MotorLover
1st June 2017, 12:22
Video with interesting data for the next Canadian GP
https://youtu.be/hEWU6hFL0Hw

Nitrodaze
3rd June 2017, 12:32
Video with interesting data for the next Canadian GP
https://youtu.be/hEWU6hFL0Hw

Very cool. It would be a cracker at Canada. We would see how close the Mercedes is to the Ferrari or vice versa. Whatever the case, it is a must win race for Mercedes and Hamilton in particular. A win by Vettel may well put the drivers championship out of Hamilton's grasps. From there on, it would be for Ferrari and Vettel to lose.
But if Hamilton can win the next three races; which l think is an uphill battle, he would be back in contention with Vettel and that may take the title fight to the wire.

Hawkmoon
5th June 2017, 07:57
This one will be about tyres. If Mercedes have indeed solved their problems they'll win. If not it will be Ferrari's day. Montreal has always been pretty tough on tyres so Mercedes will need to both switch them on and get them to last.

I'll be a little disappointed if Ferrari don't win this one, assuming it's a clean race which isn't always the case here.

Anybody taking bets on who'll be the first driver to chuck it into the Wall of Champions?

N. Jones
8th June 2017, 20:26
Merc 1-2? I think they are the fastest and Lewis won his first race here (correct?).
I think at least four teams will see one driver suffer a brake failure.
McLaren is just a failure so they don't count.
It's been a while since anyone hit the wall of Champions.... was Hulkenburg the last?

AndyL
10th June 2017, 12:46

Yes, not likely they'll get far enough to wear their brakes out!

Tazio
10th June 2017, 17:50
Qualy dawgz, I hope Merc has something for "The Scuds"

Tazio
10th June 2017, 18:09
Dude, Felipe really putting Lance in the shade!

Tazio
10th June 2017, 18:48
Boss baby, well done!

Bagwan
10th June 2017, 19:33
Dude, Felipe really putting Lance in the shade!

Yeah , Tazzy , he sure looks shaky , and really sounded bummed in the press scrum .

But , I still have a little faith in the lad , and think he's gonna get his first points tomorrow .

Bagwan
10th June 2017, 19:42
Boss baby, well done!

Nice , indeed .
Fastest lap ever at the track , and one that equals the record of his hero .
So , then , to have him receive Senna's helmet , at the Senna corner , at the same track where Lewis had gotten his first pole position , is just , well , almost unbelievable .

That was one of the coolest things I've seen happen in the sport .

Tazio
11th June 2017, 04:07
Yeah , Tazzy , he sure looks shaky , and really sounded bummed in the press scrum .

But , I still have a little faith in the lad , and think he's gonna get his first points tomorrow .
I will be a little surprised, not a lot surprised. I know he has his homeboyz there, but according to my information this is his first time he's driven this course, and starting p17 is a big ask. However it would go a long way to get him on track in an otherwise disappointing season. I mean like dude when did Felipe baby dominate a teammate like this.

Tazio
11th June 2017, 04:18
is just , well , almost unbelievable .It's the stuff that dreams are made of!

It makes me think how cool it would be if Mike was participating in the festivities at whatever level of involvement he would chose.

Bagwan
11th June 2017, 11:38
It's the stuff that dreams are made of!

It makes me think how cool it would be if Mike was participating in the festivities at whatever level of involvement he would chose.

Too true , Taz .
Lewis is only a few away from Michael's record , and driving for his last team .
To have the German ace participate in any way would be a dream in itself for his fans .

Bagwan
11th June 2017, 11:51
[/B]
I will be a little surprised, not a lot surprised. I know he has his homeboyz there, but according to my information this is his first time he's driven this course, and starting p17 is a big ask. However it would go a long way to get him on track in an otherwise disappointing season. I mean like dude when did Felipe baby dominate a teammate like this.

Yeah , Flip's looking pretty comfy in his seat right now , playing the mentor role .

17th ain't great , but the way it looks to me , you'll likely have a Haas , Sauber , and Torro Rosso slapping walls at some point , so there will be some opportunity to move up .

gm99
11th June 2017, 13:35
I wonder if the money Lance Stroll is bringing to Williams is enough to offset their loss of income by finishing sixth in the constructors championship rather than fifth or even fourth where they would belong if they hadn't turned into a one-car-team.

Bagwan
11th June 2017, 18:16
I wonder if the money Lance Stroll is bringing to Williams is enough to offset their loss of income by finishing sixth in the constructors championship rather than fifth or even fourth where they would belong if they hadn't turned into a one-car-team.

There are a lot of people saying he should be given some time ; that he's really up against it as a new guy to these machines .
Claire Williams is at the front of that line , defending him , so they seem to still have some faith .

He says he's not affected by the "haters" , but he's only 18 .
He'll learn .
And , his first point(s) is(are) going to make a big difference in his confidence , and if he can stay clean through this one to score it(them) , it will be an extra good boost .

Maybe it's just wishful thinking , because it's been a while since I've had a Canuck for whom to root , but I have a feeling it's going to smooth out for our Lance , and soon ...........This race , in fact .

I am a Leaf fan , though , and we haven't had a cup since the advent of colour television , so take my judgement as such .

Tazio
11th June 2017, 18:47
Go time dawgz!

Tazio
11th June 2017, 18:50
Yeah babe!

Tazio
11th June 2017, 18:54
Oh man Felipe is pissed off

Tazio
11th June 2017, 18:58
Dude, Verttel and Kimi got swamped

Tazio
11th June 2017, 18:59
Vettel in a heap 'o trouble

Tazio
11th June 2017, 19:08
Ba-bye Max

BigWorm
11th June 2017, 20:17
Vittu!!

truefan72
11th June 2017, 20:21
perez is my dog of the race
he has cost his team a podium and also allowed vettel to get bye and a possible podium.
Absolute nonsense from perez

Bagwan
11th June 2017, 20:28
Our boy Lance just scored 2 points , the first 2 points in F1 scored by a Canadian not called Villeneuve .

The bagwan's crystal ball is back in business , baby .

AndyL
11th June 2017, 20:30
he has cost his team a podium and also allowed vettel to get bye and a possible podium.

"F1 isn't a team sport."

AndyL
11th June 2017, 20:33
Alonso 2 laps from scoring points and his Honda blows up. It's like he's cursed.

BigWorm
11th June 2017, 20:36

Yeah, very egoistic and it did not do them well. Ocon was clearly faster and should have been fighting Ricciardo. Instead they both lost a position each.

truefan72
11th June 2017, 20:37
"F1 isn't a team sport."
I absolutely agree.
but in this case, the position would have been given back if Ocon couldn't pass Ricciardo.
so that was fair enough. But perez had other ideas including shutting the door on his teammate which compromised Ocon allowed vettel to get bye then showed none of that fight in holding vettel back.
It was a shambolic and selfish performance that will earn him no favors within the team.
Force india had a legitimate shot at the podium and it was wasted by perez who showed at no point that he was going to pass ricciardo
And i bet you if the situation was reversed, perez would have been all over the radio crying, begging and pleading to be let past
oh well

AndyL
11th June 2017, 20:56
So you wouldn't say team orders are useless and unnecessary?

truefan72
11th June 2017, 21:03
So you wouldn't say team orders are useless and unnecessary?

are you just here to argue?
SMH

one of the reasons I've dialed back from interaction on this forum.

gm99
11th June 2017, 22:19
Our boy Lance just scored 2 points , the first 2 points in F1 scored by a Canadian not called Villeneuve .

The bagwan's crystal ball is back in business , baby .

Well, I have to give Lance credit for keeping it together today (although without the retirements, he still would have finished in 13th or 14th place in what is at least the fifth best car on the grid). Some good, clean racing too.

If points had always been awarded down to P10, as they are now, several other Canadians would have scored points in the past - Peter Ryan, George Eaton, Peter Broeker.

steveaki13
11th June 2017, 23:06
I think Perez should have moved over. There again I have always thought team orders are part of the sport. No issue with teams swapping orders if everyone agrees. Also no issue if a driver chooses to ignore said orders.

A FONDO
11th June 2017, 23:10
Hats down to Sergio, never move over!

Duncan
12th June 2017, 01:21
Interesting race.

Hamilton made up a lot of points today. Not so often that the leader is so unchallenged that they barely bother to show him on the TV feed.

Lots of good scrapping at multiple different points up and down the order. Good showing from Stroll, although admittedly setting the bar pretty low given the class of car he has to work with.

Sainz' crash was just careless. That's the second Williams he's taken out of a race so far this season.

Biggest donkey of the race, though, has to go to Yusuke Hasegawa. Fernando must have been spitting blood when he got out of the car. Nice gesture to go and walk out into the crowd like that though.

Duncan
12th June 2017, 02:46
By the way, one random thought: there was a radio message from Fernando at one point that was something like "the engine power is embarrassing in this mode". Did he turn it up after that?

Starter
12th June 2017, 03:40
Alonso 2 laps from scoring points and his Honda blows up. It's like he's cursed.
Maybe he'll have better luck in IndyCar next year. At least the Hondas have power are pretty reliable there.

N. Jones
12th June 2017, 03:50
I'm on the fence about Perez. If a teammate is faster he should prove it by overtaking his teammate. I also understand the business side of putting whoever is having a better race/season/whatever in front of their teammate.

From all that I have heard it seem FI tried to persuade Perez to move over and he said no. The End.

AndyL
12th June 2017, 10:46
are you just here to argue?
SMH

one of the reasons I've dialed back from interaction on this forum.

It's your own argument, not mine.

Given that you've vehemently argued against the very concept of team orders in the past - including saying that they're useless and unnecessary, as well as the other line I quoted - I'm extremely surprised to see you criticising Perez for failing to follow them.

zako85
12th June 2017, 13:32
This was not a bad race. This race certainly could have been more interesting if Vettel's car didn't need repairs after the first turn accident. On the other hand, it was still enjoyable to see the train of Ricciardo, Perez, Ocon, and both Ferrari cars fighting for the last podium spot. For me, Ricciardo is the driver of the day because he did not crumble under this immense pressure, he got on the podium, and then shared a shoe full of champagne with Patrick Stewart. It doesn't get better than that for Red Bull for now.

Jag_Warrior
12th June 2017, 17:44
By the way, one random thought: there was a radio message from Fernando at one point that was something like "the engine power is embarrassing in this mode". Did he turn it up after that?

Excellent question. I haven't seen that addressed in the F1 press yet.

AndyL
13th June 2017, 09:59
Excellent question. I haven't seen that addressed in the F1 press yet.

I'm guessing the mode Alonso was complaining about was a fuel saving mode, so if he'd turned it up when he shouldn't then he'd have run out of fuel, or failed scrutineering for having used more than 100kg.
But on the other hand if Fernando wants a Mercedes behind him next season, then switching the Honda to a "she cannae take any more cap'n" mode certainly helps that case.

N4D13
14th June 2017, 06:57
I'm guessing the mode Alonso was complaining about was a fuel saving mode, so if he'd turned it up when he shouldn't then he'd have run out of fuel, or failed scrutineering for having used more than 100kg.
But on the other hand if Fernando wants a Mercedes behind him next season, then switching the Honda to a "she cannae take any more cap'n" mode certainly helps that case.
That is a fair point, but I cannot see Mercedes taking on F1's greatest prima donna when they've got two drivers who are performing very well at the moment. We all know how talented Hamilton is and Bottas is exceeding expectations, so why would they let any of them go?

AndyL
14th June 2017, 10:17
That is a fair point, but I cannot see Mercedes taking on F1's greatest prima donna when they've got two drivers who are performing very well at the moment. We all know how talented Hamilton is and Bottas is exceeding expectations, so why would they let any of them go?

I meant McLaren switching to Mercedes engine supply, rather than Alonso moving to the Mercedes team.

airshifter
15th June 2017, 13:34
An overall interesting race, with Canada once again showing some brake weakness in cars. This time it was Ferrari, but quite possible it impacted other teams to a lesser extent.

Awesome job by Lewis with complete domination and staying out front in clean air, and from the looks of thing just controlling what was an easy looking win. Same for Bottas, even though he couldn't give Lewis any challenge.

From Ricciardo on back, they were all fighting hard for the positions. Seb made the best of his first turn misfortune and charged through the pack, even if that dive in on Ocon was shaky at best IMO. Kimi had a solid race and showed that the extra stop could work, until brake issues slowed down his charge.

Perez.... I'm still on the fence as to what I really think. FI made the mistake of not making a clear team order, and Sergio stayed in place. I really think he should have moved over even if the team was vague. I think Ocon had the pace to challenge for a podium, and the team could surely use one at this point. I still enjoyed the racing and Ocon showed that he would not take both cars out with a do or die move on his team mate.

As usual, Canada produces retirements.

Nitrodaze
15th June 2017, 17:25
Merc 1-2? I think they are the fastest and Lewis won his first race here (correct?).
It's been a while since anyone hit the wall of Champions.... was Hulkenburg the last?

You called that well didn't you. Mercedes one two. Vettel would be kicking himself right now. It was another Redbull pilot that gave him grief. I wonder if he complained to Helmut?