PDA

View Full Version : WRC Trophy

Sulland
30th November 2016, 22:01
Good thing that FIA allowes a Trophy for year old cars and older.
Hopefully that can create a good fight, and get good teams to run them.

On the other hand R5s are cheaper to run over a season, and not that much slower.

Will the WRC be a success in 2017?

Andre Oliveira
30th November 2016, 22:09
As far as Bertelli's and others can get 2017 car, no!

Simmi
30th November 2016, 22:52
Very interested to see how this develops. Would have made a lot of sense to have this back in 2012 when there were loads of private WRC guys - but better late than never.

I do understand what N.O.T is saying in terms of, it's not about how many WRC cars are on an entry list, but it's how quickly they are being driven. But at the same time I like seeing these cars and anything that keeps the Polo, NG i20, DS3 etc on the stages is good for me as a spectator.

Whether the trophy will be competitive, or winning it will really mean anything, remains to be seen. I haven't seen any entry criteria for drivers - only the cars. So what could happen is, for arguments sake, Esapekka Lappi enters in a VW Polo and scares off all the possible competition.

Jack4688`
1st December 2016, 00:02
With VW pulling out and therefore more drivers than seats at the top than this year it would make sense if there were a manufacturer's version of this championship i.e. somewhere to put Camilli (should M-Sport need space for Ogier), Abbring, Lappi/Suninen (depending on which one isn't sharing a Yaris WRC with Hanninen & whoever Toyota sign out of Latvala & Mikkelsen) and Breen/Lefevbre (depending on which one isn't sharing a C3 WRC with Meeke & Ogier, should Citroen sign the latter). Also might not scare people off if, as Simmi says, someone like Lappi could wipe the floor with the privateer guys.

Thousandlakes
1st December 2016, 14:21
Little of topic. Anybody know if these old 16 cars can have 36 mm turbo restrictor season 2017? Would be interesting to see some drivers driving these 16 cars next season. 16 cars can be quite close in speed compared 17 cars if they allow 36 mm restrictors. atleast first half of the season before 17 get more handling and better setups.

Mirek
1st December 2016, 14:31
Little of topic. Anybody know if these old 16 cars can have 36 mm turbo restrictor season 2017? Would be interesting to see some drivers driving these 16 cars next season. 16 cars can be quite close in speed compared 17 cars if they allow 36 mm restrictors. atleast first half of the season before 17 get more handling and better setups.

I don't think that it's a good idea for privateer trophy. 36 mm restrictor would definitely decrease the reliability and shorten the rebuilt-periods for 2016 cars. They were not designed for 36 mm.

pantealex
1st December 2016, 14:34
I believe that WRC16 means WRC16, so cars will be 2016 regulations. (not with 2017 restrictors etc.)

Thousandlakes
1st December 2016, 15:24
Is 36 mm make so big difference for reliability? That's another question. Just imagine that we have more powerful cars on the line in 17. That would be great and privateers can have a chance to fight better results in overall standings.

Mirek
1st December 2016, 16:04
Is 36 mm make so big difference for reliability? That's another question. Just imagine that we have more powerful cars on the line in 17. That would be great and privateers can have a chance to fight better results in overall standings.

It's roughly 80 Hp difference, higher rpm etc. Yes, in my opinion it is a big difference for reliability but I may be wrong. Also the cooling may be an issue.

A FONDO
1st December 2016, 18:03
It's not just the engine, there will be bigger stress for gearbox, diffs, axles etc.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st December 2016, 18:59
Not sure this WRC Trophy is a good thing. It will confuse casual motorsport fans and could take much needed publicity away from WRC2.

It will only be a creditable series depending on who is in it.

The '16 WRC cars are much more expensive to run than R5's so youngsters wont be in them. And the likes of Evans in an R5 beats the likes of Bertelli in a WRC anyway.

What is really the reason for this Trophy then - just to sell/run '16 WRC cars ?

RICARDO75
1st December 2016, 19:20
As far as Bertelli's and others can get 2017 car, no!

Bertelli has plans for three rallies with the new WRC 2017. Could do other seven rallies with the 2016 version on WRC Trophy

itix
1st December 2016, 19:23
It's roughly 80 Hp difference, higher rpm etc. Yes, in my opinion it is a big difference for reliability but I may be wrong. Also the cooling may be an issue.

Correct. Bigger restrictor means higher airflow which allows for much faster engine speeds and the engine is usually made for a specific piston average speed so increasing the engine speed will mean rods through the crankcase (unless they change the crank throw as well but that would mean altering pretty much the entire engine)

dimviii
1st December 2016, 19:31
so increasing the engine speed will mean rods through the crankcase (unless they change the crank throw as well but that would mean altering pretty much the entire engine)

the increase at rpm/hp is not so big to have such problems.They have already forged rods.

AndyRAC
1st December 2016, 19:54
Not sure this WRC Trophy is a good thing. It will confuse casual motorsport fans.......

I'm not sure the WRC attracts that many 'casuals'.....so I wouldn't worry about that.

itix
1st December 2016, 21:57
the increase at rpm/hp is not so big to have such problems.They have already forged rods.
There is a limit to material strength. That which does not bend breaks so as much as you forge a rod, eventually it will break. Material fatigue is also a factor, and the piston rings, bearings etc will also wear faster. I don't remember how many rallies it is the engine has to stay in one piece without being touched but it will affect long term reliability.

Mirek
1st December 2016, 22:26
I think that we can all agree that it would at least shorten the rebuild periods considerably.

sete
2nd December 2016, 10:09
Which driver we can expect in WRC Trophy?
Prokop,Henning,Bertelli?

Andre Oliveira
2nd December 2016, 10:18
Henning maybe. Prokop i guess he will try 2017 car

Simmi
2nd December 2016, 11:41
Hopefully it won't go the way of R-GT. 2-3 cars turn up and then the whole thing dies a year later.

Mirek
2nd December 2016, 11:59
Honestly that's what I expect.

tomhlord
2nd December 2016, 12:11
A short-term solution for those with access to 2016 machinery, a way for M-Sport and PH Sport to make some money and nice to see (hopefully) a few Polos in use. Don't see much future in it personally.

dimviii
2nd December 2016, 12:41
There is a limit to material strength. That which does not bend breaks so as much as you forge a rod, eventually it will break. Material fatigue is also a factor, and the piston rings, bearings etc will also wear faster. I don't remember how many rallies it is the engine has to stay in one piece without being touched but it will affect long term reliability.
yes that's a general rule, but at wrc level don't expect problems something like that at this power/torque level.Even you can buy extra light weight rods for 1000 bhp for less than 1000 euro.

Mariusz
2nd December 2016, 18:29
Hopefully it won't go the way of R-GT. 2-3 cars turn up and then the whole thing dies a year later.
If I remember correctly, they need at least 5 drivers to register or this WRC Trophy will be cancelled in 2017.

pantealex
3rd December 2016, 11:25
This Cup will run max 3 years, after that there is enough used WRC17 in market (and also teams can do new ones for customers)

For sure this cup is not going to be very popular but for me every WRC start is important.

seb_sh
3rd December 2016, 12:33
If I remember correctly, they need at least 5 drivers to register or this WRC Trophy will be cancelled in 2017.

Yes, that's correct.

To me this category makes sense for a couple of years. Especially next year '17 cars will be few and the '16 cars would go unused. So it's a compromise during the transition. I'd like to see guys like Al-Attiyah and Henning Solberg take this up and race Prokop and Bertelli for example. Would make a nice mini series for a couple of years.

Sulland
3rd December 2016, 14:31
What if Ogier comes in a team with Al Attyah in a 16 Polo. Will he match a 17 WRC?

Mirek
3rd December 2016, 14:40
Such thing won't anyway happen.

Andre Oliveira
3rd December 2016, 15:18
Ogier in M-Sport is 99%

tc10a
3rd December 2016, 15:31
Ogier in M-Sport is 99%

In fans wishes, but in reality I doubt.

SubaruNorway
3rd December 2016, 15:34
Ogier in M-Sport is 99%

Neuville's words in the WRC podcast "I would like to see him in Ford, but pretty convinced the logic choice would be Citroen"

pantealex
3rd December 2016, 17:53
Ogier in M-Sport is 99%

I would give max 50% to that :)

pantealex
5th December 2016, 09:08
We must remember that they can run only 7 events, 6 best counts.

Rich "boys" goes to Mexico,Argentina and Australia to crap easy points...

Andre Oliveira
5th December 2016, 11:46
At least one event should be fixed. WRC2 will have 3 right?

tc10a
5th December 2016, 15:54
At least one event should be fixed. WRC2 will have 3 right?
WRC2 has Portugal - Germany - Wales as mandatory events in 2017

denkimi
5th December 2016, 16:18
On the other hand R5s are cheaper to run over a season, and not that much slower.

about 7 to 9 minutes per rally, which is actually a lot.

RS
5th December 2016, 16:59
about 7 to 9 minutes per rally, which is actually a lot.

Ultimate pace seemed to be around 1s/km different which sounds better but quite often in WRC2 they go into cruise mode after about one day so it doesn't look so good at the end of a rally.

Simmi
8th December 2016, 18:20
First confirmed entrant:

Jourdan Serderidis - Citroen DS3 - http://www.autonews-magazine.com/serderidis-miclotte-wrc-trophy-2017/

N.O.T
8th December 2016, 20:05
First confirmed entrant:

Jourdan Serderidis - Citroen DS3 - http://www.autonews-magazine.com/serderidis-miclotte-wrc-trophy-2017/

nice, now we need prokop as well and we can rename this farce into Hamburger trophy 2017

Andre Oliveira
8th December 2016, 20:23
Prokop will have 2017 car.

Agree with you, that trophy is a farce.

seb_sh
8th December 2016, 20:32

Agree with you, that trophy is a farce.

no it's not, especially in the 1st year. The alternative is having '16 cars be useless. So for the first year i think it's actually a good compromise.

Sub_Skoda
9th December 2016, 11:53

Where did you read that?
He couldn't race WRC Trophy with a 2017 car and he is wanted a Private Trophy since a long time ago...

Doon
9th December 2016, 12:00
no it's not, especially in the 1st year. The alternative is having '16 cars be useless. So for the first year i think it's actually a good compromise.

...but don't all WRC cars become "useless" at some point after regulations change? There was no special trophy for the 2litre cars. The S1600s died out when R3 was introduced.

MartijnS
9th December 2016, 12:25
Serderidis will participate with a DS3 WRC.

electroliquid
9th December 2016, 13:44
...but don't all WRC cars become "useless" at some point after regulations change? There was no special trophy for the 2litre cars. The S1600s died out when R3 was introduced.

2Litre, S1600 and all others are different story, WRC(ar) is only for WRC(hampionship), while others are (was) still usefull in ERC, ERT, IRC, different regional and national championships. FIA don't want WRC(ar) to let compete them in national and regional series, so what to do with these machines? Museum or privateers trophy...

Andre Oliveira
9th December 2016, 13:46
WRC 2.0 didn't had that luck

Franky
9th December 2016, 13:47
Doon meant the 2l WRCars.

dupanton
9th December 2016, 15:11
WRC 2.0 didn't had that luck

There is a big difference with the transition between 2.0 and 1.6 WRCs: The old 2.0 WRCs were (feared to be) faster than the 1.6WRCs. Now that isn't the case so they can safely allow the old WRC to run, they will not beat the works cars.

nafpaktos
9th December 2016, 18:31
There is a big difference with the transition between 2.0 and 1.6 WRCs: The old 2.0 WRCs were (feared to be) faster than the 1.6WRCs. Now that isn't the case so they can safely allow the old WRC to run, they will not beat the works cars.

I think the major reason was that 2.0L wrcars were much more expensive than the 1.6 wrcars.i dont think a private driver with a 2.0L car could beat an official car 1.6L car.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th December 2016, 18:45
The older privateers need a Championship as they cant win the WRC event.

They need to say they won the Privateers World Championship to tell sponsors... saying 'I came 10th in the WRC' doesnt get them any kudos.

And young up-and-coming drivers wont get 2016 WRC's as they cost too much to run. They will stay with R5's.

Andre Oliveira
18th December 2016, 21:20
Rumours about Brynildsen trying Fiesta WRC 2017, if failed, WRC 2016 in that "trophy".

Andre Oliveira
18th December 2016, 21:22
The older privateers need a Championship as they cant win the WRC event.

They need to say they won the Privateers World Championship to tell sponsors... saying 'I came 10th in the WRC' doesnt get them any kudos.

And young up-and-coming drivers wont get 2016 WRC's as they cost too much to run. They will stay with R5's.

But they still want high spec cars. M-Sport will sell some. Prokop wanted for years privateer media space in resume, but he will have a 2017 car as soon as possible.

Jarek Z
3rd January 2017, 10:25
First confirmed entrant:

The first and also the last entrant. Serderidis is going to win all the stages! :)
http://acm.mc/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Liste-par-ordre-de-priorit%C3%A9-10_finalAC.pdf

Andre Oliveira
6th January 2017, 17:29
Gorban in sweden entry list.

denkimi
6th January 2017, 17:45
The first and also the last entrant. Serderidis is going to win all the stages! :)
http://acm.mc/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Liste-par-ordre-de-priorit%C3%A9-10_finalAC.pdf

if he doesn't crash.

Jarek Z
7th January 2017, 13:07
if he doesn't crash.

At his speed?! ;)

mousti
7th January 2017, 13:29
At his speed?! ;)

He broke 2 chassis beginning last year at Monte Carlo and Haspengouw, he does the impossible :D

dupanton
7th January 2017, 13:43
At his speed?! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UofSbWhYM64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgEswd3_IFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAN4zJxxiQ
https://youtu.be/64uX2UukwJg?t=55s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPB6NbMkcc

nafpaktos
7th January 2017, 14:12
if anyone make again a sarcastic comment for Serderidis,i will hack the server.i will not let anybody to make fun with my compatriot.

Franky
7th January 2017, 14:13
At his speed?! ;)

As we found out last year, it's possible to crash even before the stage start.

Jarek Z
7th January 2017, 15:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPB6NbMkcc

Guys, thanks for finding the videos and all your comments. Especially the last video (above) is very impressive and leaves me speachless. I had no idea he was so talented ;)

br21
7th January 2017, 19:28
Thruth is without him Belgian rally scene will be much more weaker, he also helps quite a few drivers financially...

tommeke_B
7th January 2017, 20:39
Not only Belgian. I think Bergkvist would be sitting at home without the support of Serderidis. Rallying for him is his hobby, and clearly he doesn't have a lot of talent as a driver, but you must respect him for how he helps the sport by also supporting other drivers who do have the talent. Don't forget that people who got the luck and skills to become a professional rally driver were once supported by a guy like Serderidis.

That aside I don't think it's very clever to let him start just before the first R5 cars...

dupanton
8th January 2017, 10:24
I do have respect for him, he does a lot for the rallying in Belgium for sure :)

nafpaktos
9th January 2017, 14:53
http://www.lemagsportauto.com/wrc-trophy-interview-de-jourdan-serderidis/20311/

Sub_Skoda
25th January 2017, 17:27
An interview of WRC Trophy leader, Serderidis :
http://www.lemagsportauto.com/wrc-trophy-jourdan-serderidis-debriefe-monte-carlo/20661/

EightGear
25th January 2017, 18:16
An interview of WRC Trophy leader, Serderidis :

Well that's one way of putting it.. :D

Fast Eddie WRC
1st February 2017, 16:32
Autosport:
"The new WRC Trophy for the previous generation machines had only one registered entry on the Monte, where Jourdan Serderidis drove a Citroen.
The category will double in size for Sweden, as regular privateers Valeriy Gorban (Mini JCW WRC) and Lorenzo Bertelli (Ford Fiesta WRC) return."

Two entrants. Wow. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Ford had been back as a factory team (using M-Sport) would they be selling 2017 Fiesta's to privateers ?
If not then the WRC Trophy might have worked with the privateers all using the 2016 cars as intended.

As it is, M-Sport selling 2017 WRC's has finished the Trophy as a competition.

Simmi
1st February 2017, 16:50
I wonder if Ford had been back as a factory team (using M-Sport) would they be selling 2017 Fiesta's to privateers ?
If not then the WRC Trophy might have worked with the privateers all using the 2016 cars as intended.

As it is, M-Sport selling 2017 WRC's has finished the Trophy as a competition.

Isn't it the case the M-Sport have actually sold all cars from 2016 and earlier? I don't think they have any cars sitting around for prospective WRC Trophy clients. They were the prime people pushing for it so they clearly thought they had a business case.

Equally they were still churning out customer cars (albeit run under their M-Sport umbrella) while running as a works team.

Andre Oliveira
1st February 2017, 20:25
M-Sport sold all Fiesta WRC previous generation. But i think is still possible buy Prokop, Kubica and Al-Rahji units

Duvel
6th May 2017, 19:06
Prokop, Gorban and Raoux in the trophy for Portugal, shame Serderidis is not there.
Does someone know wich drivers have some more rally's planned in this trophy. Wil this be only outing of Raoux?

I still like the idea of tis extra championship, a shame there are not more competitors found..

Andre Oliveira
6th May 2017, 20:59
Yazeed in Sardegna possible.

pantealex
7th May 2017, 08:29
5 was minimum of entrants for this Trophy. Now they have it.

I´m still hoping that someone will start with VW

kure91
7th May 2017, 19:07
pantalex, didn´t they have to complete some minimal number of events to be counted in final classification at the end of year or am I mistaken and to compete one rally is enough?

AnttiL
8th May 2017, 11:03
Could we finally have some competition in this class?

Could someone tell me what's the motivation for Bertelli to drive a 2017 car and not compete the WRC Trophy? His speed clearly isn't on the level of the works drivers or Østberg, he has basically no one to compete with.

Raimund Baumschlager drove a 2016 Polo in an Austrian event a week ago, maybe he could do a WRC event? Or do you have to pre-enter to WRC Trophy at the beginning of the season?

rallyfiend
8th May 2017, 13:21

Could someone tell me what's the motivation for Bertelli to drive a 2017 car and not compete the WRC Trophy? His speed clearly isn't on the level of the works drivers or Østberg, he has basically no one to compete with.

Raimund Baumschlager drove a 2016 Polo in an Austrian event a week ago, maybe he could do a WRC event? Or do you have to pre-enter to WRC Trophy at the beginning of the season?

If you had the choice between driving a 2017 car against real competition or a 2016 car against a bunch of old men in a meaningless cup that no-one cares about, what would you choose?

AnttiL
8th May 2017, 13:49
If you had the choice between driving a 2017 car against real competition or a 2016 car against a bunch of old men in a meaningless cup that no-one cares about, what would you choose?

Let's add

1. Driving a 2017 car and losing by minutes to every other driver, with no one close to the same level.
2. Driving a 2016 car and most likely winning the Trophy, having some actual competition.

Prokop and Bertelli would be about the same speed, as would be Gorban and Al-Qassimi. That would be even some competition.

rallyfiend
8th May 2017, 14:23
Let's add

1. Driving a 2017 car and losing by minutes to every other driver, with no one close to the same level.
2. Driving a 2016 car and most likely winning the Trophy, having some actual competition.

Is there actual competition?

Up until Protugal there has only been 1 or two cars in the class. Is that 'actual competition'?

The Trophy is a joke, and I'd prefer the challenge and thrill of driving a 2017 spec car rather than beating old businessman..

AnttiL
8th May 2017, 14:24
rather than beating old businessman..

A young businessman beating the old ones? :D

stefanvv
8th May 2017, 15:03
Prokop and Bertelli would be about the same speed

Probably Prokop would be faster at every rally.

Watson
8th May 2017, 16:28
I'm with AnttiL. The cause for Bertelli competing in the WRC is the combination of a premature midlife crisis and a monstrosity of a silver spoon, and nobody is impressed. I'm not trying to imply that he is entirely talentless but if you are say a decent amateur footballer and for whatever reason you get a chance to play with people way better than you, at first it's fun but on a regular basis you just look like a tool and you would feel like one too when you're always the one giving the ball away. In WRC Trophy or even WRC2 he could see his own progress and a fight with a veteran or a youngster is surely more meaningful than trailing even the off-form works drivers by minutes.

But then we don't have to get it I suppose.

Simmi
8th May 2017, 16:28
I don't really agree Watson.

It's about mentality and why you do it. In the case of Bertelli, I think he's taking advantage of the opportunities rallying presents. Specifically that with the right budget you can have access to the exact same car as the world champion, and you can legitimately pit yourself against the best in the world. I think he's working on improving his time-loss per kilometre.

I have to assume that is a bigger attraction to him than battling maybe one or two other drivers for a meaningless pot. If he really wanted competition he'd be in WRC2. But he has the means to be at the very top. I can't blame him for not targeting the 'I beat Martin Prokop Trophy'.

N.O.T
8th May 2017, 16:51
I don't really agree Watson.

It's about mentality and why you do it. In the case of Bertelli, I think he's taking advantage of the opportunities rallying presents. Specifically that with the right budget you can have access to the exact same car as the world champion, and you can legitimately pit yourself against the best in the world. I think he's working on improving his time-loss per kilometre.

I have to assume that is a bigger attraction to him than battling maybe one or two other drivers for a meaningless pot. If he really wanted competition he'd be in WRC2. But he has the means to be at the very top. I can't blame him for not targeting the 'I beat Martin Prokop Trophy'.

LOL.

Watson
8th May 2017, 17:20
I know what you mean Simmi. I just don't see the thrill in it. Surely it must be great fun to hoon around in the latest spec car but then he'll never be able to consideringly close the gap to the big boys in this lifetime, will he? I know I'm repeating myself but sport is first and foremost about competition and if he doesn't want any he might as well just buy the car and a forest and go pedal to the metal there.

Then again, it does not bother me and any car on the start list is healthy for the WRC. I just don't understand what he gets out of it and that is fine also.

AL14
9th May 2017, 14:42
Bertelli is just a spoiled kid that rates himself way much higher than he actually is because (it seems to me) he has been accustomed to it when he was a child.

I know I may sound superficial but it seems so clear to me. This guy tries to convince himself he is worth it everytime, and then fail miserably, but after 3 years he is still there. I agree with Watson, when you play with the big boys it's funny at first... but then you begin to become pathetic when you lose the ball continuously.

BigWorm
9th May 2017, 15:26

He has the money to do it, so he does it for his own stimulation.

AnttiL
16th October 2017, 08:56
What is the future of this class? Will it continue to 2018? Will we have new competitors?

tommeke_B
16th October 2017, 09:19
There's no point of continuing this tourist trophy. All respect for people who like to enjoy their expensive hobby, but they don't belong there, between WRC and WRC2. I hope the FIA puts an end to this misery.

AnttiL
16th October 2017, 09:26
There's no point of continuing this tourist trophy. All respect for people who like to enjoy their expensive hobby, but they don't belong there, between WRC and WRC2. I hope the FIA puts an end to this misery.

I mean, have no problem with the tourists entering their cars, but at least their class should start after WRC2 to prevent incidents like Kopecky being slowed down by Serderidis on a long stage in Catalunya. And if there's lack of WRC17 cars on the power stage, the WRC2 leaders should be shown instead. And luckily the latter is what they've started to do towards the end of the season. The same should go for WRC radio, if they have time to interview 3 drivers after the last WRC17 car, we get the Trophy guys instead of the WRC2 leaders that could be actually interesting.

Simmi
16th October 2017, 11:02
Yeah it's really added nothing at all to the show this season. Just messed up the seeding a bit like AnttiL says.

I maintain it was worth a try but the demand just isn't there. It was also quite interesting that the people who most vocally appeared to call for this - M-Sport - barely had any involvement in the trophy. I think their Fiestas are all being rallied elsewhere.

Archie Gillaine
16th October 2017, 12:23
Just rename it the WRC Tourist Trophy....because that's what its for.....

BigWorm
16th October 2017, 16:46
What is Prokop's stance on this? Thought he was going to run more than two events in this but it looks like he has zero interest and I wouldn't blame him for it.

Tarmop
16th October 2017, 16:59
Well, he was demanding this privateers class, complaining how hard it was to compete with factories.

AnttiL
16th October 2017, 17:30
Well he said in the summer that Østberg's WRC17 outings became surprisingly difficult and expensive for the team. My theory is that it's the reason why Prokop hasn't been driving this year and the reason Østberg returned to his own team.

Mirek
16th October 2017, 18:12
He will drive Dakar in January. For the rest we'll see but since he stopped driving regularly he clearly lost a lot of speed and I don't think he can ever come back to his status from few years back - being the best of the rest and occasionally challenging some works drivers.

RS
16th October 2017, 20:16
Well he said in the summer that Østberg's WRC17 outings became surprisingly difficult and expensive for the team. My theory is that it's the reason why Prokop hasn't been driving this year and the reason Østberg returned to his own team.

When did Ostberg return to his own team?

AnttiL
16th October 2017, 20:27

The last OneBet Jipocar WRT rally was Rally Finland. He was supposed to do Deutschland in an R5 car (run by Adapta, and probably not WRC because the team change was in progress). In Catalunya his team was called OneBet Adapta WRT.

Andre Oliveira
16th October 2017, 20:40
From OneBet Jipocar WRT thread:

Østberg looks forward to mixed surfaces in Spain

Mads Østberg is back in the world rally championship coming weekend in Spain, partnered by codriver Torstein Eriksen in the Ford Fiesta WRC. The Norwegian privateer chose to drop Rally Germany in august, but now he is back in business under his new team banner Onebet Adapta World Rally Team.

-We have decided to end the cooperation with the Jipocar organisation, and run the car with our own team. It`s really nothing dramatic or sensational about that, as we have run under the Adapta banner and with our own people in the WRC before, Mads Østberg says.

Having been out of the championship since Finland in the end of July Mads is looking forward driving competitively again and to the unique character of Rally de Catalunya.

-The combination of gravel and tarmac stages is unique in the championship and definitely a special challenge connected to the driving and the technical aspect. I hope to use my starting position for the gravel stages on Friday to my advantage. The gravel roads in Spain are medium speed and technical in character, which should suit me well. The tarmac roads are super smooth and as close to tarmac racing we experience in the WRC, and I hope to be able to show that I can be competitive also on that type of roads, Mads says.

Its two months since the last WRC event for Mads, but he has had competitive outings in the meantime. Three weeks ago he did a couple of races as a guest driver in the Swedish Porsche Carrera Championship, and with good results. Last weekend he drove the last round of the Norwegian Championship with his Fiesta WRC and Emil Axelsson as codriver. As expected he won the rally with a clear margin.

-The Porsche drive in Sweden obviously couldn`t compare with rallying, but it was valuable driving experience on tarmac. And I wasn`t too bad as a tarmac racer, really! The rally in Norway was used as a gravel test, and we had very good progression trying different set-ups during the day. The rally also gave me the chance to have Emil Axelsson in the car with me, as we are still evaluating different codriver choices for next year, Mads says.

Rally RACC Catalunya Rally de Espana is based in the holiday resort Salou, south of Barcelona. The rally opens Friday with six special stages totalling 115 km, of which appr. 95 km is gravel roads. The longest stage during the day, Terra Alta, has some tarmac parts and will be a challenge with the mixed surfaces on a nearly 40 km long stage.

Saturday and Sunday is run exclusively on fast and smooth tarmac roads, seven stages totalling 122 km on the Saturday and a further six stages for 75 km on Sunday . SS19 Santa Marina 2 is the final stage with «power stage» bonus points. The rally finishes at 14.00 in Salou.

ESTR
16th October 2017, 21:12
But still gorban have second best sound of rallycars. That tractor is atractive. :cool:

Munkvy
17th October 2017, 00:52
But still gorban have second best sound of rallycars. That tractor is atractive. :cool:

Sadly the one good thing about the Trophy class!

pantealex
17th October 2017, 08:45
Points now:
Gorban 100p
Raoux 79p
Serderidis 76p
Prokop 40p
Al-Rajhi 25p
Bertelli 0p

If something happens to Al-Rajhi and Serderidis "wins" Wales, he would have 101p.
Would that be 1st time that slowest competitor wins series ?

AnttiL
17th October 2017, 08:52
Points now:
Gorban 100p
Raoux 79p
Serderidis 76p
Prokop 40p
Al-Rajhi 25p
Bertelli 0p

If something happens to Al-Rajhi and Serderidis "wins" Wales, he would have 101p.
Would that be 1st time that slowest competitor wins series ?

And he could still go to Australia, only four rallies done :cool:

rp
17th October 2017, 09:21
And he could still go to Australia, only four rallies done :cool:

It was announced earlier that Serderidis will drive also Australia, but we will see.

If he will win in GB it´s enough for him to secure the "WRC Tourist Trophy" :)

ESTR
17th October 2017, 19:35
My opinion on this is that this class must include all previous cars from world championship, from wrc, s2000, gr. a, gr. b, gr. 2 & gr. 4. Like historic cup. It would be fantastic for fans to see legends on stages.

dupanton
17th October 2017, 20:42
It was announced earlier that Serderidis will drive also Australia, but we will see.

If he will win in GB it´s enough for him to secure the "WRC Tourist Trophy" :)

He will certainly go to Australia!