PDA

View Full Version : Most forgotten man to place 2nd in WDC?

Jimmy Magnusson
25th April 2007, 18:24
We all know about the great talenths that never won a WDC - Moss, Peterson and so on. But who is the most forgotten/least remembered driver to finish 2nd in the world driver's championship? This is a list of all people who have done so:

Juan Manuel Fangio
Alberto Ascari
Giuseppe Farina
José Froilán González
Stirling Moss
Tony Brooks
Bruce McLaren
Wolfgang von Trips
Jim Clark
Graham Hill
John Surtees
Jack Brabham
Jackie Stewart
Jacky Ickx
Ronnie Peterson
Emerson Fittipaldi
Clay Regazzoni
Niki Lauda
Jody Scheckter
Gilles Villeneuve
Nelson Piquet
Carlos Reutemann
Didier Pironi
Alain Prost
Michele Alboreto
Nigel Mansell
Ayrton Senna
Ricardo Patrese
Damon Hill
Jacques Villeneuve
Heinz-Harald Frentzen
Michael Schumacher
Eddie Irvine
Mika Häkkinen
David Coulthard
Rubens Barrichello
Kimi Räikkönen

Out of those there are several world champions, so naturally we take those away. We then end up with:

José Froilán González
Stirling Moss
Tony Brooks
Bruce McLaren
Wolfgang von Trips
Jacky Ickx
Ronnie Peterson
Clay Regazzoni
Gilles Villeneuve
Carlos Reutemann
Didier Pironi
Michele Alboreto
Ricardo Patrese
Heinz-Harald Frentzen
Eddie Irvine
David Coulthard
Rubens Barrichello
Kimi Räikkönen

I have personally taken out what I consider "legendary drivers" from the following list: Moss, McLaren, Peterson, Ickx, Regazzoni, Villeneuve and Reuterman.

José Froilán González
Tony Brooks
Wolfgang von Trips
Didier Pironi
Michele Alboreto
Ricardo Patrese
Heinz-Harald Frentzen
Eddie Irvine
David Coulthard
Rubens Barrichello
Kimi Räikkönen

I don't know much about the earliest years of F1, so forgive me on that one - I don't know how well regarded Tony Brooks, von Trips or González is for example. But out of those I personally would think that Alboreto, Frentzen and Coulthard maybe the least remembered?

akv89
25th April 2007, 18:33
The only one I can't recognize from that list is Tony Brooks.

jens
26th April 2007, 21:37
In many years' time probably Frentzen's 2nd place will be forgotten, because he got that place only 'thanks' to Schumacher's disqualification.

D-Type
26th April 2007, 22:01
The only one I can't recognize from that list is Tony Brooks.I rather think that answers the original question.

ChrisS
26th April 2007, 22:17
Coulthard Barrichello Raikkonen are still active in F1, Frentzen only left f1 a few years ago and up until last season he was active at DTM, Irvine similarly only left F1 a few years ago and still makes the news from time to time so these drivers are easily remembered by most F1 fans

Alboreto and Patrese raced up until the early 90s so again a lot of f1 fans will probably know who they are. Alboreto was an Italian racing for Ferrari and that of course made him very popular, Patrese is probably most remembered as the driver with the most GP entries.

Pironi is remembered by many as the one responsible for Villeneuve's death, which is wrong, he was considered to be among the fastest drivers of his time and if it wasnt for his career ending crash he would most likely be the 1982 champion.

Wolfgang von Trips would most likely be the 1961 champion if it wasnt for his fatal accident at the last race of the season at Monza. instead he is now most likely associated with one of the darkest days of F1 when 15 people lost their lives.

Gonzalez and Brooks I don't know much about, Gonzalez is most known as the driver than gave Ferrari its first ever F1 win, Brooks is probably best known for his ride sharing win along with Moss at the 1957 British Grand Prix.

ArrowsFA1
27th April 2007, 09:14
Riccardo Patrese is not someone I'll forget in a hurry, but then I'm biased :s mokin:

jedii
27th April 2007, 16:01
prob frentzen and albereto

ShiftingGears
27th April 2007, 16:10
In another decade or two Frentzen would be definitely there I should think, most only know him now because he was a fairly recent driver. For me it's Alboreto.

Big Ben
27th April 2007, 16:45
frentzen is the most forgotten for me. I was trying to remember when did that happen but somebody remembered me that it was MS who got him up there

dwf1
27th April 2007, 19:36
I dont see many people seeing remembering Irvine leading ferrari in 1999

28th April 2007, 10:55
I dont see many people seeing remembering Irvine leading ferrari in 1999

Oh, I don't know about that. 1999 was a pretty good year for F1 in terms of the story of the championship.

Actually, I also think that both Eddie & Alboreto will be remembered simply because the Tifosi will remember them.....driving a Ferrari and producing the best form of your career in it will always be a help when it comes to recognition.

dwf1
28th April 2007, 11:48
yeah but that year was remembered for schumachers comeback.....not how well Irivine led ferrari after years of being number 2

28th April 2007, 11:59
yeah but that year was remembered for schumachers comeback.....not how well Irivine led ferrari after years of being number 2

So how come that's exactly what I remember it for?

BDunnell
28th April 2007, 19:48
So how come that's exactly what I remember it for?

Me too. It was a terrific season, full of interest.

ChrisS
28th April 2007, 23:42

how well? as far as I remember he was outpaced by Salo in a 1-2 races and at the final race he failed to deliver

BTW Franzen is probably more remembered for his 99 season with Jordan than his 97 season with Williams

dwf1
28th April 2007, 23:50
how well? as far as I remember he was outpaced by Salo in a 1-2 races and at the final race he failed to deliver

BTW Franzen is probably more remembered for his 99 season with Jordan than his 97 season with Williams

Salo outpaced him Germany but let him through and then in Italy Irvine had a problem with his car.

raphael123
30th April 2007, 10:09
Irvine was driving great in 99 before Schumacher's crash, but he had a weak end of season. The irony of Schumacher's implementing team orders resulted in Ferrari losing out on the drivers title in 99. If Irvine hadn't had let Schumacher past in the earlier rounds of that year, Irvine would have ended up with the title!

It was that year, when Irvine was pretty much up there with Schmacher, pressurising him more so than in any of the previous seasons, that Ferrari all of a sudden decided they didn't want to keep a driver, having his best season ever, and wanted to plunge for another unknown quantity at the time, and pick Rubens Barrichello.

Salo did a solid job, but nothing spectacular apart from Hockenheim race. Schumacher did a sterling job when he came back though in fairness to the guy!

Garry Walker
30th April 2007, 17:35
Wolfgang von Trips would most likely be the 1961 champion if it wasnt for his fatal accident at the last race of the season at Monza. instead he is now most likely associated with one of the darkest days of F1 when 15 people lost their lives.

It wasnt the last race, there was one GP after that.

Brooks gets my vote, I dont think people with less than very deep interest in f1 history and racing history in general, know anything about him.

wedge
1st May 2007, 12:26
Wolfgang Von Trips had cult status in his day.

Chris Rea (a tifosi if you didn't know) has mentioned the German as one of the first F1 drivers he idolised. I remember he produced a film based on the Monza incident but I can't remember the title.

BeansBeansBeans
1st May 2007, 12:42
Personally, I'd say Von Trips, because although I'd heard of him, I never realised how good he was, or how close he'd come to being World Champion.

Cozzie
2nd May 2007, 07:20
Von Trips for sure, he was an exceptional driver and would have won in 1961 and who knows how many other times.

That film Chris Rea produced was La Passione.

ClarkFan
2nd May 2007, 17:09
I rather think that answers the original question.

Or just speaks to akv89's youth. Brooks was a highly distinguished driver in the 1950's and won 6 championship GPs. In 1958, he provided Moss a very close match when they both drove for Vanwall. He also won a number of major sports car races for Aston Martin.

Give another 40 years, and Pironi, Alboreto or Frentzen will be at least as obscure as Brooks is today.

ClarkFan

2nd May 2007, 17:30
Give another 40 years, and Pironi, Alboreto or Frentzen will be at least as obscure as Brooks is today.

ClarkFan

Maybe, but it's worth noting that Didier was leading the championship for Ferrari when he was seriously injured. Whilst he was never really loved by the Tifosi, he was on the brink of winning a championship for them, and that would have not been forgotten.

Also worth noting that he finished 2nd despite not racing in the last 5 races.

Has any other driver done that?

BDunnell
2nd May 2007, 17:32
Or just speaks to akv89's youth. Brooks was a highly distinguished driver in the 1950's and won 6 championship GPs. In 1958, he provided Moss a very close match when they both drove for Vanwall. He also won a number of major sports car races for Aston Martin.

ClarkFan

Brooks would also have gone on to further success, I'm sure, if he had wanted to. Still, his decision to retire while he was still alive and well was quite impressive in itself.

2nd May 2007, 17:34
Oh......and he would have been the first French Formula One World Champion as well.

ArrowsFA1
2nd May 2007, 19:06
Brooks gets my vote, I dont think people with less than very deep interest in f1 history and racing history in general, know anything about him.
I agree :up: The impression I have of Brooks is a very understated, yet very talented, gentleman, whose profile in F1 history terms is undeservedly overshadowed by the likes of Moss and Hawthorn.

Garry Walker
2nd May 2007, 21:14
I agree :up: The impression I have of Brooks is a very understated, yet very talented, gentleman, whose profile in F1 history terms is undeservedly overshadowed by the likes of Moss and Hawthorn.

It is interesting to remember that Brooks retired after 1961. He could have been a WC for BRM the year after as Graham Hill in the same car took the title in 62.

Just a matter of being at the right place at the right time really, as it tends to be in motorsport so often, unfortunately.

ClarkFan
2nd May 2007, 21:27
Maybe, but it's worth noting that Didier was leading the championship for Ferrari when he was seriously injured. Whilst he was never really loved by the Tifosi, he was on the brink of winning a championship for them, and that would have not been forgotten.

Also worth noting that he finished 2nd despite not racing in the last 5 races.

Has any other driver done that?

Well, Jochen Rindt missed the last 4 in 1970 and was Champion.

1982 was the year no one wanted to be champion. After Pironi crashed, McLaren couldn't get Watson's car to the finish often enough and Renault couldn't keep the bits in the box for Prost.

Pironi certainly drove well that year. But, given his total career, I doubt he will be remembered longer than Brooks, who actually won more races in a shorter career. Brooks even managed to win a non-championship race in a Connaught!

ClarkFan