PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Wilson Wins

jonas_mcrae
11th December 2006, 22:40
Stobart VK M-Sport Ford Rally Team's Matthew Wilson finished the 2006 season with a rally victory at Grizedale Rally. - WRC.com

Matthew Wilson - Ford fOcus WRC 06 - 45:11
Geoff Jones - Subaru Impreza N4 -47:47
Barry Johnson - Subaru Impreza Wrc - 47:48

So at last a win for slowson, maybe the switch of codriver is the secret for success - "Wilson was not paired with his usual co-driver for the event, Michael Orr, instead he was co-driven by Scott Martin."

but have to consider he was racing against this:

jonas_mcrae
11th December 2006, 22:42
oh yes i forgot

""I was amazed with how much we were leading by after the first two stages so after that we just cruised it round." M.W

amazed? even him could not belive that LOL

Tomski
11th December 2006, 22:43
Luckily it was the course car and not the oposition!!!!

:rolleyes:

306 Cosworth
11th December 2006, 22:59
He has won a couple fo rallys in GB before back in 2004 ;)

Tomski
11th December 2006, 23:03
Didn't he win the Trackrod in 2005 as well?

306 Cosworth
11th December 2006, 23:10
Yes he did I think it was his first BRC event after his crash in Wales

Simmi
11th December 2006, 23:37
He ran in Ulster before that win on the Trackrod. He won in Grizedale back in 2004 too. I bet that was a nice surprise for the speccies at that rally.

noel157
12th December 2006, 00:11
I read a quote somewhere that he hopes to get top 5 stage times / positions (can't remember which) in 07. Hope he does but I'm not so sure.

FrankenSchwinn
12th December 2006, 00:28
isnt it strange that there is a guy with an 06 focus running in the wrc but never won a championship and only won a handfull of rallies without true opposition?

i am all for the guy, i just think that maybe his dad should send him out in the fiesta doing the brc, then an old focus to later move to a full wrc championship after he wins something.

ok, dont get me wrong, i am not bashing. it's just that he had an 06 focus vs. imprezas and yet he is surprised to win..... why isnt he running the brc like his father did, and then join the wrc?

Bjorn240
12th December 2006, 00:38
End of the day, he has to manage his career as he sees fit. If he has a secured budget to go rallying for three years or four years, he might as well spend it getting familiar with the events on the WRC an in a WRC car.

Sure it'd be nice for him to win a championship, but if the end-all goal is to win the WRC, practice there surely beats practice in the UK, or anywhere else. Driver development is always a balance of how much how soon, balanced against how much budget you have. If your dad builds WR cars, and you can afford to go run the WRC, why not do it?

It isn't my money, so I'm not going to tell him how to spend it. Assuredly, he's got his own group of advisors. If they think the best way to get Matthew to WRC-winning speed is for him to drive a WR car in WRC events, so be it.

Simmi
12th December 2006, 14:08
Perfectly right Christian. And FrankenSchwinn he isnt running the BRC because it has nothing more to offer him. If it hadn't closed the door on WRC cars then I'm sure this year he would have run another BRC season with limited WRC events but that was not the case.

FrankenSchwinn
12th December 2006, 15:00
ah, i didnt know the brc banned wrcs!

christian i guess with what he has available to compete with, well, why not....

turves
12th December 2006, 16:20
If he has a secured budget to go rallying for three years or four years

He has a five year plan (four years remaining).

Tomski
12th December 2006, 16:45
If the results don't start to improve next year, % years is looking like a bad investment...........

jonas_mcrae
12th December 2006, 17:26
he has to make some improvements, im not asking him podiums or anything, just at least not to crash or brake the focus in every rally...

Peugeot206WRC
12th December 2006, 17:38
Verry hard opposition he got, and he got amazed...

Well, cant say im impressed.

Halfshaft
13th December 2006, 07:24
He also won Rally Ireland in 2005 aswell.