PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Marshall

steveaki13
29th April 2016, 18:24
Hi everyone,

Normally this kind of post comes from new members and its there only post :p

However its your old mate Stevie today

I thought as it relates to why most of us come to this forum, I would share the news that I have applied to a Marshall taster day at Brands Hatch at the end of May. During the Historic event. With the full intention of becoming a regular Marshall in time.

I am very excited I have to say and a tad nervous.

Anyone done it on here or got any ideas, advice or tips?

I am finally admitting I will never make motorsport as a driver :D so going to get involved by getting close to the action and helping out.

D-Type
29th April 2016, 21:46
Like any new job, remember the old Yorkshireman's advice: "See owt, hear owt, say nowt".

I once had a flatmate who was a keen marshall. He reckoned you had to take the rough with the smooth - the rough being stuck on a windswept corner miles from anywhere, with an upset stomach, in a rainstorm, combined with a force ten gale at a minor club meeting. But he loved being "on the inside" of events.

Enjoy yourself!

J4MIE
1st May 2016, 01:20
I used to marshal at rallies but won't these days due to potential liability issues...

I do see lots of marshals rushing to assist at incidents when the best thing they can often do is wait 5-10 seconds to think

So don't rush in. Keep yourself safe firstly, then your fellow marshals, then the competitors.

Starter
2nd May 2016, 15:09
I've been a marshal for many years in the states. SCCA club events all the way to F1 and events in neighboring countries too. It is, without doubt, the best seat in the house outside of being behind the wheel. I started marshaling when I was a lot younger and, though I would have liked to race, had NO money so marshaling was the next best thing. Later, when I could have afforded to race, I was well hooked on marshaling and that was it. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.