PDA

View Full Version : Neste Rally Finland 2017

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DonJippo
23rd March 2017, 11:15
Route for the 2017 Neste Rally Finland http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/en/rally/uutiset/neste-rallin-reitti-2017-superperjantain-hurjat-kilometrit-ja-lauantain-kaannetyt-erikoiskokeet-ovat-ratkaisunpaikkoja/

MTA
23rd March 2017, 11:36
It looks as good as 2016! :)

Franky
23rd March 2017, 13:10
What have they cut off of Ouninpohja?

Googol
23rd March 2017, 13:15

TV I guess.

Hartusvuori
23rd March 2017, 13:56

What = Last 10 k's, the smaller road.
Why = Live TV.

Hartusvuori
23rd March 2017, 14:37
Rally Finland is playing it safe this year. There a number of minor changes, but nothing really major have changed since last year. From the spectators' point of view this is very nicely scheduled. It's up to your own fit and actions, but it's easily possible to see four stages on Friday and 3-4 stages of Saturday and two stages on Sunday. If you want to run a bit more, more is possible.

It is quite fair to assume this will be the fastest edition of Rally Finland. Ouninpohja without Pitkäjärventie should measure around 135 km/h or more per average. Stage returnees Laukaa and Urria were 121 km/h and 129 km/h on average the last time they were ran in 2011. Last year's slowest proper stage Surkee is out of the rally for now. There is not a single stage (apart from SSS Harju) with an average speed of less than 121 km/h in previous years. Several (Ouninpohja, Päijälä, Pihlajakoski, Oittila, Äänekoski) have been over or just under 130 km/h.

Goes without saying, the fever is already rising. :-)

Rallyper
23rd March 2017, 20:49
Pity they couldn´t start Saalahti about one K earlier. Wonderful spot for spectators at the place.

pantealex
28th March 2017, 11:32
From RG1 classes:

NAT4
FIN R 4WD (not WRC based) FIN N 4WD

NAT2
FIN R 2WD up to 2000cc

All cars in NAT4 and NAT2 classes must be accepted by the FIA, as per FIA WRC regula ons, Art. 4.4. Only cars with expired interna onal FIA homologa on will be accepted. Compe tors in these classes are not eligible for any Championship points.

and there is also support race:

14.1 Vetomies - National Event
A na onal rally will be organised in conjunc on with Neste Rally Finland, using Harju on Friday and Saturday’s stages in the rally between the two runs in the rally proper (some of them twice!). Both two- and four-wheel-drive cars with expired interna onal homologa ons and Finnish na onal homologa ons will be entertaining the crowds. These cars have proved to be very popular among our spectators in previous years, and we are sure they will o er us memorable entertainment this year, too!
For more informa on, follow our website and @Vetomies on Twi er.

AL14
28th March 2017, 13:32
Is there ever a chance to have this rally in august? I'm doomed to watch it on the television as long as it is in July. :( :(

pantealex
28th March 2017, 16:19
Is there ever a chance to have this rally in august? I'm doomed to watch it on the television as long as it is in July. :( :(

In the past it was always in August (that good old 1000Lakes time)

Hartusvuori
28th March 2017, 18:41

It was originally planned on an August date this year, but because Rally Germany couldn't be pushed further a week due to Nato wargame in Baumholder area, both Finland and Germany stayed in their more common slots. Though, if it'll be in August next year, it'll be the first weekend of August, not later in the month as in the past.

AL14
28th March 2017, 22:07
It was originally planned on an August date this year, but because Rally Germany couldn't be pushed further a week due to Nato wargame in Baumholder area, both Finland and Germany stayed in their more common slots. Though, if it'll be in August next year, it'll be the first weekend of August, not later in the month as in the past.

Seriously? Jesus Christ, What wants NATO? Go away! :)
I hope next year it will change!

Andre Oliveira
29th March 2017, 11:49
Blasfemy one rally like Germany afect the historic 1000 Lakes. Hope soon one better tarmac rally replace that one...

Hartusvuori
29th March 2017, 12:02
Seriously? Jesus Christ, What wants NATO? Go away! :)
I hope next year it will change!

Yes - Original calendar was Rally Finland on August 3-6, the week before AutoGlym Rally (practice event) and two weeks before Historic ERC Lahti. Because of this NATO thinguee, Rally Finland returned to the last weekend in July, ERC Lahti stayed in its place as it was confirmed on FIA calendar already and AutoGlym Rally happens now two weeks before Rally Finland, making it a tad worse practice event. This all was published in Finnish ASN calendar, but eventually changed at one point. NATO thing was spoken out loud in radio program in February.

pantealex
30th May 2017, 16:51
Entries are open and will close 27.6 at 6pm

http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/en/competitors/

from that link you will also find Regulations and RG1

one interesting thing in regulations is list of allowed cars in NATIONAL classes (all old S2000 are OK)

AL14
30th May 2017, 17:44

So now that Trump is fighting with Merkel, do you think there is a chance NATO will go away and we will have Finland in august? :D

pantealex
2nd June 2017, 08:25
Entries are open and will close 27.6 at 6pm

http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/en/competitors/

from that link you will also find Regulations and RG1

one interesting thing in regulations is list of allowed cars in NATIONAL classes (all old S2000 are OK)

and now entries also open for support race "VETOMIES", will close 26.6 midnight

2 classes 4wd and 2wd

Nelivetomies, Yleinen ja A-Juniorit
Luokka 1 FIN R 4WD (sis.vanhentuneet KV-luokitukset ryhmissä A, Super
2000 ja WRC) yli 2000 cm3
FIN N 4WD (N ja R4 kansallisin erivapauksin) yli 2000 cm3

Vetomies, Yleinen ja A-Juniorit
Luokka 2 F enintään 3000 cm3
FIN R 2WD enintään 2000 cm3
V1600 enintään 1600 cm3

No "LEX KALLE" in regulations, so Kalle Rovanperä can not start with R5, he has to drive something older (he has Starlet and C2R2 in garage)

This year they can take more than 70 entries for VETOMIES

AnttiL
2nd June 2017, 08:53
No "LEX KALLE" in regulations, so Kalle Rovanperä can not start with R5, he has to drive something older (he has Starlet and C2R2 in garage)

I'm guessing he'll rent a Skoda Fabia S2000

tpt010
2nd June 2017, 14:33
Kalle won't participate according to this: http://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/201706012200174262_ri.shtml

pantealex
2nd June 2017, 15:05
I'm guessing he'll rent a Skoda Fabia S2000

if they can find one without FIA parts, only outdated ones are allowed, FIA spec´s not.

AnttiL
7th June 2017, 09:32
http://areena.yle.fi/1-4151824

Juha Kankkunen presents SS10 Lankamaa, the stage closest to his home. The commentary is in Finnish but for the most part he says "here you can drive all flat out with these cars". The interesting thing about the stage is that most of the road has been plowed into an esker in the forest and there are no ditches, and the road changes its character many times during the stage even between junction turns. It's supposedly going to be slippery for the first car. Interesting fact, Kankkunen has been working there when the road was being built in the 1970's for foresting.

3:30 Place where Auriol broke a wheel in 1989
5:40 Hirvonen hit a tree with a Ford
6:52 McRae's first roll in 1992
13:10 Hirvonen crash 2011
16:49 Galli crashed, Paasonen tried to go past and went to a ditch
17:04 Kankkunen's roll in 1994
19:12 "there probably will be an obstacle in the ditch so you cannot cut"

Yeh, probably will be the most challenging stage of the Friday.

pantealex
9th June 2017, 14:02
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web_090617.pdf

First entries published

[WRCRR]
15th June 2017, 13:58
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web_090617.pdf

First entries published

Updated today: http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web_150617.pdf

pantealex
15th June 2017, 18:25
This years "future star" winner is Emil Lindholm (prize is JWRC entry)

Former "future stars" (and what will they drive years Rally Finland)
2014 Teemu Suninen (Fiesta WRC17)
2015 Jari Huttunen (Fabia R5)
2016 Juuso Nordgren (Fabia R5)

pantealex
19th June 2017, 15:50
;1142473']Updated today: http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web_150617.pdf

updated today:
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4127/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web.pdf

City of Jyväskylä has made today hosting deal for 2018-2020 years Rally Finland.

sghiwosh81
19th June 2017, 17:16
this year i Will come in finland for the first time and I would like to know what a good program for Friday would be...

Do you have some access in particular to advise me?

Many thanks

Ivan

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Thousandlakes
19th June 2017, 19:41
Good news but contract with FIA is just until 2018.
I am not so worried about year 19 and 20. We will see wrc level on those years aswell. I am quite sure about it.

updated today:
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4127/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web.pdf

City of Jyväskylä has made today hosting deal for 2018-2020 years Rally Finland.

racerx1979
19th June 2017, 19:46
My wife and I will also be spectating this year in Finland. Any tips would be great. We are hoping to see shakedown as well.

Last year we went and were able to get pretty deep into the stages where marshals were non existent. Not sure about this year.

janvanvurpa
19th June 2017, 19:54
http://areena.yle.fi/1-4151824

Juha Kankkunen presents SS10 Lankamaa, the stage closest to his home. The commentary is in Finnish but for the most part he says "here you can drive all flat out with these cars". The interesting thing about the stage is that most of the road has been plowed into an esker in the forest and there are no ditches, and the road changes its character many times during the stage even between junction turns. It's supposedly going to be slippery for the first car. Interesting fact, Kankkunen has been working there when the road was being built in the 1970's for foresting.

3:30 Place where Auriol broke a wheel in 1989
5:40 Hirvonen hit a tree with a Ford
6:52 McRae's first roll in 1992
13:10 Hirvonen crash 2011
16:49 Galli crashed, Paasonen tried to go past and went to a ditch
17:04 Kankkunen's roll in 1994
19:12 "there probably will be an obstacle in the ditch so you cannot cut"

Yeh, probably will be the most challenging stage of the Friday.

Hej Antii, do you know if there will be any guest star for F-cup boys this year?? I know a guy in that country just west of you,, paaska what is it called?/satan I forget, the long skinny one Ruotsalainen something (dom snackar nån konstig språk dör borta) but he's curious to go over with his bad-ass Golf is there is event for F-cup.
Any ideas? or link to regs?

AnttiL
19th June 2017, 20:32
Hej Antii, do you know if there will be any guest star for F-cup boys this year?? I know a guy in that country just west of you,, paaska what is it called?/satan I forget, the long skinny one Ruotsalainen something (dom snackar nån konstig språk dör borta) but he's curious to go over with his bad-ass Golf is there is event for F-cup.
Any ideas? or link to regs?

https://akk.autourheilu.fi//Public/Kiti/Competition/CompetitionOpen.aspx?id=4841&edit=0

You might have to click on the fourth tab "osallistujat". Var så god!

Hasselhoax
21st June 2017, 09:04
Some small tips to first visitors:

Get early to the stages, preferably before the road closes. If going for the first time then don't rush between stages. I've been to Rally Finland for 10 years and only one time have I stressed between stages and that was not fun. Instead, come early, find a good spot, bring something to sit on, drink and eat. Don't forget a radio to be able to listen to the Rally Radio.

The designated spots are sometimes ok but sometimes very, very bad and my personal view is that organizers should instead mark out places which are a absolute no-go (plus outside of corners of course) and then let people spread out. I've been in very safe spots and been chased away because it was "not behind the ribbon"...

Walk away on the stage and find a nice safe spot for yourself. Keep a good distance from the road to keep off the radar of the Marshalls and then come closer when the cars arrive.

This year the ittenary is very nice and allows to watch one double-run stage in the morning-midday and one more in the afternoon with time for a (real) lunch break in between, since they run something like 3 double stages before lunch and 3 in the afternoon which is very nice.

Bring cash in the car since parking usually is 5 EUR.

Buy a portable USB mobile charger which you recharge at home so you can charge your phone in the forest.

Don't speed. The police always stand with radars between stages and the fines for speeding in Finland are high.

Have fun!

Feel free to fill in.

AnttiL
21st June 2017, 09:29
This year the ittenary is very nice and allows to watch one double-run stage in the morning-midday and one more in the afternoon with time for a (real) lunch break in between, since they run something like 3 double stages before lunch and 3 in the afternoon which is very nice..

This is on friday. Saturday is run as 2x4 stages but the stages are run in different order on the second loop so there's 8 hours between the two runs of Pihlajakoski and Päijälä, 5 hours between the two Ouninpohjas. Saalahti is the last stage of the first loop and the first stage of the last loop so that's probably the only double stage you can take advantage of realistically

[WRCRR]
22nd June 2017, 08:44
updated today:
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web_220617.pdf

Entry update.

Hartusvuori
22nd June 2017, 09:49
Some small tips to first visitors:
The designated spots are sometimes ok but sometimes very, very bad and my personal view is that organizers should instead mark out places which are a absolute no-go (plus outside of corners of course) and then let people spread out. I've been in very safe spots and been chased away because it was "not behind the ribbon"...

Some very good points there. About official spectating points, it's good to realize organizers must place official areas in line with Finnish safety legistation/standards/whatnot - meaning for example that there must be a driveable escape road to the official area. This absolutely narrows down a lot of options and means a lot of offical areas are in junctions.

Good thing is that in Rally Finland spectating is no way limited to official areas only. Marshalls are keen to hush you away from the road after one hour before the first car, but then again marshalls are not everywhere and if you behave well, most of them are easy to co-operate with. Of course there are absurd examples when spectators have not been allowed in some safe spots, and then again every year spectarors themselves must marshall first timers away from dangerous places, like I did last year on the second run of Surkee stage where one spectators wanted to spectate on the spot where Jon Armstrong destroyed his car on the first run.

One yearly debate is always also about mosquitos and horseflies. :-) We do monitor the situation closely and do our best to eliminate excess before the event :-) This year summer is three weeks late compared to last year and 1-2 weeks late compared to average, so probably more mosquitos this time around.

racerx1979
22nd June 2017, 15:04
Any tips on keeping the damn mosquitos away? My wife and I had dozens of bites last year even when using mosquito spray. Is there some Finnish secret sauce we can apply?

Essaj
22nd June 2017, 15:23
Any tips on keeping the damn mosquitos away? My wife and I had dozens of bites last year even when using mosquito spray. Is there some Finnish secret sauce we can apply?

Finnish special sauce = Beer. Drink six pack, you don't care about mosquitos anymore.

racerx1979
22nd June 2017, 15:30
I drank plenty of scotch last year and will continue to do so this year. I think I'll be buying one of those mosquito hats we wear in Australia

bugwrx
22nd June 2017, 15:38
Bens 100 is quite effective for mosquitos. You can google if you can get it where you are.

Franky
22nd June 2017, 16:30
The most effective weapon against mosquitos is ... your hand. Using your hand instead of chemicals also produces greater good to the temporary international community in the Finnish forests as the population of mosquitos may be drastically reduced.

Hasselhoax
22nd June 2017, 23:38
This works very well. You light it on fire and let it smoke. No real chance of starting a fire.

If you by chance find a deodorant from the same manufacturers then use that. It's the best thing ever. I covered myself in that while in the armed forces in Finland.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170622/765ec580a0c866cca825d7cf5b7ca757.jpg

racerx1979
23rd June 2017, 01:06
I remember those things when growing up in Kenya. I will bring a few along and use them in the woods. Thanks for the tips!!

pantealex
26th June 2017, 09:11
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web_260617.pdf

Latest update of entries (26.6 11am)

3x Citroen C3 WRCS (Meeke, Breen and AL-QASSIMI ;) )

EstWRC
26th June 2017, 09:20
whatever citroen.....

AnttiL
26th June 2017, 09:21

Now that's an interesting choice...although I must point that the car is entered as Citroen C3 WRC, not WRCS.

rallyfiend
26th June 2017, 09:35
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_list_of_received_entries_web_260617.pdf

Well, it's Breen's turn to get dropped and the entry list to get changed based on recent events....

aykutbilir
26th June 2017, 11:53
It is funny to see Mikkelsen out and Meeke in..
Boring Citroen really

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone araclyla gönderildi

Watson
26th June 2017, 12:01
Now that's an interesting choice...although I must point that the car is entered as Citroen C3 WRC, not WRCS.

Two and a half men:

Alan (to some woman): I have a Porsche.
Charlie: It's a Boxster.
Alan: Boxster S!!!

AnttiL
26th June 2017, 12:09
Two and a half men:

Alan (to some woman): I have a Porsche.
Charlie: It's a Boxster.
Alan: Boxster S!!!

Hehe. But it's interesting that the new joker model should be titled WRCS, so have they entered the old models because they don't know if the new joker model will be better?

Watson
26th June 2017, 12:17
Hehe. But it's interesting that the new joker model should be titled WRCS, so have they entered the old models because they don't know if the new joker model will be better?

I have my doubts they can actually officially change the name of the car at all.

pantealex
26th June 2017, 13:52

update 16pm today, 13x WRC now.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th June 2017, 15:27
@TomCave
...and the exciting news is we've entered @RallyFinland driving a @HMSGOfficial #i20 R5, our 1st @OfficialWRC event in the car #cantwait!

STI69
27th June 2017, 15:42
Have I missed something but shouldn't Teemu Suninen be also on that list?

Watson
27th June 2017, 15:47

That's what I thought.

Allez Andruet
27th June 2017, 17:38

He will be there, don't worry.

pantealex
28th June 2017, 08:33
Still many "known" names missing from that list:
WRC: Östberg, Suninen
R5: Cave, Jari Kihlman i20 R5, Vatanen, Greensmith, Loubet, (Pryce? Gilbert?)
all JWRC drivers

We can only wait for update.

pantealex
28th June 2017, 08:36
https://akk.autourheilu.fi//Public/Kiti/Competition/CompetitionOpen.aspx?id=4841&edit=0

You might have to click on the fourth tab "osallistujat". Var så god!

Support race Vetomies has 65 entries (organization can take still more if they want)

Hartusvuori
28th June 2017, 08:36
There will be a news piece about the entry list later today. FIA approved draft will be published on Friday.

Hartusvuori
28th June 2017, 10:34
A WRC 2017 entry for Rally Finland warm-up event AutoGlym Rally will be published in about a moment. Rumours about Neuville, Lappi and/or Suninen.

This event has already some nice names from WRC2 category: Huttunen, Nordgren, Veiby, Greensmith, Katsuta, Arai, ...

Andre Oliveira
28th June 2017, 10:58
I hope Suninen and Lappi, to get more WRC mileage

Hartusvuori
28th June 2017, 11:04
I hope Suninen and Lappi, to get more WRC mileage

Lappi will get decent test mileage for sure.

AnttiL
28th June 2017, 11:27
A WRC 2017 entry for Rally Finland warm-up event AutoGlym Rally will be published in about a moment. Rumours about Neuville, Lappi and/or Suninen.

And Neuville it is. http://www.urheiluuutiset.com/autoglym-ralli-hyundai-ja-thierry-neuville-kilpailevat-sastamalassa

Neuville's quote
– Odotan innolla AutoGlym-rallia. Suomen MM-ralli on siitä erikoinen ralli, että siellä on vaikeinta päästä heti oikeaan rytmiin, koska nopeudet ovat suuria ja tarvitset paljon itseluottamusta. AutoGlym-rallin ajaminen auttaa Nicolasta ja minua (valmistautumisessa) varmasti. Odotan myös, että muitakin talleja saapuisi paikalle, jotta saisimme nähdä millaista kenenkin vauhti on

translates to: "I'm looking forward into AutoGlym rally. Rally Finland is special in the way that it's the hardest to find the correct rhythm from the start because the speeds are high and you need a lot of confidence. Driving AutoGlym rally helps me and Nicolas for sure (to prepare). I also expect other teams to join so we could see how the speeds are for each one."

Hartusvuori
28th June 2017, 11:43
AutoGlym entries close next Tuesday. I'm expecting more WRC2017, though just a gut feeling for now.

This event takes place two weeks before Rally Finland and runs for one day near Tampere. They have a shakedown on Friday. Eight stages, 110 kms.

Andre Oliveira
28th June 2017, 11:48
Autoglym provesional biggest names

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDZxoXWXoAAVe-H?format=jpg&name=large

racerx1979
28th June 2017, 16:20
Anyone know where one can purchase tshirts to win a chance to co-drive with Marcus Gromholm? I saw a post on this thread but it doesn't work for me.

Did some digging in and realized I have to purchase from a Finnish supplier called Motonet :(. The website is in Finnish and I don't think they ship internationally. Would be awesome to win this and sit in a 2017 Yaris with Marcus driving. Wonder if he will be driving a test car or a new car.

http://www.grxfamily.com/kartturikampanja

Hartusvuori
28th June 2017, 21:42
Anyone know where one can purchase tshirts to win a chance to co-drive with Marcus Gromholm? I saw a post on this thread but it doesn't work for me.

Did some digging in and realized I have to purchase from a Finnish supplier called Motonet :(. The website is in Finnish and I don't think they ship internationally. Would be awesome to win this and sit in a 2017 Yaris with Marcus driving. Wonder if he will be driving a test car or a new car.

http://www.grxfamily.com/kartturikampanja

Motonet does not ship internationally, a friend asked. So that leaves only limited options, narrowing down to visiting Finland for shopping well before Rally Finland or getting someone to ship a shirt for you.

racerx1979
29th June 2017, 02:57
Good to know, thank you. I know rally instructor in a Finland. I might have him order a shirt for me and my wife. We arrive on the 24th which is the last day so it's cutting it close.

satnav
29th June 2017, 22:50
I see the Roadbook is now on the site , pity it's password protected ......

http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4186/roadbook2017_day1.pdf

KKS
30th June 2017, 06:06
In the internet you can find some program to find a password for PDF-files ;)

pantealex
30th June 2017, 09:30
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_entry_list_fia_approved.pdf

ENTRYLIST

AnttiL
30th June 2017, 09:37
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_entry_list_fia_approved.pdf

ENTRYLIST

No surprises to what we already knew

RS
30th June 2017, 09:43
No works Skoda in Finland??

HarriK
30th June 2017, 09:46
Again same that skoda works doesn't like Rally Finland...

RS
30th June 2017, 09:52

Why do you say that? Haven't they attended most recent years?

pantealex
30th June 2017, 10:13
No surprises to what we already knew

Raoux and Scandola were surprises to me in positive way but there where many which I was expecting to make an entry (Al-Rajhi, Nikara, local 2wd ..., some Swedish drivers)

pantealex
30th June 2017, 10:16
No works Skoda in Finland??

Tidemand has done all his "free" rallies

and they as a team can´t score more team points, Tidemand is driving for Motorsport II in Poland.

Andre Oliveira
30th June 2017, 10:31
Entry list: http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4127/2017_nrf_entry_list_fia_approved.pdf

[WRCRR]
30th June 2017, 10:40
Somewhat disappointing entry. Numbers wise it's the worst ever (modern era at least, not totally sure for the early years), 65 entries - so likely 60-62 will start. Also, the non-seeded drivers are 90% total tourists as even the best local 2WD drivers have mostly not entered, as pantealex already mentioned. WRC2 entry is decent but even there we are lacking the best cars, the factory Skoda's.

And what the hell are Citroën doing running Al Qassimi in the third car instead of fourth? It's like they are not even trying anymore...Lefevbre must be pissed (likely Mikkelsen as well). Seriously thinking they might quit after this season...

pantealex
30th June 2017, 13:55
;1144521']Somewhat disappointing entry. Numbers wise it's the worst ever (modern era at least, not totally sure for the early years), 65 entries - so likely 60-62 will start. Also, the non-seeded drivers are 90% total tourists as even the best local 2WD drivers have mostly not entered, as pantealex already mentioned. WRC2 entry is decent but even there we are lacking the best cars, the factory Skoda's.

And what the hell are Citroën doing running Al Qassimi in the third car instead of fourth? It's like they are not even trying anymore...Lefevbre must be pissed (likely Mikkelsen as well). Seriously thinking they might quit after this season...

11 entries less than 2016. ("all" of those DS3´s), infact 2017 list has more RC2 than 2016.

Simmi
30th June 2017, 14:07
WRC2 doesn't really have a lot of 'star quality' let's say but definitely some up and coming young guns. It could actually make for a far more entertaining battle across the rally. And I believe we are guaranteed a first-time winner in the class. Better than Tidemand romping away to win.

[WRCRR]
30th June 2017, 14:45
11 entries less than 2016. ("all" of those DS3´s), infact 2017 list has more RC2 than 2016.

11 less starters, there where couple of more entries also last year. 19 less than in 2015. But sure this is nitpicking, of course the entry is decent enough. It's just that I was hoping for better.

Still, have to say that the possibility to enter with only nationally homologated car - which the organizers drummed up somewhat - was a total joke, a single car entered - a Suzuki Swift :D

In general, I am certain AKK Sports in not totally happy with these numbers...

Mirek
30th June 2017, 16:02

How again?

They won both 2016 and 2015 and before they were committed to other championships. In 2011 when they did PWRC as semi-works team they did and win Finland too. Therefore this is the first time they skip Finland. I guess they want to enjoy some holidays before Germany and Barum which are the most important events for them.

AnttiL
30th June 2017, 17:12
How again?

They won both 2016 and 2015 and before they were committed to other championships. In 2011 when they did PWRC as semi-works team they did and win Finland too. Therefore this is the first time they skip Finland. I guess they want to enjoy some holidays before Germany and Barum which are the most important events for them.

Plus they've basically got the championship in their pocket. No need to contest additional events.

AnttiL
30th June 2017, 17:20
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzAAk7FOZZK8aXo53flddAg

Stage videos, showing for example the new chicanes for Ouninpohja

Hartusvuori
30th June 2017, 17:47
WRC2 doesn't really have a lot of 'star quality' let's say but definitely some up and coming young guns. It could actually make for a far more entertaining battle across the rally. And I believe we are guaranteed a first-time winner in the class. Better than Tidemand romping away to win.

Exactly. From Finnish point of view some interesting names there. Jari Huttunen to make a debut in WRC2. Juuso Nordgren also to measure his speed. He was 2nd in his FRC 4WD debut and won (ok, after Kalle) his 2nd event. Also we have our FRC leader Teemu Asunmaa. Some other names are not half that bad and definitily provide an entertainment value. I would've welcomed Tidemand and Mikkelsen to provide measure for speed, but hey, this is what we get. For me, Rally Finland is about people anyway.

Rallyper
30th June 2017, 18:20
How again?

However, this is the most dangerous way of ruling a team or a company. Get rested and think you´re the best, often means you are declining on a scale.

Mirek
30th June 2017, 18:55
However, this is the most dangerous way of ruling a team or a company. Get rested and think you´re the best, often means you are declining on a scale.

Sorry Per, but You can't mean this iseriously, can You? Maybe You haven't noticed that only 7 events count into classification of WRC2 while there are 13 on the calendar.

They won every single rally this year, that is already 7 victories of 7 events. What more could they achieve? Bad management really?

Rallyper
1st July 2017, 18:04
Ok. So are they quitting after 2017? To me every rally counts in your way to develop and to measure your standard. No team can stop doing that, even if they´re winning all the time. One day they will be catched up by others.

satnav
1st July 2017, 18:27
Very true Per , the old saying is " Never rest on your laurels " ..........

Supercotts
2nd July 2017, 09:29
Hi,

I am attending my first Finnish Rally later this month. I have accomodation in Jyväskylä and have hired a car to get around.

Would those who have attended before please advise on the best stages to attend, how easy it is got get from stage to stage by car and just general advice that is not covered on the official website.

Any help would really be appreciated

2nd July 2017, 10:06
Hi,

I am attending my first Finnish Rally later this month. I have accomodation in Jyväskylä and have hired a car to get around.

Would those who have attended before please advise on the best stages to attend, how easy it is got get from stage to stage by car and just general advice that is not covered on the official website.

The big jumps at the end of Ruuhimäki (Shakedown) are pretty cool

racerx1979
2nd July 2017, 10:13
I'm in the same boat as Supercotts. Will be in a hire car searching for good stages. Keep the suggestions coming!!

jbmarcus21
2nd July 2017, 13:12
Google Earth Map is out → http://bit.ly/2mvKEYo

ernestcooke91
2nd July 2017, 13:58
Hi,

I'm also in the same boat as Supercotts & racerx1979. It's my first time attending Rally Finland I would also greatly appreciate any suggestions any of you have.

Does anyone have/know the itinerary for the Vetomies (National) Rally? I know that it uses the Harju stage on the Friday and the Saturday stages.

Mirek
2nd July 2017, 14:58
Ok. So are they quitting after 2017? To me every rally counts in your way to develop and to measure your standard. No team can stop doing that, even if they´re winning all the time. One day they will be catched up by others.

Sorry Per but You seem to live in some parallel universe. They do WRC2, their target is to win WRC2 and for sure they didn't get pre-season budget from the company for doing twice more events than WRC2 has. Just why?

And that they skip once Finland? So why is that a problem? The guys are whole year away from their families why can't they just take a break and enjoy some holidays when everything so far has been going better than good?

Rallyper
2nd July 2017, 17:17
Sorry Per but You seem to live in some parallel universe. They do WRC2, their target is to win WRC2 and for sure they didn't get pre-season budget from the company for doing twice more events than WRC2 has. Just why?

And that they skip once Finland? So why is that a problem? The guys are whole year away from their families why can't they just take a break and enjoy some holidays when everything so far has been going better than good?

Sure, why not take a break when seasons best rally comes up.

Mirek
2nd July 2017, 17:30
Yes, Finnish car market is so huge that it's better to skip Germany or Poland. Sure.

Rallyper
2nd July 2017, 18:20
Yes, Finnish car market is so huge that it's better to skip Germany or Poland. Sure.

Mirek, are you doing NRF this year? Nice to meet up. ;)

AnttiL
2nd July 2017, 19:35
Some chicanes from the official recce videos:

Ouninpohja:
https://youtu.be/zRbUc_qbvbc?t=4m30s
https://youtu.be/zRbUc_qbvbc?t=13m23s
https://youtu.be/zRbUc_qbvbc?t=15m9s
Pihlajakoski:
https://youtu.be/1C4kgYi-FyU?t=7m23s

Pro tip: use youtube 2xspeed to get some rally feel :cool:

Sulland
2nd July 2017, 20:40
Tom Cave, i20 in Wrc2, entered by Adapta Motorsport.
Is that a typo?

samWRC
3rd July 2017, 06:05
Tom Cave, i20 in Wrc2, entered by Adapta Motorsport.
Is that a typo?
I don't know for sure but I assume it might be cheaper to enter under a team which is already entered to the championship. We have seen these kind of "odd" entrants before for example in Rally GB last few years.

pantealex
3rd July 2017, 08:28
Hi,

Some basic things:
-Buy official rally-magazine (Tuulilasi), it has good overall map and separate stage maps. Driving directions and spectator tips in ENGLISH.
-Prepare to pay for parking or prepare to walk from long distance.
-Listen rally radio (99,3mhz), it tells all important stuff also in English (traffic, possible schedule changes and results)
-Be ready to change your plans during rally, traffic jams are very difficult to know. Some years from Jyväskylä to Jämsä takes 45min and sometimes 2h30min...

There are no bad stages in Rally Finland, every stages has some good viewing points. You have to choose based on what kind of action you like: Jumps, crossings, high speed action etc.
Maybe some non Finnish people are better to tell some tips because us finns live here everyday.

AnttiL
3rd July 2017, 08:56
Watched the rest of the recce videos for chicanes. Some of them are innovative, like going around a triangle-shaped junction. The rest are just junctions to the side that will have a hay bale for an artificial twist on a straight road.

Jukojärvi
https://youtu.be/W8rtWSU5OKo?t=6m15s
https://youtu.be/W8rtWSU5OKo?t=10m53s
https://youtu.be/W8rtWSU5OKo?t=16m56s

Halinen:
https://youtu.be/G3mstyTpEdQ?t=3m33s a good triangle example
https://youtu.be/G3mstyTpEdQ?t=5m41s

Laukaa:
https://youtu.be/kU-wR5YJI28?t=1m42s
https://youtu.be/kU-wR5YJI28?t=4m49s
https://youtu.be/kU-wR5YJI28?t=11m44s

Lankamaa:
https://youtu.be/W-Xgojt_bBM?t=7m12s
https://youtu.be/W-Xgojt_bBM?t=9m7s

Äänekoski-Valtra:
https://youtu.be/t28rP0RE1lI?t=4m45s

Oittila:
https://youtu.be/l_VANqi9tSs?t=6m15s
https://youtu.be/l_VANqi9tSs?t=7m26s

Nothing for Saalahti or Lempää.

Mirek
3rd July 2017, 09:38
Mirek, are you doing NRF this year? Nice to meet up. ;)

No, I'm not even though I'm sure it's going to be a superb event. Frankly I don't like flying and that's why I mostly go to the events which are easier to reach by car.

Rallyper
3rd July 2017, 10:07
No, I'm not even though I'm sure it's going to be a superb event. Frankly I don't like flying and that's why I mostly go to the events which are easier to reach by car.

So, you´ve never been to Finland then. Bcs, it´s not only about flying (yes it´s the sign of the rally - but almost all has flying high as their sign). Finland has it all. And no problem reaching stages by car. I´d say the opposite. Easy.
Having said that as a Swede, but I´m sure my finnish friends agree. :)

AnttiL
3rd July 2017, 10:24

It's only a couple of days by train and ferry through Germany, Denmark and Sweden from Prague, I've done it myself.

Or then you can drive through Via Baltica, not sure if that's faster though.

Take that as an adventure, a journey.

Mirek
3rd July 2017, 10:28
I was in Finland in 2011 and it was great but I really don't like sitting in a plane and by car it's very far to drive up to Finland. Maybe one day as a road trip through Baltics.

PLuto
3rd July 2017, 11:33
Sure, why not take a break when seasons best rally comes up.

Maybe they are not counting Finland as seasons best rally ;) I dont know why, but as far as I know, they were planning to miss Finland since beginning.

samWRC
3rd July 2017, 11:41
Maybe they are not counting Finland as seasons best rally ;) I dont know why, but as far as I know, they were planning to miss Finland since beginning.
Maybe they simply think it's too hard for them :D

Mirek
3rd July 2017, 11:50
Maybe they simply think it's too hard for them :D

After winning it every time they tried?

samWRC
3rd July 2017, 12:11
After winning it every time they tried?

But doesn't it sound weird that they skip Finland but they attend almost all other events this season. Okay probably they won't go to Australia but there is a good reason for that.

sghiwosh81
3rd July 2017, 12:32
There are no bad stages in Rally Finland, every stages has some good viewing points. You have to choose based on what kind of action you like: Jumps, crossings, high speed action etc.
Maybe some non Finnish people are better to tell some tips because us finns live here everyday.

I will only be present on Friday, what special may be interesting to see jumps? Halinen, Urria or Jukojärvi?thanks from Italy

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Mirek
3rd July 2017, 12:46
But doesn't it sound weird that they skip Finland but they attend almost all other events this season. Okay probably they won't go to Australia but there is a good reason for that.

No, it's not strange. I understand that people don't like it but there is nothing strange from their point of view about skipping Finland.

pantealex
3rd July 2017, 14:26
https://akk.autourheilu.fi/Public/Kiti/Competition/CompetitionEnrollListPlain.aspx?id=4841

Vetomies entry list with numbers, this year 2wd will start first (and only foreign competitor last)

Looks like nice fight between RWD and FWD cars, fast drivers in both types.

AnttiL
3rd July 2017, 17:38
The Friday itinerary is brilliant, something different to most events. The first loop has three stages which are immediately repeated before the midpoint service. The same is then done for another three stages on the afternoon loop (one of them only once). This will probably make it more difficult for the drivers to adapt to the different grip and road conditino without going to the service inbetween.

Meanwhile, the Saturday itinerary is a bit weird with four stages in a loop but the second loop having them repeated in different order...what's the idea behind that?

pantealex
3rd July 2017, 19:01
Meanwhile, the Saturday itinerary is a bit weird with four stages in a loop but the second loop having them repeated in different order...what's the idea behind that?

Maybe:
- it could be hard for rallycars in afternoon traffic, easier to stay in schedule when direction is opposite
or
-they believe that spectators move less when ie. Saalahti1 and 2 are close in time. They want spectators divide, others go to Jyväskylä service park after Saalahti2 and others towards Jämsä

(You should ask about it, Kai Tarkiainen or Kari Nuutinen will answer in Twitter)

Andre Oliveira
3rd July 2017, 23:07
Tests in end of this week or beggining of next week?

EstWRC
4th July 2017, 06:10
Msport starting in three weeks

AnttiL
4th July 2017, 06:15
Msport starting in three weeks

The whole rally starts in three weeks from now :D

EstWRC
4th July 2017, 06:21
My bad, in two weeks then.

AnttiL
4th July 2017, 06:35
Hyundai already did their Finland tests earlier in the summer.

TWRC
4th July 2017, 08:45
https://akk.autourheilu.fi/Public/Kiti/Competition/CompetitionEnrollListPlain.aspx?id=4841

Vetomies entry list with numbers, this year 2wd will start first (and only foreign competitor last)

Looks like nice fight between RWD and FWD cars, fast drivers in both types.
Also it is nice to see that the two Step2 Lancer WRCs will be there, bit of a shame Vihavainen is not driving, I would be interested in his times compared to newer cars.

pantealex
4th July 2017, 09:44
Also it is nice to see that the two Step2 Lancer WRCs will be there, bit of a shame Vihavainen is not driving, I would be interested in his times compared to newer cars.

Well, Vihavainen is well over 50y old...
His deal with that WRC02 has ended, probably driving FabiaR5 next.

sindroms
4th July 2017, 14:44
Judging from recce on-board video SS 15/21 Paijala toward the end has changed - https://youtu.be/Q7u-J02KB-c
Till 16:48 all is in accordence to - https://www.rally-maps.com/Rally-Finland-2017/Päijälä and same route as in 2014. After then stage turns in to Aulusniementie road and after loop comes back to the main road.
Two spectacular places become less spectacular now...

AnttiL
4th July 2017, 15:45
Judging from recce on-board video SS 15/21 Paijala toward the end has changed - https://youtu.be/Q7u-J02KB-c
Till 16:48 all is in accordence to - https://www.rally-maps.com/Rally-Finland-2017/Päijälä and same route as in 2014. After then stage turns in to Aulusniementie road and after loop comes back to the main road.

They needed to slow it down. No chicanes needed.

Rallyper
4th July 2017, 16:04

However a couple of spectacular places added in that "chicane" route...

pantealex
4th July 2017, 16:31
However a couple of spectacular places added in that "chicane" route...

Very narrow, some stones visible even now.

Could be hard to get there and maid be difficult (or impossible) to find good spectating place.

janvanvurpa
4th July 2017, 17:34
Hej Panty... wait a minute..what kind of nick-name is that?
Anyway, Pantiiii can you do me a favor if you have a chance?? Not very difficult but since it's partially my fault i want to try and help..

because there is such good action in F-cup I have introduced it to America and out frozen neighbors to the North...Some of the guys kind of missed that obvious car is Volvo 240--of which there are millions laying around here----winning series last what 4 years..
Nope they got excited about all the E36 BMWs...
Several have built them, and spent too TOOO much in my opinion and now the chicken comes home to roost:

They are suffering chronic failures in some areas--and remember, average shopper who lives on your SS roads going to get groceries drivers quicker than most of these guys on rally.. so they and I are puzzled and wondering what the F-cup BMW guys are doing in just a couple of areas:::
Rear Lower shock mount--cast iron..paska. they break.
With paaaaaaska cast iron what do guys do?

Differential mounting, super paska..
Again I don't see F-cup guys dragging diffs behind cars so looks like they don't fall out

What are they doing?

Maybe you can ask, maybe you can crawl under a car or 2 and take some photos..and send..

Or maybe you just say the hell with it and tell them to buy a 240 Volvo to win!

ernestcooke91
4th July 2017, 21:22
Hi,

I'm also in the same boat as Supercotts & racerx1979. It's my first time attending Rally Finland I would also greatly appreciate any suggestions any of you have.

Does anyone have/know the itinerary for the Vetomies (National) Rally? I know that it uses the Harju stage on the Friday and the Saturday stages.

I managed to find the itinerary for the Vetomies (National) Rally on Facebook.

FRI 28 JULY:
SS13 Harju at 18:30

SAT 29 JULY:
SS14 Pihlajakoski at 11:08
SS15 Päijälä at 12:31
SS16 Ouninpohja at 13:14
SS20 Pihlajakoski at 15:04
SS21 Päijälä at 16:12
Podium ceremony at Jyväskylä Paviljonki WRC Square at 19:00

Lawrence Clift
4th July 2017, 21:41
Hello everyone. My son and I are driving to Finland from the UK and I have a few questions if I may:
Which is the best way to drive into the Ouninpohja stage? Is it down the road/stage itself before the road closure or will there be spectator entry through the forest? I was going to ask about the National rally but I see that it has already been mentioned. Can someone be kind enough to provide a link for more information regarding the entry list please. Is there a problem with mosquitoes in the forests? We are planning to see shakedown, service, SS1, SS2 Halinen, SS5 Halinen, service SS9 Laukaa, SS12 Laukaa (Our hotel is close by), SS16 Ouninpohja, SS19 Ouninpohja, SS23 Oittila, SS25 Oittila. Thanks.

EDIT: I have just found the National entry list https://akk.autourheilu.fi/Public/Kiti/Competition/CompetitionEnrollListPlain.aspx?id=4841

LAWRENCE

SubaruNorway
4th July 2017, 23:04

You mean the spot where they turn off and then not enough speed for Hänninen's corner? Can't remember anything good between there but plenty of places before they turn off to the narrow road, been in the area 3 times :) Looks like there could be something interesting on the narrow road, need to see it in real life :)

the sniper
4th July 2017, 23:19

I don't know if that stage is representative of diversions used on other stages, but that 'slow' (fast) narrow road, closely lined with trees and featuring occasional slow 90º corners, almost looks to present more risks than the normal, wider flowing roads...

SubaruNorway
4th July 2017, 23:27
I don't know if that stage is representative of diversions used on other stages, but that 'slow' (fast) narrow road, closely lined with trees and featuring occasional slow 90º corners, almost looks to present more risks than the normal, wider flowing roads...

You're probably right, the part they skip is pretty much just 500m straight over some crests really and i wouldn't consider Hänninen's corner very dangerous since it's just a field

sindroms
5th July 2017, 07:15
You mean the spot where they turn off and then not enough speed for Hänninen's corner? Can't remember anything good between there but plenty of places before they turn off to the narrow road, been in the area 3 times :) Looks like there could be something interesting on the narrow road, need to see it in real life :)

Yes, Hanninen's corner is one of them. Second one or first one is those jumps, crests before that turn where drivers must slow down now to make that righthander.

pantealex
5th July 2017, 08:29
I managed to find the itinerary for the Vetomies (National) Rally on Facebook.

FRI 28 JULY:
SS13 Harju at 18:30

SAT 29 JULY:
SS14 Pihlajakoski at 11:08
SS15 Päijälä at 12:31
SS16 Ouninpohja at 13:14
SS20 Pihlajakoski at 15:04
SS21 Päijälä at 16:12
Podium ceremony at Jyväskylä Paviljonki WRC Square at 19:00

They drive that SS13 Harju (city stage, less than 1km from WRC Servicepark) BEFORE WRC-rally competitors.

Vetomies-rally uses different service area (called Hippos in maps) than WRC. It´s about 2km from WRC area.

pantealex
5th July 2017, 08:34
Hej Panty... wait a minute..what kind of nick-name is that?

No nick name, those are my real first name(s) :) Pante Alex

pantealex
5th July 2017, 08:41
Which is the best way to drive into the Ouninpohja stage? Is it down the road/stage itself before the road closure or will there be spectator entry through the forest?

Some parts like famous "Kakaristo" area are located 300 meters from Jyväskylä-Jämsä-Tampere highway and there is enough field parking places there, some other parts you will need walk little more...

and if you want to see famous Yellow/White houses jump, you have to be there hours before.

Rallyper
5th July 2017, 10:20
Hello everyone. My son and I are driving to Finland from the UK and I have a few questions if I may:
Which is the best way to drive into the Ouninpohja stage? Is it down the road/stage itself before the road closure or will there be spectator entry through the forest? I was going to ask about the National rally but I see that it has already been mentioned. Can someone be kind enough to provide a link for more information regarding the entry list please. Is there a problem with mosquitoes in the forests? We are planning to see shakedown, service, SS1, SS2 Halinen, SS5 Halinen, service SS9 Laukaa, SS12 Laukaa (Our hotel is close by), SS16 Ouninpohja, SS19 Ouninpohja, SS23 Oittila, SS25 Oittila. Thanks.

EDIT: I have just found the National entry list https://akk.autourheilu.fi/Public/Kiti/Competition/CompetitionEnrollListPlain.aspx?id=4841

LAWRENCE

Like my friend Pante Alex I would rekommend the famous Kakaristo junction, first time you come to Ouninpohja. Lots of spectators and facilities, food, toilets. For other stages you could use the rekommendations in official programme. At shakedown famous jumps are at the end of stage. Not long walk. One tip is to take left at the junction with servicestation if it´s crowded. Often good and free parkingspace and tunnel under big road towards the stage.

Simmi
5th July 2017, 10:35
Kakaristo junction is cool but I think it was more of a spectacle when the stage ran the opposite direction. For Finland and the main spectator areas/parking, I guess you could conceivably always end up in fields most days. I think it's important to strike a balance and be prepared to walk into the forests where the rally is at its best.

Rallyandre
5th July 2017, 11:13
Are there any good places in Pihlajakoski stage?

Lawrence Clift
5th July 2017, 20:12
Like my friend Pante Alex I would rekommend the famous Kakaristo junction, first time you come to Ouninpohja. Lots of spectators and facilities, food, toilets. For other stages you could use the rekommendations in official programme. At shakedown famous jumps are at the end of stage. Not long walk. One tip is to take left at the junction with servicestation if it´s crowded. Often good and free parkingspace and tunnel under big road towards the stage.

Thanks. We are planning on going to the jump close to the Yellow/white house for the first run and then go to the Kakaristo junction for the National rally and the second run of the WRC. The atmosphere should be amazing!

AnttiL
5th July 2017, 20:39

No, that's the only stage they slowed down by adding a smaller road section. Most of the stages got a chicane of some sort. I listed all of them in this thread a couple of days ago.

pantealex
6th July 2017, 08:28
Kakaristo junction is cool but I think it was more of a spectacle when the stage ran the opposite direction. For Finland and the main spectator areas/parking, I guess you could conceivably always end up in fields most days. I think it's important to strike a balance and be prepared to walk into the forests where the rally is at its best.

They ran it opposite direction this year. (Different than last year, cars are turning right in Kakaristo this year)

Atleast I think it´s better when you see cars heading towards you longer...

Simmi
6th July 2017, 08:54
They ran it opposite direction this year. (Different than last year, cars are turning right in Kakaristo this year)

Ahh cool, yeah I agree it is much better when you see them sweep into view at speed. An iconic spot in the WRC and glad I could tick it off in 2014.

Rallyper
6th July 2017, 13:39

Which they do this year. Can´t forget Mikko so scaring, almost running off letting out right rear wheel in the ditch. Mama mia! Was there. 2007 I think.

satukata
6th July 2017, 14:06
Which they do this year. Can´t forget Mikko so scaring, almost running off letting out right rear wheel in the ditch. Mama mia! Was there. 2007 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whBtnPasQp0 this was great moment!!

And this is my most scary moment as a spectator in rally finland...
my brother(pink tshirt first next the car) and I was there..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAxTLeoVvho

Lawrence Clift
6th July 2017, 14:47
It's starting to become real now :D 1363

satukata
6th July 2017, 14:50
It's starting to become real now :D 1363

Where are you from? First time rally Finland?

Lawrence Clift
6th July 2017, 15:38
Where are you from? First time rally Finland?

I'm from the UK and yes, first time at rally Finland

satukata
6th July 2017, 15:45
I'm from the UK and yes, first time at rally Finland

Welcome to my home city!

Lawrence Clift
6th July 2017, 15:54
Welcome to my home city!

We're looking forward to it :D

jiipee64
6th July 2017, 16:43
Welcome to my home city!

Mine too...

racerx1979
6th July 2017, 17:01
We're looking forward to it :D

Hey Lawrence,

We just got our passes as well. We're currently in the states (don't judge) but really looking forward to it. Where abouts are you staying? My wife and I will be in Jyvaskyla

We were here last year as well. Finland is a pretty country with nice people. We're excited to be back. The atmosphere in the stages is amazing!

Lawrence Clift
6th July 2017, 18:19
Hey Lawrence,

We just got our passes as well. We're currently in the states (don't judge) but really looking forward to it. Where abouts are you staying? My wife and I will be in Jyvaskyla

We were here last year as well. Finland is a pretty country with nice people. We're excited to be back. The atmosphere in the stages is amazing!

We're staying close to the Laukaa stage. Luckily I've no weddings booked in for the weekend (my wife thinks that was planned 😊). Really looking forward to seeing and hearing the cars over the jumps and sampling the atmosphere.

Rallyper
6th July 2017, 20:01
I was asking already last year about having an rendez-vous in Jyväskylä city somewhere, having a small bartalk together, all of us WRC forumers visiting or already living in Jyväskylä. Had a very nice one in Greece 2012 and met new friends charing same interest. What about wednesday night? Anyone? Maybe at the italian restaurant at Paviljonki Sokos hotel?

br21
6th July 2017, 20:24
I'll be there, and if only I will have time then I'll be happy to meet some forum friends.

pantealex
7th July 2017, 08:26

ENTRYLIST

http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4117/2017_nrf_entry_list_fia_approved-1.pdf

old link not working, I believe they have changed something:
#8 Al-Qassimi
#9 Breen

Rallyper
7th July 2017, 17:25
I'll be there, and if only I will have time then I'll be happy to meet some forum friends.

The name of the Sokos Paviljonki Restaurant is Trattoria Aukio. What about 17.00 hrs Wednesday?

br21
7th July 2017, 20:11
The name of the Sokos Paviljonki Restaurant is Trattoria Aukio. What about 17.00 hrs Wednesday?

Can't tell 100% now, as might be that at that time I will have scrutineering or other duties.

Rallyper
8th July 2017, 15:02
Can't tell 100% now, as might be that at that time I will have scrutineering or other duties.

Well, scrutineering for priority drivers goes on between 1400 - 23:00 hrs. :(. Hope you can take a short brake then.

tommeke_B
9th July 2017, 09:46
Does anyone know where chicanes will be used and if we can find them on a map?

AnttiL
9th July 2017, 09:54
Does anyone know where chicanes will be used and if we can find them on a map?

rally-maps has included them in their route database. They're well visible on the recce videos, and it's easy to connect the position on the map by looking at the video timer, it's roughly one minute per kilometre.

Here are the chicanes on the videos:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?37200-Neste-Rally-Finland-2017&p=1145592&viewfull=1#post1145592
http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?37200-Neste-Rally-Finland-2017&p=1145665&viewfull=1#post1145665

So do you want to spectate a chicane or make sure you're not doing so? ;)

tommeke_B
9th July 2017, 10:07
Thanks, I didn't look back in the thread but apparently you found it out already! Yes, I love chicanes, they're the most spectacular thing in the sport...

Actually I want to avoid the chicanes, and everything just after the chicane. Sometimes you can have a great place that gets "killed" by adding a chicane 200m before it.

OldF
9th July 2017, 11:12
360 degree view of the spectator areas. You can choose a spectator area on bottom the page (A, B, C etc. except for Harju A1 – A4). From the settings you can choose automatic rotation or not.

https://360.nesterallyfinland.fi/yleisoalueet/

ruesluporp
10th July 2017, 14:43
Free app in Google Store (Neste Rally Finland 2017): https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiD5Yr2zv7UAhWCUhoKHWfgDl0QFggjMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fstore%2Fapps%2 Fdetails%3Fid%3Dfi.mediataivas.nesterallyfinland%2 6hl%3Dfr&usg=AFQjCNGy9xKzys3vjCevfKm1HM9GuzjOMA

Maps and access roads only available after July 25th...

EstWRC
10th July 2017, 15:53
is this jump this year included? https://twitter.com/IFKfanVeera/status/883975668308037632

if yes, then where?

OldF
10th July 2017, 15:55
Yes. Yellow house jump.

EstWRC
10th July 2017, 16:18
really? how come i didnt recognize it at all, lol....thanks

Rallyper
10th July 2017, 16:31
Yes. Yellow house jump.

They put a chicane just before the jump ...

No, just kidding. :) :)

AnttiL
10th July 2017, 16:33
They put a chicane just before the jump ...

No, just kidding. :) :)

Like half a kilometre before it, but shouldn't affect the jump.

BTW I forgot that there's a chicane on the shakedown as well: https://youtu.be/vLGI8wSnfic?t=3m7s

ruesluporp
10th July 2017, 19:06
SS 1 (and 13)

https://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/670156ES113Ruuhimki.jpg (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=670156ES113Ruuhimki.jpg)

ruesluporp
10th July 2017, 19:07
SS 4 (and 7) Jukojärvi

https://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/151519ES47Jukojrvi.jpg (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=151519ES47Jukojrvi.jpg)

ruesluporp
10th July 2017, 19:07
The other maps will be available on July 25th...

racerx1979
10th July 2017, 19:54
Free app in Google Store (Neste Rally Finland 2017): https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiD5Yr2zv7UAhWCUhoKHWfgDl0QFggjMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fstore%2Fapps%2 Fdetails%3Fid%3Dfi.mediataivas.nesterallyfinland%2 6hl%3Dfr&usg=AFQjCNGy9xKzys3vjCevfKm1HM9GuzjOMA

Maps and access roads only available after July 25th...

Hope this will be available for ios like it was last year :)

Rallyper
11th July 2017, 08:51
BTW I forgot that there's a chicane on the shakedown as well: https://youtu.be/vLGI8wSnfic?t=3m7s

At the Neuville-off-place 2015. :(

tommeke_B
11th July 2017, 10:54
Yes, "killing" the best corner of the shakedown stage... I'm hesitating between going to the narrow part in the beginning or the famous jumps at the end of the stage.

baffo
11th July 2017, 13:24
Hi to everybody.
I would see a jump on sideways, like Urria, but with no so much spectators.
What about Rapsula road access on Ouninphoja or jyrkynen in same stage (or some other good spot like these)?
Which is most spectacular places? Crowded places? Can i reach them with near roads?
Thank you

garais22
13th July 2017, 07:54
Where I can see Itinerary for Vetomies?

AnttiL
13th July 2017, 08:23
Where I can see Itinerary for Vetomies?
https://akk.autourheilu.fi/Public/Handlers/Attachment.ashx?id=24115&hash=1add3b83&full=1
Friday
SS 13 Harju 2
Saturday
SS 14 Pihlajakoski 1
SS 15 Päijälä 1
SS 16 Ouninpohja 1

SS 20 Pihlajakoski 2
SS 21 Päijälä 2

The first saturday loop is driven after WRC cars, the second loop before WRC cars. Harju is also before WRC cars.

pantealex
13th July 2017, 08:35
Hope this will be available for ios like it was last year :)

iOS app is updated for 2017, FREE!

sindroms
13th July 2017, 09:20
As I understood Tuulilasi magazine is available now. Back in 2015 one of Finnish forumers gave here advice how it could be get in electronic version. Can I ask for the same this year? :)
Thanks in advance!

Integrale
13th July 2017, 10:20
Hello everyone, if all goes well my girlfriend and I are leaving next week for a Scandinavian road trip. We travel and sleep in a van, a Hyundai H1. Traditionally, I get to choose what to do on my birthday (29th of July). It has been a lifetime dream of mine to attend a WRC rally, so she hesitantly agreed to drive to Finland with me.

The plan is to leave on the 21st of July, drive through Denmark, the south of Sweden, take the ferry to Turku and drive up to Jyvaskyla. After the rally we would drive up, cross into Norway somehow and drive south again. I'm keen on driving to the Lofoten too, but I'm not sure if it's doable to sleep in a van there...

So here goes... I want to keep the miss happy :) and as there are lots of Scandinavians on the forum I'm asking the experts themselves! Any tips on places to go to on this trip, apart from Jyvaskyla of course? Beautiful cities, routes or things to do. Any festivals around that time? I read there's a real tradition of theatre in summer too.

My girlfriend is also very afraid it's going to rain a lot on the trip. Is there hope for some sunshine? :) Sorry for the offtopic!

Jallu
13th July 2017, 10:46
The plan is to leave on the 21st of July, drive through Denmark, the south of Sweden, take the ferry to Turku and drive up to Jyvaskyla. After the rally we would drive up, cross into Norway somehow and drive south again. I'm keen on driving to the Lofoten too, but I'm not sure if it's doable to sleep in a van there...

Don't worry usually the last weekend of july is full of sunshine, this summer however is not so promising...

Which date you are driving from Turku to Jyväskylä? I have same plan on thursday 27th. Need to be working from morning and planning to take a bus at afternoon. Gimme a ride and I share you my wisdom and experience from my previous 28 years in Rally Finland. Also delighted to be your personal guide for 4h drive!

AnttiL
13th July 2017, 12:15
So, any speculations? My favourite is Latvala. The gravel pace of the Yaris seems to be there judging by the good results in Sardegna and Poland. Lappi could be fast as well, maybe even for a podium. Neuville has been strong, another podium contender. Ogier will have again as good a finish as he can, but running first will slow him down a bit. Tänak, Paddon, Suninen and Meeke will be fast and get stage wins but also are prone to mistakes. Hänninen could maybe be a bit quicker than his pace this year, but still far from podium. Evans, Sordo and Østberg probably a bit off the pace.

satukata
13th July 2017, 12:25
So, any speculations? My favourite is Latvala. The gravel pace of the Yaris seems to be there judging by the good results in Sardegna and Poland. Lappi could be fast as well, maybe even for a podium. Neuville has been strong, another podium contender. Ogier will have again as good a finish as he can, but running first will slow him down a bit. Tänak, Paddon, Suninen and Meeke will be fast and get stage wins but also are prone to mistakes. Hänninen could maybe be a bit quicker than his pace this year, but still far from podium. Evans, Sordo and Østberg probably a bit off the pace.

My dream is top 3 all Finnish drivers. Latvala first Lappi 2nd and suninen 3rd.

Toyota boys have no test limit in Finland. Latvala is expecte to drive 4 days. Toyota will be fast. I think only neuville can fight with Toyota and meeke on friday if its dry.

EstWRC
13th July 2017, 13:21
it will be Latvala vs Tänak, Finland vs Estonia like in 2003 when Märtin and Grönholm battled :) ...well this is just my hope :)

but in reality i think the same guys who were fast in poland will be here too. TOP4 of the championship will the fastest again with Ogier being slowest of them(due to road cleaning and not finding the right setup) and add Paddon and Meeke(if the car allows) into there as well.

Lappi and Suninen will shine but i dont think they will be high in overall....they may be local guys but this is a rally which needs much experience and punishes you right away when you make a little mistake.

Allez Andruet
13th July 2017, 14:06

If it's dry, Lappi and Meeke will absolutely fly on Friday and it'll be really hard for anyone (namely Latvala and Neuville) to catch these two during Saturday and Sunday. I'll go with EP on my bets. If it's wet or if the starting positions are more equal for whatever reason, Latvala and Neuville will be hard to beat.

I hope all three Toyotas are able to post fastest stage times. Hänninen also has a very good starting position on Friday (pending the weather ofcourse) and he should go fast on Finnish roads.

One thing's for sure: it'll be hell of a race.

racerx1979
13th July 2017, 15:18
EPL and JML battle would be nice to see. Hanninen is also due for a decent result, but Nueville, Tanak and Ogier will all be fast. Meeke has the most pressure coming in to this event as last years winner and this years issues.

pantealex
13th July 2017, 16:23
As I understood Tuulilasi magazine is available now. Back in 2015 one of Finnish forumers gave here advice how it could be get in electronic version. Can I ask for the same this year? :)
Thanks in advance!

https://luettavaa.a-lehdet.fi/lehtitarjous/tuulilasi?_ga=2.120411085.455879227.1499874956-215979318.1306665821

It´s that "DIGILEHTI" 4,90€
You may have to google some words...
but ordering is asking COUNTRY, so it´s possible to order.

Rallyper
13th July 2017, 17:46
Hello everyone, if all goes well my girlfriend and I are leaving next week for a Scandinavian road trip. We travel and sleep in a van, a Hyundai H1. Traditionally, I get to choose what to do on my birthday (29th of July). It has been a lifetime dream of mine to attend a WRC rally, so she hesitantly agreed to drive to Finland with me.

So here goes... I want to keep the miss happy :) and as there are lots of Scandinavians on the forum I'm asking the experts themselves! Any tips on places to go to on this trip, apart from Jyvaskyla of course? Beautiful cities, routes or things to do. Any festivals around that time? I read there's a real tradition of theatre in summer too.

My girlfriend is also very afraid it's going to rain a lot on the trip. Is there hope for some sunshine? :) Sorry for the offtopic!

Which day and ferrycompany will you take to Turku? I´m having the ferry from Stockholm Tuesday night the 25th, at 20.15, Viking Line. From where do you start, i.e. where do you live?
Weather seems to be quite good in Sweden the weekend before the rally. To far for prognosis rally week in Finland I guess.

janvanvurpa
13th July 2017, 19:15
Which day and ferrycompany will you take to Turku? I´m having the ferry from Stockholm Tuesday night the 25th, at 20.15, Viking Line. From where do you start, i.e. where do you live?
Weather seems to be quite good in Sweden the weekend before the rally. To far for prognosis rally week in Finland I guess.

ja ä förvirra..
Why drive all the way down to Slussen for Finland båt when Kappelskär is just up the road from you...
tokoti!

satnav
13th July 2017, 19:54
https://luettavaa.a-lehdet.fi/lehtitarjous/tuulilasi?_ga=2.120411085.455879227.1499874956-215979318.1306665821

It´s that "DIGILEHTI" 4,90€
You may have to google some words...
but ordering is asking COUNTRY, so it´s possible to order.

I ordered one last night the order acknowledgment said order is moved to processing and that i'd get an email today with instructions to login , i'm still waiting .... last year i was able to download it as soon as i had paid.....if anyone else orders it let me know how you get on.

Rallyper
13th July 2017, 22:14
ja ä förvirra..
Why drive all the way down to Slussen for Finland båt when Kappelskär is just up the road from you...
tokoti!

Better ferry, better food, joyful trip. Kapellskär, why not, but more for långtradarchaffisar (know meaning of that word?)

Integrale
13th July 2017, 23:48

Is it necessary to book the ferry tickets in advance or can you do it on the spot? We start in the beautiful city of Ghent, Belgium. I think we might take the ferry around that time, maybe a day later, depends. Wear a red tulip so I can recognize you. :) Or send me your contact information via pm, always up for some company on a ferry!

Same for Jallu, but one little warning: it can be a real squeeze if we're driving with three in front. ;)

Camping near the stages won't be a problem I think? The rally programme and tickets you can buy at gas stations, or only in Jyvaskyla? Cheers

AnttiL
14th July 2017, 06:31
Lappi and Suninen will shine but i dont think they will be high in overall....they may be local guys but this is a rally which needs much experience and punishes you right away when you make a little mistake.

Everybody talks about Lappi and Suninen in the same sentence but Lappi is more experienced. Already in 2015 he was flying in the Fabia R5 winning Tidemand by 10 seconds on a stage while Suninen was still in a FWD car. And in 2012 when the Urria stage was last driven, we had a number of current WRC drivers with S2000 cars: Mikkelsen, Lappi, Ogier, Paddon and Breen, in this order. So we Lappi was already faster than Ogier in 2012 ;) Lappi has had also more testing time in the Yaris than Suninen in the Fiesta although not as much as people think. I hope Suninen does well, I hope they both do, but I'm actually expecting a good result only from Lappi.

ruesluporp
14th July 2017, 07:36
ja ä förvirra..
tokoti!

Kappelskär is not a good idea! It's almost sold out for the few days before the rally, and it's very expensive...

pantealex
14th July 2017, 09:40
Is it necessary to book the ferry tickets in advance or can you do it on the spot?
Camping near the stages won't be a problem I think?
The rally programme and tickets you can buy at gas stations, or only in Jyvaskyla? Cheers

-There might be problems to get tickets for your car, there is always room for passengers but car tickets could be sold out
-Camping is no problem
-Almost every foodstore sells that "Tuulilasi" Official Programme and all big NESTE gas stations sells Rally passes (and those programmes)
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/liput/asemat/ (list of NESTE stations which sell tickets) (Pansiontie is in TURKU harbor)

AnttiL
14th July 2017, 15:50
I ordered one last night the order acknowledgment said order is moved to processing and that i'd get an email today with instructions to login , i'm still waiting .... last year i was able to download it as soon as i had paid.....if anyone else orders it let me know how you get on.

I got my order confirmation but no instructions whatsoever. Then I went to https://asiakaspalvelu.a-lehdet.fi/asiakaspalvelu and created an account, confirmed email and logged in...but found nothing. Then I went to their main site and found my way to their digital paper browser, which appears to be in https://luettavaa.a-lehdet.fi/lue-lehti/lehdet and my login from the previous phase was still active and the magazine was available.

Integrale
14th July 2017, 17:08
-There might be problems to get tickets for your car, there is always room for passengers but car tickets could be sold out
-Camping is no problem
-Almost every foodstore sells that "Tuulilasi" Official Programme and all big NESTE gas stations sells Rally passes (and those programmes)
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/liput/asemat/ (list of NESTE stations which sell tickets) (Pansiontie is in TURKU harbor)

Thanks for the heads-up, booked a ticket this morning on the Tallink & Silka line. Everything else was sold out indeed. Now all I have to do is find the right spectating spots. :)

pantealex
14th July 2017, 17:20
http://www.mut-palvelu.fi/online2011/

Results page for tomorrows AutoGlym-rally

(Neuville, Veiby, Greensmith, Arai, Katsuta, Solans, Rådström etc. + Hirvonen/Lehtinen with BDA)

satnav
14th July 2017, 18:20
I got my order confirmation but no instructions whatsoever. Then I went to https://asiakaspalvelu.a-lehdet.fi/asiakaspalvelu and created an account, confirmed email and logged in...but found nothing. Then I went to their main site and found my way to their digital paper browser, which appears to be in https://luettavaa.a-lehdet.fi/lue-lehti/lehdet and my login from the previous phase was still active and the magazine was available.

Thanks for the response , unfortunately i have tried all that without any luck , i have also emailed customer service and the response just stated that it could be next week before i can get the copy but still no info about how to log in .....

I wonder if anyone who has managed to get the digital copy downloaded could they maybe load up some of the stage parking locations it would be a great help for planning .

satukata
14th July 2017, 19:21
Lappi said today in finnish tv he want be better than 4th in rally finland!

janvanvurpa
14th July 2017, 20:40
Better ferry, better food, joyful trip. Kapellskär, why not, but more for långtradarchaffisar (know meaning of that word?)

Visst..I think på angleski we say "truckers"...or "over the road truckers'...
I think...(less and less certain of my Englische these days)

janvanvurpa
14th July 2017, 20:51
Kappelskär is not a good idea! It's almost sold out for the few days before the rally, and it's very expensive...

I was curious because I used to live in Stockholm and I know Pelle aka rallyper lives 'way up" closer to there..and it ends up in Åbo...
In my travels all over Europe by truck-van/service barge I always tended to avoid urban area so I thought who would want to drive in Stockholm AND Helsinki?

It's true though that the Finland boats are a LOT larger and more of them departing Stockholm...

And to Intergrale, my very probable neighbor 400 years ago, absolutely check into booking early..
In Sweden it is always a safe bet that you need to book early for EVERYTHING!
Including calling anything...
You want a beer? book early (don't bother take your own since you have such good beer everywhere...)
Dinner? book early..
Done with your beer and want to get rid of it?
Book early!

janvanvurpa
14th July 2017, 20:53
Lappi said today in finnish tv he want be better than 4th in rally finland!

in other news I didn't say it on American TV but I want to finish 4th or better in rally Finland.
Is that news?
I think a lot of us want to.

mknight
14th July 2017, 22:26
Before Poland Lappi said something along the lines that podium would be too much to hope for and that he does not have so high expectations. So this is quite a change, specially since he only did 2 stages in Poland.

But realistically both he and Toyota should be at their best in Poland. Question is how it compares with Neuville, Tanak, Latvala and Ogier. He does have a good starting position as well so it is indeed possible. Doesn't mean it's likely.

OHL
15th July 2017, 08:17
Before Poland Lappi said something along the lines that podium would be too much to hope for and that he does not have so high expectations. So this is quite a change, specially since he only did 2 stages in Poland.

But realistically both he and Toyota should be at their best in Poland. Question is how it compares with Neuville, Tanak, Latvala and Ogier. He does have a good starting position as well so it is indeed possible. Doesn't mean it's likely.

I think that when Lappi said that he was talking about his Poland result specifically. It didn't seem to be aimed at his general ambitions. After 6 stage wins in Sardinia, now coming to his home rally, aiming for 4th or higher seems ambitious but very achievable.

Simmi
15th July 2017, 09:34
in other news I didn't say it on American TV but I want to finish 4th or better in rally Finland.
Is that news?
I think a lot of us want to.

Another bizarre interpretation of a post...

But of course this is news. It tells you everything you need to know about this up and coming talent. It's his fourth event in a WRC car on one of the toughest rallies in the world. I doubt Tommi is asking him to get a top-4, so this pressure and belief all come from Lappi himself.

Very few drivers aim so high so soon. He and Teemu will be one of the fascinating stories to follow on the rally.

mknight
15th July 2017, 09:51
Very few drivers aim so high so soon. He and Teemu will be one of the fascinating stories to follow on the rally.

As Lappi himself says he does not have time to "slowly learn", he feels himself that he got into WRC car at least a year later than he should and he is no "young boy". He is 26, that's 1 year younger than Breen today, 1.5 years younger than Mikkelsen and 3 years older than Sunninen. Note that last year when Breen was same age he finished 3rd in Finland.

Sure Lappi does not have WRC-car experience but that's about the only place where "soon" applies in his career.

For sure he will be interesting to follow in the near future, I have to say I like both his performance and his behavior so far. Very Gronholm-like.

AL14
15th July 2017, 17:03
I think someone should persuade Lappi to change approach. WRC is a learning sport where experience makes the difference way more than how old you are. He's 26 and has at least 10-12 years at the TOP level ahaed of him. He's doing good and he hasn't got to become world champion next year.

satnav
15th July 2017, 17:22
If anyone has managed to get the digital version of the programme downloaded I'd be gratefull if they could upload some of the parking at the stages for planning cheers

racerx1979
16th July 2017, 01:02

How is this different from any other rally guide? Isn't that IOS app the same thing?

Revman
16th July 2017, 01:44
NEWBIE ALERT!!!!!.....I know how irritating those who are new to any sport can be, so if you don't want to be irritated, please skip this post.......

I can feel a huge sense of anticipation for Rally Finland. Please tell me as much as you choose to as to why this seems to be such a special rally.

jiipee64
16th July 2017, 06:28
I'm highly biased, since I have lived most of my life in Jyväskylä. I've been on the stages here since early 1970's. Seen almost every rally car here.

I have visited most of the other WRC events on Europe. Even the proper RAC rally. I have seen 500+ WRC stages live.

Still I'm having goosebumbs just thinking about Ouninpohja in 2 weeks time.

These roads are made for rally cars. Now one of the biggest car manufacturers makes rallycars in my hometown.

If You want to see the rally cars in their natural habitat You need to come here.

AnttiL
16th July 2017, 07:29
How is this different from any other rally guide? Isn't that IOS app the same thing?

the app does not have the instructions for parking etc. yet, only just before the rally starts.

AnttiL
16th July 2017, 07:34
Well said jiipee64

These roads are made for rally cars.

Just to make sure: not literally made for rally cars, the roads are in everyday use throughout the year, but they are like they were made for rally cars. ;)

For most gravel event stages the average speed is 100 km/h at most, whereas in Finland it can be even over 130 km/h.

Also the crests and corners where the cars jump sideways... I think this video from last year shows it best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeeV06bmTfs

tommeke_B
16th July 2017, 09:01
Finland has something special that you can't find in any other event, indeed. It's one of the few events where you have the feeling that the rally is the highlight of the year for everyone. In most events locals don't care about the rally and are sometimes even a bit annoyed by it. In Finland it's different and the sport seems much more respected. Even along the road sections you will see quite a number of people (mostly locals) along the road, watching the cars and often waiving some Finnish flags. And indeed, the rally takes place on everyday roads for Finnish people. If I'm not mistaken Ruuhimaki (used for shakedown) is part of a bus-route (public transport). :) On top of that the stages are probably the most exciting of all for both drivers and codrivers. I think in Sardinia or Poland (for example) it's easier to drive descent times if not everything is 100% right (in terms of pacenotes and setup of the car). Poland is very difficult as well on some sections, but in general there's some bigger margin for error, and the corners don't follow each other that quick. In Finland you must be very confident to be quick. More than in other events the corners/crests are somehow connected to each other, you have to look like 3 corners ahead to know the perfect approach. On many places you see drivers placing the cars sideways before the corner, before they can actually see the corner. My explanation is probably not the best. The best way to find out is by attending the event, and also by driving some of the stages yourself.

On a side-note, for all people who visit Finland. I haven't seen it in this thread here (maybe it was but then I've looked over it). There's a great rallyradio in Finland (if not the best in the world). The frequency is 99.3MHz. They have a great speaker with perfect English, good info about the event, stage times, stage end interviews etc. But also important, info when for example car parks are full, when there are big traffic jams etc. So besides giving all info about what's going on with the drivers, the rally radio can avoid some personal issues as well. ;)

ruesluporp
16th July 2017, 10:31
the app does not have the instructions for parking etc. yet, only just before the rally starts.

The IOS App (and Android App as well) will give instructions for parkings, access roads, restrooms, trash bins, entrance and public viewspots... but not before July, 25th!

https://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/670156ES113Ruuhimki.jpg (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=670156ES113Ruuhimki.jpg)

satnav
16th July 2017, 11:49

This is the Rally Programme.......the apps don't load the maps until the 25th

Revman
16th July 2017, 15:45
Finland has something special that you can't find in any other event, indeed. It's one of the few events where you have the feeling that the rally is the highlight of the year for everyone. In most events locals don't care about the rally and are sometimes even a bit annoyed by it. In Finland it's different and the sport seems much more respected. Even along the road sections you will see quite a number of people (mostly locals) along the road, watching the cars and often waiving some Finnish flags. And indeed, the rally takes place on everyday roads for Finnish people. If I'm not mistaken Ruuhimaki (used for shakedown) is part of a bus-route (public transport). :) On top of that the stages are probably the most exciting of all for both drivers and codrivers. I think in Sardinia or Poland (for example) it's easier to drive descent times if not everything is 100% right (in terms of pacenotes and setup of the car). Poland is very difficult as well on some sections, but in general there's some bigger margin for error, and the corners don't follow each other that quick. In Finland you must be very confident to be quick. More than in other events the corners/crests are somehow connected to each other, you have to look like 3 corners ahead to know the perfect approach. On many places you see drivers placing the cars sideways before the corner, before they can actually see the corner. My explanation is probably not the best. The best way to find out is by attending the event, and also by driving some of the stages yourself.

On a side-note, for all people who visit Finland. I haven't seen it in this thread here (maybe it was but then I've looked over it). There's a great rallyradio in Finland (if not the best in the world). The frequency is 99.3MHz. They have a great speaker with perfect English, good info about the event, stage times, stage end interviews etc. But also important, info when for example car parks are full, when there are big traffic jams etc. So besides giving all info about what's going on with the drivers, the rally radio can avoid some personal issues as well. ;)

Thank you. Fabulous response.

Revman
16th July 2017, 15:51
Well said jiipee64

Just to make sure: not literally made for rally cars, the roads are in everyday use throughout the year, but they are like they were made for rally cars. ;)

For most gravel event stages the average speed is 100 km/h at most, whereas in Finland it can be even over 130 km/h.

Also the crests and corners where the cars jump sideways... I think this video from last year shows it best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeeV06bmTfs

Just fabulous.

racerx1979
16th July 2017, 15:54

Ahh I see. I there an English version available. This would be extremely helpful.

satnav
16th July 2017, 16:11
Ahh I see. I there an English version available. This would be extremely helpful.

Yes this is the digital version the same as the programme you buy in the shops when you get there and has all the info, it is very helpful indeed....

Munkvy
16th July 2017, 21:13

I agree, yes he has a good car and good road position to start with. But he performed poorly in Poland and Toyota is a distant third in the championship... And with the team having one driver who sadly has a bit of a tendency for sudden stops in stages, I feel Toyota would be wanting him to actually finish at Finland as it's very important for points, but also development of the car.

Going for a podium, which could potentially impact JML's ability to fight for the championship, is a risky move, especially given how early he is in his career in a WRC car.

Tarmop
16th July 2017, 21:34
Well logical, but Rally Finland+ local drivers+ local team+ most of the development km`s done there+ unlimited amount of testing any time they want+ "development year, no aims in the championship" (yes-yes :) ). Seems the best place for all the team do have theri best event ever...definitely competition won`t make it so easy.

pantealex
17th July 2017, 16:10
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4265/nesterallfinland_2017_bulletin_1_130717_scanned.pd f

Bulletin 1

Notice: 12.13 Starting intervals (not on power stage but also some others)

EstWRC
17th July 2017, 22:28
how has the summer been there? lakes warm enough to swim?

racerx1979
18th July 2017, 02:56
and mosquitoes happily flying around biting us foreigners?

AnttiL
18th July 2017, 06:00
Chilly. I heard on the radio news that it's the coldest beginning of the summer since 1974. But not much mosquitos. The long-term forecast is giving 10-20 C and some rain for the rally weekend, but of course that's subject to change.

AnttiL
18th July 2017, 06:17
https://twitter.com/PanteAlex/status/887173708984528896

It was announced today that Vetomies race has a shorter version of Päijälä stage. I drew the stage in google maps and the taking away the small road section at the end matches exactly to the new length. Maybe they're worried that the small road will get in too bad condition?

Franky
18th July 2017, 07:04
how has the summer been there? lakes warm enough to swim?

Why warm? You need warmish to wake you up quickly, so you'd be ready for the new day.

AnttiL
18th July 2017, 07:53
I keep looking at the itinerary and previous year average speeds. Of course it's questionable how the reversions and chicanes affect it, but we might see the fastest rally ever. In the previous years, there were always some "slower" forest stages where the average speed was "only" under 120 km/h like Surkee, Painaa, Himos, Palsankylä, short versions of Leustu, short/slow versions of Ouninpohja (with titles Kakaristo or Hassi). Now, we don't have any of those, it's just brutal speed all the way through, probably at least 120 km/h winning average speed for all forest stages. closer to 130 for most. The course clerk already said the route will be taken back to smaller and slower roads next year because he was so disappointed in FIA demanding the chicanes. So enjoy this year while you still can. I hope there's no second round stage cancellations for too high speed like in Sweden...

baffo
18th July 2017, 09:59
Most of spectator access to Ouninpohja stage are from the main road E63 (from Jamsa to Langelmaki). Generally, is that road section subject to traffic jam during Saturday Leg?
Thanks

pantealex
18th July 2017, 10:43
Most of spectator access to Ouninpohja stage are from the main road E63 (from Jamsa to Langelmaki). Generally, is that road section subject to traffic jam during Saturday Leg?
Thanks

Yes.
Could be from there all the way back to Jyväskylä. Or not.
Sometimes it´s faster to drive route Halli-Mänttä-Keuruu-Jyväskylä
Just listen ralliradio 99,3mhz

ruesluporp
18th July 2017, 11:54
I finally got the magazine online (not easy). I will screenshot the maps tonight. But I don't know how to send the stuff to people interested in?

racerx1979
18th July 2017, 17:45
I finally got the magazine online (not easy). I will screenshot the maps tonight. But I don't know how to send the stuff to people interested in?

If you can send them to me I can easily create an online link which everyone can download using a password or not. I normally use Dropbox.

ruesluporp
18th July 2017, 17:52
If you can send them to me I can easily create an online link which everyone can download using a password or not. I normally use Dropbox.

I don't want to publish a link, I will send my link (Box) to any reader interested in who will send a private message to me.

tommeke_B
18th July 2017, 18:24
For anyone who wants more detailed maps, there's an interesting app called "topo maps - Finland" on the apple app store. There's probably something for android too. I've used it to navigate the last few times. You can draw the stage maps on the maps, it's very convenient.

jiipee64
18th July 2017, 18:37
Local motorsport magazine "Vauhdin maailma" has an unofficial rally guide.

They use those topographic maps on their Stage maps.

AnttiL
18th July 2017, 19:17
Just remember that some of the access roads are blocked and only the official guide has information about them

pantealex
19th July 2017, 09:00
Both Tuulilasi and Vauhdin Maailma have only 33% correct numbers for C3 WRC ;) Both have Meeke right but Breen/Al-Qassimi wrong.

Vauhdin Maailma has only info about blocked roads of Ouninpohja, not for any other stages. And another problem is that it´s only in Finnish language. Maps are very good.

Shortly: If you buy 1 rallymagazine take Tuulilasi, if you want also topographic maps take also VauhdinMaailma.

EstWRC
19th July 2017, 09:08
Thanks for the info. At first our friend bought vauhdin maailma but now we got tuulilasi after all.

baffo
19th July 2017, 10:25
What about parking with the bus service, can you go back from stage to the parking area whenever you want at any time (for example leave the stage after 15 cars)?
Thanks

AnttiL
19th July 2017, 10:39
Both Tuulilasi and Vauhdin Maailma have only 33% correct numbers for C3 WRC ;) Both have Meeke right but Breen/Al-Qassimi wrong.

Not sure why Citroen changed their numbers anyway, Breen has been #8 all season, but originally Qassimi was #9 like it was printed on the magazines, perhaps the waiver to change them around was made so late that the magazines were already in print. However, Tuulilasi includes Lefebvre in the driver profiles, saying "he might surprise in Finland". :D

pantealex
19th July 2017, 12:49
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4118/sp_layout_numbers_final_170717.pdf

Service park map with car numbers.

#22 WRCT driver Jean-Michel raoux is missing
#70 WRC3 driver Jakub Brzezinski is missing
any other driver missing?

samWRC
19th July 2017, 13:25
http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site/assets/files/4118/sp_layout_numbers_final_170717.pdf

Service park map with car numbers.

#22 WRCT driver Jean-Michel raoux is missing
#70 WRC3 driver Jakub Brzezinski is missing
any other driver missing?

There was some news that Brzezinski will stop his WRC-3 program after Poland because of poor results.

EstWRC
19th July 2017, 14:32
check this out guys https://360.nesterallyfinland.fi

all the stages with viewing spots, just click where you want to be!

Integrale
19th July 2017, 19:32
Any news on the weather? :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

AnttiL
19th July 2017, 19:58
Any news on the weather? :)

http://m.foreca.fi/Finland/Jyvaskyla/details/20170728

Local forecast says under 20 C and 76% chance of rain for friday...but it's too early to read forecasts

SubaruNorway
19th July 2017, 20:57

This really was confusing, what do you put as customer number when you make the account?
Can't see anything in the mail i got.

Edit: Found it. But just getting this error code when moving on to the next page...

janvanvurpa
20th July 2017, 02:12
Hey boys I just got off the phone with a good friend who I build his engine and flywheel and suspension for his nice rally 240 Volvo and I even (yikes!!!:uhoh:) co-drive with a couple of times...He called to say he's arranged a very last minute trip to Finland with his family and negotiate with his wife to get one day off , Saturday, to go watch WRC...
Very last minute, brilliant planning, I know, but the poor boy doesn't have a clue what to do to see anything..

His name is Albert Kun but we call him Alperti Kunkanen because every rally driver should have a Finnish alter-ego.
He's a very nice guy, very good humor and generally fun to hang out with..

Can some of you guys temporarily adopt Al and drag him along?

Just Saturday......

Pelle! You have room maybe? language should not be a problem, he can understand me so he can understand anything...I have even tried to teach him some Finnish swearing (well he did ask what I was saying on Stages about his driving...)

if you can help and have some space please send me a note with your mobil phone number and maybe even say where you think would be smartest for him to be...

Naturally he's flying in to Helsinki so he has to go up North somewhere...Train? Buss? Where?

If you have any brilliant ideas please email me cause I don't know if PM works so well..My email is janvanvurpa "at" gmail 'dot' com

Now since he's a Volvo 240 rally guy sure he wants to see the big heroes but I know he will be extra thrilled to see F-cup or vetomies too...I have been encouraging boys to get to Finland or Sweden and see what "normal" people drive like ---or "Abby Normal" people in typical club level cars..
Please let me know....