PDA

View Full Version : Red flags in qualifying

N4D13
29th July 2016, 15:45
In a new knee-jerk reaction from the FIA, they've announced that rather than double yellow flags, they will only use either single yellow flags or red flags in qualifying.

Make your bets - how long before someone realizes what a terrible idea this is and they go back to the previous policy?

Tazio
29th July 2016, 16:00
I can tell you one thing, it has the potential to lead to some long quali sessions!

mr_swiss
29th July 2016, 17:07
They should implement a rule to make it mandatory to add and change a rule every race weekend.

inimitablestoo
30th July 2016, 10:37
Perfectly sensible rule change. Why on earth were double yellows used in qualifying, which is for the sole purpose of going quickly, in the first place? Either you have an advisory yellow flag or a red; simple. Double yellows and qualifying are incompatible. Period

Bagwan
30th July 2016, 19:46
Here's a fun , and related quote from Fred :
“I have been racing 16 years in Formula 1 and 31 in motorsport,and we have always had a single yellow and a double yellow and there have never been any issues apart from when you are fighting for the world championship and apart from when Nico is doing it.”

Would we have this red flag rule if Lewis hadn't complained ?

Jag_Warrior
13th August 2016, 19:37
If certain drivers aren't going to respect the double yellow and it's a total judgment call by the stewards as to whether or not they have sufficiently slowed, I guess this was the only thing that Charlie could do. Didn't it used to be the case that you couldn't set a faster lap when the double yellow was out? Seems like I remember that being the case and I believe Vettel alluded to that too.

I agree with Inimitablestoo. Keep it simple: yellow or red.