PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Ball Time for 2017

Mintexmemory
12th January 2017, 12:46
The number of offs prediction thread got me thinking. So I'm inviting the forum members to make 5 predictions for the 2017 season in a qualitative manner. I'll keep track of the reality during the season and report from time to time and next November we can all judge who had their finger on the pulse best.
To kick off here are mine

1 -Ogier to win the WDC again
2 - Toyota won't win a round (FAIL)
3 - Australia to be a dead rubber / undersubscribed event again
4 - Stages to be cancelled in Poland (WIN)
5 - Mikkelsen to be parachuted in to a team by Rally Portugal
(FAIL - a rally too late)
Special merit will be accorded to the wildest prediction that comes to pass!!

rp
12th January 2017, 13:20
Great Thread! :)

1. Ogier takes the title nr. 5! M-Sport will lose the Manufacturer´s title by a slim margin, but Ford is so happy for the Ogier´s title that the Blue Oval will be officially back for the season 2018! -> Malcolm will be very happy.
2. Neuville is very fast, but understands that it´s better to take solid points rather than always trying to win. 2nd in the Championsip.
3. Citroën is very fast, but Meeke continues to make too many mistakes and will lose much points. Despite that he is 3rd in the Championship.
4. Citroën and Yves Matton understands at the middle of the season that Breen/Lefebvre are too inexperienced and slow to be 2nd nominated drivers to score points and for the 2018 they are forced to take Andreas Mikkelsen as a 2nd driver to fight for the Manufacturer´s title. Breen/Lefebvre will share the 3rd car.
5. Toyota is faster than the most of us was expecting, but they are still learning and collecting the experience. Latvala understands that now he has to finish and is not trying to win at all costs. Solid points, but sometimes also the lack of speed. Yaris WRC is flying in Rally Finland, but not by Latvala or Hänninen. Esapekka Lappi is leading the rally after the 1st day, but the biggest surprise is their 4th driver in Rally Finland! Jarkko Nikara shows who is the fastest Finn :)

smsgrafica
12th January 2017, 14:27
1.) Toyota on the podium in Monte Carlo (win)
2.) Hyundai manu champs (FAIL)
3.) Meeke WC (FAIL)
4.) Tanak takes a win before Ogier does (FAIL-edit)
5.) Mikkelsen in a 2017 Polo from Portugal on (Fail)

Ivar
12th January 2017, 14:43
1. Rally Sweden to be cancelled due to lack of snow and icying on the roads (FAIL)

2. Ogier to be crowned WC (WIN)

3. Tanak to win his first event (Win)

4. Rally with the highest average speed ever recorded (FAIL)

5. Toyota to be far behind from other manufacturers (win)

A FONDO
12th January 2017, 14:49
1. Ogier wins half the events and the other half the Ford retires (Fail)
2. Hyundai manu champion not later than Rally Germany. (Fail)
3. Hanninen to be replaced before the end of the season. (Fail)
4. Sardinia cancelled because of some problems with a boat ot african immigrants. (Fail)
5. Citroen team with complete DNF at Monte. (FAIL -edit)

need a lot of wild luck for these to happen but it's just for fun you know

dupanton
12th January 2017, 15:07
1) Neuville and Hyundai World Champion (I certainly hope this) (Double FAIL)
2) Camilli WRC2 Champion (Fail)
3) 5 different winners in 3 different cars (50-50) (>5 in>3 FAIL)
4) Toyota finishing with less then half the points of the other manufacturers (Fail)
5) Latvala breaking his suspension 5 times due to bad luck (Fail)

Bonus: Ostberg complaining of down shift problem in Sweden (but that one is to easy to predict :p ) (FAIL)

AL14
12th January 2017, 15:35
1. Tanak will take his maiden win (WIN)
2. Ogier's moanings about the car will replace Ogier's moanings about starting position (FAIL)
3. Ogier will win championship (WIN)
4. Lefebvre will never win a single stage (Fail)
5. Prokop will retire from WRC for the 7th time (WIN)

AL14
12th January 2017, 15:36
4. Sardinia cancelled because of some problems with a boat ot african immigrants.

My friend, I'm trying really hard to find a sense in this one but I really can't. :confused: :laugh:

Rallyper
12th January 2017, 15:51
1. Toyota takes first and only win in Sweden.
2. Ogier to be WDC. (WIN)
3. Citroen hires Mikkelsen after big failure in Mexico. (Fail)
4. Hyundai takes manu championship by small margin to Ford. (FAIL)
5. Too many crashes with new 2017 WRC cars makes FIA to change rules to R5 WRC cars for 2018. (FAIL

Eli
12th January 2017, 15:55
1. Ogier will be crowned for the 5th time WC. (WIN)
2. Hyundai will win the Manu. title by 50 points (at least) (FAIL)
3. Each & every single one of the drivers will crash at one point or another (yes yes, including Ogier) (FAIL)
4. Meeke will become Mkrash (Mcrash 2) (WIN but only because the C3 was a pile of crap)
5. Malcolm will leave M-Sport at the end of the season (& announce it just after Ogier has taken the title). (WRONG x10000000)

Mintexmemory
12th January 2017, 16:16
Great offerings so far - rp has managed to squeeze 9 predictions (some co-dependent) into the 5 bullet points!!!

Rally Power
12th January 2017, 17:28
Nice thread Mintex! My 5 educated guesses for a wild ’17 season:

1. ’17 cars will be 1s/km faster than ’16 from the start, getting close to 2s at the end of the season. (Fail)
2. Neuville and Hyundai will become ’17 WRC champions. The Belgium and his team will have a close to perfect season, also managing to profit from Ogier/MSport issues and Meeke mistakes. (Fail)
3. Problems in the Ogier/Wilson partnership: MSport isn’t used to work around a star driver and Ogier ‘Prima Dona’ genes will end clashing Wilson’s team owner strict mentality.(Fail)
4. Serious crashes (hopefully without injuries) from 2nd level drivers using ’17 (Fail) cars, making clear they’re not safe in all hands. Mama Prada will, finally, put an end to Bertelli’s rally career.
5. At the end of the year the FIA will announce WRC cars will get a 34mm restrictor from ’18 onwards. ’17 stage records will became the unbeatable benchmark for seasons to come.(Fail)

A FONDO
12th January 2017, 18:47
Nice thread Mintex! My 5 educated guesses for a wild ’17 season:

1. ’17 cars will be 1s/km faster than ’16 from the start, getting close to 2s at the end of the season.
2. Neuville and Hyundai will become ’17 WRC champions. The Belgium and his team will have a close to perfect season, also managing to profit from Ogier/MSport issues and Meeke mistakes.
3. Problems in the Ogier/Wilson partnership: MSport isn’t used to work around a star driver and Ogier ‘Prima Dona’ genes will end clashing Wilson’s team owner strict mentality.
4. Serious crashes (hopefully without injuries) from 2nd level drivers using ’17 cars, making clear they’re not safe in all hands. Mama Prada will, finally, put an end to Bertelli’s rally career.
5. At the end of the year the FIA will announce WRC cars will get a 34mm restrictor from ’18 onwards. ’17 stage records will became the unbeatable benchmark for seasons to come.

Bertelli and Prokop more dangerous than Meeke and Tanak? They are more cautious and when they crash they do it at lower speed.

Duvel
12th January 2017, 19:34
1: Tanak will suprise in a positive way, winning 3 rally's and matching Ogier's pace on nearly all events. (Fail - Just 2)
2: Neuville is gonna be the 2017 world champion.(Fail)
3: Toyota wont be as slow as expected, first podium in Sweden (but first both cars crash out of rally MC) (FAIL - edit)
4: i agree we will see Andreas in a 2017polo from Portugal on.(FAIL)(shure hope so!)
5: we wil al agree after the 2017 season that the Citroen is the best car of the pack.(Fail)
6: not 1 of my predictions wil be correct... (WIN)

cali
12th January 2017, 19:59
1: Tanak will suprise in a positive way, winning 3 rally's and matching Ogier's pace on nearly all events.
2: Neuville is gonna be the 2017 world champion.
3: Toyota wont be as slow as expected, first podium in Sweden (but first both cars crash out of rally MC)
4: i agree we will see Andreas in a 2017polo from Portugal on.(shure hope so!)
5: we wil al agree after the 2017 season that the Citroen is the best car of the pack.
6: not 1 of my predictions wil be correct...
I like the last one lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

stefanvv
12th January 2017, 21:19
1. Ogier wins at least 6 rallies this year, few retirements due to car issues. All championships go to M-Sport.(Fail)
2. Tanak takes a win or 2.(Win)
3. Mikkelsen efforts to run win 2017 spec car will pay off and we'll see a team forming in 2018, probably Ogier back to Polo with the RB backing all guns blazing.
4. Breen will surprise us with more podiums.(Fail)
5. Toyota will learn lessons not everything is black or white and they change their driver line-up for 2018 at least 67%.(Fail)

There are more, but these are the highlights.

EstWRC
12th January 2017, 22:56
1. a lot of mechanical/technical retirements and problems, especially for m-sport(Fail)
2. because of the reason nr.1 Ogier wins or loses the title with slightest margin. Neuville and Meeke putting serious pressure on him, Tänak also speedwise. (Fail)
2. Tänak taking his first win (WIN)
3. drama/bad blood in m-sport (Fail)
4. Breen continuing to surprise (Fail)
5. Toyota and Hänninen being faster than expected, Latvala taking a win out of nowhere on some rally (with some help from others) (WIN)
6. Huge gaps between drivers and drivers who dont crash often will also have crashes (Ogier, Sordo, Paddon)(Fail)

Ctesibios
13th January 2017, 02:58
1. Meeke WDC (Fail)
2. Hyundai manu champion (Fail)
3. Paddon second in championship(Fail)
4. At least one major accident involving spectators (hope not, but my feeling is not good at the moment) (WIN)
5. Hanninen gets first Toyota win (FAIL)

Grundo Farb
13th January 2017, 03:37
1. WRC Trophy (2016) car takes stage win (Fail)
2. John Desborough uses the phrase "the man from Dunganon" at least 300 times (WIN)
3. N.O.T says something obnoxious (WIN WIN ..)
4. Paddon is second in the championship (first is either Nueville, Meek or Ogier - can't decide) (Fail)
5. Ostberg gets a new haircut and describes a stage as "great fun, but can't understand why I am so slow"(Fail)

Mintexmemory
13th January 2017, 07:37
4. Paddon is second in the championship (first is either Nueville, Meek or Ogier - can't decide)

Great shout but if you apply logic to this prediction surely Paddon has to be 4th in the Championship?

Toyoda
13th January 2017, 08:47
1) WDC Neuville consistent drive and gets in Ogier and Paddon's head
2) Ogier struggles with setup and car adaption and has mechanical issues though the season.
3) Paddon crashes pushing to hard to match Neuville and claims Hyundai has issues with oversteer and traction in rear all season,
4) Tanak takes a win but also crashes several times
5) Meeke narrowly misses wdc due to inconstancy but claims 3 wins
6) Sordo off the pace but claims a win in Spain
7) Breen has several podiums
8) manufactures title goes to Hyundai
9) Toyota impress in Finland and Sweden with podiums but have issues with breaking things (PART WIN)
10) Andreas Mik joins Citreon mid season in third car replacing Stephan
(WIN)
Sorry I went overboard
Yes and you are 75% WRONG!!! -MM

Grundo Farb
13th January 2017, 09:19
Great shout but if you apply logic to this prediction surely Paddon has to be 4th in the Championship?

I didn't say they would be fighting for 1st only 1 of them will win and Paddon will be second. I covered the bases for the Fiesta, Citroen and Hyundai being the best car. One of them will run away with it and the rest will fight for second with pardon who will beat them :)

eib1
13th January 2017, 09:23
1) Toyota fastest car by far
2) Latvala WDC
3) Ogier won´t win any rally (Fail -edit)
4) nobody retires at MC (Fail - edit)
5) i will stop doing my drugs

If you haven't stopped doing drugs then everything is Failed!!

tommeke_B
13th January 2017, 09:47
1) Citroën will be the quickest car by far, leaving Meeke enough margin to take al lot of wins with clear margin and cruise to the title in "Seb-style".(Fail)
2) Due to lack of cars getting ready (following crashes, obviously), Toyota will have to do more events than planned with just 2 cars.(Fail)
3) WRC2 will have closer battles than WRC, Suninen champion.(Fail)
4) There will be serious issues with spectator control on several events, leading to cancelled stages if not accidents. (WIN)
5) NOT will disappear from the forum due to mental health issues. (Still around!)

Rallyper
13th January 2017, 10:15
2) Ogier struggles with setup and car adaption and has mechanical issues though the season.
3) Paddon crashes pushing to hard to match Neuville and claims Hyundai has issues with oversteer and traction in rear all season,
4) Tanak takes a win but also crashes several times
5) Meeke narrowly misses wdc due to inconstancy but claims 3 wins
6) Sordo off the pace but claims a win in Spain
7) Breen has several podiums
8) manufactures title goes to Hyundai
9) Toyota impress in Finland and Sweden with podiums but have issues with breaking things
10) Andreas Mik joins Citreon mid season in third car replacing Stephan

Sorry I went overboard

I think we have to suspend Toyoda. He doesn´t follow the rules ... ;)

Mintexmemory
13th January 2017, 10:25
I think we have to suspend Toyoda. He doesn´t follow the rules ... ;)

If we suspended everyone who didn't follow the rules..........
However, I will apply what examiners call 'rubric error'. You've been asked for 3 examples and give 5, so only the first 3 you give are marked.
I would love to see Sordo win in Spain but I don't think Hyundai will perform well on tarmac (another from me!!)
Becksy joins weightwatchers and loses 24kg!!!

EightGear
13th January 2017, 10:52
1. Colin Clark will continue to wear even more pink clothes.
2. Ogier will be champion, but only just. Close battles with Meeke and Neuville while Tanak and Paddon are not far off either.
3. Ostberg mentions his newly created 'learning curve' at least 42 times at stage ends.
4. Hanninen impresses and after some time equals Latvala, who becomes frustrated and gets destroyed mentally. (I'd say after 4 ralies he's been less than impressive!)5. Wins for 5 drivers (in order of most to least wins): Ogier, Meeke, Neuville, Paddon, Tanak. (Missed JML)

GravelBen
13th January 2017, 11:11
1) WDC Neuville consistent drive and gets in Ogier's head

I know Ogier has a big head, but I don't think its quite big enough for Neuville to fit in there even if you opened the top up.

Rallyper
13th January 2017, 11:14
If we suspended everyone who didn't follow the rules..........
However, I will apply what examiners call 'rubric error'. You've been asked for 3 examples and give 5, so only the first 3 you give are marked.
I would love to see Sordo win in Spain but I don't think Hyundai will perform well on tarmac (another from me!!)
Becksy joins weightwatchers and loses 24kg!!!

All credits to this topic, which is so fun reading. Very good invention from you Mintex. However it was asked five (5) predictions :). Maybe we could have the chance to five more if we like to change, like Pickems, you know, my new ones would be like this:

1. Colin changes to new colour on his scarfves.
2. Ostberg wins one round.
3. Toyota win Manus WC.
4. Ogier failures in winning any event in the first half and has a nervous breakdown and starts RX-ing instead. (FAIL -edit)
5. NOT gives a reasonable good predict in his five crystal balls.

Btw - where is NOT? Waiting to see if my 5th will correspond. :) :) (As you well know our resident oracle is far too cool to indulge in prediction that is open to critical examination!)

Rally Power
13th January 2017, 11:28
Bertelli and Prokop more dangerous than Meeke and Tanak? They are more cautious and when they crash they do it at lower speed.

Hmmm...just hope Bertelli can "cautiously" improve his "lower speed crash" technique; for now it really doesn't look low enought...http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4mlrmk

Marcco
13th January 2017, 11:53
1) Ogier wins championship after intense fight with Meeke
2) Following Ogier’s win and solid season from Tanak, M-sport takes manufactures title but only buy couple points.
3) Hyundai misses manufacturers title by couple points after intense internal battle between Neuville and Paddon (these two end up 3-4 not far from Meeke)
4) Toyota takes 3rd in manufacturers title after their drivers focuses more on finishing rallies for development.
5) Citroen takes 4th in manufacturers title while being best car in 2017. (Actually they will be 4th because the car is a dog!)
*extra 6) There are at least 3 theoretical WDC going into last round.

Doon
13th January 2017, 12:42
1. Jon Desborough uses the word 'eclipse' more than 10 times per every 1 hour show
2. Latvala will not find the "feeling"
3. Meeke will remind us that he doesn't have as much experience as the others.
4. Ogier World Rally Champion.
5. I will enter my first (...and probably only) WRC event.

dupanton
13th January 2017, 13:18
5. I will enter my first (...and probably only) WRC event.

Crazy idea or a real possibility?

Meekefan
13th January 2017, 13:26
1) Ogier will take the championship fighting with Meeke
2) Hyundai will be manufacturers champion. Citroen and Ford will loose the champioship due to irregularity of second drivers.
3) Citroen will be unbateable in asphalt (Fail - Beaten by own failing in Corsica)4) Toyota will be better than the most of forum members expect (some podium will be achieved) (WIN)

tomhlord
13th January 2017, 13:32
1 - World Champion, Ogier
2 - Toyota will achieve 3 podium finishes across 2017 (WIN (at least if you''d put 'at least')
3 - Tanak, Sweden Winner (FAIL)
4 - DMACK and Evans to win Wales RallyGB
5 - Neuville will finish 2nd in the drivers championship

Rallyper
13th January 2017, 13:56
Crazy idea or a real possibility?

Depends on entering as spectator or driver... ;)

Doon
13th January 2017, 14:32
Depends on entering as spectator or driver... ;)

Quite likely and as driver

KiwiWRCfan
13th January 2017, 14:36
1) The season begins with four drivers of four different nationalities in cars with four different liveries taking wins in Monte Carlo, Sweden, Mexico and Corsica. (WIN if you'd stopped right here!) Going into Rally Argentina we have a fourth different leader of drivers points table.
Media and fans already starting to call it most exciting WRC season ever
2) RedBull TV strategy of televising Saturday midday stages live becomes a huge success, many position changes occur live on TV. Sport begins attracting new younger fans
3) Hyundai enter their R5's in Asia Pacific Rally Championship to end Skoda's recent run of uncontested FIA titles
4) In second half of season 3 drivers finish a rally with only 7 seconds separating them. They create history of closest ever WRC podium
5) Drivers and Manufacturers titles are not decided until Power Stage in Australia

and for 2 bonus points
6) Tommi Makinen enters himself in Rally Finland with Akio Toyoda as his codriver.
7) Professional photographers at Rally GB compete for the "N.O.T. Award" given for best photo featuring Autumn leaf colours

Rallyper
13th January 2017, 15:12
I´m sure N.O.T. is sitting at home making last revision on his stunning contribution to this thread, being published in a few hours from now. Maybe though after midnight. Right NOT?

electroliquid
13th January 2017, 16:23
1) Ogier World Champion 5th time. Points gap won't be that big like past few seasons, but still...Meeke will make mistakes, Latvala is Latvala, Neuville turning into Latvala's style driver - fast but not very strong minded...
2) M-Sport win manufacturers title. Ogier still be The Best, and Tanak will win event or two. When Tanak fail Evans could be good enough wingman for Ogier. Citroen - one mans army, Hyundai - no strong leader, they only has chance of they have really better car; Toyota - lack of experience. (WIN-ish)
3) Toyota will be faster than many expects, they win some podiums. (WIN)
4) No serious problems with reliability, or increased number of big crashes. But there will be much more minor incidents like bit too wide and rear stuck into something, or cut too much in third/fourth corner of group of corners, due to higher corner speed, and broken suspension/transmission (FAIL - Citroen have major problems)
5) We will hear about plans of new/comeback manufacturer in WRC or WRC2 category.

Gregor-y
13th January 2017, 16:24
I'll phrase my predictions based on when I started to follow the WRC regularly around 2000 (though my number one is more early 90s).

1. Meeke in the Citroen is Sainz in the Celica. All the work finally pays off with a championship for a fast, deserving driver in a competitive year
2. Ogier in the Ford is McRae in the Ford. Big expectations, breakdown, breakdown, frustration, crash, breakdown but still ends up second or third in the championship
3. Latvala in the Toyota is Gardemeister in the Seat. Great on paper, some good stage results, but it doesn't translate to wins and can't get into contention for champion (FAIL)
4. Neuville in the Hyundai is Panizzi in the Peugeot. Very fast but only in ideal conditions so he's high in the championship but can't get enough points on gravel to be champion
5. Tanak in the Ford is Loix in the Lancer. "We have a second car. Some guy over there is driving it. Look over here; it's Makinen/Ogier!"

Special mention: Dani Sordo is Dani Sordo. Consistent points but will take a few calamities at the top of the leader board for him to get a win. Good overall points for the year, though. Enough to make Hyundai the manufacturers champion.

Suusameister
13th January 2017, 16:35
1) At least 1 corner where only 40% come out clean.
2) The flat out on-board footage will get 450 000 views on youtube
3) We see two new sponsors coming in - Lego and Nvidia
4) The new camera angles will also include the co-driver perspective
5) At the end of the season Ferrari will announce their WRC comeback

EightGear
13th January 2017, 16:54
Oh I forgot 1:
6. WRC onboard cameras will downgrade from 10 fps to 5 fps.

pantealex
13th January 2017, 17:21
1) Ogier champ (easy 1p)
2) There will be other cars in power stage points than WRC17 in several races
3) 3 different winners in first 3 events (Win)
4) we are going to see over 15 WRC17 cars in same rally.
5) Mikkelsen will start with VW this year several times.

Bonus: Toyota will get fastest SS time in Sweden but not in MC (WIN)
Bonus2: Mexico will see only 6 WRC17 in Top10 overall.

Lousada
13th January 2017, 17:57
1) Breen will take his first WRC victory.
2) Hyundai will take the title, but Neuville loses the WDC because the team refuses to give teamorders during the season
3) Meeke will lose the WDC because he has too many punctures and suspension failures, which he and his fans will describe as 'bad luck'.
4) Ogier will continue to complain about his road position.
5) People who read this thread at the end of the year do not remember what the WRC Trophy was.

Mariusz
13th January 2017, 18:18
I´m sure N.O.T. is sitting at home making last revision on his stunning contribution to this thread, being published in a few hours from now. Maybe though after midnight. Right NOT?
Or maybe he's still trying to figure out why there is no VW on MC entry list.

Franky
13th January 2017, 19:11
Or maybe he's still trying to figure out why there is no VW on MC entry list.

He is busy on the Dakar thread.

sollitt
13th January 2017, 21:23
Sorry I went overboard The only head Neuville has ever been able to get into is his own. And the paranoia seems set to continue judging by his latest publicized tweet.
Let's hope he puts it all behind and delivers the season e all know he's capable of and we all want to see.

sollitt
13th January 2017, 21:26
1. Ogier quickly on the pace. Good driver, good car, good team. Competitive but not dominant.(WIN)
2. Neuville and Paddon both take multiple wins. In hunt for title all season.
3. Mikkelsen back in WRC car by round 3. (FAIL)
4. Meeke to live up to mentor's nickname.
5. NOT to win Sick Dog village Ladyboy fashion parade. (WIN as a result of Toyota win in Sweden)

Meekefan
13th January 2017, 21:38
I forgot the fifth prediction.

1) Ogier will take the championship fighting with Meeke
2) Hyundai will be manufacturers champion. Citroen and Ford will loose the champioship due to irregularity of second drivers.
3) Citroen will be unbateable in asphalt
4) Toyota will be better than the most of forum members expect (some podium will be achieved)
5) Mikkelsen will take a sabatic year enjoying to make some tests and develop the VW Polo, that will be running with team Qatar in 2018 (FAIL)

Thousandlakes
13th January 2017, 22:10
1. Meeke ready to take first wdc. Ogier has too many mechanical problems. Many different winners and Neuville in good pace also.

2. Toyota takes first win in end of the season and first podium and stage win in Sweden. (FAIL _edit)

3. Suninen and Lappi surprises all. First stage wins in Poland (Half WIN)

4. Kalle Rovanperä turning 17 before rally of Wales so he will drive there r5 or wrc17

5. 17 cars will be 0.75-1.25 sec/km faster than wrc16 first half of season. Second half 1.25-2.00 sec/km faster

Grutz
13th January 2017, 23:36
1) Drivers title decided in Australia, Paddon wins after starting Rally in 3rd.
2) Loeb convinced out of Retirement by Citreon to replace Breen/Lefebvre and wins 1 of 2 rallies entered, decides to do full 2018 championship
3) Toyota wins 1 rally during year after rally of major misfortune. (half WIN)
4) Ogier and Mikkelsen form "private VW" team for 2018 (FAIL)
5) Ogier fast in Ford but too many "Issues"

Zeakiwi
14th January 2017, 01:59
1)I expect to see Ogier with his head under the bonnet of the Fiesta on stages. 'Zee wasn't enuf testing & some bits have broken'. (WIN)
2)Sordo near the pointy end of the WDC due to consistency.
3) Evans to win his first event when the D-Macks match the surface better than the Michelins, very frustrated on events when tyres are 'slow'.
4) Mikkelsen and Tidemand to be drivers for VW North (Norway/ Sweden) running 2016 cars (from mid-season European rounds) with Qatar, 'Circle-K fuel company' and 'Urge-Intense' & 'Nexcite' energy drink branding. NAA turning up when rounds don't mesh with Cross country. (FAIL)
5) Latvala struggles to find his 'rhythm' by mid-season, retires to a Lappland vehicle testing facility. (FAIL)

jiipee64
14th January 2017, 04:07
1) Hänninen will win in Monte. Not by a Toyota factor but because a "Monte" factor. (FAIL-edit)

2) Citroens first podium is not from Meeke.(FAIL)

3) Tanak will win before Ogier. ( FAIL - edit)

4) Neuville will be leading WDC at some point.

5) Rally Finland will be VERY SPECTACULAR.

amilk
14th January 2017, 09:25
1. Min. 5 different pilot and 3 different manuf. will win rounds in 2017+ Mikkelsen will win a round in 2017
2. Ogier, Neuville, Meeke top3 at the end, most interesting year in past years
2. Cars become too fast - some huge crash coming, new reglations will come in 1-2 years
3. Monte Ogier win (WIN)
4. WRC Promoter become "nervous" due to Rallycross popularity and try to find out new stupid rules to rallying for next years

RS
14th January 2017, 09:35
1) Malcolm finally gets a Sebastian, but this time the car isn't quite up to scratch. Ogler still fights for the championship but through consistency rather than speed.

2) New WRCars mostly don't look much quicker than the previous generation once they are in rally conditions and the WRC TV people have done their best to make them look as slow as possible.

3) VW take delivery of a pair of Fabia R5s to help them develop the Polo R5. Mikelssen mixes events in Polo WRC17 with R5 testing.(FAIL)

4) Mads Ostberg struggles with car 'problems', although these problems are not rally ending or visible to the human eye.

5) Subaru are seen cosying up to Kenneth Ericsson and decide to copy their Japanese rivals by appointing him to run their WRC programme. Ericsson sets up base in Sweden and immediately signs Pontus Tidemand and Emil Berqvist to drive in 2018. Forum member Rallyper issues a statement saying "The only thing that could make me happier is if the FIA banned asphalt rallying"

dimviii
14th January 2017, 11:18
5) Subaru are seen cosying up to Kenneth Ericsson and decide to copy their Japanese rivals by appointing him to run their WRC programme. Ericsson sets up base in Sweden and immediately signs Pontus Tidemand and Emil Berqvist to drive in 2018. Forum member Rallyper issues a statement saying "The only thing that could make me happier is if the FIA banned asphalt rallying"

ahahahhahahaha best prediction so far!!

AndyRAC
14th January 2017, 11:38
1) Hänninen will win in Monte. Not by a Toyota factor but because a "Monte" factor.

Which would be ironic, seeing as he lost a Monte due to 'monte factor' - and Bouffier benefitted.
However, we don't seem to see this anymore in the WRC; I think 1997 and Liatti winning mainly due to a fast time on Sisteron - was the last time a WRC Monte was won like this.

Simmi
14th January 2017, 11:58

For real where is Kenneth these days? You still see drivers from that era out competing in the odd rally or at least attending events. Not seen anything from Eriksson in years...

Rallyper
14th January 2017, 14:19
For real where is Kenneth these days? You still see drivers from that era out competing in the odd rally or at least attending events. Not seen anything from Eriksson in years...

I think flying his own built helicopter. But knows nothing more.

Rallyper
14th January 2017, 14:23
1) Malcolm finally gets a Sebastian, but this time the car isn't quite up to scratch. Ogler still fights for the championship but through consistency rather than speed.

2) New WRCars mostly don't look much quicker than the previous generation once they are in rally conditions and the WRC TV people have done their best to make them look as slow as possible.

3) VW take delivery of a pair of Fabia R5s to help them develop the Polo R5. Mikelssen mixes events in Polo WRC17 with R5 testing.

4) Mads Ostberg struggles with car 'problems', although these problems are not rally ending or visible to the human eye.

Yeah, that last one was really good. However both swedish guys has won on asphalt. I would rather say RMC out and Arctic rally in. And then I would like to be the one choosing drivers for the team which contents three top drivers. Third would be ...

stefanvv
14th January 2017, 14:28

They'll please me if use STi for this.

Barreis
14th January 2017, 14:42
worst thread in 15 years that i read this forum

Negaiss
14th January 2017, 15:14
1. Driver bravery and courage is much more visible. Ogier, Meeke, Tanak, Latvala, Neuville and Paddon ar clearly faster than enybody else;
2. Ogier wins Montecarlo by 2 minutes. First minute because he smashes everybody and second minute because his folowers are dropping out like flies !(WIN)
3. Mikkelsen 5th overall in Monte with R5; (FAIL - edit but only just!!)
4. Tanak wins Poland, but only 7th in champinship due to crashes and car problems;(Fail)
5. Latvala is on Pace -wins a lot of stages (at least 18) during 2017, but rally wins just won't come - 5th in a championship;(FAIL)

stefanvv
14th January 2017, 15:14
It is just for I believe.

AL14
14th January 2017, 15:25
worst thread in 15 years that i read this forum

Nobody cares.

RS
14th January 2017, 15:37
Yeah, that last one was really good. However both swedish guys has won on asphalt. I would rather say RMC out and Arctic rally in. And then I would like to be the one choosing drivers for the team which contents three top drivers. Third would be ...

I just couldn't think of three Swedes who were ready but i'm sure you could?

cali
14th January 2017, 15:38
PG Andersson och Daniel Carlsson ;)

pantealex
14th January 2017, 15:46

Mattias Ekström :)

I don´t think even Rallyper knows any faster 3rd swede

cali
14th January 2017, 16:10
Mattias Ekström :)

I don´t think even Rallyper knows any faster 3rd swede
Errrmmm.... Mats Jonsson? :D

dupanton
14th January 2017, 16:21
Errrmmm.... Mats Jonsson? :D

Per Eklund!

cosmin_sb
14th January 2017, 17:57
1.Neuville can be WDC but I have some doubt...Ogier again??
2 M-sport will win the manufacturing championship
3 Mikkelsen in top 8 at Monte Carlo rally(WIN)4 Toyota will win 1st rally this season (WIN)
5 Meeke will 3 rallies this season...one of them will be Swedish rally (FAIL)

Rallyper
14th January 2017, 18:25
No, no. Never said third man would be swedish. I´d choose Kalle R in third car. And Oliver Solberg in R5 version becoming youngest winner of WRC2 in 2020.

GravelBen
15th January 2017, 03:32

I saw him driving Possum Bourne's old Impreza at the Race to the Sky hillclimb in 2006/2007 so he was still competing then, no idea about the last 10 years though.

Morte66
15th January 2017, 11:50
1. Kris Meeke world champion, winning on the last day
2. Hyundai beat Citroen by a whisker on the final day
3. M-Sport, Ogier and Tanak all in mathematical contention for championships with 3 races to go
4. More than half the rallies have 3 different teams on the podium
5. Mikkelsen hired by WRC1 team before 31 December 2017 (WIN)

raybak
16th January 2017, 10:13
1. Peter Roberts from Wauchope to win Rally Australia in a Red Bull Polo.
2. Toyota to finish 2nd in Manufacturers Title
3. Hyundai Manufacturer champs
4. Paddon 2nd in WRC
5. Ogier wins 5th title

Jewy46
16th January 2017, 15:29
Hi all, just want to say hello as this is my first time posting.
I'm a new member but have been watching the forum for a couple of months now and enjoyed what I was reading so decided to join.
You might be able to guess what country I am from judging from my predictions :P

1. Meeke to win WDC by 1 point. His power stage points throughout the year will be the difference
2. Breen to finish in top 5 in Monte Carlo in WRC and win his first rally later in the year
3. Finland will be the fastest rally ever recorded for the second year running
4. Toyota will take at least 3 podiums
5. Loeb will make a comeback drive on at least 1 round

BigWorm
16th January 2017, 15:51
1. Breen will be the highest finishing Citroën driver in Monte (WIN)
2. Sordo will win 2 events
3. Al Qassimi will contribute with points for Citroën
4. Mikkelsen will not be driving a WRC car this year (FAIL)
5. Ogier will have at least 2 consecutive retirements for the first time in his WRC career

A FONDO
16th January 2017, 16:10
Hi all, just want to say hello as this is my first time posting.
I'm a new member but have been watching the forum for a couple of months now and enjoyed what I was reading so decided to join.
You might be able to guess what country I am from judging from my predictions :P

Hi and welcome. I joined here 5 years ago during that Monte with GO FAST liveries :D

Jewy46
16th January 2017, 16:22
Hi and welcome. I joined here 5 years ago during that Monte with GO FAST liveries :D

Ah yes the one with Henning's Fiesta, cool livery! Thanks for the welcome :D

To give you some more background on myself I have been involved in rallying all my life, competing since I was 16 as a driver. Although the insurance costs have risen so that entry fees are very expensive in my country I hope to compete again this year in the Junior category.
Like you all I'm a huge WRC fan and have been lucky enough to have spectated at 5 WRC events and hopefully more in the future.
I like this forum because of the great knowledge you all have and your passion for the sport.
Looking forward to having some friendly banter (fun) with you all!

GeoFerg_Sco
16th January 2017, 20:06
1 Meeke will win the WDC on rally gb
2 Tanak will win 2 Rallies
3 Ogier will crash out on 3 Rallies
4 Latvala will be on the podium 3 times (win)
5 Citroen will win manufacturers championship

rayh_mx
16th January 2017, 20:54
1. The battle for the WDC is centered between Ogier, Meeke and Neuville, until the end of the championship is defined
2. The start of Mexico Rally (In CDMX, 400 km far away from HQ) is spectacular but the Rally Director says he will not repeat it again (as well as the 80km stage) (FAIL - was a waste of time!!!)
3. Crashvala will do it 3 times in a row
4. Sordo will not win either in Spain and decide to retire at the end of the championship
5. None of my predictions will be correct but first

jparker
16th January 2017, 20:57
1. Ford will not win the title, again.
2. Ogier will not dominate this time.
3. Toyota will do better than Citroen.
4. It looks good for Hyundai.

However, I have no clue who is going to win Sweden (foggy crystal ball).

AndyRAC
16th January 2017, 21:10
1. Ford will not win the title, again.

Well, yes, that's obvious.....You probably mean M-Sport.

jparker
16th January 2017, 21:20
Yes, that's correct. I'll go little further as MW being more obvious. Anyway, we all got the point.

focus206
16th January 2017, 22:05
1 - C3 is the fastest car and allows Meeke to win the championship, in front of Ogier and Neuville, Paddon not far
2 - Hyundai wins manufacturer title because Breen and Lefebvre don't bring enough points to Citroen
3 - Fiesta is not as fast/reliable as C3 and i20, but Ogier fights for the title nontheless
4 - Toyota manages to get a couple of podiums, one in Finland
5 - Henning and Sordo will retire from the WRC at the end of the season

Mk2 RS2000
16th January 2017, 22:14
1. During 2017 it will be announced that Rally NZ is returning to the WRC in 2018
2. Hyundai will win the World Manufacturers Championship
3. The WRC Drivers Championship will not be decided until the final round of the championship
4. Ogier will not win the Drivers Championship
5. That all manufacturers will win a minimum of one round of the championship (WIN)
6. That the Hyundai drivers will work together as a team until the Manufacturers Championship has been decided before chasing their own individual target of securing the Drivers Championship

Grundo Farb
16th January 2017, 22:35

1. Meeke to win WDC by 1 point. His power stage points throughout the year will be the difference
2. Breen to finish in top 5 in Monte Carlo in WRC and win his first rally later in the year
3. Finland will be the fastest rally ever recorded for the second year running
4. Toyota will take at least 3 podiums
5. Loeb will make a comeback drive on at least 1 round

Finland because you obviously are deluded about Team Finland Gazoo racings chances...

Or maybe a deluded Irishman?

Rallyper
16th January 2017, 22:56
Finland because you obviously are deluded about Team Finland Gazoo racings chances...

Maybe half frenchman as well. :)

Jewy46
17th January 2017, 08:00

Maybe half frenchman as well. :)

One of you is right, I'm an Irishman of course. I thought I made it quite obvious with my "delusional" predictions! :P

On a serious note I think Toyota's podiums will be handed to them by others mistakes rather than the speed of the car. I have a feeling the car will be fairly reliable but not that quick (at the start anyway)
Yes I'm patriotic in thinking Meeke could win the World Championship but I think the C3 could end up being superior to the rest throughout the year and having followed his career I know Meeke is capable of winning most rallies (once he stays on the road).
The C3 is also the reason I think Breen could win a rally as he takes a more calculated approach than most but when he pushes he is fast.

Marcco
17th January 2017, 08:59
5 - Henning and Sordo will retire from the WRC at the end of the season

But Henning isn't actually participating in WRC (I mean full time) :)

Mintexmemory
31st January 2017, 13:44
A few predictors already have 1 fail after Monte (edited to show on their entry) but a number of predictions did come true.
Meeke fan, Electoliquid and SMS Grafica all predicted a Toyota podium in 2017, SMS being specific about the Monte
amilk said Ogier would win Monte but Negaiss was more accurate in saying it would be by 2 mins (2.15 was the actual)
Cosmin had Mikkelsen in the top 8 at RMC, while Bigworm correctly predicted Breen to be the best placed Citroen driver on the opening round.
Sadly Ctesibios' prediction of a major spectator accident came to pass and tommeke-b is already proven to be accurate in his prediction that there would be cancelled stages due to spectator control issues
Lastly (and how this was foreseeable I just can't understand!) Grundo Farb identified that NOT would say something obnoxious. However that only counts as 1 correct, regardless of the number of repetitions!
Sweden will throw up some more correct predictions if Toyota get a podium but more are in line to be incorrect than will be right!
Becksy still doesn't look to be shedding any spare padding but maybe I'll be proven right when she starts jogging in the Summer!

Rallyper
13th February 2017, 18:02
So far my #1 predict is correct. And I´m glad to it. ;) See #9

Mintexmemory
14th February 2017, 10:14
So far my #1 predict is correct. And I´m glad to it. ;) See #9
Now Per will be hoping that Toyota fail for the rest of the year as he said that would be their only win.
EST WRC was correct that Latvala would take a win with help from others (have to say he should be sending Thierry a big bowl of fruit). Cosmin also predicted a 2017 Toyota rally win. Toyoda was half right that Toyota would get a podium in Sweden but have problems with things breaking (not so far...).
Donkey ears for me; "Toyota won't win a rally in 2017. Gregor-y; "Toyota form doesn't translate into wins. Tomhlord; "Tanak wins in Sweden". Negaiss; "Latvala wins just won't come"..and best of all Ivar; "Sweden will be cancelled because of lack of snow and ice". Slightly wrong was Ctesibos in saying Haninen would be first Toyota rally winner.
Finally the absolute end of the VW saga has made Pantealex, RS. Grutz and Zeakiwi all join the WRONG group for their various Mikkelsen and/or Ogier in a 2017 VW predictions.
Mexico next where if there are Ogier and Latvala crashes a number of predictors will be vindicated!

pantealex
14th February 2017, 10:25
This is what I said:

You can´t say after Sweden that I got it wrong ;)
(There is 2016 Polo which he can start with)

Mintexmemory
14th February 2017, 15:46
This is what I said:

You can´t say after Sweden that I got it wrong ;)
(There is 2016 Polo which he can start with)

Very well I will not count that as a fail yet :) however the moment all 2016 Polos are reported as being crushed ( like in Pulp Fiction) I shall act in a childish 'I was right' manner!

KiwiWRCfan
9th April 2017, 13:21
4 different winners in opening 4 rounds. Surely lots of crystal balls will have predicted that.

Mintexmemory
9th April 2017, 16:25
4 different winners in opening 4 rounds. Surely lots of crystal balls will have predicted that.

Ha ha - nothing like self-promotion!! Yes KiwiWRCfan successfully predicted 4 different winners in the opening 4 rounds!! Not a perfect prediction though as he added- "Going into Rally Argentina we have a fourth different leader of drivers points table"
Only 2 different leaders thus far.
Mk2RS2000 also has been proven correct with the 'All manufacturers will win a minimum of one round'.
Eigth Gear should count themselves as very wrong in saying 'Hanninen impresses' - well maybe the odd rock and tree!
Also WOTM was Meekefan who said the 'Citroen will be unbeatable on asphalt'

Best accurate prediction from France goes to Zeakiwi who said Ogier 'spends a lot of time with his head under the Fiesta bonnet'!!

Mintexmemory
24th May 2017, 12:57
Ok - time for a predictions update as Portugal and the subsequent events has wrecked some of the predicted outcomes but brought others to reality!
RP and Toyoda have got Andreas Mikkelsen joining Citroen correct. Toyoda correctly saying he'd replace Lefevbre. RP isn't 100% accurate as AM isn't yet the '2nd car'. Monte 66 was correct that AM would be in a WRC1 car in 2017. However because AM is back AFTER Portugal smsgrafica, BigWorm, Duval and Rallyper's predictions are dead in the water. 2017 Polo appearing is as good as gone but I suppose - can't close that until the Oz entry list is published.
Grundo Farb's Desborough exceeding 300 'Man from Dungannon' prediction has gone platinum!
At halfway through the season Tanak, Evans and Paddon have still to get a win (let alone 3) Meeke just has the 1 win but could get 2 more to bring some selections home. Hanninen is yet to impress or cause JML to feel frustrated.
However the biggest number of failing predictions (wishful thinking?) concern the champ.
He hasn't fallen out with M-Sport
He has no crashes, DNFs, mechanical retirements to date
Appears just as quick as ever
Seems to be improving the Fiesta...
And doesn't seem too concerned about road position (comments are not 'complaints'!)

jparker
27th May 2017, 10:33
However the biggest number of failing predictions (wishful thinking?) concern the champ.
He hasn't fallen out with M-Sport
He has no crashes, DNFs, mechanical retirements to date
Appears just as quick as ever
Seems to be improving the Fiesta...
And doesn't seem too concerned about road position (comments are not 'complaints'!)

You are twisting the facts a little bit, and is too early to sum things up.
Ogier is far from what he was with VW.
Neuville's prediction that Ogier may not be as competitive as in the past still stands true for now. Yes, Ford are making progress, but the game is still on.

Mintexmemory
31st May 2017, 15:34
You are twisting the facts a little bit, and is too early to sum things up.
Ogier is far from what he was with VW.
Neuville's prediction that Ogier may not be as competitive as in the past still stands true for now. Yes, Ford are making progress, but the game is still on.
Care to say exactly which fact you think I've twisted?
Mr Neuville's use of English is a little imprecise.
Being 'competitive' means to be able to compete against the opposition with some expectation of success. So far Ogier has as many wins as Neuville in a car he wasn't testing all last year.
While he isn't as dominant as he was in 'his' Polo he is certainly competing well enough to lead the Championship having just given everyone else a lesson (in consistency and /or gravel speed).

jparker
1st June 2017, 17:39
Care to say exactly which fact you think I've twisted?
Mr Neuville's use of English is a little imprecise.
Being 'competitive' means to be able to compete against the opposition with some expectation of success. So far Ogier has as many wins as Neuville in a car he wasn't testing all last year.
While he isn't as dominant as he was in 'his' Polo he is certainly competing well enough to lead the Championship having just given everyone else a lesson (in consistency and /or gravel speed).

Mr. Neuville's prediction was that Ogier will not be dominant this year, and may be difficult for him to win the title again. This is exactly right at this point in time, and prediction still stands.
Surprisingly, you are admitting the same thing, except that you believe Ogier already won the title.

Edit: About what facts you are twisting, this one "Appears just as quick as ever".

Mintexmemory
1st June 2017, 20:43
Mr. Neuville's prediction was that Ogier will not be dominant this year, and may be difficult for him to win the title again. This is exactly right at this point in time, and prediction still stands.
Surprisingly, you are admitting the same thing, except that you believe Ogier already won the title.

Edit: About what facts you are twisting, this one "Appears just as quick as ever".
I doubt any other driver in a Fiesta would have scored top 4 in every round, certainly not scoring 2 wins. If you doubt that Ogier can beat anyone at the moment in equal machinery then you don't know what you are seeing when you watch a rally. It's a huge shame we can't organise a wager on this as I have a 100 quid that says Ogier will be champ this year.
Bottom line - he is able to out perform Tanak in identical machinery because he has 10% in reserve and Tanak is alway on or over the limit. Portugal showed the same for everyone else.

EstWRC
1st June 2017, 20:56
how much reserve Ogier had in Sweden and Argentina then? 50%? more?

Rally Power
1st June 2017, 21:05
I doubt any other driver in a Fiesta would have scored top 4 in every round, certainly not scoring 2 wins.

Yep, Ogier did a remarkable job managing to be the series leader, despite starting the season in a totally new team and car. Now that he has the car fitted for him and he feels more at ease inside the team, it'll be hard for competitors to avoid his 5th WRC title...

jparker
1st June 2017, 21:13
I doubt any other driver in a Fiesta would have scored top 4 in every round, certainly not scoring 2 wins. If you doubt that Ogier can beat anyone at the moment in equal machinery then you don't know what you are seeing when you watch a rally. It's a huge shame we can't organise a wager on this as I have a 100 quid that says Ogier will be champ this year.
Bottom line - he is able to out perform Tanak in identical machinery because he has 10% in reserve and Tanak is alway on or over the limit. Portugal showed the same for everyone else.

I don't disagree with your words above, but obviously you don't understand what I'm trying to tell you. Anyway, doesn't really matter.

stefanvv
1st June 2017, 21:24
how much reserve Ogier had in Sweden and Argentina then? 50%? more?

No, but enough to manage his championship.

jparker
1st June 2017, 21:29
Yep, Ogier did a remarkable job managing to be the series leader, despite starting the season in a totally new team and car. Now that he has the car fitted for him and he feels more at ease inside the team, it'll be hard for competitors to avoid his 5th WRC title...

Yes, Neuville mentioned that he had no answer to Ogier's speed on the deep gravel in Portugl, and probably that's the way in Sardinia will be, but after that things may turn in different direction.

Tarmop
2nd June 2017, 09:25
Again with the percentages and on and over the limit talk. Most of the time drivers themselves don`t know but online-racers know the truth.:D
When in a good position, all of them tend to say that there`s room but they take it safe...or when make a massive time, they say they thought they were slow, can go faster and also when someone is not doing so great they are surprised, how this is possible. Mind games yes, but still...not so simple. When watching onboards and other videos you can see quite big mistakes from everyone in the front. Some have luck, some don`t but this is top-level rallying.

What do we call identical...each driver can have his own setup and has to use those details in different linked events. The difference can be quite big...

Mintexmemory
2nd June 2017, 12:07
Ok guys - enough of the 'how much is Ogier's mental game stillaffecting the opposition' debate - this is the crystal balls thread wheras Ogier's are couilles d'acien. If someone would like to take this up as a new thread, be my guest. One last parting shot. Does anyone think that if there was a Polo 17 team that the WRC leader would be any different?

Eli
2nd June 2017, 12:17
Ok guys - enough of the 'how much is Ogier's mental game stillaffecting the opposition' debate - this is the crystal balls thread wheras Ogier's are couilles d'acien. If someone would like to take this up as a new thread, be my guest. One last parting shot. Does anyone think that if there was a Polo 17 team that the WRC leader would be any different?
Nope, he might have even shown us a stronger, healthier lead in the championship, perhaps with more wins, or maybe it would have been an all VW fight with podium lock outs, perhaps besides the times Jari wouldn't be able to finish a rally.

AnttiL
2nd June 2017, 12:38
Nope, he might have even shown us a stronger, healthier lead in the championship, perhaps with more wins, or maybe it would have been an all VW fight with podium lock outs, perhaps besides the times Jari wouldn't be able to finish a rally.

This. Besides Neuville would have become frustrated and made more mistakes.

Mintexmemory
23rd July 2017, 13:53
Just an update on successes and fails after the last 2 rallies:
Tomhlord, GeoFerg_Sco and Jewy46 have one way or another said Toyota would get 3 podia (correct plural of podium) this year.
Sollitt is pretty much confirmed in the opinion that 'Ogier will be competitive but not dominant'
Electroliquid, Ivar, AL14, Est and Stefan VV have all been proved right with Tanak's win in Sardinia.
Dupanton is partially right in that Tanak became the 5th different winner but in 4 different cars, not 3.
Thousandlakes had a partial success in saying that Lappi and Suninen would surprise with stage wins in Poland, actually Lappi got his maiden stage win earlier.
Finally in the list of successes - I was proved correct when a stage was cancelled in Poland.

Fails were registered by A Fondo (African immigrant boat issues did not cause cancellation in Sardinia!!) and rp (Jarko Nikara in 4th Toyota at NRF)

Currently a number of vaguely phrased predictions need to run a little further but Ogier is certainly not fighting Meeke for WDC and Neuville does not appear to be under team pressure from Paddon.
We wait to see if NRF turns out to be the fastest average speed rally of all time and how much faster WRC17 cars are than their predecessors.

Mintexmemory
24th October 2017, 08:02
Update pre-WRGB:

Well folks it looks like two of my 5 are going to be correct come Sunday evening - Ogier champ and Australia an expensive sight-seeing trip. rp will also be pleased with the Ogier win but whether it brings the blue oval back is still doubtful.
smsgrafica has already blown all 5 with Hyundai not being manufacturer champs and Meeke as WC!!
A Fondo definitely was wrong about Fords retiring in half the events, Hyundai and (although things were shaky for a while) Hanninen being replaced. Rallyper, AI 14, Eli are all on the money with an Ogier WDC (Cmon there can't be anyone that thinks otherwise after that testing footage!).
Duvel needs one more Tanak win to have been completely right about the Estonian hero's progress. All Polo bets are now officially OFF.
Grundo Farb has only 2 rallies to see a 2016 car take a stage win - don't hold your breath! Sorry Toyoda, Neuville never managed to get inside Ogier's head - the space was all taken up with supreme confidence! EightGear has called Latvala's drop in form correctly. More tomorrow

AnttiL
24th October 2017, 08:08
EightGear has called Latvala's drop in form correctly. More tomorrow

???

referring this?

4. Hanninen impresses and after some time equals Latvala, who becomes frustrated and gets destroyed mentally.

Latvala has been plagued by technical issues for the later half of the season, wouldn't call that "destroyed mentally"

Mintexmemory
24th October 2017, 08:23
???

referring this? lf of the season, wouldn't call that "destroyed mentally"

Sorry just being mischievous - however how do we know that the mechanical issues haven't been the car picking up on JML's mental state. Fact is I bet someone 4 years ago that JML would be WDC in 5. Looks like I have to pay up and I will NEVER forgive him ;)

KiwiWRCfan
24th October 2017, 09:33
My 7th prediction was " Professional photographers at Rally GB compete for the "N.O.T. Award" given for best photo featuring Autumn leaf colours"
Any volunteers to act as a judge ?

Mintexmemory
24th October 2017, 10:37
My 7th prediction was " Professional photographers at Rally GB compete for the "N.O.T. Award" given for best photo featuring Autumn leaf colours"
Any volunteers to act as a judge ?
Beat me to the drop! Can I suggest that forum members post links to those shots felt worthy of inclusion. I'll judge because as the linked shot shows I'm no stranger to Welsh autumn colour! Special marks awarded if sheep are included in the shot!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74mex/albums/72157637889056553

KiwiWRCfan
13th December 2017, 07:56
Are we allowed to get our Crystal Balls out before Xmas or do need to wait until early January ?

swanny
14th December 2017, 13:23
Just put them away, you don't want your crystal balls to spend too much time out in the sun...

KiwiWRCfan
15th December 2017, 04:50
Just put them away, you don't want your crystal balls to spend too much time out in the sun...
Good point it is a fantastic summer in NZ at present. Best I head to the beach for another swim :-)

Mintexmemory
19th December 2017, 17:22
Are we allowed to get our Crystal Balls out before Xmas or do need to wait until early January ?

I'm just going to do a recap of 2017 and Open the Balls season in the week after Christmas - be thinking!

AnttiL
20th December 2017, 11:19
3. Hanninen to be replaced before the end of the season. (Fail)

Wasn't this actually true ;)

pantealex
20th December 2017, 17:05
Wasn't this actually true ;)

It was, Lappi was driving his car (same chassis)

Mintexmemory
20th December 2017, 20:10
Forget Chassis - did anyone take a toyota that hadn't been in it before? No! So he wasn't replaced, he was dropped!

Tarmop
20th December 2017, 20:36
Wasn`t it Lappi at first, who was supposed to only compete in Europe from Portugal and Hänninen was supposed to do all the rounds with Latvala. So replaced...

E: "Latvala and Hanninen will contest all 13 rounds of the 2017 WRC, while recently crowned WRC2 winner Lappi will contest a selected third-car programme starting in the spring."
"Makinen told Motorsport.com at the last WRC round in Corsica that the intention was to field a third car on all European events from Portugal onwards, before reverting to two cars for the Australia season finale for logistical reasons."

So definitely replaced.

AnttiL
8th January 2018, 06:54
I'm just going to do a recap of 2017 and Open the Balls season in the week after Christmas - be thinking!

How soon is now? ;)

Franky
8th January 2018, 09:34
How soon is now? ;)

Mintex got sucked into the Crystal Ball. You might see him in your 2018 Crystal Ball ;)

Mintexmemory
9th January 2018, 13:08
That’s all I need - Smiths song titles being quoted at me 😎 . I plan to launch 2018 on Weds 17th, so lots of time to gaze into the goat entrails before then (or even put on Lipstick like the Seer from ‘Vikings’)
As my game, my rules - Hanninen was dropped 😈 Maybe the identity of the missing 3rd M-Sport car drivers will still be open to speculation!

KiwiWRCfan
9th January 2018, 13:48
Maybe the identity of the missing 3rd M-Sport car drivers will still be open to speculation!

So Mintex has cleverly snuck in an early prediction. MSport will not reveal 3rd driver plans for entire season at ASI 18.

My early prediction. Promoter will use ASI 18 to announce name of a new younger TV presenter as they seek to create a new dynamic and energy which will appeal to a younger demographic.

KiwiWRCfan
12th January 2018, 05:23
Mintex you were correct MSport did not reveal 3rd driver plans for entire season at ASI 18, at least not on the first day of ASI18.

KiwiWRCfan
18th January 2018, 11:37
Time to start polishing your crystal balls everyone.
I see a Crystall Ball 2018 thread opening at 20:18 GMT. It will be 1 week and 25 minutes before the start of SS1 of Monte Carlo. An opening stage that will be won by ⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️ I bet you didn't expect that name.

Mintexmemory
19th January 2018, 22:39
Nice try KiwiWRCfan - Here I am tying up some 2017 loose threads.
I got 3/5 right - would have been 4 had Mikkelsen been recalled to WRC a rally earlier. The Seb O choices was popular and so all the JML, Thierry and Ott predictions for WRC Champ went west.
The Polo never did appear (and now never will!). Toyota's successes caught many by surprise (not least a certain Hellenic personage of our acquaintance) but even the biggest fans hadn't expected the win so quickly! Meeke was nowhere near challenging but did win in fascinating style!
Interesting that even Ogier supporters thought Hyundai would be top manufacturer but Brains (see Thunderbirds for reference) seemed to be their only winning driver until they pulled a Nog out of temporary obscurity.
Surprisingly Ogier was replaced by Neuville as chief moaner and general sourpuss. Big shout out to Duvel who accurately predicted that not one of his predictions would be right (especially the TN/Hyundai WRC winners double!)
I liked all the mechanical failure predictions for M-Sport. In the event the Ford was the most reliable package of all! There were a few 'Paddon doing well' predictions, no one actually said he would stink the room out!
eib 1 predicted they would stop doing drugs - given the rest of their wrong predictions I expect to find them on Cloud 9! Doon is the winner with 4/5 right
Best prediction of 2017 from way out of left field goes to tomhlord for being the only one to predict DMACK /Elfyn to win WRGB, honourable mention to KiwiWRCfan 4 different makes win the first four rallies.