PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip. Brit in America

Brown, Jon Brow
25th June 2016, 19:45
So a few weeks ago I spent two amazing weeks in the USA for my mates stag (bachelor party) and wedding to an American girl. Here are a few things I learned from my time across the pond.

The first weekend was in New York City. Despite a cock up with our accommodation in Manhattan (airBnb didn't show up) our party of 5 were able to find somewhere to stay in Jersey City instead. After our first visit to a nightclub, which was on a boat on the Hudson, it becomes obvious that American girls like talking to English guys!

Another observation comes from Irish bars. Obviously coming from Britain I encounter many Irish people at home, but the accent of the 'Irish' in New York is like nothing I've heard before.

Our next location was Chicago. We only spent one day there and despite being a beautiful city, for a city of its size there is very little going on. It seemed to me like a big version of Birmingham.

Next up was a the beginning of the road trip. Stage one was a 200 mile drive on the IS65 to Indianapolis. A state capital but had the feeling of a big suburb. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of American Ales, lots of wheat beer, Newcastle Brown on tap and a British take called 'Bugger Off' .

I'd previously driven in the USA before but not done much city driving over there. But the grid system in the cities makes it quite simple. The only thing I had to concentrate on was turning left.

Phase 2 was 300 miles south to Nashville. Drove through Kentucky without seeing a single KFC, so we stopped for at a diner where the change of accent becomes apparent 'Ya wanna top up on ya soda, sugar?'. But what was waiting for us in Nashville was unexpected. The CMA Awards were in town. I know very little about country music but I'm sad I didn't have any cowboy boots. It was a great experience.

Phase 3 was 200 miles along the 40 to Memphis. The best thing about Memphis? BBQ ribs at Rendezvous. One of the best things I've ever tasted. One observation from driving on the Interstate is the reluctance of people to keep right when not overtaking.

Next up was a long drive across Arkansas to meet up with the wedding party. We were in a fairly remote area with one store in a 30 mile radius (called Backwoods :laugh:). An interesting moment came when we were asked for ID buying beer by the lady in Backwoods. I don't suppose she'd ever seen a none American ID before so we had to explain where the date of birth was shown on an English driving license. Y'all a long way from home boys aren't ya'

Over the wedding weekend I really enjoyed my time talking to the brides American family and friends. The southern accent is a pleasure to the ears and everyone was really friendly, even they didn't understand our English half of the time.

I did try and get some of you to say certain words correctly:

Twitter not 'twidder'
Water not 'wader'
Toyota not 'Toyoda'
Condom not 'Cand'm' :erm:

We watched the England v Russia game in a quiet bar in Fayeteville, Arkansas after we asked if they could change the channel from Baseball. When Eric Diers free-kick hit the back of the net and we all roared, the Americans were stunned into silence asking 'what happened??'. They were probably worried an English Soccer riot was about to happen. Hopefully the Americans wanted the English to beat the Russians....

We had another night in New York before our flight back. Maybe I was tired but the after being in the south the New York accent just seemed annoying. New York has a similar feeling to London in that everyone is busy all the time and quite rude, but I feel once you've seen the main attractions it has less to offer to other global cities like London or Paris. I'm also not a fan of the NY Subway in comparison to other underground railways I've used. Stations aren't clearly called out when on the train and buying a ticket is a long drawn out affair. How is a foreign tourist supposed to use a credit card to buy a ticket when we are asked for a zip code?

Overall, thank you America for an incredible few weeks. :beer:

I'd really like to check out the west coast next time.

Starter
25th June 2016, 22:33
One observation from driving on the Interstate is the reluctance of people to keep right when not overtaking.
Yes, it's rude and a major pain in the butt. Some people are oblivious.

Overall, thank you America for an incredible few weeks. :beer:

I'd really like to check out the west coast next time.

You're welcome. Y'all come back again. :D

You'll love our west. Some of the most beautiful scenery in all the world.

gadjo_dilo
25th June 2016, 22:41
Jon Brow you're a great story teller. :p
Have you ever tried to write a story?

Brown, Jon Brow
25th June 2016, 23:39
Yes, it's rude and a major pain in the butt. Some people are oblivious.

It's much worse through urban areas I feel.

In the UK most of us would probably support police marksmen picking off drivers hogging the middle lane of the motorway.

You're welcome. Y'all come back again. :D

Which state are you from, Starter?

Jon Brow you're a great story teller. :p
Have you ever tried to write a story?

Maybe one about Romania winning the Euros?

Starter
26th June 2016, 02:08
In the UK most of us would probably support police marksmen picking off drivers hogging the middle lane of the motorway.
I'd help reload.

Which state are you from, Starter?
I live in Maryland, but have traveled in much of the west. Love it there. I'd move to Idaho/Montana/Colorado in a skinny minute, but the wife doesn't do cold winters. The rest of the country has nice places too, but the Rocky Mountain states are especially beautiful.

Tazio
26th June 2016, 03:43
Maybe I was tired but the after being in the south the New York accent just seemed annoying. New York has a similar feeling to London in that everyone is busy all the time and quite rude No Jon I think your observation is well founded, and most Americans would agree with you; New Yorkers are to a large degree rude, and their accent is annoying as it gets!

Storm
28th June 2016, 18:24
Road trips in America are fun....I love eating at rural restaurants where they are fascinated sometimes to see a real 'brown' person (but always very amiable) and the ribs are awesome.

You weren't too far away from me at one of your stops JBJ

Rollo
28th June 2016, 23:56

Califonia State 1 is excellent.

Truth be told, I also like the 405 as well though.

Tazio
29th June 2016, 01:39
Califonia State 1 is excellent.

Truth be told, I also like the 405 as well though.
Just out of curiosity what as it about rthe 405 you liked. Maybe I'm just too familiar with it, but it basically runs through some beach communities in Orange County, and L.A. There is a great view of strip malls, and high rise business buildings :confused:. Now the 101 that is a spectacular ride.

Rollo
30th June 2016, 13:13
Just out of curiosity what as it about the 405 you liked.

405 is a 3mph parking lot.

Mrs Rollo came from San Diego and so every time we've been back, 405 has been like one giant motor show. Not full of all the exotic supercars which only rich people get to drive but normal things like Nissan Sentras, Toyota Matrix, Scion, Acura, Civic coupes, as well as stuff like Impalas, Grand Prix and whatnot that we don't get to see in Australia.

405 is a rubbish road but it is full of slow moving humanity and you see some really extraordinary things. We once saw some guy with a shaker egg who was bopping along to something like Kenny G on the 405.

Tazio
1st July 2016, 01:31
405 is a rubbish road but it is full of slow moving humanity and you see some really extraordinary things

Oh!!! The humanity!
Your post reminded me of something I saw on the 405 a long time ago. Their was a Mercedes in front of me with a personalized license plate that read "YRU poor" :laugh:

yodasarmpit
3rd July 2016, 12:08
Did the drive from Manhattan to Niagara CA and back last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, but like you drivers sitting in the fast lane drove me nuts.