PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Spanish Grandprix - Barcelona

Nitrodaze
12th May 2017, 10:44
http://www.automobilsport.com/uploads/_neustart20/f1/barcelona-circuit-de-catalunya.jpg

Formally the Circuit de Catalunya, now called Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. A complete lap of this track is 4.655 kilometer and a full race is 66 laps in the baking Catalunyan sun, covering a race distance of 307 kilometers. The track has 16 corners, seven of which are tight torturing chicanes and about 6 fast swooping corners. There is one major long straight which may benefit cars with good engine grunt like Mercedes and Ferrari.

Kimi Raikonen holds the race lap record of 1:21.670 with the Ferrari F2008 in 2008. The Ferrari 056 engine in the F2008 was a 2398cc V8 (90°) naturally aspirated engine. It would be interesting to see if the modern hybrid engine can match or break this lap record this weekend. The fastest lap ever done on this track was by Rubens Barrichello at 1:19.954 in Q2 of the 2009 season. Have a look at the video below at a fast Ferrari lap on this circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2jgU7TXC8
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/Kimi_Canada_2008.jpg/1024px-Kimi_Canada_2008.jpg

Circuit de Catalunya was the scene of much controversy in 2016 when the two Mercedes of Rosberg and Hamilton took each other out.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/05/16/07/34327B4300000578-0-The_crash_dramatically_forced_both_drivers_out_of_ the_race_at_th-m-14_1463381599388.jpg

Within the Mercedes camp, loyaties were divided, senior Mercedes officials were quoted in some tabloid saying Hamilton was stupid and caused the crash. For many, it was the deciding point for the outcome of the 2016 driver championship and remains controversial todate. Compared to 2016, the current 2017 season so far, is sort of an anti-climax to the 2016 season where we experienced a monumental rivalry not seen since the Prost-Senna rivalry.

The 2017 Spanish GP promises to be a resumption of the head to head between Hamilton and Vettel that we all want to see.

Rollo
12th May 2017, 14:03
Boo

Nitrodaze
12th May 2017, 16:01
Boo

Rollo buddy, don't you like the post or are you booing something else???

Zico
13th May 2017, 09:43
Your thread starting post was very nicely done Nitrodaze. Rollo probably just had a shandy or two and was saying hello in his own way. ;)

Mercedes looking strong again at the moment and looked to have made a big step forward but I'm really hoping Ferrari and Red Bull can also get in the mix come Sunday... maybe if we get rain?

Nitrodaze
13th May 2017, 10:10
Your thread starting post was very nicely done Nitrodaze. Rollo probably just had a shandy or two and was saying hello in his own way. ;)

Mercedes looking strong again at the moment and looked to have made a big step forward but I'm really hoping Ferrari and Red Bull can also get in the mix come Sunday... maybe if we get rain?
Thanks buddy ;-) Enjoy the weekend.

Nitrodaze
13th May 2017, 12:09
I think the lap record would be smashed this weekend. We may even see the fastest lap ever happen this weekend. Chances are we may have less than 1:19:950 or even in the region of 1:18:999 this weekend.

Tazio
13th May 2017, 12:37
I predicted 118.981 for pole on the interleague forum pick'ems.:stareup: Of course I didn't have the luxury of viewing pre quali practice!

Tazio
13th May 2017, 12:46
Quali McDawgz! Anyone out there?

Koz
13th May 2017, 13:05
I'm here and I forgot the pickems.

What's the deal. With Bottas' engine?

Tazio
13th May 2017, 13:09
I thought they got it squared away.

Tazio
13th May 2017, 13:30
Alright McFred into q3. Who'd have thunk it.

AndyL
13th May 2017, 13:31
Fernando into Q3... that's like a win for McLaren these days! The fans liked it though.

longisland
13th May 2017, 13:33
Wow! A phenomenal lap from Fred albeit at the expense of Grosjean brakes gremlins.

Koz
13th May 2017, 13:33
Apparently the fixed the electrical issue and then found a water leak so old engine apparently underpowered?

Grosjean is just trashing his reputation this season. Is he trying too hard?

Rollo
13th May 2017, 13:34
Rollo buddy, don't you like the post or are you booing something else???

I don't like my post.

Last edited by Rollo; Yesterday at 13:04. Reason: Emojis don't work here... just like McLaren in 2017.

I had a whole post written in Emojis and it just got turned into a bunch of diamonds with question marks in them; so that was annoying.

Rollo
13th May 2017, 13:39
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_tSMCMWAAAlqHO.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_tOYZCXkAESfvl.jpg

From the Article 9.2 of the FIA Formula 1 sporting regulations:

"this number must be clearly visible from the front of the car and on the driver's crash helmet".

"The name or the emblem of the make of the car must appear on the front of the nose of the car and in either case be at least 25mm in its largest dimension. The name of the driver must appear on the external bodywork and be clearly legible."

It's about time isn't it? NASCAR sorted this out about 50 years ago; F1 has only now seemed to have got the idea.
Not if only the BTCC, V8Supercars, WRC and the WTCC got on board with this instead of those stupid window numbers, we could all be happy.

Nitrodaze
13th May 2017, 13:52
So the Vettel vs Hamilton showdown is back on. The fastest lap time was smashed by 800th of a sec by Hamilton. But all cars on the two front rows were well within the Barrichello time of 1:19:9. That is a wow wow.

Tazio
13th May 2017, 13:54
Congrat's McHam! What's going on, Fred put the McLaren in p7 right after the big three! Weird!

Rollo
13th May 2017, 14:03
Two horses P2 and P4, Alonso the dark horse at P7 and Ocon's pale horse in P10... wait a minute. That's four horsemen! :eek:

Run for the hills, we've got an apocalypse on our hands.

Nitrodaze
13th May 2017, 14:27
I'm here and I forgot the pickems.

What's the deal. With Bottas' engine?

There was a water leak on his new engine. They had to take it out and fit the old engine. But Lauder says there is no performance difference between the old and the new engine. Bottas's engine would be doing its 5th race this weekend. I think the Mercedes engines are good for at least 5 races, so he should be fine.

Zico
13th May 2017, 15:24
Very close up front but have Merc also improved their race pace enough to make it stick?
Exciting times.. I really enjoyed that qualy, can't wait for tomorrow!

Just wow, Fernando, that almost left me speechless.. You've still got 'it' auld yin! :D

steveaki13
13th May 2017, 21:50
Alonso's P7 was outstanding. I really would love him to get a decent car somewhere.

Hamilton done well to get pole, but if the race follows the pattern then Ferrari could be a bit quicker in the race.

I fear few pieces of action again like Russia although it won't be that bad.

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 11:58
It took me a small while for it to properly sink in for me. Fernando and Maclaren best of the rest behind the Redbull in Barcelona, double wow. Who would have thought that one? That was the lap of the season so far l think.

But where was the Williams and the Renault? It would seem most teams have been struggling to get the tyres to work at the higher temperatures of Barcelona in the summer; compared the to cooler temps at testing.

I think Vettel could have taken pole if he had a cleaner lap. There seem to be at least half a second to spare in that Ferrari. Bottas could have also been on the front row if he had managed to get out of the last corner cleanly too. The top four are so close, anyone of them could win the race tomorrow. A clean get away from the lights and possibly a great strategy is going to make the difference in winning or losing today.

Who do you think will take the win today?

(A) Hamilton
(b) Vettel
(c) Bottas
(d) Raikonen

Rollo
14th May 2017, 12:19
Fernando and Maclaren best of the rest behind the Redbull in Barcelona, double wow. Who would have thought that one? That was the lap of the season so far l think.

Quite frankly I think that that was Fernando dragging around that McLaren. This is where the driver, who probably knows this circuit better than anyone else out there, has been sufficiently enough of an organic component to climb around the deficiencies in the car.

Tazio
14th May 2017, 12:41
Hi bro's, I'm backing The Boss, but man it is close. It could be decided by strategy, or a safety car!

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 12:41
Afternoon dawgs.

I would love Fred to get a great launch and mix it with Bulls. He has done an awesome job this weekend.

Fingers crossed for points for him.

Palmer really is sucking at the moment. Be amazed if he see's out the season sadly.

Lets hope for an exciting race. Hoping for a Lewis or Kimi win to really keep this season neck and neck all the way

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 12:42
We have seen in recent years the leaders lapping most of the field. Will it be the same today?

(Apart from last year when Merc crashed out)

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 12:53
Whoops. Clumsy start.

Vettel leads by a mile and may well run and hide again today.

Kimi & Max out really

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 12:54
Lets hope that is not the action over like Russia.

Koz
14th May 2017, 13:03
What happened to Max and Kimi?

longisland
14th May 2017, 13:06
It's nice to hear Fred telling the team he is being held up by the Haas

Koz
14th May 2017, 13:13
Crap, Vettel pits into traffic!

AndyL
14th May 2017, 13:13
It's nice to hear Fred telling the team he is being held up by the Haas

It's turning out horribly for Alonso, as scrapping Magnussen and Sainz emerge right in front of him.

AndyL
14th May 2017, 13:15
I think that should have been Kevin telling his excitable Italian engineer to calm down!

AndyL
14th May 2017, 13:16
This McLaren is clearly good in the corners but Alonso has no power to pass anyone.

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 13:19
Mercedes strategy oppotunities later in the race mean passing Vettel. How is that the right idea here?

Giving it to Seb I think.

AndyL
14th May 2017, 13:22
Mercedes strategy oppotunities later in the race mean passing Vettel. How is that the right idea here?

Giving it to Seb I think.

Not if Bottas can do the same job on both Ferraris ;)

longisland
14th May 2017, 13:23
This McLaren is clearly good in the corners but Alonso has no power to pass anyone.

Van Doorne managed to pass Palmer. The Mclaren is not as hopeless as perceived

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 13:26
Good defense from Bottas but great pass by Vettel.

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 13:28
Hard to call this one.

Interesting scrap.

AndyL
14th May 2017, 13:39
Poll: will 4th place be lapped? Ricciardo is just over half a lap down at half distance.

AndyL
14th May 2017, 13:47
Game on!

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 13:52
BOTTAS what a defensive drive.

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 13:54
I think that should have been Kevin telling his excitable Italian engineer to calm down!
That chap on the radio was an arse really.

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 13:56
Bottas out.

Great day for Force India. 4th and 5th so far.

Interesting

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 13:58
Bottas out.

Great day for Force India. 4th and 5th so far.

Interesting
More like 5th and 6th really. Yeah looking good for Force India. What about Werhlien running in 7th.

Zico
14th May 2017, 14:01
Lewis will be a sitting duck before too long...

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 14:05
WOAH, What was Stoffel doing?

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 14:13
Werhlein has a 5 second penalty.... what a shame.

The crying kid gets to meet Kimi. That is awesome. F1 is becoming more fan friendly with its new owners.

Bernie would have charged £200 on the spot to do that :D

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 14:15
Bugger, Bottas's old engine gives up the ghost

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 14:16
The two Williams about to be lapped for a 2nd time

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 14:19
Great to see the bollard did not mess up the race. Hamilton ahead but can he keep it ahead to the line.

Zico
14th May 2017, 14:20
Seb sounding cool, calm and collected while Lewis is huffing and puffing... Is Lewis unfit or just having to try so much harder?

Tazio
14th May 2017, 14:21
Alright The Boss. Hang in there baby!

AndyL
14th May 2017, 14:22
Alonso breezes past 2 Williams... I guess they've given it up and turned everything down at this point. Still I guess it gives the Spanish fans something to cheer, even if it is for 13th place 2 laps down.

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 14:23
Werhlein has a 5 second penalty.... what a shame.

That was a great story spoilt, yeah what a shame.

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 14:24
Seb sounding cool, calm and collected while Lewis is huffing and puffing... Is Lewis unfit or just having to try so much harder?

Yeah, l wasn't sure if that was wind noise or huffing and puffing. Hammy seemed to be under strain at the mo.

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 14:27
Well done Lewis.... wins are wins. Championship battle is right on.

AndyL
14th May 2017, 14:29
That was a pretty good race, as Spanish GPs go. I think Ferrari had marginally the faster race car today, but the strategy played out in Mercedes' favour. First Bottas' defence drawing the sting out of Vettel's second set of soft tyres, then Hamilton's pit-stop taking advantage of the VSC.

longisland
14th May 2017, 14:31
Pass of the day Lewis on Seb
Driver of the day Wehrlein
Team of the day Force India
Donkey van Doorne & Magnussen
Best race of the season todate

Zico
14th May 2017, 14:31
Yeah, l wasn't sure it that was wind noise or huffing and puffing. Hammy seem to be under strain at the mo.

Yeah, might well be.

Well done Lewis, I was expecting your tyres to start going off and Vet to catch you but nope...

Really great race, awesome... close competition between two teams at last, F1 is interesting again. Game on!

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 14:32
Palmer 16th while Magnussen is 6th

AndyL
14th May 2017, 14:35
Another good race from Force India as well. Solid pace through all phases of the race, no mistakes by the drivers, pit crews or strategists, and they come home 4th and 5th. They've been doing a great job lately.

AndyL
14th May 2017, 14:37
Yeah, l wasn't sure it that was wind noise or huffing and puffing. Hammy seem to be under strain at the mo.

He did look pretty shattered in the cool-down room didn't he.

yodasarmpit
14th May 2017, 14:51
Palmer 16th while Magnussen is 6th

Sadly, this just underlines how poor Palmer is as KMag is certainly not setting the world on fire.

Zico
14th May 2017, 14:53
He did look pretty shattered in the cool-down room didn't he.

Yep, he sure did.
Losing 2kg in weight during the race sounds huge but I don't know if it that is normal or not.
Is getting rid of his fitness coach and managing his own fitness, affecting him adversely?

Nitrodaze
14th May 2017, 15:10
Werhlein is the driver of the race in my book. It looks like Mercedes has regained lost ground against the Ferrari. Shame Bottas had engine failure. Great recovery for Werhlein to slip only one position even with a 5 sec penalty.

The head to head resumed with a wheel bang. I hope this develops into a thriller for this season.

Thumbs up to Mercedes for a great race strategy :-)

steveaki13
14th May 2017, 18:05
I meant Palmer 16th & Hulkenberg 6th earlier on

Stan Reid
14th May 2017, 19:41
Sauber, arguably the worst car, coming in 8th is a bit of truimph but, for the most part, the race again was just a consolation event of qualifying. I don't know what to do about it but it's a sorry reality in short distance road racing.

yodasarmpit
15th May 2017, 22:18
I meant Palmer 16th & Hulkenberg 6th earlier on

I never even noticed, should have thought something was up when it read KMag 6th lol.

The Black Knight
16th May 2017, 11:01
Fabulous race.

It was great to see the two main title protagonists head to head like that pushing each other to the limit.

I was quite surprised to see how fatigued Lewis was throughout. I guess that just shows exactly how hard he is pushing the limits. It certainly didn't seem as if Vettel was anyway near close to being that fatigued after the race.

Lewis was my driver of the day. He stuck with it and was balls to the wall throughout. Great to see flat out racing like that again in F1. And it just shows that great F1 races don't need lots of overtaking, it just needs close racing.

The new 2017 rules are proving to be working out an absolute treat.

RBR seem nowhere with their new upgrade. Hopefully this now busts wide open the Adrian Newey myth with him and RBR being the master of aero-dynamics and the rubbish assumptions that go with it which have people continually claiming RBR have the best car without anything from which to support such an assumption. Clearly the best chassis are both Ferrari and Mercedes and there's little to choose between them.

Exciting season!

Nitrodaze
16th May 2017, 11:03
Having watched the race again, it kind of looks like Bottas got away without a penalty for the first corner crash after the lights went out. He braked way too early and committed to the corner late enough for Kimi and Max to gain nearly a cars length on him.

Though he got away with it, Kama got him in the end wouldn't you say.

The Black Knight
16th May 2017, 13:27
Having watched the race again, it kind of looks like Bottas got away without a penalty for the first corner crash after the lights went out. He braked way too early and committed to the corner late enough for Kimi and Max to gain nearly a cars length on him.

Though he got away with it, Kama got him in the end wouldn't you say.

I don't think it's really fair to blame anyone in that case. Lets not forget that Vettel was right in front of Bottas and he had no idea when Vettel was going to brake. Bottas braked early due to this reason I feel. It's just a first corner incident. It's not like Bahrain last year where he ruined Hamilton's race. This one is just a first corner racing incident in my opinion.

airshifter
17th May 2017, 05:22
Great to see both Seb and Lewis pushing hard to make their respective strategies work for them. I thought for sure the hard tires would go off more and that Seb might have the upper hand towards the end of the race, but things worked out in the end for Lewis and Mercedes. I still have to question why Ferrari chose to blink first and change tires when Vettel had the lead and a gap, but then again stranger things have happened.

Even with the retirements taking place in the front runners, the mid pack seemed to be really tight. Great results from Force India, and seeing a Sauber up in the points was amazing. Interesting to see that Williams seems to be fighting to keep the pace they had earlier in the season, though with Felipe doing all the work and being less consistent it might just be the driving too.

Great to see that the Ferrari/Kimi fan got some photo ops after that first turn tear session too!

Nitrodaze
18th May 2017, 09:15
I don't think it's really fair to blame anyone in that case. Lets not forget that Vettel was right in front of Bottas and he had no idea when Vettel was going to brake. Bottas braked early due to this reason I feel. It's just a first corner incident. It's not like Bahrain last year where he ruined Hamilton's race. This one is just a first corner racing incident in my opinion.

Doing a slow play through that first corner showed that Bottas braked so early, such that Vettel was over a car length in front and not a real danger or concern for Bottas. That said, l can see that he was careful to ensure that he came through the first corner unscathed, which was clever. I think he was trying to avoid crashing into Hamilton who was alongside him. You are right, we should not apportion blame for the first corner incident.

Other risk takers paid the price, but he was lucky to not get damage from the wheel bang with Kimi.

Bagwan
19th May 2017, 15:59
Kimi and Max got away with one as they re-entered the track alongside Massa , who got pushed out and into poor Fred , forcing him off track , losing him many places .

That was not safe at all .
Both raced each other while off-track , over sausage curbing that firstly , could have broken suspensions , and secondly , definitely destabilized both cars only moments before both raced each other to get back on .