PDA

View Full Version : Colin Clark Kitchen Table

Sulland
23rd April 2017, 11:44
Love these youtube episodes from Colin. Especially when he invites friends.

This one one of the best to date
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8eqBMt-x4&feature=youtu.be

Much knowledge around the table!

Simmi
23rd April 2017, 14:53
Interested to see how this develops after Colin fired some fairly public shots at the Absolute Rally podcast. Definitely found the Mads episode insightful - even if it did demonstrate no one knows what the heck is happening with Mikkelsen!

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd April 2017, 18:45
I posted links to these CCKT podcasts here a couple of times but there was no response or reaction.

I prefer the Absolute Rally podcast myself, but all rally discussion is welcome.

NickRally
24th April 2017, 05:15
Sorry Fast Eddie WRC, when you posted the link in the technical forum, I should have said "thank you", as I listened to it and liked it.

Munkvy
24th April 2017, 11:32
Its good to have another avenue of information, but they sure did kiss Ostbergs backside in the interview with him... I prefer the more realistic approach of Absolute Rally.

Munkvy
24th April 2017, 11:45
Interested to see how this develops after Colin fired some fairly public shots at the Absolute Rally podcast. Definitely found the Mads episode insightful - even if it did demonstrate no one knows what the heck is happening with Mikkelsen!

What was he saying about their podcast?

Fast Eddie WRC
25th April 2017, 16:17
Show #3 is up !
FB: https://t.co/ojPfAVG4wM
YouTube: https://t.co/oQr4Kntfan
iTunes: https://t.co/oUN4c2AiSm
PodBean: https://t.co/eBzC8XvuMD https://t.co/pIYGjif7ul

GigiGalliNo1
25th April 2017, 16:37
I listened to the first ep in the new format which they have "friends" .... boy did I loose interest and got bored... there needs to be some sort of structure to the show

Absolute Rally is great, but a bit of studdering and too much babble sometimes but it's grown in me

In saying that, what did Clark say about Absolute Rally?

I know Colin was going to name his show Total something as he has the rights to the old sponsorship to the old Absolute Rally..

Simmi
26th April 2017, 12:58
I think Colin's big thing about Absolute Rally was that they really had no insight and it was all a bit removed from the WRC. Not a quality product etc. Clearly some bad blood there from past dealings.

I think honestly a lot of the stuff he's done recently with his kitchen tables has been no better - in that it's just pure speculation and nothing beyond what we do on the forum anyway. But I think we all love a bit of speculation so there's nothing wrong with that. I also like Absolute Rally but there's a bit too much banter/schtick at times like you say Matt.

Undoubtedly though Col has more clout and contacts and on balance I've enjoyed watching these new episodes so far. Always difficult to pull something together when people are in different places. Sounds quality/internet connection etc.

Warning - Watching the latest episode will make you come dangerously close to liking Jost Capito!

All that aside - if I could pick one single person to build a podcast around it would be Julian Porter. That guy really has his ear to the ground and has some great insight and stories. Every time I hear him talk he's superb.

er88
26th April 2017, 23:09
Have to say ive really enjoyed these new podcasts. And as Simmi says, I saw a new side to Jost Capito in that interview/ video. Seems to have rallying in his blood and could have talked for hours, seemed like he didn't want to log off! People love to moan about everything these days but getting a different driver on every show and also people like Jost is good enough for me. A very solid start for the new podcast, and the more rally media the better imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

seb_sh
27th April 2017, 09:31
Good idea about making this thread! I like this type of content even if it's sometimes just speculation. The discussion itself is enjoyable if it's good quality. And now we can discuss on the forum the discussions from the podcast without getting lost in the news and rumors thread or whatever :D

Gonna listen to the latest one later today.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th April 2017, 10:12
Absolute Rally podcast for those that havent heard it before:

https://www.podbean.com/media/player/6i8mb-6a283c-pb?vjs=1

Brynmor Pierce
27th April 2017, 11:56
I quite like both to be fair, ok my company puts some backing into Absolute but likewise I work with Colin and indeed his input into our yearly pre Rally GB forum is immense.

They're very different things,one thing you will find and it's something we pride the forum on is that the people in the sport are very human away from those 5 second snippets on TV and Radio, Jost is great and Seb Ogier is tremendous fun.

Doon
28th April 2017, 12:24
I assumed George Donaldson would know what he was on about until he said something along the lines, "2 years ago, the only driver who could challenge Ogier, in Ogier's eyes, was Mads Ostberg". Hmmm. Does anyone have a quote from Ogier saying this?

EightGear
28th April 2017, 12:34
I assumed George Donaldson would know what he was on about until he said something along the lines, "2 years ago, the only driver who could challenge Ogier, in Ogier's eyes, was Mads Ostberg". Hmmm. Does anyone have a quote from Ogier saying this?

I remember something like that, but no way that was 2 years ago. More like back in 2013.

AnttiL
9th May 2017, 11:37
So, still no new episode? I thought the eventful Rally Argentina could have easily created an episode worth of talking, but now we're almost at Portugal and nothing?

GigiGalliNo1
10th May 2017, 15:51
Thank god

seb_sh
14th May 2017, 20:43
Autosport podcast rally special with Edd Straw, David Evans, Colin Clark and Jost Capito: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129500/podcast-what-making-wrc-2017-so-dramatic - audio only. Has a few interesting things in it.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th May 2017, 11:11
Autosport podcast rally special with Edd Straw, David Evans, Colin Clark and Jost Capito: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129500/podcast-what-making-wrc-2017-so-dramatic - audio only. Has a few interesting things in it.

Good listen... especially Capito.

tomhlord
16th May 2017, 08:34
What was he saying about their podcast?

Some of the bad blood dates back to an interview with Dani Sordo on the then named 'Total Rally' podcast. It was cringe. But part of the problem at the time was a Skype delay/quality and a question from Guy Wilks, which made things all the more confusing and perhaps exaggerated the tension.

Anyway, the upshot is there are now two podcasts for rally fans to listen to. Colin's is very much WRC focussed, Absolute Rally also encompasses British, Asian and American series too. Competition is great, but also the rally word is too small for falling out. I'll listen to both. For now there's work to be done to iron out KTS and find a natural rhythm.

EstWRC
16th May 2017, 08:57
new episode with Evans and Cormack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lXS2XHm_t0

Fast Eddie WRC
16th May 2017, 11:25
CC: Could Portugal turn out to be the Battle of the Brits? Read my thoughts here https://t.co/jojAx4cXAD @ElfynEvans @krismeeke @rallytravel

AnttiL
25th May 2017, 10:22
https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrally/posts/762887183873947

My Thoughts on Citroen Racing, Andreas Mikkelsen and Craig Breen
I wrote this piece on Monday morning before the news of Mikkelsen’s drive for Citroen in Sardinia broke. I think that news justifies the first sentence in my article. I’ve added a paragraph or two at the end on the potential ramifications of this “one off drive” for Andreas.
Is it fair to say Citroen Racing are in a bit of a crisis? On the face of it you could probably argue yes. A less than auspicious start in Monte, an undriveable car in Sweden, a blown engine in Corsica and a bucking bronco of a machine in Argentina all point towards that conclusion. And that’s before we start looking at the stuttering start to the season Kris Meeke has made. To be fair to Kris, he has shown signs of brilliance, Corsica was particularly impressive, but it’s extremely difficult to find any momentum when, for one reason or another, you simply can’t put two good rally finishes in a row together. And where do we start with Stephane Lefebvre? Too many lapses in concentration and too many mistakes.
But Citroen will come good, they always do. Kris will win more rallies this year but i fear he’s now too far behind to make any meaningful challenge for the driver’s title. And Lefebvre will learn - eventually.
There is however one very big, bright shining positive to Citroen Racing’s season so far. Craig Breen has been simply a revelation. More than the odd eyebrow was raised when Breen was announced as a part time factory driver at the start of the 2016 season. He’d spent a couple of years floundering around various low key European rallies nursing a sick puppy of a car to the odd half decent result. But Yves Matton is a canny judge of driving talent. He looked at the bigger picture with Breen.
To put it simply, Breen has never done anything in his career other than rise to the challenge. He has always delivered, and Matton was fully aware of that.
For me what has always marked Breen out is his ability to learn and improve. He’s never been one to set the time sheets on fire on the odd stage or two then bin it spectacularly - he's left that to one or two other notable wannabes. He’s diligent and he’s dedicated. Right from the very early days back in 2009 when he first came to prominence winning the Irish, British and International Fiesta Sporting Trophies it was obvious what marked Breen out. Never the outright quickest, he was always the most intelligent, the hardest working and the most willing to learn and adapt.
And he’s continued to apply that successful formula right through his career. And you know what? He’s never stopped learning and improving. Finland last year showed that Breen has the speed to compete and win at the highest level, and with his grounded, functional approach, i have no doubt he’ll get there.
There have been some dark days and some frustrating periods in young Breen’s career to date. But all of that has only served to make him stronger and more determined. You won’t meet a nicer, more joyful and appreciative driver anywhere.
Citroen Racing might well be having a tough time of things right now, but in Craig Breen they have unearthed a gem who might well turn out to be their saviour.
Long may Breen’s star shine bright and brilliant!
So now we know, crisis or no crisis, Citroen Racing have taken the plunge and dropped Lefebvre in favour for the out of contract Mikkelsen for Sardinia.
It’s a brave man who admits that his plan isn’t working and action is needed. This current Citroen Racing team is very much Monsieur Matton’s and he alone will take responsibility for it’s short comings. On the face of it Matton has resolved the engineering issues that plagued the team’s early part of the season. And now he’s taken steps to address the issue of underperforming drivers. Lefebvre is dropped and Meeke is reminded that a world class driver is waiting in the wings should performances, and results, not improve. There are some around the service park who belligerently stick to their plans in the mistaken belief that change is a sign of weakness, or worse, an admission that you got it wrong. We should applaud Matton for having the back bone to make major changes quickly and expediently, before things, as my good friend George Donaldsonwould say, become catastrophic.
Mikkelsen’s move to Citroen, in my view, is highly unlikely to be just a one off. My guess is that he will have been given assurances that if he performs in Sardinia, there will be more outings for him in the remainder of the season. And he has every chance of performing in Sardinia. Yes he will be hampered by his absence of competitive seat time in 2017 machinery, but he will be up to speed very quickly indeed. His road position on Day 1 will be a massive advantage and will give him the opportunity to dial himself in and still remain competitive. We only have to look back to Australia last year, just seven rallies ago, to see the true pedigree of the young Norwegian. In terms of performance, i’d say forget the three seasons that preceded Oz, what we saw on that event was the true speed, determination and ability of Mikkelsen. He won on merit and in some style, and he can do that again this year. More than once if given the chance.
But i don’t believe this potential deal will impact on Meeke’s position at Citroen. Kris has shown pace and ability, and a little bit of recklessness this year. He has proved himself more than capable of matching Ogier and Neuville’s pace. Next year’s Manufacturer’s Championship i believe is the number one target for Citroen, and with Meeke, Mikkelsen and Breen, they have a line up more than capable of challenging for it.
For more of my thoughts on Mikkelsen and what this might mean for the 2018 season, take a look at my last Thoughts form the Kitchen Table.

Also this video https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrally/videos/762537780575554/

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd August 2017, 18:30
Latest episode with high praise for M-Sport and rumours on the future of Meeke and all the 2018 seats:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=806365079526157&id=296678697161467&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F4UbMVxoBsd&_rdr

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd August 2017, 23:03
A lot of opinion and speculation, but he must've heard some pretty strong rumours fron connected people in the SP to want to put the podcast out, and quickly.

The opinion on the Citroen team and Meeke's future (or lack of) sounds especially strong. A real big shake-up there may be on the cards.

bassist
22nd August 2017, 23:11
A lot of opinion and speculation, but he must've heard some pretty strong rumours fron connected people in the SP to want to put the podcast out, and quickly.

The opinion on the Citroen team and Meeke's future (or lack of) sounds especially strong. A real big shake-up there may be on the cards.

I also think Kris has very little future in that C3, he really seems a broken man. Such a shame, but I think it will be Mikkelson, Breen, and Loeb/Leferuve.

wrc2017
22nd August 2017, 23:26
I also think Kris has very little future in that C3, he really seems a broken man. Such a shame, but I think it will be Mikkelson, Breen, and Loeb/Leferuve.

OK, Meeke fucking up on SS1, but he and the C3 should have had the pace to win that rally. Mikkelsen is not the second coming, Meeke was getting on the pace again Day 2, and the car failed. OK, if Mikklesen for some reason get the last 3 rallys along with Meeke, it will be a better indication. Mikkelsen didnt impress on either Sardinia or Poland. Everyone is forgetting in the moment of madness, that the C3 will not be competitive in the last 3 events.

mmm
22nd August 2017, 23:49
Mostly predictable stuff. Most interesting part is the Hyundai rumors, seems like at least one of the drivers will be swapped for someone else - unless of course Paddon or Sordo pull off some miracle performances in the remaining rounds.

racerx1979
23rd August 2017, 01:47
Paddon and Sordo will be there in 2018 unless Sordo retired.

AnttiL
23rd August 2017, 06:07
I think the biggest news regarding that video is that Colin himself does not believe in Meeke anymore. He did so up until Germany.

racerx1979
23rd August 2017, 09:44
Colin's shift changed from Meeke to M-Sport. Love the guy, but even he cannot fully defend Meeke at this point.

Grundo Farb
29th August 2017, 07:49
Mostly predictable stuff. Most interesting part is the Hyundai rumors, seems like at least one of the drivers will be swapped for someone else - unless of course Paddon or Sordo pull off some miracle performances in the remaining rounds.

Na, absolute rubbish. Sordo has been Sordo for 10 years. Consistently slowish and relatively low risk but not a contender. Paddon (when his car has actually worked) has showed speed. Fast in Poland, fast in Finland, even faster than his team mates in 6 out of the 13 stages on the last two days in Germany (which included 3 stupid SSS stages) - on tarmac. Hell he was leading in Sardinia after the first day and first loop of stages on the second day.

Nothing this season has changed for Hyundai. Sordo is still Sordo and Paddon is still developing, if they didn't take any of the VW rejects from last year there is no reason to change this year.

I have lost interest in Colin Clark's rants, he only ever talks about M-Sport or Meeke and doesn't really have much to say other than the absolute obvious and stuff he makes up. He never quotes actual facts or figures or data on actual performance - split times on stages which may inform performance or provide an insight into what may influence a drivers speed. He just takes a long winded way to say not a lot...

In fact I think he misses a lot because he can't see past the blue oval or Meeke.

dupanton
29th August 2017, 09:32
Sordo is the best 3th driver you can have. He very rarely makes mistakes and takes consistent points when one of the other drivers retires.
On some events he is even 2nd driver (mainly on tarmac).

mknight
29th August 2017, 10:35
I'd say you are both missing the point, titles are won on points not on "shown speed" (Paddon and Meeke this year).

Specially this:

Sordo is the best 3th driver you can have. He very rarely makes mistakes and takes consistent points when one of the other drivers retires.

As it is now Ogier, Tanak and Mikkelsen don't have a contract. Any of these 3 would bring more points to Hyundai than Sordo. There is also no doubt that any of them has more "potential" for the future than Sordo.

With Paddon again any of these 3 likely brings more points, but Paddon has some future possibilities.

The question is if any of these 3 "free" drivers is available for the amount of money Hyundai wants to spend. (including eventual payments to the driver they drop).

But undoubtedly Hyundai will never drop Sordo or Paddon for someone like Suninen or Tidemand at this point.

AnttiL
29th August 2017, 11:35
Quoting myself:

Paddon had power steering failures in Sweden, Portugal and Argentina, a misfire in Mexico, and an electrical failure in Portugal. In Argentina and Monte he rolled the car and in Sardegna and Finland he clipped a wheel. In TDC and Germany he was just off the pace (with some punctures in Germany) and Poland was a clean run.

Sordo had a technical problem on the street stages in Mexico, broke a steering arm in Argentina and had engine problems in Sardegna. Germany was his first true driving error of the season and in Finland he was just off the pace.

Meanwhile, Neuville hasn't really had technical problems slowing him down.

Sordo has had two rallies ruined by technical problems, Paddon three. Neuville only had the brake problems in Sardegna. But it's also true that Paddon has made quite many driving errors this season.

GravelBen
29th August 2017, 12:31
Quoting myself:

Sordo has had two rallies ruined by technical problems, Paddon three. Neuville only had the brake problems in Sardegna. But it's also true that Paddon has made quite many driving errors this season.

Your quoted post lists 4 rallies with technical problems for Paddon, not 3. Just to be pedantic. ;)

I guess the power steering failure in Argentina probably didn't change his 6th place though, the time loss from the early roll was too much for that.

I'm still not sure if that roll was actually a mistake or just a weird combination of bad luck either to be honest - he wasn't off the road or off line, the car just somehow dug into a rut or something in the middle of the road at low speed and slow-motion tipped over with no damage.

I agree that he's had a bad season with a few of his own mistakes as well as the car problems - but plenty of other drivers have had rough patches too and come back to better form again afterwards, so I certainly haven't given up on him.

AnttiL
29th August 2017, 13:31
Your quoted post lists 4 rallies with technical problems for Paddon, not 3. Just to be pedantic. ;)

I guess the power steering failure in Argentina probably didn't change his 6th place though, the time loss from the early roll was too much for that.

You said it, not much to lose anymore on the last stage. He also had some other hydraulic problems on the final day, but couldn't really gain or lose any positions.

GigiGalliNo1
30th August 2017, 16:40

He's the best 2nd driver, since Citroen!

Fast Eddie WRC
5th September 2017, 18:42
Latest Ep...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=812165035612828&id=296678697161467&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FdNrp5EeTLr&_rdr

tomhlord
5th September 2017, 18:55
Latest Ep...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=812165035612828&id=296678697161467&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FdNrp5EeTLr&_rdr

A very interesting watch.

As he says, a lot could hinge on four-car teams next season.

KiwiWRCfan
26th September 2017, 18:05
New kitchen table, this time coming from Coffs Harbour https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrally/videos/820687908093874/

go mads
26th September 2017, 19:24
So it seems rally Australia's organisers see future safe spectating will take place from home with "spectators" watching online or on tv?

sonnybobiche
28th September 2017, 05:59
Hey, safety is literally the most important thing in the entire world. That's what "safety is the number 1 priority" actually means. More important than literally anything. Certainly far more important than actually enjoying life in any way. Spectating? Near moving vehicles? That's insane! If you want to do that, you're obviously not thinking rationally and you need the government or a quasi-government organization like the FIA to protect you from yourself.

EstWRC
23rd October 2017, 07:35
nice interview with Ogier https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrally/videos/831574633671868/

Zeakiwi
23rd October 2017, 11:36
DTM is going to 2 litre turbo engines in 2019, which would allow 2018 for Ogier to get up to speed in circuit racing, learning the tracks etc. Probably with Audi ( as Audi and BMW only likely works DTM works teams in 2019), sort of like what Walter Rhorl did when he stopped WRC?

Andre Oliveira
23rd October 2017, 11:48
DTM will steal more family time from him. Forget it. Ogier will be in WRC.

onemanband
23rd October 2017, 16:00
DTM will steal more family time from him. Forget it. Ogier will be in WRC.

Why do you think that?

DTM has less races, less testing and less traveling.

sonnybobiche
24th October 2017, 14:55
nice interview with Ogier https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrally/videos/831574633671868/

Man, Ogier has become enormously more likable in the last couple of years.

Myrvold
24th October 2017, 21:56
Man, Ogier has become enormously more likable in the last couple of years.

At least when he is in front of cameras etc.

L555MAT
25th October 2017, 07:27
Interesting what he said about the politics within Citroen during his time there. Id love to find out more about what went on. He also seemed to great pride when Colin and David said they thought it was his presence that has brought Ott and Elfyn on as drivers which was great to see.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st February 2018, 12:06
Not a CC podcast but he appears on Absolute Rally this week:
https://www.podbean.com/media/player/txf2c-8631bc-pb?vjs=1

Please give them a listen and a Like as they need them for funding.

KiwiWRCfan
20th February 2018, 23:46
Colin's take on Rally Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=ZQrrDLP1Cws

wwbroe
21st February 2018, 10:25
Colin's take on Rally Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=ZQrrDLP1Cws

I think there is a lot of sence in Colin's review of Sweden Rally. Great stuff also that he is also mentioning the funding for Ewrc.http://www.motorsportforums.com/images/icons/icon14.png