PDA

View Full Version : working in BTCC

wheelie
26th April 2007, 09:24
Hi Everyone

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but i thought it was a good place to start.

I really really wanna work with a touring car team! I have always wanted to do this since i was a kid and i met john clelland at the motor show! (dont laugh!!)

i have car trade experience, trained as a mechanic when i left school but couldnt get an apprenticeship because back then it wasnt a girls job so i got put into the service area which is where i stayed.
I guess i would need to work in hospitality or something as i've got stack of customer service experience but i'd like to be directly involved with the team and drivers. I have a connection with a formula BMW which is giving me some good experience,even though i've only done a couple of race's with them!!

i have tried contacting most of the BTCC teams about working with them,even in an unpaid role but i seem to be hitting my head against a brick wall! :rolleyes:

Hope someone can help!!

Cheers

Lou :bounce:
x

Henry Cutts
26th April 2007, 10:00
Try emailing any team you are interested in working with, You may be better talking to teams in the support races to gain some experience.

Remember a lot of the teams probably get lots of email from people asking for a job. So when you’re at a race meeting, (when they are not busy!) talk to the mechanics/team manager about the job, they might have a job for you like cleaning the car! It shows you are keen and you can start learning other parts of the job if you work hard by the end of the year you might be doing something more technical!

cos
26th April 2007, 14:09
Have a read through what the MIA say about careers in the motorsport industry:
http://www.the-mia.com/index.cfm?editID=84

Funks
26th April 2007, 18:41
For a mechanical career you really need to start out with working for teams that run in the various support series - or club racing even. Get some mileage under your belt at grass roots and you'll be in with a far better chance of progressing to bigger things.

fabricator/61
26th April 2007, 21:36
If you buy a copy of Autosport and look in the sits vac section there is usually ads for agencies that provide temps etc to the motorsport industry. When you're on their books hopefully something will turn up. The big problem is that working in motorsport looks attractive, smart uniforms appearing on TV sometimes, but in reality it is hard graft little sleep and anti-social if you are married or in a relationship!