner at racing speed but need to not catch up the SC before it peels into the pits.

So I was wondering: was there a reminder over the radio to Hamilton to be sure to leave a big gap right before that incident?

Mia 01
27th June 2017, 06:45
What did Hamilton do wrong exactly?

The stewards checked the telemetry and said he did not brake check.
I reckon Seb probably had his eyes on the wheel display or just wasn't paying full attention and got caught out by Lewis's slow exit from the corner.
Schoolboy error... and then petulance you would expect from a badly behaved nursery child.

I was very surprised by his very lenient punishment. I'd black flag ANY driver who did something like that intentionally if I was a race steward... even Fernando!

from 95 kph to 48 in less than 3 seconds?

Zico
27th June 2017, 11:11
from 95 kph to 48 in less than 3 seconds?

Yes, that's around 27mph over nearly 3 whole seconds, that's nothing!... and certainly not indicative of a brake test if you are suggesting the Marshall's are lying?

This is F1 and Seb is a top racing driver with reactions that could slow the car many many thousand times faster than that. He was driving with undue care and attention for how close he was to Lewis.
I think your dislike for Lewis is colouring your judgement here.

Nitrodaze
27th June 2017, 17:06
Can the sanction against Vettel be increased restrospectively by the FIA?

That was such a bad move on Hamilton - school playground stuff - bit of an insult to schoolchildren!

They did for Kyvat at the Canadian GP, l see no reason why they could not do the same for Vettel.

Nitrodaze
27th June 2017, 17:07

Wow, l wonder what race you were watching.

steveaki13
27th June 2017, 17:57
I think it was pretty poor from Seb but calling for championship bans is too far.

One race at most. I think that would be about right.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Zico
27th June 2017, 18:20
I think it was pretty poor from Seb but calling for championship bans is too far.

One race at most. I think that would be about right.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Suggesting a season ban is a bit ridiculous. It was pathetic but he didn't do any real damage (as far as we know).. I was thinking just a black flag and 6 penalty points would be enough and send a strong message without being too heavy handed.
We really just need consistent race stewarding.

pino
27th June 2017, 18:41
A black flag for the race, that's all he deserved !

truefan72
27th June 2017, 22:24
A black flag for the race, that's all he deserved !

well it seems the FIA think further action might be warranted.
Just announced by Auto-Motor-und-Sport that Jean Todt and the FIA are investigating the incident with Vettel potentially being summoned to Paris sometime this week.
Vettel was previously warned about actions that might bring the sport into disrepute after Mexico and was let off with a warning not to repeat such behavior lest he incur real sanctions. Well now it seems that this incident was deemed a breaking that mandate they leveled on him.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/fia-untersucht-vettel-foul-gp-aserbaidschan-2017-3426455.html

Duncan
27th June 2017, 23:34
I think a one race suspension would certainly be justified. I don't think Seb helped his case at all by being defiant about the whole thing afterwards. Some contrition would definitely have helped calm the situation.

Duncan
27th June 2017, 23:39
One thing that occurred to me afterwards is that earlier in the race, after a previous SC restart, there was a radio conversation between Bonno and Lewis to the effect of "be careful - you were a little too close to the safety car on that restart" and Lewis shrugging it off.

It does seem to be an issue with the long front straight that the leader needs to leave a *huge* gap to the SC before getting to that final turn, where they're going to need to come out of that corner at racing speed but need to not catch up the SC before it peels into the pits.

So I was wondering: was there a reminder over the radio to Hamilton to be sure to leave a big gap right before that incident?

Quoting myself, I know, but this is describing what I was getting at earlier: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/06/27/why-hamilton-had-to-slow-the-field-more-during-that-controversial-restart/