PDA

View Full Version : Team Williams in 2007

jens
24th April 2007, 20:57
So. What do you think, how good prospects does Williams have this season? Last year, as you remember, they started well, but gradually dropped backwards. Will this happen this season again? The situation this season is better due to the fact that they are not running with engines from private engine manufacturer. Cosworth was one of the best engines at the start of last season and one of the worst ones at the end. So the competitiveness of Williams chassis deteriorated together with engine performance. Now with Toyota engine and engine freeze rule there shouldn't be much changes in engine performances, but still... Williams is not as well-funded as their main rivals. Williams seems to have used the same tactic that Renault (the smallest budgeted factory team) used for many years - most of the resources were put into early car development phase and winter testing, which resulted in decent competitiveness at the start, but later noted a step backwards. The strategy seems quite right as it's vital to have a decent racing car for the start of the season than to try to fix problems later (like Honda), when there is not much left to save from a season. But back to Williams - what do you think, how can they maintain their current form and defend their position from the possible attacks of Red Bull and Honda?

Can Williams stay in the Constructors' Top6 till the end of the season?

stevewf1
24th April 2007, 21:33
Its going to be tough for them to maintain their form for the whole season against the bigger teams, but at least they have long term stability with Toyota on board which should help. One problem last year was the fact that they were changing engines at the end of the season, so they probably started to focus on the 2007 season early on at the sacrifice of finishing 2006 strongly.

Sleeper
24th April 2007, 22:53
They seem to have sorted out the reliability problems that ruined their season last year, which will give them a better chance to develope the car as they arent chasing gearbox/hydrolics/radiator problems like they were all of last year. I expect that Red Bull will pass them, but I can see themina a tough fight with Renault and Toyota for at least the next few races.

wedge
25th April 2007, 00:07
Hate to say it but it all comes down to aero, especially now with engine homologation.

Williams have managed to build a good chassis but their aero has been their achilles heel.

Valve Bounce
25th April 2007, 01:32
I thought it was their reliability last year. :confused:

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2007, 08:15
I think Williams have regrouped strongly after last year and are now mixing it with the 'works' Toyotas, which is impressive after only three races with the new engine. Time will tell if their performance fades as the season goes on, but I don't see anything yet to suggest it will, and while their budget may not be the biggest, it will probably be managed better than most of the teams on the grid.

In summary, talk of a Williams decline and fall has been greatly exaggerated!

Donney
25th April 2007, 08:52
I hope you are right Arrows because I'd love to see them back on top.

Garry Walker
25th April 2007, 10:45
I think Williams have regrouped strongly after last year and are now mixing it with the 'works' Toyotas, which is impressive after only three races with the new engine. Time will tell if their performance fades as the season goes on, but I don't see anything yet to suggest it will, and while their budget may not be the biggest, it will probably be managed better than most of the teams on the grid.

In summary, talk of a Williams decline and fall has been greatly exaggerated!

I think Williams this year seems very well managed, but lack of money will catch up soon with them and they will fall back, unfortunately. I find it quite funny actually how a team with a budget as Toyota is getting beaten by a team using the same engine, which has a budget probably 5 times smaller.

Valve Bounce
25th April 2007, 10:50
I hope you are right Arrows because I'd love to see them back on top.

Me too. :up:

wedge
25th April 2007, 13:36
I think Williams this year seems very well managed, but lack of money will catch up soon with them and they will fall back, unfortunately. I find it quite funny actually how a team with a budget as Toyota is getting beaten by a team using the same engine, which has a budget probably 5 times smaller.

As I said, its gonna come down to aero, not money or resources.

Williams have the foundations in place. Last year there was a worry over sponsorship but they've secured the likes of AT&T so the next few years is relatively safe.

They've managed to build a tidy chassis, but as with most teams, they've never made huge gains from the wind tunnel by mid-season.

Williams really needed a manufacturer engine. No disrespect to Cosworth, they were never going to compete with the big boys over a course of a season.

ratonmacias
25th April 2007, 15:50
everybody thinks williams is underfunded but in reality their budget is the highest of the teams that dont have to produce and develop an engine (customers) more so than red bull also they pay only a few million to their drivers which make them even more competitive budget wise.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115585

Sleeper
25th April 2007, 19:17
One thing that does worry me is the Toyota's reliability, we saw a lot of failures last year from Toyota engins i both the Toyota and Midland/Spyker. Lets hope that doesnt carry on this year.

jens
26th April 2007, 20:45
Several sources say different things, but the budget of Williams should indeed be bigger this season than last year and not much behind for example Renault and Red Bull. I suspect that RB still has a bigger budget than Williams and if not, then why is there such a tremendous hype around them? (RB is expected to rise and Williams fall - how come?!?!)

I don't worry much about reliability - at least Toyota works team looks very reliable this season. Williams has had only 1 failure this season so far - Rosberg in Malaysia.

But still I have got some kind of feeling that Red Bull and Honda have more room for improvement. Btw, the downfall of Williams wasn't only last year's case. Also in 2004 and 2005 Williams made a decent start into the season, but fell into real trouble by mid-season and they were then also a well-funded team!

Nikki Katz
29th April 2007, 20:28
Williams only have 2 points don't they? I think they had more than that this time last year, but that's more due to the top 3 teams running away from the rest of the pack this year. Williams are currently one of four teams fighting over the last two points. They stand a reasonable chance of finishing 6th on current form, but if Red Bull find some reliability and perhaps even Honda find some speed in the second half of the season then they could be under threat.

Ed
29th April 2007, 21:01
the team this year slo look alot more technically stronger. Didnt Coutlhard say in sum interview that was one of the good qualities that Wurz was going to bring to the team?

Valve Bounce
30th April 2007, 01:32
Williams only have 2 points don't they? I think they had more than that this time last year, but that's more due to the top 3 teams running away from the rest of the pack this year. Williams are currently one of four teams fighting over the last two points. They stand a reasonable chance of finishing 6th on current form, but if Red Bull find some reliability and perhaps even Honda find some speed in the second half of the season then they could be under threat.

This is a very sad indictment of this once great team. Williams not only won races; they dominated F1 and won championships. Hell!! that seems such a long time ago :(

Garry Walker
30th April 2007, 16:13
As I said, its gonna come down to aero, not money or resources.
So resources and money have nothing to do with aerodynamics and how much time you can spend in the windtunnel? Great piece of logic dude

wedge
30th April 2007, 23:11
So resources and money have nothing to do with aerodynamics and how much time you can spend in the windtunnel? Great piece of logic dude

FYI, Williams have had their own large scale wind tunnel for the past 7/8 years, and its been in 24 hr operation ever since.

Williams recruited new aero guys last autumn.

You can have all the money and resources and that will never be enough unless you have a bunch of talented geeks who have the know how of making a car quicker.

Compared to Ferrari or McLaren, Renault ran a smaller budget and resources and yet managed to build a car that won WDCs.

Gannex
30th April 2007, 23:38
I agree with you, wedge. I hate to say it, because it sounds disloyal coming from a Williams fan, but I think a large part of the team's recent problems has been that Loic Bigois, former Chief of Aerodynamics, has not been up to the job. Now that he has been effectively demoted (though Williams doesn't put it like that), things are looking better and the aero team is starting to produce some really good parts. I think the development path this year will surprise a few people, and that we might be in for a respectable season.

Dazz9908
1st May 2007, 07:18
Their on their way from misery to Happiness again, Uhah uhah.
The we finally seeing the phoenix rise from the ashes of calamity.
Go on ya Frank and Patrick, lets get back where you belong top of the podium.