PDA

View Full Version : Victora Day Long Weekend

Firstgear
20th May 2016, 18:38
Once a year, I am reminded that there is actually a positive aspect of being a part of the British Commonwealth - The Victoria Day Long Weekend (which happens to be this weekend).

Around these parts, it is unofficially the start of camping and cottaging season. Campgrounds and cottage areas, turn from quiet, tranquil places to loud, packed party centres for the weekend as everyone wakes up from their winter hibernation and tries to get all their Ya-Ya's out in three short days.

I'll be heading out to the cabin to get it ready for the summer. This means hooking up the water pump, turning on the electricity and stocking the fridge & cupboards. Then comes the fun - avoiding wood ticks while chasing varmits (rabbit, squirrel, prairie chicken...) in the forest with my son, and maybe pretending to try and catch something by throwing a lure in the water (fishing season started last weekend). The forecast is good, so I'm sure I'll be hanging out on the deck with a brew at the BBQ. Hopefully my pot-smoking neighbor will keep his music down.

Any of you other Commonwealthers get a long weekend, or have long weekend traditions?

Rollo
21st May 2016, 02:44
Any of you other Commonwealthers get a long weekend, or have long weekend traditions?

This appears to be a Canadian thing. In Australia we get Queen's Birthday weekend on the second Monday in June. Being winter, it's kind of pointless.

Starter
21st May 2016, 04:23
Ah yes, fishing. That's where you throw a line in the water with no hook or bait, just a sinker, open a couple beers and hope the fish don't like lead.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st May 2016, 13:01
Bank Holiday here next weekend.

Then after that have two weeks in the US :D