PDA

View Full Version : Rosberg retires !

Bagwan
2nd December 2016, 13:25
Nico just retired from F1 !
I didn't see that coming , but I guess he's reached his goal and it's time .

This is gonna be a crazy scramble for that seat .

Thanks , Nico . I enjoyed watching you race .

Bagwan
2nd December 2016, 13:27
And , Mark beats me by 3 minutes to the retirement thread title !

Mark
2nd December 2016, 13:28
Nico Rosberg:
“Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my ‘one thing’ to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target.And now I’ve made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.
“This season, I tell you, it was so damn tough. I pushed like crazy in every area after the disappointments of the last two years; they fuelled my motivation to levels I had never experienced before. And of course that had an impact on the ones I love, too – it was a whole family effort of sacrifice, putting everything behind our target. I cannot find enough words to thank my wife Vivian; she has been incredible. She understood that this year was the big one, our opportunity to do it, and created the space for me to get full recovery between every race, looking after our daughter each night, taking over when things got tough and putting ourchampionship first.
“When I won the race in Suzuka, from the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became World Champion. On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time… and then the lights went out and I had the most intense 55 laps of my life. I took my decision on Monday evening. After reflecting for a day, the first people I told were Vivian and Georg (Nolte, from Nico’s management team), followed by Toto.
“The only thing that makes this decision in any way difficult for me is because I am putting my racing family into a toughsituation. But Toto understood. He knew straight away that I was completely convinced and that reassured me. My proudest achievement in racing will always be to have won the world championship with this incredible team of people,the Silver Arrows.
“Now, I’m just here to enjoy the moment. There is time tosavour the next weeks, to reflect on the season and to enjoy every experience that comes my way. After that, I will turn the next corner in my life and see what it has in store for me…”

Azumanga Davo
2nd December 2016, 13:30
Welp, 2016 sure has been a weird one in general :O

The Black Knight
2nd December 2016, 13:41
Shows Mercedes teams agenda so was to just get him a championship before he retired. Everything is making a lot more sense now.

It also shows that Nico Rosberg doesn't have the mental strength it takes to be top dog.

I am evil Homer
2nd December 2016, 13:47
Good on him I say. He's got a young family and the F1 circus must be extremely tough - now he goes out as an F1 champion, head held high.

onemanband
2nd December 2016, 13:47
Shows Mercedes teams agenda so was to just get him a championship before he retired. Everything is making a lot more sense now.

It also shows that Nico Rosberg doesn't have the mental strength it takes to be top dog.

1. Why?
2. Why?

greencroft
2nd December 2016, 13:57
So come on Jenson, you know it makes sense!

AndyL
2nd December 2016, 14:09
I'm wondering whether Alonso has a clause to get out of his McLaren contract :devil:

henners88
2nd December 2016, 14:13
He achieved his dream and won't have to face the media pressure of defending it next season. All the best to him, retired on a high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
2nd December 2016, 14:13
I'm wondering whether Alonso has a clause to get out of his McLaren contract :devil:

Must do. I'd love to see him in the best car. Him being stuck mid pack just isn't right.

henners88
2nd December 2016, 14:14

Toto Wolf is on record being absolutely stunned by the news. They were about to re-sign him.

yodasarmpit
2nd December 2016, 14:20
As a mere mortal I can hardly believe anyone turning down the chance to race another year in, most likely, the fastest car.

henners88
2nd December 2016, 14:25
As a mere mortal I can hardly believe anyone turning down the chance to race another year in, most likely, the fastest car.
He has a young family that he misses for weeks at a time so I came sympathise with that. The racer in me can't understand it though.

Mark
2nd December 2016, 14:26
As I just said to pino I guess it depends on your motivation. For some, perhaps most, racing is what they want to do and all they want to do. For others, Rosberg and perhaps I can include Hakkinen in this list, they want to get to the top, to be the best, and once they are there, that's it, other goals to strive for.

Zico
2nd December 2016, 14:30
Wow, I didn't see that coming, I bet Fernando is on the phone to Toto as we discuss this. :D

The effort he put in was clearly monumental which detrimentaly affected his family life. He achieved his life long goal and it was also going to be almost impossible to emulate his success next year and so why not sign out as WDC. Good on him. Good luck Nico.

Nitrodaze
2nd December 2016, 14:31
I am gobmacked and somewhat disappointed. I was looking forward to a battle of champions at Mercedes. He has a left big hole in F1 suddenly. He is liked very much and would be missed greatly l think.

I guess Alonso and Vettel are scrambling to make a deal to get into that seat. Though, l think it would be great for Mercedes to give Wehrlein a chance to prove himself. Which certainly make Ocon kick himself if that happens.

Big Ben
2nd December 2016, 14:52

classy

Mark
2nd December 2016, 14:59
I'm sure everyone here knows this but if Button goes to Mercedes you should really say goes *back* to Mercedes as it's the team he won his WDC with in 2009.

onemanband
2nd December 2016, 15:04
The effort he put in was clearly monumental which detrimentaly affected his family life. He achieved his life long goal and it was also going to be almost impossible to emulate his success next year and so why not sign out as WDC. Good on him. Good luck Nico.

Taking the words out of my mouth...

Firstgear
2nd December 2016, 15:28
Wow - could never have guessed that. Stepped out while at the top to take care of the important things at home. Really got to respect the guy for that. Rosberg has been my sons favorite driver for a number of years now, so we're going to miss him.
Good luck in the future Nico - enjoy the time with your young family. Hopefully in another 15 - 20 years there will be another Rosberg on the F1 grid.

longisland
2nd December 2016, 15:39
I can still remember Nico setting the fastest lap in his Bahrain gp debut. It took a decade of hard work to reach the pinnacle of motorsports. A quote from Ross Brawn sums it up. "Lucky is preparation waiting for opportunity." Wish him all the best in his next phase of life.

Phoenix
2nd December 2016, 17:09
Brave decision. With a young family, having achieved his life goal, you'd agree it's also the right and smart decision.

Takes guts to do that.

He's beaten the best on the grid - whether or not you think he had the luck - you gotta be there to take the opportunities.

Respect to the Rosbergs. Hope he enjoys his retirement and does not regret his decision.

keysersoze
2nd December 2016, 17:22
I give his retirement a lifespan of two years--tops. He'll be back.

steveaki13
2nd December 2016, 17:26

You used to be a reasonable guy, but lately you are not coming across well........ sad to see. This is from someone who hopefully comes across quite neutral.

steveaki13
2nd December 2016, 17:33
Wow...... unbelievable news in a way, but thinking about it. When you saw his comments after UAE he seemed spent. Anyway fair play to him. He has achieved his goal and no one despite the bitterness of some can take away from him.

I also think he could be back. I mean he might need a break and in 2018 might fancy some fun racing in a Williams again or Mclaren etc....

I hope the 2017 season sees real competition. I hoped that anyway but now with Hamilton v a likely youngster he would potentially win 15-18 of the races next season. If it was the same as this season.

Would love Fred to get one last chance at a top car but cant see it. Mercedes had enough controlling those two let alone Alonso who is very hard to be a team mate too.

Anyway congrats Nico on a great career. Lots of wins and lots of podiums. Plus a world championship

driveace
2nd December 2016, 18:02
I wonder if Toto had an inkling ?
seems like Mercedes did everything to aid his World Championship this year ,as Hamilton said Merc supply 8 engines every race weekend ,so why was he the ONLY driver to have problems .
Whereas Hamilton made it look easy to qualify and race Rosberg always looked as if it was hard work .With the best car on the grid he became World Champion ,which he needs credit for I totally agree .
But it lust be difficult when leaving for a race weekend wifey says ".Have a good weekend but be safe and don't forget me and daisy are waiting for you to come back"
I can remember being at the side of Rosberg all those years ago just before he came into F1 ,on the Pit wall at the Valencia circuit .He had long hair and a long coat ,and was probably only 20 ish then .
Anyway there retires another World Champion ,I don't ever think he will come back ,the Rosberg,s will all be Millionaires and don't need the money .But then what do you look fotward to doing on a weekend and what is going to give you the "Buzz" ?

Nitrodaze
2nd December 2016, 19:17
I wonder if Toto had an inkling ?
seems like Mercedes did everything to aid his World Championship this year ,as Hamilton said Merc supply 8 engines every race weekend ,so why was he the ONLY driver to have problems .
Whereas Hamilton made it look easy to qualify and race Rosberg always looked as if it was hard work .With the best car on the grid he became World Champion ,which he needs credit for I totally agree .
But it lust be difficult when leaving for a race weekend wifey says ".Have a good weekend but be safe and don't forget me and daisy are waiting for you to come back"
I can remember being at the side of Rosberg all those years ago just before he came into F1 ,on the Pit wall at the Valencia circuit .He had long hair and a long coat ,and was probably only 20 ish then .
Anyway there retires another World Champion ,I don't ever think he will come back ,the Rosberg,s will all be Millionaires and don't need the money .But then what do you look fotward to doing on a weekend and what is going to give you the "Buzz" ?
You are right, he would miss it after a while. It was a hard season for both Rosberg and Hamilton. But you have to admit that this season was the very best we have seen from Rosberg. He drove some truly magnificent races. And there were tough moment as he tried his best to overcome the psychological barrier that Hamilton had placed on him over the years. Hamilton definitely brought out the best in Rosberg this season. It must have been torturous to build a handsome lead and watch it also gradually disappear as the opposition ebbed away his lead. The stress this year must have been immense for both Mercedes drivers and the team management. Also 22 races must have been quite difficult for all participants. The 2016 season must be close to two pre-1980 seasons.

Spain and Austria were statements of intent to Hamilton that he was not going to roll over for the three times world champion at every fight at the corners. I think when we go back and watch this season over again we would see that Rosberg accounted for himself admirably. Most importantly, he beat Hamilton to the championship. It doesn't matter how he did it, history would remember that he did in this year 2016.

I am sad that he has pulled out but l wish him well in whatever he chooses to do in the future.

Mark
2nd December 2016, 19:41
Once your kids are a little older they don't need you quite as much. He's still a young man and wouldn't be the first to retire then come back.

Stan Reid
2nd December 2016, 20:32

Alonzo would take it but I can't think of two drivers who hate each other more than Alonzo and Hamilton so I'm not sure about the dynamic. Merc would be wiser in the long run to go for a new young hotshot driver like Verstappen who could be World Champoin in just a year or two.

The Black Knight
2nd December 2016, 21:26
So whom replaces him? Sainz seems like the logical choice to me. He has proven he is a top notch driver and, although he is contracted, RBR would probably be willing to release him for a relatively novel fee given they effectively overlooked him in favour of Verstappen, not due to lack of talent but lack of seats. It would also give RBR the opportunity to promote Junior Driver and GP2 champion Pierre Gasly to Toro Rosso and partner Kvyat. A win win for everyone, especially Sainz!

Regards Pascal Werhlein, he hasn't proven himself to be anything special thus far so it would probably be too great a risk.

Fernando and Vettel both contracted for another year. Unlikely Vettel will leave Ferrari but Alonso may enticed to leave McLaren given their relative uncompetitiveness. With the Honda engine another year from full maturity even with the token system now removed he may want to seize the moment for a title challenge now that it arises!

It's going to be an interesting few weeks but my money is on Sainz and I hope he gets it too! He deserves it imo.

Triumph
2nd December 2016, 21:37
That was an unexpected announcement from Nico. Good luck to him though.

The first thing I thought after hearing this news was that Fernando will be desperate to get that seat. It would be good to see him up against Lewis again in identical cars. I wonder if Fernando still has all his abilities. I suspect so.

Next year will be interesting with the technical changes. It's not guaranteed that Mercedes will be the top team. It would be just Fernando's luck if he jumped ship again and the car wasn't what he wanted.

If Red Bull make the necessary progress with their cars then Max is easily up to the job of fighting for the championship. We have a lot to look forward to for 2017!

Nitrodaze
2nd December 2016, 22:14
So whom replaces him? Sainz seems like the logical choice to me. He has proven he is a top notch driver and, although he is contracted, RBR would probably be willing to release him for a relatively novel fee given they effectively overlooked him in favour of Verstappen, not due to lack of talent but lack of seats. It would also give RBR the opportunity to promote Junior Driver and GP2 champion Pierre Gasly to Toro Rosso and partner Kvyat. A win win for everyone, especially Sainz!

Regards Pascal Werhlein, he hasn't proven himself to be anything special thus far so it would probably be too great a risk.

Fernando and Vettel both contracted for another year. Unlikely Vettel will leave Ferrari but Alonso may enticed to leave McLaren given their relative uncompetitiveness. With the Honda engine another year from full maturity even with the token system now removed he may want to seize the moment for a title challenge now that it arises!

It's going to be an interesting few weeks but my money is on Sainz and I hope he gets it too! He deserves it imo.

Sainz make sense to me too. But l doubt Redbull would want to release him to Mercedes. I can't see Alonso going to Mercedes, the previous pairing with Hamilton was problematic for Mclaren, l can also see it being problematic for Mercedes. It is probably not fair to judge Wehrlein based on the Manor. Even so, he has perform to best level ever attained in a back marker car. He scored one championship point which was the threshold for excellent backmarker drivers such as Bianchi etc. And we cannot really compare the Manor to the Torro Rosso where Verstapenn and Sainz has had a better opportunity to showcase their skills. Hence, we have not had the opportunity to see some aggressive driving from Wehrlein.

I think given the opportunity, Wehrlein would step up to the challenge. He is very quick. One does not get to be DTM champion pottering along the track. That said, if Toto has a choice between Sainz and Wehrlein, l think he would pick Sainz without hesitation.

onemanband
2nd December 2016, 23:33
With Sainz there is a problem - I have read that RB asked 30 mil for releasing Sainz from his contract when Renault tried to hire him. But then again, Mercedes is so big and powerful that nothing is impossible for them.

No doubt Wehrlein is quick. But for some reason FI chose Ocon instead of him. Obviously I don't know why but ever since his DTM success there have been rumors that he is difficult to work with and he showed that when he was not willing to turn off his engine when his engineers asked. I am not sure that Toto would want another difficult personality to his team.

Alonso's name was mentioned here. I for one can actually see Alonso going to Merc. Toto has publically said that he likes his personality and obviously his driving skills. We should not underestimate his marketability as well. I think he is very likely the most marketable driver after Hamilton and possibly Verstappen. And Alonso being quite old by F1 terms and having spent 2 very frustrating years at McLaren I can see him getting desperate enough to jump ship to Mercedes. The biggest issues probably are Alonso's wage, his confidence in McLaren (if he thinks they can nail next years car) and possible Hamilton's veto right.

As more possible replacements I would name Bottas, who is managed by Toto and Ocon, who, belonging to Merc young drivers' program has a clause to be easily released from his contract from FI if Merc needs him.

Personally, I would like the seat go to Sainz because his carreer being at RB will go nowhere because there is no way in hell he could replace Verstappen or Ricciardo in the main team soon. Looking how RB has managed their young drivers they will keep him as backup for as long as possible and by then his carreer could be destroyed and he is far too talented for that.

yodasarmpit
2nd December 2016, 23:49
Please let it be Alonso, and if not then Max.

zako85
3rd December 2016, 00:31
My intelligence sources are telling that Niki Lauda is on the phone with Gutierrez right now.

Nitrodaze
3rd December 2016, 01:09
My intelligence sources are telling that Niki Lauda is on the phone with Gutierrez right now.

Very unlikely that Gutierrez would land one of the most desired seats in F1 after he was dumped by Haas for under performance. My heart would love to see Alonso in a competitive car again before he retires. But my head cannot see that in Mercedes because l think Mercedes would want to select a young talent that would mature into a multiple world champion. Based on the state of play at the moment, l think Sainz is realistically the most obvious option available at the moment regardless of his contract with Redbull. Verstapenn would be more difficult to pull out of Redbull's grasps.

I would not entirely rule out Wehrlein but l doubt Ocon is going to be pulled out of Force India. Bottas is a possibility but he has signed to extend his contract. I think picking Bottas or Ocon would have the consequence of upsetting their customer teams, but the right money would sooth any bruised egos.

Vettel is a dark horse in all this. I would bet that he would love to drive the silver arrow given half a chance.

I think whichever way Mercedes choose to go, they would be pulling someone from an active contract with a team. The least troublesome path is to put Wehrlein in the seat.

henners88
3rd December 2016, 06:48
Alonzo would take it but I can't think of two drivers who hate each other more than Alonzo and Hamilton so I'm not sure about the dynamic. Merc would be wiser in the long run to go for a new young hotshot driver like Verstappen who could be World Champoin in just a year or two.

Alonso and Hamilton hate each other? They hide that very well when having a laugh and meeting up over a race weekend. I've not seen evidence for any hate to be honest.

CNR
3rd December 2016, 08:55
http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?37089-Rosberg-retires-!/page4

have to ask why Pascal Wehrlein is not Confirmed any ware
In February 2016, it was announced that Wehrlein would make his F1 debut with Manor Racing. It is understood that Manor would receive access to Mercedes' wind tunnel in exchange for hiring Wehrlein.[
In September 2014, it was announced that Wehrlein would act as a reserve driver for the Mercedes F1 Team.[11] He took part in preseason testing in Barcelona, driving for both Force India and Mercedes.

The Black Knight
3rd December 2016, 09:02
Alonso and Hamilton hate each other? They hide that very well when having a laugh and meeting up over a race weekend. I've not seen evidence for any hate to be honest.

Yeah they have both matured over the last 10 years and I don't see a future pairing being as difficult as the one McLaren had to endure. Both of them as team mates again would be a mouth watering prospect though!

There is another fly in the ointment here, had there been no sweeping rule changes then Mercedes would have been without question the place to drive but now that there is, there is no guarantee of their competitiveness for next year so a driver going to their team is taking a bigger gamble than they normally would have than say this had happened last year. Plus, never in F1 history has any teams dominance survived massive rule changes.

So, will drivers want to take the risk to drive for Merc is the question?

COD
3rd December 2016, 09:08
Classy decision from Niko. No need to cash on status. Been there done that kind of approach.

Wehrlein or Bottas will replace him

Nitrodaze
3rd December 2016, 10:48
Yeah they have both matured over the last 10 years and I don't see a future pairing being as difficult as the one McLaren had to endure. Both of them as team mates again would be a mouth watering prospect though!

There is another fly in the ointment here, had there been no sweeping rule changes then Mercedes would have been without question the place to drive but now that there is, there is no guarantee of their competitiveness for next year so a driver going to their team is taking a bigger gamble than they normally would have than say this had happened last year. Plus, never in F1 history has any teams dominance survived massive rule changes.

So, will drivers want to take the risk to drive for Merc is the question?

I have to agree, there would be more respect between them this time round. That said, when they put rubber to tarmac, an almighty rivalry would commence. Mercedes culture may not suite Alonso who likes to gain advantage by making the team focus on him. Mercedes would have a job on their hands maintaining a semblance of parity between the pairing. It would be as tough as the Hamilton vs Rosberg rivalry and possibly more.

One thing would be certain though, Hamilton would have his work cut out with an Alonso or Vettel pairing.

On Mercedes' competitiveness next season, it is true that they may not turn out to be the most dominant force in 2017. I think there is still an engine component to performance next year. Hence l expect them to be there or thereabout. I fully expect them to be winning races. If they would be able to win enough races to be constructors and driver champions, is yet to be seen. I don't think Mercedes is that much of a risk. They are certainly a less risk than Ferrari or Mclaren on paper.

Redbull are showing signs of confidence in their 2017 package. If Adrian Newey has anything to do with the chassis, then you can be relatively sure that they possibly have a winner.

Mclaren is a dark horse going into 2017, but with the change at the top, expectations are dampened somewhat. But they may prove us wrong and really establish themselves as a frontline contender.

There is a question mark on Ferrari, which is one of the reasons most would expect Vettel to jump ship and head to Mercedes which on paper looks like a better bet than Ferrari for the 2017 season. That said, they are redesigning and reconstructing their car for the 2017 season. They may well get it right and become the dominant force for the next three to four years.

Mia 01
3rd December 2016, 11:49
I truly will miss Nico! He is leaving a big hole in the Mercedes team, now Lewis, whitout competition, can rack up a number of WDC:s. I fear this. Hope Alonso or Vettel takes his seat.

driveace
3rd December 2016, 15:21
Once your kids are a little older they don't need you quite as much. He's still a young man and wouldn't be the first to retire then come back.

Your gonna tell me Jaques Villenueve will make a comeback too Mark ! Rosberg is a Millionaire from Keke and in his own right .IF he comes back in a few years the sport will have moved on ,and IF he admits its difficult now ,it wont get any easier ,and if he does then I will bare my ar** in Marks and Spenc
ers window

Firstgear
3rd December 2016, 16:30
Although I don't think Mercedes favour their German drivers, I do think that they'd like to have at least one German driving the car. So I say their top choices would be Wehrlein or Vettel, depending on if they're looking for a veteran or not.

CNR
4th December 2016, 09:38
Half F1 grid is after Rosberg's seat, says Lauda
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-motor-f1-mercedes-idUSKBN13S0RH?utm_source=34553&utm_medium=partner
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/8/f1-2017-driver-market-who-goes-where.html
Nico Rosberg had more scrutiny, given that his contract expired at the end of the current season, but negotiations began early and despite rumoured interest from Ferrari both parties confirmed a two-year extension in July, shortly before Rosberg's home race.

Wehrlein, 21, scored Manor's only point of the year in Austria, whilst his qualifying performance at the same venue prompted Silver Arrows chief Toto Wolff to describe him as 'special'.

one driver MAY BE massa

Rollo
4th December 2016, 09:50
Plus, never in F1 history has any teams dominance survived massive rule changes.

SHENANIGANS!

McLaren Honda.
1988 - 1.5L V6 turbo
1989 - 3.5 V10

Honda as an engine supplier went from the 1.5L turbo cars to 3.5L normally aspirated cars and won five in a row in the process.

Nem14
5th December 2016, 03:51
Lauda: "Rosberg gave Mercedes no time for a back-up plan".

Wow! Mercedes didn't have a contingency plan in case their World Champion driver (which ever driver won the championship) decided to retire on top of his game?
Come on Niki!

The Black Knight
5th December 2016, 07:30
SHENANIGANS!

McLaren Honda.
1988 - 1.5L V6 turbo
1989 - 3.5 V10

Honda as an engine supplier went from the 1.5L turbo cars to 3.5L normally aspirated cars and won five in a row in the process.

Those rule changes mainly impacted the Engine supplier rather than the constructor themselves. The impact to the chassis wasn't huge in the rules for 1989.

I'm sure were this years rule changes mainly Engine orientated Mercedes would be top of the list given their history of producing top class engines.

The Black Knight
5th December 2016, 07:32

Wow! Mercedes didn't have a contingency plan in case their World Champion driver (which ever driver won the championship) decided to retire on top of his game?
Come on Niki!

Why would they? It's the first time in F1 history that a driver has turned their back on a team and career in such a dramatic fashion. It couldn't have been foreseen. Even Ferrari didn't have a reserve driver lined up toe replace Felipe after his 09 crash. That was incredible but not really this.

Rollo
5th December 2016, 10:27
Those rule changes mainly impacted the Engine supplier rather than the constructor themselves. The impact to the chassis wasn't huge in the rules for 1989.

SHENANIGANS!

The impact to the chassis is massive if you happen to be talking about an engine which is a stressed member of said chassis. The gearbox and entire rear suspension ever since about Ferrari 312T in 1975 quite literally hangs off the engine.

I reject your fantasy and substitute it with reality.

Nitrodaze
5th December 2016, 10:45

Come on Niki!

But it is interesting that Rosberg dropped a bombshell like that on the Mercedes. He must have been unhappy with Mercedes about something. A more team friendly approach would have been to work out an exist strategy with the team rather than a shock exit with immediate effect. I can sympathize with Mercedes being caught out.

Most people think Mercedes has been favouring Rosberg, it might be Rosberg has a different opinion that Mercedes has been favouring Hamilton over him.

Phoenix
5th December 2016, 13:43
But it is interesting that Rosberg dropped a bombshell like that on the Mercedes. He must have been unhappy with Mercedes about something. A more team friendly approach would have been to work out an exist strategy with the team rather than a shock exit with immediate effect. I can sympathize with Mercedes being caught out.

Most people think Mercedes has been favouring Rosberg, it might be Rosberg has a different opinion that Mercedes has been favouring Hamilton over him.

Maybe this season has drained him so much in the emotional and physical requirements to get that bit closer to Lewis, and the chances of having the better luck again being minimal, he's quitting while ahead?

Nitrodaze
5th December 2016, 14:01
Maybe this season has drained him so much in the emotional and physical requirements to get that bit closer to Lewis, and the chances of having the better luck again being minimal, he's quitting while ahead?

I think he is tougher than that, but l do buy the quitting while ahead part. Even so, he could have done it in a way that does not place Mercedes in an uncomfortable position. It is beginning to seem there is some level of protest in is decision.

Phoenix
5th December 2016, 14:43
I think he is tougher than that, but l do buy the quitting while ahead part. Even so, he could have done it in a way that does not place Mercedes in an uncomfortable position. It is beginning to seem there is some level of protest in is decision.

He think he overestimated his ability to cope on the same emotional level personally.

Storm
5th December 2016, 15:11
As much as Rosberg - to me -is a boring personality and driver, you have to respect the way he went out.

Spiced up the silly season too which already was looking good with the rule changes.

N4D13
6th December 2016, 12:03
Joe Saward has just posted a very lucid article on Mercedes' prospects for 2016. According to him, the most likely options are Bottas and Grosjean, with Sainz a distant third. It's surprising that he isn't mentioning Wehrlein as a replacement for Rosberg.

Here's the article: https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12/06/reality-in-brackley/

zako85
6th December 2016, 12:21
I think Rosberg is has got into the "the grass is greener on the other side" thinking. He thought the life in F1 racing was tough and not worth it considering other (unknown) opportunities that await him, be it a happy family life or something else. But I think there is a good chance that a couple of years later he'll realize that the grass on the other side is just as grey as on this side, and then he might regret quitting F1 or perhaps will try to return.

Nitrodaze
6th December 2016, 17:06
Joe Saward has just posted a very lucid article on Mercedes' prospects for 2016. According to him, the most likely options are Bottas and Grosjean, with Sainz a distant third. It's surprising that he isn't mentioning Wehrlein as a replacement for Rosberg.

Here's the article: https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12/06/reality-in-brackley/

I think he is on to something there. Bottas would be great for Mercedes. He is fast and has a very mellow personality that would complement Hamilton very well. There is the obvious problem of Toto being linked to Mercedes and Bottas's management team which might have legal consequences. But l can see why it would work as both teams involved have mutual benefit from the deal.

Grojeans as candidate for the seat is interesting. It may work if Haas expectations are within Mercedes' minimum budget plus a new home for Wehrlein. It doesn't help that Grosjean was not a Mercedes man.

driveace
6th December 2016, 19:27
The Finns say Bottas

Zico
6th December 2016, 19:41
I'd really like to see Valteri at Merc. It is a good match Imo..

The Black Knight
6th December 2016, 19:58
SHENANIGANS!

The impact to the chassis is massive if you happen to be talking about an engine which is a stressed member of said chassis. The gearbox and entire rear suspension ever since about Ferrari 312T in 1975 quite literally hangs off the engine.

I reject your fantasy and substitute it with reality.

It has an impact yes but no more of an impact than the refuelling ban had in 2010 with the massively larger tanks. All changes have an impact on chassis no matter what they are but 2010 certainly isn't regarded as a major rule change year, is it?

The Black Knight
6th December 2016, 20:01

It boils down to this: he is a coward. He finally won with a huge amount of luck so he has decided to run. He knows as well as everyone else he can't beat Lewis in a straight fight so he is quitting now that luck finally went his way, with a little Mercedes help.

The emotional and mental drain is part of it too but it's all the same reason, he isn't man enough to defend the title.

Zico
6th December 2016, 21:41
Yes Nico required a bit of luck to win but reliability is part of the equation for every WDC and he actually did very well against a top drawer opponent.
Quitting on the crest of a wave doesn't make him a coward. You are coming across as being very butthurt and bitter. I'm no Nico fan but give credit where credits due... and it is due.

Rollo
6th December 2016, 21:54
It has an impact yes but no more of an impact than the refuelling ban had in 2010 with the massively larger tanks.
All changes have an impact on chassis no matter what they are but 2010 certainly isn't regarded as a major rule change year, is it?

1989 was in the same way that 2014 was. Changing from a normally aspirated engine to a turbocharged engine, or vice versa, changes the whole shape of the rear of the car.

Plus, never in F1 history has any teams dominance survived massive rule changes.

What the hell does constitute a "massive rule change" in your book, if changing both the configuration of the engine and how it breathes does not?

onemanband
6th December 2016, 22:57
1989 was in the same way that 2014 was. Changing from a normally aspirated engine to a turbocharged engine, or vice versa, changes the whole shape of the rear of the car.

What the hell does constitute a "massive rule change" in your book, if changing both the configuration of the engine and how it breathes does not?

I started to think back in history and there have been 2 times in F1 history when domination has been stopped by massive rule changes - 1961 with rules changing to 1.5 engines and 2014 with the new hybrids.
Banning the active suspension comes close but Williams had still very much a dominant car until 1998.

Other times (like banning sideskirts in 1981 or ground effect completely in 1983 or even 2009 did not have one team dominating at all previous to the changes)

Maybe new engine rules in 1952 that made Alfa quit stopped a domination :rolleyes:

onemanband
6th December 2016, 23:13
I would also like to add that both of these times, in 1961 and 2014, the massive rule changes were related to the engines, when one manufacturer, Ferrari and Mercedes respectively, got a POWER UNIT advantage for some reason.
That is why, if Mercedes domination ends in 2017, the reason is not in new aero or tyres, it is because other engine manufacturers will have caught up with the all-dominant Merc PU.

Rollo
6th December 2016, 23:39
Other times (like banning sideskirts in 1981 or ground effect completely in 1983 or even 2009 did not have one team dominating at all previous to the changes)

1983 is interesting because it marked the first season where turbo cars were sufficiently reliable enough not to explode at every outing. Renault's yellow teapot was the first but even so, that was 6 years earlier.

I think that it was Alboreto's in in Detroit where they all basically clanked around on a tight street race, that was the last normally aspirated win until the end of turbocharging?

onemanband
6th December 2016, 23:50
I think that it was Alboreto's in in Detroit where they all basically clanked around on a tight street race, that was the last normally aspirated win until the end of turbocharging?

Yes. And it wasn't due to the turbos being unreliable but that the NA cars were just fast on that particular day. And Piquet had a puncture from the lead 9 laps to go. :D

The turbos were reliable already in 1982 (at least the Ferrari was) but that season was a freak one in pretty much every way.

zako85
24th December 2016, 12:22
Shows Mercedes teams agenda so was to just get him a championship before he retired.

I hope by now even you realize how flawed this argument was. If Mercedes knew in advance that Rosberg would retire, they wouldn't have been caught with their pants down with regards to his replacement.

Zico
24th December 2016, 17:03
I hope by now even you realize how flawed this argument was. If Mercedes knew in advance that Rosberg would retire, they wouldn't have been caught with their pants down with regards to his replacement.

No, they just had to make it look like they were caught with their pants down, Botas was probably already on a pre-season contract last year.

Toto and Lauda are Reptilians, part of the Illuminati betting syndicate and their base is at the Merc headquarters in Stuttgart... although they occasionally do also hold meetings at the Bohemian Grove in the US where this year they discussed who is going to win the F1 WDC in 2017 after deciding a date for going into Iran ... to start hosting GP there.
Bernie is rumoured to have placed a 2 Billion dollar third party bet on Bottas.

But... I thought this was all common knowledge?

Nitrodaze
24th December 2016, 18:37
No, they just had to make it look like they were caught with their pants down, Botas was probably already on a pre-season contract last year.

Toto and Lauda are Reptilians, part of the Illuminati betting syndicate and their base is at the Merc headquarters in Stuttgart... although they occasionally do also hold meetings at the Bohemian Grove in the US where this year they discussed who is going to win the F1 WDC in 2017 after deciding a date for going into Iran ... to start hosting GP there.

Nice...

Zico
24th December 2016, 20:17
Nice...

Nice?

Do think I'm being serious? Maybe English is not your first language, I was joking BTW..

:)

Starter
24th December 2016, 21:12

I like the way you think. There is a place in Trump's cabinet if you want it. :D

Nitrodaze
25th December 2016, 00:02
Nice?

Do think I'm being serious? Maybe English is not your first language, I was joking BTW..

:)

I mean nicely done

Zico
25th December 2016, 01:18
Nice...

I mean nicely done

Oh, OK, sorry... Ihought you were being sarcastic :D

CNR
26th December 2016, 01:32
they should have see this coming as he must have had a drivers contract escape clause or rosberg would be sued for breach of contract
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/formula-1-contracts-then-and-now

maybe roisberg was pushed
https://www.quora.com/What-points-need-to-be-worked-out-in-Formula-1-driver-contracts
Length
F1 contracts last usually 2-4 years. The length depends on the drivers ambitions and visions of the team in short term and the teams will to hire the driver.

Revoke rights
The terms on which the contract can be terminated. Sebastian Vettels move to Ferrari was possible because of a such point in contract. It said that if he is not placed in a certain position in the championship standings by a certain date he can choose whether to end the contract or not. [1] Apparently the same performance clause can give the team the right to decide on the contract.

These are some of the important parts of the driver contract. There are many many more but I hope I didn't forget anything very important.
https://www.quora.com/What-points-need-to-be-worked-out-in-Formula-1-driver-contracts

N4D13
26th December 2016, 08:25
Well, Rosberg might have been in breach of contract, but I don't think Mercedes would be stupid enough to sue their most recent WDC. You can imagine that they'll have worked out an agreement behind closed doors.

Besides, it would be stupid to try and force a racing driver to keep racing once he's decided to hang his helmet.

Nitrodaze
26th December 2016, 08:37
they should have see this coming as he must have had a drivers contract escape clause or rosberg would be sued for breach of contract
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/formula-1-contracts-then-and-now

maybe roisberg was pushed
Length
F1 contracts last usually 2-4 years. The length depends on the drivers ambitions and visions of the team in short term and the teams will to hire the driver.

Revoke rights
The terms on which the contract can be terminated. Sebastian Vettels move to Ferrari was possible because of a such point in contract. It said that if he is not placed in a certain position in the championship standings by a certain date he can choose whether to end the contract or not. [1] Apparently the same performance clause can give the team the right to decide on the contract.

These are some of the important parts of the driver contract. There are many many more but I hope I didn't forget anything very important.

If you remember, Mercedes only wanted to renew Rosberg for one season only. But Rosberg was able to negotiate a two season deal which would have taken him to 2018. Rosberg won the Title under some very strange circumstances and suddenly bows out inline with Mercede's original one year offer, would suggest there probably is more than meet the eyes.
The two year deal was probably Rosberg thinking he needs at least two attempts to beat Hamilton to the drivers title. You could say in Rosberg's mind, he may have always had the intention to retire the instant he beats Hamilton; which he intended to do within the 2016/17 seasons.
You could also say that Mercedes should have known that Rosberg was going to retire the moment he won the driver's title, based on innuendoes and body language read during the contract negotiations. It may have caught the rest of the world out, but by all account, this may have been laid down since 2015. But all in all, this is pure speculations.

journeyman racer
1st January 2017, 00:34
Rosberg didn't want to wait six years for another championship, despite driving a championship contending car for the majority of the time.

journeyman racer
7th January 2017, 06:51
Just thinking. If Rosberg's intention all along was to retire after winning the championship (And causing a stir by doing so). Can you imagine what a commotion he'd have caused had he won in 14 then retired?

Considering he upset people were with him that he had a chance of winning the title. It would've been the all time greatest troll. It would've been a bitter lemon for Hamilton fans to suck on had it occurred.

In the end, I think it's worked out better for him. While it might've had to wait two extra years. He can also add two 2nd places (Still a great result) and 15 extra wins to his record. That looks better than having a title. Then 6th being your next best result with 8 wins.