PDA

View Full Version : Renault has given up on 2007 only 3 races in...

blakebeatty
28th April 2007, 00:14
2007 is a write off for the two times world constructors champions...

Renault has already started working on its 2008 car in order to solve some of the problems it now faces with the R27. Flavio Briatore does not want the team to lose time over trying to fix the current car and he believes the project should give the team a fresh perspective

"We have already started work on next year's car," Briatore was quoted as saying by Autosprint.

"It's futile messing about with this one, that's our aim. Whatever we find out, we can eventually use it on this year's car," he added.

if honda is considering going back to the RA07, why would Renault not consider returning to the R26, surely it would be more competitive...

FASTEST LAPS FOR RENAULT - Perhaps not a fair comparison due to regulation changes, but the Oz results beg to compare this year to last regardless...

BAHRAIN 2006 - FISI 1:34.320 ALONSO - 1:32.534
BAHRAIN 2007 - FISI 1:35.200 HEIKKI - 1:35.475

MALAYSIA 2006 - FISI 1:35.294 ALONSO - 1:34.803
MALAYSIA 2007 - FISI 1:37.879 HEIKKI - 1:37.810

MELBOURNE 2006 - FISI 1:27.561 ALONSO - 1:26.189
MELBOURNE 2007 - FISI 1:26.892 HEIKKI - 1:27.592

Jimmy Magnusson
28th April 2007, 00:44
Not good news for Fisichella I suppose. I do suspect that Piquet will get his seat even if he beats Kovalainen, and where will Fisi go then? He's not championship material, but he is good enough to be in the series.

Sleeper
28th April 2007, 01:10
I think you'll find that all the teams have started at least the preliminary work on their 08 cars. Renault have said that they arent quite sure why they have lost so much pace to Ferrari and McLaren, but it makes sense for thm to at least figure out what thier problems are. Look at Honda, they've had series aero problems for 3 years now and are still trying to figuer out whats the problem.

Those times you posted are meaningless as the 07 tyres are slower than the 06 tyres, probably by somwhere between 1 and 2 seconds. As for using the R26, that is not a viable option as it was designed to run on Michelins not Bridgestone and that is likely to be at least part of Renauls problem.

Chances are that Flavio is trying to lower expectations and defelct some pressure for the rest of the year.

ShiftingGears
28th April 2007, 01:44
Due to the strictness of the rules it makes it harder and harder for a team to make a bold innovation to propel themselves up the grid, so it's probably a good call from Flav. Though I have to say, I don't see Renault consistantly winning again unless they get some top class driver. It didnt happen after Schumacher left Benneton, and I doubt its going to happen after Alonso jumped ship.

Valve Bounce
28th April 2007, 03:20
Renault are facing difficult times. They lost their trump card Alonso, and their two drivers are not setting the F1 track alight. Sleazy Flav showed his dislike of Fisi last year when Fisi showed his frustration twice: once by hurling his glove down, and another time when he started swearing at the team after his car broke down. Fisi was never given consolation, but instead was told off by Flav in no uncertain terms. Heiki is not up to racing in a top team yet - he certainly is no Lewis Hamilton, nor Massa.

Then this team hasn't adapted to the new tyres. No good pointing to Ferrari's using Bridgestones last year as an excuse because this year's tyres bear no resemblance to last year's. Ferrari simply got on with the job, and are doing quite nicely. McLaren have gone from an underperforming team to one of the top two - they have two fast and very good drivers. You could say that both Ferrari and McLaren have grabbed the better drivers and made them tops. Renault has gone in the opposite direction.

Alonso was always Flav's trump card and without Alonso, Ferrari would have creamed Renault for the past two years.

What can Renault do? Say they are not concentrating on this year's car anymore, but try to grab at least one top driver for next year. But who is available? Ralf? Bunsen? DC? Webber? Rubens? Nick Heidfeld? Out of all the drivers, only Webber is available as he is managed by Flav - everybody else is tied up.

I have read somewhere that Fisi has a longish contract at Renault - if this is so, then Flav must ensure that he gives Fisi the backing to perform confidently. Heiki has the rest of the year (according to Flav's 2007 plan) to improve or be shunted sideways. Maybe Webber is the answer as he is supposed to be quite good at R&D.

waitey
28th April 2007, 04:28
there is no way they are losing 2 seconds or so a lap with the new tyres. Yes maybe the tyres are a lot more slippery and less grip, but they have obviously made up the ground in other areas such as the quick shift gearboxes and aero. I would say they are basically lapping the same as evident in melbourne or very much on the edge. No difference for me. SO therefore renault's performance is very much off the pace from last year's car.

jso1985
28th April 2007, 22:08
they messed up the whole car like Ferrari in 2005, all teams are already thinking about their 2008 cars so I don't see why they should "dump" their current car, remember McLaren in 2004, they started in even worse shape and ended up with a race winning car

nigelred5
29th April 2007, 06:01
I agree with Valve, the problem is more likely driver than car. Alonzo would likely be right on pace in this year's car judging by the time comparisons. The tires are probably close to a second, and Alonzo's always been good for at least .5 second or more over Fisi. Flav needs to face the fact that his driver line up is now at best average.

Ed
29th April 2007, 18:44
if you read in autosport Pat Simmons had dismissed that it is to do with the drivers, and had admitted that it is down to flaws in the car. I dont think the blame can be placed at Fisi or Kovalien. Also nigle red dont think alonson was 5 seconds a lap quickere then fisi

BeansBeansBeans
29th April 2007, 20:44
Alonzo would likely be right on pace in this year's car judging by the time comparisons.

Judging by which time comparisons? There is no way that Alonso would be 'right on pace' in the 2007 Renault. In my opinion, anyway.

GridGirl
29th April 2007, 22:01
I pointed this out a couple of weeks ago in the Renault have the weakest driver line up thread. Keep up with the programme guys, this news is so 3 weeks ago :p

Valve Bounce
30th April 2007, 01:23
if you read in autosport Pat Simmons had dismissed that it is to do with the drivers, and had admitted that it is down to flaws in the car. I dont think the blame can be placed at Fisi or Kovalien. Also nigle red dont think alonson was 5 seconds a lap quickere then fisi
Nobody is 5 seconds a lap slower than Fisi - not even Ide. :p :

ioan
30th April 2007, 12:20
I agree with Valve, the problem is more likely driver than car. Alonzo would likely be right on pace in this year's car judging by the time comparisons.

You must be kidding.

blakebeatty
30th April 2007, 15:39
Originally Posted by nigelred5 http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=255064#post255064)
I agree with Valve, the problem is more likely driver than car. Alonzo would likely be right on pace in this year's car judging by the time comparisons.

no it has to be the car, just look at fisi. He is way off his pace of last year both in time, and in terms of success (points).

Garry Walker
30th April 2007, 16:05
Alonso was always Flav's trump card and without Alonso, Ferrari would have creamed Renault for the past two years.
Renault was the best car for the last 2 years.

I agree with Valve, the problem is more likely driver than car. Alonzo would likely be right on pace in this year's car judging by the time comparisons. The tires are probably close to a second, and Alonzo's always been good for at least .5 second or more over Fisi. Flav needs to face the fact that his driver line up is now at best average.

The problem is clearly with the car, to suggest anything else is idiotic. Fisi and Kovalainen are both a bit slower than Alonso, but not by 2 seconds, which is the gap now.

Alonso was never 0,5 seconds per lap quicker than Fisi in equal conditions.